Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Following the overnight allegations about WH2016 Dem favourite

Comments

• Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Brexit:

I bumped into an old friend today who voted for Brexit and I was astonished to hear they wanted a second referendum and the decision to Brexit reversed. Something has shifted and they said others with similar opinions cannot believe the mess we are in at the moment.They did not realise the implications when they voted for it. They said the promises made by Leave were all based on sand and Boris Johnson was cited as warranting special criticism. So I learned two things from this Conservative member 1/ Brexit is becoming unpopular even with those who voted for it! 2/ Boris Johnson has suffered collateral damage to his standing amongst Tory members due to his Brexit posturing.

I realise those who support Brexit will say the above cannot be representative of the population but I disagree. This was a qualitive assessment of a typical person who voted leave. The cracks in the Brexit supporting monolith are starting to rupture the project!
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,093
    tlg86 said:

According to Figure 2 in that piece linked to by Richard Tyndall, there are people who earn over £60k who consider themselves to be working class:

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/brexit-and-the-squeezed-middle/

I hope no one here falls into that category.

That depends on how you define 'working class'.

I can name you some skilled manual workers from poor backgrounds and with little education who earn millions.
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    dixiedean said:

Either Everton have suddenly become Brazil in 1970, or West Ham are very, very dire.

Looking good at the moment but we gave a goal lead away at Newcastle so they need to keep it up.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,145

tlg86 said:

According to Figure 2 in that piece linked to by Richard Tyndall, there are people who earn over £60k who consider themselves to be working class:

Cannot imagine anyone on PB passing themselves as working class in that situation.

It is an interesting situation.

My friend Rob his family is very working class, grew up in a council house, went to a comprehensive. He did a maths degree at a former poly.

To cut a long story short, he now earns a six figure salary and still considers himself working class.

We've occasionally discussed has he ceased to be a member of the working class?
    Anyone who sells their labour for salary or wages, and doesn’t own their business, is working class according to Karl Marx, who defined the proletariat as those who sell their labour power and who do not own the means of production. So there.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,856
    Nearly evening all :)

Summer, summer, summer time, summer time (as someone once said) as of tomorrow so an hour's less kip and the horror of summer in the city draws ever nearer.

So, I'm confused again - how is the Prime Minister to bring back the WA to the Commons on Monday when Bercow has already made it clear he wouldn't allow a vote on the same motion again?

Putting that to one side because presumably that's what Government lawyers are paid for, the truth is NO option has yet achieved a majority in the Commons. I can well understand the EU's frustration, they know what we don't want but they don't know what we do want because we don't either.

I imagine the Conservatives will whip strongly against any attempt to introduce a permanent Customs Union and the forces against the WA seem as strong as ever if not perhaps further emboldened by yesterday's events. A threat of a GE is so much hot air - Corbyn may want it but I suspect many Conservative and Labour MPs don't at this time.

I wasn't able (as I have other things to do on a Saturday) to complement David Herdson on a fine earlier piece with which, for a change, I mostly agreed, I did like the Titanic analogy which sums up the Parliamentary nonsense very well.

The question is now where the EU is on a long extension - how long first for all and second will they even grant it at all? I can well understand their reluctance to not have elected British MEPs in the Parliament. Had a Scotland heading for independence sent MPs to Westminster in 2015 and had those, under only slightly different circumstances, have blocked Cameron from forming a Government, I imagine the reaction in parts of England and Wales wouldn't have been uniformly positive.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,093

Brexit:

I bumped into an old friend today who voted for Brexit and I was astonished to hear they wanted a second referendum and the decision to Brexit reversed. Something has shifted and they said others with similar opinions cannot believe the mess we are in at the moment.They did not realise the implications when they voted for it. They said the promises made by Leave were all based on sand and Boris Johnson was cited as warranting special criticism. So I learned two things from this Conservative member 1/ Brexit is becoming unpopular even with those who voted for it! 2/ Boris Johnson has suffered collateral damage to his standing amongst Tory members due to his Brexit posturing.

I realise those who support Brexit will say the above cannot be representative of the population but I disagree. This was a qualitive assessment of a typical person who voted leave. The cracks in the Brexit supporting monolith are starting to rupture the project!

Maybe it is and maybe it isn't but we've been told similar anecdotes for the last 33 months.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Chris said:

kinabalu said:

Just finished the Times. There's a lacerating critique of Brexit and the Brexiteers from Matthew Parris. Thoroughly recommended. It's like Meaks on steroids!

