Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Blow for BoJo as CON MPs and ministers rebel on a measure that

Comments

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Quite apart from the trolling of the Corbynites, this looks like it secures the Government another vote in any VONC.

https://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/1151880139183050752
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,993

TOPPING said:

In all seriousness I’m going to vote for the Lib Dem candidate to show my support for abolishing the pointless waste of money.

An elected representative allowing you to vote for the direction that policing takes in your area.

That is an important vote.
    That’s not what it is though is it? It’s just a cushy job for Labour to reward someone with.
    Tbf, Vera Baird, as a former Solicitor-General was actually well qualified for the role. Noticeably, she has realised she was actually over-qualiffied, and thus buggered off to a better job.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,248
    Nigelb said:

Of course you could - Boris has extended form over decades in making up EU regulatory stories.
    The problem is that constantly winging it and trying to bullshit your way through things may work if you're a journalist, but as PM, the voters are going to get tired of the joke pretty quick. Battling against a lost majority sometime over the course of next year, Johnson will drop the ball, and the clang it makes will finish the Tory party as an electable force.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Interesting to see Tories who were never seen as part of the awkward squad voting against the government .

Keith Simpson never figured in anyone’s calculations . He’s never rebelled before in 22 years.

The genuine Conservatives are finally losing it with the nutters I guess
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,826
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Meanwhile I am shortly off to vote. For Northumbria PCC. A fine selection. A Tory who has his finger on the pulse of crime and policing in the NE from his home in Lincolnshire. A LD who thinks we should abolish the post altogether. A Labour councillor with no experience of the subject, or a complete cocoa pop of an independent who has plenty of history with the law...mostly of being warned about her behaviour.
    Who to choose?

The labour candidate is pretty fit like.
    Link please, so I'm better informed on this critical election.
    Labour a clear winner:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-48744563

I am not ashamed of finding women attractive, in, hopefully, a nice way.

I prefer the Facebook link, there's a little 1980s pop video wind machine in hair going on on that BBC pic (mind yo,u Northumbria / policing, I suppose, she could just be doing an unsuccessful Vera impersonation)

I'm.definitely developing a bit of a thing for Gillian Keegan, formidable the couple of times I've seen her on TV: a thinking man's Karen Brady. She's definitely welcome with Scott, TSE, Southam, Ali McGovern etc etc etc etc in our broad church centre party entryist takeover come the fateful day.

And with that nonsense, I depart.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,044
    Pulpstar said:

DNC debates are going to be seeded

No hopers: The first draw includes 10 candidates: Michael Bennet, Steve Bullock, Bill de Blasio, John Delaney, Tulsi Gabbard, Kirsten Gillibrand, John Hickenlooper, Jay Inslee, Tim Ryan and Marianne Williamson.

Very little to half a chancers: The second draw includes six candidates: Cory Booker, Pete Buttigieg, Julián Castro, Amy Klobuchar, Beto O’Rourke and Andrew Yang.

Big four : The final draw includes four candidates: Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren.

I note if we use @rsc1000 favoured metric of Iowa/New Hampshire then BOOTEDGEDGE is moving toward being a top tier rather than a 2nd tier candidate. Because "even" numbers are required though he can't be placed with the top 4 - in reality he's somewhere between the big four and the rest of his seeding pool.

I think there's really four and a half candidates in this, with Buttigieg being the half. (He gets a half on the back of 1. leading in Iowa on the latest poll, and 2. topping the Democratic fund raising charts in Q2 with a staggering $25m raised.)

It's possible that one of the "very little to half a chancers" graduates upwards, but none of them raised much money in Q2, so they can't buy exposure, and they are all on 1-4% in the polls, so a break-out (while possible) is unlikely.
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

dixiedean said:

Meanwhile I am shortly off to vote. For Northumbria PCC. A fine selection. A Tory who has his finger on the pulse of crime and policing in the NE from his home in Lincolnshire. A LD who thinks we should abolish the post altogether. A Labour councillor with no experience of the subject, or a complete cocoa pop of an independent who has plenty of history with the law...mostly of being warned about her behaviour.
    Who to choose?

