Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The first post leadership elections’ poll has Swinton’s party

Comments

• Options
    From Eeyore to Tigger!

A good speech but maybe a little bit long.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,308

Three wasted years with May in Downing Street. Boris has very small shoes to fill but fill them he will I think.

With his clumsy fat bullet-riddled feet he won’t be able to get them on.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Boris's speech only about 10 minutes too long for the main news reports.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006

RobD said:

kle4 said:
    The tactics could be better, but the subject is the most important ever.
    We’re already committed to zero emissions. What more do they want?
    Zero productivity
    ... or possibly some action before it's too late?
    At what point do you think it will be too late?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Good speech by Boris.

If he follows through
    Absolutely 100% agreed. That is the job now.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    The Brexit loons own it all now. Every single bit of it. Whatever happens from here on in is down to them.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,856

Good speech by Boris.

Let's be frank. If he stood in front of Downing Street and spoke in Esperanto about the wonders of tourism to Chernobyl you'd think it was a good speech.

Huge boos are the main thing I'm taking from it
    Isn't that also basically a tradition now? People gather nearby to boo, I don't think that speaks much to anything.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    malcolmg said:

The thing is surely this. Labour aren't going to get any better under Corbyn, are they? They will continue to roll along the bottom.

So in many ways, the LibDems are unlikely now to slip back.

It's all down to Boris. If, as most of us on here think, Boris bombs then the beneficiaries of that will be the LibDems and BXP. If Boris pulls off the unexpected then the BXP will tank but I don't think the LibDems would.

So, regardless of the fact that I'm a LibDem member there are very sound reasons for backing the LibDems to do well.

Not while there are dogs in the street
    Are you incapable of raising your level?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,983
    Streeter said:

WTF does battery technology have to do with Brexit?

Isn't one of the complaints that Brexit is distracting government from everything else?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,030

I wish the LDs the best but I am a skeptic that they have the killer instinct and message discipline to manage the media grid.

Where is their Alistair Campbell / Peter Mandelson?

They will remain as 3rd raters, it is a cushy number for those that cannot get in the Tory trough.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I'm feeling more optimistic already.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969

RobD said:

kle4 said:
    Zero productivity
    Year 1. Re-education camps, enforced veganism, a green dictatorship with capital punishment for anyone who disagrees. They should do a deal with Priti Patel. She likes capital punishment and I am not sure she is much concerned whose head is in the noose.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    Streeter said:

Not Brexit but the future of our car industry. Without it, you might as well say goodbye to the electric Automotive industry. Even Germany is well behind China, S Korea , Taiwan and Japan.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,334
    Streeter said:

Good speech by Boris.

It’s utter tosh.
    20,000 police starting today is tosh, if so labour have been talking tosh for years
  • Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    RobD said:

Streeter said:

Isn't one of the complaints that Brexit is distracting government from everything else?
    And?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    JackW said:

Boris's speech only about 10 minutes too long for the main news reports.

Can see them stealing the "backstop? Buck stops" line for the bulletins.
  • Options
    notme2 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:
    Zero productivity
    ... or possibly some action before it's too late?
    At what point do you think it will be too late?
    When it starts to get cold again.
  • Options
    Streeter said:

Good speech by Boris.

It’s utter tosh.
    He’s a stand up comedian, not an orator.
  • Options

The Brexit loons own it all now. Every single bit of it. Whatever happens from here on in is down to them.

If only a compromise could have been presented to parliament and voted on. Oops that opportunity has gone.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,482
    Congratulations Boris. Looking forward to seeing his cabinet picks.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,829

Three wasted years with May in Downing Street. Boris has very small shoes to fill but fill them he will I think.

Everyone thinks he'll be one of the shortest PM's in history but I have a feeling the he's here for quite a long time...
  • Options
    RobD said:

Streeter said:

Not really. People say it, but ultimately sorting Brexit out one way or another will have a huge impact upon pretty much everything else. So it is expected and not unreasonable to hear what else he wants to do or other areas, but it is pretty meaningless until we see if he can deliver on the main part of his offer.
  • Options
    Streeter said:

RobD said:

Streeter said:

And?
    I'm not sure what the complaint is then. Not everything has to be about Brexit.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,713

Good speech by Boris.

No it wasn't. I think he's gone off the deep end.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    kle4 said:

Streeter said:

Dyson is a Leave supporter and is working on battery technology.
    He makes fans too but that’s also irrelevant.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Streeter said:

Good speech by Boris.

