Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Rule of Law 1 Cummings/Johnson 0

Comments

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    I don’t think this necessarily makes Brexit less likely so I dunno why everyones panicking.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,360
    edited September 2019
    Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

image.

Interesting phrasing from The Standard.

"MPs could be back in days to thwart Britain's exit from EU"

No pretence now of trying to get a deal. Just ignore the referendum result and cancel Brexit. So we see the true nature of the scum who rule us.
    They'll face a reckoning, sooner or later.
    Ooh what sort of reckoning? A Labour government? Nige as PM? What were you thinking?
    A lot of them will be out on their ear, at the next election.
    Ah yes I think that will be right but the timing is important. If they are voted out of their ear as Cons then that would leave the way open for LD/Lab so as per my response to @Tabman I'm not sure how many actually will be.

If they resign now, are replaced by Cons PPCs, then it won't matter one way or the other aside from personal loyalty.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

image.

No pretence now of trying to get a deal. Just ignore the referendum result and cancel Brexit. So we see the true nature of the scum who rule us.
    Your last sentence is at least correct Richard. Those that "rule" us are in the Executive. They have lied to us all, so scum probably is correct. As for the referendum result, the real result (a very narrow win for Leave) has been ignored by those that would have us leave without a deal. An appropriate observance would have been a very soft Brexit to represent the marginal nature of the result. It would be up to those who advocate something more extreme to get such an outcome at a later date. No one has come out of this debacle well.
    I get the arguments about a soft Brexit for a narrow leave victory, they do make sense but what would those arguing that say had the result gone the other way. Is there any form of 'soft Remain'? Thus far and no further? Is that really possible in an EU that will continue to legislate in favour of ever closer union (albeit that Cameron negotiated an opt-out from that)?
    Well, a 52-48 Remain victory would certainly have meant Britain going into the Euro was completely off the table. Probably would've also put the kibosh on those EU-wide "quotas" for taking in refugees that were all the rage at that time, and probably would've also meant much greater British resistance to new countries joining the EU (including Turkey) than there was in the past.
  • Options
    Anyway, I suggest everyone actually makes the effort to read the judgment. It's clearly written and sets out the reasons for the decision in terms that should be generally understood. It's worth the effort, even if you are dismayed by the ruling.
  • Options

image.

Your last sentence is at least correct Richard. Those that "rule" us are in the Executive. They have lied to us all, so scum probably is correct. As for the referendum result, the real result (a very narrow win for Leave) has been ignored by those that would have us leave without a deal. An appropriate observance would have been a very soft Brexit to represent the marginal nature of the result. It would be up to those who advocate something more extreme to get such an outcome at a later date. No one has come out of this debacle well.
    I get the arguments about a soft Brexit for a narrow leave victory, they do make sense but what would those arguing that say had the result gone the other way. Is there any form of 'soft Remain'? Thus far and no further? Is that really possible in an EU that will continue to legislate in favour of ever closer union (albeit that Cameron negotiated an opt-out from that)?
    Soft Remain is what we already had with all sorts of opt-outs and carve-outs that Cameron wanted to consolidate. Cameron's deal was probably the last chance for Euroscepticism in this country.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited September 2019
    That's actually the best joke, even with the pun, that we've seen so far.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,708
    edited September 2019

Can Boris appeal to the ECJ?

He'd need to give honest reasons.
    Which he seems rather averse to offering.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

image.

The "scum" that you voted for. Just as with Trump (I am not his greatest fan), who is the democratically elected president of the United States, so are our MPs democratically elected by you. And me. And everyone else. So if they are scum what does that make us?
    I didn't vote for any of these scum. I know what it makes you.
    You didn't vote??

Funniest thing I've heard. You have therefore excluded yourself from any political comment about anything. which given the quality of your contributions would be no great loss.

