Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the betting markets punters move away from Brexit happening

Comments

• Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,302
    Cyclefree said:

If we had an opposition leader with a moral compass, some brains to think with and the ability to string a sentence together, this government would be out on its arse before the day is out.

As it is it will shamelessly ignore the decision and probably win the next GE. God help us.

I think Ed Milliband would have had the trust/confidence of the opposition parties and called the VoNC.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

Imagine if Jeremy Corbyn potentially had an extra-marital affair with someone who he then funnelled over one hundred thousands pounds of public money to. Do you think the BBC News channel would be ignoring it?

No. The BBC has become a mouthpiece for the Tories . And Laura K managed to spin a SC loss into an advert for Bozo the champion of the people .
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    HYUFD said:

theakes said:

Public say Judges right by 49 - 30%. (YouGov) Yet Downing Street seems to be in their own bunker, with everyone closing in on all sides.

That 30% is more than enough to shore up the core Tory vote and 49% is still less than half the voters and almost identical to the 48% who voted Remain in 2016
    Isn’t there an argument HY that when one sides supporters are unenthusiastic and tell pollsters they ain’t going to vote, it skews the picture so other sides think they are more ahead than they might actually be come polling day?
  • Options
    Should I join the LibDems then? It's the logical conclusion to my deliberations
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Jolyon on Sky saying he has another case in Scotland requesting that the Scottish Courts rule that BoJo has to state before the court he will comply with the Benn bill.

I think these people really need to understand when they are causing more resentment with the electorate than they are gaining.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Cyclefree said:

If we had an opposition leader with a moral compass, some brains to think with and the ability to string a sentence together, this government would be out on its arse before the day is out.

As it is it will shamelessly ignore the decision and probably win the next GE. God help us.

The sad fact is that anything , just anything, is better than Corbyn.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    TGOHF2 said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF2 said:

HYUFD said:

For the first time in my life I'm actually looking at emigrating.

No Deal and Corbyn are going to painfully feck this country like dry anal never before, and I'm one of life's optimists.

The Commons has just blocked No Deal and all the polling shows it is a Tory PM agreeing further extension that leads to PM Corbyn not No Deal
    Can’t have no deal until 2022 now unless there is a a long extension.
    We can if the Tories win a majority on a Deal or No Deal ticket
    Need an election for that - 2022 most likely date now surely ?
    No as Boris will go into opposition rather than stay PM and agree to extend then VONC the new PM as soon as they have extended to force a GE
  • Options
    Byronic said:

kinabalu said:

Wouldn't most people struggle to spell pharmaceuticals? It's like manoeuvre or Taoiseach.

Mischievous for me. Amongst others but that is the big one.
    Ophthalmologist.

99.9% of people do not realize the first ‘h’ is between the first ‘p’ and ‘t’
    Indispensable. The ‘a’ just feels WRONG.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881

Jolyon on Sky saying he has another case in Scotland requesting that the Scottish Courts rule that BoJo has to state before the court he will comply with the Benn bill.

I think these people really need to understand when they are causing more resentment with the electorate than they are gaining.

Trying to get a judicial review of a decision the government hasn’t made yet? That’s certainly a novel approach.

There’s not a cat in Hell’s chance Boris Johnson is ever going to sign that letter. As soon as a court compels him to do so, the government will resign and let Parliament find someone who will sign it.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF2 said:

HYUFD said:

No Deal and Corbyn are going to painfully feck this country like dry anal never before, and I'm one of life's optimists.

The Commons has just blocked No Deal and all the polling shows it is a Tory PM agreeing further extension that leads to PM Corbyn not No Deal
    In what election?
    Not allowing an election for the next 2 years would utterly destroy Labour and the Lib Dems.
    Stop going against the will of the people.
    I think that is you old chap. The people want an election. It is the scum in Parliament who are denying them.
    Do the people want an election?
    Labour and the LDs were insisting 'the people' wanted one not long ago.

I don't think the people are, but it's just plain silly at the moment.
  • Options
    egg said:

HYUFD said:

theakes said:

Public say Judges right by 49 - 30%. (YouGov) Yet Downing Street seems to be in their own bunker, with everyone closing in on all sides.