It’s all invective and no substance. He writes like a petulant child, rather like Grieve is behaving. Actions have consequences as Grieve is now discovering.
    Oh dear. What dark consequences are being hinted at for Parris?
    Parris is an empty vessel making a lot of noise in a paper that favours Remain. I referred to “actions” specifically to Grieve.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    tlg86 said:

I think that is valid actually. Personally I think someones class is defined by their upbringing, not current salary.

If a privately educated son of millionaires loses all his inherited wealth aged 40 and ends up on the dole in social housing, I would say they were an upper class person who has fallen on hard times. They're not working class.

Likewise, a council estate boy done good, maybe a rapper that comes from a disadvantaged upbringing, will always be working class even if they make £10m a year
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930

tlg86 said:

Love the hypocrisy.

When entryists in Labour try and oust Labour MPs that's worrying for democracy, when it happens to a Tory MP it is great for democracy.
    Not that I have a dog in either of those fights, but I wouldn't call either worrying for democracy.
    For me it the big issue is that like with a lot of Labour agitators, Mr Grieve's ouster is someone who quite recently was in another party with the express mission of trying to destroy the Tory party.

That does not sit well with me.
    I asked this question earlier, I was a member of UKIP but am not now. If I rejoined to vote against the likes of Tommy Robinson, would that be wrong? Or would it be ok because I hadn't joined another party in the meantime?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    brendan16 said:

brendan16 said:

I see Mrs May is planning to bring her deal back again next week for another vote.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47756122

230 to 149 to 58 - she is getting closer every time....

Get them to vote again and again until she gets the result she wants. I thought that was only a dastardly EU trick.
    She lost and should admit it and move on to an alternative, which if she is determined to pass the withdrawal agreement would be either a general election or a referendum.

This is exactly the sort of coercive situation that the convention that a defeated measure is not brought back to the House in the same session is intended to protect Parliament from. One hopes that the Speaker will stand firm.
    Almost all the other options on offer on Wednesday required her deal to pass - as they are about future arrangements not withdrawal.

Which is of course why its all politics and posturing. If we don't leave on an agreed exit deal why would we need to enter in a customs union with the EU - as we are in the Customs union anyway.

Nothing would have changed until December 2021 under her deal - bar losing voting rights and MEPs. Parliament would then have had 21 months to agree the future options.
    All that is true and yet irrelevant. The vote has happened, it went against her, for whatever reason, and it's an important principle that we should now move on.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976

dixiedean said:

Either Everton have suddenly become Brazil in 1970, or West Ham are very, very dire.

Looking good at the moment but we gave a goal lead away at Newcastle so they need to keep it up.
    Best half this season. Actually for many a year. Where has this come from? Could have been five.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,259

brendan16 said:

brendan16 said:

I see Mrs May is planning to bring her deal back again next week for another vote.

Get them to vote again and again until she gets the result she wants. I thought that was only a dastardly EU trick.
    She lost and should admit it and move on to an alternative, which if she is determined to pass the withdrawal agreement would be either a general election or a referendum.

This is exactly the sort of coercive situation that the convention that a defeated measure is not brought back to the House in the same session is intended to protect Parliament from. One hopes that the Speaker will stand firm.
    Almost all the other options on offer on Wednesday required her deal to pass - as they are about future arrangements not withdrawal.

Which is of course why its all politics and posturing. If we don't leave on an agreed exit deal why would we need to enter in a customs union with the EU - as we are in the Customs union anyway.

Nothing would have changed until December 2021 under her deal - bar losing voting rights and MEPs. Parliament would then have had 21 months to agree the future options.
    All that is true and yet irrelevant. The vote has happened, it went against her, for whatever reason, and it's an important principle that we should now move on.
    The small snag is the only other option is no deal - which was rejected by an even larger margin.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    brendan16 said:

tlg86 said:

A person earning £60k would struggle to buy one bed flat in much of London - they couldn't even afford to buy a house in Dagenham. Earn £60k and live in Northumberland and perhaps its a different ballgame.

Wealth matters now - not income - given the insane price of housing in much of the UK.

As Rachel Reeves observed "The hardest way to make money in this country is to go to work."

Someone on £60k a year aged 30 who rents a flat is not as well off as someone on £30k aged 45 who owns a £2 million house - its all about timing, age, location and luck.

So yes a person on £60k in London who can't afford to buy a one bed flat in their area - probably is working class!
    Yes, I was just trying to wind up TSE. To be fair, it is very complicated. I'm on c.35k in London, but I only do it because I live with my parents and can commute by train. If that wasn't an option I wouldn't have anything to do with London.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,133

Chris said:

kinabalu said:

Just finished the Times. There's a lacerating critique of Brexit and the Brexiteers from Matthew Parris. Thoroughly recommended. It's like Meaks on steroids!

