Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The overnight figures don’t look good for many o the pollsters

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited May 2019 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The overnight figures don’t look good for many o the pollsters

BBC

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    First likeBXP
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    Second like LD. I will therefore Remain on this site whatever the evidence.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited May 2019
    Yougov clearly did best, their last poll had the Brexit Party over 30% in first, the LDs ahead of Labour and the Greens ahead of the Tories as it has turned out
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    > @dixiedean said:
    > Second like LD. I will therefore Remain on this site whatever the evidence.

You have to revoke something first :p
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2019
    Terrible night for Survation and Kantar. Both had Labour miles ahead of the LDs.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    > @RobD said:
    > > @dixiedean said:
    > > Second like LD. I will therefore Remain on this site whatever the evidence.
    >
    > You have to revoke something first :p

Mmm. I may Revoke the bottle of wine. That will be the equivalent of the Macron French veto.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    If you assume 70% of Labour voters are pro-Remain you get a total Remain vote of 50.3%.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    edited May 2019
    > @AndyJS said:
    > Terrible night for Survation and Kantar. Both had Labour miles ahead of the LDs.

Sweet revenge for Yougov over Survation after Survation beat it at GE 2017.

Survation Gold Standard no more
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    Thanks to all PBers for the usual excellent election night coverage.

Time to go to bed...
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    > @isam said:
    > https://twitter.com/jarvisdupont/status/1132796361466929153

Oh dear. Mr Dupont is clearly an utter knob
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    Does anyone have the ten best districts for each party ?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    edited May 2019
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    FPT:

> @not_on_fire said:
    > For all the results for local authority areas in England, tot up LD+Green+CHUK on the one hand, and Brex+Ukip on the other.
    >
    >
    >
    > If things carry on the way they are going, then pretty much all of the areas where Remain is ahead will be "Liberal" areas, and those where Leave is ahead will be "Tory" areas. And I'm not talking about present-day Lib Dems and Conservatives, I'm talking about the ideological successors of the current system.
    >
    >
    >
    > This split will end up restructuring politics, long-term, along an entrenched cultural divide.
    >
    >
    >
    > Ulsterization, part 33 in an ongoing series...
    >
    > We’re heading for a system with Democratic and Republican parties, just with different names

Yeah, pretty much, but without the maniacal religious dimension on the "Republican" side. We must be grateful for small mercies.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,631

> @isam said:

>

Oh dear. Mr Dupont is clearly an utter knob
    It's a parody account.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,577
    FPT:
    ah009 said:

The way forward for Labour is also clear. Ditch Corbyn and switch to people's vote.

Quite a few Labour MPs would disagree.......
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    edit
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    With only the Western Isles to go, I don’t think the Scottish result can change enough to alter seat allocation.

SNP 37.9% (+9
    Brexit 15.7%
    Lib Dems 13.9%
    Con 11.7%
    Lab 9.3% (-17)
    Greens

Seat allocation:
    SNP 3 (+1)
    Brexit 1 (n/c)
    LD 1 (+1)
    Con 1 (n/c)
    Lab 0 (-2)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @another_richard said:
    > Does anyone have the ten best districts for each party ?

Not yet. Over on the Vote2012 forum they think Newham was the best place for Labour with 50.3%.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    > @CarlottaVance said:
    > FPT:
    > The way forward for Labour is also clear. Ditch Corbyn and switch to people's vote.
    >
    > Quite a few Labour MPs would disagree.......

Not on the ditch Corbyn point
  • Options

We’re heading for a system with Democratic and Republican parties, just with different names

Yeah, pretty much, but without the maniacal religious dimension on the "Republican" side. We must be grateful for small mercies.
    No, I reckon that's on the list, given the amount of international conservative websites. How long before abortion becomes a partisan issue in the UK?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    > @AndyJS said:
    > If you assume 70% of Labour voters are pro-Remain you get a total Remain vote of 50.3%.
    **********************************************************************************************
    Agreed. But you need to add on the 30% of loyal Tory voters who are Remainers. Most of the Tory Leavers defected to the Brexit Party.