How good are you at drawing a cock and balls?
    If you're offering yourself as a life model, you should be aware that few people do miniatures these days.
    Burn, baby burn... :-D
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    nico67 said:

Interesting to see Tories who were never seen as part of the awkward squad voting against the government .

Keith Simpson never figured in anyone’s calculations . He’s never rebelled before in 22 years.

Never rebelled before? Fake news.

https://www.publicwhip.org.uk/mp.php?id=uk.org.publicwhip/member/41773

:smiley:
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Warren sub 5.0 on Betfair.

Well, if you reckon that one of the four-and-a-half major candidates has an 90% chance of winning the nomination, then they should all be between 3 and 7.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    edited July 2019
    RobD said:

nico67 said:

Never rebelled before? Fake news.

https://www.publicwhip.org.uk/mp.php?id=uk.org.publicwhip/member/41773

:smiley:
    Keith's a true patriot as he's trying to deliver on Vote Leave's promise of there will not be a No Deal Brexit
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,345
    Cicero said:

nico67 said:

We need the same thing to happen in labour
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    Cicero said:

nico67 said:

In all seriousness if I were a Tory MP (I never will be) even as a determined Leaver and someone who would always choose No Deal over Remain were that the final choice, I would have voted for this amendment. There are some very basic principles involved and suspending Parliament just to prevent them doing their job is so far from acceptable as to override even the risks that this might derail Brexit.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

dixiedean said:

Who to choose?

At least the LD sounds sensible.
    That is a first
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    It’s quite astonishing to see what has happened today .

Dominic Grieves original amendment which was much weaker than this scraped home by one vote .

The Lords then added an amendment , this was strengthened today and it passed by 41 votes !

All this could have been avoided by a simple no to suspend Parliament by Johnson . So in effect he’s forced this issue and the symbolism of such a rebellion amongst the Tories puts a marker down .

I really do think the Tories have badly misjudged this Leadership , there’s no chance Bozo can unite the party .

Gove for all his faults could have done that , the fact he remained loyal to May and did at least try to hold out an olive branch to the more pro EU wing of the party .

I just can’t see how this ends well.
  • Options
    To be fair you obviously could make it up because he did. :)
  • Options

Cicero said:

nico67 said:

In all seriousness if I were a Tory MP (I never will be) even as a determined Leaver and someone who would always choose No Deal over Remain were that the final choice, I would have voted for this amendment. There are some very basic principles involved and suspending Parliament just to prevent them doing their job is so far from acceptable as to override even the risks that this might derail Brexit.
    History is littered with people who pulled down working systems to get an outcome they preferred.

“William Roper: “So, now you give the Devil the benefit of law!”

Sir Thomas More: “Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?”

William Roper: “Yes, I'd cut down every law in England to do that!”

Sir Thomas More: “Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned 'round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down, and you're just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!”
  • Options
    justin124 said:
    Labour are going nowhere in Scotland no matter how much you spin it
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cicero said:

nico67 said:

History is littered with people who pulled down working systems to get an outcome they preferred.

Sir Thomas More: “Yes! What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?”

Sir Thomas More: “Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned 'round on you, where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country is planted thick with laws, from coast to coast, Man's laws, not God's! And if you cut them down, and you're just the man to do it, do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!”
    Exactly the quote I was thinking of today. One of the finest in English Literature.

As an aside I was very surprised when I read A Man For All Seasons as part of my English O Level, to find it was written in the 1950s. I had always believed to have been centuries older than that, so good was the writing.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,866

Cicero said:

nico67 said:

👍
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009

justin124 said:
    Yep - if Labour is second in scotland with more than a few token seats I think the model is wrong
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Immigration, citizenship and those “go home” tweets
    Matthew Parris defends his belief that full citizenship comes gradually
    Matthew Parris & Freddie Sayers"

https://unherd.com/2019/07/debate-whats-wrong-with-trumps-go-home-tweets/
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    edited July 2019
    nico67 said:

Dominic Grieves original amendment which was much weaker than this scraped home by one vote .

