Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Rule of Law 1 Cummings/Johnson 0

1235»

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,310

blueblue said:

I'm sorry, but this is nonsense - MAY herself repeated the March 29th deadline ad nauseam without needing any prompting.

True, she deserves a lot of blame for that. That doesn't exonarate Boris for making the same mistake; in fact it makes it worse, since he'd seen the consequences.
    Sadly the only consequences he saw was his own path to becoming the next Churchill.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,723
    edited September 2019

If there has been no prorogation as per SC, isnt parliament then technically still in recess for the conf season ?

No, because that was not voted on prior to the attempted prorogation, presumably since the government feared the recess motion might be voted down.

Which is why the 'only losing five days of Parliamentary time' was nonsense.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,073
    edited September 2019

blueblue said:

Not when the entire political direction of the country could be altered for years by the literal-mindedness of people too rich to care if Corbyn gets in.

Indeed so. That's an additional reason why the ERG's trashing of Tory unity and their attempts to crash us out of the EU in the most chaotic and damaging manner is so disastrous.: certainly nothing is more likely to lead to an extreme left-wing government that the chaos of No Deal.
    Utter rubbish.

Nothing is more likely to lead to the election of a left-wing Government than a Tory PM agreeing further extension not No Deal

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1176087917149728768?s=20

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1176103416990437377?s=20
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,073

HYUFD said:

isam said:

image.

‘MPs could be back in days to thwart Britain’s exit from the EU’

And, yet....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k9fE28koW4
    This isn't really going to help Boris hold his seat in Uxbridge, is it?
    Oh Boris will increase his majority as we begin to process of shifting from diehard Remainers fury at Boris to diehard Leavers fury at the left liberal establishment from today
    Has it started to dawn on you yet that those of us that said he was totally crap were right? (Chortle)
    You aren't as the Tory lead in every poll now shows
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,938
    Parliament isn't recessed, it sits whenever Bercow and the Lords Speaker agree it to right now.
    I don't think it is technically sitting right now.
  • Options
    blueblue said:

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

Anyway, I suggest everyone actually makes the effort to read the judgment. It's clearly written and sets out the reasons for the decision in terms that should be generally understood. It's worth the effort, even if you are dismayed by the ruling.

So what happens to the prorogation power? Has the SC annulled it? Or just annulled it for this government? What a farce!
    Read the judgement perhaps? Or just decry it as a farce asking nonsensical questions if you prefer?
    I'm not particularly interested in the words of some idiots who have brought us closer to a far-left government than we have ever been in my lifetime.
    You do try hard to keep an open mind, don't you?
    Not when the entire political direction of the country could be altered for years by the literal-mindedness of people too rich to care if Corbyn gets in.
    How exactly do you think this ruling is going to lead to PM Corbyn?
    Oh, I don't know: tanking Boris' ratings, making him look weak, making his acceptance of the Benn Bill extension or a resignation inevitable.

All of which brings a far left government closer by the minute.
    Go back in time a few months and write a list of what outrages Corbyn would commit in office. How many has Boris already ticked off? Shutting down parliament; expelling MPs who disagree with him; lying to HMQ.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,900

nunuone said:

TOPPING said:

nunuone said:

Well the judges have decided we are no longer a constitutional monarchy.

It is a judicial dictatorship.

LOL those pesky independent judges ruling on the law an' all.
    They should be ruling on the law as it is not as they wish it to be.

This goes beyond activist, and will have great consequences for our constitution in the future.

Well done to them now one half of the country will no longer trust the judiciary.

And more fool them because it was the more conservative half, who will now not think twice about changing the constitution for their benefit.
    This is the real significance of today. I think this means we are heading for some form of written constitution and a much more politically active judiciary. Further evidence of the law of unforeseen consequences in Blair's constitutional reforms. The irony, of course, is that the Law Lords, who would have pronounced on this case before the establishment of the SC, wouldn't have been able to sit, I assume, because Parliament had been prorogued!
    I was saying last week, that quite a likely long term consequence of this hearing is it will start the process of the UK getting a written constitution.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    Alistair said:

isam said:

Any betting implications?

Are we still laying 2019 GE?

Should Tories be 1.41 most seats?