That brings Remain to 53.0%
  • Options
    > @viewcode said:
    > @isam said:
    > Oh dear. Mr Dupont is clearly an utter knob
    > It's a parody account.
    If it is, it hides the comedy very well.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Not on the ditch Corbyn point

But they're only vocal on the 'Remainyness has hurt us' point....
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763
    edited May 2019
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-48417424

Prediction for Scotland with 31/32 council areas declared:

SNP 3, BREX 1, LDEM 1, TORY 1

"The Western Isles will not declare its result until later on Monday, but it is unlikely to affect the overall Scottish result."
  • Options
    Scotland is one of the few places where the Tories beat Labour.
  • Options
    > @Barnesian said:
    > > @AndyJS said:
    > > If you assume 70% of Labour voters are pro-Remain you get a total Remain vote of 50.3%.
    > **********************************************************************************************
    > Agreed. But you need to add on the 30% of loyal Tory voters who are Remainers. Most of the Tory Leavers defected to the Brexit Party.
    >
    > That brings Remain to 53.0%

And I can tweak the figures to show something completely different. We know, for instance, that a good percentage of LD voters are actually Leave supporters.

It is pointless trying to divvy up the votes by party.

We are, pretty much, in the land of deadlock. There is no clear majority for any one position.
  • Options
    > @Barnesian said:
    > > @AndyJS said:
    > > If you assume 70% of Labour voters are pro-Remain you get a total Remain vote of 50.3%.
    > **********************************************************************************************
    > Agreed. But you need to add on the 30% of loyal Tory voters who are Remainers. Most of the Tory Leavers defected to the Brexit Party.
    >

But you need to take away the Leave supporters who voted LibDem, Green, SNP and PC.
  • Options
    > @Barnesian said:
    > > @AndyJS said:
    >

I think John Curtice was right to say recently that Remain are probably ahead now simply based on demographics. In other words, if the same people voted again in the referendum Remain would win. No disrespect to the elderly, it's just a fact.
  • Options
    > @AndyJS said:
    > Scotland is one of the few places where the Tories beat Labour.

And we keep being told that Labour can't win a GE without Scotland...
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    Is the MEP contingent now more or less Brexit minded than iin 2014 ? Looks like overall UKIP/Brexit/Tories have lost seats, although I suppose some of the Tory MEPs were remainers
  • Options
    > @CarlottaVance said:
    > FPT: Nothing has changed
    >
    > https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/1132799701491830784

And yet devolution was going to kill the SNP stone dead. How’s that going?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    > @CarlottaVance said:
    > FPT: Nothing has changed
    >
    > https://twitter.com/BBCPhilipSim/status/1132799701491830784

No word on what % of the votes the 'unambiguously' pro Brexit and anti Indy parties received?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    > @viewcode said:
    > We’re heading for a system with Democratic and Republican parties, just with different names
    >
    > Yeah, pretty much, but without the maniacal religious dimension on the "Republican" side. We must be grateful for small mercies.
    >
    > No, I reckon that's on the list, given the amount of international conservative websites. How long before abortion becomes a partisan issue in the UK?

I doubt it. This is one of the most secular and irreligious societies on Earth. It's too late to have culture wars over these kinds of religiously-dominated themes, at least amongst the bulk of the population.

That's not to say that the "Tory" half of the new divide might not ultimately toy with bringing back the death penalty for certain offences, but I don't think it'll fly.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,699

With only the Western Isles to go, I don’t think the Scottish result can change enough to alter seat allocation.

