Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It should be between 2am and 4am that we get the Brecon result

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Well, if the Tories have won, this count must be policed with an absolute ring of steel, because in every other count I've ever heard of, everyone in the room has had a pretty shrewd idea who is going to win by this time, or at least if it's close who is in contention.

Wasn't there a vote a few years ago where Betfair was wrong even as the Returning Officer was on stage to announce the results?
    You say Betfair was wrong to the extent of having the winner out in the 20s and the loser at 1.02-1.04?

I would find that unbelievable.
    It's happened - There's an example in Mike's book which I no longer have to hand.
    I'm not saying Betfair can't be wrong, of course, but I think anyone who has been to a count and watched the ballot papers piling up will be sceptical about Betfair being wrong by so much in a by-election.
    Not everyone at the count in logged onto betfair on their smartphones y'know!
    You're pulling my leg, aren't you?
    I've been to a count with a smartphone - you just don't do it; ethics innit
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Well, if the Tories have won, this count must be policed with an absolute ring of steel, because in every other count I've ever heard of, everyone in the room has had a pretty shrewd idea who is going to win by this time, or at least if it's close who is in contention.

Wasn't there a vote a few years ago where Betfair was wrong even as the Returning Officer was on stage to announce the results?
    You say Betfair was wrong to the extent of having the winner out in the 20s and the loser at 1.02-1.04?

It's happened - There's an example in Mike's book which I no longer have to hand.
    I'm not saying Betfair can't be wrong, of course, but I think anyone who has been to a count and watched the ballot papers piling up will be sceptical about Betfair being wrong by so much in a by-election.
    At some counts it can be very difficult to see the aggregate bundles; at others it's easy. I've been trying to trace the case above as I vaguely remember it: I think it's a Scottish one from the 2005 Parliament.
    Willie Rennie winning Dunfermline?
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Going from memory it wasn't far from that. OGH or others could give details.

Not saying it's happened but it wouldn't be unprecedented.

This one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Dunfermline_and_West_Fife_by-election
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2019

Chris said:

Wasn't there a vote a few years ago where Betfair was wrong even as the Returning Officer was on stage to announce the results? IIRC SNP won what was meant to be a SLAB hold but I may be wrong.

Not saying that has happened tonight but it wouldn't be unprecedented.
    That was the Dunfermline and West Fife by-election in 2006. (Seems like yesterday). Labour was still expected to win by the betting markets until the official announcement was made. The LDs won it by 1,800.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Dunfermline_and_West_Fife_by-election
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

At some counts it can be very difficult to see the aggregate bundles; at others it's easy. I've been trying to trace the case above as I vaguely remember it: I think it's a Scottish one from the 2005 Parliament.
    It's the one before Lindsay Roy won. It was an SNP gain against predictions, can't remember which seat....... yes I can, Glasgow east
    That's what I thought but I can't find any evidence of the prices: it's a terrible shame that early PB comments are all gone (for ever, @rcs1000?)
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

I think you are remembering Dunfermline West which Willie Rennie won gaining from Labour. The LDs were something like 8/1 when the returning officer was on stage...
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Of course no one's suggesting that people in the hall are moving the market directly by betting themselves!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,027

Chris said:

Chris said:

"The Political Punter How to make money betting on politics, by Mike Smithson", p102
    Case study – Dunfermline by-election, February 2006
    Labour had gone into the contest as very strong favourite and had retained that status almost up to the end. This is how the final 25 minutes looked to gamblers. It serves as a salutary warning..

12:08am News24–LibDemslooklikethey’vewonaccordingto Curtice.
    12:08am FromBBC–‘LibDemsmayhavedoneit’
    12:09am MoneyavailableonLibDemsbetfairat2.0–£100ifyouwant it!
    12:10am Gonenow.
    12:10am SkyNews–‘villagevote’maywinitforLabour.VERYclose.
    12:15am LibDemsnarrowfavouriteonBetfair.
    12:23am LabourfavouritesagainonBetfair
    12:24am Exactlymatchedon1.8now…
    12:27am LookslikeLabour.
    12:28am BetfairindicatingaLabourhold.I’mafraid
    12:29am There’smoneytobehadonBetfairat1.2ifLabourhavewon
    12:30am Reallypoorshowfromthenewschannelshere
    12:32am LDwon
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited August 2019

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

It is a paradox of political betting that the best-informed punters are not active in the market because they are at the count. This may be why general election and referendum night betting has been so profitable for anyone who can extrapolate from early results.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525

Brecon & Radnorshire:

Result expected within next 30 minutes. Recount not expected.

