Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Darroch shows he’s a true diplomat and resigns

123457»

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,979
    My only question would be did Corbyn reply....
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,715

Almost worth it for the detonations......

https://twitter.com/colinrtalbot/status/1148994327940648960

Sir Ivan Rogers would be even better.
    Does it have to be a Brit?
    Is Obama free?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    Even Boris Johnson Believes in ‘America First’
    Britain’s next prime minister chose flattering Donald Trump over supporting his country’s ambassador to Washington.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2019/07/boris-johnson-sank-kim-darroch-donald-trump/593680/
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,106
    Scott_P said:
    Murdoch lackey maybe being less than honest shocker.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

Scott_P said:
    Murdoch lackey maybe being less than honest shocker.
    Dishonest man about to become PM....
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    Holy God above, are they serious? How nepotistic can you get?

Elsewhere I have seen it speculated that GO is being lined up for it! lol He has two international jobs lined up for him if you believe the media, head of the IMF and now Ambassador to the US! I doubt Cameron would want it anyway as it probably isn't well remunerated, he would have restrictions on earning money and it is based in Washington! To add to that Cameron said some pretty unflattering things about Trump in 2015/2016! So he is a non-runner as well as Trump would take Umbridge!
  • Options

Almost worth it for the detonations......

https://twitter.com/colinrtalbot/status/1148994327940648960

Sir Ivan Rogers would be even better.
    Does it have to be a Brit?
    Is Obama free?
    Could we go for Michelle?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    George Galloway would have a diplomatic turn of phrase as our new ambassador, I reckon.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,770

The reason for the chlorination is for food hygiene. So long as it works for that purpose it shouldn't be banned.

But it doesn't work, hence why there is far more food poisoning in the US
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    CatMan said:

The reason for the chlorination is for food hygiene. So long as it works for that purpose it shouldn't be banned.

Do you have stats on this?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited July 2019
    Edit. Awaiting a sensible format!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

They would have to postpone the memoirs again though.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

Elsewhere I have seen it speculated that GO is being lined up for it! lol He has two international jobs lined up for him if you believe the media, head of the IMF and now Ambassador to the US! I doubt Cameron would want it anyway as it probably isn't well remunerated, he would have restrictions on earning money and it is based in Washington! To add to that Cameron said some pretty unflattering things about Trump in 2015/2016! So he is a non-runner as well as Trump would take Umbridge!
    Isn't that Boris's constituency?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,216
    https://twitter.com/SMcDonaldFCO/status/1148987927193632768

Boris is really going to regret his first action as PM-in-waiting.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,770

CatMan said:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jun/03/the-truth-about-chlorinated-chicken-review-an-instant-appetite-ruiner

"US rates of campylobacter infection are 10 times higher than in the UK. The US records hundreds of salmonella deaths a year; the UK has in recent years recorded none."
  • Options

kjh said:

kinabalu said:

It also plays very well for remain. Brexit Britain = licking Trump's hindquarters.

Indeed.

"If you want a vision of the future, Winston, imagine kissing the rancid buttocks of a corpulent septuagenarian and eating chlorinated chicken ... FOREVER."
    Imagine if we had to wash down chlorinated chicken with chlorinated tap water . .
    I think that misses the point. It is not the chlorination that is the issue but the reason for the chlorination and as I have never heard of a case of cruelty or mistreatment of water I think we are ok

The logic against is like saying drivers seatbelts should be banned because that would make drivers drive safer.
    It’s not food hygiene - it’s done to pass the food hygiene tests, given the lack of suitable farming and welfare standards.

Go compare the rates of food poisoning in the US compared to Europe.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    That is interesting when you think about it. So, 9 million people or so in the UK think they should be worse off in the future and Brexit executed against about 60 Million others! Boris does not look such an "election winner" to use your phrase.....
  • Options

Nice picture. Encapsulates the FO perfectly (from my recollection of it anyway)
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

One can only live in hope.
  • Options
    eek said:

So oldish news but a change from Boris

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-48934045

Votes by MPs to legalise same-sex marriage and liberalise abortion law in Northern Ireland breach the devolution settlement, the Democratic Unionist Party has said.
    While the votes do not automatically change the law, they compel government to make the changes if devolution at Stormont is not restored by 21 October.

The DUP said the votes make it more difficult to restore its power-sharing government with Sinn Féin that collapsed in January 2017 amid a bitter row.
    Can someone explain how the third paragraph follows from the second? Given the DUP viewpoint surely ensuring devolution at Stormont is restored 21 October is essential otherwise their views will have been overridden.