Fucked if I know. Like seriously. Anyone who has not cashed out of these markets is a braver mofo than me.
    I cashed out!
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

I have updated the title to make it clear that it's the Rule of Law 11 Cummings/Johnson 0

The bigger picture is one of the establishment refusing to carry out the referendum result

The bigger picture is actually that no-one is above the law. If we are to remain a democracy, that principle is fundamental. The smaller picture is that delivering a Brexit that did not cause immense harm to the country was always going to be immensely difficult - and that is still the case. Those who claimed otherwise - and are now running the country - would do everyonr a favour is they admitted that and started looking beyond the base for solutions. EFTA/EEA will take us out. That's what shouold happen now.
    The front page of the pro EU Standard spells it out “‘MPs could be back in days to thwart Britain’s exit from the EU’”... if that’s how George Osborne sees it, how do you think Leave voters will?

I imagine many of them will be furious. But nothing the court has decided today makes any difference to when we leave the EU. If Johnson had not illegally prorogued Parliament the high likelihood is that Parliament would not have passed the extension law that it did. This is entirely of the PM's making.

What people will see is someone trying to get Brexit done, and being thwarted by lawyers. Actually I don’t think this is a bad outcome for Boris at all. People who want to remain and love lawyers trickery are lapping it up, but there are huge numbers who want to leave, and voted to do so in part because of such trickery. I can’t imagine Boris and co didn’t know that.
    It is not "thwarted by lawyers" you numpty. It is thwarted by an incompetent PM who has broken the law driven by an egotistical desire to be loved as the hero who pushed through no-deal to the applause of a gullible 25% of the public. Your attempt to blame an impartial judicial system is extremist claptrap. Perhaps the Yorkshire Ripper should have appealed to "the People" and say his liberty had been "thwarted by lawyers". How right would that have been? Views like yours lead us down the road toward despotism.
  • Options
    edited September 2019

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

I have updated the title to make it clear that it's the Rule of Law 11 Cummings/Johnson 0

The bigger picture is one of the establishment refusing to carry out the referendum result

The bigger picture is actually that no-one is above the law. If we are to remain a democracy, that principle is fundamental. The smaller picture is that delivering a Brexit that did not cause immense harm to the country was always going to be immensely difficult - and that is still the case. Those who claimed otherwise - and are now running the country - would do everyonr a favour is they admitted that and started looking beyond the base for solutions. EFTA/EEA will take us out. That's what shouold happen now.
    The front page of the pro EU Standard spells it out “‘MPs could be back in days to thwart Britain’s exit from the EU’”... if that’s how George Osborne sees it, how do you think Leave voters will?

I imagine many of them will be furious. But nothing the court has decided today makes any difference to when we leave the EU. If Johnson had not illegally prorogued Parliament the high likelihood is that Parliament would not have passed the extension law that it did. This is entirely of the PM's making.

What people will see is someone trying to get Brexit done, and being thwarted by lawyers. (Snip)
    I love the way you think you speak for 'the people' - whose views, oddly enough, seem to coincide with your own!
    At the risk of provoking a day long argument where you refuse to accept your error, I love the way you misquote me!
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503

Boris should resign, but nobody wants him to because the presumed alternative, even for five minutes, is Corbyn.

Isn’t it time we dispensed of this wretched old lunatic? He could be out and Tom Watson in as interim Labour leader within days if Labour MPs had the wits and cojones.

A Watson led GONU is not a terrifying concept and such a government could conclude a deal and put it to the people.

I couldn't agree with you more. To be honest I'm done with Brexit. We should all be more concerned about preventing the greater horror of Corbyn and his acolytes seizing power. Why this is not seen by those calling for Boris' head is beyond me. But then again this country lost its collective head many years ago.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Pulpstar said:

Read the judgement. Johnson looks fine to prorogue parliament for 5 days in order to facilitate a Queens Speech to me.

Indeed. But if that is what he wants, why did he choose to prorogue for 5 weeks?
    To get an extension, whilst creating the public perception that he didnt want one. It has worked pretty well, the two setbacks being losing control of the election timetable and this verdict.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    Gabs2 said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

“It will be your decision whether to remain in the EU on the basis of the reforms we secure, or whether we leave.

Your decision.

Nobody else’s.

Not politicians’.

Not Parliament’s.

Not lobby groups’.

Not mine.

Just you.

You, the British people, will decide.

At that moment, you will hold this country’s destiny in your hands.

This is a huge decision for our country, perhaps the biggest we will make in our lifetimes.

And it will be the final decision.

So to those who suggest that a decision in the referendum to leave…

…would merely produce another stronger renegotiation and then a second referendum in which Britain would stay…

…I say think again.

The renegotiation is happening right now. And the referendum that follows will be a once in a generation choice.

An in or out referendum.