SNP 37.9% (+9

Brexit 15.7%

Lib Dems 13.9%

Con 11.7%

Lab 9.3% (-17)

Greens

Seat allocation:

SNP 3 (+1)

Brexit 1 (n/c)

LD 1 (+1)

Con 1 (n/c)

Lab 0 (-2)

Surely Brexit party can't be n/c from 2014. It has to be +1.
    I assume you're saying UKIP=BXP?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    The Brexit Party will end up on 30.5% UK wide.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Lol at the result in Richmond. Zac Goldsmith is toast
  • Options
    > @another_richard said:
    > > @Barnesian said:
    > > > @AndyJS said:
    > > > If you assume 70% of Labour voters are pro-Remain you get a total Remain vote of 50.3%.
    > > **********************************************************************************************
    > > Agreed. But you need to add on the 30% of loyal Tory voters who are Remainers. Most of the Tory Leavers defected to the Brexit Party.
    > >
    > > That brings Remain to 53.0%
    >
    > But you need to take away the Leave supporters who voted LibDem, Green, SNP and PC.

Plus those CUKs who would also vote Leave.

How revealing that I had already forgotten the splitters party.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    edited May 2019
    > @another_richard said:
    > > @Barnesian said:
    > > > @AndyJS said:
    > > > If you assume 70% of Labour voters are pro-Remain you get a total Remain vote of 50.3%.
    > > **********************************************************************************************
    > > Agreed. But you need to add on the 30% of loyal Tory voters who are Remainers. Most of the Tory Leavers defected to the Brexit Party.
    > >
    > > That brings Remain to 53.0%
    >
    > But you need to take away the Leave supporters who voted LibDem, Green, SNP and PC.

****************************************************************************************

:) And the Remain supporters who voted for the Brexit Party.

I agree it is an unsatisfactory way of assessing the public's view on Leave versus Remain. Let's just ask them.
  • Options
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > The Brexit Party will end up on 30.5% UK wide.

Laying them for over 40% was easy money.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @TheValiant said:
    > With only the Western Isles to go, I don’t think the Scottish result can change enough to alter seat allocation.
    >
    >
    >
    > SNP 37.9% (+9
    >
    > Brexit 15.7%
    >
    > Lib Dems 13.9%
    >
    > Con 11.7%
    >
    > Lab 9.3% (-17)
    >
    > Greens
    >
    >
    >
    > Seat allocation:
    >
    > SNP 3 (+1)
    >
    > Brexit 1 (n/c)
    >
    > LD 1 (+1)
    >
    > Con 1 (n/c)
    >
    > Lab 0 (-2)
    >
    > Surely Brexit party can't be n/c from 2014. It has to be +1.
    > I assume you're saying UKIP=BXP?

No. The former leader of UKIP in Scotland, David Coburn MEP, had already defected to the Brexit Party.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    > @TheValiant said:
    > With only the Western Isles to go, I don’t think the Scottish result can change enough to alter seat allocation.
    >
    >
    >
    > SNP 37.9% (+9
    >
    > Brexit 15.7%
    >
    > Lib Dems 13.9%
    >
    > Con 11.7%
    >
    > Lab 9.3% (-17)
    >
    > Greens
    >
    >
    >
    > Seat allocation:
    >
    > SNP 3 (+1)
    >
    > Brexit 1 (n/c)
    >
    > LD 1 (+1)
    >
    > Con 1 (n/c)
    >
    > Lab 0 (-2)
    >
    > Surely Brexit party can't be n/c from 2014. It has to be +1.
    > I assume you're saying UKIP=BXP?

A lot of people have been doing that all evening and it's not good practice, particularly as UKIP are in fact running in these elections, so the Brexit Party and UKIP were in competition, it wasn't simply a party re-brand.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited May 2019
    On polling errors and over-estimation of Labour, one obvious suspicion is that the pollsters' online panels are stuffed full of party activists, and that Labour activists were more likely to stay loyal to the party than Conservative activists.

This explains both the failure and direction of that failure, and also why the phone poll did well. Whether the explanation is valid is a different matter.
  • Options
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > The Brexit Party will end up on 30.5% UK wide.

