Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Today’s Top Tip for Remainers – if there’s a 2nd Referendum de

12346»

Comments

• Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

As an oldie and a diabetic, I've just had to get medical approval to have my driving licence renewed. Had it not been renewed would I be disenfranchised as a consequence of being diabetic?

QTWAIN
    I've said I'm an oldie. WTF does that mean?
  • Options

Sort of on topic, my British license doesn't have a photo, it's a ragged old scrap of paper, IIRC with a validity date set for another twenty years away or so. Was I supposed to send it in and get it replaced with a piece of plastic with one of these new-fangled photographs?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/11028839/Driving-licence-changes-what-do-paper-licence-holders-need-to-know.html
    I'm with you even though I know what a photograph is
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,000

As an oldie and a diabetic, I've just had to get medical approval to have my driving licence renewed. Had it not been renewed would I be disenfranchised as a consequence of being diabetic?

QTWAIN
    I’m getting on too...

What the fuck does WTF mean?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797

Gabs2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

La La Land. He is sanctioning a NATO ally for doing what he invited them to do on Wednesday, and he is withdrawing American troops from a country where he says there are no American troops, and he is aiding the resurgence of a terror group that he simultaneously boasts about defeating, and he is sending American troops into the Mid East as he gloats about flying Mid East-based US troops home, and and and

America the Clown.
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/10/trump-kurds-world-order-betrayal.html

It’s worth emphasizing, over and over, that the Turkish invasion wasn’t an unforeseen side effect of Trump’s withdrawal; it was an explicit part of the decision. The official statement that the White House released on Oct. 6 made this clear:

“Turkey will soon be moving forward with its long-planned operation into Northern Syria. The United States Armed Forces will not support or be involved in the operation, and United States forces, having defeated the ISIS territorial “Caliphate,” will no longer be in the immediate area.”

It’s also worth emphasising that total US casualties in the fight against IS were eight.
    For the Kurds, perhaps 11,000.

That is how Trump treats US allies.
    And this is the man Boris wants to tie Britain to.
    That is like saying pro-Europeans want to tie us to fascists like Orban.
    And the Spanish.

Except if we are in the EU we are literally tied to Orban and the Spaniards politically. Outside we are free to do as we please. We can elect a pro-American government or we could elect an anti-American or neutral or a take-each-as-it-comes or a we-hate-Trump-but-liked-Obama-and-could-live-with-Warren government.
    We can do those things within the EU, too.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,900
    nico67 said:

GIN1138 said:

nico67 said:

Suggestions that Johnson might try and get the Benn Act repealed by saying that a deal is close and that another EU summit will be taking place later in October .

If MPs fall for this then they must be mad . Even if a deal is sealed later in October there’s no time for the legislation and what if the talks fall apart with no agreed extension there’s nothing they could do .

Looks like the governments briefings on apparent loopholes in the Benn Act was as everyone thought just bluff and bluster and now their attempts are to dupe MPs into repealing the legislation.

They could just amend the Benn act to take into account the date ot the second summit (which will presumably be announced on Thursday or Friday?) so Benn wouldn't kick in until 28th October (or whenever the second summit takes place)
    Far too late by then . How on earth can MPs pass the legislation for any deal in three days .

And if the talks fall apart then no time to enforce the Act .

Personally I still think Boris will be coming back with a deal on Friday night...
  • Options

QTWAIN
    Question to which the answer is "ni".
  • Options

QTWAIN
    Do they have their own driving licences rules concerning diabetics?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

I'm poor and cannot afford to travel and don't own a car. Would I be disenfranchised for being poor?

Yes, disenfranchising people for being poor (and urban-dwelling) is the entire point of the exercise. However, you'll still be able to get a dedicated voting ID card if you're very determined. They don't mind if *some* undesirable demographics vote, as long as the net effect is in their favour.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    This is the true Wild West, nothing to do with cowboys ..... er?
  • Options

I'm poor and cannot afford to travel and don't own a car. Would I be disenfranchised for being poor?

Yes, disenfranchising people for being poor (and urban-dwelling) is the entire point of the exercise. However, you'll still be able to get a dedicated voting ID card if you're very determined. They don't mind if *some* undesirable demographics vote, as long as the net effect is in their favour.
    Where is Gladstone when you need him?
  • Options
    I've vented so I'm to bed like everyone else. Night all all all all
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited October 2019

Sort of on topic, my British license doesn't have a photo, it's a ragged old scrap of paper, IIRC with a validity date set for another twenty years away or so. Was I supposed to send it in and get it replaced with a piece of plastic with one of these new-fangled photographs?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/11028839/Driving-licence-changes-what-do-paper-licence-holders-need-to-know.html
    Thanks, so the key part is:

Old style paper driving licences issued before the photocard was introduced in 1998 will still be valid and should not be destroyed.

So the people who may turn out not to have this particular photo ID will be people who learned to drive before 1998, but haven't yet reached their 70th birthday, at which point they're required to renew. That's quite a big, and leave-ish, cohort, but I guess they also push you onto a plastic license if you change your details?
  • Options

QTWAIN
    Do they have their own driving licences rules concerning diabetics?
    If you already have a drivers licence card then that would be valid ID even if the licence is suspended or revoked. It will remain valid ID even when the licence expires. So long as you look like the photo it is fine. The licence being renewed or not won't affect your franchise.

Even if you lost and were unable to replace the licence you would be able to get other froms of ID.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Gabs2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

La La Land. He is sanctioning a NATO ally for doing what he invited them to do on Wednesday, and he is withdrawing American troops from a country where he says there are no American troops, and he is aiding the resurgence of a terror group that he simultaneously boasts about defeating, and he is sending American troops into the Mid East as he gloats about flying Mid East-based US troops home, and and and

America the Clown.
    https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/10/trump-kurds-world-order-betrayal.html

It’s worth emphasizing, over and over, that the Turkish invasion wasn’t an unforeseen side effect of Trump’s withdrawal; it was an explicit part of the decision. The official statement that the White House released on Oct. 6 made this clear:

“Turkey will soon be moving forward with its long-planned operation into Northern Syria. The United States Armed Forces will not support or be involved in the operation, and United States forces, having defeated the ISIS territorial “Caliphate,” will no longer be in the immediate area.”

It’s also worth emphasising that total US casualties in the fight against IS were eight.

And the Spanish.

Except if we are in the EU we are literally tied to Orban and the Spaniards politically. Outside we are free to do as we please. We can elect a pro-American government or we could elect an anti-American or neutral or a take-each-as-it-comes or a we-hate-Trump-but-liked-Obama-and-could-live-with-Warren government.
    We can sever ties with Hungary and Spain within the EU? We can ensure that Spanish and Hungarian MEPs and governments have no votes or influence on our laws via the Council of Ministers or European Parliament?

How?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,135

Nigelb said:

Gabs2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

America the Clown.

And the Spanish.

We can sever ties with Hungary and Spain within the EU? We can ensure that Spanish and Hungarian MEPs and governments have no votes or influence on our laws via the Council of Ministers or European Parliament?

How?
    In the EU we can vote for Article 7 procedures against them. Outside we can't.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Gabs2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

America the Clown.

And the Spanish.

How?
    Have you found some of those laws imposed on us by Hispano-Hungarian votes and influence yet? You've had the best part of 24 hours.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

Stop the scare mongering please - you are better than that. It is a system that works very well in NI and has done for decades. The cards are not difficult to get. And there is no evidence of disenfranchisement along the lines you are suggesting.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

No. Expired ID forms are fine as long as the photo still looks like you.

Just look at the NI system. It works.
This discussion has been closed.