— Britain Elects (@britainelects) August 2, 2019
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    justin124 said:

Byronic said:

AndyJS said:

Boris might be a buffoon but I've never heard anyone describe him as malign.

Definitely malign, the buffoonery is an act.
    Citation required.
    His friendship with Darius Guppy spoke volumes.
    No, it didn't. It spoke of friendship and some upper-upper-middle class entitlement and idiocy.

I am quite prepared to critique Boris, or even condemn him. But these endless character assassinations, of Boris. from the Left, and from Remainerdom, smack of hysteria and desperation.

Corbyn is the one who invited the IRA to the Commons weeks after the Brighton Bomb. Corbyn is the one who elevates Stalinists like McDonnell and Milne to power. Corbyn is the one who cavorts with anti-Semites and Islamists and seems to revel in the fact. Corbyn is the one who overlaps with Chavezy economics and Holocaust deniers.

Both politicians are contentious. Only Corbyn is actively repulsive to most Britons. And for a reason.

Goodnight.
  • Options
    Whatever happens tonight my guess is that the Tories will win this seat in the GE.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited August 2019
    Saltire said:

Brecon & Radnorshire:

Result expected within next 30 minutes. Recount not expected.

— Britain Elects (@britainelects) August 2, 2019
    Clearly an comfortable Lib Dem win.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

"The Political Punter How to make money betting on politics, by Mike Smithson", p102
    Case study – Dunfermline by-election, February 2006
    Labour had gone into the contest as very strong favourite and had retained that status almost up to the end. This is how the final 25 minutes looked to gamblers. It serves as a salutary warning..

12:08am News24–LibDemslooklikethey’vewonaccordingto Curtice.
    12:08am FromBBC–‘LibDemsmayhavedoneit’
    12:09am MoneyavailableonLibDemsbetfairat2.0–£100ifyouwant it!
    12:10am Gonenow.
    12:10am SkyNews–‘villagevote’maywinitforLabour.VERYclose.
    12:15am LibDemsnarrowfavouriteonBetfair.
    12:23am LabourfavouritesagainonBetfair
    12:24am Exactlymatchedon1.8now…
    12:27am LookslikeLabour.
    12:28am BetfairindicatingaLabourhold.I’mafraid
    12:29am There’smoneytobehadonBetfairat1.2ifLabourhavewon
    12:30am Reallypoorshowfromthenewschannelshere
    12:32am LDwon
    But MoneyavailableonLibDemsbetfairat2.0 is an order of magnitude different from what we've been talking about here.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    You can still read the comments on here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20061122193527/http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2006/02/10/lib-dems-and-labour-neck-and-neck-in-the-betting/

How many of those posters are still on the site today? Andrea is. And Harry Hayfield.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    LDs backed off the boards on Betfair. No LD layers left. Tories @ 100.
  • Options
    Looks like the LDs have won.
  • Options

It is a paradox of political betting that the best-informed punters are not active in the market because they are at the count. This may be why general election and referendum night betting has been so profitable for anyone who can extrapolate from early results.

I was able to pile £200-something on Lab Hold Tooting at the last election at something like 1.69 half an hour after the polls closed, which was ridiculous, given how obvious it was even much earlier in the day that we hadn't even come close.

I suspect the LD margin of victory in B&R will be a bit less than the BXP vote, which will open up all manner of cans of worms...

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    It seems like Auchentennach Fine Pies will expand into rural Wales .... :naughty:
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    AndyJS said:

https://web.archive.org/web/20061122193527/http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2006/02/10/lib-dems-and-labour-neck-and-neck-in-the-betting/

How many of those posters are still on the site today? Andrea is. And Harry Hayfield.

