Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Maastricht Redux

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,783
    nico67 said:

The Lib Dems seem very happy about Brent in London !

OMG if Labour lose to the Lib Dems there it’s going to be a bloodbath .

Good. The Tories deserve their larger thrashing, but labour should not get away scot free.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    > @isam said:
    > I'm surprised the LDs are still 50/1 to get most seats overall on Betfair Exchange, I'd have put it at more like 20/1 or 25/1.
    >
    > BXP 1.01-1.02 now. If they don't win this will be the shortest fav turned over in political betting history wont it?

The timing of the cut to 1.01 suggests a punter coming back after watching that 2-hour documentary about tyre choice in tax havens.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

isam said:

AndyJS said:

I'm surprised the LDs are still 50/1 to get most seats overall on Betfair Exchange, I'd have put it at more like 20/1 or 25/1.

BXP 1.01-1.02 now. If they don't win this will be the shortest fav turned over in political betting history wont it?
    I don't think anyone really expects anyone other than the BXP to get most seats.
    You don't say! They're fifty on!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

The Tories effectively abstained from the EU elections - and to only a slightly lesser extent that was also true of Labour. Not quite sure why either party bothered to contest at all.

Because letting voters get into the habit of voting for someone else is a bad idea . Also to assess how bad a situation each is in. Tories will be ecstatic if they can get third, labour contend if they get second.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    AndyJS said:

> @timmo said:

> There is a possibility that the Tories wont win a seat in London from what im hearing

What are Gavin Esler's chances of winning a seat for ChangeUK?

limited
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    The early indications of a success for the Lib Dems and the disaster for labour and the conservatives will play out over the next few days and change the political landscape. Those leadership candidates on the media this weekend making their willingnes to no deal may have committed themselves too soon, when the likes of Gove and Hunt have not committed to anything relevant yet and will be able to craft their bids with the hindsight and aftermath of the EU elections very much in their minds
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    > @DecrepitJohnL said:
    > > @isam said:
    > > I'm surprised the LDs are still 50/1 to get most seats overall on Betfair Exchange, I'd have put it at more like 20/1 or 25/1.
    > >
    > > BXP 1.01-1.02 now. If they don't win this will be the shortest fav turned over in political betting history wont it?
    >
    > The timing of the cut to 1.01 suggests a punter coming back after watching that <b>2-hour documentary about tyre choice in tax havens</b>
    :lol:.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,012
    edited May 2019
    > @augustus_carp said:
    > Hag on, wait a minute.... if Labour are fourth in Cheshire and/or the North West, and BXP are top, who is in 2nd and 3rd place? Suppose Lib Dems for one of them, but who else? The Changelings? Or the Greens? Or the Tories?

The Tories I suspect, if not only the Brexit Party and LDs beat Labour but the Tories too that would be an absolutely abysmal result for Corbyn. Hard then to see Starmer not launching a leadership challenge within weeks
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,226
    If anyone was betting that turnout would reach a new record, over 38.5%, its going to be very close indeed.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    French turnout going nuts, up over 8 points to 43.2% at 5pm.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

> @augustus_carp said:

> Hag on, wait a minute.... if Labour are fourth in Cheshire and/or the North West, and BXP are top, who is in 2nd and 3rd place? Suppose Lib Dems for one of them, but who else? The Changelings? Or the Greens? Or the Tories?

The Tories I suspect, if not only the Brexit Party and LDs beat Labour but the Tories too that would be an absolutely abysmal result for Corbyn. Hard then to see Starmer not launching a leadership challenge within weeks

What price two parties get over 30%?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    > @Cicero said:
    > If anyone was betting that turnout would reach a new record, over 38.5%, its going to be very close indeed.

38.5% doesn't strike me as being that remarkable.
  • Options
    > @DecrepitJohnL said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > Looks like a Gove v Hunt final two after first MPs declarations though early days but Tory members will not be happy if both Raab and Boris are kept off the members ballot though Farage will be
    > >
    > > https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1132644004770844672?s=20
    >
    > The question around Gove, Raab and Boris is who inherits the supporters of whichever of them drops out first.
    >
    > Which means the worst-performing Brexiteer can be kingmaker and demand his own price.

True though Boris only 1 off Gove and 7 off Hunt and he should pick up most of Raab and Mcvey's support if they drop out and probably some of Javid's too
  • Options
    > @AndreaParma_82 said:
    > Austria
    > exit poll
    >
    > People's Party 34.5 (+7.5)
    > Social Democrats 23.5 (-0.7)
    > FPO 17.7 /-2.2
    > Greens 13.5 (-1)
    > NEOS 8.0 (-0.1)
    >
    > Seats
    >
    > People's Party 7 (+2)
    > Social Democrats 5 (=)
    > FPO 3 (-1)
    > Greens 2 (-1). Back to 3 after Brexit
    > NEOS 1 (=)

Great result for Kurz after his Coalition partners problems
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good afternoon, everyone.

