Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It should be between 2am and 4am that we get the Brecon result

Comments

• Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,027
    Zephyr said:

viewcode said:

Brexit party sources who've surveyed ballot boxes being verified think Lib Dems have won the by-election with half of the vote. Conservatives with a third. Brexit party 1 in 10 and Labour below that.

It's usually considered polite to cite the source you are getting the info from:

https://twitter.com/adrianmasters84/status/1157063445856043008
    If that’s true, brexit is toast.
    If
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,504
    The trouble with these counts is that the people who know what they are doing will be busy doing it, and those who don’t will be wafting around with time to share their half baked thoughts and outright spin with the journalists hanging about.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,940
    Lib Dem hold in Stockport.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Parenthetically...is all reportage in the UK just journalists repeating what other people have told them? I was hoping for something more forensic.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061
    Scott_P said:

If the Tory wins, can there be another recall?

On what grounds? There would need to be a trigger event.
    HYUFD said:
    Tories do well in small towns, it seems to be their core areas these days.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    In other news, rain is wet.

I would laugh if they lost their deposit, but assume they have a bedrock support of around 8-10%.
  • Options
    What a time to be alive - LDs win, possible Tory defections, leads to GE. Tories win, they go for a GE, leads to GE.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141

15-1 now for tories was 5-1 not that long ago

15-1? Those were the days ...
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    Zephyr said:

viewcode said:

Brexit party sources who've surveyed ballot boxes being verified think Lib Dems have won the by-election with half of the vote. Conservatives with a third. Brexit party 1 in 10 and Labour below that.

It's usually considered polite to cite the source you are getting the info from:

Frank Field is about to defect to the Tories.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    LDs have held Hazel Grove
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

The government is planning to create up to 10 free ports across the UK after Brexit

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/49198825

Braintree has a Freeport :)
    Not anymore!

"The UK had seven of them at various points between 1984 and 2012, when the legislation establishing them was not renewed. " from the BBC article.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braintree_Freeport_railway_station
    I don't think looking at that you understand what a freeport or enterprise zone entails. You are correct that it is named as "Braintree Freeport" but I don't think it has the status or advantages associated with that anymore if it ever did.
    Does it encourage local young people to hang around port areas at night, hoping for gainful employment?
    Reminds me of Blackadder! Favours for Sailors...
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438
    PClipp said:

LDs have held Hazel Grove

Was she thinking of making a dash for the exit?
  • Options
    Chris said:

15-1 now for tories was 5-1 not that long ago

15-1? Those were the days ...
    Good Lord, I had a flashback.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

If the Tory wins, can there be another recall?

On what grounds? There would need to be a trigger event.
    HYUFD said:
    Tories do well in small towns, it seems to be their core areas these days.
    All the towns there are small.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ab195 said:

I bet CCHQ is cursing not sneakily funding a “Literal Democrat” candidate onto the ballot paper.

‘it’s illegal nowadays.
    Yes, one joke about our system that the authorities closed off, unfortunately.
  • Options
    nunuone said:

Zephyr said:

viewcode said:

Well, he probably wants to be closer to Kate Hoey
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,175
    Looney candidate arrived to cheers
  • Options

viewcode said:

Oh Christ. He's not gathering data and analysing. He's just repeating what the local politicians tell him. He's Brian O'Hanrahhanrah'han from The Day Today. Look at the boxes and make your own conclusions, dippy!

[the curse of Wikipedia. Just because the source is good, doesn't make it true. You have to check!]

That tweet does sound bad for the tories
    Part and parcel of the by-election cycle. Tories have no chance, no maybe it looks close, no it is comfortable LD after all. All reasonably plausible scenarios have already been cycled through no doubt.
  • Options
    nunuone said:

Zephyr said:

viewcode said:

Field travels with this government on brexit. But probably not much else?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

You mean the outgoing MP?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The trouble with these counts is that the people who know what they are doing will be busy doing it, and those who don’t will be wafting around with time to share their half baked thoughts and outright spin with the journalists hanging about.