DUP are better off having the inevitable changes imposed on NI by Westminster, allowing them to huff and puff whilst relieving them of the monkey on their back.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298

HYUFD said:
    That is interesting when you think about it. So, 9 million people or so in the UK think they should be worse off in the future and Brexit executed against about 60 Million others! Boris does not look such an "election winner" to use your phrase.....
    Plus do we think leave is still at 17.4m?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Oh dear. Matthew throwing his toys out of the pram...

Guess we're going to see a lot of this in the next fortnight.
    Yes as seen downthread, how dare we have a PM who actually campaigned for Leave and has an optimistic vision of Brexit!
    Because a blind man with an optimistic view of crossing the road is just what we need right now?
    What we need is someone who believes in the FTA for GB and restoration of sovereignty and border control Vote Leave won on not someone trying to keep as close ties to the EU as possible if not outright trying to stop Brexit altogether
    GB is not the country. The question asked in the referendum was should the United Kingdom leave the EU not should GB.
    And Northern Ireland voted Remain unlike GB and is the only part of the UK bordering a part of the EU and can decide by referendum if it wants the backstop to avoid a hard border with the Republic and protect the Good Friday Agreement or wants to join the UK immediately out of the Customs Union
    Scotland also voted Remain if you want to play that game, so did London. Scotland voted in much heavier numbers to Remain as well with over 44% of NI voting to Leave.

Either we're one country or we're not, there is no good reason why NI can remain in the Single Market and Customs Union but Scotland for instance can't. Especially when the elected representatives of Northern Ireland wish to leave it while the elected representatives of Scotland want to remain.

A border poll is a better solution if there's to be a referendum. Either NI remains as part of the UK in which case it is out of the EU, or it remains as part of the EU in which case it is out of the UK. Either way then there is integrity and if the Republic gets NI to stay part of the EU then the Republic should pick up the tab of the billions per year of public funding that NI requires.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

Isn't that Boris's constituency?
    Sorry auto correct on my smartphone it should say umbrage!
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,760

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

They would have to postpone the memoirs again though.
    I have John Majors autobiog and when I have time and my ship comes in I will buy the Charles Moore Thatcher two-volume job and Statecraft. There are many books to read, and Brown's book, or McCain's biog jump out at me. But I have no desire at all to read Tony Blair's Journey nor anything Cameron writes. I might change my mind, I might not, but right now there is a big echoing void where my bibliophilia normally resides... :(
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586

CatMan said:

https://www.cdc.gov/foodborneburden/pdfs/scallan-estimated-illnesses-foodborne-pathogens.pdf
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

A border poll is a better solution if there's to be a referendum. Either NI remains as part of the UK in which case it is out of the EU, or it remains as part of the EU in which case it is out of the UK. Either way then there is integrity and if the Republic gets NI to stay part of the EU then the Republic should pick up the tab of the billions per year of public funding that NI requires.

Can we all have one of those border polls please? I'm not sure why I have to pick up the tab of the billions per year of public funding that Barnsley and Great Yarmouth require.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298

HYUFD said:
    As to the tweet, I get it. After all every Labour voter votes to make the country poorer (IMNSHO).

Plus I have sympathy with the view that leaving was a democratic decision which has not yet been complied with. In such circumstances it's not surprising that some Leavers think fuck it.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:
    Nope - some people have switched to remain (for reasons such as we are clearly incompetent and require adult supervision from the EU) and I suspect a lot have died.

That doesn't however mean that a lot of Brexit votes weren't valid. The have-nots are annoyed and nothing has been done to resolve it. Unfortunately Brexit is likely to make their lives worse rather than better, they just don't know it...
  • Options
    So even Tom Newton Dunn knows his first story was bullcrap...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    edited July 2019
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:
    Indeed, that is a small pool of voters to fish and not all will vote Tory either. I as a former Tory voter in 2017 will not back Boris and I know others who have voiced the same opinion. It seems like a suicidal strategy electorally. I think Brexiteer Tories have lost the plot on this...
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,534

HYUFD said:
    What proportion of Remain voters think that Britain being worse off economically would be a price worth paying for remaining?

If you ask a particular group a slanted question you generate a headline but no truths.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:
    It might be more.

1) the elderly die, but the elderly category continues to expand: the number leaving thru death is less than the number entering by age. 2) the very oldest are more Europhilic than their slightly younger counterparts, and they are dying off fastest.