F1: not a great race from either perspective, although the first third was entertaining. Had the threatened rain arrived I think it might've been a classic.

But then, if I found Jennifer Morrison and Olivia Wilde pillow fighting over which one of them gets to sleep with me that'd improve the day too.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > > @justin124 said:
    >
    > > I think not - history teaches us that voters have a much more frivolous attitude to EU elections. Both major parties would fare much better at a GE whatever we see tonight.
    >
    > ----
    >
    > Yep I think you are absolutely right with this and all the more so with regard to TBP. Whatever my personal views on the benefits of Brexit, TBP are a single issue party and I just don't believe they have the policies or the people to make real inroads into Parliament in terms of seats.
    >
    ---------

When an election becomes about the choice of Prime Minister, it drives votes to the main contender, and their main opponent. If Farage looks like becoming a contender, it could just cause the Tory vote to splinter.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,960
    > @DecrepitJohnL said:
    > > @HYUFD said:
    > > twitter.com/michaelgove/status/1132615012412010496?s=20
    >
    > Gove wants to "bring our country together" which sounds like a Labour election leaflet.

I like Gove but these sorts of meaningless soundbites are really annoying. I mean just look at the opposite to see how facile his comments are.

'I want to tear our country apart'.

He is going to have to do much better than this if he wants to actually win a General Election at some point.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977
    > @augustus_carp said:

Cheshire East. 3 large Con majorities and 1 Lab ultra marginal. Should imagine BP first, LD and Tories 2nd and 3rd.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    > @kle4 said:
    > The Lib Dems seem very happy about Brent in London !
    >
    >
    >
    > OMG if Labour lose to the Lib Dems there it’s going to be a bloodbath .
    >
    > Good. The Tories deserve their larger thrashing, but labour should not get away scot free.

London is the perfect place for a Libdem surge. Mixture of Libdems vs Labour battles in inner London where they have had past strength and Tory vs Libdems battles in outer south west London where libdems have recovered.

Very few councils in London where libdems have not had success in the recent past.

Which London councils could libdems actually do badly in relative to gains elsewhere?
  • Options

> @DecrepitJohnL said:

> > @HYUFD said:

>

> Gove wants to "bring our country together" which sounds like a Labour election leaflet.

I like Gove but these sorts of meaningless soundbites are really annoying. I mean just look at the opposite to see how facile his comments are.

He is going to have to do much better than this if he wants to actually win a General Election at some point.

A politician that just says what they really think in simple terms would sweep the floor. Unfortunately there are none
  • Options
    > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > The early indications of a success for the Lib Dems and the disaster for labour and the conservatives will play out over the next few days and change the political landscape. Those leadership candidates on the media this weekend making their willingnes to no deal may have committed themselves too soon, when the likes of Gove and Hunt have not committed to anything relevant yet and will be able to craft their bids with the hindsight and aftermath of the EU elections very much in their minds

Yes, but do we know that yet? A lot of rumours and anecdata so far.
  • Options
    > @isam said:
    >
    > A politician that just says what they really think in simple terms would sweep the floor. Unfortunately there are none
    -----

How about the Lib Dem slogan of "Bollocks to #####"?
  • Options
    > @williamglenn said:
    > > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > > > @justin124 said:
    > >
    > > > I think not - history teaches us that voters have a much more frivolous attitude to EU elections. Both major parties would fare much better at a GE whatever we see tonight.
    > >
    > > ----
    > >
    > > Yep I think you are absolutely right with this and all the more so with regard to TBP. Whatever my personal views on the benefits of Brexit, TBP are a single issue party and I just don't believe they have the policies or the people to make real inroads into Parliament in terms of seats.
    > >
    > ---------
    >
    > When an election becomes about the choice of Prime Minister, it drives votes to the main contender, and their main opponent. If Farage looks like becoming a contender, it could just cause the Tory vote to splinter.

Not with his baggage. At the moment people can turn a blind eye to his NHS policies for example because they can rightly say this election has nothing to do with Health policy. Give any decent spin doctor 5 minutes with what he has said in the past about policies other than the EU and he would be lucky to win a parish council.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited May 2019

Austria

exit poll

People's Party 34.5 (+7.5)
    Social Democrats 23.5 (-0.7)
    FPO 17.7 (-2.2)
    Greens 13.5 (-1)
    NEOS 8.0 (-0.1)

Seats

People's Party 7 (+2)
    Social Democrats 5 (=)
    FPO 3 (-1)
    Greens 2 (-1). Back to 3 after Brexit
    NEOS 1 (=)

That’s not an exit, just a final-week survey released after polls closed.
  • Options
    edited May 2019

> @isam said:

>

> A politician that just says what they really think in simple terms would sweep the floor. Unfortunately there are none

-----

How about the Lib Dem slogan of "Bollocks to #####"?

