Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Johnson now evens to succeed TMay as PM

123457»

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,820
    edited May 2019
    > @Ave_it said:
    > Looking good for BXP in Euro19
    >
    > BXP 42%
    > LD 21%
    > GRN 11%
    > LAB 8%
    > CON 6%
    > OTH 12%
    >
    > D'Hondt LAB 3 seats CON 1 seat
    >

AVEIT!!!!!!!!!!!! :open_mouth:
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    Newsnight now taking the p**s out of Francois and he doesn’t even realise.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited May 2019
    > @Sandpit said:
    > https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1132024012526235648
    >
    >
    >
    > If he’d done this level of milibanter prior to GE2015 he might have won.
    >
    > Senior politicians only ever seem to discover a sense of humour after they leave the game.
    >
    > See Ed Balls for a further example.
    >
    > They’d be much better off showing their personalities a little more while in the job.

Cameron used to make jokes but for instance he did the "vere are your papers" in a German accent and he was accused of being racist by the left in the media and left-winger MPs parliament!

On the same subject of Cameron I noticed him on the TV today and he was in a different league to the current PM on communicating a message. I doubt the Tories can get a communicator like Cameron out of the current dozen or so contenders.....
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    I sincerely hope that TM is surrounded by good friends over the coming weeks.

Tomorrow's front pages are excessively cruel.

The focus on tears was inevitable but the coverage lacks basic human compassion.

Very few people are coming out of this with any credit. Including the press
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    IanB2 said:

Newsnight: the average age of the people who will choose our next PM is 70.

Wasn’t that number shown to be fake news months ago?

The average age of Con members is around 56.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    IanB2 said:

Newsnight now taking the p**s out of Francois and he doesn’t even realise.

He is a deeply stupid man.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770

Very few people are coming out of this with any credit.

No kidding. I know I'm not, financially at the least - another referendum might be useful, I won money on the last one.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    > @IanB2 said:
    > Newsnight now taking the p**s out of Francois and he doesn’t even realise.

When I see him I always smile remembering that Cameron made him Europe Minister. The Tory form of water torture, I am surprised his blood pressure stood up to the first visit to Brussels.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    > @Sandpit said:
    > Newsnight: the average age of the people who will choose our next PM is 70.
    >
    > Wasn’t that number shown to be fake news months ago?
    >
    > The average age of Con members is around 56.

I was surprised. It is probably based on this:

https://www.bowgroup.org/news/bow-group-finds-average-age-conservative-party-member-72
  • Options
    ah009ah009 Posts: 436
    > @oxfordsimon said:
    > I sincerely hope that TM is surrounded by good friends over the coming weeks.
    >
    > Tomorrow's front pages are excessively cruel.
    >
    > The focus on tears was inevitable but the coverage lacks basic human compassion.
    >
    > Very few people are coming out of this with any credit. Including the press

She's acted monstrously and she's gotten her just rewards.
    She hasn't died. She's still healthy. She won't go hungry and she still has a job. She doesn't need our pity. Save that for the victims of her government.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    There’s zip chance of the Lib Dems winning , more chance of me joining the
    ERG fan club !

If they hit 20% that would be a fantastic result , their aim is to beat Labour .

The BP will win unless we’ve seen the biggest polling catastrophe of all time . It’s not possible with the Remain vote split to beat the BP .

It’s good as a Remainer to see some decent turnouts in those areas , so I’ll be happy with restricting the BP winning margin .

Remainers like myself need to be realistic as to what’s achievable.
  • Options
    > @oxfordsimon said:
    > I sincerely hope that TM is surrounded by good friends over the coming weeks.
    >
    > Tomorrow's front pages are excessively cruel.
    >
    > The focus on tears was inevitable but the coverage lacks basic human compassion.
    >
    > Very few people are coming out of this with any credit. Including the press

I am sorry she is upset but she has made some very bad decisions and had to be removed in the opinion of those around her. She should count herself lucky she was ever considered as a PM let alone serve as one even if it was for a short period. She can obviously dish it out but cannot tolerate to be on the receiving end of bad news. Think of all the lives she may have adversely affected through poor decisions and the implications for jobs, families and areas within the UK. I would agree the press are not coming out of this very well but it is the Brexit media who have built up Nigel Farage as a means of trying to get a No Deal Brexit....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    > @Alistair said:
    > rcs1000: can you change your Brexit Party forecast to 29.99%?
    >
    > 29.98 to be safe

Memories of SNP Scotland 49.97%
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    The PM we could have had, if the Conservative Party hadn't completely lost its marbles:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/05/24/amber-rudd-hints-would-work-boris-johnson-rules-tory-leadership
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,620
    Saw Jess Phillips on HIGNFY. She is everything that May isn't. She's also everything that Jezza isn't. We could do a lot worse.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,233
    I've just seen her speech for the first time. She filled up, turned and marched at speed into Downing Street where I expect she cried. When you feel emotional it's hard not to crack - I did a couple of weeks back during my best man speech for an old friend.

I've heard lots of negative comments today about her emotion, and seen the photos taken. She may be an utterly shit politician. But she remains a living feeling human who has continued on with her sense of duty long after most people would have quit.