That 30% is more than enough to shore up the core Tory vote and 49% is still less than half the voters and almost identical to the 48% who voted Remain in 2016
    Isn’t there an argument HY that when one sides supporters are unenthusiastic and tell pollsters they ain’t going to vote, it skews the picture so other sides think they are more ahead than they might actually be come polling day?
    Well if Labour voters are now unenthusiastic compared to 2017 given current Labour polling that is dire for Corbyn
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Has anyone done the basic arithmetic (ie counting) to work out when GE would in theory be.

If Corbyn waits until after Thurs 31 Oct:

1) If Lab then support motion for a GE on say Mon 4 Nov, 5 weeks from the next Thurs (7 Nov) will be Thurs 12 Dec.

2) But suppose Govt doesn't support motion and Lab then goes VONC route. It's then a minimum of 7 weeks from Thurs 7 Nov which is …………. Thurs 26 Dec! Which is obviously impossible! Which then means going into January.

But wait a minute - that would be within a month of new Brexit deadline of 31 Jan - so would the Commons then need to decide to extend again before dissolving for the GE?

I think it's inconceivable that the EU will agree an extension only to 31st January.

That's a fake date put in the legislation for political manoeuvring purposes. The extension will have to be for longer precisely to allow for an election, a referendum, or both.

I think 31st December 2020 is most likely.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,708
    spudgfsh said:

Cyclefree said:

I think Ed Milliband would have had the trust/confidence of the opposition parties and called the VoNC.
    At the moment, the Government have only 288 MPs.
    Unfortunately, the opposition only have 53 (35SNP + 18LD).
    The Labour party have completely taken themselves out of the equation, and resort to ranting from the sidelines (usually calling for an election, or demanding someone resign - all something they could force) instead of doing anything useful.
    And worse is that probably 200 Labour MPs should know better.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Was thinking about the chuckling at lab conf about shortest serving PM ever. Isn't the simple response to say 'one day as her majesty's PM is the greatest honour and is one day more than the rt hon member opposite will ever serve.'?
  • Options

If you no longer want to be in a Union with Scotland, just say.
  • Options

Was thinking about the chuckling at lab conf about shortest serving PM ever. Isn't the simple response to say 'one day as her majesty's PM is the greatest honour and is one day more than the rt hon member opposite will ever serve.'?

Probably, but Boris is so ego driven I doubt he would think of that response - being so short serving will probably really upset him.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046

Ostracised? By whom? The Labour Party? That other party in competition to hers?

It really is remarkable the number of Labour politicians who consider the Lib Dems a wholly owned subsidiary of theirs, and believe they should be chastened when they don't behave.
    Yeah. F*****rs.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

It come down to the vastly important question of pies. Are you prepared to be utterly selfless in the wider interest? .... :naughty:
  • Options

nico67 said:

Leavers wanted sovereignty and that’s exactly what they’ve got .

British judges deciding on British law . What’s not to like unless of course the decision doesn’t go your way!

I agree that this is the right decision as was the first Miller case. I still genuinely don't know what Boris was trying to achieve with such a provocative and legally dubious (at the time) act.

But one should not confuse the actions and intentions of the judges - which was to uphold the law as they understand it - with the actions and intentions of those opposing the Government. They have only one aim which is to prevent Brexit. (Snip)
    It's far more grey than that in some cases, isn't it? Take Rory Stewart. Once a remainer, but about the only Conservative aside from May willing to really sell May's deal - a deal you also supported (although probably reluctantly) as being Brexit. He was supporting Brexit.

Yet he got the whip withdrawn for voting to stop a no-deal Brexit - i.e. opposing the government.
    I was referring specifically to those opposing the Government in this court case.
    From his Twitter, he hardly seems to be supporting the government wrt the court case!
  • Options

It really is remarkable the number of Labour politicians who consider the Lib Dems a wholly owned subsidiary of theirs, and believe they should be chastened when they don't behave.
    Indeed. While both oppose the Tories, it doesn't follow they will agree on everything, or else they really would be in the same party. People act like LD voters are directly transferable to Labour as well. They're probably still more willing to tactically back Labour at the present time because of the remain position, but many LDs are passionately for their own identity.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,120
    Sandpit said:

Trying to get a judicial review of a decision the government hasn’t made yet? That’s certainly a novel approach.

There’s not a cat in Hell’s chance Boris Johnson is ever going to sign that letter. As soon as a court compels him to do so, the government will resign and let Parliament find someone who will sign it.
    I think that's a very high-risk strategy, given that the polls indicate only minority support for leaving without a deal. People are likely to be very concerned by what is about to happen, and for the prime minister to resign without a successor having been arranged for could look irresponsible, to say the least.