It’s utter tosh.
    20,000 police starting today is tosh, if so labour have been talking tosh for years
    He's going to have to recruit them jolly fast if they are to make today's night shift.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Ambitious and visionary speech by the PM. The optimism should be infectious.
  • Options

RobD said:

kle4 said:
    Zero productivity
    Year 1. Re-education camps, enforced veganism, a green dictatorship with capital punishment for anyone who disagrees. They should do a deal with Priti Patel. She likes capital punishment and I am not sure she is much concerned whose head is in the noose.
    We have green councillors wanting to draw up a local Climate Jury.
  • Options
    Congratulations Boris Johnson on becoming the UK Prime Minister.

We applaud your ambitions to honour the result of the 2016 referendum.

We hope Amber Rudd can remain doing her excellent work at the DWP.

We are glad that you are pro the UK union and hope you continue to fight the scourge of national-separatism.

And most of all we wish you well.

Mr and Ms Brisk
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Everyone thinks he'll be one of the shortest PM's in history but I have a feeling the he's here for quite a long time...
    I agree.
  • Options

As I said the other day, you are quite forward with your attacks on changes to the constitution when you do not agree with them but quite happy to see our constitutional arrangements thrown out simply because you agree with the aims.

I think the Royal Prerogative powers should be done away with wholesale. But that should be done by means of proper debate and primary legislation, not back of a fag packet stuff just to meet your own agenda.

I'm merely saying what I think they will try, and pointing out that there are potentially options other than a VONC (which isn't guaranteed to work anyway). It's not a course I'm advocating; I advocate ratifying the Withdrawal Agreement.

Still I find your suggestion that parliament isn't sovereign over the Executive rather puzzling.
    Apologies. You seemed pretty strident the other day in your belief that Parliament should be allowed to ignore the current law and just make stuff up without primary legislation.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,989
    Mr. Observer, the ridiculous Boris becoming PM doesn't erase the last three years of May's incompetence and MPs, mostly pro-EU, opposing a deal and then complaining we might leave without a deal.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Streeter said:

Good speech by Boris.

It’s utter tosh.
    He's shit isn't he? I mean really really shit.

He can give good one-liners but as an orator he's goddam awful.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Streeter said:

kle4 said:

Streeter said:

Dyson is a Leave supporter and is working on battery technology.
    He makes fans too but that’s also irrelevant.
    Oh I didnt say it was not irrelevant, but you asked what it had to do with Brexit, so I sought such connections as existed. I thought it w as aword association game.

Mr. Observer, the ridiculous Boris becoming PM doesn't erase the last three years of May's incompetence and MPs, mostly pro-EU, opposing a deal and then complaining we might leave without a deal.

Indeed so. Though the latest phase is always going to be more pressing, and that is about him and his promises. His very difficult, possibly even contradictory promises.

I wonder what's the earliest we can reasonably consider he has been given a chance to see if he can square that circle and whether he has succeeded. I wish the clown well.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Streeter said:

Good speech by Boris.

It’s utter tosh.
    LOL. From Tigger back to Eeyore.....
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    #TeamBoris

I'm a happy soul and don't take life very seriously. Perhaps that's why I see virtue in Boris.

He might well fail but at least it won't be the miserable, paranoid, incurious and dreary failure of a May or a Brown.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Streeter said:

RobD said:

Streeter said:

And?
    The point he was making is that we will succeed with Brexit because we make fancy batteries. If you think that’s logical I feel sorry for you.
  • Options

Good speech by Boris.

No it wasn't. I think he's gone off the deep end.

Completely.
  • Options
    He really does believe he's Churchill. He's started imitating Churchill's intonations and pauses.
  • Options

The Prime Minister has told us he will get a new deal. But if it comes to No Deal, he has told us, that will be fine as well. It is now time for him to deliver. He will be responsible for all that happens from now on - as he himself has said.

• Options

As I said the other day, you are quite forward with your attacks on changes to the constitution when you do not agree with them but quite happy to see our constitutional arrangements thrown out simply because you agree with the aims.

I think the Royal Prerogative powers should be done away with wholesale. But that should be done by means of proper debate and primary legislation, not back of a fag packet stuff just to meet your own agenda.

I'm merely saying what I think they will try, and pointing out that there are potentially options other than a VONC (which isn't guaranteed to work anyway). It's not a course I'm advocating; I advocate ratifying the Withdrawal Agreement.