Darn, so close to 29.99%.
  • Options
    > @another_richard said:
    > > @Pulpstar said:
    > > The Brexit Party will end up on 30.5% UK wide.
    >
    > Laying them for over 40% was easy money.

I wish I'd focused on that instead of the 25%-29.99% bracket.
  • Options
    > @Barnesian said:
    > > @another_richard said:
    > > > @Barnesian said:
    > > > > @AndyJS said:
    > > > > If you assume 70% of Labour voters are pro-Remain you get a total Remain vote of 50.3%.
    > > > **********************************************************************************************
    > > > Agreed. But you need to add on the 30% of loyal Tory voters who are Remainers. Most of the Tory Leavers defected to the Brexit Party.
    > > >
    > > > That brings Remain to 53.0%
    > >
    > > But you need to take away the Leave supporters who voted LibDem, Green, SNP and PC.
    >
    > ****************************************************************************************
    >
    > :) And the Remain supporters who voted for the Brexit Party.
    >
    > I agree it is an unsatisfactory way of assessing the public's view on Leave versus Remain. Let's just ask them.

Of all the 'voting for the other side' I think that will be the smallest.

I suspect Nigel and Widdy don't have many Remainer personal votes.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Bit of light relief....American comedian tries to explain cricket corruption to the yanks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5DWJv1hiwM
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    So I see the much vaunted "voters won't know the difference between UKIP and TBP theory" didn't happen. UKIP got about their polling figure.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    > @PaulM said:
    >
    > Is the MEP contingent now more or less Brexit minded than iin 2014 ? Looks like overall UKIP/Brexit/Tories have lost seats, although I suppose some of the Tory MEPs were remainers
    >
    >

2014 Tories were pro-Remain.
  • Options
    > @Black_Rook said:
    > > @viewcode said:
    > > We’re heading for a system with Democratic and Republican parties, just with different names
    > >
    > > Yeah, pretty much, but without the maniacal religious dimension on the "Republican" side. We must be grateful for small mercies.
    > >
    > > No, I reckon that's on the list, given the amount of international conservative websites. How long before abortion becomes a partisan issue in the UK?
    >
    > I doubt it. This is one of the most secular and irreligious societies on Earth. It's too late to have culture wars over these kinds of religiously-dominated themes, at least amongst the bulk of the population.
    >
    > That's not to say that the "Tory" half of the new divide might not ultimately toy with bringing back the death penalty for certain offences, but I don't think it'll fly.

We are seeing a significant religious divide in parts of our country. You only have to look at events outside schools in Birmingham, Manchester and beyond to see how certain groups are trying to use intimidation to bypass equality legislation to ensure their religious teachings take precedence over the laws of the land.

That is something that will go beyond primary education into other areas if it is not stamped on quickly - and I see no political will to do so. And that is seriously depressing.

We shouldn't be having to fight these battles again.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Next up, Peterborough !
  • Options
    It's strange having all the GB results bar one in by 1:30 in the morning.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    AndyJS said:

Laying them for over 40% was easy money.

I wish I'd focused on that instead of the 25%-29.99% bracket.
    It's often more productive to bet *against* something than *for* something.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2019
    Many in the Tories must be at a loss. Getting the ultra-brexiters might understandably be perceived as a short-term priority, just for survival, but won't win an election or form a workable public support base to get Brexit through.

Labour is almost equally stuffed, though not quite as badly. Move a bit one way and you might repair some damage, but then the party walls might collapse.
  • Options
    ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,503
    Tobias Elwood. Get a tie man
  • Options
    ah009ah009 Posts: 436
    > @KentRising said:
    > A lot of people have been doing that all evening and it's not good practice, particularly as UKIP are in fact running in these elections, so the Brexit Party and UKIP were in competition, it wasn't simply a party re-brand.

Especially as we're told often that the Brexit Party isn't* fascist and we know that Ukip now is.