The Lords then added an amendment , this was strengthened today and it passed by 41 votes !

All this could have been avoided by a simple no to suspend Parliament by Johnson . So in effect he’s forced this issue and the symbolism of such a rebellion amongst the Tories puts a marker down .

I really do think the Tories have badly misjudged this Leadership , there’s no chance Bozo can unite the party .

Gove for all his faults could have done that , the fact he remained loyal to May and did at least try to hold out an olive branch to the more pro EU wing of the party .

Brexit cannot now be resolved by compromise. It could have been had T May gone down that route in 2016 but now both sides are too deeply entrenched. As Bozo said, it's do or die. And both his premiership and Brexit are going to die.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,283

To be fair you obviously could make it up because he did. :)
    An example of how Boris will govern. With no regard to facts or information.

As I understand it the ice rules are because of concerns about Listeria in smoked fish. Not too serious for most people, but can kill you if the infection gets out of hand.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Cicero said:

nico67 said:

👍
    That is my view

Despite HYFUD and Viceroy comments telling us to clear off to the Lib Dems we will remain and fight the ultras who think they can take us into some dark age and economic armageddon
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

DNC debates are going to be seeded

No hopers: The first draw includes 10 candidates: Michael Bennet, Steve Bullock, Bill de Blasio, John Delaney, Tulsi Gabbard, Kirsten Gillibrand, John Hickenlooper, Jay Inslee, Tim Ryan and Marianne Williamson.

Very little to half a chancers: The second draw includes six candidates: Cory Booker, Pete Buttigieg, Julián Castro, Amy Klobuchar, Beto O’Rourke and Andrew Yang.

Big four : The final draw includes four candidates: Joe Biden, Kamala Harris, Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren.

I note if we use @rsc1000 favoured metric of Iowa/New Hampshire then BOOTEDGEDGE is moving toward being a top tier rather than a 2nd tier candidate. Because "even" numbers are required though he can't be placed with the top 4 - in reality he's somewhere between the big four and the rest of his seeding pool.

I think there's really four and a half candidates in this, with Buttigieg being the half. (He gets a half on the back of 1. leading in Iowa on the latest poll, and 2. topping the Democratic fund raising charts in Q2 with a staggering $25m raised.)

It's possible that one of the "very little to half a chancers" graduates upwards, but none of them raised much money in Q2, so they can't buy exposure, and they are all on 1-4% in the polls, so a break-out (while possible) is unlikely.
    This month's debate is essentially their last chance.

Buttigieg is funded for considerably longer, and even if it becomes clear he has no chance of winning, might stay in for the exposure (and the chance of a VP slot).
    Anyone operating on fumes isn't going to persist for very long.

And in revenge for your forceful efforts to make an intellectual case for Radiohead, I give you this...
    https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/07/bts-paved-the-way-army-fandom/592543/
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    eek said:

justin124 said:
    Yep - if Labour is second in scotland with more than a few token seats I think the model is wrong
    It only gives Labour 15% there with the Tories on 13%. LDs and Brexit Party are both on 10%.
    Not inclined to believe the London data - Labour, LibDem & Tories all in 26% - 28% range.
  • Options

nico67 said:

Brexit cannot now be resolved by compromise. It could have been had T May gone down that route in 2016 but now both sides are too deeply entrenched. As Bozo said, it's do or die. And both his premiership and Brexit are going to die.
    The thing is so many forecasts of what might happen have ended up not being realized . If someone had told me in early March we’d still be in the EU in the summer I wouldn’t have believed it .

Nothing would shock me anymore .
  • Options
    justin124 said:

eek said:

justin124 said:
    It only gives Labour 15% there with the Tories on 13%. LDs and Brexit Party are both on 10%.
    Not inclined to believe the London data - Labour, LibDem & Tories all in 26% - 28% range.
    You generally do not like any data that shows labour in dire straights
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    rcs1000 said:

Cicero said:

nico67 said:

The downside of that quote is that it strongly influenced my choice to study law at University instead of something interesting.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

justin124 said:

eek said:

justin124 said:
    The Yougov London data actually shows a Tory and Labour surge compared with its earlier surveys - with the LibDems falling back.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1151878941969399809

Erm... There is a recess next week for at least a month, so MPs can have a holiday.