Still I find your suggestion that parliament isn't sovereign over the Executive rather puzzling.
    Apologies. You seemed pretty strident the other day in your belief that Parliament should be allowed to ignore the current law and just make stuff up without primary legislation.
    I assume it would require primary legislation, unless there's some other obscure route. As we've seen, that is possible, if the Speaker is helpful, which I think he would be.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

midwinter said:

The thing is surely this. Labour aren't going to get any better under Corbyn, are they? They will continue to roll along the bottom.

So in many ways, the LibDems are unlikely now to slip back.

It's all down to Boris. If, as most of us on here think, Boris bombs then the beneficiaries of that will be the LibDems and BXP. If Boris pulls off the unexpected then the BXP will tank but I don't think the LibDems would.

So, regardless of the fact that I'm a LibDem member there are very sound reasons for backing the LibDems to do well.

As a Remain voting Tory one of (many) things putting me off voting Lib Dem is the malign presence of JC.
    Much as Boris wouldn't be my choice of PM he's still infinitely preferable to Corbyn. It's a real concern that a vote for the Libs could help Labour somehow.

Assuming that Lab voters feel the same way re Boris it has to depress the Lib Dem vote.
    Yes I think this is true. Spoke to my tory mum yesterday who voted LD for first time ever in euros, her reaction to Boris was "could be worse, could be Corbyn". Likewise I'm a LD member but will be voting Labour because I have to vote one of the big two in my semi marginal seat, and I would rather take my chances with Corbyn than Boris.

So while I think Lib Dems will do very well in seats where they have a chance, I can't see them or BXP maintaining such high numbers come election day.
    I think they will do better in the Tory marginals principally because Conservatives seem less likely to vote tactically. Which isn't great news for Boris and is probably making Dave and George wonder why they bothered.
  • Options
    Streeter said:

RobD said:

Streeter said:

RobD said:

Streeter said:

And?
    The point he was making is that we will succeed with Brexit because we make fancy batteries. If you think that’s logical I feel sorry for you.
    Wasn't the general point the technological innovations are key for economic development and growth? I don't think that is in dispute.
  • Options
    Total drivel.

Awful nonsense of incoherent rantings. He comes across sometimes as really quite deranged.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Brom said:

The attacks on Jo Swinson and the latest speculations about her seat, which she holds with a 10% margin are a clear sign that the two main parties are rattled by both her and the LibDem surge.

Fabulous. She's more than capable of standing up for herself.

LibDems are surging.

The snowflake generation don't like it when their own are critiqued. I think its fair enough that people discuss ability to hold seats on a political betting site, particularly given the volatility in Scotland
    Of course of course but I think it's interesting because people seem to be really waking up to the LibDem surge.

I think Jo Swinson is fabulous. Underestimate this lady at your peril.
    LOL, it is unbelievable on here, week to week it moves from one donkey to the next. Great mutterings of wonder and hopes dashed time after time. Swinson is at best average, she may get a few sympathy votes initially but will not be long till the lying Lib Dems will be propping up the losers table
    Well I think your extreme antipathy is because you're sexist. And, besides, comments like 'the lying Lib Dems' and 'propping up the losers table' are more suited to the comments section of Guido Fawkes.

If you'd like to explain why Jo Swinson isn't so great in your eyes, apart from the fact that she's a woman, kindly do.
    For a start , her voting record is appalling, nothing liberal or democratic about it. Voted for every nasty Tory policy , every warmongering policy and then the moron has the effrontery to state that she will never allow Scotland a referendum because she is a thick unionist twunk scared they will lose next vote. So as bad , nasty and evil as your worst Tory with no understanding of democracy. In general a real nasty hypocritical piece of work.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    It'll be interesting to see what he does about Iran hijacking our boats.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

#TeamBoris

I'm a happy soul and don't take life very seriously. Perhaps that's why I see virtue in Boris.

He might well fail but at least it won't be the miserable, paranoid, incurious and dreary failure of a May or a Brown.

Amusing failure being just what we need right now.
  • Options
    The UK should be outward looking, he says.

He says no one has succeeded in betting against Britain.

Err, has he not heard of George Soros?
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Should England really be favourites to win this test match!?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The nutjobs will have loved it. Not a speech to convert the doubters.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Good speech by Boris.

Let's be frank. If he stood in front of Downing Street and spoke in Esperanto about the wonders of tourism to Chernobyl you'd think it was a good speech.

If he spoke as a modern day hybrid of the best of Churchill, Martin Luther King and Abraham Lincoln you'd be denouncing it.