When the British people speak, their voice will be respected – not ignored.

If we vote to leave, then we will leave.”

Cameron Nov 2015

“MPs could be back in days to thwart Britain’s exit from the EU’”

Osborne Sep 2019

The country decided it didn't want to let the Conservatives do this and so denied them a majority in 2017.
    It gave a collective majority to the Tories and DUP.
    And look where we are now. Again, foreseeable.
  • Options
    isam said:

Alistair said:

isam said:

Fucked if I know. Like seriously. Anyone who has not cashed out of these markets is a braver mofo than me.
    I cashed out!
    I'm still laying 2019 for a general election. A general election will occur when it is in the interests of a majority of the House of Commons. That moment has not yet been reached and I don't think it will be reached for quite a while.

Laying 2020 would be brave, however.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Nigelb said:

If there has been no prorogation as per SC, isnt parliament then technically still in recess for the conf season ?

No, because that was not voted on prior to the attempted prorogation, presumably since the government feared the recess motion might be voted down.

Really BoJo should have left it, the likelihood of MPs actually wanting to do some work would have seen him happily through the conf season
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046

As so often, George Osborne is on the button:

The verdict could not be more disastrous for the PM. He has been humiliated. His government, exactly two months old today, has suffered a catastrophic defeat. His Downing Street team look like dunces — with a fatal combination of hubris, deceit and incompetence.

Above all, Mr Johnson has been exposed as powerless. And all for nothing. There was nothing to be gained by trying to prorogue Parliament — and everything to lose.

For here’s a truth that’s hard to hear amid all the noise today. Fundamentally, the judgment by the Supreme Court doesn’t matter in the battle over Brexit.

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/evening-standard-comment-a-victory-for-democracy-and-the-pm-humiliated-uber-s-delayed-new-ride-the-a4244886.html

I think the main immediate effect of this judgement is simply going to be an even bigger boost to the polarisation of opinion which we've seen since November.

Those ERG nutters (and the PM and half the current Cabinet) who trashed May's deal, and thus gave Labour a cast-iron excuse for playing partisan games with it, have a hell of a lot to answer for.

And yet Osborne backed Johnson to be Tory leader and Prime Minister knowing exactly what kind of man he is and what he is (in)capable of. What on earth was he thinking?

The only explanation is that his time in the Coalition persuaded him hes really a Liberal, so he's trying to destroy the Tories.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919
    eristdoof said:

If Johnson were to resign with immediate effect, who would become the Stop-Gap PM, until the Tories chose a new leader? Relevant in the "Next PM" betting market?

He may resign soon as PM, but he won’t be resigning as leader of the Conservatives.
    He’ll sit as LotO and ask Parliament who they should recommend to HMQ as PM.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,192

isam said:

Alistair said:

isam said:

I cashed out!
    I'm still laying 2019 for a general election. A general election will occur when it is in the interests of a majority of the House of Commons. That moment has not yet been reached and I don't think it will be reached for quite a while.

I reckon we go all the way to June 2022.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

blueblue said:

Indeed so. That's an additional reason why the ERG's trashing of Tory unity and their attempts to crash us out of the EU in the most chaotic and damaging manner is so disastrous.: certainly nothing is more likely to lead to an extreme left-wing government that the chaos of No Deal.
    Utter rubbish.

Nothing is more likely to lead to the election of a left-wing Government than a Tory PM agreeing further extension not No Deal
    That's also true. As I said, that is because Boris made such a catastrophic blunder in making a fetish out of the arbitrary date. What a waste - he could instead have used his rhetorical skills and his then-popularity to sell a more realistic prospectus to the party and its voters. Instead he's handed a rope to the opposition parties and invited them to tie him up in it, which they are duly doing.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,860
    edited September 2019
    I am surprised that this news has rippled into the consciousness of the office.

Digital techies tend to be libertarian but tend to be politically ignorant. The last time I heard anyone talking about politics was when Boris promised massive tax cuts during the leadership campaign (and where are those, by the way?).

