Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The chaos continues as MPs reject all options Brexit

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

Scott_P said:
    You're quoting Parody Accounts now?

Some April Fool.
    He'd probably say the same thing, to be fair.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,260
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:
    Any spread market on the majority at the end of the week?
    Newport is this week right?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Floater said:

kle4 said:

Does this mean I need to head back to CostCo for a years supply of bog roll?

You haven't already stocked up? Ooh boy, you will be shit out of luck I am afraid.
    Last time, after convincing myself that no-deal was off the table, I managed to distract Mrs U with some offers on booze rather than fill the car with boring stuff like bog-roll.

I think I might have made a bit of a boo-boo....
    Relax ffs - this isn't the end of the world.
    Well I still have the bunker in the back garden that I made after Orange man got elected. So when the riots start, I can hide away ;-)
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Scott_P said:

Some April Fool.
    Didn't we assess that going forward you will need a credit card in order to watch Teresa May (no "h") videos?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215
    So the ERG are even closer now to winning, aren’t they? No Deal inches closer. Barely a week to go.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

They both need to find a position they can agree. May takes the blame because she has not moved a millimetre. Corbyn has moved.

He has gradually moved further away from the government's position. That's hardly seeking compromise.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Skinner voted in favor of that one and to Clarke's motion, abstained on Bole's and Cherry's motions.

Pulpstar said:

Lab ex mining constituencies say "No" to a people's vote:

Rother Valley, Blyth Valley, Rotherham, West Lancashire, Dagenham, Don Valley, Makerfield, North Tyneside, Jarrow, Vauxhall, Barnsley Central, Warrington North, North Durham, South Shields, Bassetlaw, Easington, Barnsley East, Stoke North, Crewe, Stoke Central, Blackley, Halton.

Not Bolsover??
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    Pulpstar said:

Rother Valley, Blyth Valley, Rotherham, West Lancashire, Dagenham, Don Valley, Makerfield, North Tyneside, Jarrow, Vauxhall, Barnsley Central, Warrington North, North Durham, South Shields, Bassetlaw, Easington, Barnsley East, Stoke North, Crewe, Stoke Central, Blackley, Halton.

It might be interesting to see how many of those have local MPs and how many have parachuted in outsiders as MPs.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

TOPPING said:

God Mark Francois is a twat. I mean no news there but god he is.

This whole process has really exposed a lot of twats in the HoC.
    Who are almost as bad a the twats in the cabinet.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

May, once again, caused this by forcing her cabinet to abstain and not using the whip to back a compromise.

Rubbish, she gave the party a free vote. More than can be said for Labour MPs when the PM's deal comes to the house. Labour are cowards who want no deal.
    May can be criticised for many things, but allowing her junior ministers and MP's to vote as they wish is not one of them.
    Exactly, it's absolutely hilarious as a criticism. Previously @Jonathan has been blaming her for not listening and trying to force her view of things on MPs. Now he's criticising her for letting MPs say what they want rather than telling them what to do.
    She ain’t listening. It’s just more brinkmanship in pursuit of her lousy deal. She could end this at any time, by whipping either of today’s top options. She doesn’t because she would lose her right wing. It’s carefully constructed.
    No, it's totally unreasonable to expect a government to whip against its own policy. Allowing a free vote is as much as one can reasonably expect.
    When the policy has been defeated three times you friggin’ change it.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,257
    edited April 2019
    I've got it.

Put the various options into numbered boxes. Have MPs vote on which box to open. Noel Fucking Edmonds can open the chosen box, reveal the rejected option, and then Monsieur Barnier can call up to offer a deal based on the remaining options
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

May, once again, caused this by forcing her cabinet to abstain and not using the whip to back a compromise.

Rubbish, she gave the party a free vote. More than can be said for Labour MPs when the PM's deal comes to the house. Labour are cowards who want no deal.
    May can be criticised for many things, but allowing her junior ministers and MP's to vote as they wish is not one of them.
    Indeed. It's a completely stupid argument from Labour supporters. Asking the government to whip in favour of positions it opposes whilst similarly offering nothing close to that on the government's position.