I don't like it, but at least it is honest I guess, and it seems to have worked

Educated people swearing angrily on demand is too contrived for me
  • Options
    My predictions from a few days ago

BXP - 32% - Low thirties is a fair way up on what UKIP got last time thanks to Tory votes, but with residual UKIP votes I'd agree with you they may not reach the dizzying heights they have threatened.

Labour - 17% - On the low side, as they have had plenty of polling in the 20s, but I am banking on their being at least some basis to some switching to the LDs, but it was pretty late in the day, and as you say they have a great habitual vote.

LD - 15% -Would more than double what they got last time, and be perfectly impressive given they have not heretofore been rewarded for their unequivocal Pro-EU stance. Pushing Labour close for second seems a fine result.

CON - 10% - I do think they will drop more than Robert thinks - the atmosphere among Tories seems to be poisonous, mutinous or depressed, so I think they will do well to stay in double figures - I think so many of their voters will be staying home.

Green - 9% - A good rise, but like the locals not grabbing headlines like the LDs, and probably just missing out on pushing the tories into 5th.

UKIP - 3% - They still managed to send a leaflet to my house which is more than anyone but BXP managed, I don't think they will do well but will hope to have enough in a single region to get something out of this

CUK - 3% - Just not breaking through, will be damn lucky to get anything out of this
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    > @isam said:
    > I'm surprised the LDs are still 50/1 to get most seats overall on Betfair Exchange, I'd have put it at more like 20/1 or 25/1.
    >
    > BXP 1.01-1.02 now. If they don't win this will be the shortest fav turned over in political betting history wont it?

You’re worrying over nothing . The BP are a nailed on certainty to win . As a Remainer if I could have found a plausible way for them not to win I’d be clinging onto it . As it is the polls might be making a dogs dinner of the other placings but the BP have polled constantly above 30%.

Put the champagne in the freezer ! I will be joining you for other reasons if Labour get hammered by the Lib Dems . As a Labour Remainer only a complete disaster will get through to the delusional Len Mcluskey and the rest of the Corbyn fan club .
  • Options
    A bit like Clinton vs TRump these UK euros.
    Remain are going to pile up huge votes in the met areas but get trounced in the leave ones where turnout is lower.
    From what i have heard Lab are going to get buried in the Met areas and that means by definition there vote share will plummet.
    Also hearing Greens will have a stonking evening.
  • Options
    > @dixiedean said:
    > > @Big_G_NorthWales said:
    > > The early indications of a success for the Lib Dems and the disaster for labour and the conservatives will play out over the next few days and change the political landscape. Those leadership candidates on the media this weekend making their willingnes to no deal may have committed themselves too soon, when the likes of Gove and Hunt have not committed to anything relevant yet and will be able to craft their bids with the hindsight and aftermath of the EU elections very much in their minds
    >
    > Yes, but do we know that yet? A lot of rumours and anecdata so far.

You are right and I should maybe have applied a caveat.

However it does look like the spotlight is going to turn on labour over the next few days with a lot of blood letting. Also we need to see how the EU electors voted and the effect on the future of the EU
  • Options
    Cicero said:

If anyone was betting that turnout would reach a new record, over 38.5%, its going to be very close indeed.

Very good. Still very low though.
  • Options
    > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    >
    > Not with his baggage. At the moment people can turn a blind eye to his NHS policies for example because they can rightly say this election has nothing to do with Health policy. Give any decent spin doctor 5 minutes with what he has said in the past about policies other than the EU and he would be lucky to win a parish council.
    -----------

You may be underestimating how much people would brush that off. One of the keys to populism is being unapologetic about criticising sacred cows, and plenty of people's direct experience of the NHS is not so great.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    The way the Con MP declarations are going it's hard to see more than six or seven candidates standing in even the first ballot.

People aren't going to want to get embarrassingly few votes.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    > @isam said:
    > > @DecrepitJohnL said:
    >
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    >
    > > > twitter.com/michaelgove/status/1132615012412010496?s=20
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Gove wants to "bring our country together" which sounds like a Labour election leaflet.
    >
    >
    >
    > I like Gove but these sorts of meaningless soundbites are really annoying. I mean just look at the opposite to see how facile his comments are.
    >
    >
    >
    > 'I want to tear our country apart'.
    >
    >
    >
    > He is going to have to do much better than this if he wants to actually win a General Election at some point.
    >

Maybe that new Vivienne Rook MP off the telly. You know, from the 4 Star party.