Has it ever happened before that the prime minister has resigned without a successor being ready to take over?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Probably, but Boris is so ego driven I doubt he would think of that response - being so short serving will probably really upset him.
    Oh well I'll save it for my first PMQs
  • Options
    JackW said:

It come down to the vastly important question of pies. Are you prepared to be utterly selfless in the wider interest? .... :naughty:
    Any party that offers me free Hollands Meat and Potato pies gets my vote. Any party....
  • Options

i would have written the same post if it was the NI or English courts, I stated Scottish to be factual as to where the case is going to happen so people know.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

I think you are missing the point - the result of the peoples vote in Scotland was remain.

What this poster does or doesn't want is immaterial in comparison isn't it?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Imagine if Jeremy Corbyn potentially had an extra-marital affair with someone who he then funnelled over one hundred thousands pounds of public money to. Do you think the BBC News channel would be ignoring it?

No. The BBC has become a mouthpiece for the Tories . And Laura K managed to spin a SC loss into an advert for Bozo the champion of the people .
    She is a disgrace.
  • Options

JackW said:

Any party that offers me free Hollands Meat and Potato pies gets my vote. Any party....
    It's "Potato and Meat" Pie. Due to the "meat" content being less than 10%.

Bloody gorgeous though.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

nico67 said:

She is a disgrace.
    Strong criticism... from someone so partisan.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    edited September 2019
    As I've been saying all day at 11am tomorrow Boris needs to walk out of Downing Street and say the government is resigning.

"Unfortunately we are unable to govern. The legislature has become the excutive and so it is now time for them to form a government if they can or to have a general election if they can't. In the meantime you'll find the Conservative Party in Birmingham having our party conference".

And than stand back and watch the Rabble Alliance go at it like ferrets in a sack by half past two.... ;)
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268

nico67 said:

She is a disgrace.
    Don't be ridiculous. Laura Kuensburg is a down the line impartial reporter. It is ridiculous how everyone sees the BBC as biased just because they don't report the news to their political preferences.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    HYUFD said:

TGOHF2 said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF2 said:

HYUFD said:

No as Boris will go into opposition rather than stay PM and agree to extend then VONC the new PM as soon as they have extended to force a GE
    As soon as Boris goes ino opposition he loses all the leverage, patronage and prerogative of being the PM. Corbyn would at the same time gain these. Just think about it : Prime Minstser Jeremy Corbyn. The Tories would turn against Boris if he tried going down that road as noone knows where it would lead.
  • Options

They're ignoring the fact that he's a stupid communist, so why not?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

nico67 said:

She is a disgrace.
    I used to defend her but no more . Her BBC news item was a disgrace , she spent more time on bigging up Bozo the people’s champion and then played the poor Bozo , MPs will now make his life hell.

She may aswell join no 10 .
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

I wouldn't belong to any party - but you could do worse than vote for them.

Labour being an example of far, far worse.
  • Options

JackW said:

It's "Potato and Meat" Pie. Due to the "meat" content being less than 10%.

Bloody gorgeous though.
    I had one last night. Went and bought another four pack today from Sainsbury's.
    They might have to go in my 'Brexit' box (albeit in the freezer).
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Gabs2 said:

nico67 said:

She is a disgrace.
    Don't be ridiculous. Laura Kuensburg is a down the line impartial reporter. It is ridiculous how everyone sees the BBC as biased just because they don't report the news to their political preferences.
    Give over , she is impartial , the same way you are.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leaver vox pop on the Beeb -

"Look 31 October we're out. Deal or no Deal I don't care. We've done it before and we can do it again."

And these people have a vote.

Perhaps the solution is like the one in "the city and the city" where the brexiters live separate lives and don't perceive remainers, and we carry on as before We can give them blue passports so border guards can tell the difference.
  • Options

Yes.
  • Options

It's been funded by the Ecotricity founder Dale Vince. They are going via the Scottish Courts as apparently the Court of Session has a unique legal ability to act instead of the PM if he refuses to send the letter - or so the claim argues. In short of Boris doesn't fulfill his statutory duty the Court of Session could do it for him. As with all cases we'll have to see. Though if you've watched the 15 minute summary judgement from Lady Hale today the Judicial Branch in general isn't going to let Boris trash the constitution by ignoring statute law. The tone and presentation was quite stark.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Chris said:

Sandpit said:

I think that's a very high-risk strategy, given that the polls indicate only minority support for leaving without a deal. People are likely to be very concerned by what is about to happen, and for the prime minister to resign without a successor having been arranged for could look irresponsible, to say the least.