Labour MPs are signing the no deal paperwork along with the ERG, they will get the blame. Especially now that Parliament has rejected all other options.

Labour will get next to no blame. They should do, but the Tories will own No Deal.

We won't, our party has tried to ram it through parliament three times, our PM offered her resignation to get it done. We've done our part. Labour will take the hit, especially given that it's their voters that oppose no deal the most and they have consistently voted against the deal on offer which avoids no deal.
    I think that is the only way the tories can survive this.

For the Marxists it is all about getting power - nothing else matters
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    Drutt said:

I've a great deal of sympathy for Boles and I don't think you could doubt he's been trying to find compromise of sorts in reasonably good faith. Still, must be tough quitting to become an Independent only to find that the independent group all voted against you and you have to sit on your own.
    isn't a progressive conservative a contradiction?
  • Options

kle4 said:

You haven't already stocked up? Ooh boy, you will be shit out of luck I am afraid.
    My mother, who is veteran stockpiler from the 1970s, when we last tried to burn our own country to the ground, informs me that the main toilet paper manufacturers have an enormous stockpile ready.

Brie is another matter.
    Might double up the Sainsbo's delivery again this week. Don't want to run low on pineapple.
    Very wise.

I have been astonished that the panic buying has not started.

Clearly, that's my age, and vast majority under 55 think the old just in time supply system is the god given right of any free born englishman who has a wifi connection.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Pulpstar said:

Not Bolsover??
    Abstention
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

FF43 said:

Jonathan said:

May certainly holds a degree of (ir)responsibility by trying to undermine the process, rather than attempting to find a consensus and a way forward.
    She needs to adopt a compromise position for the govt. it’s quite straightforward really.
    But it's ok for others not to compromise, got it.
    Corbyn has moved. Hell, even half the ERG moved. The only person who has not moved is May.
    Except she did on the WA without the PD. And she did by seeking further assurances from the EU on it. Nice try.

May definitely should do as you say and pick something else. We know why she hasn't, because her party is split down the middle. But to blame her for parliament's own choice not to pick something is a step too far, it is infantilising them, and blaming the whip is absurd when so many have defied the whip constantly.

Nothing stopped MPs from all sides coming together on something tonight, no matter what May said. She has earned her condemnation many times over, tonight was on them though.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Indeed. It's a completely stupid argument from Labour supporters. Asking the government to whip in favour of positions it opposes whilst similarly offering nothing close to that on the government's position.

Labour MPs are signing the no deal paperwork along with the ERG, they will get the blame. Especially now that Parliament has rejected all other options.

Labour will get next to no blame. They should do, but the Tories will own No Deal.

We won't, our party has tried to ram it through parliament three times, our PM offered her resignation to get it done. We've done our part. Labour will take the hit, especially given that it's their voters that oppose no deal the most and they have consistently voted against the deal on offer which avoids no deal.
    Total horsesh*t. Your party is in power and therefore has a responsibility to govern. It is not governing. It was clear at Christmas that the deal is no good and your party has wasted 3 f*cking months and for what?

The government will go down in history, not the opposition.
    Our voters want no deal by a significant majority. I don't agree with the position, but the Venn diagram between the 40-45% of no deal supporters and the 35-40% that we get in the polls is almost concentric. It's Labour voters that want to avoid no deal and it's the Labour party that kepos voting down the deal on offer.
  • Options
    I would assume the ERG are on top of the world tonight as the legislation to stop no deal and approve our participation in the EU elections will not receive royal assent by a week on friday

TM attending the EU brexit crisis meeting on the 10th April will have the EU in a spin and the Irish Border will become the EU and Varadkar's worst nightmare, as they either put up a border or agree to no borders as predicted by the ERG and DUP

I would expect some form of transistion to no deal

It is more than possible, but equally HMG could have fallen in the meantime

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    MaxPB said:

She just offered the WA with no strings attached. How is that not movement?!