Or wait - are you wearing your favourite "whoever you vote for the government always gets in" t-shirt?
    Nope I voted just not for any of this lot.
    I'm looking forward to the next phase where you turn on the British people for being too pathetic to rise up against this Remainer conspiracy.
    Given the veiled references to violence and the inflammatory language (even on here this morning) it is more likely to be the far right's fruit-cakes, loons, closet racists teaming up with rabid brexiteers that "rise up" in violence. Gangs of thugs are good fit for fascists.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,900

No
  • Options
    Hello from the Atlantic 24 hours from New York

Good decision for so many reasons but listening to remainers on Sky in our cabin each and everyone of them is refusing a GE demanding a referendum

In any sane parliament Boris would resign and a GE would happen

But so many mps afraid of their seats are literally squatting in thjs parliament and it is not a pretty sight

Dominic Grieve has just said a referendum with no deal as part of the question is the way forward and for once I agree with him

And all the best everyone - I will be back in 2 weeks
  • Options

Anyway, I suggest everyone actually makes the effort to read the judgment. It's clearly written and sets out the reasons for the decision in terms that should be generally understood. It's worth the effort, even if you are dismayed by the ruling.

So what happens to the prorogation power? Has the SC annulled it? Or just annulled it for this government? What a farce!
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    TOPPING said:

Tabman said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:
    But for Cons voters and waverers, Jezza remains the gift that keeps giving, rounding up the maybes back into the Tory fold.
    Swinson?

I'm not sure - frankly for I'm guessing the majority of Tory supporters and hitherto voters, everything that is happening at Brighton this week will clarify the threat that they perceive Corbyn represents and hence are likely to be driven back (holding their nose) to the Cons. But yes, Swinson is definitely an outlet valve.
    I suppose it depends how much both traditional Labour and Tory voters value competence and reason compared to incompetence and tribalism.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    Despite the publicity today's Supreme Court ruling really changes nothing much, the No Deal Bill has already been passed and we are in conference season so Parliament is not going to return straight away.

However what it does suggest is a more political highest court in the form of the Supreme Court rather than the old Law Lords making it likely we do down the US route with the executive and legislature of the day playing a greater role in the appointment of judges.

Bad day for the SNP too as they were hoping the Supreme Court would overrule the Scottish Court of Session
  • Options

image.

Soft remain might look like an opt out from the Euro and ever closer union? Perhaps an emergency brake on immigration whilst we changed our welfare arrangements if we wanted to?
    Well, we had the first two after Cameron's renegotiation, though how we could really opt out of ever closer union in anything other than a rhetoric sense is hard to fathom. The EU refused the emergency brake on immigration as it compromised free movement. It could be argued I suppose that the UK has been in a soft remain position since Maastricht with all the problems that has brought. As ever, part of the problem with the whole EU debate is that we keep looking at it solely from a UK perspective. One question we should ask is do the EU really want a UK, which currently looks like a political basket case, to remain?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Those ERG nutters (and the PM and half the current Cabinet) who trashed May's deal, and thus gave Labour a cast-iron excuse for playing partisan games with it, have a hell of a lot to answer for.

Has Private Francois spontaneously combusted yet?
  • Options
    blueblue said:

So what happens to the prorogation power? Has the SC annulled it? Or just annulled it for this government? What a farce!
    The answer to that question is in the judgment. If you read it, you'd realise that it's not a farce at all.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Protestors singing 'we love you Boris we do' as Cherry is interviewed. Surreal.
  • Options
    blueblue said:

148grss said:

Can those who disagree with this ruling please argue why they would be in favour of PM Corbyn proroguing parliament for as long as he pleased to allow for something massive to happen, such as not funding the military, as John Major suggested?

It's five weeks, not 5 years! 5 weeks in which Parliament would normally be in recess for conference season, and has already passed the legislation it wanted to!

As the judgment made absolutely clear, prorogation is very different to recess. It also emphasised that Parliament is usually only prorogued for four to six days for a Queen's Speech, not five weeks.