Don't rely on demographics to solve Brexit: it doesn't work like that.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

Actually comparing like-for-like its lower.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:
    What proportion of Remain voters think that Britain being worse off economically would be a price worth paying for remaining?

If you ask a particular group a slanted question you generate a headline but no truths.
    Plus what portion of Leavers would be happy to become poorer to Remain, and what portion of Remainers would be happy to become poorer to Leave. You need those figures as well... :(
  • Options

Can we all have one of those border polls please? I'm not sure why I have to pick up the tab of the billions per year of public funding that Barnsley and Great Yarmouth require.
    Almost half the voters of NI vote for parties backing a border poll.

What proportion of Barnsley and Great Yarmouth voters do so?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:
    It might be more.

1) the elderly die, but the elderly category continues to expand: the number leaving thru death is less than the number entering by age. 2) the very oldest are more Europhilic than their slightly younger counterparts, and they are dying off fastest.

Nah, the referendum has frozen the picture for most people; another reason why the Tories are in trouble. There won’t be many people who actually voted Remain in 2016 who have switched to leave three years later merely by dint of becoming older.

The key shift is the millions being added as younger people - mostly of an age to have noticed the referendum - achieve 18 and get added to the register. You don’t need to look far to find out their views on the matter.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Almost half the voters of NI vote for parties backing a border poll.

What proportion of Barnsley and Great Yarmouth voters do so?
    Both areas had 50%+ for Brexit Party/UKIP in the European Elections, and you could say they're the ultimate border poll parties, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

That flies in the face of the data, even Brexiteers admit that the UK will be worse off due to Brexit. It is why some preparations for No Deal have taken place due to the disruption! You cannot really bend a question that's premise is not supported by economic theory. Staying in the EU preserves the UKs trading relationship with the EU, it also means we would see the benefits of significant trade deals the EU has recently signed with countries and trading blocks outside the EU. Leaving the EU will have a detrimental impact on the UK economy, that is not in doubt....
  • Options

CatMan said:

Not really. Recorded rates of Salmonella poisoning per head in the US appear to be about six times higher (per head) than in the UK. Also worth noting that going to hospital or the doctor has financial consequences in the US and therefore milder cases probably go unreported there.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    IanB2 said:

viewcode said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:
    It might be more.

Nah, the referendum has frozen the picture for most people; another reason why the Tories are in trouble. There won’t be many people who actually voted Remain in 2016 who have switched to leave three years later merely by dint of becoming older.

The key shift is the millions being added as younger people - mostly of an age to have noticed the referendum - achieve 18 and get added to the register. You don’t need to look far to find out their views on the matter.
    That's not to say all the youngsters support remain. The leader of the young conservatives in our town has recently changed. She is now the 3rd thickest child in my children's junior school class (as a governor for the entire time (8 years) they were in that school I know exactly who was where)..
  • Options

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

That flies in the face of the data, even Brexiteers admit that the UK will be worse off due to Brexit. It is why some preparations for No Deal have taken place due to the disruption! You cannot really bend a question that's premise is not supported by economic theory. Staying in the EU preserves the UKs trading relationship with the EU, it also means we would see the benefits of significant trade deals the EU has recently signed with countries and trading blocks outside the EU. Leaving the EU will have a detrimental impact on the UK economy, that is not in doubt....
    It is in doubt. Even if there is some disruption many who back Leave do so as they believe that following disruption the UK will be better off.

You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

CatMan said:

Not really. Recorded rates of Salmonella poisoning per head in the US appear to be about six times higher (per head) than in the UK. Also worth noting that going to hospital or the doctor has financial consequences in the US and therefore milder cases probably go unreported there.
    I was going to respond but this (probably total unbiased) page https://briefingsforbrexit.com/fact-checking-the-bbc-fact-checkers/ is google's first result and I wasn't happy arguing the point.

• Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,810
    One of the top 10 most depressing days of Brexit.

Marquee Mark parroting Trump. Still, at least Boris isn't a direct Putin lackey yet, just indirectly down the cascade of association at present. Now, there is a bona fide mid level fascist with an ever increasing coterie of outriders in the major democracies

Where does this end up? Do we wobble and normalise, do we devise an offer for the angry above the heads of these clowns , or does this end up with our current democracy falling.