Back in the day when we had decent count reports

https://youtu.be/h6mJw50OdZ4
  • Options
    Sky interviewing Davey. Implying Swinson's not there? Good omen for the tories maybes...
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,032
    Zephyr said:

dixiedean said:

marke09 said:

Adrian Masters
    @adrianmasters84
    ·
    8m
    Labour source says early boxes are looking better for Conservatives than expected and worse for Brexit party than expected.

Again. Depends what they expected.
    Who do you think labour sources want to win this one, out of the two candidates who can actually win? My guess is tonight Labour are rooting for the libdems.
    Of course.
  • Options
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

You mean the outgoing MP?
    I didn’t think he was a no dealer, despite being an ERG member?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,925

Sky interviewing Davey. Implying Swinson's not there? Good omen for the tories maybes...

Davey seems to be rather downbeat and getting his excuses in early...

Surely Lib-Dems haven't screwed this up?
  • Options
    Come on you people. Believe in the Boris!

If you believe hard enough, a thousand pounds will turn into £30,000 within a few hours. What's not to like?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

I just can't see the Tories winning.

No green Party, No Plaid, labour vote crumbling, poor choice in Conservative candidate, Tory vote split with Brexit party. Up against 2017 election where Conservative, while not great in seats terms actually polled very highly.

Lib dems polling super strong at the moment, with postal votes coming before Boris Bounce.

If Con have done this, it is remarkable

If the Tories win by 1 vote please can my 2 hours phoning from CCHQ tonight get a mention?
    We’ll all be wishing you’d done a third hour, telling all those unwanted remainers to p**s off and vote LibDem.

BTW doesn’t the Tory system allow helpers to phone from their home?
    By the time I had got back from work was quicker to phone from CCHQ plus went for drinks afterwards in Westminster with some interns across parties and Epping colleagues
    Ah the life of the Metropolitan elite. :)
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Zephyr said:

nunuone said:

Zephyr said:

viewcode said:

He was very critical of UC and its roll out in the last year or so and the Tories welfare policies in general. He maybe a Brexiteer but he does not approve of the way the Government has gone about welfare reform IMO. I doubt given his exposure to the harrowing experiences of constituents in Birkenhead he would ever back the Tories...
  • Options
    madmacsmadmacs Posts: 75
    BBC Wales reporting that ex Tory Director of Strategy says "looks like a Lib Dem gain" but will be better than anticipated for the Tories. As someone who has been to many counts as a counting agent I would expect the agents who are collating figures to have a good idea of the result, if close postal votes which will be added last could decide the outcome.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Davey seems to be rather downbeat and getting his excuses in early...

Surely Lib-Dems haven't screwed this up?
    Well it is not a good look to seem too triumphant too early, sometimes people overshoot in the other direction.

But I will have to find out in the morning. As ever, I hope for the most interesting and/or funny outcome.
  • Options
    Chris said:

If you believe hard enough, a thousand pounds will turn into £30,000 within a few hours. What's not to like?

Since when did we start quoting the high-roller numbers???????

min bet's 2 quid

Make just over 50 quid is what you mean surely
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    In other news, rain is wet.

I would laugh if they lost their deposit, but assume they have a bedrock support of around 8-10%.
    But everyone of that 8 to 10% would want to see Boris Bounce punctured, his commons majority not increased, and, those that are remainers, the remain option triumphing.

If its hollow for Swinson to claim mighty breakthrough tomorrow thanks to such Labour votes, then it was Mega hollow for Labours triumphalism after 2017 election when they most benefited from remain votes in just the same way.

The real danger is when leaders and their followers actually believe all the votes were for them and their policy.
  • Options
  • Options
    59% turnout
  • Options
    59% turnout
  • Options
    Chris said:

Which bookies are offering those odds?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited August 2019
    My turnout prediction was 62%. Apparently it's 59%.