Obviously I am in a Remainer bubble, but I’m not convinced this news will simply be ignored by the Brexit-mad masses.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

What people will see is someone trying to get Brexit done, and being thwarted by lawyers. Actually I don’t think this is a bad outcome for Boris at all. People who want to remain and love lawyers trickery are lapping it up, but there are huge numbers who want to leave, and voted to do so in part because of such trickery. I can’t imagine Boris and co didn’t know that.
    It is not "thwarted by lawyers" you numpty. It is thwarted by an incompetent PM who has broken the law driven by an egotistical desire to be loved as the hero who pushed through no-deal to the applause of a gullible 25% of the public. Your attempt to blame an impartial judicial system is extremist claptrap. Perhaps the Yorkshire Ripper should have appealed to "the People" and say his liberty had been "thwarted by lawyers". How right would that have been? Views like yours lead us down the road toward despotism.
    Ah the 100% poor record of unfunny ad hominem attempts is upheld.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,047
    The pro-prorogation posts from the rapidly declining rump of PB Tories on the August threads make for fucking hilarious reading now.
  • Options

blueblue said:

eek said:

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

Anyway, I suggest everyone actually makes the effort to read the judgment. It's clearly written and sets out the reasons for the decision in terms that should be generally understood. It's worth the effort, even if you are dismayed by the ruling.

So what happens to the prorogation power? Has the SC annulled it? Or just annulled it for this government? What a farce!
    Read the judgement perhaps? Or just decry it as a farce asking nonsensical questions if you prefer?
    I'm not particularly interested in the words of some idiots who have brought us closer to a far-left government than we have ever been in my lifetime.
    By idiots you mean Judges who are ruling on the law as it currently stands.
    Yes, I mean them - this decision has colossal _political_ consequences for the future of the country, stretching far beyond a piddling issue of 5 weeks!
    The rule of law stands between us and would be dictators.
    History suggests that it isn’t the strongest of defences?
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    blueblue said:

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

Oh, I don't know: tanking Boris' ratings, making him look weak, making his acceptance of the Benn Bill extension or a resignation inevitable.

Does responsibility for that really lie with the court and not Boris himself?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

blueblue said:

Utter rubbish.

That's also true. As I said, that is because Boris made such a catastrophic blunder in making a fetish out of the arbitrary date. What a waste - he could instead have used his rhetorical skills and his then-popularity to sell a more realistic prospectus to the party and its voters. Instead he's handed a rope to the opposition parties and invited them to tie him up in it, which they are duly doing.
    Interesting that even the Brexit party now admit a delay is likely.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    “The effect on the fundamentals of our democracy was extreme.”

If there were any truth, justice and honour in this world, the entire government should have resigned by now.

This is why I fucking LOVE the law!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,919

Corbyn brings forward his speech to this afternoon.

Which may lead to the cancellation of Tom Watson's speech.
    That would be hilarious!
  • Options
    Looking forward to the 20000 word blog from Dom (unemployed) on why this was not his fault but instead something to do with ancient Greece a Chinese general and Farage/Bill Cash fupping things up again.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

image.

And, yet....

Oh Boris will increase his majority as we begin to process of shifting from diehard Remainers fury at Boris to diehard Leavers fury at the left liberal establishment from today
    Has it started to dawn on you yet that those of us that said he was totally crap were right? (Chortle)
    You mistake the "least most loathed choice" nature of our current system as indorsement. Your blind loyalty, while immensely stupid is in a bizarre way impressive. From a sociological perspective it demonstrates how despots could win power in any system, even one that is supposedly less inclined such as ours.
  • Options

isam said:

Alistair said:

isam said:

I cashed out!

Me too.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

isam said:

image.

And, yet....

Are you calling all 11 Supreme Court judges left wing?
    Perhaps the Daily Mail will oblige by putting a piccie of the 11 Justices under a suitable headline?
    You can't expect the Mail to support justice. Be reasonable.
    Reasonable? I was wondering if they will re-run "Enemies of the People" or "Crush the sabateurs" ;)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,723

Nigelb said:

Really BoJo should have left it, the likelihood of MPs actually wanting to do some work would have seen him happily through the conf season
    Quite.
  • Options

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

Go back in time a few months and write a list of what outrages Corbyn would commit in office. How many has Boris already ticked off? Shutting down parliament; expelling MPs who disagree with him; lying to HMQ.
    I don't give two ***** about that. I care about _policy_ - Labour's insane taxes, bans, confiscations of private property.

Say what you like about him, Boris isn't going to enact those kinds of _policies_.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268

blueblue said:

I'm sorry, but this is nonsense - MAY herself repeated the March 29th deadline ad nauseam without needing any prompting.

True, she deserves a lot of blame for that. That doesn't exonarate Boris for making the same mistake; in fact it makes it worse, since he'd seen the consequences.
    The problem for Leavers is that, without a deadline, Brexit was never going to get done. The majority of parliament is Remainers and most of them have made the undemocratic decision to vote against any deal and no deal. And then to claim their own obstruction makes Brexit impossible. We are going to now be locked into indefinite extensions for years.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

blueblue said:

Utter rubbish.

