Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first post leadership elections’ poll has Swinton’s party

Comments

• Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Lol at Matthew Parris telling the BBC that Boris does not do detail whilst forgetting the name of the lady in jail in Iran.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,860
    kle4 said:

You can always rely on climate protestors to make it all about themselves. Me me me, the lot of them.

Which is unfortunate because the good cause in question gets plenty of attention now without such ego boosting stuff, which just makes plenty of others who agree with the broad principle embarrassed.

You can always rely on the suffragettes, er, coloured people, er, homosexuals, er climate protestors...to make it all about themselves.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,723
    Mango said:

Nigelb said:

Just got the fears.

In half an hour or so Boris will be handed the nuclear codes.

Even in his more off piste moment, he hasn’t mused about incinerating entire nation, as Trump has a least twice.
    Do you think he'll write two different versions of the letters of last resort for the sub commanders?
    Presumably we do have a vaiety of instructions on who to incinerate depending on who we are quarreling with at that moment.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    Brexit H2 2019 shortening - now 2.12/2.3.

Might polls like today's YouGov prompt more Lab backbenchers to support a deal.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,235

Cyclefree said:

Has Boris actually managed to appoint a

Pulpstar said:

Cyclefree said:

That useless twonk, Corbyn, is asking us all to join in a rally tomorrow asking for .....drum roll ..... a General Election.

Why the fuck doesn’t he just table a VoNC?

If Boris did go for a GE, I don’t even think he would demand an extension of Art. 50 as the price for it.

No I think on this Corbyn is absolutely right. This has been discussed widely across the opposition. Timing is everything. If the VONC falls, as it likely tomorrow, it will fortify Boris for the summer. It will be much better to leave the fool (Boris that is, not Corbyn) to start making plenty of errors and enemies through the rest of the summer and then hit him hard in early September when minds will be very focused on the looming exit date.

Corbyn has got this one right.
    "Now is not the time"

A common theme for May, her enemies, Corbyn, his enemies, and Boris and his opposition and enemies too I expect.
    Yeah, yeah: manana, manana, jam tomorrow, excuses, excuses.

All bullshit, I’m sorry to say.

He’s not doing it because he wants a No Deal Brexit, wants that to happen under the Tories, doesn’t want all the bother of having to negotiate with the EU and wants to come to power in the chaos unleashed by such an exit with all the blame falling on the Tories.

And thanks to the ERG loons and their little helpers, he may well get his wish.

The ERG want a clean Brexit. If it happens they're not loons.

If no deal happens then every single one of the over 400 MPs who rejected the deal is responsible. If they also opposed no deal then they were loons for rejecting the only deal.
    Jeez "clean Brexit"... there is a Bullshit phrase if there was one. The UK can't just waltz off into the evening. No matter what, there are tens of thousands of new pieces of paper to sort out: mostly they are currently covered by EU membership, but post Brexit, gone. The scale of what you are inflicting on every UK corporation big or small that has the slightest export or import connection is beyond their ability to cope.

The ERG, a bunch of ****wits with about a junior sales job in business between them have literally no idea what they are talking about. BoJo's manifesto of "**** business" is about to come extremely unstuck.

There is no "clean Brexit" there are no unicorns, and Tinkerbell is dead.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,334
    No 10 Twitter page. Boris is PM
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Brexit H2 2019 shortening - now 2.12/2.3.

Might polls like today's YouGov prompt more Lab backbenchers to support a deal.

If labour have any sense they need to vote for the WDA or similar to lance the boil
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,856
    edited July 2019

kle4 said:

You can always rely on climate protestors to make it all about themselves. Me me me, the lot of them.

Which is unfortunate because the good cause in question gets plenty of attention now without such ego boosting stuff, which just makes plenty of others who agree with the broad principle embarrassed.

You can always rely on the suffragettes, er, coloured people, er, homosexuals, er climate protestors...to make it all about themselves.
    I resent your implication, because I made pretty clear I support action being taken in respect of climate issues. I think we should be doing a lot more than we are now.

But childish stunts are just childish, and about making people feel better about themselves.

Unless you'd like to supply some reason you think my views are equivalent to being against women having the vote, or being racist and homophobic, up yours you sanctimonious shit.

