Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the betting markets punters move away from Brexit happening

Comments

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Given Boris will resign as PM by October 31st rather than extend if a new Brexit Deal has not been agreed with the EU and approved by Parliament by then and given the LDs will vote down a Corbyn government as will Tory anti No Deal rebels only a PM acceptable to the LDs and Tory rebels will do. That probably means PM Ken Clarke or maybe PM Harman or PM Beckett by the end of October.

Have you considered the optics of Boris coming back from the European Council summit empty handed and then resigning? He will look like a total loser.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,991
    edited September 2019
    kinabalu said:

The Labour Party appear to be floating a range of ideas which might benefit ordinary people at the expense of wealthy vested interests.

They really ought to stop that.

Like scrapping private schools, 32 hour weeks and according to the Labour MP for Brighton Kemptown Labour should even enable the state to take over private housing
  • Options

Not going for a GE will backfire massively on the rebel alliance. They will be getting that doorstep feedback again. What's the selling point when they finally allow one? We prevented Brexit against the expressed will of the referendum and played political games to do it, now please throw us some fish from the bucket?! We delayed and now we want to rule so we can delay some more!
    Anger is going to boil over in the ballot box and a hell of a lot are going to be swept away by it.

I think anger can go in many directions. I am angry about what a bunch of far right loons have done to the Conservative Party, economic stability, the constitution and the Monarch. Yea, in a non-violent way I am very angry, and I want Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson to be totally humiliated in some way or other (ideally not via Mr Thicky Corbyn). It will be the biggest amount of schadenfreude I have ever allowed myself when he is ignominiously removed from power in absolute disgrace and goes down in history as the worst most incompetent idiot to ever have held high office
    Oh I think the anger is at the lot of them and the election will go to whoever best encapsulates 'fuck the system'
    That seems atm to be Johnson
    Possibly. Personally I think the anger should be directed at those who conned a gullible electorate into thinking it was going to be easy. Simplistic Populism : Wrecking a stable democracy near you.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    edited September 2019
    kinabalu said:

The Labour Party appear to be floating a range of ideas which might benefit ordinary people at the expense of wealthy vested interests.

I'm no expert on the pharma industry so wouldn't know whether having a state owned drugs monopoly is a good idea in terms of producing drugs that people want and need.

Nor am I clear how any resulting drugs shortage benefits those left behind.

But as you say we voted leave to turn things on their head and this looks like doing that.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Sandpit said:

spudgfsh said:

malcolmg said:

Free presciption, free unis, free social care, free training.

taxes up for top 5%, and corporations

Money forest is blooming
    It always amazes me that the left/hard left don't realise that they can put tax rates up as much as they want for the top end but it doesn't always raise more tax.
    Do you reckon any of them have ever even heard of Arthur Laffer?
    He of the unquantified and unproven curve?

Yer 'avin' a laffer aren't you!?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,605
    RobD said:

Femi
    @Femi_Sorry
    ·
    5h
    Boris Johnson is currently in New York, where he was born, and will soon be attempting to enter the UK.

Maybe you're right,
    @BorisJohnson
    , maybe we should send back any migrant who breaks our laws?

Can't because he only has British citizenship. :p
    This government changed that when it withdrew Shamina Begum's British passport, on the grounds that she was eligible for a Bangladeshi one.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Can you please define an 'ordinary' person? Is it someone with two legs, two arms and a head (in which case, the disability rights people will rightly be after your head)?

Or is it anyone who isn't 'rich' (which usually just means someone who is slightly more wealthy than you, and might include Corbyn himself), or the 'establishment' (which as we've seen, seems too include everyone aside from Mrs Miggin's blind bridge partner's hamster) ?

As a contributor to PB, are you, in fact, ordinary? ;)
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Could big drug companies just withdraw from the UK?

What % of the market does the UK comprise?

Might they just say "OK, we won't bother doing any business in the UK. Bye!"
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Given Boris will resign as PM by October 31st rather than extend if a new Brexit Deal has not been agreed with the EU and approved by Parliament by then and given the LDs will vote down a Corbyn government as will Tory anti No Deal rebels only a PM acceptable to the LDs and Tory rebels will do. That probably means PM Ken Clarke or maybe PM Harman or PM Beckett by the end of October.