Actually now I think about it that might be difficult
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    Very interesting article. Thank you. The people most marginalised at the moment are those who support Brexit on constitutional and democracy grounds, but think that extracting ourselves after 46 years is bound to be long and slow. hence the thoughtful people backing some kind of 'Norway for Now' - which is still the best answer, followed some way behind by TMs deal.

At the moment the only people being listened to (apart from unicorns like official Labour policy, EU will cave in to a different leader etc) are Remain and Rapid Leave. Of the two Remain is so much the more rational that unless something big alters it must be the more likely to occur.

There has been less discussion that you might expect of this issue: If it so hard to leave the EU after 46 years, what are the snags in Scottish independence which would come to haunt us?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    https://twitter.com/sundersays/status/1132667499835777024

Note: prior to the Coalition, the Liberal Democrats were the main challengers to the Conservatives in South Cambridgeshire (see also: Totnes.)
  • Options
    augustus_carpaugustus_carp Posts: 224
    > @Black_Rook said:
    > https://twitter.com/sundersays/status/1132667499835777024
    >
    > Note: prior to the Coalition, the Liberal Democrats were the main challengers to the Conservatives in South Cambridgeshire (see also: Totnes.)

I can't remember, how did the Lib Dems manage this when Emma Nicholson crossed over in West Devon? Free ride, or what? (and would it be any different this time, bearing in mind that Nicholson re-defected back to the Tories a few years later?)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    So have they started counting the euros?
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

> @DecrepitJohnL said:

> > @HYUFD said:

>

What a tragic waste of a pun opportunity.

You mean "Gove will tear us apart... again".
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    > @FrancisUrquhart said:
    > So have they started counting the euros?

We have finally been granted permission from our EU overlords to count, yes. :p
  • Options
    > @algarkirk said:
    > Very interesting article. Thank you. The people most marginalised at the moment are those who support Brexit on constitutional and democracy grounds, but think that extracting ourselves after 46 years is bound to be long and slow. hence the thoughtful people backing some kind of 'Norway for Now' - which is still the best answer, followed some way behind by TMs deal.
    >
    > At the moment the only people being listened to (apart from unicorns like official Labour policy, EU will cave in to a different leader etc) are Remain and Rapid Leave. Of the two Remain is so much the more rational that unless something big alters it must be the more likely to occur.
    >
    > There has been less discussion that you might expect of this issue: If it so hard to leave the EU after 46 years, what are the snags in Scottish independence which would come to haunt us?

Under the right leadership, the dissolution of the UK could be an exciting opportunity for renewal for the English.

Unfortunately we presently lack any effective leadership at all.
  • Options
    All seems very silly. We vote thursday, they validate but dont count and then count sunday but dont release until the evening.
  • Options
    > @El_Capitano said:
    > > @DecrepitJohnL said:
    >
    > > > @HYUFD said:
    >
    > > > twitter.com/michaelgove/status/1132615012412010496?s=20
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Gove wants to "bring our country together" which sounds like a Labour election leaflet.
    >
    >
    >
    > I like Gove but these sorts of meaningless soundbites are really annoying. I mean just look at the opposite to see how facile his comments are.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > What a tragic waste of a pun opportunity.
    >
    > You mean "Gove will tear us apart... again".

LOL. That is brilliant :)
  • Options
    > @AndreaParma_82 said:
    > /twitter.com/RichardOsley/status/1132667250698326017

Might as well just announced the figures...
  • Options
    > @AndreaParma_82 said:
    > https://twitter.com/RichardOsley/status/1132667250698326017

There are 18 wards in Camden so Lib Dems have won 15 of them !

That must be a definite win for them there .
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Anyone know if Kilburn, Regent's Park and Somers Town have anything special about them which may explain why Labour have won there but not elsewhere, if that info is to be believed?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    > @Sean_F said:
    > Sinn Fein are taking a hammering in the Irish local elections, I'm glad to see.

Who are making gains?
  • Options
    > @Black_Rook said:
    > > @algarkirk said:
    >
    > Under the right leadership, the dissolution of the UK could be an exciting opportunity for renewal for the English.
    >
    > Unfortunately we presently lack any effective leadership at all.

This is why I think it would be a mistake for the Lib Dems to choose a Scottish unionist leader at the moment.
  • Options
    > @AndreaParma_82 said:
    > https://twitter.com/RichardOsley/status/1132667250698326017

If this is anywhere close to being representative of broader results from London - and if we then assume that the Brexit Party won't do any worse than about 20%, either (given that there are still plenty of Leavers in London, and about half-a-dozen of the outer boroughs actually voted to go) then Labour could be heading for a real shellacking.
  • Options
    The Lib Dems should not change their name , if Change MPs want to join then fine.