I'm sticking with my prediction numbers:

LD 15,600
    Con 12,800
    BRX 3,800
    Lab 1,900
    UKIP 400
    Loony 100
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Zephyr said:

nunuone said:

Zephyr said:

viewcode said:

He was very critical of UC and its roll out in the last year or so and the Tories welfare policies in general. He maybe a Brexiteer but he does not approve of the way the Government has gone about welfare reform IMO. I doubt given his exposure to the harrowing experiences of constituents in Birkenhead he would ever back the Tories...
    Indeed. And what's more he knows his stuff, too. He has been excoriating about Tory welfare reforms, and has actually held the government to account, quite obviously being better informed than most at the DWP who have an Army of civil servants at their service. I am at a loss as to why some Tories hold him up as their pet ex-Labour MP.
    Other than that everything must be seen through a Brexit prism, of course.
    Although, if Boris were serious about social exclusion, Field to DWP would be a start. Amber doesn't need the cash anyways.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,318
    Very low Brexit Party vote could have implications re broadcaster treatment at GE.

Two things OFCOM look at - Westminster history + polls.

However Peterborough would have given weight to argument for more prominent treatment.

If only 10% in Brecon and in clear 4th place well below big three in polls then broadcasters will marginalise them.
  • Options
    madmacsmadmacs Posts: 75
    Adrian Masters

@adrianmasters84

The crucial town of Ystradgynlais seems to have gone to the Lib Dems. 'We've lost Ystradgynlais,' says one Tory. 'That's us done.'
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

LD 15,600
    Con 12,800
    BRX 3,800
    Lab 1,900
    UKIP 400
    Loony 100

We'll find out in a bit. Congrats if correct.
  • Options
    Turnout 59.7 via Sky
  • Options
  • Options
    edited August 2019

Chris said:

min bet's 2 quid

From what they post, it would be sheer silliness to talk about £2 turning into £60.That's the kind of amount that it wouldn't be worth their while to bend down and pick up if they saw it lying on the pavement.

Talking of which - this looks like the last chance for Boris fas to jump in and turn a thousand into now - amazingly - £45,000. Quick, now, before it becomes obvious the Tories are going to win, and we reach crossover.
  • Options
    Makes you wonder if Con had put up a sensible candiadte rather than a convicted criminal whether they could have held on here...
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    viewcode said:

Chris said:

Betfair.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

AndyJS said:

LD 15,600
    Con 12,800
    BRX 3,800
    Lab 1,900
    UKIP 400
    Loony 100

We'll find out in a bit. Congrats if correct.
    It's just a bit of fun, as Peter Snow used to say.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Zephyr said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I just can't see the Tories winning.

No green Party, No Plaid, labour vote crumbling, poor choice in Conservative candidate, Tory vote split with Brexit party. Up against 2017 election where Conservative, while not great in seats terms actually polled very highly.

Lib dems polling super strong at the moment, with postal votes coming before Boris Bounce.

If Con have done this, it is remarkable

If the Tories win by 1 vote please can my 2 hours phoning from CCHQ tonight get a mention?
    You should expect a call from Boris himself
    I expect Boris would be hungover and having a celebratory 'morning in bed' with Carrie!
    Oh the joys of lying in... oh! Has he just spilt last nights Pinot on the sheets. Oh dear. Put the new iPad down. No don’t throw - Crash! Put the laptop down, it’s what I must use to start nuclear war. No don’t throw it

Further down the ballot will Lily the Pink mop up hard left votes in error?

The people’s flag is slightly pink, it’s not as red as most folks think?
    No. But “don’t blame me - I voted loony” has a stronger pull with each passing day.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:

min bet's 2 quid

From what they post, it would be sheer silliness to talk about £2 turning into £60.That's the kind of amount that it wouldn't be worth their while to bend down and pick up if they saw it lying on the pavement.

Talking of which - this looks like the last chance for Boris fas to jump in and turn a thousand into now - amazingly - £45,000. Quick, now, before it becomes obvious the Tories are going to win, and we reach crossover.
    I'm sure this 1k bet is a new thing being invented tonight - I suggest that we post as reference 100 GBP when it comes to close/heavy favourite nights such as tonight.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Chris said:

I'm looking at Betfair Exchange.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Turnout well down on the 79.4% recorded at the 1985 by election.
  • Options
    madmacs said:

Adrian Masters

@adrianmasters84

The crucial town of Ystradgynlais seems to have gone to the Lib Dems. 'We've lost Ystradgynlais,' says one Tory. 'That's us done.'