Has it ever happened before that the prime minister has resigned without a successor being ready to take over?
    It’s definitely a high-risk strategy, but he’d be completely boxed into a corner. Sign the letter and lose the confidence of his own party, or resign as PM and fight the election as the guy who wouldn’t sign the letter.

Given the LotO refuses to initiate a vote of confidence or support an election, the PM is left with very little choice in the matter.

I seem to recall discussion on here about once before when a PM resigned without nominating a successor (1970s?) but of course that was before the FTPA and all that entails. I wonder if in practice he’d ask Her Majesty to call for the Father of the House, who just happens to be one of the MPs mooted as potentially someone who’d sign the letter and oversee a dissolution.

Boris’s dream scenario would be a court having someone else sign the letter while he remained PM to fight the election, just as Joylon is trying to get a Scottish court to do.
  • Options
    PeterC said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF2 said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF2 said:

HYUFD said:

As soon as Boris goes ino opposition he loses all the leverage, patronage and prerogative of being the PM. Corbyn would at the same time gain these. Just think about it : Prime Minstser Jeremy Corbyn. The Tories would turn against Boris if he tried going down that road as noone knows where it would lead.
    The other thing Corbyn would gain is access to all the official assessments of and planning for a No Deal Brexit. If I were in Boris Johnson's shoes, I really wouldn't want that information handed over to my opponents.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

She is a disgrace.
    I used to defend her but no more . Her BBC news item was a disgrace , she spent more time on bigging up Bozo the people’s champion and then played the poor Bozo , MPs will now make his life hell.

She may aswell join no 10 .
    Spot on.
  • Options

JackW said:

It profits a man nothing to give his franchise for the whole world .... but for a Hollands meat and potato pie @TheValiant ?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    @Tabman

It's a thought, I'll give you that.

But what the clip showed was how leaving the EU is in the minds of people like that guy totally bound up with WW2 fetishism.

This is not a good thing.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    PeterC said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF2 said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF2 said:

HYUFD said:

Corbyn wouldn't be PM, the LDs and Independents and Tory rebels would vote him down, more likely it would be Clarke or Beckett.

However a PM Corbyn extending would destroy Labour in Labour Leave seats with dozens falling to the Tories and the Brexit Party at the next general election
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Sandpit said:

Chris said:

Sandpit said:

It’s definitely a high-risk strategy, but he’d be completely boxed into a corner. Sign the letter and lose the confidence of his own party, or resign as PM and fight the election as the guy who wouldn’t sign the letter.

Given the LotO refuses to initiate a vote of confidence or support an election, the PM is left with very little choice in the matter.

I seem to recall discussion on here about once before when a PM resigned without nominating a successor (1970s?) but of course that was before the FTPA and all that entails. I wonder if in practice he’d ask Her Majesty to call for the Father of the House, who just happens to be one of the MPs mooted as potentially someone who’d sign the letter and oversee a dissolution.

Boris’s dream scenario would be a court having someone else sign the letter while he remained PM to fight the election, just as Joylon is trying to get a Scottish court to do.
    i was wondering if the got could engineer some king of indicative vote on who should replace BoJo to prove to Queenie who did or did not have the confidence of the house. If no one then Boris resigns and tells Queenie call no one.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF2 said:

HYUFD said:

In what election?
    Not allowing an election for the next 2 years would utterly destroy Labour and the Lib Dems.
    Stop going against the will of the people.
    I think that is you old chap. The people want an election. It is the scum in Parliament who are denying them.
    Do the people want an election? Is there any recent polling on this?

I don't find any enthusiasm for one, more apathy and boredom with the whole rotten business.
    Boris lost his majority a few weeks back.
  • Options
    I bet reform of the judiciary will feature in the next majority govt
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited September 2019

We have travelled down the same road albeit at at different speeds. I left the Labour Party not too long after Corbyn took over. Becoming a registered supporter of the LDs rather than a full member might be the answer, it's what I am going to do.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Chris said:

Sandpit said:

Parliament is the governments successor.