Why are MPs already on family holidays?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,554
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

eek said:

justin124 said:
    The Yougov London dat actually shows a Tory and Labour surge compared with its earlier surveys - with the LibDems falling back.
    What’s the MOE on these sub samples?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,668

Cicero said:

nico67 said:

👍
    That is my view

Despite HYFUD and Viceroy comments telling us to clear off to the Lib Dems we will remain and fight the ultras who think they can take us into some dark age and economic armageddon
    In the nicest possible way there are a number of you on here whom I struggle to understand why you/they are not in the LDs Those that I am thinking of really have views that are pretty well indistinguishable from mine (or am I in the wrong party?)
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

eek said:

justin124 said:
    The Yougov London dat actually shows a Tory and Labour surge compared with its earlier surveys - with the LibDems falling back.
    What’s the MOE on these sub samples?
    Pretty big!
  • Options

Erm... There is a recess next week for at least a month, so MPs can have a holiday.

Exactly
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

The thing is so many forecasts of what might happen have ended up not being realized . If someone had told me in early March we’d still be in the EU in the summer I wouldn’t have believed it .

It's clear that parliament will not countenance no deal and it's also clear that the EU will not change May's deal in any meaningful way. Bozo has set his face so strongly against that deal that he could not credibly recommend anything resembling it to the HoC. So it will not be no deal, it will not be the only deal on offer, ergo it will be remain, probably disguised as another A50 extension initially.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    kjh said:

Cicero said:

nico67 said:

👍
    That is my view

In the nicest possible way there are a number of you on here whom I struggle to understand why you/they are not in the LDs Those that I am thinking of really have views that are pretty well indistinguishable from mine (or am I in the wrong party?)
    Probably TBP if you agree with Viceroy but the conservative party has to be a broad church
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Nigelb said:

Of course you could - Boris has extended form over decades in making up EU regulatory stories.
    The problem is the idiot will be PM in a few days time. Who on earth advised him to use a smelly dead fish as a prop? Maybe I am being to generous to Boris: He probably thought of it! He cannot do statesman, he can only do clown...
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136

For the same reason dogs lick their testicles?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    justin124 said:
    Fwiw the actual predictions show 5 SNP gains from SLab.

Still, narrowly second, eh?
  • Options

justin124 said:

Is that just in London?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,873

Holiday prices go up from next week? ;)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2019
    It's a little unfortunate for the LDs that they're going through a leadership election at the moment. A few weeks ago they were first in the opinion polls and may have been able to capitalise on that situation if they'd had a leader in place. They've slightly lost the momentum since then, although Brecon & Radnor could help get it back.
  • Options

kjh said:

Cicero said:

nico67 said:

👍
    That is my view

Probably TBP if you agree with Viceroy but the conservative party has to be a broad church
    Oh BGNW I obviously worded that badly. I'm a LD. A shudder went down my back when I read that.

What I meant was we have an awful lot in in common as I do with a number of other moderate sensible Tories on here and I really don't feel like I am in the wrong party.

To quote HYFD however I am a 'lefty', something I don't think I have ever been called before.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    edited July 2019

Cicero said:

nico67 said:

👍
    That is my view

BigG, I have never actually told you to clear off to the LDs, it is more Tories who opposed the Withdrawal Agreement, opposed No Deal and refuse to back Brexit Deal or No Deal that applied to eg Grieve, Greening, Bebb, Gyimah, Lee etc
  • Options
    DavidL said:

justin124 said:

Is that just in London?
    I know Lab are doing badly, but SNP making 5 gains from Lab in London is pretty impressive!
  • Options
    kjh said:

kjh said:

Cicero said:

nico67 said:

👍
    That is my view

Oh BGNW I obviously worded that badly. I'm a LD. A shudder went down my back when I read that.