It’s all invective and no substance. He writes like a petulant child, rather like Grieve is behaving. Actions have consequences as Grieve is now discovering.
    Oh dear. What dark consequences are being hinted at for Parris?
    Parris is an empty vessel making a lot of noise in a paper that favours Remain. I referred to “actions” specifically to Grieve.
    Well, you spoke about Parris, compared him to Grieve, and then said "Actions have consequences as Grieve is now discovering."

Maybe just more noise from an empty vessel, though.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
  • Options
    isam said:

tlg86 said:

I think that is valid actually. Personally I think someones class is defined by their upbringing, not current salary.

If a privately educated son of millionaires loses all his inherited wealth aged 40 and ends up on the dole in social housing, I would say they were an upper class person who has fallen on hard times. They're not working class.

Likewise, a council estate boy done good, maybe a rapper that comes from a disadvantaged upbringing, will always be working class even if they make £10m a year
    Yes, I agree with all of this. It's quite difficult to measure class in my opinion because, as you say, it's defined by your parents.
  • Options
    Chris said:
    Fieldwork was before TIG became a registered party.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

Best half this season. Actually for many a year. Where has this come from? Could have been five.
    Should have been 5 but as long as they win I am not sure I care too much. Presume the Chelsea result has given them a big lift and rightly so. Just got to do the same in the second half. It was a decent start to the season but it all went pear shaped after throwing the game away at Anfield in the last minute.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

C'mon. Don't be churlish. Parris is a top class writer. You don't need to agree with him to appreciate that.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,632
    Wasn't exactly proof read before published was it?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Brexit:

And my girlfriend who goes to a different school so you won't know her says the opposite.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    kjh said:

Well spotted. I wouldn't have seen it if you hadn't pointed it out.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,121
    brendan16 said:

But of course people generally vote on their 'anecdotal' experiences in the real world - not on some academic or ONS statistics based on recorded data (not all reality is recorded!).

If you are immune from the effects of something you are far less likely to see something as being an issue or a problem.

A bit like 'right on' people who choose to live in the most white middle class British parts of London - Twickenham or Barnes say - and then lecture others on 'celebrating diversity'. If they truly did - why don't they buy a bigger house in more diverse parts of London such as Newham or Croydon where their money would go much further?

Yes of course people do, but they may not be correct. A cleaner might feel that low wage competition from Europe is depressing her wages, for instance, but not take into account the demand for her services created by the high wage jobs in London's service industries that EU membership facilitates, that is pushing in the other direction.
    My point is that none of us are immune from the effects of being in the EU. Many EU citizens do my job, so presumably they could be reducing my wage. But I suspect on balance I benefit economically from EU membership. Although that's not why I support it (in the same way I support Labour even though I would be worse off financially if they won). I suspect that the suspicion that EU immigrants are reducing your wage is not highly correlated with whether that has actually happened. But it is the suspicion that counts unfortunately.
    Incidentally, do 'right on' people live in Barnes and Twickenham? I thought places like that were stuffed full of smug Tories in rugby shirts. Personally I live in a fairly diverse and less affluent area of SE London. As you observe, you get more for your money, and also I suspect that if an area is too posh the state schools are less good because the upper middle class families all go private. Plus I don't want to be surrounded exclusively by white people.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    isam said:

tlg86 said:

I earn a fair bit over the 60k figure.

I grew up in a council house and I very much still think of myself as working class.
  • Options

kjh said:

Only spotted it because I got confused. Started to think I might need to book my place in the home for the permanently bewildered.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019

brendan16 said:

But of course people generally vote on their 'anecdotal' experiences in the real world - not on some academic or ONS statistics based on recorded data (not all reality is recorded!).

If you are immune from the effects of something you are far less likely to see something as being an issue or a problem.

A bit like 'right on' people who choose to live in the most white middle class British parts of London - Twickenham or Barnes say - and then lecture others on 'celebrating diversity'. If they truly did - why don't they buy a bigger house in more diverse parts of London such as Newham or Croydon where their money would go much further?