Each and everytime they have taken over the order paper they have effectively become the government.

We're in a situation of two governments running parallel - The Conservatives aren't even going to be "allowed" to have their conference by the nominal government. Its an intolerable situation and it needs to end tomorrow.

Now if Parliament can't agree on a leader for their government it's hardly Boris's fault. That's on Parliament as they should have thought about what the consequences would be of forming a second government to rival the current government.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Chris said:

Sandpit said:

i was wondering if the got could engineer some king of indicative vote on who should replace BoJo to prove to Queenie who did or did not have the confidence of the house. If no one then Boris resigns and tells Queenie call no one. Of course The Rabble Alliance would have another 14 days to find somebody.
    Indeed otherwise Boris will have guaranteed a snap general election
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Chris said:

Sandpit said:

Parliament is the governments successor.

Each and everytime they have taken over the order paper thry have effectively become the government.

We're in a situation of two governments running parallel - The Conservatives aren't even going to be "allowed" to have their conference by the nominal government. Its an intolerable situation and it needs to end tomorrow.
    How can anyone be so loopy?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

@Tabman

It's a thought, I'll give you that.

But what the clip showed was how leaving the EU is in the minds of people like that guy totally bound up with WW2 fetishism.

This is not a good thing.

Yes, utterly depressing
  • Options

I expect the next Tory manifesto will include US Supreme Court style hearings for new top judges
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

i was wondering if the got could engineer some king of indicative vote on who should replace BoJo to prove to Queenie who did or did not have the confidence of the house. If no one then Boris resigns and tells Queenie call no one. Of course The Rabble Alliance would have another 14 days to find somebody.

Indeed otherwise Boris will have guaranteed a snap general election
    That would almost certainly make either Swinson or Corbyn Blink. They'd get together and form a GNU for long enough to engineer an election.
  • Options
    The 14 day window does NOT apply if Johnson resigns voluntarily
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited September 2019
    HYUFD said:

I expect the next Tory manifesto will include US Supreme Court style hearings for new top judges
    Ah, I see. Depoliticising the judiciary by politicising the judiciary. But passing the power from the PM to Parliament? Interesting.
  • Options

I think, although I may be wrong, that he can only formally resign if he can name a successor. regardless as to what happens within parliament he would remain PM until someone can prove that they have confidence of the house. This still holds regardless as to whether the FTPA applies or not
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

I think, although I may be wrong, that he can only formally resign if he can name a successor. regardless as to what happens within parliament he would remain PM until someone can prove that they have confidence of the house. This still holds regardless as to whether the FTPA applies or not
    Yes agreed, but if he resigns there is no 14 days and then GE unless it's a formal FTPA no confidence resignation
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    HYUFD said:

I really hope we don’t go down that rabbit hole.

An 11-person court today ruled unanimously against the government, what needs to happen now is for everyone to move on whether we liked the decision or not.

Do you really want an American style system, where politicians cheer a judge dying, where an 86 year old woman is being pumped full of drugs and told she can’t retire, where someone’s partying at university is somehow relevant to their employment 35 years later, etc etc?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    HYUFD said:

You really want that shit from the US?
  • Options
    This truly is the Rotten Parliament.. I have looked in vain for the bookmaker odds on the two most fitting candidates for its next PM. They are surely Jared Omara or Keith Vaz.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

An 11-person court today ruled unanimously against the government, what needs to happen now is for everyone to move on whether we liked the decision or not.
    There's too much to gain politically by demonising the court (while making phoney comments about totally respecting it). Boris needs to keep the anger going until there's an election, which might still be some way off, so it won't stop.
  • Options

spudgfsh said:

Yes agreed, but if he resigns there is no 14 days and then GE unless it's a formal FTPA no confidence resignation
    Parliament would then have to start voting on who had the confidence of the house and the FTPA would kick in automatically.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    I seem to remember (but could be completely wrong) that is it not the case that whilst the official Opposition have the unarguable *right* to call a no confidence motion, the other smaller parties can ask the government to consider it - they didn't have to, but in this situation might that be something they are desperate for? The SNP seem punchy for a no-confidence motion.