• Options

No, it doesn't involve any point of European law, and you don't "appeal" to ECJ, rather there is a reference by the court to the ECJ on a point of European law.
  • Options
    blueblue said:

Read the judgement perhaps? Or just decry it as a farce asking nonsensical questions if you prefer?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,266
    eristdoof said:

No
    My comment was meant to be ironic! Sorry.
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    isam said:

“It will be your decision whether to remain in the EU on the basis of the reforms we secure, or whether we leave.

Your decision.

Nobody else’s.

Not politicians’.

Not Parliament’s.

Not lobby groups’.

Not mine.

Just you.

You, the British people, will decide.

At that moment, you will hold this country’s destiny in your hands.

This is a huge decision for our country, perhaps the biggest we will make in our lifetimes.

And it will be the final decision.

So to those who suggest that a decision in the referendum to leave…

…would merely produce another stronger renegotiation and then a second referendum in which Britain would stay…

…I say think again.

The renegotiation is happening right now. And the referendum that follows will be a once in a generation choice.

An in or out referendum.

When the British people speak, their voice will be respected – not ignored.

If we vote to leave, then we will leave.”

Cameron Nov 2015

“MPs could be back in days to thwart Britain’s exit from the EU’”

Osborne Sep 2019

The country decided it didn't want to let the Conservatives do this and so denied them a majority in 2017.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Despite the publicity today's Supreme Court ruling really changes nothing much, the No Deal Bill has already been passed and we are in conference season so Parliament is not going to return straight away.

However what it does suggest is a more political highest court in the form of the Supreme Court rather than the old Law Lords making it likely we do down the US route with the executive and legislature of the day playing a greater role in the appointment of judges.

Bad day for the SNP too as they were hoping the Supreme Court would overrule the Scottish Court of Session

Its returning tomorrow mate.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Those ERG nutters (and the PM and half the current Cabinet) who trashed May's deal, and thus gave Labour a cast-iron excuse for playing partisan games with it, have a hell of a lot to answer for.

Has Private Francois spontaneously combusted yet?
    Bridgen has.
  • Options

blueblue said:

Read the judgement perhaps? Or just decry it as a farce asking nonsensical questions if you prefer?
    I'm not particularly interested in the words of some idiots who have brought us closer to a far-left government than we have ever been in my lifetime.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053

isam said:

image.

‘MPs could be back in days to thwart Britain’s exit from the EU’

And, yet....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k9fE28koW4
    This isn't really going to help Boris hold his seat in Uxbridge, is it?
    Oh Boris will increase his majority as we begin to process of shifting from diehard Remainers fury at Boris to diehard Leavers fury at the left liberal establishment from today
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

image.

Well, a 52-48 Remain victory would certainly have meant Britain going into the Euro was completely off the table. Probably would've also put the kibosh on those EU-wide "quotas" for taking in refugees that were all the rage at that time, and probably would've also meant much greater British resistance to new countries joining the EU (including Turkey) than there was in the past.
    That doesn't really give much to the Leave side does it? A guarantee that something that hasn't happened and isn't likely to happen doesn't happen; a stop on a short-term unpopular policy; and something that was likely to be blocked by other countries anyway. It doesn't in any way unravel the position we already found ourselves in, whereas 'soft Brexit' retains many of the elements of the EU that leavers didn't like.
  • Options
    So if Boris Johnson tries to break the law over the Benn Bill then I suspect the Supremes will not look kindly on him.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,780
    edited September 2019
    Scott_P said:
    Anyone in the cabinet with the power and guts to lead a mutiny? Probably not. Gove?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Bercow announcing house sits tomorrow at 11:30am
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    PClipp said:

isam said:

“It will be your decision whether to remain in the EU on the basis of the reforms we secure, or whether we leave.

Your decision.

Nobody else’s.

Not politicians’.

Not Parliament’s.

Not lobby groups’.

Not mine.

Just you.