Not only that but the EU has made it clear that whatever final deal we do want, we still need to pass the bloody WA first. It is nuts that Parliament doesn't seem to grasp this.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,835

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Exactly, it's absolutely hilarious as a criticism. Previously @Jonathan has been blaming her for not listening and trying to force her view of things on MPs. Now he's criticising her for letting MPs say what they want rather than telling them what to do.
    She ain’t listening. It’s just more brinkmanship in pursuit of her lousy deal. She could end this at any time, by whipping either of today’s top options. She doesn’t because she would lose her right wing.
    Err, you don't seem to have quite taken into account the fact that Corbyn could have ended this at any time (since November) by whipping his MPs to back the deal which is actually on the table, or even giving them a free vote. After all the deal on the table is almost exactly consistent with Labour's stated policy. So I'd be interested in your justification for blaming her and not him for the impasse.
    They both need to find a position they can agree. May takes the blame because she has not moved a millimetre. Corbyn has moved.
    He's moved towards her position? Really?
    Corbyn will offer anything and everything, except for anything that would be accepted or would in any way prevent No Deal. He is Leave's most doughty defender.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

kle4 said:

I know it's their raison d'etre, and there is some righteous anger that Scotland very much does not want Brexit, but is 'disrespected' the right word? Their votes were not disrespected, they were defeated, those are not the same thing.

SNP's Westminster leader Ian Blackford said the Commons needed to find consensus and work together.

He said a "vast majority" of Scottish MPs voted to revoke Article 50, to back a second referendum and to stay in the single market and customs union.

He said it was "crystal clear that our votes in this house are disrespected".

He says the day is coming "where we'll determine our future and it will be as an independent country".

Shame Scots were too frit to take their future in their hands last time. No wonder it irks the SNP so much to have lost 2/2 referenda - the Scots are too frit to be independent but the UK isn't. Tough.
    Hey Scottish Unionists, your fellow Brits think you're cowards, bottlers and frit. How's about them apples?
    You mean you don't?

[I backed SINDY in 2014. I think Scotland will grow up on its own 2 feet and we'll be better siblings and neighbours than we are together]
  • Options

Everybody blaming the House of Commons, wrongly in my view.

The country is very divided, and many on both sides are deeply entrenched in their opinion. Moreover the tectonic plates of opinion are no longer reflected by the political parties. Given Given the curve ball the electorate threw them, they could have made a better job , but it was never going to be easy. In retrospect something like this was almost inevitable. Gina Miller is possibly the one to blame. Prophets of doom should lighten up

We have these periodic convulsions when the system re-aligns to changes in the country - Fox-North Coalition and Pitt in the 1780's, Liberal split in the 1880's, Labour replacing the Liberals in the 20's. This is just another. They are messy but 10 years later we will be asking "What was all that stuff and nonsense about?"

FWIW I just can't see the logical steps that need to be gone through to meet the FTPA and so bring about a fresh election. Not least because of how it interacts with the timings for a Tory leadership election

Yes it is not easy, nor should it be. But it should not be beyond them to pick something. They've had multiple goes on everything.
  • Options
    nielh said:

Drutt said:

I've a great deal of sympathy for Boles and I don't think you could doubt he's been trying to find compromise of sorts in reasonably good faith. Still, must be tough quitting to become an Independent only to find that the independent group all voted against you and you have to sit on your own.
    It is, but a progressive Conservative is not.
  • Options
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I do wish the media would stop giving this vanity clown any more time in front of the mirror.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,712
    Questions to the brains trusts....

Wikipedia says Con seat total is 312.

I make it 318 elected. Lose 1 for Bercow, 3 to the Tiggers and 1 for Nick Boles this evening. Who is the other one?
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Yep. I am afraid labour are largely observing this tragedy.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963

Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/johndavidblake/status/1112831256423788544

I am perpetually amazed that Tory leadership can't see that appeasing the headbangers might keep some members onside, but must be shedding voters wholesale

Yeah the Tories should just abandon the 52% and just seek to become yet another party seeking the 48% like the other 6 parties doing so.
    Equating the 52% with the ERG is, I would suggest, not a sustainable or logical position to take.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Who's the guy who says "Oh Nick, Nick, c'mon. Don't go"?
  • Options

I've got it.