Boris will be Leader of the Opposition regardless with Corbyn forced to prop up a Clarke or Harman premiership until extension has been passed and Boris then pushes a VONC he will have to support

These are somewhat different to the confident predictions you made about your hero only a few days ago? Have we shifted to a parallel universe, or are you still talking unsubstantiated guesswork/crap?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

OK lets take it on face value.

If you want to help "ordinary people" (never quite sure why the unusual do not need government to work for them as well), then you need to be in power.

There is a deeply unpopular prime minister who has just been found to have broken the law on a major constitutional matter and a parliamentary "majority" of -40. It should be easy to replace him, all you need to do is carry the centre ground who are scared of the radical change offered by no deal Brexit.

You could do that by focusing on house building and education for example, leaving the other areas for the future. You do not do it by offering radical change of your own, that the centre cannot get behind.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,815
    kinabalu said:

Jezza going the full Tony Benn. Probably the most radical left agenda since the late seventies\ early eighties

Is this not what we wanted the Leave vote to trigger - a junking of the stale old politics which ignored the plebs?

It wasn't just about less immigrants surely to goodness?
    Yes. Partly anyway.
  • Options

Within weeks we would have no drugs for the NHS that are produced abroad and within a year the destruction of our pharma sector. From just one of the lunatic policies!
    It is not achievable within the EU (or single market)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Have you considered the optics of Boris coming back from the European Council summit empty handed and then resigning? He will look like a total loser.
    No, Boris will say the EU has refused to scrap the backstop and rather than do a May and agree Munich Agreement 2 or extend again and betray Brexit he will lead the Tories into opposition on a Brexit Deal or No Deal platform and prepare the next stage of the war with the die hard Remainers
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586

Not going for a GE will backfire massively on the rebel alliance. They will be getting that doorstep feedback again. What's the selling point when they finally allow one? We prevented Brexit against the expressed will of the referendum and played political games to do it, now please throw us some fish from the bucket?! We delayed and now we want to rule so we can delay some more!
    Anger is going to boil over in the ballot box and a hell of a lot are going to be swept away by it.

I think anger can go in many directions. I am angry about what a bunch of far right loons have done to the Conservative Party, economic stability, the constitution and the Monarch. Yea, in a non-violent way I am very angry, and I want Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson to be totally humiliated in some way or other (ideally not via Mr Thicky Corbyn). It will be the biggest amount of schadenfreude I have ever allowed myself when he is ignominiously removed from power in absolute disgrace and goes down in history as the worst most incompetent idiot to ever have held high office
    Oh I think the anger is at the lot of them and the election will go to whoever best encapsulates 'fuck the system'
    Right now both sides of the political spectrum are putting in a very strong bid for that.
    Though 'smash it to smithereens and damn the consequences' might be more accurate.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

mr thicky is currently outplaying the oxford brains
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No, Boris will say the EU has refused to scrap the backstop and rather than do a May and agree Munich Agreement 2 or extend again and betray Brexit he will lead the Tories into opposition on a Brexit Deal or No Deal platform and prepare the next stage of the war with the die hard Remainers
    Is that die hard or diehard? I like to get the temrinology right.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Possibly. Personally I think the anger should be directed at those who conned a gullible electorate into thinking it was going to be easy. Simplistic Populism : Wrecking a stable democracy near you.
    Theres an argument for that yes, but rn I think Boris stands best chance of riding the anger wave. That might change
  • Options

Rory Stewart talking a lot of sense on R4...

... no wonder he stood no chance in the Tory leadership contest.

What did he say?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Boris will be Leader of the Opposition regardless with Corbyn forced to prop up a Clarke or Harman premiership until extension has been passed and Boris then pushes a VONC he will have to support

When's the referendum on the backstop in Northern Ireland?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

If you want to help "ordinary people" (never quite sure why the unusual do not need government to work for them as well), then you need to be in power.

There is a deeply unpopular prime minister who has just been found to have broken the law on a major constitutional matter and a parliamentary "majority" of -40. It should be easy to replace him, all you need to do is carry the centre ground who are scared of the radical change offered by no deal Brexit.