Yes of course people do, but they may not be correct. A cleaner might feel that low wage competition from Europe is depressing her wages, for instance, but not take into account the demand for her services created by the high wage jobs in London's service industries that EU membership facilitates, that is pushing in the other direction.
    My point is that none of us are immune from the effects of being in the EU. Many EU citizens do my job, so presumably they could be reducing my wage. But I suspect on balance I benefit economically from EU membership. Although that's not why I support it (in the same way I support Labour even though I would be worse off financially if they won). I suspect that the suspicion that EU immigrants are reducing your wage is not highly correlated with whether that has actually happened. But it is the suspicion that counts unfortunately.
    Incidentally, do 'right on' people live in Barnes and Twickenham? I thought places like that were stuffed full of smug Tories in rugby shirts. Personally I live in a fairly diverse and less affluent area of SE London. As you observe, you get more for your money, and also I suspect that if an area is too posh the state schools are less good because the upper middle class families all go private. Plus I don't want to be surrounded exclusively by white people.
    Those areas are generally more Tory than twenty years ago, due to shifts in house prices. The Lib Dem party in the Richmond and Twickenham area was far bigger a couple of years ago, for instance. The children of the media intelligentsia who used to populate them have moved to places like Sydenham, Herne Hill and East Dulwich in South London, in my experience.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

C'mon. Don't be churlish. Parris is a top class writer. You don't need to agree with him to appreciate that.
    We’ll have to agree to disagree. He is a bigoted, bitter and twisted man in my view. How Remainers have the audacity to call Leavers bigoted when Parris writes tripe like his article today is beyond me.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

5,992,000 ish signatures on the revoke petition. Will be comfortably over 6m on Monday when it's debated.

Just 10m short of those who actually voted to Remain........

Perhaps they've all died?
    Well done for spotting that apples are *exactly* the same thing as oranges. It's a point which escapes a lot of people.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

brendan16 said:

If you can't beat 'em....leave 'em!
    :-)
  • Options
    Snow clearly missed the People's Vote march...

https://tinyurl.com/y2czbknr

Channel 4 News has apologised after its presenter Jon Snow said he had “never seen so many white people in one place”, referring to the pro-Brexit protesters who flooded the centre of London on Friday.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

This is exactly the sort of reaction I've sniffed from some of the reactions of less prominent Tories to Grieve today. Brexiters should beware of dismissing these future predictions just because they seem to come mainly from Remainers ; Remainers can still make a split happen.

http://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/1111901168354119681

I'm confused. Has he been deselected? I thought it was a no confidence motion, which is different.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,981
    Floater said:

isam said:

tlg86 said:

I grew up in a council house and I very much still think of myself as working class.
    Ditto
  • Options
    If either party had a leader who wasn’t a total waste of space, that party would have massive lead. If May doesn’t try and call another snap election, there is a lot resting on who succeeds her.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,358
    Who are the morons who haven't figured out Boris yet?
  • Options
    On a more important note than Brexit - How do you stop pheasants eating your grass seed? I don't own a shot gun and chasing them around the garden is pointless; we just go around in circles. They don't even have the decency to fly away.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541

This is exactly the sort of reaction I've sniffed from some of the reactions of less prominent Tories to Grieve today. Brexiters should beware of dismissing these future predictions just because they seem to come mainly from Remainers ; Remainers can still make a split happen.

George Osborne is right about this. The moderate centre right has done well over a long time by not splitting, and by that ground not being contested by a lot of parties. Increasingly the LDs are not inhabiting centre right territory - and they hit a big problem the last time they did, in 2010. Millions of moderates will be less sympathetic to the Tories if it either stops being a place of intelligent dialogue (Clarke, Grieve, Cox, JRM, Stewart, Spelman to name a few) or starts being open to loud mothed extremes.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Who are the morons who haven't figured out that in this dark age of anti-politics, Boris still represents sticking two fingers up to the political Establishment?
  • Options

It might depend on the wording/question order*, this was the polling of the week for me.

This is of Tory voters.

https://twitter.com/timesredbox/status/1111555698918330370

*I'm not questioning Opinium's motives or methodology but sometimes the question order has a minor impact on wording.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822

Most of these who would make the best leader/PM polls are name recognition and little more IMO...
  • Options
    Floater said:

isam said:

tlg86 said:

If you have to get out of bed in the morning to pay your bills, you are working class
  • Options

brendan16 said:

Those areas are generally more Tory than twenty years ago, due to shifts in house prices. The Lib Dem party in the Richmond and Twickenham area was far bigger a couple of years ago, for instance. The children of the media intelligentsia who used to populate them have moved to places like Sydenham, Herne Hill and East Dulwich in South London, in my experience.
    Ha ha, none of them a million miles from where we live. Although I am not sure I know any of the "children of the media intelligencia". I obviously don't go to the right dinner parties! Although perhaps we might share a cheap Bulgarian cleaner or our children may go to the same interpretive dance class.
  • Options
    Wonder if we're going to have more Saturday night madness from the Tory Party? :D
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,856

The "small" Lib Dem Party was still able to thrash the Conservatives in Richmond and KIngston last year.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

Wonder if we're going to have more Saturday night madness from the Tory Party? :D

I'm expecting it tonight from the No Deal wing.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    edited March 2019

Brexit:

Well for every anecdote, there is another in the opposite direction.