Put the various options into numbered boxes. Have MPs vote on which box to open. Noel Fucking Edmonds can open the chosen box, reveal the rejected option, and then Monsieur Barnier can call up to offer a deal based on the remaining options

Finally a sensible suggestion.

I was going to suggest putting the answer in the feeding bowl of the Queen's Corgis, then see which one gets passed first, as it were.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Total horsesh*t. Your party is in power and therefore has a responsibility to govern. It is not governing. It was clear at Christmas that the deal is no good and your party has wasted 3 f*cking months and for what?

Our voters want no deal by a significant majority. I don't agree with the position, but the Venn diagram between the 40-45% of no deal supporters and the 35-40% that we get in the polls is almost concentric. It's Labour voters that want to avoid no deal and it's the Labour party that kepos voting down the deal on offer.
    But almost every Labour MP will also vote to extend Article 50 this week, which would avoid No Deal.

And, should it become necessary, if the EU refuses an extension (which still seems incredibly unlikely), I'd expect a big majority of Labour MPs to vote to revoke Article 50, also thereby avoiding No Deal.

Whatever happens, it's going to be the Tories who get responsibility for No Deal, both in reality and in public opinion. Sorry.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

She ain’t listening. It’s just more brinkmanship in pursuit of her lousy deal. She could end this at any time, by whipping either of today’s top options. She doesn’t because she would lose her right wing. It’s carefully constructed.
    No, it's totally unreasonable to expect a government to whip against its own policy. Allowing a free vote is as much as one can reasonably expect.
    She changed it the third time and moved very significantly towards the Labour position. Yet the cowards in your party failed the country, again.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

You’re doing what May is doing. Trying to blackmail the opposition with the threat of no-deal. It will not work! We will crash out, people will get hurt, become poorer, maybe even die, and it will be the arrogant Conservative Party that will get the blame. And rightly so.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Moved from WA+CU to WA+SM.

But not the WA. That's an unholy spawn of satan Tory brexit, apparently.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Pulpstar said:

nielh said:

Drutt said:

It is, but a progressive Conservative is not.
    Top answer!
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Some April Fool.
    To be fair to Scott - We are all a bit vexed tonight and I missed it was a a parody the first read through
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Yep, it’s all about the Conservative Party, not the country.

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    Well there's a take I would not expect, even as it being as much a 'victory' as she could get, in that she can justifiably claim nothing is agreed and so, all together now, nothing has changed.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

There's no point changing it to something that 90% of your MP's hate.

Yes, she could decide to be Ramsay Macdonald, and lead 30 MP's into Coalition with her opponents but that's asking a lot.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Yep, it’s all about the Conservative Party, not the country.

Tell that to Labour too
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    So if we're in such a crisis what the heck is the order of business for tomorrow?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

May stripped out the entire political declaration !!! You know the bit Corbyn had an issue with, then he opposed it. Oh of course he opposed it... on the basis it was a .............. "blindfold Brexit".
    Anything we do requires the WA to be passed, and you accuse May of not compromising ?!
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445

May's Deal brought back. 3-line Whip. Those who vote against will not be eligible as candidates in the GE that will follow if May's Shit Deal doesn't pass.

Then a GE, where the Conservative Party candidates are required to unite behind passing May's Deal.

Labour? Who knows what they will go with.... but no ifs, no buts, this will be a Brexit election.

