Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first post leadership elections’ poll has Swinton’s party

12346»

Comments

• Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    malcolmg said:

Fenster said:

#TeamBoris

I'm a happy soul and don't take life very seriously. Perhaps that's why I see virtue in Boris.

He might well fail but at least it won't be the miserable, paranoid, incurious and dreary failure of a May or a Brown.

Have to say he can speak a lot better than ever Brown or May could. They just made you want to throw yourself under a bus, at least you want to listen to him even if you know he is fibbing.
    Thank you Malcolm, as a fellow Celt help yourself to a brandy! :)
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

The nutjobs will have loved it. Not a speech to convert the doubters.

It was impressively divisive and merely demonstrated that when he talks of uniting Britain what he actually means is uniting the Conservative party. He may succeed in that by driving all sensible Tories away.

Not as divisive as you and Meeks calling people who disagree with you loons or nutjobs.

I am not Prime Minister. But plenty of people disagree with me all the time. I do not call them loons or nutjobs. I only use such terms for loons and nutjobs. Those, for example, who campaigned for the UK to leave the EU without knowing how the EU works, how FTAs are done and what a just in time supply chain is; and those who believe that we can leave the EU on what they call WTO terms and be absolutely fine. There is quite a strong crossover between the two sets, surprisingly.

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

The Brexit loons own it all now. Every single bit of it. Whatever happens from here on in is down to them.

As it should have been 3 years ago. Own it, nowhere to hide.

Three years ago they chickened out of trying.

'They' didn't. Boris did but Gove and Leadsom stood. One of them should have been elected.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,723
    malcolmg said:

Mango said:

notme2 said:

But there is no Climate Emergency, Climate Breakdown, crisis or any other doomsday cult rubbish.

Says you. As opposed to people with actual qualifications.

Sometime I think we really deserve our annihilation.
    Somebody needs to tell the Climate Emergency about Scotland, it seems to have missed us.
    Tell that to the capercaillie.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,049
    edited July 2019

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Brom said:

The attacks on Jo Swinson and the latest speculations about her seat, which she holds with a 10% margin are a clear sign that the two main parties are rattled by both her and the LibDem surge.

Fabulous. She's more than capable of standing up for herself.

LibDems are surging.

The snowflake generation don't like it when their own are critiqued. I think its fair enough that people discuss ability to hold seats on a political betting site, particularly given the volatility in Scotland
    Of course of course but I think it's interesting because people seem to be really waking up to the LibDem surge.

I think Jo Swinson is fabulous. Underestimate this lady at your peril.
    LOL, it is unbelievable on here, week to week it moves from one donkey to the next. Great mutterings of wonder and hopes dashed time after time. Swinson is at best average, she may get a few sympathy votes initially but will not be long till the lying Lib Dems will be propping up the losers table
    Well I think your extreme antipathy is because you're sexist. And, besides, comments like 'the lying Lib Dems' and 'propping up the losers table' are more suited to the comments section of Guido Fawkes.

If you'd like to explain why Jo Swinson isn't so great in your eyes, apart from the fact that she's a woman, kindly do.
    For a start , her voting record is appalling, nothing liberal or democratic about it. Voted for every nasty Tory policy , every warmongering policy and then the moron has the effrontery to state that she will never allow Scotland a referendum because she is a thick unionist twunk scared they will lose next vote. So as bad , nasty and evil as your worst Tory with no understanding of democracy. In general a real nasty hypocritical piece of work.
    Strip out your personal attacks and basically you are left with the fact there that you don't like her because she has the audacity to be a female Scottish LibDem and you are a Scottish nationalist. Of course she has voted for a number of centrist policies and often in a pragmatic way.

Unlike you I'm not that swivel-eyed. I can see good in some SNP MPs and MSPs and in policies.

Park your partisan hatred. It's typified too many of your nation and too many in your party for far too long.
    Are you a deranged feminist obsessed with sexism. If women are crap they deserve the same opprobrium as their male counterparts. I am equally scathing about such runts as Mundell, Rennie, Leonard et al.
    PS: stick your last xenophobic unionist comment up your jacksie.
  • Options

He really does believe he's Churchill. He's started imitating Churchill's intonations and pauses.

Yes, I've noticed that for a while. He's even doing the narrowed eyes, head pushed forward and shaggy-faced scowl.
    Yup. It's the whole package of mannerisms he started doing, somewhere in the middle of the leadership campaign. Before that it was just isolated hints.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,310
    The other striking thing about Bozo is that he never rises to an occasion.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    HYUFD said:

Good speech by Boris.

Let's be frank. If he stood in front of Downing Street and spoke in Esperanto about the wonders of tourism to Chernobyl you'd think it was a good speech.

Huge boos are the main thing I'm taking from it
    Maggie Thatcher always got huge boos from the left but win 3 general elections and was the best PM of my lifetime
    How dare you doubt Boris. Typical remoaner.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,067
    edited July 2019
    malcolmg said:

Mango said:

notme2 said:

But there is no Climate Emergency, Climate Breakdown, crisis or any other doomsday cult rubbish.