Indeed, your response in assuming what you think is my attitude toward climate issues demonstrates perfectly why such protests are so childish, since they also pretend if people don't like such action that they don't support tackling these issues and must be awful people. A very childish attitude to take.
  • Options
    BBC expert talking about Boris staying at Balmoral in late Sept.

Presumably that gets scrapped if during a GE campaign!
  • Options
    Official photo Boris shaking the Queens hand
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,709
    Mango said:

Nigelb said:

Just got the fears.

In half an hour or so Boris will be handed the nuclear codes.

Even in his more off piste moment, he hasn’t mused about incinerating entire nation, as Trump has a least twice.
    Do you think he'll write two different versions of the letters of last resort for the sub commanders?
    If he gets around to it.
  • Options
    Sky. Boris Johnson is now Prime Minister
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Sky News — Boris is now PM.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,332

So far, so good. So much for pessimism.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Con GAIN United Kingdom
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,829
    Boris!!!!!! :open_mouth:
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    justin124 said:

TOPPING said:

So my constituency, Ealing Central & Acton, went from a super-marginal to a 14k Lab majority. Plenty of disgruntled remain Cons voters voting Lab as told to me on the doorstep. LDs with 3k (33k for Lab, 19k for Cons [a Boris leaver]).

Rupa Huq, the Lab MP has recently been involved in an anti-semitism ( https://dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7118151/Labour-MP-Rupa-Huq-accused-anti-Semitism-former-employee.html ).

The numbers are big but after a 2017 10k vote switch between the main parties I would have thought that the seat automatically becomes a LibDem target.

Today's Yougov crossbreaks - for what they are worth - shows Labour comfortably ahead in London again.
    In which case, they are fucked everywhere else.....
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

Con GAIN United Kingdom
    You don't believe in the United Kingdom
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,030

Brom said:

The attacks on Jo Swinson and the latest speculations about her seat, which she holds with a 10% margin are a clear sign that the two main parties are rattled by both her and the LibDem surge.

Fabulous. She's more than capable of standing up for herself.

LibDems are surging.

The snowflake generation don't like it when their own are critiqued. I think its fair enough that people discuss ability to hold seats on a political betting site, particularly given the volatility in Scotland
    Of course of course but I think it's interesting because people seem to be really waking up to the LibDem surge.

I think Jo Swinson is fabulous. Underestimate this lady at your peril.
    LOL, it is unbelievable on here, week to week it moves from one donkey to the next. Great mutterings of wonder and hopes dashed time after time. Swinson is at best average, she may get a few sympathy votes initially but will not be long till the lying Lib Dems will be propping up the losers table
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,360

Extinction Rebellion, or Greenpeace, chose their moment well in terms of symbolism.

Mainly female protestors linking arms, in thin clothes, holding up all the pomp and motorcade aplomb that a state can bear down for its main occasions.

They are no tank man.
  • Options

Con GAIN United Kingdom
    England more like.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,860
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I resent your implication, because I made pretty clear I support action being taken in respect of climate issues. I think we should be doing a lot more than we are now.

But childish stunts are just childish, and about making people feel better about themselves.

Unless you'd like to supply some reason you think my views are equivalent to being against women having the vote, or being racist and homophobic, up yours you sanctimonious shit.

Indeed, your response in assuming what you think is my attitude toward climate issues demonstrates perfectly why such protests are so childish, since they also pretend if people don't like such action that they don't support tackling these issues and must be awful people. A very childish attitude to take.
    My implication is that simply that if we listened to pearl-clutchers such as yourself we would never make social progress.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,005

Con GAIN United Kingdom
    Eire gain Northern Ireland
    Europe gain Independent Scotland
    Boris gains what remains of the UK..
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Don't tell us. Tell Betfair.
  • Options

Con GAIN United Kingdom
    I believe in it in the same way as I believe in AGW ... I believe both exist even though I wish in an ideal future world they won't anymore.
  • Options

Con GAIN United Kingdom
    At best, a deeply disunited kingdom.

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited July 2019
    TOPPING said:

Extinction Rebellion, or Greenpeace, chose their moment well in terms of symbolism.

Mainly female protestors linking arms, in thin clothes, holding up all the pomp and motorcade aplomb that a state can bear down for its main occasions.