What I meant was we have an awful lot in in common as I do with a number of other moderate sensible Tories on here and I really don't feel like I am in the wrong party.

To quote HYFD however I am a 'lefty', something I don't think I have ever been called before.
    I think it is telling how comfortable the Cameron/Osborne brand of Tory was with the Coalition. They seemed much happier negotiating with Clegg and Alexander than they ever did with the ERG.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

nico67 said:

👍
    That is my view

BigG, I have never actually told you to clear off to the LDs, it is more Tories who opposed the Withdrawal Agreement, opposed No Deal and refuse to back Brexit Deal or No Deal that applied to
    You have you know but I hope you will be cautious over suggesting fellow conservatives should leave the party. We have to be a broad church
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,993
    HYUFD said:
    That is almost exactly where we stand right now. The public is obviously delighted with the status quo.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,866
    AndyJS said:

It's a little unfortunate for the LDs that they're going through a leadership election at the moment. A few weeks ago they were first in the opinion polls and may have been able to capitalise on that situation if they'd had a leader in place. They've slightly lost the momentum since then, although Brecon & Radnor could help get it back.

How much of this is “unfortunate” and how much of it is Lib Dem weakness at managing the “air war”.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Holiday prices go up from next week? ;)
    Nope - he's Scottish and their school holidays started a fortnight or so ago...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Cicero said:

nico67 said:

👍
    That is my view

I think it is telling how comfortable the Cameron/Osborne brand of Tory was with the Coalition. They seemed much happier negotiating with Clegg and Alexander than they ever did with the ERG.
    Can you blame them? The ERG are a bunch of obsessive whackos.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    I met another one of 'us' today amongst the select 160k who are the 'infiltrators' it seems in not head-banging....

Another ABB voter.... a lifelong Tory in her 70s..
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Cicero said:

nico67 said:

👍
    That is my view

I think that is so true. I heard rumours of stuff Cameron/Osborne agreed with but couldn't do because they would not get it past the right of the party.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,714
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

The deselection process begins next Thursday
    Good luck with that . Deselecting will see them resign the whip and the Tories are then totally screwed .
    Nope, far better to get rid of the traitors and clean the stables to win back Brexit Party voters
    You know what, I used to think you were just a deluded, gullible, intellectually challenged figure of fun. But when morons like you use phrases such as "traitors" for people that have given a life of service to their party and nation, I realise that you deserve nothing less than contempt. You are a worthless little worm with as much understanding as to what it means to be a Conservative as Jeremy Corbyn. You are completely beneath contempt.
    People like me campaign week in and week out for the party and at weekends only for people like Grieve to reject what the vast majority of Tory members and voters want and what 17 million voted for and thus force thousands if not millions of our voters into the Brexit Party as a result.

Patronising, arrogant blowhards like you can lecture as much as you want but the sooner we are rid of the likes of you from the party the better, on that Viceroy is correct
    You know, I peeked into the 'other' PB.com a little while ago. Goodness, what a civilised place that was compared to here.

SeanT is still there, ranting admittedly but still there. TSE is still got a raging..... well, he still likes Cameron. And the discussions are civil. All the talk is about how Osborne is the shoe in against May. He basically got to pick his opponent, and Theresa May, well she might've been okay as Home Secretary but as PM material she'll never beat the Boy Wonder.

Announcement of that Leadership contest is during Conference season and its widely expected Osborne will win, win handily and then go on to beat Corbyn in 2020 for his majority. Sure, Farage and UKIP are still a threat but three years later after the 52% Remain win, the country is moving on.

And Osborne's win next year will mean the end of Corbyn and hopefully the Labour party can get back on its feet again. There's talk Benn or Watson will take over, or even Ed make a return.

Of course, the Lib Dems are still struggling on 10%, but Farron can't have it all.