This is a huge decision for our country, perhaps the biggest we will make in our lifetimes.

…would merely produce another stronger renegotiation and then a second referendum in which Britain would stay…

…I say think again.

The renegotiation is happening right now. And the referendum that follows will be a once in a generation choice.

An in or out referendum.

Cameron Nov 2015

Osborne Sep 2019

Cameron was just the leader of one faction within the Conservative Party. He did not speak for the country as a whole, did he?
    My dear God
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    CD13 said:

Can someone explain to me what Parliament will do in the next six weeks?

They frit to death of the electorate so they won't dare to vote for an election. They're frit to death of bringing a VONC so what will they do with those six weeks?

Try to impede no-deal, and try to impede a deal.

We'll be back in the same situation in January.
  • Options

I don’t think this necessarily makes Brexit less likely so I dunno why everyones panicking.

Somewhere, there was a Brexit which could be delivered.

But Brexit has become so enmeshed in xenophobia, deceit, corruption and now constitutional vandalism, that it is ever harder to see it pushed through.
  • Options

image.

I get the arguments about a soft Brexit for a narrow leave victory, they do make sense but what would those arguing that say had the result gone the other way. Is there any forme of 'soft Remain'? Thus far and no further? Is that really possible in an EU that will continue to legislate in favour of ever closer union (albeit that Cameron negotiated an opt-out from that)?
    A narrow Remain win would have seen no concession to the margin of victory.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Anyone in the cabinet with the power and guts to lead a mutiny? Probably not. Gove?
    A mutiny will break the party and put Corbyn in power. They would have to be insane to do it.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,005
    blueblue said:

blueblue said:

I'm not particularly interested in the words of some idiots who have brought us closer to a far-left government than we have ever been in my lifetime.
    By idiots you mean Judges who are ruling on the law as it currently stands.
  • Options
    If Johnson were to resign with immediate effect, who would become the Stop-Gap PM, until the Tories chose a new leader? Relevant in the "Next PM" betting market?
  • Options
    Boo, there's no PMQs tomorrow but full scope for UQs and Ministerial statements.

And applications for emergency debates.
  • Options

As so often, George Osborne is on the button:

The verdict could not be more disastrous for the PM. He has been humiliated. His government, exactly two months old today, has suffered a catastrophic defeat. His Downing Street team look like dunces — with a fatal combination of hubris, deceit and incompetence.

Above all, Mr Johnson has been exposed as powerless. And all for nothing. There was nothing to be gained by trying to prorogue Parliament — and everything to lose.

For here’s a truth that’s hard to hear amid all the noise today. Fundamentally, the judgment by the Supreme Court doesn’t matter in the battle over Brexit.

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/evening-standard-comment-a-victory-for-democracy-and-the-pm-humiliated-uber-s-delayed-new-ride-the-a4244886.html

I think the main immediate effect of this judgement is simply going to be an even bigger boost to the polarisation of opinion which we've seen since November.

And yet Osborne backed Johnson to be Tory leader and Prime Minister knowing exactly what kind of man he is and what he is (in)capable of. What on earth was he thinking?

• Options

Scott_P said:
    No need, everybody can just mutter to their friends that they should send in a letter.
  • Options

blueblue said:

The answer to that question is in the judgment. If you read it, you'd realise that it's not a farce at all.
    It's worth quoting the new rule, which seems a model of common sense:

the relevant limit on the power to prorogue is this: that a decision to prorogue (or advise the monarch to prorogue) will be unlawful if the prorogation has the effect of frustrating or preventing, without reasonable justification, the ability of Parliament to carry out its constitutional functions as a legislature and as the body responsible for the supervision of the executive. In judging any justification which might be put forward, the court must of course be sensitive to the responsibilities and experience of the Prime Minister and proceed with appropriate caution.
    If the prorogation does have that effect, without reasonable justification, there is no need for the court to consider whether the Prime Minister's motive or purpose was unlawful.
  • Options
    blueblue said:

Scott_P said:
    A mutiny will break the party and put Corbyn in power. They would have to be insane to do it.
    It didnt stop Boris and co breaking the party against May?
  • Options
    eek said:

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

Yes, I mean them - this decision has colossal _political_ consequences for the future of the country, stretching far beyond a piddling issue of 5 weeks!
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    TOPPING said:

nunuone said:

Well the judges have decided we are no longer a constitutional monarchy.