They are no tank man.
    The outriders ? Indeed, the British like their state occasions more understated. In this case, the motorcade and journey to the palace are equivalent to the much more extravagant pomp of other nations at similar moments.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Brom said:

The attacks on Jo Swinson and the latest speculations about her seat, which she holds with a 10% margin are a clear sign that the two main parties are rattled by both her and the LibDem surge.

LibDems are surging.

The snowflake generation don't like it when their own are critiqued. I think its fair enough that people discuss ability to hold seats on a political betting site, particularly given the volatility in Scotland
    Of course of course but I think it's interesting because people seem to be really waking up to the LibDem surge.

LOL, it is unbelievable on here, week to week it moves from one donkey to the next. Great mutterings of wonder and hopes dashed time after time. Swinson is at best average, she may get a few sympathy votes initially but will not be long till the lying Lib Dems will be propping up the losers table
    Well I think your extreme antipathy is because you're sexist. And, besides, comments like 'the lying Lib Dems' and 'propping up the losers table' are more suited to the comments section of Guido Fawkes.

If you'd like to explain why Jo Swinson isn't so great in your eyes, apart from the fact that she's a woman, kindly do.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    When will we get the first Scottish independence poll? Boris might have a better chance of staying PM if Scotland gain independence.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

I'm not sure it's childish but I don't massively like it. It's a potential short step from that to something violent. The security seemed to be pretty slack.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

My implication is that simply that if we listened to pearl-clutchers such as yourself we would never make social progress.
    Yes, nothing ever happens unless a bunch of people grab some attention with a self promoting stunt.

How on earth did we ever get anything done before?

Your premise is clearly false as as many things have progressed positively without someone dressing up like a chicken, or lying down in the road pretending to be dead, or throwing a condom full of powder, or whatever.

You seriously think we never make social progress without people making self promiting stunts? Words fail me. There's a big difference between getting a satisfying feeling over some political stunt and the kind of difficult protests and years of graft others have worked on.

And if you didn't mean to imply thinking these protestors are idiots was akin to being racist or homophobic, perhaps you shouldn't equate them in the first place.

Pleasant evening.
  • Options

Don't tell us. Tell Betfair.
    Ah, you have. Betfair has settled on Boris as PM after Theresa May.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    So did those 20 Tory MPs who were going to prevent Boris from becoming PM oversleep?
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited July 2019
    She looks a little taken aback, but also fascinated, by the whole business.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

The thing is surely this. Labour aren't going to get any better under Corbyn, are they? They will continue to roll along the bottom.

So in many ways, the LibDems are unlikely now to slip back.

It's all down to Boris. If, as most of us on here think, Boris bombs then the beneficiaries of that will be the LibDems and BXP. If Boris pulls off the unexpected then the BXP will tank but I don't think the LibDems would.

So, regardless of the fact that I'm a LibDem member there are very sound reasons for backing the LibDems to do well.

As a Remain voting Tory one of (many) things putting me off voting Lib Dem is the malign presence of JC.
    Much as Boris wouldn't be my choice of PM he's still infinitely preferable to Corbyn. It's a real concern that a vote for the Libs could help Labour somehow.

Assuming that Lab voters feel the same way re Boris it has to depress the Lib Dem vote.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,332
    Ireland equal England’s score with 8 wickets in hand. Really hard to see them losing from here.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Will Carrie be allowed to meet HMQ when she and Boris stop living over the brush and get hitched? :D
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

So did those 20 Tory MPs who were going to prevent Boris from becoming PM oversleep?

No, they won the vote to rule out prorogation and thus don't need to exercise the nuclear option now.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Yes, nothing ever happens unless a bunch of people grab some attention with a self promoting stunt.

How on earth did we ever get anything done before?

Your premise is clearly false as as many things have progressed positively without someone dressing up like a chicken, or lying down in the road pretending to be dead, or throwing a condom full of powder, or whatever?

You seriously think we never make social progress without people making self promiting stunts? Words fail me.

And if you didn't mean to imply thinking these protestors are idiots was akin to being racist or homophobic, perhaps you shouldn't equate them in the first place.

Pleasant evening.
    What's the distinction between "a self-promoting stunt" and the kind of direct action that was a vital part of women's suffrage, civil rights, etc.? You sound exactly like one of MLK's white moderates.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    We now have a Prime Minister and five living former PM's for the first time since May 1995 when Wilson died.