Wasn't this something that was touched on months ago when other parties were urging Labour to call a vote on May?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

We must slavishly follow 52-48 victories but not 100-0 ones, it seems
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

spudgfsh said:

Parliament would then have to start voting on who had the confidence of the house and the FTPA would kick in automatically.
    I dont see why it kicks in? No no confidence motion or 2/3 vote has been passed
  • Options
    So Parliament is going to after the legal advice again apparently. Perhaps I'm being stupid, but what is gained from doing so? We already know that the legal advice was wrong, as it turned out.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

I seem to remember (but could be completely wrong) that is it not the case that whilst the official Opposition have the unarguable *right* to call a no confidence motion, the other smaller parties can ask the government to consider it - they didn't have to, but in this situation might that be something they are desperate for? The SNP seem punchy for a no-confidence motion.

Wasn't this something that was touched on months ago when other parties were urging Labour to call a vote on May?

They can ask the Speaker to consider it. I wonder what he’ll say?
  • Options

spudgfsh said:

spudgfsh said:

It doesn't. The position is exactly the same as when Theresa May resigned.

Boris Johnson's command of the confidence of the House of Commons has never been tested.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

There's a different approach here. there is no 'for life' appointment and there is a mandatory retirement
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

They can ask to Speaker to consider it. I wonder what he’ll say?
    If Labour wouldn't back it at that time, and they'd surely indicate if that was so, he'd say no. Not because he does what they say, but because he won't want there to be a vote called by the opposition on it unless it would succeed.
  • Options

spudgfsh said:

spudgfsh said:

once, say, Jeremy Corbyn tries (and fails) to obtain the confidence of the house the FPTA will kick in.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

spudgfsh said:

Parliament would indeed be reconvened immediately to try and work out who has their confidence, but the FTPA 14-day window doesn’t kick in unless a specifically worded motion is passed that “This house has no confidence in HM government”, which would first require a new PM to be nominated and installed.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

spudgfsh said:

spudgfsh said:

once, say, Jeremy Corbyn tries (and fails) to obtain the confidence of the house the FPTA will kick in.
    Ah gotcha yeah
  • Options

spudgfsh said:

spudgfsh said:

Boris Johnson's command of the confidence of the House of Commons has never been tested.
    No the position is not the same. May resigned as leader of the Tory party. Her stepping down as PM was only as a consequence of that. If Boris stood down as PM and remained leader of the Tory party then someone else would have to be selected from Parliament to try and form a Government and face a vote of confidence. On face value there is no one who appears to be able to do that.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
  • Options
    Here are some more detailed implied probabilities from Betfair (small amount of rounding applied and some of these markets moved a bit while I was compiling so as ever DYOR).

Cumulative probabilities of Brexit/General Election (XXX = no market)
    By 31 Oct 2019: Any Brexit 19%; GE 2%
    By 30 Nov 2019: Any Brexit XXX; GE 37%
    By 31 Dec 2019: Any Brexit 33% (No Deal 18%, Deal 15%); GE 72%
    By 30 June 2020: Any Brexit 58%; GE XXX
    By 31 Dec 2020: Any Brexit 67%; GE 98%
    By 31 Dec 2021: Any Brexit 75%; GE 99%

GE before Brexit (or No Brexit): 82%
    2nd referendum in 2019: 4%
    Article 50 revoked: 31%

GE most seats: Con 67%, Lab 22%, LD 7%, Other 4%
    GE majority: None 57%, Con 33%, Lab 7%, LD 2%, Brexit 1%
  • Options

Mortgage finance is another issue where the system is biased against the young. For the same occupier, the state owned banks will lend more to a landlord than an owner using the occupiers income. It is hugely unfair and a state handout to the already wealthy at the expense of the young.

Err:

Buy-to-let mortgages are a lot like ordinary mortgages, but with some key differences:

- The fees tend to be much higher.

- Interest rates on buy-to-let mortgages are usually higher.

- The minimum deposit for a buy-to-let mortgage is usually 25% of the property’s value (although it can vary between 20-40%).

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/articles/buy-to-let-mortgages

And now you can't even count it all as a business expense, and you pay more stamp duty, and you pay CGT if you do sell.

If that's a 'state handout to the already wealthy', I'd like to see what you think a penalty is.
    Imagine someone earning 50k willing to spend 2k a month on rent but preferring to buy a house. The banks will lend them around 200k if they want to buy.

A landlord can borrow up to £331,034 based on that persons rent of 2k per month.

https://www.landc.co.uk/calculators/buy-to-let-mortgage-calculator/

Obvious outcome: Landlord outbids the tenant

Longer term outcome: The young have little stake in society and turn to Corbynism.

