Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On Euro election day it looks as though it is all over for the

123457»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

> @ah009 said:

> Jeremy unt:

> "Theresa May will be prime minister to welcome [Trump] and rightly so."

>

> Maybe nobody wants to be left looking after the baby. Perhaps Leadsom should do it?

After all, she is a mother!

Boris would love to do it.

Yeh Gods. This is one of the responsibilities of being in Cabinet. Get a grip.

Quite right. We all know she needs to go, but if they wont show any spine no wonder she hasn't yet.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    > > @Theuniondivvie said:

> > https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1131516257138876421

So she's removed the barricades from the door and started seeing people again?

Now's the time for the Cabinet take their chance. :D
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Please make it end....

Theresa May has indicated she is willing to change her 'new' Brexit deal in order to stay in Number 10, despite facing growing calls to quit from her MPs.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    edited May 2019
    > @IanB2 said:
    > > @ah009 said:
    > > > @Scrapheap_as_was said:
    > > > Been driving around a lot of the Burbs - Oxhey, Berkhamsted, St A for an example in recent days and I can't remember signs for anyone other than the yellow (orange as it happens) peril...
    > > >
    > > > I'm expecting them to do far better on the upside....
    > >
    > > It started before the council elections. SE England, NW England too. Lib Dem garden boards up all over. One or two Greens. A large Tory poster in a field, and some "Let's Go WTO" nonsense next to the M40. If residential boards were votes, this would be a Lib Dem landslide.
    > > Usual SNP stuff in Scotland, but I've not spent much time there recently and there were no council elections this month.
    >
    > On the other hand it seems the LibDems have struggled to do a freepost in some areas?

I don't think that I have seen a single poster from anybody in Scotland. Last weekend there was an SNP and Brexit Party presence in Dundee City Centre with an EU flag and some leaflets and we have had a few leaflets to the house (5 max, I think) but it has been a complete non campaign. I am still expecting quite a low turnout.

Eventually, with the help of an emergency proxy, I have voted today and decided to stick with the Tories as I continue to support May's deal even although it has no chance of succeeding. I don't think that I have ever voted less enthusiastically for anything in my life, even by proxy.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

nico67 said:

Weren’t we expecting a poll from Ipsos Mori ?

I thought that was going to be out in the morning .

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/1131515877516554245
    Tories 5th?? :lol:
    Could have been worse before CUK lost out to lds.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,797
    > @JosiasJessop said:
    > > @isam said:
    >
    > > Farage obviously meant that there had been some kind of "revolution" won at the ballot box rather than through armed struggle. He apologised for the comment about ten minutes later
    >
    >
    >
    > He still made the comment. No apology can ever unmake it. It was a glimpse into his lack of concern for what had happened. But to me it wasn't a surprise. He's clearly a person whose ideological stance is more important than his humanity. He's not alone in that, but people like him are dangerous. Very dangerous.
    >
    > At least we aren't into very VERY dangerous territory :D
    >
    > Cynics might notice how frequently Nige says something controversial, and then rapidly apologises. It's almost as if he does it on purpose, to attract those lovely people who agree with his first statement, and to allow his defenders to say: "Ah, but he apologised/clarified..."

I don't know about Farage, but that is a very Trumpian characteristic (though in his case rowing back, rather than apologies, which he doesn't do at all).

"Some people say..." is also a favoured formulation.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    nico67 said:

Interesting in the Ipsos Mori .

In the headline figure they just include those definite to vote 10/10.

If they include all who expressed an opinion the BP lead drops to 9 points .

The BP then on 29 v Lib Dems 20.

The one caveat with this poll , there could be an element of the shy vote .

UKIP voters were not shy, why would Brexit party voters be?
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    There are still some good prices on BP to land between 25-29.99%. You can still get 8/1 which is a massively good value bet imho.

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/european-politics/european-parliament-elections/brexit-party-vote-percentage?selectionName=25-00-29-99pp

Incidentally, I see that you can also get 3-1 on a second referendum. That's a shout, surely?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    > @Richard_Nabavi said:
    > Who's going to take the temp jobs, if it buggers their chances with the new PM?
    >
    > Someone who has no chance with any new PM, but wants a ringside seat in the meantime?

So the dross then.

No shortage of candidates.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    > @Mysticrose said:
    > There are still some good prices on BP to land between 25-29.99%. You can still get 8/1 which is a massively good value bet imho.
    >
    > https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/european-politics/european-parliament-elections/brexit-party-vote-percentage?selectionName=25-00-29-99pp
    >
    > Incidentally, I see that you can also get 3-1 on a second referendum. That's a shout, surely?