It is a judicial dictatorship.

LOL those pesky independent judges ruling on the law an' all.
    They should be ruling on the law as it is not as they wish it to be.

This goes beyond activist, and will have great consequences for our constitution in the future.

Well done to them now one half of the country will no longer trust the judiciary.

And more fool them because it was the more conservative half, who will now not think twice about changing the constitution for their benefit.
  • Options
    blueblue said:

blueblue said:

You're OK, then.
    No.10 is refraining from comment at this time.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Bercow announcing house sits tomorrow at 11:30am

The trains from Brighton to London will be full tonight.
  • Options
    blueblue said:

blueblue said:

How do you become a supreme court judge if you are an idiot? Why live in a fantasy world rather than reality?
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818

image.

In that case, you'll have the opportunity to vote them out at the next election. There's no way this Parliament is going to term, so it'll likely be within months.

At the end of the day, MPs can only block Brexit against the will of the people for just so long. If the people still want it, it'll still happen.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

isam said:

image.

And, yet....

Oh Boris will increase his majority as we begin to process of shifting from diehard Remainers fury at Boris to diehard Leavers fury at the left liberal establishment from today
    Are you calling all 11 Supreme Court judges left wing?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

isam said:

image.

And, yet....

Has it started to dawn on you yet that those of us that said he was totally crap were right? (Chortle)
  • Options

blueblue said:

Scott_P said:
    The Conservative vote was in free-fall after the extension - switching to Boris and a clear Brexit policy reversed the decline.
  • Options
    blueblue said:

blueblue said:

You do try hard to keep an open mind, don't you?
  • Options
    edited September 2019

isam said:

isam said:

I have updated the title to make it clear that it's the Rule of Law 11 Cummings/Johnson 0

The bigger picture is one of the establishment refusing to carry out the referendum result

The bigger picture is actually that no-one is above the law. If we are to remain a democracy, that principle is fundamental. The smaller picture is that delivering a Brexit that did not cause immense harm to the country was always going to be immensely difficult - and that is still the case. Those who claimed otherwise - and are now running the country - would do everyonr a favour is they admitted that and started looking beyond the base for solutions. EFTA/EEA will take us out. That's what shouold happen now.
    The front page of the pro EU Standard spells it out “‘MPs could be back in days to thwart Britain’s exit from the EU’”... if that’s how George Osborne sees it, how do you think Leave voters will?

I imagine many of them will be furious. But nothing the court has decided today makes any difference to when we leave the EU. If Johnson had not illegally prorogued Parliament the high likelihood is that Parliament would not have passed the extension law that it did. This is entirely of the PM's making.

What people will see is someone trying to get Brexit done, and being thwarted by lawyers. Actually I don’t think this is a bad outcome for Boris at all. People who want to remain and love lawyers trickery are lapping it up, but there are huge numbers who want to leave, and voted to do so in part because of such trickery. I can’t imagine Boris and co didn’t know that.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

isam said:

image.

And, yet....

Perhaps the Daily Mail will oblige by putting a piccie of the 11 Justices under a suitable headline?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134

So if Boris Johnson tries to break the law over the Benn Bill then I suspect the Supremes will not look kindly on him.

Perhaps Cummings's warning to the judges, through the medium of a briefing to journalists, wasn't the brightest idea he's had.