I'm not a hyperpartisan. I traditionally support the Tories but I opposed May before she became PM and was sad to be proven right that she was going to be an unmitigated disaster. I also opposed IDS and didn't particularly like Howard or Hague either.

The only Tory leader I've actually liked in my adult lifetime before now was Cameron.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Streeter said:

RobD said:

Streeter said:

RobD said:

Streeter said:

And?
    Wasn't the general point the technological innovations are key for economic development and growth? I don't think that is in dispute.
    And also the only solution to going carbon neutral, if you think that is important. (IPCC)
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Boris's next task will be to take a look at the nuclear codes.

Isn't one of the first jobs to hand write a letter to the commanders of the Nuclear subs instructing them what to do in the event of the political establishment being nuked?
    Meanwhile they are unable to stop a speedboat stealing a British tanker, you could not make it up.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,989
    Anyway, I'm off before I melt.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    New PMs formerly said very little when arriving in Downing Street - indeed Macmillan said nothing at all whilst Douglas-Home and Wilson said but a few words. They did, however, broadcast to the nation later in the evening. That was the better approach in my view.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Brom said:

The attacks on Jo Swinson and the latest speculations about her seat, which she holds with a 10% margin are a clear sign that the two main parties are rattled by both her and the LibDem surge.

LibDems are surging.

The snowflake generation don't like it when their own are critiqued. I think its fair enough that people discuss ability to hold seats on a political betting site, particularly given the volatility in Scotland
    Of course of course but I think it's interesting because people seem to be really waking up to the LibDem surge.

LOL, it is unbelievable on here, week to week it moves from one donkey to the next. Great mutterings of wonder and hopes dashed time after time. Swinson is at best average, she may get a few sympathy votes initially but will not be long till the lying Lib Dems will be propping up the losers table
    Well I think your extreme antipathy is because you're sexist. And, besides, comments like 'the lying Lib Dems' and 'propping up the losers table' are more suited to the comments section of Guido Fawkes.

If you'd like to explain why Jo Swinson isn't so great in your eyes, apart from the fact that she's a woman, kindly do.
    [Swinson] has the effrontery to state that she will never allow Scotland a referendum because she is a thick unionist twunk scared they will lose next vote.
    She said that?! My word, that was unwisely blunt and self critical of her! :)
  • Options
    edited July 2019

IanB2 said:

Streeter said:

Good speech by Boris.

It’s utter tosh.

True, but thankfully being an orator isn’t so important nowadays - although the skill to marshal and distil an argument down to a few carefully chosen words is useful in other contexts.

I am more worried by his laziness, offensiveness, carelessness and lack of moral compass.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Streeter said:

RobD said:

Streeter said:

RobD said:

Streeter said:

And?
    And our prowess in technology overcomes the tariff and non-tariff barriers created by a no deal Brexit how exactly?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

AndyJS said:

Isn't one of the first jobs to hand write a letter to the commanders of the Nuclear subs instructing them what to do in the event of the political establishment being nuked?
    Meanwhile they are unable to stop a speedboat stealing a British tanker, you could not make it up.
    Small problems can sometimes be harder to solve than big problems.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,709
    notme2 said:

Nigelb said:

notme2 said:

kle4 said:
    But there is no Climate Emergency, Climate Breakdown, crisis or any other doomsday cult rubbish.
    Those who deny the evidence are the doomsday cultists.
    I am very aware of the evidence. I have thoroughly read over the IPCC report both the policy makers report and the technical report. The words emergency, crisis or breakdown are not present anywhere.
    If all the world's major economies were planning a transition to 100% renewable power, starting right now, you'd be right.

They are not, which is injecting a certain urgency into matters.
  • Options

As it should have been 3 years ago. Own it, nowhere to hide.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,360
    edited July 2019
    Shockingly incoherent, contradictory, rambling, and disingenuous but...but...he is right that the country voted to leave the EU and we haven't left and that needs to be addressed.

That it will come at a huge price for the people who voted leave or remain is sadly not something that can be helped.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Brom said:

LibDems are surging.

For a start , her voting record is appalling, nothing liberal or democratic about it. Voted for every nasty Tory policy , every warmongering policy and then the moron has the effrontery to state that she will never allow Scotland a referendum because she is a thick unionist twunk scared they will lose next vote. So as bad , nasty and evil as your worst Tory with no understanding of democracy. In general a real nasty hypocritical piece of work.
    Strip out your personal attacks and basically you are left with the fact there that you don't like her because she has the audacity to be a female Scottish LibDem and you are a Scottish nationalist. Of course she has voted for a number of centrist policies and often in a pragmatic way.