Surely they didn't expect to win there? There's optimism and belief, and then there is sheer delusion.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Makes you wonder if Con had put up a sensible candiadte rather than a convicted criminal whether they could have held on here...

Perhaps, though the possibility of tariffs against lamb must have concentrated a few minds.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,548
    Can they get on with this counting malarkey? Some of us have jobs to get up for in the morning...
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    I have an unexpected yearning for a cucumber sandwich.
  • Options
    Andrew Teale's excellent by-election previews.

https://britainelects.com/2019/07/31/previews-01-aug-2019/
  • Options

viewcode said:

Chris said:

Betfair.
    Current Betfair odds are:

Conservatives: 6/1-£53, 30/1-£30, 34/1-18.

That's (6x53)+(30x30)+(34x18) = £1,830. Not £30,000. Am I missing something? Genuine question.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.159853905
  • Options
    Labour candidate waffling about nothing...
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

Can they get on with this counting malarkey? Some of us have jobs to get up for in the morning...

This seat usually declares at around 2:45am.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Chris said:

Betfair.

That's (6x53)+(30x30)+(34x18) = £1,830. Not £30,000. Am I missing something? Genuine question.

I think they're talking about laying the LDs with their imaginary grand
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Tactical error on my part. Neglected to buy popcorn.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Chris said:

Betfair.

OK admittedly, even though Betfair Exchange is currently offering a ratio of 38, it's not possible to bet anything like a thousand pounds at that price. So maybe I should have said £10 would turn into £300.
  • Options
    If Labour lose their deposit that will, rightly, be the headline tomorrow. LABOUR LOSE DEPOSIT IN WALES

Corbyn is really really REALLY close to destroying Labour, and allowing the Lib Dems to become the Opposition Party. How can an apparently sane, educated person like NPXMP not see this?!?!
  • Options
    Decapitation strategy fans may be interested in Shadsy's general election constituency odds.

Uxbridge
    Con 1/5
    Lab 5/1
    BXP 10/1
    LD 50/1

Islington North
    Lab 1/10
    LD 6/1
    Con 50/1
    BXP 50/1

Uxbridge prices look tight and almost generous with a hundred per cent book on the main two, if you are happy to disregard the BXP.

• Options
    The southern part of the constituency borders Labour's formerly "rock solid" valleys constituencies like Merthyr Tydfil.
  • Options
    Labour candidate on Sky saying voters turning to Labour because of 'Corbyn's Progressive policies.' Think he is at the wrong count
  • Options
    JBriskinindyref2JBriskinindyref2 Posts: 1,775
    edited August 2019
    LDs increasingly Bullish says Lewis Goodall
  • Options
    Byronic said:

If Labour lose their deposit that will, rightly, be the headline tomorrow. LABOUR LOSE DEPOSIT IN WALES

Corbyn is really really REALLY close to destroying Labour, and allowing the Lib Dems to become the Opposition Party. How can an apparently sane, educated person like NPXMP not see this?!?!

Can you give us one reason for a labour remain voter not to vote libdem in this particular election?
  • Options
    The hapless Labour candidate is on Sky news now. Unconvincingly claimed voters are switching to Lab in droves, due to Jezza's progressive polices,
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

madmacs said:

Adrian Masters

@adrianmasters84

Surely they didn't expect to win there? There's optimism and belief, and then there is sheer delusion.
    Edit. I see what they mean. Ystradgynlais, the largest town in B+R, and the Labour heart of the seat has voted LD to beat the Tory. As was obvious.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Perhaps, though the possibility of tariffs against lamb must have concentrated a few minds.
    Maybe they thought the Brexiteer should get the chop!
  • Options
    Chris said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Chris said:

Betfair.

OK admittedly, even though Betfair Exchange is currently offering a ratio of 38, it's not possible to bet anything like a thousand pounds at that price. So maybe I should have said £10 would turn into £300.
    Ah, OK.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Byronic said:

That will not be the headline. Both main contenders elected a new leader last week. For one of them, the bounce is over. That will be the headline. The strapline will be the effect on Boris's majority (assuming he can keep the DUP onboard) with leading articles on what this means for Brexit and a snap election.