What a civilised place that place is!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

nico67 said:

👍
    That is my view

BigG, I have never actually told you to clear off to the LDs, it is more Tories who opposed the Withdrawal Agreement, opposed No Deal and refuse to back Brexit Deal or No Deal that applied to
    You have you know but I hope you will be cautious over suggesting fellow conservatives should leave the party. We have to be a broad church
    The long term (medium term?) problem the Cons have with becoming BXP-lite, is that when Brexit proves to be an utter shitfest of economic decline, people will turn away. You wont find anyone who is prepared to say they wanted No Deal.

Without the wider base of support, the Tories will collapse.
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    justin124 said:

eek said:

justin124 said:
    Don't take subsamples literally. They are not weighted.
  • Options
    kjh said:

DavidL said:

justin124 said:

Is that just in London?
    I know Lab are doing badly, but SNP making 5 gains from Lab in London is pretty impressive!
    Probably. I am no nationalist or indeed a lefty but if I was and was given a choice between voting for Corbyn and his vile cohort of racists and Nicola Sturgeon there would at least a pause for thought, probably more than that.
  • Options
    kjh said:

kjh said:

Cicero said:

nico67 said:

👍
    That is my view

Looks like I misunderstood you and did not know you are a LD.

I am more to the centre left of the conservative party and I do believe the coalition was an excellent government

However, I do support Brexit even though I voted remain and believe we should have accepted TM deal. I reject no deal under all circumstances and am pleased that my party's responsible mps voted today to stop the proroguing of the HOC
  • Options
    kjh said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Cicero said:

nico67 said:

👍
    That is my view

I think that is so true. I heard rumours of stuff Cameron/Osborne agreed with but couldn't do because they would not get it past the right of the party.
    Being objective about it the Orange bookers had a very similar world view to them and some useful ideas whilst the ERG are a bunch of f****** nutters. Who would you rather speak to?
  • Options
    As Trump descends further into the gutter how does the future PM deal with this .

The disgusting scenes at his rally last night mean a UK PM being seen to be too close to Trump could seriously harm their appeal .

Indeed a simple re hash of the infamous Tory poster but this time with Bozo in Trumps pocket could suffice !

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

Good luck with that . Deselecting will see them resign the whip and the Tories are then totally screwed .
    Nope, far better to get rid of the traitors and clean the stables to win back Brexit Party voters
    You know what, I used to think you were just a deluded, gullible, intellectually challenged figure of fun. But when morons like you use phrases such as "traitors" for people that have given a life of service to their party and nation, I realise that you deserve nothing less than contempt. You are a worthless little worm with as much understanding as to what it means to be a Conservative as Jeremy Corbyn. You are completely beneath contempt.
    People like me campaign week in and week out for the party and at weekends only for people like Grieve to reject what the vast majority of Tory members and voters want and what 17 million voted for and thus force thousands if not millions of our voters into the Brexit Party as a result.

Patronising, arrogant blowhards like you can lecture as much as you want but the sooner we are rid of the likes of you from the party the better, on that Viceroy is correct
    You know, I peeked into the 'other' PB.com a little while ago. Goodness, what a civilised place that was compared to here.

SeanT is still there, ranting admittedly but still there. TSE is still got a raging..... well, he still likes Cameron. And the discussions are civil. All the talk is about how Osborne is the shoe in against May. He basically got to pick his opponent, and Theresa May, well she might've been okay as Home Secretary but as PM material she'll never beat the Boy Wonder.

Announcement of that Leadership contest is during Conference season and its widely expected Osborne will win, win handily and then go on to beat Corbyn in 2020 for his majority. Sure, Farage and UKIP are still a threat but three years later after the 52% Remain win, the country is moving on.

And Osborne's win next year will mean the end of Corbyn and hopefully the Labour party can get back on its feet again. There's talk Benn or Watson will take over, or even Ed make a return.

Of course, the Lib Dems are still struggling on 10%, but Farron can't have it all.

LOL. Even as a leaver you make it sound very tempting.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Cicero said:

nico67 said:

👍
    That is my view

The long term (medium term?) problem the Cons have with becoming BXP-lite, is that when Brexit proves to be an utter shitfest of economic decline, people will turn away. You wont find anyone who is prepared to say they wanted No Deal.