You could do that by focusing on house building and education for example, leaving the other areas for the future. You do not do it by offering radical change of your own, that the centre cannot get behind.

He isn't a deeply unpopular PM according to polling. Hes slightly negatively viewed. That's something it's easy to forget in the maelstrom.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    If all big drug companies stop selling in the UK then presumably very large amounts of people really might die.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

These are somewhat different to the confident predictions you made about your hero only a few days ago? Have we shifted to a parallel universe, or are you still talking unsubstantiated guesswork/crap?
    No it is what I have been saying for weeks
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

this will put the cat among the pigeons. We will enter a promises auction and some of the pent up frustrations will have to be addressed. The Tories can choose to either have a counter vision or be outflanked.

Well as I keep saying - there is no point leaving the EU unless we use our greater sovereignty to do some serious things which we could NOT have done as a member. It will have been a complete and utter waste of time if we don't.

So this means post Brexit we go economically hard LEFT or we go hard RIGHT.

LEFT - big tax & spend, big interventionist state, redistribution.

RIGHT - low reg, low tax, small state, market rules the roost.

I don't think this point (of mine) is sufficiently appreciated.

Give it some appreciation please!
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    HYUFD said:

Boris Johnson should resign now! Bozo is wrong and extreame. No Tory supporter should give him unqualified support! Brexit is a national disaster. BJ always said if we cannot get a better deal we should Remain. Google it and his public statement on politics home will show you his true opinion.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

From wiki: directly employs around 73,000 people and in 2007 contributed £8.4 billion to the UK's GDP and invested a total of £3.9 billion in research and development.[1][2] In 2007 exports of pharmaceutical products from the UK totalled £14.6 billion, creating a trade surplus in pharmaceutical products of £4.3 billion.[3]

Ansa to your questions 1 and 3. Yes, over time. The damage will be to our international reputation. I don't think even a Mr Thicky government would be stupid enough to do it. I wonder what Nick Palmer ex-MP will think? He held a middle management position in pharma before he went into parliament.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

He isn't a deeply unpopular PM according to polling. Hes slightly negatively viewed. That's something it's easy to forget in the maelstrom.
    He is "deeply unpopular" in PBs remain central ;)
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

kinabalu said:

Only PM to be in negative territory (whether "slightly negative" or not) this early in his premiership. Even Brown was still above water at this point.
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046

Did Corbyn go to Hull?
  • Options
    Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

Requires a Tory majority after the next general election free of the DUP
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

Sandpit said:

spudgfsh said:

malcolmg said:

Money forest is blooming
    It always amazes me that the left/hard left don't realise that they can put tax rates up as much as they want for the top end but it doesn't always raise more tax.

At what point do you think punitive tax rates cause people to either do less work, restructure their earnings or move abroad?

40% 50%, 60%, 70%?

How’s about corporate tax rates? Where should the U.K. fit into the table?

UAE 0%
    Ireland 12.5%
    Singapore 17%
    Switzerland 18%
    USA 21%
    France 31%

• Options
    Danny565 said:

kinabalu said:

Only PM to be in negative territory (whether "slightly negative" or not) this early in his premiership. Even Brown was still above water at this point.
    None of which makes him deeply unpopular
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    MikeL said:

If all big drug companies stop selling in the UK then presumably very large amounts of people really might die.

At least there won't be any delays getting drugs in from Calais. :D
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Like scrapping private schools, 32 hour weeks and according to the Labour MP for Brighton Kemptown Labour should even enable the state to take over private housing
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

I can still see your ass! Not going to change your picture?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But there will be no "Deal or No Deal" platform at that point. It could only be No Deal, and he doesn't believe in it.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121
    Foxy said:

RobD said:

Femi
    @Femi_Sorry
    ·
    5h
    Boris Johnson is currently in New York, where he was born, and will soon be attempting to enter the UK.

Maybe you're right,
    @BorisJohnson
    , maybe we should send back any migrant who breaks our laws?