My mother was visiting me this weekend, she is a retired teacher, LD voter but not particularly politically active. Voted Remain in 2016. She says she worries for faith in democracy if, having asked the people their opinion, the politicians then fail to implement their decision. She wants to see Brexit happen and then time can judge whether returning to the EU is a good idea or not. She understands how much changed between what was voted on in 1975 and what the EU became 40 years later after Lisbon.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722

Brexit:

There are two counteracting trends, identified by polling. There are Remain voters who think the result should be respected and would view vote Leave, and there are Leave voters who realise what a mess Brexit will be and would now vote Remain. The number in the second category is increasing, while those in the first appear to be static or decreasing. Such that on current polling, Remain would win a second referendum.

Tellingly, there are increasing numbers who voted Leave and now pretend they didn't.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Snow clearly missed the People's Vote march...

https://tinyurl.com/y2czbknr

Channel 4 News has apologised after its presenter Jon Snow said he had “never seen so many white people in one place”, referring to the pro-Brexit protesters who flooded the centre of London on Friday.

Even the lefties at Channel 4 must be starting to get pissed off with Snow saying stupid things...
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    stodge said:

The "small" Lib Dem Party was still able to thrash the Conservatives in Richmond and KIngston last year.

True, which I think is a measure of the anger over Europe. Even with a much more affluent population, that will still be enough to get Goldsmith out next time, too, I think.

brendan16 said:

Ha ha, none of them a million miles from where we live. Although I am not sure I know any of the "children of the media intelligencia". I obviously don't go to the right dinner parties! Although perhaps we might share a cheap Bulgarian cleaner or our children may go to the same interpretive dance class.
    ;.)
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,133

Chris said:
    I think at one time Opinium did include them in the voting intention question, though.
  • Options
    kjh said:

kjh said:

Only spotted it because I got confused. Started to think I might need to book my place in the home for the permanently bewildered.
    OK, now I'm so puzzled I'll look like a fool. What's the mistake?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Brexit:

There are two counteracting trends, identified by polling. There are Remain voters who think the result should be respected and would view vote Leave, and there are Leave voters who realise what a mess Brexit will be and would now vote Remain. The number in the second category is increasing, while those in the first appear to be static or decreasing. Such that on current polling, Remain would win a second referendum.

Tellingly, there are increasing numbers who voted Leave and now pretend they didn't.
    Also telling that Leavers seem to be changing their mind on the substance of Brexit, whereas Remainers have switched for procedural grounds, ie to respect the result of the democratic vote, not because they now think Brexit is a good thing per se.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Chris said:
    I think at one time Opinium did include them in the voting intention question, though.
    That was to see their potential alongside a normal VI poll without them in.

They and a few other pollsters decided not to include TIG until they became a registered party.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Lib Dems are listed as minus 2 when they should be plus 2.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,305
    algarkirk said:

George Osborne is right about this. The moderate centre right has done well over a long time by not splitting, and by that ground not being contested by a lot of parties. Increasingly the LDs are not inhabiting centre right territory - and they hit a big problem the last time they did, in 2010. Millions of moderates will be less sympathetic to the Tories if it either stops being a place of intelligent dialogue (Clarke, Grieve, Cox, JRM, Stewart, Spelman to name a few) or starts being open to loud mothed extremes.
    The Tories just have to hope this is a passing Brexit madness. I'm not so hopeful. Brexit was just the Gavrilo Princip; many battles and the spillage of much blood still awaits.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Even the lefties at Channel 4 must be starting to get pissed off with Snow saying stupid things...

Not so much pissed off as concerned. I think he's losing it and ought to be stepping down from high pressure live TV. It's becoming awkward to watch.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The talk of national unity governments from people like Kirkup on the one hand, and no-deal campaigns by more than half of Tory members on the other, are so far apart that this is the kind of disconnected talk at the extreme ends of the spectrum that usually presages and predicts a split. The Tories will be incredibly lucky to get through the week without one.