Before the end of the year? You might as well take the 55/1 on Lib Dems winning today
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Things are very quiet in West Devon.

Having seen the ballot paper I am sure that a non zero number of people will have intended to vote Chuk but will assume that the lack of a logo implies that they are non-runners. It's otherwise quite hard to explain if you don't know the answer, and there's nobody to ask for clarification.
  • Options
    > @Mysticrose said:
    > There are still some good prices on BP to land between 25-29.99%. You can still get 8/1 which is a massively good value bet imho.
    >
    > https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/european-politics/european-parliament-elections/brexit-party-vote-percentage?selectionName=25-00-29-99pp
    >

I personally think they will do a bit better than that. Mid 30s at a guess.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    > @Alistair said:
    > Interesting in the Ipsos Mori .
    >
    >
    >
    > In the headline figure they just include those definite to vote 10/10.
    >
    >
    >
    > If they include all who expressed an opinion the BP lead drops to 9 points .
    >
    >
    >
    > The BP then on 29 v Lib Dems 20.
    >
    >
    >
    > The one caveat with this poll , there could be an element of the shy vote .
    >
    > UKIP voters were not shy, why would Brexit party voters be?

This is the opposite effect: the loudmouth voter.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    MTimT said:

> @kle4 said:

> Poor little Tinkerbell

>

>

>

>

>

> These 'belief is all you need' types scare me.

Belief is not all you need. But nothing works without belief. Even AA didn't work until they added it.

Just because it is not sufficient does not mean it is not necessary.
    The way it has the focus of criticism make it clear these types believe all would have been well if only certain people believed enough. Thats just plain wrong, and is transparently an excuse to make a complicated issue simple in it being one non believers fault.

The vast majority of the Tory party agreed with may in the end and voted for her deal. If the others had done so we would be out now. She clearly believed in Brexit because she delivered it to them. A crap Brexit to many but even boris and JRM agreedit was Brexit.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014
    > @Nigelb said:
    > > @Richard_Tyndall said:
    > > > @JosiasJessop said:
    > > > > @MikeSmithson said:
    > > >
    > > > > > @Floater said:
    > > >
    > > > > > https://order-order.com/2019/05/23/brexit-party-teller-attacked-milkshake/
    > > >
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > > > What a pity there wasn't the same concern about Jo Cox or the female MP threatened by Brexit thugs outside the commons.
    > > >
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > 1. There was huge concern about Jo Cox.
    > > >
    > > > 2. You must live in a pretty warped world where you consider verbal attacks - however wrong that might be - to be on a par with actual physical assaults.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > All attacks are wrong but your whataboutism is pretty sickening.
    > > >
    > > > Repeated verbal attacks: e.g. "I'll kill you!" can easily be on a par - or worse - than throwing a milkshake over someone. Both can lead to fear of repeated or real attacks.
    > > >
    > > > To make it clear: both are wrong and should be condemned.
    > >
    > > I agree. But I was not aware that the verbal assaults on Anna Soubry - as wrong as they were - involved actual threats to her person. The idiot concerned was arrested for public order offences not for threats.
    > >
    > > So again there is a large element of whataboutism in Mike's arguments.
    >
    > They did:
    > https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/man-convicted-over-death-threats-to-remainer-mp-anna-soubry-gwkn8jq3w

And he went to jail as he should.

But of course as you well know this is not what Mike was referring to as this was an online idiot not the bloke arrested outside Parliament for calling Soubry a Nazi.

Still desperate whataboutism from the Remainers trying to defend the indefensible. I think all physical attacks on MPs or public figures are wrong no matter who they are. Are you willing to say the same thing?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    A quick post to say how pleased I am many posters today have voted Conservative as I did last week by post. This is one lection when I hope the polls get it very very wrong! :)
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Interesting in the Ipsos Mori .

In the headline figure they just include those definite to vote 10/10.

If they include all who expressed an opinion the BP lead drops to 9 points .

The BP then on 29 v Lib Dems 20.

The one caveat with this poll , there could be an element of the shy vote .

For whom?
  • Options
    > @rottenborough said:
    > So, she's staying:
    >
    > https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1131522471197331456

Yep. She is going to sack her whole cabinet, prorogue Parliament and rule from the Iron Throne.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    > @Brom said:

> >
    > > Incidentally, I see that you can also get 3-1 on a second referendum. That's a shout, surely?
    >
    > Before the end of the year?