Can't because he only has British citizenship. :p
    This government changed that when it withdrew Shamina Begum's British passport, on the grounds that she was eligible for a Bangladeshi one.
    That applies only to people who are British by naturalisation, though.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Fake news from you.

https://twitter.com/benatipsosmori/status/1176494487662727168
  • Options

So we'll he was third in a poll last week and had the lowest net approval rating for an opposition leader since the War
  • Options

kinabalu said:

He is popular with his base, but unpopular outside it.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

There is always a time lag to these things. The early adopter/late adopter principle applies to opinion as well as consumer purchasing.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    MikeL said:

It wouldn't be overnight - there is a very large amount of infrastructure here.
    But it would move fairly rapidly in that direction.

The border checks in Ireland to protect the EU pharmaceutical industry would be... interesting.

Quite how this fits with 'closely aligned to the single market' is a two pipe problem - opium pipe, that is.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

So we'll he was third in a poll last week and had the lowest net approval rating for an opposition leader since the War
    do we have an election scheduled ? Because otherwise Jezza is calling the shots
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

I hope you never need serious medication. You would find it less funny if you were denied something in six months that might be approved now...
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

But there will be no "Deal or No Deal" platform at that point. It could only be No Deal, and he doesn't believe in it.
    No he would say it needs No Deal as a threat to get the EU to remove the backstop
  • Options
    MikeL said:

By their nature genetics are off-patent, so the government producing them is not a huge issue for pharma. A much bigger problem would be a revision of the UK’s patent laws. That would drive life sciences companies away.

• Options
    edited September 2019

HYUFD said:

He isn't he is enabling the LDs and Tories to take his vote, Labour is polling lower than any GE since 1945 in almost every poll while the LDs would veto his premiership
  • Options

kinabalu said:

There is always a time lag to these things. The early adopter/late adopter principle applies to opinion as well as consumer purchasing.
    Sure yes, but right now his personal ratings are not 'deeply unpopular' they indicate he may well become so in time, maybe short order but thems the breaks
  • Options
    NooNoo Posts: 2,380
    Remarkable number of leavers on here complaining about the judgment as though it was an attack on their ideology. The case was never about Brexit, and that was made clear a number of times.
    The suspension of parliament was never necessary for leaving the EU, and we're still due to leave. I don't know why you are so eager to hitch their wagon to an unlawful action. Seems counterproductive. Leave can be done perfectly legally. Stop damaging your own case by pretending it can only be done by trampling parliament.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    edited September 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No he would say it needs No Deal as a threat to get the EU to remove the backstop
    Which immediately makes it clear that it's a bluff. The EU will not remove the backstop no matter how much Boris Johnson huffs and puffs.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

MikeL said:

The border checks in Ireland to protect the EU pharmaceutical industry would be... interesting.

Quite how this fits with 'closely aligned to the single market' is a two pipe problem - opium pipe, that is.
    Corbyn’s Speech makes it quite clear that he’s massively in favour of no deal Brexit, and I’m not sure all those fawning over him in the hall have worked that out yet.

Most of what he’s proposing is completely against EU law and single market regulations.

The stuff on IP is straight out of Venezuela.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

He isn't he is enabling the LDs and Tories to take his vote, Labour is polling lower than any GE since 1945 in almost every poll while the LDs would veto his premiership
    polls mean nothing only elections count.
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408

Brexit then a Corbyn majority government. Is that how one of the world's oldest democracies dies? Can we pull out of the descent into madness?

Yes, of course we can. And it has to start with the Conservative Party.

However blood-curdling Corbyn's speech might sound, he's merely a lefty ranter who'd like to run the country - and hasn't got a prayer. The Fat Spiv, on the other hand, is in power, commanding a government, an army and a nuclear attack force. Yet, in spite of being taught politics (which makes up most of the Oxford Greats course) at Balliol (which has spent the past century training centrist democratic politicians) he thinks he's got the right to tell us he "strongly disagrees" with a unanimous decision of our Supreme Court and leads a party 56% of whose voters agree with him.

So when is a serious Conservative going to get the balls to tell fellow Tories it's got to stop? Who's going to stand up at Manchester next week and remind them that, under the Spiv, they've turned themselves into the British branch of the Steve Bannion party? Who's going to remind them that the Single Market they hate so much was invented, and nursed through opposition from European lefties, by Margaret Thatcher - whom they affect to idolise?