And, if it is lost, do we get to be a sleepy, diminished backwater of authoritarianism - a cowed Salazari or South American model (I think that more likely) or something altogether more sinister and Godwinny.

I don't much fancy going to civil war against Marquee, GIN et al, but on days like today, with them spouting as they are,, I begin to wonder ....
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

CatMan said:

That's categorically not true. Look at WHO or other reports that are consistent between countries and the US rate is lower.

The six times higher myth came about because someone mistakenly compared the CDC's estimated figure (which includes unreported cases etc) with the UK's laboratory confirmed figure. Which is comparing apples and oranges, estimated figures are always higher as people know not everyone gets treated that is why estimates are made.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited July 2019

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

It is in doubt. Even if there is some disruption many who back Leave do so as they believe that following disruption the UK will be better off.

Making a good omelette is one of the classic tests for new chefs. Superficially easy, actually very hard to get right. Generally though failure to make a good omelette doesn’t actively harm peoples’ lives. One can only hope that handwaving leavers suffer.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

I hope you do not lose your job, house and the things you hold dear. Life never works out how you think it might, be careful what you wish for as it can come and bite you on the arse! Disruption is great if it does not impact your life. I find comments like yours callous and lacking intelligence.
  • Options

One wonders if it had happened last week...
  • Options
    eek said:

IanB2 said:

CatMan said:

I was going to respond but this (probably total unbiased) page https://briefingsforbrexit.com/fact-checking-the-bbc-fact-checkers/ is google's first result and I wasn't happy arguing the point.

That page makes the point very clearly. Though Professor David Paton is probably the wrong type of expert.
  • Options

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

I hope you do not lose your job, house and the things you hold dear. Life never works out how you think it might, be careful what you wish for as it can come and bite you on the arse! Disruption is great if it does not impact your life. I find comments like yours callous and lacking intelligence.
    If I do lose my job, house and things I hold dear I hope that down the road I'll get a better job etc and so long as I have my family material things are not the end of the world.

Even people who suffer from disruption can be better off in the end, yes it may sound callous but creative destruction works.

An alternative name for "stability" is "stagnation".
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Theresa can do what she likes. Boris can still make any appointment he wants when he becomes PM...
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The most interesting thing about that is that it has leaked. I don't recall "outrider guidance" reaching the public domain before. There's a leaker inside the circle of trust.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

CatMan said:

That's categorically not true. Look at WHO or other reports that are consistent between countries and the US rate is lower.

The six times higher myth came about because someone mistakenly compared the CDC's estimated figure (which includes unreported cases etc) with the UK's laboratory confirmed figure. Which is comparing apples and oranges, estimated figures are always higher as people know not everyone gets treated that is why estimates are made.
    The 2015 WHO study found higher rates in the US/Canada/Cuba region than in Europe.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586
    eek said:

IanB2 said:

CatMan said:

I actually has a look at the raw figures and concluded the confounding factors made any direct comparison pretty well impossible for a layperson.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:
    Maybe when Boris steps across the threshold of No.10 in a few weeks time they should rename the DT as Pravda4Boris!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,817
    Pro_Rata said:

I don't much fancy going to civil war against Marquee, GIN et al, but on days like today, with them spouting as they are,, I begin to wonder ....

Do you think you might just be going a tiny bit over the top? ;)
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418
    HYUFD said:

Right decision by Darroch and Boris can ensure the right successor is appointed

Precisely. This is all anyone withe common sense needs to say about the matter.

Step away from the keyboard folks, come back when you feel better.
  • Options

The most interesting thing about that is that it has leaked. I don't recall "outrider guidance" reaching the public domain before. There's a leaker inside the circle of trust.
    The fact that one has “Outrider Guidance” at all I find vaguely depressing. People being told how to think is not an endearing trait in anybody. Whether politics, religion or politics as religion.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:
    So that’s what, 30% of the population?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Oh dear. Matthew throwing his toys out of the pram...

Guess we're going to see a lot of this in the next fortnight.
    Yes as seen downthread, how dare we have a PM who actually campaigned for Leave and has an optimistic vision of Brexit!
    Because a blind man with an optimistic view of crossing the road is just what we need right now?
    What we need is someone who believes in the FTA for GB and restoration of sovereignty and border control Vote Leave won on not someone trying to keep as close ties to the EU as possible if not outright trying to stop Brexit altogether
    GB is not the country. The question asked in the referendum was should the United Kingdom leave the EU not should GB.
    And Northern Ireland voted Remain unlike GB and is the only part of the UK bordering a part of the EU and can decide by referendum if it wants the backstop to avoid a hard border with the Republic and protect the Good Friday Agreement or wants to join the UK immediately out of the Customs Union
    Scotland also voted Remain if you want to play that game, so did London. Scotland voted in much heavier numbers to Remain as well with over 44% of NI voting to Leave.