Not one judge out of 11 convinced by the government's case.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Nigelb said:

blueblue said:

It's worth quoting the new rule, which seems a model of common sense:

the relevant limit on the power to prorogue is this: that a decision to prorogue (or advise the monarch to prorogue) will be unlawful if the prorogation has the effect of frustrating or preventing, without reasonable justification, the ability of Parliament to carry out its constitutional functions as a legislature and as the body responsible for the supervision of the executive. In judging any justification which might be put forward, the court must of course be sensitive to the responsibilities and experience of the Prime Minister and proceed with appropriate caution.
    If the prorogation does have that effect, without reasonable justification, there is no need for the court to consider whether the Prime Minister's motive or purpose was unlawful.
    Short prorogation for a new Queen's Speech, new QS, QS voted down, no VoNC, prorogue again for a new QS...
  • Options
    isam said:

image.

I get the arguments about a soft Brexit for a narrow leave victory, they do make sense but what would those arguing that say had the result gone the other way. Is there any forme of 'soft Remain'? Thus far and no further? Is that really possible in an EU that will continue to legislate in favour of ever closer union (albeit that Cameron negotiated an opt-out from that)?
    A narrow Remain win would have seen no concession to the margin of victory.
    I suspect that it would have looked rather like some of the suggestions down the thread, essentially a break on further integration but no unravelling of existing EU competence which isn't really a 'soft Remain', just Remain, though admittedly not a 'hard Remain' of joining the Euro etc.
  • Options
    blueblue said:

blueblue said:

Scott_P said:
    The Conservative vote was in free-fall after the extension - switching to Boris and a clear Brexit policy reversed the decline.
    It was in free-fall because the ERG nutters and Boris added their voice to Farage and his nutters to make a fetish out of the date - a mistake Boris has repeated with added rhetoric.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,935
    Read the judgement. Johnson looks fine to prorogue parliament for 5 days in order to facilitate a Queens Speech to me.
  • Options

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

Not when the entire political direction of the country could be altered for years by the literal-mindedness of people too rich to care if Corbyn gets in.
  • Options
    blueblue said:

eek said:

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

Yes, I mean them - this decision has colossal _political_ consequences for the future of the country, stretching far beyond a piddling issue of 5 weeks!
    The rule of law stands between us and would be dictators.
  • Options
    blueblue said:

eek said:

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

The colossal political consequences are, that future PMs will not have the right to close parliament, just because he/she is afraid of what the elected MPs might do.

That's got to be a good thing.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,851
    The one thing this ruling will not have is much impact on support for the various political blocs

You have the right/Leave bloc with about 46% of the vote, split between two parties, and the left/Remain bloc with about 49% split between three parties.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    isam said:

Any betting implications?

Are we still laying 2019 GE?

Should Tories be 1.41 most seats?

Fucked if I know. Like seriously. Anyone who has not cashed out of these markets is a braver mofo than me.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Scott_P said:
    Is Amber that thick?

Most people know that the PM is the biggest liar in the country.

Jeez - no wonder we are screwed with dimwits like Amber in our political circle!
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    No need, everybody can just mutter to their friends that they should send in a letter.
    Johnson saved by the (absence of ) the 21?
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    blueblue said:

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

Not when the entire political direction of the country could be altered for years by the literal-mindedness of people too rich to care if Corbyn gets in.
    How exactly do you think this ruling is going to lead to PM Corbyn?
  • Options
    Rejoice ! Rejoice ! as the Great She-Elephant so rightly observed.

On a serious note surely it's time for a Peerage for Gina Miller. Two landmark Supreme Court judgements defending the people against the executive. I know the rules preclude a statue for a living person but a peerage seems fair. She'd be a grace and ornament to the revising chamber.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Soubry backs off calling on him to resign
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    If there has been no prorogation as per SC, isnt parliament then technically still in recess for the conf season ?
  • Options

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

Scott_P said:
    It was in free-fall because the ERG nutters and Boris added their voice to Farage and his nutters to make a fetish out of the date - a mistake Boris has repeated with added rhetoric.
    I'm sorry, but this is nonsense - MAY herself repeated the March 29th deadline ad nauseam without needing any prompting.
  • Options
    @Richard_Nabavi @david_herdson

Looks like you guys might be getting your Party back.