*I'll reserve judgement until after I've actually seen some policies.
  • Options
    ExiledInScotlandExiledInScotland Posts: 1,503
    What’s the PB view on how safe Boris is in Uxbridge at a GE?
  • Options
    > @Barnesian said:
    >
    > I agree it is an unsatisfactory way of assessing the public's view on Leave versus Remain. Let's just ask them.

It might well come to that.

It is understandable that pb Tories focus on Labour's discomfort but the more immediate relevance is for the Conservative leadership election which will deliver a new Prime Minister with a new Brexit policy in just a few weeks.

And the trouble for all the Conservative runners is there is no clear way out of this because the only thing we can be sure of is that a snap election would see the party wiped out. so there might be a pivot to the so-called Noel Edmonds referendum: deal or no deal.

Ironically, the deal will probably look suspiciously like Theresa May's WA, or perhaps the variant she offered to Labour.

But it is the blue team where the action is. Labour doesn't matter.
  • Options
    > @CarlottaVance said:
    > https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/1132803559253250050

Who?

Oh, you mean the former BBC journalist who likes jabbing his finger at people and losing elections.

Oh. Him.

Next.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > Next up, Peterborough !

The Peterborough city council area went 38% Brexit party with Labour second on 17%. Of course the Peterborough constituency covers the more urban part of the local authority and we have no specific results for there.

https://www.peterboroughtoday.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-party-storms-to-victory-in-peterborough-at-european-elections-1-8941541
  • Options
    > @not_on_fire said:
    > Lol at the result in Richmond. Zac Goldsmith is toast

I wouldn't be making the leap that Tories in heavily anti-Brexit seats are toast. I doubt there are many remain Tory leaning voters who want Jeremy Corbyn in Downing St, so until the Lib Dem candidates in those seats are categorical that they won't support a Corbyn government it's probably still to play for.
  • Options
    edited May 2019

> @PaulM said:

>

> Is the MEP contingent now more or less Brexit minded than iin 2014 ? Looks like overall UKIP/Brexit/Tories have lost seats, although I suppose some of the Tory MEPs were remainers

>

>

2014 Tories were pro-Remain.

Utter nonsense. Dan Hannah was a Remainer?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @ExiledInScotland said:
    > What’s the PB view on how safe Boris is in Uxbridge at a GE?

I'm not even sure Boris will stand if he loses this leadership contest. He might follow Michael Portillo's journey from perennial losing favourite to television pundit and trainspotter.
  • Options
    > @AndyJS said:
    > It's strange having all the GB results bar one in by 1:30 in the morning.

Its 1655 in the Western Isles.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    PaulM said:

> @not_on_fire said:

> Lol at the result in Richmond. Zac Goldsmith is toast

I wouldn't be making the leap that Tories in heavily anti-Brexit seats are toast. I doubt there are many remain Tory leaning voters who want Jeremy Corbyn in Downing St, so until the Lib Dem candidates in those seats are categorical that they won't support a Corbyn government it's probably still to play for.

It depends if they consider a no-deal Brexit is even worse.

Realistically the Tories will lose 20-30 seats to the Lib Dems in a GE if they do this. Others they will lose to Labour if their vote splinters.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @Pulpstar said:
    > Next up, Peterborough !

The result tonight in Peterborough:

BRX 38.3%
    Lab 17.2%
    LD 15.4%
    Con 10.9%
    Green 10.8%
    UKIP 3.6%
    CHUK 3.0%
  • Options
    MauveMauve Posts: 129

On polling errors and over-estimation of Labour, one obvious suspicion is that the pollsters' online panels are stuffed full of party activists, and that Labour activists were more likely to stay loyal to the party than Conservative activists.

This explains both the failure and direction of that failure, and also why the phone poll did well. Whether the explanation is valid is a different matter.