Either we're one country or we're not, there is no good reason why NI can remain in the Single Market and Customs Union but Scotland for instance can't. Especially when the elected representatives of Northern Ireland wish to leave it while the elected representatives of Scotland want to remain.

Scotland does not border another EU nation nor does London.

Neither do they have the Good Friday Agreement to protect either.

Though a border poll in Northern Ireland as a last resort may be considered, most NI voters want to stay in the Union but avoid a hard border with the backstop until a technical solution is found to the Irish border
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Pro_Rata said:

In a culture war, pick your side. The Faragists are keen to fight to other peoples’ deaths.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,931

The other interesting thing is that it is being completely ignored. The attacks on Panorama and the journalist concerned are getting increasingly frenzied.

However, none of it will make a blind bit of difference. Just as the right will never accept any responsibility for anything to do with the shambles that is Brexit and will deny all negatives associated with it, so the Labour membership will ignore all evidence of the anti-Semitism Corbyn has unleashed. The deeply religious cannot be reasoned with.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653

HYUFD said:

Right decision by Darroch and Boris can ensure the right successor is appointed

Precisely. This is all anyone withe common sense needs to say about the matter.

Step away from the keyboard folks, come back when you feel better.
    Surely “anyone with common sense” would want to see the post filled promptly and the leaker go unrewarded (before they are prosecuted and jailed?)
  • Options

HYUFD said:
    9 million people could win an overall majority if the Remain vote is split between Labour, LD and Green and on a 65% turnout of those eligible to vote and over 18.

Plus that is on a worst case scenario, a Canada style FTA with the EU largely protects the economy while still delivering the sovereignty and border control Leave voters want
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Even Boris Johnson Believes in ‘America First’
    Britain’s next prime minister chose flattering Donald Trump over supporting his country’s ambassador to Washington.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2019/07/boris-johnson-sank-kim-darroch-donald-trump/593680/

Boris Johnson is selling the country out. I don`t know why so many Conservatives support him.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

CatMan said:

The 2015 WHO study found higher rates in the US/Canada/Cuba region than in Europe.
    Source?
  • Options

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:

What about Kate Hoey? She is free now and a strong Brexiteer
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Labour aren't in a very good position to take legal action over the NDAs breached in tonight's Panorama, are they? Still, it would be entertaining if they tried...
  • Options
    edited July 2019

algarkirk said:

If I do lose my job, house and things I hold dear I hope that down the road I'll get a better job etc and so long as I have my family material things are not the end of the world.

Even people who suffer from disruption can be better off in the end, yes it may sound callous but creative destruction works.

No guarantee in life of things getting better, You could become ill and have to rely on the NHS, having lost your job. You might have lost any savings you have accrued or shares you may have owned may have become worthless. You might not be able to work and have to attend a hospital where they cannot administer some state of the art medical treatment because Brexit means NHS funding is constrained rather than expanding at the rates it has been the norm in recent decades.

Life can be grossly unfair and literally anything can happen!

Obviously, I hope you do not suffer any setbacks but some people never recover the path in life they might have thought they would had an event not occurred...

• Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    @Philip_Thompson how well did 'creative destruction' work for communities in the North East following Margret Thatcher's free-for-all capitalism?

Spoiler: the area is only just recovering and is still the poorest region of England.

There's no harm in making change but you can't just drop people into poverty without providing ways to mitigate any damage.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

CatMan said:

Source?
    I suspect the BriefforBrexit site I linked to earlier - I don't agree with it but can't be arsed to find the evidence to show it's wrong.

• Options
    edited July 2019
    I was bored for 5 minutes so this is for HYUFD - good luck in Boris's General Election campaign

cIl8H.jpg

Given this image which party do you vote for the Tories or Brexit...
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

This time in two weeks Boris will be kissing hands with HMQ. Then he'll go to Downing St and start choosing his Cabinet.

And the Johsnon Ministry will have begun.

Just let that sink in PB...