Should Boris's tenure be a short one and none of the present former PM's die it will be the first time in UK political history that we will have an incumbent and six former living PM's.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Will Carrie be allowed to meet HMQ and she and Boris stop living over the brush and get hitched? :D

He's not divorced yet
  • Options

No, they won the vote to rule out prorogation and thus don't need to exercise the nuclear option now.
    How do they prevent no deal, if that's what Boris chooses?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Will Carrie be allowed to meet HMQ and she and Boris stop living over the brush and get hitched? :D

He's not divorced yet
    Sinners! :D
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,235
    midwinter said:

The thing is surely this. Labour aren't going to get any better under Corbyn, are they? They will continue to roll along the bottom.

It's all down to Boris. If, as most of us on here think, Boris bombs then the beneficiaries of that will be the LibDems and BXP. If Boris pulls off the unexpected then the BXP will tank but I don't think the LibDems would.

So, regardless of the fact that I'm a LibDem member there are very sound reasons for backing the LibDems to do well.

As a Remain voting Tory one of (many) things putting me off voting Lib Dem is the malign presence of JC.
    Much as Boris wouldn't be my choice of PM he's still infinitely preferable to Corbyn. It's a real concern that a vote for the Libs could help Labour somehow.

Assuming that Lab voters feel the same way re Boris it has to depress the Lib Dem vote.
    If Corbyn really is your problem, I should point out that Jo Swinson has already said that she would not work with Labour Party if they wanted him to be PM. As for Boris... I don't think that is likely to be a long term issue.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

How do they prevent no deal, if that's what Boris chooses?

Using a wheeze roughly similar to the Cooper-Boles Bill and taking back control. With the help of a sympathetic Speaker and with a large majority in both Houses they can make the rules up.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,360
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    kle4 said:
    The tactics could be better, but the subject is the most important ever.
  • Options

Using a wheeze roughly similar to the Cooper-Boles Bill and taking back control. With the help of a sympathetic Speaker and with a large majority in both Houses they can make the rules up.

Okay, so let's say they pass a bill insisting Boris goes back and negotiates an extension. He doesn't. What then? (Not rhetorical by the way, I really don't know).
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983

kle4 said:
    We’re already committed to zero emissions. What more do they want?
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    ‪Boris Johnson’s entire political future now rests entirely on the whims of one man - Nigel Farage. Please him and Johnson’s home dry. Fail to do so and it’s curtains.‬
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Boris's next task will be to take a look at the nuclear codes.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006

kle4 said:
    But there is no Climate Emergency, Climate Breakdown, crisis or any other doomsday cult rubbish.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Okay, so let's say they pass a bill insisting Boris goes back and negotiates an extension. He doesn't. What then? (Not rhetorical by the way, I really don't know).
    My suggestion would be that they appoint someone else (Larry the Cat is the example I've used in the past, as he's a safe pair of paws and acceptable to all sides) to be Her Majesty's High Representative for Article 50 Extension, and pass an Act of Parliament to give this person the necessary powers.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,991
    Good afternoon, everyone.

F1: low odds but tempting. At least 1 Williams to be classified 18th or higher in the race.

That requires them to finish (they've done so at every race) and one DNF elsewhere (22 total so far in 10 races).

However, thunderstorms are possible during the race. If not for that, this'd look very good, but in slippery conditions, perhaps not.
  • Options

She looks a little taken aback, but also fascinated, by the whole business.
    Yes, it seems to say 'I haven't met a specimen quite like you before'.
  • Options
    Boris has a lecturn with a crest... He's made it! :D
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,359
    The problem for Labour with polls like this isn't that they're necessarily falling behind the Lib Dems, we all know margin of error, polling average, etc...it's that they take away the sense of two horse race inevitability that Labour is relying on to push the large group of people who hold a dismal view of Corbyn and the party under him but also loathe Boris and Brexit, back into their camp.

It was quite easy in 2017 to argue that whatever your misgivings about Jeremy and his acolytes, good sense dictated you should vote Labour to avoid giving Tory Brexiteers carte blanche. That makes much less sense now we've had two more years of his contemptible misrule anyway, but even less if there's a reasonable chance of getting something closer to what you actually want.