Without the wider base of support, the Tories will collapse.
    You may be correct but to be honest there are so many variables it is impossible to be certain of anything.

I understand labour peers are considering a vonc on Corbyn on monday.

That should be fun
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

It's clear that parliament will not countenance no deal and it's also clear that the EU will not change May's deal in any meaningful way. Bozo has set his face so strongly against that deal that he could not credibly recommend anything resembling it to the HoC. So it will not be no deal, it will not be the only deal on offer, ergo it will be remain, probably disguised as another A50 extension initially.
    What he can recommend is a long transition agreement (indefinite?) while the FTA is negotiated.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    nico67 said:

As Trump descends further into the gutter how does the future PM deal with this .

The disgusting scenes at his rally last night mean a UK PM being seen to be too close to Trump could seriously harm their appeal .

Indeed a simple re hash of the infamous Tory poster but this time with Bozo in Trumps pocket could suffice !

Something like this (probably by someone who can use photoshop and spent more than 30 seconds creating this picture)...

cIXYZ.jpg
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,114

They could do a remake of the Man in the High Castle set in Brexitlandia 2030 where people can travel between that reality and a different world in which Remain won.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    nico67 said:

Anyone with a clue would be steering well clear of Trump.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

kjh said:

kjh said:

Cicero said:

nico67 said:

👍
    That is my view

I am more to the centre left of the conservative party and I do believe the coalition was an excellent government

However, I do support Brexit even though I voted remain and believe we should have accepted TM deal. I reject no deal under all circumstances and am pleased that my party's responsible mps voted today to stop the proroguing of the HOC
    The nutters will still try No Deal. No Deal needs a wooden stake through the heart....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    With the Brexit Party on 68, the maximum number of votes for a Brexit deal goes down considerably.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

kjh said:

kjh said:

Cicero said:

nico67 said:

👍
    That is my view

The nutters will still try No Deal. No Deal needs a wooden stake through the heart....
    Today has seen a positive move towards that but it is also important that no deal's opposite, remain, is put to bed by passing a WDA
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,508
    How much longer are they intending to drag out this Tory leadership campaign? It's been two candidates forever. The tail end of the current administration with Theresa pretending to be relevant and Hammond running around defecating on the carpets to spite the next incumbent is deeply unnecessary and life support needs to be shut off stat.
  • Options
    eek said:

nico67 said:

Something like this (probably by someone who can use photoshop and spent more than 30 seconds creating this picture)...

cIXYZ.jpg
    Wait until Trump finds out Boris's grandfather was Turkish!!!!!! :angry:
  • Options

eek said:

nico67 said:

cIXYZ.jpg
    Wait till Boris finds out Trump's granda was Scottish.
  • Options

How much longer are they intending to drag out this Tory leadership campaign? It's been two candidates forever. The tail end of the current administration with Theresa pretending to be relevant and Hammond running around defecating on the carpets to spite the next incumbent is deeply unnecessary and life support needs to be shut off stat.

Result next wednesday but hustings have finished. It has gone on far too long
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    nico67 said:

Just when you think he cannot get any uglier he does just that.

Big test of the American people coming up next year.

Nothing is more important than that they prove up to it. I have to believe they will be.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,804
    RobD said:

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

What he can recommend is a long transition agreement (indefinite?) while the FTA is negotiated.
    So under May the ERG would have blocked such an agreement. If Boris can get them onside (possibly as "their" man negotiating the next steps), are there any other blockages?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,508

Thank the Lord for that. What on earth was it in aid of? When there were plenty of candidates one could see the point.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

eek said:

nico67 said:

cIXYZ.jpg
    Perhaps Nicola Sturgeon could offer to take Trump back and give him a private island in the Outer Hebrides.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,749

kjh said:

kjh said:

Cicero said:

nico67 said:

👍
    That is my view

Today has seen a positive move towards that but it is also important that no deakl's opposite, remain, is put to bed by passing a WDA
    I take issue with that Big_G... Remain got 48% of the EUref vote - how much did No Deal get?