Don't have nightmares. :D

Yes and if Boris does win a majority the tantrums and throwing toys out of the pram here on election night will be worth staying up all night for!
    I'm surprised you're not exercised by his lack of a parliamentary majority now. What's more I'd imagine more MPs loathe him than like him-certainly than respect him-and he way the parliamentary numbers work means there will be no means of squeezing a majority. In fact three or four Tory defections and the Queen could be calling someone else. It's good to see PB almost united in its revulsion of Trumps behaviour towards our ambassador.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    9 million people could win an overall majority if the Remain vote is split between Labour, LD and Green and on a 65% turnout of those eligible to vote and over 18.

Plus that is on a worst case scenario, a Canada style FTA with the EU largely protects the economy while still delivering the sovereignty and border control Leave voters want
    How do you know the Brexit party will not split the Brexiteer vote between Tory, UKIP and BP? Some Labour Leavers might still vote Labour given how tribal they are as well even if the Labour party position themselves as Remain. No certainty in anything happening and Leavers might just not bother voting of course as they have taken the line that 2016 was an enduring vote and any subsequent vote is not worth participating in!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418
    TOPPING said:

They'd love Rory over there. It's the accent you see.
    Can we send them someone with nice teeth please. Rory isn't exactly going to quash any stereotypes.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    eek said:

I was bored for 5 minutes so this is for HYUFD - good luck in Boris's General Election campaign

cIl8H.jpg

Given this image which party do you vote for the Tories or Brexit...

Given only Boris has a chance of delivering a majority for Brexit, not Farage, it is actually the other way around.

It was Boris and Vote Leave and Cummings who got the Leave vote over 50% ,not Farage and Leave.EU and as long as the polls show a Boris led Tory Party ahead of the Brexit Party most Leavers will vote for the former
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013

Better off how, pray tell?

Be specific. Words like "sovereignty" and "uplands" won't cut it.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    HYUFD said:

Given only Boris has a chance of delivering a majority for Brexit, not Farage, it is actually the other way around.

It was Boris who won the Leave vote,not Farage and as long as the polls show a Boris led Tory Party ahead of the Brexit Party most Leavers will vote for the former

If the Lib Dems win 40% of the vote we can say sayonara to Boris, Corbyn and Farage in one night.

• Options
    eek said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

CatMan said:

Source?
    I suspect the BriefforBrexit site I linked to earlier - I don't agree with it but can't be arsed to find the evidence to show it's wrong.

Besides, if the chlorine washing was some extra thing being done to improve hygiene, rather than to mask failings earlier in the food production process, you’d expect rates in the US to be significantly better than in the UK. Whereas the fact is that they do it because chemical washing at the end is cheaper than improving their processes throughout.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    Pro_Rata said:

One of the top 10 most depressing days of Brexit.

Marquee Mark parroting Trump. Still, at least Boris isn't a direct Putin lackey yet, just indirectly down the cascade of association at present. Now, there is a bona fide mid level fascist with an ever increasing coterie of outriders in the major democracies

Where does this end up? Do we wobble and normalise, do we devise an offer for the angry above the heads of these clowns , or does this end up with our current democracy falling.

And, if it is lost, do we get to be a sleepy, diminished backwater of authoritarianism - a cowed Salazari or South American model (I think that more likely) or something altogether more sinister and Godwinny.

Yep, it's time to saddle up.
  • Options

New Fred

• Options
    StreeterStreeter Posts: 684
    GIN1138 said:

Pro_Rata said:

If Parliament is prorogued the people will hit the streets. We don’t hold with coups in this country.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Streeter said:

GIN1138 said:

Pro_Rata said:

If Parliament is prorogued the people will hit the streets. We don’t hold with coups in this country.
    The people voted for Brexit, it is Parliament blocking it
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

This time in two weeks Boris will be kissing hands with HMQ. . :D

After having hi head three quarters of the way up Trump's backside I hope he gargles in a very strong detergent before slobbering over the Queen

• Options

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

1) the problem is not that you are happy for you to lose your job, house and the things you hold dear. The problem is that you are happy for me to lose my job, house and the things I hold dear.
    2) The benefits of "creative destruction" are to the society, not the individual being destroyed (and then only if the net effect is positive)
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    viewcode said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

1) the problem is not that you are happy for you to lose your job, house and the things you hold dear. The problem is that you are happy for me to lose my job, house and the things I hold dear.
    2) The benefits of "creative destruction" are to the society, not the individual being destroyed (and then only if the net effect is positive)
    Brexit is not creative destruction.
    It’s just destruction.
This discussion has been closed.