The 19-21 May YouGov online poll got the Labour vote virtually correct. They did overestimate Brexit by a significant amount though, giving them 37%. Perhaps whatever YouGov are doing to de-Labour their panels results in them having too many Leave voters in their samples, or upweighting them too much. From what I recall they were still the best of the online pollsters though.

Ipsos Mori clearly showing that telephone polls can still be a good predictor though, despite this being the age of mobiles and people not answering their phones.
  • Options

What’s the PB view on how safe Boris is in Uxbridge at a GE?

If he is PM he will be OK. Otherwise, game on
  • Options
    > @another_richard said:
    > > @AndyJS said:
    > > It's strange having all the GB results bar one in by 1:30 in the morning.
    >
    > Its 1655 in the Western Isles.

Interesting thing about the Western Isles is that it's divided roughly evenly between Catholics and Protestants. I think it's a north/south divide although I'm not an expert on the subject.
  • Options
    > @AndyJS said:
    > > @Pulpstar said:
    > > Next up, Peterborough !
    >
    > The result tonight in Peterborough:
    >
    > BRX 38.3%
    > Lab 17.2%
    > LD 15.4%
    > Con 10.9%
    > Green 10.8%
    > UKIP 3.6%
    > CHUK 3.0%

Thinking back to your 2016 prediction spreadsheet.

Leave did much better than expected in heavily non-white areas.

But TBP did very poorly in the same districts.

Labour really does have a loyalty vote among those communities.
  • Options
    > @AndyJS said:
    > > @another_richard said:
    > > > @AndyJS said:
    > > > It's strange having all the GB results bar one in by 1:30 in the morning.
    > >
    > > Its 1655 in the Western Isles.
    >
    > Interesting thing about the Western Isles is that it's divided roughly evenly between Catholics and Protestants. I think it's a north/south divide although I'm not an expert on the subject.

Barra is very Catholic, as is South Uist to a lesser degree. The other more Nothern islands are Protestant, some very staunchly so.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited May 2019
    > @another_richard said:
    > > @AndyJS said:
    > > > @Pulpstar said:
    > > > Next up, Peterborough !
    > >
    > > The result tonight in Peterborough:
    > >
    > > BRX 38.3%
    > > Lab 17.2%
    > > LD 15.4%
    > > Con 10.9%
    > > Green 10.8%
    > > UKIP 3.6%
    > > CHUK 3.0%
    >
    > Thinking back to your 2016 prediction spreadsheet.
    >
    > Leave did much better than expected in heavily non-white areas.
    >
    > But TBP did very poorly in the same districts.
    >
    > Labour really does have a loyalty vote among those communities.

Conversely the Brexit Party may be associated, probably understandably, with UKIP, in many non-white areas, and as such unfavourable to them.
  • Options
    Tories did better in Scotland than overall for the first time since 1955, and their best 5 results were in Scotland.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    > @brokenwheel said:
    > So I see the much vaunted "voters won't know the difference between UKIP and TBP theory" didn't happen. UKIP got about their polling figure.

I think it was only "vaunted" by me, and then mostly in the context of "under what circumstance could OGH's bet on the LDs beating BXP come off?"
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited May 2019
    Over the last few hours Con have gone back to favourite for Most Seats at next GE.
  • Options
    SirBenjaminSirBenjamin Posts: 238
    > @DecrepitJohnL said:
    > > @ExiledInScotland said:
    > > What’s the PB view on how safe Boris is in Uxbridge at a GE?
    >
    > I'm not even sure Boris will stand if he loses this leadership contest. He might follow Michael Portillo's journey from perennial losing favourite to television pundit and trainspotter.

And if he is PM, he'll benefit from the 'Leadership boost' to his personal vote, which is always considerable, sometimes bafflingly so.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    > @PaulM said:
    > > @not_on_fire said:
    > > Lol at the result in Richmond. Zac Goldsmith is toast
    >
    > I wouldn't be making the leap that Tories in heavily anti-Brexit seats are toast. I doubt there are many remain Tory leaning voters who want Jeremy Corbyn in Downing St, so until the Lib Dem candidates in those seats are categorical that they won't support a Corbyn government it's probably still to play for.