Unlike you I'm not that swivel-eyed. I can see good in some SNP MPs and MSPs and in policies.

Park your partisan hatred. It's typified too many of your nation and too many in your party for far too long.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,311

He really does believe he's Churchill. He's started imitating Churchill's intonations and pauses.

Yes, I've noticed that for a while. He's even doing the narrowed eyes, head pushed forward and shaggy-faced scowl.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Brom said:

LibDems are surging.

[Swinson] has the effrontery to state that she will never allow Scotland a referendum because she is a thick unionist twunk scared they will lose next vote.
    She said that?! My word, that was unwisely blunt and self critical of her! :)
    :lol: Got to love honesty.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Streeter said:

Good speech by Boris.

It’s utter tosh.

True, but thankfully being an orator isn’t so important nowadays - although the skill to marshal and distil an argument down to a few carefully chosen words is useful in other contexts.

I am more worried by his laziness, offensiveness, carelessness and lack of moral compass.
    Very true
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

AndyJS said:

The problem is that there are hundreds of tankers, and lots of speedboats.

And we don't have very many deployable ships.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    notme2 said:

But there is no Climate Emergency, Climate Breakdown, crisis or any other doomsday cult rubbish.

Says you. As opposed to people with actual qualifications.

Sometime I think we really deserve our annihilation.
  • Options

As it should have been 3 years ago. Own it, nowhere to hide.

Three years ago they chickened out of trying.

• Options
    Streeter said:

RobD said:

Streeter said:

RobD said:

Streeter said:

RobD said:

Streeter said:

And?
    And our prowess in technology overcomes the tariff and non-tariff barriers created by a no deal Brexit how exactly?
    So your proposal in a no deal brexit would be to just give up all R&D for new technologies because no one trades when there are tariffs?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Streeter said:

Good speech by Boris.

It’s utter tosh.

Which is why I presume he made a point of repeatedly saying the work would begin NOW, to dispel the impression that he is the kind of lazy, vain man who would spend his first day in office staring into his mirror trying out new faux-churchillian remarks.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,053
    edited July 2019
    Good strong, positive and optimistic speech from Boris on day 1 of his premiership not just commitment to deliver Brexit on October 31st Deal or No Deal but covering issues from social care to animal welfare and education too
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It'll be interesting to see what he does about Iran hijacking our boats.

If he buys the oil, he'll be off to a flyer. Let's get Hyufd to text him.
  • Options

Yes, I've noticed that for a while. He's even doing the narrowed eyes, head pushed forward and shaggy-faced scowl.
    Serves also as his constipation and/or sex face, I suspect.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Brom said:

LibDems are surging.

That's not fair. Malcolmg may be scathing with female politicians like Swinson, May and Ruth Davidson but he is equally scathing of male ones too. Gender is not an issue. If he only attacked one genders politicians that would be sexist but Malcolm is an equal opportunities critic. Quite right too!
    Taking a wild swing, Jo Swinson is a Scot who does not belong to the SNP.
    Wild indeed, there are plenty duff women in SNP as well as men. It is her voting record and her pathetic statement that she will never allow the people of Scotland to decide whether they want or don't want to be independent. So anti democracy , against the poor , a war monger, what is there to like.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059

Streeter said:

Good speech by Boris.

It’s utter tosh.
    Big talk from the buffoon with basically no majority to do anything radical...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

notme2 said:

Nigelb said:

notme2 said:

kle4 said:
    Those who deny the evidence are the doomsday cultists.
    I am very aware of the evidence. I have thoroughly read over the IPCC report both the policy makers report and the technical report. The words emergency, crisis or breakdown are not present anywhere.
    If all the world's major economies were planning a transition to 100% renewable power, starting right now, you'd be right.

They are not, which is injecting a certain urgency into matters.
    So why don't they protest in the countries that aren't? :p
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    IanB2 said:

Fenster said:

#TeamBoris

Amusing failure being just what we need right now.
    100%!

I'd take amusing failure with a hint of Bertie Woosterism over Corbyn's amusing failure (which would include the rounding up of Jews).
  • Options

It was impressively divisive and merely demonstrated that when he talks of uniting Britain what he actually means is uniting the Conservative party. He may succeed in that by driving all sensible Tories away.