If the Lib Dems continue on an upward trend with YouGov and start being level/ahead with other polling companies things could get very, very, messy for Labour very fast.
  • Options
    Boris - 20,000 new police officers starting from today
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,308
    He is making May’s acceptance speech look good with this back of th envelope effort.
  • Options

kle4 said:
    It was only the tactics I was criticising. And yet criticising that tactic drew immediate criticism assuming the subject was criticised. WHich again, shows how childish those pursuing the tactic are.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Brom said:

LibDems are surging.

Well I think your extreme antipathy is because you're sexist. And, besides, comments like 'the lying Lib Dems' and 'propping up the losers table' are more suited to the comments section of Guido Fawkes.

If you'd like to explain why Jo Swinson isn't so great in your eyes, apart from the fact that she's a woman, kindly do.
    That's not fair. Malcolmg may be scathing with female politicians like Swinson, May and Ruth Davidson but he is equally scathing of male ones too. Gender is not an issue. If he only attacked one genders politicians that would be sexist but Malcolm is an equal opportunities critic. Quite right too!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Letters of last resort?
  • Options

kle4 said:

Lol. How very millennial.
  • Options
    No waffle - he's going for it!
  • Options
    edited July 2019

‪Boris Johnson’s entire political future now rests entirely on the whims of one man - Nigel Farage. Please him and Johnson’s home dry. Fail to do so and it’s curtains.‬

Seems reasonable. If Farage is pleased most of the spartans, who are essentially BXP MPs, will come on board.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:
    Everyone to be living by candle light by 2025? ;)
  • Options
    notme2 said:

kle4 said:
    But there is no Climate Emergency, Climate Breakdown, crisis or any other doomsday cult rubbish.
    Those who deny the evidence are the doomsday cultists.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:
    Zero productivity
  • Options

dixiedean said:

We might see the Lib Dems leading in the polls if they have a bounce after winning the by-election. I wonder if a few Tory MPs might suspect that they were worried about the wrong threat when they panicked about the Brexit Party?

From recent statements they aren't worried about LDs or TBP. It is all about beating Corbyn. Would be ironic if Bozza pulled that off, only to find he finished third.
    If they can beat Corbyn, then Swinson could be PM. It’s not so far fetched.
    My suspicion is that even a stellar LD vote total, in excess of Lab, will leave them well short in seats. Any deal with Lab would almost certainly see a Lab PM in that circumstance (although I'm not convinced it would be Corbyn unless he was very close to a majority).

For Swinson to be PM, I'd imagine she needs to lead the largest party in a coalition. I don't see the maths of LD/SNP/PC/Green having a majority.. so she'd have to win more seats than Lab.
    If Swinson becomes LOTO then its not unfeasible that she retains the leadership and wins the General Election after next.
    Dream Dream Dream, bring on the Unicorns.
  • Options
    I hope no one puts too much effort analysing PM opening speeches - anyone can talk about what they hope to do and how they want to fix things and unite people after all. I hope Boris has a quick win to given himself momentum to get things done.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,308
    edited July 2019
    Sounds to me like HMQ just gave him a half hour lecture on keeping the UK together
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Brom said:

LibDems are surging.

That's not fair. Malcolmg may be scathing with female politicians like Swinson, May and Ruth Davidson but he is equally scathing of male ones too. Gender is not an issue. If he only attacked one genders politicians that would be sexist but Malcolm is an equal opportunities critic. Quite right too!
    Taking a wild swing, Jo Swinson is a Scot who does not belong to the SNP.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:
    Everyone to be living by candle light by 2025? ;)
    Have you seen the smoke coming off those things? :o
  • Options

Not while there are dogs in the street
  • Options
    It seems like yesterday that Tony Blair was walking down Downing Street in 1997.
  • Options

RobD said:

kle4 said:
    Zero productivity
    ... or possibly some action before it's too late?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969

My suggestion would be that they appoint someone else (Larry the Cat is the example I've used in the past, as he's a safe pair of paws and acceptable to all sides) to be Her Majesty's High Representative for Article 50 Extension, and pass an Act of Parliament to give this person the necessary powers.
    As I said the other day, you are quite forward with your attacks on changes to the constitution when you do not agree with them but quite happy to see our constitutional arrangements thrown out simply because you agree with the aims.