They want one. Without the ongoing Brexit farce, Nigel Farage has no raison d'etre
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited September 2019

Boris should resign, but nobody wants him to because the presumed alternative, even for five minutes, is Corbyn.

Isn’t it time we dispensed of this wretched old lunatic? He could be out and Tom Watson in as interim Labour leader within days if Labour MPs had the wits and cojones.

A Watson led GONU is not a terrifying concept and such a government could conclude a deal and put it to the people.

I'm hoping someone who was complaining it was undemocratic for Labour members to decide policy jumps in and agrees with this.

I know full well it was a cynical argument and they don't give a damn what Labour members think but I do get a warm feeling inside from being proven right so conclusively.
  • Options
    This is when it emerges that no-one actually has a plan for using the parliamentary time?
  • Options
    blueblue said:

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

I don't give two ***** about that. I care about _policy_ - Labour's insane taxes, bans, confiscations of private property.

Say what you like about him, Boris isn't going to enact those kinds of _policies_.
    If - heaven forbid - Corbyn should come anywhere near the levers of power he would have done so via democratic means.

Sadly, shit policy (Labour) trumps shit policy + attempts to close down democracy (Tory).
  • Options

I'm hoping someone who was complaining it was undemocratic for Labour members to decide policy jumps in and agrees with this.

I know full well it was a cynical argument and they don't give a damn what Labour members think but I do get a warm feeling inside from being proven right so conclusively.
    Come on, the GS decides (as instructed) - weren’t you watching yesterday?
  • Options
    Are Leavetard tears more delicious than Libtard ones?

https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1176428863817244673?s=20
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Read the judgement. Johnson looks fine to prorogue parliament for 5 days in order to facilitate a Queens Speech to me.

That, and it also needs to be in recess (at least) to allow the party conferences to proceed.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

This is when it emerges that no-one actually has a plan for using the parliamentary time?

Why would they? They were "Closed for Business" until a few hours ago...
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

image.

Interesting phrasing from The Standard.

"MPs could be back in days to thwart Britain's exit from EU"

No pretence now of trying to get a deal. Just ignore the referendum result and cancel Brexit. So we see the true nature of the scum who rule us.
    In that case, you'll have the opportunity to vote them out at the next election. There's no way this Parliament is going to term, so it'll likely be within months.

At the end of the day, MPs can only block Brexit against the will of the people for just so long. If the people still want it, it'll still happen.
    That depends on how you define the will of the people. It is likely to be the will of the people defined by the curiosities of the FPTP electoral system rather than a referendum.
    Mr Tyndall is a strong supporter and defender of the FPTP system, so I'm sure he'll see it as defining the will of the people.
  • Options

Labour members deciding policy is not necessarily democratic, as they attempt to override their MPs that are elected via a much larger and broader demographic MPs in all parties should not be pushed around by entryist members. This has been demonstrated by both Labour and Conservative Parties. You won't agree because you support an incompetent old extremist whose only area of competence has been his ability to abuse this system to his personal advantage
  • Options
    blueblue said:

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

On his current record of 11-0, Boris is not going to enact any kind of policy :D:D
  • Options

HYUFD said:

blueblue said:

Utter rubbish.

They want one. Without the ongoing Brexit farce, Nigel Farage has no raison d'etre
    Of course, and it’s also in their direct political interests.

Just interesting they’ve gone public rather than pushing for No Deal on 31st October.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

As soon we get an extension IMO.
    I'd rather not. Labour get mullered in any election before Brexit is 'sorted' (one way or the other), IMO.
    Don't see how you get Brexit sorted without an election. I enjoy watching Boris flounder around in position without power but it is ridiculous to do for anything more than the no deal avoiding extension.

Not enough MPs to organise and hold a 2nd ref or sign a soft leave deal or a hard leave deal.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268

isam said:

Alistair said:

isam said:

I cashed out!