A few defections to the LDs are very welcome. But Amber Rudd's admitted today that Johnson gave "personal assurances" he'd share the legal guidance for prorogation with the rest of the Cabinet - and didn't. No other Cabinet member seems to worry about this - and Rudd's still a member of the Johnson party.

All it takes is a few senior Tories to develop a conscience.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,809

Sandpit said:

spudgfsh said:

malcolmg said:

Money forest is blooming

Putting aside Corbyn for a minute, Laffer peak is always quoted as being to the graphical left, aka political right, of whatever tax proposal is being made. The Laffer curve does have a peak, doesn't it?

One would think in the UK, with all its other benefits to the wealthy - public schools, universities, rule of law, moderate climate (I'm still putting Corbyn to one side btw), that we would not have to underprice the Laffer can of beans that aggressively. The rich have roots too, you know.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,302
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

spudgfsh said:

malcolmg said:

Money forest is blooming

At what point do you think punitive tax rates cause people to either do less work, restructure their earnings or move abroad?

40% 50%, 60%, 70%?

UAE 0%
    Ireland 12.5%
    Singapore 17%
    Switzerland 18%
    USA 21%
    France 31%

We have experience in the 70's under labour where the 83% rate had a significant impact on the amount of tax raised. during the 80s and up until GB raised it the 40% tax rate did bring in more overall tax. There is limited evidence that the change from 50% to 45% did make a difference.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

At which point you will switch to the LDs.

Plus if Boris leads the Tories into opposition he will be deposed as he will appeal neither to the brexiter loons on the one hand or the trying to keep it together proper Conservatives on the other.

As I said you will long have departed to the LDs.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,932

malcolmg said:

Money forest is blooming
    nah Scotland :-)
    We need to get out of this circus of fools
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,945
    spudgfsh said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

spudgfsh said:

malcolmg said:

Money forest is blooming

40% 50%, 60%, 70%?

UAE 0%
    Ireland 12.5%
    Singapore 17%
    Switzerland 18%
    USA 21%
    France 31%

We have experience in the 70's under labour where the 83% rate had a significant impact on the amount of tax raised. during the 80s and up until GB raised it the 40% tax rate did bring in more overall tax. There is limited evidence that the change from 50% to 45% did make a difference.
    We were a lot less globalised in the 70s and 80s.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

How can no-deal be a threat, when Bozo et al tell us we have nothing to fear from it? He cannot have it both ways. If it is a threat to the EU to bring them to the table then he has significantly lied to the public, because if it is a worry to the EU it must be significantly more so to us. Surely a PM wouldn't lie would they? Certainly not this particular paragon of virtue
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

MikeL said:

Corbyn’s Speech makes it quite clear that he’s massively in favour of no deal Brexit, and I’m not sure all those fawning over him in the hall have worked that out yet.

Most of what he’s proposing is completely against EU law and single market regulations.

Tory Brexiteers are his useful idiots.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

spudgfsh said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

spudgfsh said:

malcolmg said:

Money forest is blooming

40% 50%, 60%, 70%?

UAE 0%
    Ireland 12.5%
    Singapore 17%
    Switzerland 18%
    USA 21%
    France 31%

We were a lot less globalised in the 70s and 80s.
    it didn't stop high profile (and not so high profile) people moving abroad to get away from the tax rates
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

Plus if Boris leads the Tories into opposition he will be deposed as he will appeal neither to the brexiter loons on the one hand or the trying to keep it together proper Conservatives on the other.

I respect democracy and Boris would have leavers largely united behind him in opposition against the government of diehard Remainer traitors to democracy
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    spudgfsh said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

spudgfsh said:

malcolmg said:

Money forest is blooming

40% 50%, 60%, 70%?

UAE 0%
    Ireland 12.5%
    Singapore 17%
    Switzerland 18%
    USA 21%
    France 31%

Indeed. There’s good evidence that the personal allowance withdrawal at £100k salary, a 63% rate, is leading to many professionals working less to stay under £100k (or topping up pensions allowances instead).