Remain is only No Deal's opposite in the sense that good sense is utter madness's opposite.
  • Options

kjh said:

kjh said:

Cicero said:

nico67 said:

👍
    That is my view

N problem. I obviously haven't made my mark here then even though I've been in and out since the very beginning :wink:

Agree on coalition.

We do differ on Brexit however. I think it has to be killed stone dead.
  • Options

Thank the Lord for that. What on earth was it in aid of? When there were plenty of candidates one could see the point.
    Following the rule book
  • Options

RobD said:

nico67 said:

nico67 said:

So under May the ERG would have blocked such an agreement. If Boris can get them onside (possibly as "their" man negotiating the next steps), are there any other blockages?
    Wasn't the DUPs stated plan to support May's Deal and then support a VoNC?
  • Options
    glw said:

nico67 said:

Anyone with a clue would be steering well clear of Trump.
    What I think we will no longer be troubled with, at least for the next 2/6 years, is any nonsense about how the US and the UK are bound by common values and principles. All of that guff should be quietly forgotten but we still have strategic and defence interests in common which means it is not in our interests to fall out with the US completely. But we can certainly be a lot cooler about it.
  • Options

eek said:

nico67 said:

cIXYZ.jpg
    Perhaps Nicola Sturgeon could offer to take Trump back and give him a private island in the Outer Hebrides.
    St Kilda's free, I believe.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,930

He just needs more optimism.

It's funny because of how many actually believe that is all you need.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

nico67 said:

Nothing is more important than that they prove up to it. I have to believe they will be.
    I hope you’re right . Trump is a cancer not just on the USA but the world . Soon his baying mob will be shouting string her up . These are very dark times for the USA , and by extension the rest of us . Trump is enabling a new very ugly type of politics.
  • Options
    kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Cicero said:

nico67 said:

👍
    That is my view

N problem. I obviously haven't made my mark here then even though I've been in and out since the very beginning :wink:

Agree on coalition.

We do differ on Brexit however. I think it has to be killed stone dead.
    And I respect your view and the Lib Dems are reaping the benefits of being honest, as are the SNP
  • Options
    DavidL said:

kjh said:

DavidL said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Cicero said:

nico67 said:

👍
    That is my view

Being objective about it the Orange bookers had a very similar world view to them and some useful ideas whilst the ERG are a bunch of f****** nutters. Who would you rather speak to?
    I think I would class myself in the Orange Booker so that is a bit of a no brainer for me.
  • Options

eek said:

nico67 said:

cIXYZ.jpg
    Or even one close to the mainland. I'm sure a small golf course could be added.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruinard_Island
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,930
    GIN1138 said:
    Yep. And get ready for the Brexit Party and the Tories pushing that so hard, while opposing each other, that they ruin any chance Brexit has of winning. Own worst enemy, the no deal Brexiteers (aka the Tories).
  • Options

It might have been more tolerable had the result not been such a foregone conclusion. As it is the zombie government of May has staggered on to yet more defeats and little purpose.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,135
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

HYUFD said:

LOL. Even as a leaver you make it sound very tempting.
    I prefer the Miliverse. But basically any version of reality would be better than this one.
  • Options

kjh said:

kjh said:

Cicero said:

nico67 said:

In all seriousness if I were a Tory MP (I never will be.
    👍
    That is my view

Today has seen a positive move towards that but it is also important that no deakl's opposite, remain, is put to bed by passing a WDA
    I take issue with that Big_G... Remain got 48% of the EUref vote - how much did No Deal get?

Remain is only No Deal's opposite in the sense that good sense is utter madness's opposite.
    And in the middle is upholding a democratic vote to leave the EU

The correct course is to leave with a deal and then the opponents to leave campaign to rejoin.

To me that is democracy
  • Options
    nico67 said:

kinabalu said:

nico67 said:

I hope you’re right . Trump is a cancer not just on the USA but the world . Soon his baying mob will be shouting string her up . These are very dark times for the USA , and by extension the rest of us . Trump is enabling a new very ugly type of politics.
    Sadly, it's not as if we haven't been here before though...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fascism
This discussion has been closed.