Their brand is recovering so Change UK need to just accept they messed up and show some humility .
  • Options
    > @RobD said:
    > > @FrancisUrquhart said:
    > > So have they started counting the euros?
    >
    > We have finally been granted permission from our EU overlords to count, yes. :p

When do they grant permission for the release of the results?
  • Options

> @AndreaParma_82 said:

>

If this is anywhere close to being representative of broader results from London - and if we then assume that the Brexit Party won't do any worse than about 20%, either (given that there are still plenty of Leavers in London, and about half-a-dozen of the outer boroughs actually voted to go) then Labour could be heading for a real shellacking.
    Mike's 7/2 bet that LD win London looking purty darn good
  • Options
    > @FrancisUrquhart said:
    > > @RobD said:
    > > > @FrancisUrquhart said:
    > > > So have they started counting the euros?
    > >
    > > We have finally been granted permission from our EU overlords to count, yes. :p
    >
    > When do they grant permission for the release of the results?

Still up for negotiation.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited May 2019
    > @nunuone said:
    > > @kle4 said:
    > > The Lib Dems seem very happy about Brent in London !
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > OMG if Labour lose to the Lib Dems there it’s going to be a bloodbath .
    > >
    > > Good. The Tories deserve their larger thrashing, but labour should not get away scot free.
    >
    > London is the perfect place for a Libdem surge. Mixture of Libdems vs Labour battles in inner London where they have had past strength and Tory vs Libdems battles in outer south west London where libdems have recovered.
    >
    > Very few councils in London where libdems have not had success in the recent past.
    >
    >
    > Which London councils could libdems actually do badly in relative to gains elsewhere?

Barking and Dagenham., Bexley, Croydon, Havering, Hillingdon, Redbridge, Enfield, Harrow, Hounslow - plenty of London boroughs where the Lib Dems have patchy to little or no support and local success. Admittedly outside the bubble - so perhaps they aren't so innately self confident!

Not that strong in Westminster, Wandsworth, K&C or Hammersmith either.

So thats only about half the boroughs!
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,122
    > @Morris_Dancer said:
    > Good afternoon, everyone.
    >
    > F1: not a great race from either perspective, although the first third was entertaining. Had the threatened rain arrived I think it might've been a classic.
    >
    > But then, if I found Jennifer Morrison and Olivia Wilde pillow fighting over which one of them gets to sleep with me that'd improve the day too.

An instinctive compromiser should always say 'no need to fight, ladies'.
  • Options
    edited May 2019

; I like Gove but these sorts of meaningless soundbites are really annoying. I mean just look at the opposite to see how facile his comments are.

> What a tragic waste of a pun opportunity.

>

> You mean "Gove will tear us apart... again".

LOL. That is brilliant :)

Surely he will use "It must be Gove" somehow in his campaign literature
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    > @Gallowgate said:
    > Anyone know if Kilburn, Regent's Park and Somers Town have anything special about them which may explain why Labour have won there but not elsewhere, if that info is to be believed?

Kilburn and Somers Town are usually two of the best areas for Labour in Camden, so it's not surprising.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,122
    > @algarkirk said:
    > Very interesting article. Thank you. The people most marginalised at the moment are those who support Brexit on constitutional and democracy grounds, but think that extracting ourselves after 46 years is bound to be long and slow. hence the thoughtful people backing some kind of 'Norway for Now' - which is still the best answer, followed some way behind by TMs deal.
    >
    > At the moment the only people being listened to (apart from unicorns like official Labour policy, EU will cave in to a different leader etc) are Remain and Rapid Leave. Of the two Remain is so much the more rational that unless something big alters it must be the more likely to occur.
    >
    > There has been less discussion that you might expect of this issue: If it so hard to leave the EU after 46 years, what are the snags in Scottish independence which would come to haunt us?

Wouldn't the UK government being manifestly crap at negotiating be the first massive snag?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

> Sinn Fein are taking a hammering in the Irish local elections, I'm glad to see.

Spendid. Small mercies at least.
  • Options
    These are my latest top 50 turnout increases . We still have loads of councils that haven’t reported yet though so a lot could still change .

Based on Strong Remain /Leave in 2016 55> or weak Remain/Leave 55<?

Strong Remain 21
    Strong Leave 11
    Weak Remain 8
    Weak Leave 10.
  • Options
    isam said:

> @AndreaParma_82 said:

>

Mike's 7/2 bet that LD win London looking purty darn good
    its nailed on...something weird happening in Enfield..
    Also i would not put a penny on the Tories winning ANY london boroughs inc Bexley and Bromley
  • Options
    BillyBlakeBillyBlake Posts: 16
    How does one leave the EU?

BY NEGOTIATION OR IF NEGOTIATION CANNOT BE REACHED BY AGREEMENT OF ONE OR BOTH PARTIES WITH NO AGREEMENT

Thats the essence of what the Lisbon Treaty says and thats whats the nodding dogs in the Labour and Liberal Democrat parties signed up to. If they were so concerned about the exit process why didn't they set it out at the time or were they so determined to sell our sovereignty down the river that they glossed over the detail?