So was the last one - at least so far as the Tories were concerned and look how that turned out. Electorate tend to decide for themselves what the issues are. I just hope someone has found May a different strap line to “Strong and Stable”

I can’t see the 3 line whip achieving much. Feelings are too high. It will just swell the ranks of the TIGgers assuming Bercow even lets the vote go ahead.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

She ain’t listening. It’s just more brinkmanship in pursuit of her lousy deal. She could end this at any time, by whipping either of today’s top options. She doesn’t because she would lose her right wing.
    Err, you don't seem to have quite taken into account the fact that Corbyn could have ended this at any time (since November) by whipping his MPs to back the deal which is actually on the table, or even giving them a free vote. After all the deal on the table is almost exactly consistent with Labour's stated policy. So I'd be interested in your justification for blaming her and not him for the impasse.
    Corbyn will offer anything and everything, except for anything that would be accepted or would in any way prevent No Deal. He is Leave's most doughty defender.
    Jezza's order of priority:

1) Tories are blamed.

2) Tories are blamed.

3) etc etc...
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

So if we're in such a crisis what the heck is the order of business for tomorrow?

A day trip to Bangor probably
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028

Scott_P said:

I am perpetually amazed that Tory leadership can't see that appeasing the headbangers might keep some members onside, but must be shedding voters wholesale

Yeah the Tories should just abandon the 52% and just seek to become yet another party seeking the 48% like the other 6 parties doing so.
    Equating the 52% with the ERG is, I would suggest, not a sustainable or logical position to take.
    At least 4/5 of Leave voters back No Deal, certainly over Remain, soft Brexit is a compromise the median voter might accept without much enthusiasm but it is clear most Leavers now want No Deal and would be happy with it. You carried most of those voters with you to get your 52%, you must also accept the consequences of your narrow 'win'!
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,233
    Bit of a farce as expected. 2 routes from here IMO -

1. Pass the WA only. Leave. New Tory leader. General Election.
    2. Extension. New Tory leader. General Election.

In (1) the election decides the Future Relationship.
    In (2) the election decides whether we have another Referendum.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

FF43 said:

Jonathan said:

May certainly holds a degree of (ir)responsibility by trying to undermine the process, rather than attempting to find a consensus and a way forward.
    She needs to adopt a compromise position for the govt. it’s quite straightforward really.
    Corbyn has moved. Hell, even half the ERG moved. The only person who has not moved is May.
    Except she did on the WA without the PD. And she did by seeking further assurances from the EU on it. Nice try.

May definitely should do as you say and pick something else. We know why she hasn't, because her party is split down the middle. But to blame her for parliament's own choice not to pick something is a step too far, it is infantilising them, and blaming the whip is absurd when so many have defied the whip constantly.

Nothing stopped MPs from all sides coming together on something tonight, no matter what May said. She has earned her condemnation many times over, tonight was on them though.
    Dropping he PD was not change. That was simply breaking the original plan in two parts. It gave no ground to anyone outside the ERG, who sniffed a route to a deregulated future.

I stand by my point entirely. Tonight was a feint, denying just enough oxygen to an alternative. May remains responsible. She needs to construct and whip a genuine cross party compromise, even if that risks losing Baker, Francois and others on her right.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

She changed it the third time and moved very significantly towards the Labour position. Yet the cowards in your party failed the country, again.
    I’d love to know what you are high on.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

So the ERG are even closer now to winning, aren’t they? No Deal inches closer. Barely a week to go.

And being closer to winning presumably puts more of them in the Drax position of being less willing to give the WA another shot.

Parliament really has disappointed when it has 'taken control'. First they didn't pass Letwin the first time even though May and co had messed everything up, then both votes after Letwin nothing passes! Multi stage, sure, but don't tell me they expected that.
  • Options
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,257
    edited April 2019
    No. Fuck off Matt. You've been defeated massively three times .it's dead. As is your government
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited April 2019
    viewcode said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

LMAO at people still pushing this line.

If Corbyn 'wanted' No Deal, it literally would've happened by now. Without him putting Labour in support of the Caroline Spelman motion blocking No Deal, it wouldn't have passed, and we would've automatically left the EU last Friday...
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

She dropped the part of the package Labour opposed and put forward the part they back alone and still they three-line-whip against that which they supposedly support.