Somebody needs to tell the Climate Emergency about Scotland, it seems to have missed us.
    Was in Edinburgh today delivering a training session and it is about 10 degrees cooler than London.

Scotland for a summer break, Spain for a winter break sounds a good plan if we keep getting hot summers
  • Options

Total drivel.

Awful nonsense of incoherent rantings. He comes across sometimes as really quite deranged.

Cretin
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Good speech by Boris.

Let's be frank. If he stood in front of Downing Street and spoke in Esperanto about the wonders of tourism to Chernobyl you'd think it was a good speech.

Huge boos are the main thing I'm taking from it
    Maggie Thatcher always got huge boos from the left but win 3 general elections and was the best PM of my lifetime
    How dare you doubt Boris. Typical remoaner.
    If Boris was doing better thsn Thatcher after half a day that really would be an achievement
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    IanB2 said:

I thought part of the problem with Boris was he was often too keen to rise to the occasion.....
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    edited July 2019
    Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

Mango said:

notme2 said:

Tell that to the capercaillie.
    huh?

"The agency said the causes for this decline were varied.

They included further habitat loss, partly due to sheep and deer grazing on blaeberries, the juicy purple-blue fruit favoured by capercaillie.

Breeding females have increasingly fallen prey to crows, foxes and also poor summer weather.

Forestry operations and recreational pursuits in woodlands have also impacted on breeding birds.

Capercaillie have also been killed flying into high fences used to protect commercial forests from deer."

https://bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-24116050

Jesus it's the first f***ing google. I mean if anyone wants people to take the "Climate Emergency" seriously they should avoid obvious errors like this.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Carrie might disagree
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

malcolmg said:

AndyJS said:

Boris's next task will be to take a look at the nuclear codes.

Isn't one of the first jobs to hand write a letter to the commanders of the Nuclear subs instructing them what to do in the event of the political establishment being nuked?
    Meanwhile they are unable to stop a speedboat stealing a British tanker, you could not make it up.
    The problem is that there are hundreds of tankers, and lots of speedboats.

And we don't have very many deployable ships.
    Nigel, you trying to tell me we don't rule the waves. They have a short strait to go through, if we don't have enough ships to patrol that very short distance someone should be in the tower. Given all the cancelled orders for frigates , destroyers, Aircraft carrier with no aircraft that cannot leave harbour as it leaks like a seive etc, is it any wonder. We have more Admiral's than ships which says it all.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    All this talk of tax cuts on businesses and capital after all this austerity is an open goal for Labour and the LDs.

Will go down like a bucket of cold sick.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

The Brexit loons own it all now. Every single bit of it. Whatever happens from here on in is down to them.

As it should have been 3 years ago. Own it, nowhere to hide.

Three years ago they chickened out of trying.

'They' didn't. Boris did but Gove and Leadsom stood. One of them should have been elected.

They all pulled out. Not one of them had the guts to go before the membership.

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969

Using a wheeze roughly similar to the Cooper-Boles Bill and taking back control. With the help of a sympathetic Speaker and with a large majority in both Houses they can make the rules up.

Okay, so let's say they pass a bill insisting Boris goes back and negotiates an extension. He doesn't. What then? (Not rhetorical by the way, I really don't know).
    My suggestion would be that they appoint someone else (Larry the Cat is the example I've used in the past, as he's a safe pair of paws and acceptable to all sides) to be Her Majesty's High Representative for Article 50 Extension, and pass an Act of Parliament to give this person the necessary powers.
    As I said the other day, you are quite forward with your attacks on changes to the constitution when you do not agree with them but quite happy to see our constitutional arrangements thrown out simply because you agree with the aims.

I think the Royal Prerogative powers should be done away with wholesale. But that should be done by means of proper debate and primary legislation, not back of a fag packet stuff just to meet your own agenda.
    The attorney general advised our previous PM it would be illegal for her not to extend A50 when that was parliaments wishes according to several cabinet ministers. https://www.itv.com/news/2019-03-26/prime-minister-would-break-the-law-if-she-ignores-letwin-result/

I dont believe that advice was ever made public so we do not know how much flexibility there might be for the PM to be awkward. He may have far less room to do as he wishes than people are generally assuming, especially if he wants to stay within our constitutional arrangements.
    I would like to see that advice in full. It appears to run counter to the current arrangements and would imply that the Royal Prerogative is already useless. I doubt very much that is the case.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,520

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Fenster said:

malcolmg said:

Fenster said:

#TeamBoris

I'm a happy soul and don't take life very seriously. Perhaps that's why I see virtue in Boris.

He might well fail but at least it won't be the miserable, paranoid, incurious and dreary failure of a May or a Brown.

Have to say he can speak a lot better than ever Brown or May could. They just made you want to throw yourself under a bus, at least you want to listen to him even if you know he is fibbing.
    Thank you Malcolm, as a fellow Celt help yourself to a brandy! :)
    Fenster , I bought a nice Woodford Reserve Bourbon at the weekend I will indulge and toast your good health tonight.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,264
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Mango said:

notme2 said:

Was in Edinburgh today delivering a training session and it is about 10 degrees cooler than London.