No Bet365 have 3/1 on a 2nd Referendum. As far as I can see that's without time limit?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Assuming someone accepts the offer of the Leader of the House job, they're unlikely to be in post that long, which makes me wonder what the shortest tenure for a Cabinet minister is?

I know David Laws only lasted 17 days in post, but has anyone resigned, been sacked, or moved after a shorter period of time?
  • Options
    > @kle4 said:
    > > @kle4 said:
    >
    > > Poor little Tinkerbell
    >
    > >
    >
    > > https://twitter.com/aljwhite/status/1131454761516056576
    >
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > These 'belief is all you need' types scare me.
    >
    >
    >
    > Belief is not all you need. But nothing works without belief. Even AA didn't work until they added it.
    >
    >
    >
    > Just because it is not sufficient does not mean it is not necessary.
    >
    > The way it has the focus of criticism make it clear these types believe all would have been well if only certain people believed enough. Thats just plain wrong, and is transparently an excuse to make a complicated issue simple in it being one non believers fault.
    >
    > The vast majority of the Tory party agreed with may in the end and voted for her deal. If the others had done so we would be out now. She clearly believed in Brexit because she delivered it to them. A crap Brexit to many but even boris and JRM agreedit was Brexit.

If she believed in it why didn't she vote for it?
  • Options
    ah009ah009 Posts: 436
    edited May 2019
    > @DavidL said:
    > > @IanB2 said:
    > > > @ah009 said:
    > > > > @Scrapheap_as_was said:
    > > > > Been driving around a lot of the Burbs - Oxhey, Berkhamsted, St A for an example in recent days and I can't remember signs for anyone other than the yellow (orange as it happens) peril...
    > > > >
    > > > > I'm expecting them to do far better on the upside....
    > > >
    > > > It started before the council elections. SE England, NW England too. Lib Dem garden boards up all over. One or two Greens. A large Tory poster in a field, and some "Let's Go WTO" nonsense next to the M40. If residential boards were votes, this would be a Lib Dem landslide.
    > > > Usual SNP stuff in Scotland, but I've not spent much time there recently and there were no council elections this month.
    > >
    > > On the other hand it seems the LibDems have struggled to do a freepost in some areas?
    >
    > I don't think that I have seen a single poster from anybody in Scotland. Last weekend there was an SNP and Brexit Party presence in Dundee City Centre with an EU flag and some leaflets and we have had a few leaflets to the house (5 max, I think) but it has been a complete non campaign. I am still expecting quite a low turnout.
    >
    > Eventually, with the help of an emergency proxy, I have voted today and decided to stick with the Tories as I continue to support May's deal even although it has no chance of succeeding. I don't think that I have ever voted less enthusiastically for anything in my life, even by proxy.

I applaud you for putting in the effort to get that proxy. And well done too for sticking with your choices even if you feel that they aren't popular. I think we'd all be in a better place if we voted closest to our beliefs instead of pinching our noses and voting for something we knew we didn't like just for tactical reasons.
  • Options

> @kle4 said:

> > @kle4 said:

>

> > Poor little Tinkerbell

>

> >

>

> >

>

>

>

> >

>

> >

>

> >

>

> > These 'belief is all you need' types scare me.

>

>

>

> Belief is not all you need. But nothing works without belief. Even AA didn't work until they added it.

>

>

>

> Just because it is not sufficient does not mean it is not necessary.

>

> The way it has the focus of criticism make it clear these types believe all would have been well if only certain people believed enough. Thats just plain wrong, and is transparently an excuse to make a complicated issue simple in it being one non believers fault.

>

> The vast majority of the Tory party agreed with may in the end and voted for her deal. If the others had done so we would be out now. She clearly believed in Brexit because she delivered it to them. A crap Brexit to many but even boris and JRM agreedit was Brexit.

If she believed in it why didn't she vote for it?
    She believed in it afterwards as years of effort showed. You are demanding only those who voted the right way initially be able to lead? What if that person were a soft leaver?
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    felix said:

A quick post to say how pleased I am many posters today have voted Conservative as I did last week by post. This is one lection when I hope the polls get it very very wrong! :)