ETA the true measure of Corbyn's effect is that Labour will *not* be the headline. Labour right now does not matter.
  • Options
    If true it’s a shame libdems aren’t smart enough to keep quiet about that bit and keep Corbyn in job for as long as possible then.
  • Options

The hapless Labour candidate is on Sky news now. Unconvincingly claimed voters are switching to Lab in droves, due to Jezza's progressive polices,
    Does anybody have their number, I have a bridge to sell them...
  • Options
    Zephyr said:

Byronic said:

Can you give us one reason for a labour remain voter not to vote libdem in this particular election?
    No. And I cannot give you one reason why 80% of Labour voters would not switch to the Lib Dems at a General Election, if the Lib Dems look like a credible, Remainery, Unionist opposition.

Heck, even I might vote for them, given the shambles in the Tory party.

I could never, ever vote for Corbyn. That is your problem. Get RID of this repulsive Marxist Jew-hater. NOW.
  • Options

The government is planning to create up to 10 free ports across the UK after Brexit

Not anymore!

"The UK had seven of them at various points between 1984 and 2012, when the legislation establishing them was not renewed. " from the BBC article.
    I don't think looking at that you understand what a freeport or enterprise zone entails. You are correct that it is named as "Braintree Freeport" but I don't think it has the status or advantages associated with that anymore if it ever did.
    The station's still called Freeport!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    GIN1138 said:

I think the theory was "oh, we're going to lose it anyway, might as well have a good excuse."

Moronic.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Absolutely. Some of the condemned sheep may have been ex lovers of voters.
  • Options
    Zephyr said:

If true it’s a shame libdems aren’t smart enough to keep quiet about that bit and keep Corbyn in job for as long as possible then.

Corbyn’s not going anywhere whatever happens.

• Options
    B&R Conservatives now 6 (30 to lay) on Betfair so someone thinks they know something.

And in the time it takes to type that, it is back to 20/50. It may be people closing open positions, as there is not much money left.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074
    For the record: who the hell knows?

I suspect it's going to be a LibDem gain, but am not tempted to bet on the heavy favourite.
  • Options

I've already flogged him some magic beans.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Chris said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Chris said:

Betfair.

Ah, OK.
    Yes, of course you're right. And probably this is the reason the markets are misleadingly pointing to a Lib Dem victory. Even though there's money to be made, the amount is far too small to make it worthwhile for those in the know to divert their personal assistants from more lucrative activities.
  • Options

Zephyr said:

It is indescribably stupid that Corbyn is still there. The entire PLP should resign. The alternative is oblivion.
  • Options
    My prediction numbers adjusted for the slightly lower turnout than I was expecting:

LD 14,300
    Con 11,800
    BRX 3,500
    Lab 1,750
    UKIP 400
    Loony 100
  • Options

I've already flogged him some magic beans.
    He’s already swallowed some.
  • Options
    Chris said:

viewcode said:

Chris said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Chris said:

Betfair.

Ah, OK.
    Yes, of course you're right. And probably this is the reason the markets are misleadingly pointing to a Lib Dem victory. Even though there's money to be made, the amount is far too small to make it worthwhile for those in the know to divert their personal assistants from more lucrative activities.
    If you wanted to back the Tories with serious money, you'd lay Lib Dems at 1.05. There's £1500 on the table as I write. Much more liquidity there.
  • Options

Not anymore!

The station's still called Freeport!
    Indeed. Talking about stations with unusual names: Bat & Ball. I kid you not!
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Zephyr said:

It is indescribably stupid that Corbyn is still there. The entire PLP should resign. The alternative is oblivion.
    So they said last time. Second time might be right, but it'll need to be tested to destruction to find out.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

My prediction numbers adjusted for the slightly lower turnout than I was expecting:

LD 14,300
    Con 11,800
    BRX 3,500
    Lab 1,750
    UKIP 400
    Loony 100

Your predix are usually very good. Bravo. Is that a lost Labour deposit?
This discussion has been closed.