I think 40-45% is about the top of the curve, certainly 50% is a symbolic point at which people start phoning their accountants.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Which immediately makes it clear that it's a bluff. The EU will not remove the backstop no matter how much Boris Johnson huffs and puffs.
    As Leader of the Opposition what would Boris care, the Brexit Deal or No Deal commitment is all he needs to keep Leavers largely united behind him against the new Government of diehard Remainer traitors to democracy
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

I respect democracy and Boris would have leavers largely united behind him in opposition against the government of diehard Remainer traitors to democracy
    You want to remain in the EU. The LDs are the only party for you.

Not sure if that makes you a die hard remainer or a diehard remainer. It's definitely one of the two.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,981
    Logged on to find Mags Beckett fave for next PM.

Lol. We are in an alternative reality on a wrinkled timeline in the continuum.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    @JosiasJessop @noneoftheabove

:smile:

Yes, sorry, I usually avoid the term 'ordinary people'. It's silly.

What I meant by it in that post was people not particularly well off.

Like checkout staff at Tesco. Just as an example.
  • Options
    Anyhoo, Trump likely to be impeached, what larks.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

As Leader of the Opposition what would Boris care, the Brexit Deal or No Deal commitment is all he needs to keep Leavers largely united behind him against the new Government of diehard Remainer traitors to democracy
    So it’s just the politics of opposition, like the hard left in the 1980s?
  • Options

Totally pointless. It won't get past the Senate
  • Options
    Flanner said:

nuclear attack force

That's not the... traditional... way of describing it.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Quite right HY but it will do a 2017 on acid once Jezza fires the starting gun for GE2019.

Anyway Why should Jester resign? He’s only broken the law, lied to the Queen, tried to stifle democracy, lied to Parliament, lost his majority, lost every Parliamentary vote he’s ever faced used Public funds for a BJ BJ

No reason at all
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

MikeL said:

Tory Brexiteers are his useful idiots.
    Corbyn and his kitchen cabinet of dangerous fools clearly want to destroy this country's economy and public services in a single term.

Now genuinely terrifying.
  • Options

Lock him up.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

Not pointless at all. Televised impeachment hearings will bring evidence of wrongdoing to a very wide audience. Could -- COULD -- really harm the GOP in the coming elections.
    You're almost certainly right to say he won't be convicted by the Senate, of course.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

You really are an offensive little pillock. There are many people who support/supported remain who have served their country in the armed forces, and they don't need to be accused of being traitors by a pathetic little pipsqueak like you. Boris Johnson is the biggest threat to democracy and the rule of law that I can recall in my 40 odd years of following British politics. The other big threat is the ignorant blind unquestioning loyalty of fools like you. You are the type of person that despots rely on. Your posts are utterly ridiculous and your views are completely beneath contempt.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

the Jezzaplan will make it a bad time to be a housebuilder or a buy for let landlord.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

I hope you never need serious medication. You would find it less funny if you were denied something in six months that might be approved now...
    How do you know I don't need serious medication now? ;)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Has Boris gone? Or is the precedent that a PM can act unlawfully and compromise HM one the Tories really want to set
  • Options

I feel sorry for @Stark_Dawning having his avatar stolen! :D
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Checkout staff at Tesco are going to be machines in 10 years time! Half of them are already.

Anyway they are not helped by Labour losing elections even when up against a failed, lying, vote losing, cowardly, lazy PM.

They would be helped by Labour winning elections, or at least putting enough pressure on the Tories to avoid them being taken over by a revolutionary cult as well.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

Resisting an open goal here... nnnggg
  • Options

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

You really are an offensive little pillock. There are many people who support/supported remain who have served their country in the armed forces, and they don't need to be accused of being traitors by a pathetic little pipsqueak like you. Boris Johnson is the biggest threat to democracy and the rule of law that I can recall in my 40 odd years of following British politics. The other big threat is the ignorant blind unquestioning loyalty of fools like you. You are the type of person that despots rely on. Your posts are utterly ridiculous and your views are completely beneath contempt.
    yet you always reply to them
  • Options
    Has much been said on Banks's clearance by the NCA on here? I know the Supreme Court is taking the constitutional gold medal for importance today, but I think we do now have a completed view of the validity of the referendum itself, unless anyone can tell me otherwise?