Given 8 Labour MPs and 3 Tory MPs have already defected to CUK/TIG, both main parties are already split anyway, it is just the extent of the split that may get bigger but Blairites in Labour and Remainers in the Tory Party are now clearly a minority
    If you look at those MPs and journalists who've already publicly aligned themselves with Grieve, you already have the first outlines of the next split. A big question in the Tory parliamentary party is how many "quiet remainers" are left, behind the familiar figures of Grieve and Clarke. There's certainly more than three or four, and those opposed to no-deal may be much greater. In the government alone you have Rudd, Liddington, Hammond, Clark, Gauke, Mundell, etc.
    It is possible we could see CUK/TIG become a UK En Marche if say Raab or Boris succeeds May as Tory Leader and Corbyn stays Labour Leader
    That is what *ought* to be happening.

And I would be early to the barricades.

But the evidence I would be followed by many isn't appearing. Yet, at least.
    Yes, it would seem that UK politics is continuing to polarise to the extremes and moderates like Grieve are being left behind.

I would mind less about this were the representatives of those extremes not so monumentally stupid.
    "moderates like Grieve".

lol.....
    Yes this casting of Grieve as a moderate by the media is a joke. He's just as extreme as Mark Francois and Steve baker.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Ah. Now I see it. I'm sure there's some kind of metaphor for their current state in that...
  • Options
    kjh said:

On a more important note than Brexit - How do you stop pheasants eating your grass seed? I don't own a shot gun and chasing them around the garden is pointless; we just go around in circles. They don't even have the decency to fly away.

Over a small area you could try putting up some netting - for a larger area hire Victor Meldrew.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Beaconsfield Betrayer Bites Back or Commons Conservative Constitutionalist Counters :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-47761241
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    brendan16 said:

Some of the Tories who claim to have been duped by the Whips might well switch back again in revenge.
  • Options

We’ll have to agree to disagree. He is a bigoted, bitter and twisted man in my view. How Remainers have the audacity to call Leavers bigoted when Parris writes tripe like his article today is beyond me.

But a potent and elegant scribe.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    FF43 said:

Brexit:

I wonder if some or all of these polls now contain a Shy Leaver bias, rather like some VI surveys used to contain a Shy Tory bias?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    kjh said:

Wire mesh about 6 cm above the grass should do it
  • Options

Floater said:

isam said:

tlg86 said:

If you have to get out of bed in the morning to pay your bills, you are working class
    Never thought I’d be described as working class!

That’s one off the bucket list 😂
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Floater said:

isam said:

tlg86 said:

There's no copyright on the "working class" term, so we can all be working class if we want to be. I don't think it's a classification that people doing analysis find useful. The ONS use socio-economic classifications based on employment. I think you would fall in their highest classification.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    justin124 said:

brendan16 said:

Some of the Tories who claim to have been duped by the Whips might well switch back again in revenge.
    Even as dumb as they are claiming they are to have been duped in such a fashion, I could believe they would do something like that. Ultimately there's large numbers who just don't want this, and they'll find a reason why even after concluding they should back it last time they won't this time, however silly. I'm surprised some of the MV2 remainers did not switch away from the WA.

And in all honesty as much criticism as May does deserve for being too paralysed with fear of internal Tory factions to try a plan B, and elevating the risk we have as a result, parliament definitely has the chance to overcome that now. She made sure her deal was the most popular (though not least unpopular) of options to date, and it is not in parliament's court to show to her other options will do better.

FF43 said:

Brexit:

I bumped into an old friend today who vot

There a
    I wonder if some or all of these polls now contain a Shy Leaver bias, rather like some VI surveys used to contain a Shy Tory bias?
    Certainly not. While of course I have always been a fervent remainer, had I been so foolish as to have voted Leave I am sure I would feel no shame in admitting that.
    GIN1138 said:

Apparently the no dealers have not given up yet, so probably.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Floater said:

isam said:

tlg86 said:

Doesn't count if the bills are for the upkeep of a country estate or the like, Charles!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Ah. Now I see it. I'm sure there's some kind of metaphor for their current state in that...
    I think it’s sweet that someone still cares
  • Options
    JackW said:

Beaconsfield Betrayer Bites Back or Commons Conservative Constitutionalist Counters :

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-47761241

Well he would say that wouldn't he? :)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    If the Tories want to beat Corbyn confirms they need Boris
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Charles said:

Floater said:

isam said:

tlg86 said:

Doesn't count if the bills are for the upkeep of a country estate or the like, Charles!
    Just a small house in the suburbs
  • Options

FF43 said:

Brexit:

Depends what they are being shy about! That they have been made fools of, or that they actually think Brexit is a stunning success, despite being told the opposite?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

No they don't.

That opinium poll is an outlier.

Ipsos Mori are the gold standard.