They dont deserve it, but coin toss vs CUK went their way (ld lost to cuk to get to final two)
  • Options
    > @ah009 said:
    > > @DavidL said:
    > > > @IanB2 said:
    > > > > @ah009 said:
    > > > > > @Scrapheap_as_was said:
    > > > > > Been driving around a lot of the Burbs - Oxhey, Berkhamsted, St A for an example in recent days and I can't remember signs for anyone other than the yellow (orange as it happens) peril...
    > > > > >
    > > > > > I'm expecting them to do far better on the upside....
    > > > >
    > > > > It started before the council elections. SE England, NW England too. Lib Dem garden boards up all over. One or two Greens. A large Tory poster in a field, and some "Let's Go WTO" nonsense next to the M40. If residential boards were votes, this would be a Lib Dem landslide.
    > > > > Usual SNP stuff in Scotland, but I've not spent much time there recently and there were no council elections this month.
    > > >
    > > > On the other hand it seems the LibDems have struggled to do a freepost in some areas?
    > >
    > > I don't think that I have seen a single poster from anybody in Scotland. Last weekend there was an SNP and Brexit Party presence in Dundee City Centre with an EU flag and some leaflets and we have had a few leaflets to the house (5 max, I think) but it has been a complete non campaign. I am still expecting quite a low turnout.
    > >
    > > Eventually, with the help of an emergency proxy, I have voted today and decided to stick with the Tories as I continue to support May's deal even although it has no chance of succeeding. I don't think that I have ever voted less enthusiastically for anything in my life, even by proxy.
    >
    > I applaud you for putting in the effort to get that proxy. And well done too for sticking with your choices even if you feel that they aren't popular. I think we'd all be in a better place if we voted closest to our beliefs instead of pinching our noses and voting for something we knew we didn't like just for tactical reasons.

Thank you. There is an interesting subplot in Scotland in that quite a number of SNP supporters actually voted to leave. What they do today, whether leaving or the SNP is the more important to them, will determine whether the SNP get that third seat. I suspect enough will stick with the party looking at the bigger picture but it might be close. Some might just be tempted to lend their vote to the Brexit party.

Incidentally, my better half, who was minded to vote TBP earlier because she was so annoyed at the determination to block Brexit also decided to vote Tory in the end. She wants Brexit but she wants a deal too. We are both going to be disappointed one way or another.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,322
    > @ah009 said:
    > https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1131509425515192320
    >
    > This is why we need feminism. Women can be useless too, and this PM deserves to be flung from power with no pity or ceremony. Her gender should not be an issue. Let her be treated exactly as a man with the same record would be.

Alternatively:
    This is why we need feminism. Then the Cabinet and 22 committee wouldn't be so overwhelmingly male as to cause any problem with the optics of them with flinging a woman out. (not that I think this is really the reason why they haven't managed to fling her out, it's just more whining).
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Indian elections really are something. BJP to win a majority, albeit a slim one - but the other 45% of seats are split between 25 parties!

If you google "indian elections" it will give your a semicircle showing...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    DavidL said:

> @El_Capitano said:

> I took my two year old to the polling station this morning. Explained that I had to write X next to the people and picture I liked the best, etc., and then I put my X next to the pretty picture of a bird. Cue instant protest: “NO I want to choose a better one.” Oops.

>

> #votesat2

Smart kid. I trust you listened.

I was talking to my 7 year old the other day about making buildings out of ice cream

Mentioned the White House

“Donald Trump lives there doesn’t he? People don’t like him very much.”

Out of the mouth of babes...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,426
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

> @El_Capitano said:

> I took my two year old to the polling station this morning. Explained that I had to write X next to the people and picture I liked the best, etc., and then I put my X next to the pretty picture of a bird. Cue instant protest: “NO I want to choose a better one.” Oops.

>

> #votesat2

Smart kid. I trust you listened.

I was talking to my 7 year old the other day about making buildings out of ice cream

Mentioned the White House

“Donald Trump lives there doesn’t he? People don’t like him very much.”

Out of the mouth of babes...
    I hope you told her that he is the GREATEST President EVER!!!! BAR NONE!
  • Options
    > @Charles said:
    > https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1131520678820233217
    >
    >
    >
    > Zombies?

They're on the inside Charles.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,072
    isam said:

isam said:

ah009 said:

> @isam said:

> Farage obviously meant that there had been some kind of "revolution" won at the ballot box rather than through armed struggle. He apologised for the comment about ten minutes later

He still made the comment. No apology can ever unmake it. It was a glimpse into his lack of concern for what had happened. But to me it wasn't a surprise. He's clearly a person whose ideological stance is more important than his humanity. He's not alone in that, but people like him are dangerous. Very dangerous.