She deserves our respect.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    > @Richard_Nabavi said:
    > The PM we could have had, if the Conservative Party hadn't completely lost its marbles:
    >
    > https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/05/24/amber-rudd-hints-would-work-boris-johnson-rules-tory-leadership

The person that wanted lists of immigrants employed by companies and did not have a clue how her own departments senior managements bonuses were calculated.
  • Options
    > @Richard_Nabavi said:
    > The PM we could have had, if the Conservative Party hadn't completely lost its marbles:
    >
    > https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/05/24/amber-rudd-hints-would-work-boris-johnson-rules-tory-leadership

Apart from being on the wrong side of the debate in relation to members on Brexit. Her problem would be her seat, she would have to move to a safer birth which would have very poor optics. Otherwise tactical voting would see her being defenestrated even if she 'won' the most seats in parliament for the Tories.
  • Options

The person that wanted lists of immigrants employed by companies and did not have a clue how her own departments senior managements bonuses were calculated.

I can't imagine there has ever been a minister who had a clue how departmental bonuses were calculated.
  • Options
    > @SandyRentool said:
    > Saw Jess Phillips on HIGNFY. She is everything that May isn't. She's also everything that Jezza isn't. We could do a lot worse.

Agreed . I think she’s great. her no nonsense talking style and she really connects with people , she also has a real warmth and empathy for people .

I’d happily vote for her .
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The average age of Tory members has been around 60 for a long time.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,233
    > @SandyRentool said:
    > Saw Jess Phillips on HIGNFY. She is everything that May isn't. She's also everything that Jezza isn't. We could do a lot worse.

Tough on Corbyn, Tough on the causes of Corbyn
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,620
    New thread, but we can't read it until Sunday evening. ..
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    > @SandyRentool said:

She has a human touch but I think she lacks the intellect to suceed. Clearly she is ruthlessly ambitious though so it is possible one day.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Pulpstar said:

> @Alistair said:

>

> 29.98 to be safe

Didn’t Lab get 39.99 at the 2017 GE too?
  • Options
    > @SandyRentool said:
    > New thread, but we can't read it until Sunday evening. ..

Absolutely brilliant . That’s so funny !
  • Options

Apart from being on the wrong side of the debate in relation to members on Brexit. Her problem would be her seat, she would have to move to a safer birth which would have very poor optics. Otherwise tactical voting would see her being defenestrated even if she 'won' the most seats in parliament for the Tories.

Yes, true enough. Still, just read that article, and weep. She's miles better than any of the candidates who do have a chance.
  • Options
    TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729
    Why is this EU election being seen as a kind of rerun of the referendum? The turnout is very low in comparison, there are many more options only a few of which are well defined, and the electorate is swelled by about 2.5 million EU citizens.

Also, why do people keep saying Raab doesn't know how far Dover is from Calais? He admitted that he was surprised by quite how large a percentage of our trade came through Dover. That doesn't make him a moron.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    edited May 2019
    @Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

> @Alistair said:

>

> 29.98 to be safe

Didn’t Lab get 39.99 at the 2017 GE too?
    39.9882263526249%
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770
    edited May 2019

Why is this EU election being seen as a kind of rerun of the referendum? The turnout is very low in comparison, there are many more options only a few of which are well defined, and the electorate is swelled by about 2.5 million EU citizens.

Also, why do people keep saying Raab doesn't know how far Dover is from Calais? He admitted that he was surprised by quite how large a percentage of our trade came through Dover. That doesn't make him a moron.

For the first, because depending on the result it suits the political aims of various sides to treat it that way, and dismiss it as such if it does not.

For the second, at the most generous interpretation he said something which because easily mockable, it happens to politicians, and they or their backers crying about that won't find a great deal of sympathy because of what I personally consider a golden rule of politics in determining how reasonable a politician is when being defensive, which is would they extend the courtesy of providing full context and absolutely accurate quoting to an opponent of theirs before they leaped in with the criticism? I doubt it.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,338
    > @RochdalePioneers said:
    > I've just seen her speech for the first time. She filled up, turned and marched at speed into Downing Street where I expect she cried. When you feel emotional it's hard not to crack - I did a couple of weeks back during my best man speech for an old friend.
    >
    > I've heard lots of negative comments today about her emotion, and seen the photos taken. She may be an utterly shit politician. But she remains a living feeling human who has continued on with her sense of duty long after most people would have quit.
    >
    > She deserves our respect.

+1
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002
    Scott_P said:
    Where was Memelord Ed when we needed him?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    > @NickPalmer said:
    > > @RochdalePioneers said:
    > > I've just seen her speech for the first time. She filled up, turned and marched at speed into Downing Street where I expect she cried. When you feel emotional it's hard not to crack - I did a couple of weeks back during my best man speech for an old friend.
    > >
    > > I've heard lots of negative comments today about her emotion, and seen the photos taken. She may be an utterly shit politician. But she remains a living feeling human who has continued on with her sense of duty long after most people would have quit.
    > >
    > > She deserves our respect.
    >
    > +1

One part of you feels sorry for her and the other remembers that this is the same person who sent vans round immigrant areas saying "Go Home".
This discussion has been closed.