I think the Royal Prerogative powers should be done away with wholesale. But that should be done by means of proper debate and primary legislation, not back of a fag packet stuff just to meet your own agenda.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Ah well Boris clearly thinks this is all going to be a piece of piss.
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    He’s lost the plot.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    BJ wasting no time in getting the word "lubrication" into his speech.

https://twitter.com/ladyhaja/status/1154043427090120706
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    Cicero said:

midwinter said:

If Corbyn really is your problem, I should point out that Jo Swinson has already said that she would not work with Labour Party if they wanted him to be PM. As for Boris... I don't think that is likely to be a long term issue.
    My point was that many natural Tory and Labour voters are so appalled at the prospect of the current leaders of the opposing party being in power that it's likely to depress the Lib Dem vote as they cling to nurse.
    They really need either Labour or Con to struggle not both.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

notme2 said:

kle4 said:
    I am very aware of the evidence. I have thoroughly read over the IPCC report both the policy makers report and the technical report. The words emergency, crisis or breakdown are not present anywhere.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,713
    I'm about sixty seconds behind on iPlayer, but there is a lot of waffle though he seems determined to leave by 31st October 2019.

I think someone might be leaving. Might be beating George Canning's record...... at least he'll go down in history books.
  • Options
    Definitely not bringing the 'anti democratic backstop' back for a new vote on the WA. Even though he voted for that anti democratic backstop.

It's definitely a GE - not bringing the WA back, very difficult to get a new deal, no deal still hated by parliament.
  • Options
    Good speech by Boris.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,723

Boris - 20,000 new police officers starting from today

That will be handy for putting down the civil disturbances...
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    AndyJS said:

Isn't one of the first jobs to hand write a letter to the commanders of the Nuclear subs instructing them what to do in the event of the political establishment being nuked?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

As I said the other day, you are quite forward with your attacks on changes to the constitution when you do not agree with them but quite happy to see our constitutional arrangements thrown out simply because you agree with the aims.

I think the Royal Prerogative powers should be done away with wholesale. But that should be done by means of proper debate and primary legislation, not back of a fag packet stuff just to meet your own agenda.
    One of those approaches is eminently sensible and the other is traditional British practice. You can't blame a Conservative for wanting to stick to familiar British customs.
  • Options
    notme2 said:

Nigelb said:

notme2 said:

kle4 said:
    I am very aware of the evidence. I have thoroughly read over the IPCC report both the policy makers report and the technical report. The words emergency, crisis or breakdown are not present anywhere.
    Oh that's alright then.
  • Options
    WTF does battery technology have to do with Brexit?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    midwinter said:

Yes I think this is true. Spoke to my tory mum yesterday who voted LD for first time ever in euros, her reaction to Boris was "could be worse, could be Corbyn". Likewise I'm a LD member but will be voting Labour because I have to vote one of the big two in my semi marginal seat, and I would rather take my chances with Corbyn than Boris.

So while I think Lib Dems will do very well in seats where they have a chance, I can't see them or BXP maintaining such high numbers come election day.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Isn't one of the first jobs to hand write a letter to the commanders of the Nuclear subs instructing them what to do in the event of the political establishment being nuked?
    That's what I read the other day, yes. Didn't know it before.
  • Options

Good speech by Boris.

If he follows through
  • Options
    edited July 2019

I'm merely saying what I think they will try, and pointing out that there are potentially options other than a VONC (which isn't guaranteed to work anyway). It's not a course I'm advocating; I advocate ratifying the Withdrawal Agreement.

Still I find your suggestion that parliament isn't sovereign over the Executive rather puzzling.
  • Options
    Three wasted years with May in Downing Street. Boris has very small shoes to fill but fill them he will I think.
  • Options
    Streeter said:

WTF does battery technology have to do with Brexit?

Dyson is a Leave supporter and is working on battery technology.
  • Options

Good speech by Boris.

Let's be frank. If he stood in front of Downing Street and spoke in Esperanto about the wonders of tourism to Chernobyl you'd think it was a good speech.

Huge boos are the main thing I'm taking from it
  • Options

Good speech by Boris.

It’s utter tosh.
This discussion has been closed.