+++++++++

Zac G was lucky to hold on in 2017, managing to keep the seat by a few tens of votes.

If the LDs are on 14% nationwide at the next election, then he'll really struggle to hold on.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Why are people still laying the LDs 15-19.99% on Betfair? They're on 20.3%, which is certain to end at 19.5% +- 0.1%.
  • Options
    Hi
    rcs1000 said:

> @PaulM said:

> > @not_on_fire said:

> > Lol at the result in Richmond. Zac Goldsmith is toast

>

> I wouldn't be making the leap that Tories in heavily anti-Brexit seats are toast. I doubt there are many remain Tory leaning voters who want Jeremy Corbyn in Downing St, so until the Lib Dem candidates in those seats are categorical that they won't support a Corbyn government it's probably still to play for.

+++++++++

Zac G was lucky to hold on in 2017, managing to keep the seat by a few tens of votes.

If the LDs are on 14% nationwide at the next election, then he'll really struggle to hold on.

I would expect the Tories to lose most of their gains from the LDs in 2015 under current polling.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    > @AndyJS said:
    > Terrible night for Survation and Kantar. Both had Labour miles ahead of the LDs.

Terrrrrible night for the Tories.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Why are people still laying the LDs 15-19.99% on Betfair? They're on 20.3%, which is certain to end at 19.5% +- 0.1%.

People making the classic mistake of confusing GB and UK vote shares
  • Options

> What’s the PB view on how safe Boris is in Uxbridge at a GE?

I'm not even sure Boris will stand if he loses this leadership contest.

Agree - if he doesn't win the Leadership election, it will be the last election he stands in.
  • Options
    Change UK's performance in selected councils:

South Cambridgeshire: 7.1%
    South Hams: 3.3%
    Broxtowe: 4.7%
    Redbridge: 4.3%
    Enfield: 4.6%
    Stockport: 3.3%
    Lambeth: 8.1%
    Luton: 3.1%
    Liverpool: 2.4%
    Nottingham: 3.6%
    Barnsley: 2.4%
    Sheffield: 1.8%
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    rcs1000 said:

> @brokenwheel said:

> So I see the much vaunted "voters won't know the difference between UKIP and TBP theory" didn't happen. UKIP got about their polling figure.

I think it was only "vaunted" by me, and then mostly in the context of "under what circumstance could OGH's bet on the LDs beating BXP come off?"

I'd seen it suggested a few times, I'm pretty sure on here. Enough that it entered my mind as a possibility of TBP losing some votes.

Much vaunted might be overplaying it slightly...
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    > Tobias Elwood. Get a tie man

i never wear a tie anymore - bloody glad to be rid of them
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 703
    MikeL said:

Over the last few hours Con have gone back to favourite for Most Seats at next GE.

What could explain that?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Councils where Labour got the most votes: (24 out of 373)

Preston, Blackburn, Liverpool, Knowsley, Manchester, Oldham,
    Nottingham, Leicester, Birmingham, Luton, Slough,
    Croydon, Hounslow, Ealing, Brent, Harrow, Enfield, Hackney, Tower Hamlets,
    Newham, Greenwich, Barking & Dagenham, Redbridge, Waltham Forest.
  • Options
    po8crgpo8crg Posts: 23
    So, the Lib Dems top the poll in London and are still third-favourite for the Mayoral on Betfair Exchange.

Even if you think that Sadiq will win, then a trading bet on Siobhan Benita is still probably a decent move.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    NeilVW said:

MikeL said:

What could explain that?
    1. No Dealer as leader.
    2. Take Brexit Party votes.
    3. Con + BXP polling = Con with no dealer = Most seats.

Whether it works or not is another question but I'm guessing that is the most positive case you could make for the Tories tonight.
This discussion has been closed.