Scotland for a summer break, Spain for a winter break sounds a good plan if we keep getting hot summers
    I'm in Wick. Its roasting hot. God alone knows what its like in London. Where I'll be tomorrow on the hottest day ever...
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Mango said:

notme2 said:

I'm in Wick. Its roasting hot. God alone knows what its like in London. Where I'll be tomorrow on the hottest day ever...
    I was in London yesterday and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting, because of the fact that all the tall buildings create plenty of shade. You forget about that when you're not there.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Mango said:

notme2 said:

I am on west coast , sunny and pleasant here.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,280
    glw said:

Buy some dollars or euros?

Yes, do a Soros, I was going to say - but beaten to it, I see, down the thread.

Speaking of betting, 2 massive markets settled in the last 2 days - next PM and next Tory leader. I made an aggregate £312. So, you know, Smug City.

But perhaps not because listen to this -

I built my book on laying Jeremy Corbyn for next PM. That was my start point. Laid £350 at an average 6.5, something like that.

I then, over the course of the last few months, did a total of around 500 - FIVE HUNDRED - individual bets, backing and laying multiple names, trading like a maniac basically. Net effect of all this activity? A loss of £38. That is, I would have been better off, having laid JC, doing absolutely nothing. £350 profit instead of £312.

Moral of the tale? Do not trade for the sake of it - e.g. because you are bored or simply like watching exposures change. Just go in bigly where you assess a mis-price and leave it be.

On which note - 2019 No Deal at 3.5. That is begging for a sell. Should be MUCH longer IMO.

Or should it? Boris did sound quite determined there.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,796
    Streeter said:

WTF does battery technology have to do with Brexit?

From the EU Strategic Action Plan on Batteries:

It is estimated that 20-30 giga-factories for battery cells production alone will have to be built in Europe and their related ecosystem will need to be considerably strengthened.
    6 The scale and speed of investment needed means that the swift leveraging of private investment will be a key success factor.
    Today the European share of global cell manufacturing is just 3 per cent, while Asia has an 85 per cent share.
    7 If no action is taken to support the creation of a viable battery manufacturing sector, there is a risk that Europe falls irreversibly behind its competitors.

Gotta compete with those evil Europeans...
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,888

AndyJS said:

Isn't one of the first jobs to hand write a letter to the commanders of the Nuclear subs instructing them what to do in the event of the political establishment being nuked?
    Yes. Although it's not a "first-five-minutes" first job, it's more "later in the day"
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,888
    AndyJS said:

This is Britain, not the US. We don't have nuclear codes, we don't have a two-man rule, we don't have those snappy cards. The PM gives the order, it's relayed to the subs, they launch. IIRC it's one of the few commands (the only one?) which is issued by the PM directly instead of via a military officer. Although since he can't operate the sub communications thingy and doesn't know where it is, he will in practice have to go via one
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,167
    HYUFD said:

Foxy said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

It's not totally impossible that the Lib Dems do really well at the next GE but their leader loses her seat.

Which if Chuka wins Streatham as a LD and beats Labour would finally enable him to fulfil his destiny if Jo Swinson loses her seat back to the SNP
    Either of those things - Chuka winning Streatham or Swinson losing East Dunbartonshire - are possible.

But the combination of both is ridiculously unlikely. The Lib Dems would be have a good election to allow them to gain/hold Streatham, such that they just aren't going to lose a seat with a 10% majority.
    No, the LDs were on just 10% in Scotland with Yougov with the SNP on 42% in the last Yougov even as the LDs are on 23% ahead of Labour on just 19% in the latest Yougov nationwide.

Plus the Tory vote only rose 6% in East Dunbartonshire at the last general election but 14% Scotland wide and many Tories will not tactically vote for her again as she is a diehard Remainer even if not SNP, they will stick with the Tories
    Why are you so sure that those Tory to LD switchers in East Dunbartonshire were tactical, rather than genuine switchers?

The SLDs had a low poll in Scotland last time, but good focus got them 4 seats as I recall.

I think that on aboard infested by the yellow peril, you are the only one forecasting Chukka as next leader, and do not have either a vote or insight in the party.
    I would remind you I was one of the few on here who predicted Boris as next Tory leader so I am happy with my Chuka as next LD leader prediction. I can see him in No 10 more than Swinson.

The Tory to LD switching in East Dunbartonshire has been entirely tactical against the SNP and was even then before Brexit in 2015, it could easily unwind
    Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day.

When you manage to develop a vocabulary containing much more than the words “diehard” and “remainer” then talk to us about your prescience. Swinson is pretty safe. More Scots ex-Tories are remainers (whether “diehard” or otherwise) than anywhere else. Boris will keep them with the LDs - he’s even more toxic in Scotland than everywhere else outside your party.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

A more difficult question.
    If Boris Johnson were to die in his bed tonight, who becomes PM, or rather, who heads the Executive?

Cabinet makes a decision amongst themselves iirc. Although in recent years we seem to have invented a DPM, so most likely them.

In past I believe the convention was that it would be the Home Sec. but not sure it has ever been tested in recent times.
    Although the Regency Council (apropos nothing in particular) consists of the Lord Chancellor, ++Cantab and Prince of Wales)
This discussion has been closed.