• Options

His popularity is surprisingly enduring for someone who has been fairly prominent for a long time, has held high office, has had numerous scandals, and flip flopped so publicly and so frequently with so little disguising his motivations of personal advancement. I don't understand it, but I don't think I can dismiss it because of how enduring it is.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    justin124 said:

brendan16 said:

May will put her Deal up against Customs Union or EUref2 though or whichever Brexit option wins the indicative votes head to head, not on its own like last week
  • Options
    IanB2 said:
    No one would agree on who could receive a coronation to lead them into another one.

Maybe they should go into the upcoming GE with no leader at all, send a poster with the Tory logo to the leaders' debates - Corbyn would be flummoxed.
  • Options
    Job done; 3 points. West Ham never in the game.
  • Options

It might depend on the wording/question order*, this was the polling of the week for me.

This is of Tory voters.

*I'm not questioning Opinium's motives or methodology but sometimes the question order has a minor impact on wording.
    Johnson still joint top on agree he has what it takes to be PM after May even on that poll.

As Trump proved Marmite candidates can win
  • Options
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:
    No one would agree on who could receive a coronation to lead them into another one.

Maybe they should go into the upcoming GE with no leader at all, send a poster with the Tory logo to the leaders' debates - Corbyn would be flummoxed.
    Having lost a 20% lead in the polls last time, it would be electoral suicide to repeat it.
  • Options

A split is probably inevitable, it's a question of timing and how big it is. No doubt he has said otherwise but I would not be surprised if Grieve, for instance, would probably quit the party if we do actually leave the EU. But as for the rest surely some split with a long extension, which we are getting unless no deal, which causes a smaller split.

It's no great loss. They cannot govern if they are so split on this issue, it doesn't matter if it is only 10 or 20%, or whatever, it is enough to paralyse them.

It'd just be nice if they could pass some Brexit outcome before they split.
  • Options

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Having lost a 20% lead in the polls last time, it would be electoral suicide to repeat it.
    But it has been clear since her first "I might step down" speech that she is itching to have another go to wipe the humiliation of last time. With a double humiliation now from Brexit, maybe she feels like third time lucky?
  • Options
    edited March 2019

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Not disagreeing. I think a GE is an astoundingly stupid idea for the Tories, and a very bad idea for the country, nothing more than an epic can kicking exercise, with all the supposed chance of resolution people expect from it dependent on such a GE going exactly as they want, and ignoring the riven state of the Tories in particular.

Unless they truly, deeply believe that a sub-optimal Brexit outcome is worth fighting at every cost (and there are some who think that) the rest of the party should do whatever it takes - CU, referemdum, whatever - to avoid going to a GE this year.

But so many seem to want it now.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

HYUFD said:

No they don't.

Boris joint top even on that poll on agree he has what it takes to be PM.

Javid may have the best net rating of all voters with Mori but most of the disagree voters will never vote Tory anyway. UKIP on 9% with Opinium too, many of those voters would return to a Boris led Tory Party and give the Tories the lead
  • Options
    Charles said:

kjh said:

Wire mesh about 6 cm above the grass should do it
    or get a dog or cat
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The talk of national unity governments from people like Kirkup on the one hand, and no-deal campaigns by more than half of Tory members on the other, are so far apart that this is the kind of disconnected talk at the extreme ends of the spectrum that usually presages and predicts a split. The Tories will be incredibly lucky to get through the week without one.

Given 8 Labour MPs and 3 Tory MPs have already defected to CUK/TIG, both main parties are already split anyway, it is just the extent of the split that may get bigger but Blairites in Labour and Remainers in the Tory Party are now clearly a minority
    If you look at those MPs and journalists who've already publicly aligned themselves with Grieve, you already have the first outlines of the next split. A big question in the Tory parliamentary party is how many "quiet remainers" are left, behind the familiar figures of Grieve and Clarke. There's certainly more than three or four, and those opposed to no-deal may be much greater. In the government alone you have Rudd, Liddington, Hammond, Clark, Gauke, Mundell, etc.
    It is possible we could see CUK/TIG become a UK En Marche if say Raab or Boris succeeds May as Tory Leader and Corbyn stays Labour Leader

Yes, it would seem that UK politics is continuing to polarise to the extremes and moderates like Grieve are being left behind.

I would mind less about this were the representatives of those extremes not so monumentally stupid.
    "moderates like Grieve".

lol.....
    Yes this casting of Grieve as a moderate by the media is a joke. He's just as extreme as Mark Francois and Steve baker.
    He seems like a very reasonable and moderate soul to me.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No they don't.