• Options
    RobD said:

Streeter said:

RobD said:

Streeter said:

RobD said:

Streeter said:

RobD said:

Streeter said:

And?
    So your proposal in a no deal brexit would be to just give up all R&D for new technologies because no one trades when there are tariffs?
    I have no proposal whatsoever for a no deal Brexit. It would be a disaster and we should not contemplate it for a nanosecond.
  • Options

It was impressively divisive and merely demonstrated that when he talks of uniting Britain what he actually means is uniting the Conservative party. He may succeed in that by driving all sensible Tories away.

It’s a 25% strategy.
  • Options

LOL.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Streeter said:

Good speech by Boris.

It’s utter tosh.

Which is why I presume he made a point of repeatedly saying the work would begin NOW, to dispel the impression that he is the kind of lazy, vain man who would spend his first day in office staring into his mirror trying out new faux-churchillian remarks.
    Indeed. And given his long record of avoiding any accountability for his mistakes, there was some comfort in his recognising this weakness and committing to take personal responsibility - even if these prove the usual hollow words they can be throw back at him.

MrsT devalued these speeches when she promised to deliver harmony.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,270
    Where can I get a bet on against the 'nerve and pluck' of this country?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

LOL.
    Laugh now. In six months Leavers will be demonising him again.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

Good strong, positive and optimistic speech from Boris on day 1 of his premiership not just commitment to deliver Brexit on October 31st Deal or No Deal but covering issues from social care to animal welfare and education

"Let's care for our animals."

Er, that's it.

Typical Boris. And I'll bet you now that if he unexpectedly sticks around long enough you too will see through this kind of vacuous throwaway remark. He fools people with this sort of rhetoric but eventually they start to see through the magician's sleight of hand.

He's the song and dance man who trips the light fantastic. A political lightweight.
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019

Not as divisive as you and Meeks calling people who disagree with you loons or nutjobs.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Big talk from the buffoon with basically no majority to do anything radical...

And the arithmetic is likely to get worse.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Brom said:

LibDems are surging.

Undue nastiness will damage your own cause. Surely you are capable of learning at least that one little thing from the steady demise of Labour?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    kinabalu said:

Where can I get a bet on against the 'nerve and pluck' of this country?

Buy some dollars or euros?
  • Options
    Anyway, back to my work but at least as mentioned below the Brexiteers now own it.

Which is going to be a source of considerable amusement.
  • Options
    mr-claypolemr-claypole Posts: 217
    a very very good day for the Libdems today.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

#TeamBoris

Have to say he can speak a lot better than ever Brown or May could. They just made you want to throw yourself under a bus, at least you want to listen to him even if you know he is fibbing.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

LOL.
    Long estimate.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

LOL.
    Long estimate.
    Rumblings will start tomorrow, no doubt.
  • Options
    JackW said:

AndyJS said:

According to this report Mrs May will head to Buckingham Palace at 2:30pm. Boris Johnson will arrive there at about 3:30pm.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/conservative-party/boris-johnson/news/105517/explained-how-historic

Who runs the country in between?
    @HYUFD ..... :smiley:
    Yes just got back from my hour running the country and the economy and Union are still intact and we are still heading for Brexit, so I am now quite happy to hand over to Boris
  • Options
  • Options
    Mango said:

notme2 said:

Says you. As opposed to people with actual qualifications.

Sometime I think we really deserve our annihilation.
    Somebody needs to tell the Climate Emergency about Scotland, it seems to have missed us.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,780

Using a wheeze roughly similar to the Cooper-Boles Bill and taking back control. With the help of a sympathetic Speaker and with a large majority in both Houses they can make the rules up.

Okay, so let's say they pass a bill insisting Boris goes back and negotiates an extension. He doesn't. What then? (Not rhetorical by the way, I really don't know).
    My suggestion would be that they appoint someone else (Larry the Cat is the example I've used in the past, as he's a safe pair of paws and acceptable to all sides) to be Her Majesty's High Representative for Article 50 Extension, and pass an Act of Parliament to give this person the necessary powers.

The attorney general advised our previous PM it would be illegal for her not to extend A50 when that was parliaments wishes according to several cabinet ministers. https://www.itv.com/news/2019-03-26/prime-minister-would-break-the-law-if-she-ignores-letwin-result/

I dont believe that advice was ever made public so we do not know how much flexibility there might be for the PM to be awkward. He may have far less room to do as he wishes than people are generally assuming, especially if he wants to stay within our constitutional arrangements.
  • Options

Good speech by Boris.

Maggie Thatcher always got huge boos from the left but win 3 general elections and was the best PM of my lifetime
This discussion has been closed.