It is not Eurosceptics fault that in their hurry to sell the UK out that Blair, Brown and their Libdem pets failed to put in place the safeguards that might have ensured a structured exit. More likely in an insidious attempt to deter nations the EU left it open so that they could sabotage any exit in a manner similar to the bad faith activities they are currently taking place in.

This article is nothing more than purile whining by those who having lost a referendum through complacent incompetence, idleness, delusion and ignorance have done nothing but acted in bad faith (as their friends in Brussels have) over a shabby ill conceived Lisbon agreement that should never have been signed in the first place.

Europhiles cannot get away with blaming their incompetence and / or mailgnance on those who wish to be free of it. It was they who supported the Lisbon Treaty and now they must own it!
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    > @nico67 said:
    > The Lib Dems should not change their name , if Change MPs want to join then fine.
    >
    > Their brand is recovering so Change UK need to just accept they messed up and show some humility .

Spoil both brands by calling the combined group "Change Lib Dems"??
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,285
    > @nico67 said:
    > These are my latest top 50 turnout increases . We still have loads of councils that haven’t reported yet though so a lot could still change .
    >
    > Based on Strong Remain /Leave in 2016 55> or weak Remain/Leave 55<?
    >
    > Strong Remain 21
    > Strong Leave 11
    > Weak Remain 8
    > Weak Leave 10.
    >
    >

To interpret these properly we'd need the numbers in each category to begin with.

The largest decreases would also be useful?
  • Options
    > @AndyJS said:
    > > @Gallowgate said:
    > > Anyone know if Kilburn, Regent's Park and Somers Town have anything special about them which may explain why Labour have won there but not elsewhere, if that info is to be believed?
    >
    > Kilburn and Somers Town are usually two of the best areas for Labour in Camden, so it's not surprising.

As I recall from my very distant Camden days, Regents Park ward is mostly one large estate.
  • Options
    > @oldpolitics said:
    > > @AndyJS said:
    > > I'm surprised the LDs are still 50/1 to get most seats overall on Betfair Exchange, I'd have put it at more like 20/1 or 25/1.
    >
    > Most seats less likely that most votes given they'll pile up votes in a minority of regions.

That was a mistake — I meant to say most votes.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210

I suspect that the most important thought encapsulated in Ms Cyclefree excellent thread is in the penultimate thread,

'The most important lesson is perhaps this: any significant change in the country’s course needs more than Parliamentary approval or passage as the legal default to gain support. It needs it from as many of those who are initially opposed or indifferent or sceptical as possible. Without it, any change will be vulnerable to its first difficulties. Without it, it will not last.'

At the moment it seems that the most comment directed at Remainers is 'You lost; suck it up!".

Which, bearing in mind that the margin was small, doesn't go a long way to unite the country. Unpopular in some quarters that a Customs Union, or May's Deal may be/have been, the fact 'remains' that a significant proportion of the public think the EU membership is, at least, quite a good idea and any government which rides roughshod over those beliefs is not going to last long.

Either that or it is going to have to find such a helping of bread and circuses to bribe enough of the electorate that it will very soon run out of money.

Thank you. I’m glad someone’s read it! :)
  • Options
    > @nico67 said:
    > The Lib Dems should not change their name , if Change MPs want to join then fine.
    >
    > Their brand is recovering so Change UK need to just accept they messed up and show some humility .

Or they could become Liberal Democrats UK? Seems fair ;)
  • Options
    augustus_carpaugustus_carp Posts: 224
    A quick anecdote from the Emerald Isle - according to RTE, Mr Patrick Sweeney received a total of one vote (that's 1 vote) in the Galway City Central ward.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    @isam - I suspect Lab and Con will be down in the doldrums together.
  • Options
    "Matteo Salvini keeps flouting the rules on electoral silence with a flurry of tweets hash-tagged #voteleaguetoday. “The Europe of finance has failed, today Italy is raising its head,” he wrote in one. “With the Democratic Party and leftwing governments, bureaucrats and bankers won.” "

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/may/26/european-elections-2019-results-eu-election-parliament-brexit-party-farage-tories-may-live
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Sunderland lose with the last kick of the game. Fantastic.
  • Options
    > @augustus_carp said:
    > A quick anecdote from the Emerald Isle - according to RTE, Mr Patrick Sweeney received a total of one vote (that's 1 vote) in the Galway City Central ward.