Which is why the Fixed Term Parliament Act is such a monstrosity. The whole point of it was to stop the timing of General Elections being decided for political reasons and that is exactly what it is causing right now. Leaving us with no effective governance for potentially years.
  • Options
    The obvious solution will be for parliament to appoint an interim executive to push through an extension that is conditional on a GE taking place sometime in November or January.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,888
    Scott_P said:

Bercow announcing house sits tomorrow at 11:30am

I'm sorry, what's wrong with 9am? They've gone to the Supreme Court, it's supposed to be direst need, and they're just going to wander in in their jammies and slippers, scratch their arse, and yawn and stretch. Get to work on time, you lazy ha'p'orths... :(
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892

Are Leavetard tears more delicious than Libtard ones?

https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1176428863817244673?s=20

Actually she sounded anything but. She was very impressive.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    Gabs2 said:

blueblue said:

The problem for Leavers is that, without a deadline, Brexit was never going to get done. The majority of parliament is Remainers and most of them have made the undemocratic decision to vote against any deal and no deal. And then to claim their own obstruction makes Brexit impossible. We are going to now be locked into indefinite extensions for years.
    What about those like Layla Moran and Jane Dodds who were elected on precisely that platform, after the referendum? Simply labelling people you disagree with as 'undemocratic' doesn't seem to be getting us very far.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Come on, the GS decides (as instructed) - weren’t you watching yesterday?
    Have you watched the video footage of the vote for yourself or just Trump supporter style repeating the conspiracy theories you heard?

Don't know about you but I like to see these things for myself if there is video evidence.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    Cyclefree said:

“The effect on the fundamentals of our democracy was extreme.”

If there were any truth, justice and honour in this world, the entire government should have resigned by now.

Including Matt Hancock? He can be anything you want. You name it.....
  • Options
    Drutt said:

Could any PB lawyers say if the Speaker's decisions might ever be justiciable? I'm thinking of the decision that Queen's Consent was not required for the Benn bill, although I don't know the arguments that led to it.

I'd always thought it wasn't. But then again I always thought prorogation wasn't justiciable.

Bercow has the extra protection of art ix bill of rights ( no court can make a call on ops in parliament), but I thought that protected the order in council for the prorogation too.

So yeah I don't know
    Thanks. Interesting, perhaps in a potential 'can of worms' kind of way.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

isam said:

image.

And, yet....

Leading in the polls is only one measure. He is still crap on all others
  • Options

Labour members deciding policy is not necessarily democratic, as they attempt to override their MPs that are elected via a much larger and broader demographic MPs in all parties should not be pushed around by entryist members. This has been demonstrated by both Labour and Conservative Parties. You won't agree because you support an incompetent old extremist whose only area of competence has been his ability to abuse this system to his personal advantage
    That is a fair enough argument if you are consistent with it.

My problem is people who aren't consistent and pretend to care what the Labour members want whilst they'd be delighted to see them overruled and a new leader put in against their wishes.

Argue from your actual principles (which you did here) otherwise you just end up looking like a hypocrite.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

What people will see is someone trying to get Brexit done, and being thwarted by lawyers. (Snip)
    I love the way you think you speak for 'the people' - whose views, oddly enough, seem to coincide with your own!
    At the risk of provoking a day long argument where you refuse to accept your error, I love the way you misquote me!
    Leaving aside the first part of your comment (which I believe is wrong): how did I misquote you?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,888
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

What route do you envisage Boris taking that enables him to ignore the law? If Brexit is to be achieved then it has to be within the law and use existing structures, or by creating new law and structures. I appreciate that laws and lawyers are annoying but they exist and Boris has no actual plan to defeat them. You're telling me the world is unfair and people are bad. I know the world is unfair and people are bad. Now tell me what they are going to do about it.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Leaving aside the first part of your comment (which I believe is wrong): how did I misquote you?
    Look at the bit you put in ‘—-‘ and compare it with what I wrote
  • Options
    "Nothing has changed"
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

I don't see what relevance that has; IMV it reinforces the quote.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Sigh.

Did I say ‘the people’?
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Sigh.

Did I say ‘the people’?
    LOL. Neither did you say 'some', or many', etc.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Sigh.

Did I say ‘the people’?
    LOL. Neither did you say 'some', or many', etc.
    Oh, Dave.

It’s going just how I predicted
  • Options
    isam said:

Oh, Dave.

As a matter of interest, was that a purposeful use of my real name? If so, why?
  • Options

isam said:

Oh, Dave.

This ones over.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Oh, Dave.

This ones over.
    So you don't have a reason to use my real name? That makes it seem even more odd and creepy ...
  • Options
    There will be no running commentary.
  • Options
    Streeter said:

There will be no running commentary.

Good. I'm off running for a few weeks as I've knackered my knee.

I could provide a having-the-boiler-fixed commentary instead. ;)
  • Options
    BORIS MUST RESIGN!
This discussion has been closed.