Then why criticise them for voting for Corbyn? Perhaps he will help them regain their stake in society. It's not like any other politician has anything to offer them.
  • Options
    Queen: Da fuq, Bozza?
    Boris: All is fine, your most gracious majesty.
  • Options
    TGOHF2TGOHF2 Posts: 584

spudgfsh said:

spudgfsh said:

No the position is not the same. May resigned as leader of the Tory party. Her stepping down as PM was only as a consequence of that. If Boris stood down as PM and remained leader of the Tory party then someone else would have to be selected from Parliament to try and form a Government and face a vote of confidence. On face value there is no one who appears to be able to do that.
    Boris would be better off waiting for send a letter day to do that.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

spudgfsh said:

spudgfsh said:

Parliament would indeed be reconvened immediately to try and work out who has their confidence, but the FTPA 14-day window doesn’t kick in unless a specifically worded motion is passed that “This house has no confidence in HM government”, which would first require a new PM to be nominated and installed.
    Does the Queen have to nominate a new PM if no one can show they have the confidence of the House. Once again the huge gaps in the FTPA become apparent
  • Options
    TGOHF2 said:

spudgfsh said:

spudgfsh said:

Boris would be better off waiting for send a letter day to do that.
    I agree.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Trump should never have actually gone after his political opponents. Rookie mistake.

Pelosi was perfectly fine to let the Ruling Class get away with any old shit they liked but Trump had to disturb that order by going after one of their own in Biden.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

spudgfsh said:

spudgfsh said:

as I said before, the PM can't resign unless there is someone to take over. they can resign every other position but until the HoC has confidence in someone else they will remain PM.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Not really, but surely its the natual conclussion of having having a "Supreme Court" ?

Just as an elected HoL is the natural end point of removing the hereditary peers and filling it up with cronies instead?

A fully federal UK should also be the end point of devolution as well?

All these things seem to flow naturally from the New Labour reforms... Its just taking us a long time to get there...
  • Options

spudgfsh said:

spudgfsh said:

His position as leader of the Conservative party is separate from the question of whether he or anyone else commands the confidence of the Commons. There is no in-built role in the constitution for the Conservative party.
  • Options
    BBC News - Boris and Brenda have had a chat. No news yet on whether Brenda has followed Lady Hales and handed the Prime Minister his testicles, albeit on a charming silver salver.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Notr really, but surely its the natual conclussion of having having a "Supreme Court" ?

A name is just a name, it doesn't lead them to any particular destination, especially when whatever the consequences of today's ruling the balance of power between the institutions in this nation are still quite different to those of the United States.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

spudgfsh said:

spudgfsh said:

Does the Queen have to nominate a new PM if no one can show they have the confidence of the House. Once again the huge gaps in the FTPA become apparent
    If a PM can’t be nominated from the rabble sitting opposite the current government, then does she have any choice left but to dissolve Parliament?

In practice they’ll have to nominate someone, if they want that letter sent to Brussels. Even if that person resigns a day later.

Yes, the FTPA is the most almighty constitutional fcukup. Thanks Nick Clegg for that one!
  • Options
    JackW said:

BBC News - Boris and Brenda have had a chat. No news yet on whether Brenda has followed Lady Hales and handed the Prime Minister his testicles, albeit on a charming silver salver.

Presumably that’s just the horse’s doofers for the full-on face-to-face bollocking she’s going to give him?
  • Options
    JackW said:

This post really confused me considering Lady Hale's first name is, in fact, Brenda...
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    TGOHF2 said:
    Wonder if the Supreme Court had that in mind when they ruled earlier? :D
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    OllyT said:

We have travelled down the same road albeit at at different speeds. I left the Labour Party not too long after Corbyn took over. Becoming a registered supporter of the LDs rather than a full member might be the answer, it's what I am going to do.
    I was not aware that people could register as 'Tory Little Helpers'.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    JackW said:

Brenda from the Bar, Brenda in Balmoral and Brenda from Bristol.

(That’s quite enough Brendas - Ed)
  • Options
    TGOHF2 said:
    Yeah, because that will make the current constitutional crisis better, a change in Monarch. It's the last thing she would do, unless her health meant that she could not fulfil her role.
This discussion has been closed.