Well at least he remembered to vote. I assume.
  • Options
    > @brendan16 said:
    > > @nunuone said:
    > > > @kle4 said:
    > > > The Lib Dems seem very happy about Brent in London !
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > OMG if Labour lose to the Lib Dems there it’s going to be a bloodbath .
    > > >
    > > > Good. The Tories deserve their larger thrashing, but labour should not get away scot free.
    > >
    > > London is the perfect place for a Libdem surge. Mixture of Libdems vs Labour battles in inner London where they have had past strength and Tory vs Libdems battles in outer south west London where libdems have recovered.
    > >
    > > Very few councils in London where libdems have not had success in the recent past.
    > >
    > >
    > > Which London councils could libdems actually do badly in relative to gains elsewhere?
    >
    > Barking and Dagenham., Bexley, Croydon, Havering, Hillingdon, Redbridge, Enfield, Harrow, Hounslow - plenty of London boroughs where the Lib Dems have patchy to little or no support and local success. Admittedly outside the bubble - so perhaps they aren't so innately self confident!
    >
    > Not that strong in Westminster, Wandsworth, K&C or Hammersmith either.
    >
    > So thats only about half the boroughs!

The last four (certainly the three ex-Wandsworth) have the right demographic for a LibDem remain vote this time, though. If the reports from Enfield are true then Harrow would be similar. That just leaves the poorer NE, W and SE Boroughs where the LibDems are unlikely to top the poll.
  • Options
    > @MikeL said:
    > The way the Con MP declarations are going it's hard to see more than six or seven candidates standing in even the first ballot.
    >
    > People aren't going to want to get embarrassingly few votes.

They're more likely to drop out after the first round.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,250
    In an interesting turn of events, I am at the Stockon-on-Tees count!
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    > @FrancisUrquhart said:
    > > @RobD said:
    > >
    > > We have finally been granted permission from our EU overlords to count, yes. :p
    >

it's UK electoral law that dictates we can't release until 10pm. Nothing to do with the EU.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited May 2019
    Germany exit poll (ZDF)

CDU 27.5
    Greens 20.5
    SPD 15.5
    AFD 10.5
    FPD 5.5
    Linke 5.5
    Die Partei 2.5
    Freie Wähler 2
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    isam said:

I suspect that the most important thought encapsulated in Ms Cyclefree excellent thread is in the penultimate thread,

'The most important lesson is perhaps this: any significant change in the country’s course needs more than Parliamentary approval or passage as the legal default to gain support. It needs it from as many of those who are initially opposed or indifferent or sceptical as possible. Without it, any change will be vulnerable to its first difficulties. Without it, it will not last.'

At the moment it seems that the most comment directed at Remainers is 'You lost; suck it up!".

Which, bearing in mind that the margin was small, doesn't go a long way to unite the country. Unpopular in some quarters that a Customs Union, or May's Deal may be/have been, the fact 'remains' that a significant proportion of the public think the EU membership is, at least, quite a good idea and any government which rides roughshod over those beliefs is not going to last long.

Either that or it is going to have to find such a helping of bread and circuses to bribe enough of the electorate that it will very soon run out of money.

Aren't those angry at Leavers' apparent refusal to compromise aware that, for the previous decade or so, their side had completely ignored the complaints of what turned out to be over half of the country and, worse still, called them all sorts of names while they did it? Now we have had three years of non implementation of the referendum result, and anyone who dares be annoyed at those seeking to ignore that as well are the bad guys? Amazing
    I don’t think it’s a question of good or bad guys but rather of those now seeking to implement Brexit making exactly the same mistake as the pro-EU crowd did - likely with the same dismal long-term result.

You may recall that both in the lead up to the referendum and afterwards I made pretty much the same points you are making about the failure to take immigration and other concerns seriously. We do not cure those concerns by creating new ones now.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    > @IanB2 said:
    > > @nico67 said:
    > > These are my latest top 50 turnout increases . We still have loads of councils that haven’t reported yet though so a lot could still change .
    > >
    > > Based on Strong Remain /Leave in 2016 55> or weak Remain/Leave 55<?
    > >
    > > Strong Remain 21
    > > Strong Leave 11
    > > Weak Remain 8
    > > Weak Leave 10.
    > >
    > >
    >
    > To interpret these properly we'd need the numbers in each category to begin with.
    >
    > The largest decreases would also be useful?

The largest decreases are more likely to be found in Labour Leave areas at the moment .

I think apathy there is an issue . What I suspect is happening is that the BP is doing well there helped by that apathy and Labour Remainers deserting the party .

I should also add the Leave areas doing best in terms of turnout increase are generally weak Leave areas , in the current top 20 there are no strong Leave areas.

I think the BP will do well , but their national vote share will be suppressed because strongly Remain areas will narrow the margin in terms of overall votes.
  • Options
    > @nico67 said:
    > > @AndreaParma_82 said:
    > > https://twitter.com/RichardOsley/status/1132667250698326017
    >
    > There are 18 wards in Camden so Lib Dems have won 15 of them !
    >
    > That must be a definite win for them there .