Pathetic. At least the ERG are honest about being willing to back no deal - everyone who backed the referendum, or backed invoking Article 50 and is now supposedly afraid of no deal and supposedly against revocation yet refuses to back the only deal is a hypocrite.

The only honest brokers in the house are dishonest May and her backers, the ERG/Hoey, the SNP and Lib Dems. And Ken Clarke.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

FF43 said:

Jonathan said:

Dropping he PD was not change. That was simply breaking the original plan in two parts. It gave no ground to anyone outside the ERG.

I stand by my point entirely. Tonight was a feint, denying just enough oxygen to an alternative. May remains responsible. She needs to construct and whip a genuine cross party compromise, even if that risks losing Baker, Francois and others on her right.
    You take away the agency and responsibility of MPs for their own votes, I don't see how that is fair.
  • Options

I make it 318 elected. Lose 1 for Bercow, 3 to the Tiggers and 1 for Nick Boles this evening. Who is the other one?

1 Deputy Speaker. Labour lose 2 Deputy speakers.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

Everybody blaming the House of Commons, wrongly in my view.

The country is very divided, and many on both sides are deeply entrenched in their opinion. Moreover the tectonic plates of opinion are no longer reflected by the political parties. Given Given the curve ball the electorate threw them, they could have made a better job , but it was never going to be easy. In retrospect something like this was almost inevitable.

This is why I think that something like the indicative votes should have been held re negotiating red lines before the Article 50 process kicked off, but asking the public rather than the MPs. If we know the red lines that voters backed were X, Y and Z, then the government has the parameters to negotiate a deal - the EC had a nice "waterfall" style diagram of how different red lines would have led to different viable end-states. The referendum itself was a cypher (a curveball is a good analogy, I think) - people took it to mean whatever they wanted it to mean, and truth be told it didn't represent a majority of voters coalescing around a single vision.
  • Options
    tottenhamWCtottenhamWC Posts: 352

Scott_P said:

Agreed. Just like equating current conservative support with that for no deal - I would wager at least half the Tory support is predominantly motivated by being anti Corbyn....
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,705
    Again proving that NO side is willing to ultimately compromise.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Boles does need to reflect on his own performance in all this.

He isn't a charismatic leader that people want to follow. Sincerity only takes you so far.

Flouncing like that this evening is certainly theatrical - but it does his cause more harm than good. He isn't going to persuade more people to back his position now.

I was actually warming to CM2 as an option the other night - but now it is dead in the water because of his rather petulant behaviour.
  • Options

kle4 said:

My mother, who is veteran stockpiler from the 1970s, when we last tried to burn our own country to the ground, informs me that the main toilet paper manufacturers have an enormous stockpile ready.

Brie is another matter.
    Might double up the Sainsbo's delivery again this week. Don't want to run low on pineapple.
    Very wise.

I have been astonished that the panic buying has not started.

Clearly, that's my age, and vast majority under 55 think the old just in time supply system is the god given right of any free born englishman who has a wifi connection.
    It'll start next Thursday when it's clear from the EU Summit that they are washing their hands of us
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028

viewcode said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Jezza's order of priority:

1) Tories are blamed.

2) Tories are blamed.

3) etc etc...
    I remember one recent poll had Corbyn being blamed more for No Deal than May and rightly so, he has done nothing but play party politics the whole time.

The blame for a No Deal lies equally with Corbyn, the ERG and diehard Remainers. Even the argument May should have gone for soft Brexit all along fails tonight given even after a second set of indicative votes her Deal last week got more than all of them
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

And being closer to winning presumably puts more of them in the Drax position of being less willing to give the WA another shot.