Very pleased for you.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

If Johnson were to resign with immediate effect, who would become the Stop-Gap PM, until the Tories chose a new leader? Relevant in the "Next PM" betting market?

I'd imagine the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster (Gove) would probably get the nod from the Cabinet and parliamentary party in the (very) short term?
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    blueblue said:

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

Let's just hope our Supreme Court is so decisive in deeming Mr Corbyns plans for arbitrary private property confiscation illegal.
  • Options
    Corbyn brings forward his speech to this afternoon.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Read the judgement. Johnson looks fine to prorogue parliament for 5 days in order to facilitate a Queens Speech to me.

Indeed. But if that is what he wants, why did he choose to prorogue for 5 weeks?
  • Options
    blueblue said:

Indeed so. That's an additional reason why the ERG's trashing of Tory unity and their attempts to crash us out of the EU in the most chaotic and damaging manner is so disastrous.: certainly nothing is more likely to lead to an extreme left-wing government that the chaos of No Deal.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,308
    Wow, just woke up to the news in South Dakota. Unanimous verdict from eleven judges.

Slowly we move toward codifying the grey bits of and gaps in our construction.
  • Options

Hello from the Atlantic 24 hours from New York

Good decision for so many reasons but listening to remainers on Sky in our cabin each and everyone of them is refusing a GE demanding a referendum

In any sane parliament Boris would resign and a GE would happen

But so many mps afraid of their seats are literally squatting in thjs parliament and it is not a pretty sight

Dominic Grieve has just said a referendum with no deal as part of the question is the way forward and for once I agree with him

And all the best everyone - I will be back in 2 weeks

You could ask for political assylum.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

I have updated the title to make it clear that it's the Rule of Law 11 Cummings/Johnson 0

The bigger picture is one of the establishment refusing to carry out the referendum result

The bigger picture is actually that no-one is above the law. If we are to remain a democracy, that principle is fundamental. The smaller picture is that delivering a Brexit that did not cause immense harm to the country was always going to be immensely difficult - and that is still the case. Those who claimed otherwise - and are now running the country - would do everyonr a favour is they admitted that and started looking beyond the base for solutions. EFTA/EEA will take us out. That's what shouold happen now.
    The front page of the pro EU Standard spells it out “‘MPs could be back in days to thwart Britain’s exit from the EU’”... if that’s how George Osborne sees it, how do you think Leave voters will?

I imagine many of them will be furious. But nothing the court has decided today makes any difference to when we leave the EU. If Johnson had not illegally prorogued Parliament the high likelihood is that Parliament would not have passed the extension law that it did. This is entirely of the PM's making.

What people will see is someone trying to get Brexit done, and being thwarted by lawyers. (Snip)
    I love the way you think you speak for 'the people' - whose views, oddly enough, seem to coincide with your own!
  • Options

Which may lead to the cancellation of Tom Watson's speech.
  • Options
    nunuone said:

TOPPING said:

nunuone said:

This goes beyond activist, and will have great consequences for our constitution in the future.

Well done to them now one half of the country will no longer trust the judiciary.

And more fool them because it was the more conservative half, who will now not think twice about changing the constitution for their benefit.
    It isn't particularly activist at all.

The nearest anyone has come since the Attlee government to try to use extended prorogation for purely political purposes was Major's effort shortly before he lost the election.
    And for obvious reasons no one thought that worth taking to court, despite general loud objection to his behaviour.

• Options

As so often, George Osborne is on the button:

The verdict could not be more disastrous for the PM. He has been humiliated. His government, exactly two months old today, has suffered a catastrophic defeat. His Downing Street team look like dunces — with a fatal combination of hubris, deceit and incompetence.