Now that does seem to breach the definition of releasing results. And from a newspaper editor too!
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    > @dixiedean said:
    > > @augustus_carp said:
    > > A quick anecdote from the Emerald Isle - according to RTE, Mr Patrick Sweeney received a total of one vote (that's 1 vote) in the Galway City Central ward.
    >
    > Well at least he remembered to vote. I assume.

His vote will count though as it will be transferred to his second (or lower) choice - unlike here under FPTP where it would be totally wasted! His transfer may even decide it all!
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Die Partei stands for Party for Labour, Rule of Law, Animal Protection, Promotion of Elites and Grassroots Democratic Initiative....

Exit poll for ARD is similar

CDU/CSU-EPP: 28%
    GRÜNE-G/EFA: 22%
    SPD-S&D: 15.5%
    AfD-EFDD: 10.5%
    LINKE-LEFT: 5.5%
    FDP-ALDE: 5.5%
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,255

The early indications of a success for the Lib Dems and the disaster for labour and the conservatives will play out over the next few days and change the political landscape. Those leadership candidates on the media this weekend making their willingnes to no deal may have committed themselves too soon, when the likes of Gove and Hunt have not committed to anything relevant yet and will be able to craft their bids with the hindsight and aftermath of the EU elections very much in their minds

Could also trigger a leadership challenge on Jezza?

Or more Lab MPs jumping?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,255
    dixiedean said:

> @nico67 said:

> > @AndreaParma_82 said:

> >

>

> There are 18 wards in Camden so Lib Dems have won 15 of them !

>

> That must be a definite win for them there .

Now that does seem to breach the definition of releasing results. And from a newspaper editor too!
    A photo of the count is also a breech iirc.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Boris gone above 3 on Betfair - now 3.05. Was Evens / slightly odds on a couple of days ago.

Looks like he's going in wrong direction pretty rapidly.
  • Options
    > @rottenborough said:
    > The early indications of a success for the Lib Dems and the disaster for labour and the conservatives will play out over the next few days and change the political landscape. Those leadership candidates on the media this weekend making their willingnes to no deal may have committed themselves too soon, when the likes of Gove and Hunt have not committed to anything relevant yet and will be able to craft their bids with the hindsight and aftermath of the EU elections very much in their minds
    >
    > Could also trigger a leadership challenge on Jezza?
    >
    > Or more Lab MPs jumping?

Lets hope so
  • Options
    Greece

https://twitter.com/EuropeElects/status/1132678316698292224

XA is Golden Daw
    KKE is Communists
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    I am not sure if its a mistake (ie they have forgot about it still being live) on behalf of William hills but they are still offering 1/7 on the LDs to get more than 7 seats . The reason I think they may have forgotten is that it is under politics future odds with a load of bets about the next General election. Also 1/20 to get more than 5 seats is still live.
    Better than the bank overnight rate anyway!
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    > @augustus_carp said:
    > A quick anecdote from the Emerald Isle - according to RTE, Mr Patrick Sweeney received a total of one vote (that's 1 vote) in the Galway City Central ward.

My dear chap, it's been a long time! Trust all is well. It's been quite the reunion on here recently.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,371
    Labour still available at 9/4 for 10-14.99% on Skybet and 12/1 for <10%.

That looks like value to me.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    > @FrancisUrquhart said:
    > All seems very silly. We vote thursday, they validate but dont count and then count sunday but dont release until the evening.

I've never known such a balls up.

Classic EU! :D
  • Options
    Forecast for Germany from Infratest Dimap

CDU/CSU: 28,0
    Greens: 22,0
    SPD: 15,5
  • Options
    > @Tabman said:
    > > @FrancisUrquhart said:
    > > > @RobD said:
    > > > > @FrancisUrquhart said:
    > > > > So have they started counting the euros?
    > > >
    > > > We have finally been granted permission from our EU overlords to count, yes. :p
    > >
    > > When do they grant permission for the release of the results?
    >
    > it's UK electoral law that dictates we can't release until 10pm. Nothing to do with the EU.

It's part of the EU law that no state can release results before any other.

<i>2. Member States may not officially make public the results of their count until after the close of polling in the Member State whose electors are the last to vote within the period referred to in paragraph 1.</i>
  • Options
    > @MikeL said:
    > Boris gone above 3 on Betfair - now 3.05. Was Evens / slightly odds on a couple of days ago.
    >
    > Looks like he's going in wrong direction pretty rapidly.

Good
  • Options
    > @FrancisUrquhart said:
    > > @RobD said:
    > >
    >

Not sure why people are up tight about this. It is election to the EU Parliament. As such it seems reasonable to ensure no results are released until the last seats for the Parliament have been voted on.
This discussion has been closed.