At least we aren't into very VERY dangerous territory :D
    Cynics might notice how frequently Nige says something controversial, and then rapidly apologises. It's almost as if he does it on purpose, to attract those lovely people who agree with his first statement, and to allow his defenders to say: "Ah, but he apologised/clarified..."
    In this case it was after Leave had just won the referendum and shortly before he resigned, so cynics would be barking up the wrong tree... 😊
    Old habits evidently die hard for Nige. Besides, that timing is irrelevant give the absolute shitness of his comment.
  • Options
    > @DavidL said:
    > Thank you. There is an interesting subplot in Scotland in that quite a number of SNP supporters actually voted to leave. What they do today, whether leaving or the SNP is the more important to them, will determine whether the SNP get that third seat. I suspect enough will stick with the party looking at the bigger picture but it might be close. Some might just be tempted to lend their vote to the Brexit party.

I don't see that as any different to Lib Dem leavers, Conservative remainers, etc. It's the same subplot at play in almost every party. There are even Ukip remainers.

It's only TBP who are immune from this, only because nobody's ever voted for them before.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    DavidL said:

> @Charles said:

>

>

>

>

> Zombies?

They're on the inside Charles.
    That was my point.... it’s a containment action.... sigh.

Hope all ok? Why the emergency proxy?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446
    matt said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    These 'belief is all you need' types scare me.
    Given the lack of coherent answers to difficult questions from pro-Brussels-types, its fairly rational to conclude that it has the characteristics of a religion.
    :innocent:
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    > @ah009 said:
    > > @DavidL said:
    > > Thank you. There is an interesting subplot in Scotland in that quite a number of SNP supporters actually voted to leave. What they do today, whether leaving or the SNP is the more important to them, will determine whether the SNP get that third seat. I suspect enough will stick with the party looking at the bigger picture but it might be close. Some might just be tempted to lend their vote to the Brexit party.
    >
    > I don't see that as any different to Lib Dem leavers, Conservative remainers, etc. It's the same subplot at play in almost every party. There are even Ukip remainers.
    >
    > It's only TBP who are immune from this, only because nobody's ever voted for them before.

Anecdote: "Everybody" my Dudley colleague knows is voting for 'The Brexit Party' "even the remainers..."
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,978

> @rottenborough said:

> So, she's staying:

>

>

Yep. She is going to sack her whole cabinet, prorogue Parliament and rule from the Iron Throne.
    Rory Stewart is no Drogon, and Theresa May is no Danerys.

Although @Big_G_NorthWales is Ser Jorah ... :)
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446

Indian elections really are something. BJP to win a majority, albeit a slim one - but the other 45% of seats are split between 25 parties!

If you google "indian elections" it will give your a semicircle showing...

http://results.eci.gov.in/pc/en/partywise/index.htm
  • Options
    > @Charles said:
    > > @Charles said:
    >
    > > https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1131520678820233217
    >
    >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > >
    >
    > > Zombies?
    >
    >
    >
    > They're on the inside Charles.
    >
    > That was my point.... it’s a containment action.... sigh.
    >
    > Hope all ok? Why the emergency proxy?

Yes everything fine. I was expecting to be able to vote in the normal way before coming through for my court case this morning but unexpected developments meant I had to be through here last night instead and I am staying overnight so no chance to vote.

Have to say that Angus Council were extremely efficient in dealing with this today.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    @Dura_Ace

On the BMW i3 thank you.
  • Options
    After the earlier talk about _voting_ proxies, I was thinking about proxies in a slightly different way:

What proxies do you use for political opinions?

For me, I always assume that:
    - dog owners are a bit on the authoritarian side.
    - People who own small speedy cars are non-voters.
    - Taxi drivers are racist.
    - Ugly successful people are centrist Tories.
    - BMW drivers are relatively leftie ((for their income bracket and age!))

These assumptions are almost certainly utter bollocks (except the taxi driver one) and probably offensive to some, but I nevertheless have them as my gut reactions when I meet those people. I thought I'd share them so you can all rebuke me or share your proxies / prejudices.
  • Options
    Did one of those 'who should I vote for' sites. No strong match with anyone, surprisingly close with only 4 points between cuk, Tory, lab and Green. Lds sneaking top though.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324

I'm sure all the milkshakers are very proud now.
    Is that picture even genuine? His head looks like it's been photoshopped on.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    > @Stark_Dawning said:
    > https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1131513167975256064
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I'm sure all the milkshakers are very proud now.
    >
    > Is that picture even genuine? His head looks like it's been photoshopped on.

https://order-order.com/2019/05/23/brexit-party-teller-attacked-milkshake/#disqus_thread
This discussion has been closed.