Javid may have the best net rating of all voters with Mori but most of the disagree voters will never vote Tory anyway
    Perhaps Texit really is like Brexit. There'll be lots of infighting before the Tory party realises that none of the alternatives are better than the status quo, and they'll beg for a May extension.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

But it has been clear since her first "I might step down" speech that she is itching to have another go to wipe the humiliation of last time. With a double humiliation now from Brexit, maybe she feels like third time lucky?
    Too many Tory marginals at stake to want to humour her desire to go for “third time lucky”. The time for an election is after they have a new leader not before.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If you ll, etc.

"moderates like Grieve".

lol.....
    He has been prepared to risk absolutely everything to achieve what he wants. His mildness of tone and intelligence do not disguise that he would be content see everything burn to achieve his aims. It is a joke that because he is articulate and mild that he gets a pass on the same pig headed stubborness and willingness to damn all but his preferred outcome as Baker or Francois.

He's more effective than them and a damn sight more likable, but he's the flip side of the coin - obsessive (as I am about him because people given him a free pass), uncaring of the risk to the country if he cannot get what he wants, and fanatically certain in the moral mission he is undertaking.

It's like how Corbyn is a mild mannered chap, pretty genial most of the time, but that doesn't mean everything he wants to do is as mild and genial, nor what he will do to get it.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,981
    GIN1138 said:

Look at who the Tories cosy up to in Scotland GIN, desperate indeed.
    https://wingsoverscotland.com/ruths-fishy-friends/
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,475
    edited March 2019
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No they don't.

Javid may have the best net rating of all voters with Mori but most of the disagree voters will never vote Tory anyway. UKIP on 9% with Opinium too, many of those voters would return to a Boris led Tory Party and give the Tories the lead
    You sound like IOS back in 2014/early 2015.

You need to look at the net ratings, looking at the absolute ratings is misleading, and not very accurate.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

Not disagreeing. I think a GE is an astoundingly stupid idea for the Tories, and a very bad idea for the country, nothing more than an epic can kicking exercise, with all the supposed chance of resolution people expect from it dependent on such a GE going exactly as they want, and ignoring the riven state of the Tories in particular.

Unless they truly, deeply believe that a sub-optimal Brexit outcome is worth fighting at every cost (and there are some who think that) the rest of the party should do whatever it takes - CU, referemdum, whatever - to avoid going to a GE this year.

But so many seem to want it now.
    I assume May, whose credibility is non existent, is trying to scare a few more rebels into supporting her woeful deal with talk of an election. A soft Brexit is not a long term solution for anyone because it has no wororthwile benefits in their own right. For Remainers it’s just a temporary stop on the way to re-entry. For Leavers, there is no realistic exit out - just back in.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

If you ll, etc.

"moderates like Grieve".

lol.....
    He has been prepared to risk absolutely everything to achieve what he wants. His mildness of tone and intelligence do not disguise that he would be content see everything burn to achieve his aims. It is a joke that because he is articulate and mild that he gets a pass on the same pig headed stubborness and willingness to damn all but his preferred outcome as Baker or Francois.

He's more effective than them and a damn sight more likable, but he's the flip side of the coin - obsessive (as I am about him because people given him a free pass), uncaring of the risk to the country if he cannot get what he wants, and fanatically certain in the moral mission he is undertaking.
    Grieve has almost single-handedly ensured parliament a greater say in a project which the executive has almost catastrophically failed to implement, failed to reach a clear position on - the barely agreed WA is no clear position - and never fully understood. I'd find that strange to describe as fanaticism.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    edited March 2019
    Surely Opinium suggests the best leader for Con at a GE would be TMay - by miles.

Now that may seem ridiculous after the 2017 campaign but who knows.

If they can avoid any unforced errors like the dementia tax and just campaign on delivering Brexit + a strong economy - and make "tax bombshell" the main focus of attack on Labour then she might surprise on the upside.
  • Options
    Last play of the Tory no dealers. Larger group than I would have thought.

Long extension means no brexit, I get what they are anxious. But fact is the Brexiteers have blown it, they've had their chance and failed. Now it is just scrabbling against the inevitable.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No they don't.

You sound like IOS back in 2014/early 2015.

You need to look at the net ratings, looking at the absolute ratings is misleading, and not very accurate.
    Not necessarily, in 2016 Trump's net ratings were awful but his absolute ratings were better and he won as his supporters were enthused to turn out and vote
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Presumably the no dealers and others positioning themselves for the leadership. But more than 400 MPs will favour delay over no deal.
This discussion has been closed.