Above all, Mr Johnson has been exposed as powerless. And all for nothing. There was nothing to be gained by trying to prorogue Parliament — and everything to lose.

For here’s a truth that’s hard to hear amid all the noise today. Fundamentally, the judgment by the Supreme Court doesn’t matter in the battle over Brexit.

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/evening-standard-comment-a-victory-for-democracy-and-the-pm-humiliated-uber-s-delayed-new-ride-the-a4244886.html

I think the main immediate effect of this judgement is simply going to be an even bigger boost to the polarisation of opinion which we've seen since November.

Wankers.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

Your decision.

Nobody else’s.

Not politicians’.

Not Parliament’s.

Not lobby groups’.

Not mine.

Just you.

…I say think again.

An in or out referendum.

Cameron Nov 2015

Osborne Sep 2019

The country decided it didn't want to let the Conservatives do this and so denied them a majority in 2017.
    It gave a collective majority to the Tories and DUP.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

isam said:

image.

And, yet....

Perhaps the Daily Mail will oblige by putting a piccie of the 11 Justices under a suitable headline?
    You can't expect the Mail to support justice. Be reasonable.
  • Options

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

How exactly do you think this ruling is going to lead to PM Corbyn?
    Oh, I don't know: tanking Boris' ratings, making him look weak, making his acceptance of the Benn Bill extension or a resignation inevitable.

All of which brings a far left government closer by the minute.
  • Options
    blueblue said:

I'm sorry, but this is nonsense - MAY herself repeated the March 29th deadline ad nauseam without needing any prompting.

True, she deserves a lot of blame for that. That doesn't exonarate Boris for making the same mistake; in fact it makes it worse, since he'd seen the consequences.
  • Options

He's proroguing the Labour conference?
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268

blueblue said:

eek said:

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

The rule of law stands between us and would be dictators.
    Exactly. The alternative would have been any PM shutting down the legislature any time he or she wanted.
  • Options

image.

In that case, you'll have the opportunity to vote them out at the next election. There's no way this Parliament is going to term, so it'll likely be within months.

At the end of the day, MPs can only block Brexit against the will of the people for just so long. If the people still want it, it'll still happen.
    That depends on how you define the will of the people. It is likely to be the will of the people defined by the curiosities of the FPTP electoral system rather than a referendum.
  • Options
    nunuone said:

TOPPING said:

nunuone said:

This is the real significance of today. I think this means we are heading for some form of written constitution and a much more politically active judiciary. Further evidence of the law of unforeseen consequences in Blair's constitutional reforms. The irony, of course, is that the Law Lords, who would have pronounced on this case before the establishment of the SC, wouldn't have been able to sit, I assume, because Parliament had been prorogued!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited September 2019

If there has been no prorogation as per SC, isnt parliament then technically still in recess for the conf season ?

No, Parliament was never adjourned for recess because the phantom prorogation had already happened before then.
  • Options

Very pleased for you.

Too early to say that, I'm afraid.
  • Options

In recess, parliament can be recalled by the speaker.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Which may lead to the cancellation of Tom Watson's speech.
    one way to avoid the walk out
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Danny565 said:

No, Parliament was never adjourned for recess because the phantom prorogation had already happened before then.
    Danny565 said:

Thanks
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,860
    edited September 2019
    Boris should resign, but nobody wants him to because the presumed alternative, even for five minutes, is Corbyn.

Isn’t it time we dispensed of this wretched old lunatic? He could be out and Tom Watson in as interim Labour leader within days if Labour MPs had the wits and cojones.

A Watson led GONU is not a terrifying concept and such a government could conclude a deal and put it to the people.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Very pleased for you.

Too early to say that, I'm afraid.
    To be honest, I think the split has happened. Say Hunt or whoever ousted Boris, the Tory Brexiteer membership would leave the party. The uneasy alliance that existed from 1992 to 2019 is over.
This discussion has been closed.