Parliament really has disappointed when it has 'taken control'. First they didn't pass Letwin the first time even though May and co had messed everything up, then both votes after Letwin nothing passes! Multi stage, sure, but don't tell me they expected that.
    Aren't the DUP going to notice, at some point, that No Deal/WTO crapfest involves a harder border than anything they tell their kids at bedtime as a horror story?
  • Options

No. Fuck off Matt. You've been defeated massively three times .it's dead. As is your government
    How many defeats is permissable, in your eyes? Everything has been defeated multiple times.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Mrs May's WA will go down more heavily now than it did last week imho. ERG ers will want to be in at the kill. Suspect we will see more recanters like Richard Drax voting against WA this time. No Deal is so close they can smell it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

FF43 said:

Jonathan said:

Dropping he PD was not change. That was simply breaking the original plan in two parts. It gave no ground to anyone outside the ERG.

You take away the agency and responsibility of MPs for their own votes, I don't see how that is fair.
    The backbench Tory sheep need a shepherd. Some of them have never had to think for themselves.

In a world where Jeremy Corbyn can whip Tory MP amendments, May needs to budge.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

Bercow.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Yep, Labour is likely to pick up most of the votes of those who oppose No Deal once an election comes. My guess is there’ll be more of them than support No Deal.

• Options
    AramintaMoonbeamQCAramintaMoonbeamQC Posts: 3,609
    edited April 2019
    'like Dad's Army, but without the rations'.

Good quote from Huw Merriman on Newsnight.
  • Options
    AnotherEngineerAnotherEngineer Posts: 64
    edited April 2019
    [deleted - a repeat]
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    Cyclefree said:

Yup. There's no avoiding the cliff edge when both govt and parly are fighting for the wheel.
  • Options
    So realistically what should one panic buy? Ive got toilet roll, pasta, tinned food and bottled water. What am I missing?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

Aren't the DUP going to notice, at some point, that No Deal/WTO crapfest involves a harder border than anything they tell their kids at bedtime as a horror story?
    DUP are not bothered by a border on land, they don't want one at sea.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,705

Boles does need to reflect on his own performance in all this.

He isn't a charismatic leader that people want to follow. Sincerity only takes you so far.

Flouncing like that this evening is certainly theatrical - but it does his cause more harm than good. He isn't going to persuade more people to back his position now.

I was actually warming to CM2 as an option the other night - but now it is dead in the water because of his rather petulant behaviour.
    Well good luck with him getting any tories online for it now.

So the Boles option is nigh on dead I reckon.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300

I'm feeling a lot like Nick Boles at the moment.

Who’s the Tory MP who appealed to Nick not to go?
    Pass.

Gove's going to be gutted.
    Merriman’s confirmed it’s him
  • Options
    I thought these votes would get us some kind of resolution but tbh, they've made things worse.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

FF43 said:

Jonathan said:

The backbench Tory sheep need a shepherd. Some of them have never had to think for themselves.

In a world where Jeremy Corbyn can whip Tory MP amendments, May needs to budge.
    Not saying she shouldn't. But they're all still responsible for themselves no matter how sheep like.
  • Options

So realistically what should one panic buy? Ive got toilet roll, pasta, tinned food and bottled water. What am I missing?

Wine my man....otherwise you will be stuck with the stuff that comes in a box.
  • Options
    Is it true not all SNP MPs voted the same way? I apologise to them, I didn't think that was possible.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    kle4 said:

How many defeats is permissable, in your eyes? Everything has been defeated multiple times.
    This is ultimately becoming the problem. Everything in the end is going to be massively discredited as an option. Everything's taking a beating.

The winner is going to be the one that goes the 12 rounds, Rocky style, dead on its feet.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

I don't think anybody should be objecting to repeated votes on things at this point since
    * Something needs to pass
    * Everything has failed at least once
    * Things are getting closer on subsequent votes
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,835

Everybody blaming the House of Commons, wrongly in my view

Rightly in my view. They are grown adults paid large sums of money. They are behaving like children and are not deserving of the respect usually extended them.
  • Options
    Oh fuck. That waste of skin Burgon is on Newsnight
  • Options
    What you mean they aren't talking about how bad the Orange Man is? I thought that is the only thing they ever talk about on that channel these days.
This discussion has been closed.