It tends towards a second referendum and the inclusion of any Remain option being a more political decision, rather than a quasi-judicial one by MPs on the irregularities of the first referendum, which are now a lot less than they could have been.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Flanner said:

Brexit then a Corbyn majority government. Is that how one of the world's oldest democracies dies? Can we pull out of the descent into madness?

Yes, of course we can. And it has to start with the Conservative Party.

However blood-curdling Corbyn's speech might sound, he's merely a lefty ranter who'd like to run the country - and hasn't got a prayer. The Fat Spiv, on the other hand, is in power, commanding a government, an army and a nuclear attack force. Yet, in spite of being taught politics (which makes up most of the Oxford Greats course) at Balliol (which has spent the past century training centrist democratic politicians) he thinks he's got the right to tell us he "strongly disagrees" with a unanimous decision of our Supreme Court and leads a party 56% of whose voters agree with him.

So when is a serious Conservative going to get the balls to tell fellow Tories it's got to stop? Who's going to stand up at Manchester next week and remind them that, under the Spiv, they've turned themselves into the British branch of the Steve Bannion party? Who's going to remind them that the Single Market they hate so much was invented, and nursed through opposition from European lefties, by Margaret Thatcher - whom they affect to idolise?

A few defections to the LDs are very welcome. But Amber Rudd's admitted today that Johnson gave "personal assurances" he'd share the legal guidance for prorogation with the rest of the Cabinet - and didn't. No other Cabinet member seems to worry about this - and Rudd's still a member of the Johnson party.

All it takes is a few senior Tories to develop a conscience.
    Politics makes up most of the Oxford Greats course, in the same way as Volvo cars are mostly made of cheddar cheese.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,977

Logged on to find Mags Beckett fave for next PM.

Lol. We are in an alternative reality on a wrinkled timeline in the continuum.

I'm surprised it took so long.

See is the only centralist Labour MP who Corbyn could back for she is the reason why he is where he is.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Could the good people of Uxbridge launch a recall petition?
  • Options
    Noo said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

Resisting an open goal here... nnnggg
    :D:D:D
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Tescos will be banned under Jezza's utopia. State shops will provide gruel that is equal for everyone!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

I feel sorry for @Stark_Dawning having his avatar stolen! :D
    I'll change it back now.
  • Options

I guess the Dems are already ringing Mike to ask when he is next on holiday.
  • Options

Because Joe Biden got the Ukrainian prosecutor investigating his son fired?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

yet you always reply to them
    Guilty as charged Mr Brooke. I should resist.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

spudgfsh said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

spudgfsh said:

malcolmg said:

Money forest is blooming

40% 50%, 60%, 70%?

UAE 0%
    Ireland 12.5%
    Singapore 17%
    Switzerland 18%
    USA 21%
    France 31%

Indeed. There’s good evidence that the personal allowance withdrawal at £100k salary, a 63% rate, is leading to many professionals working less to stay under £100k (or topping up pensions allowances instead).

I think 40-45% is about the top of the curve, certainly 50% is a symbolic point at which people start phoning their accountants.
    It wouldn't surprise me if they said that they'd abolish the upper limit on national insurance and make all pay on anything over the lower limit taxable to the rate which applies. (ie a 10% rise in NI over a certain amount)
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Sandpit said:

spudgfsh said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

spudgfsh said:

malcolmg said:

Money forest is blooming

40% 50%, 60%, 70%?

UAE 0%
    Ireland 12.5%
    Singapore 17%
    Switzerland 18%
    USA 21%
    France 31%

I am at an income tax threshold and it was material in my decision not to pursue a post a recruitment consultant rang me about this week.

Mind you, I also buy tortillas instead of crisps for the VAT benefit, so I'm unusual.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

No basis to as things stand
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

:lol:
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,121

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Streeter said:

HYUFD said:

It seems to me he just wants to annoy people now.

Probably best to laugh at someone like that.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Because Joe Biden got the Ukrainian prosecutor investigating his son fired?
    More the fact that Trump withheld aid from Ukraine unless they did his bidding.
This discussion has been closed.