Just scanned the thread and I’m there! Post 126. 13 years of my life, off and on. That was a good night, I hope this one is too.
  • Options

I was able to pile £200-something on Lab Hold Tooting at the last election at something like 1.69 half an hour after the polls closed, which was ridiculous, given how obvious it was even much earlier in the day that we hadn't even come close.

I suspect the LD margin of victory in B&R will be a bit less than the BXP vote, which will open up all manner of cans of worms...

If Tory + BRX > 50%, Brexit supporters will spin it as a victory.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    In English please.
  • Options
    A fortune here for any Welsh speakers :)
  • Options
    Anyone understand Welsh?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

If Tory + BRX > 50%, Brexit supporters will spin it as a victory.
    If Tory + BRX = 0 votes they would find some way of doing that.
  • Options
    Hilarious!
  • Options
    #youhadonejob
  • Options
    The returning officer has forgotten to read the main candidates' figures in English. He did for the minor ones.
  • Options

Hilarious!

The befuddled Returning Officer I mean!
  • Options
    What's going on?
  • Options
    Sky News forgot to get a Welsh speaker on board for their coverage.
  • Options
    The returning officer had two jobs to do and he failed to do one of them, ie. read all the results in English as well as Welsh.
  • Options
    LD gain is all I'm getting from Sky news.

Night all
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Not more than 1,000 majority - 13, 000 to 12,000 I think Labour may have saved its deposit.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    Tories got surprisingly close.
  • Options
    Dear oh dear what a muppet! I reckon maybe 1500-1800 majority? Dodds got 13K plus votes and Davies 12K plus?
  • Options
    Over 50% for Brexit but LD gain. Wonder who'll be obsessed with electoral system tonight?
  • Options
    My prediction wasn't far off in the end: I had 45% / 37% / 11% / 5.5%.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Artist said:

No greens, no plaid running against a criminal who still got nearly 40%. Easy Tory regain at a GE which now looks inevitable
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,175
    LD win but Tories will be pleased to have got much closer than the only by election poll suggested they would.

Labour vote collapsed
  • Options
    I got 13,000 something for the LDs. Couldn’t understand anything else!
  • Options
    She's one of those women who seems sort of attractive at first but becomes quite irritating within a few minutes and never regains her earlier appeal, isn't she?
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

AndyJS said:

Just scanned the thread and I’m there! Post 126. 13 years of my life, off and on. That was a good night, I hope this one is too.
    Nice to see you on there. I didn't expect the Wayback Machine to have that page available.
  • Options
    Betting opportunity for diehard Brexiteers: £140 at 1000 on the Tories to win on Betfair Exchange!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,175
    Result closer to Mori and Yougov than other pollsters so good for Tories on that basis
  • Options
    Wonder if it was postal votes while May was PM what lost it?
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    UKIP behind the Loonies, it's SDP Bootle territory for them
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    AndyJS said:

My prediction wasn't far off in the end: I had 45% / 37% / 11% / 5.5%.
    You are seriously good at this shit. Kudos.

Is this the most boring result possible? LDs win, nut not by as much as expected. Tories lose, but not by as much as expected. Labour lose badly, but hold their deposit.

A massive massive YAWN. And a genuine Goodnight to all.
  • Options

Artist said:

No greens, no plaid running against a criminal who still got nearly 40%. Easy Tory regain at a GE which now looks inevitable

Definitely looks like a Tory gain. There’s no more Labour vote to squeeze.

• Options
    1425 majority according to Sky.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Result closer to Mori and Yougov than other pollsters so good for Tories on that basis

Yes brilliant for the Tories.
  • Options
    Labour saved their deposit by 91 votes.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Official Loony defeats Loony UKIP .... :smiley:

Good morning ....
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,318
    Per RodCrosby model which used to be debated on here at lot many years ago - Small Lab to Con swing would imply very positive for Con at subsequent GE.
  • Options
    The new thread is quite quiet.
  • Options
    Con + BRX + UKIP = 50.2%.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    AndyJS said:

Con + BRX + UKIP = 50.2%.

Con+BRX+UKIP+MRLP = 51.2% Brexit Triumph