Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Following the overnight allegations about WH2016 Dem favourite

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Given 52% of the voters voted Leave and Leavers now dominate the Tory Party and 40% of the voters voted for Corbyn Labour and Corbynites now dominate the Labour Party what may seem a sect is actually increasingly the majority of the country

https://twitter.com/rosskempsell/status/1111613110652145664
    Quite. HYUFD repeatedly confuses some Tory members with Tory voters. There lies ruin for the party.
    https://news.sky.com/story/more-than-half-of-tories-prefer-no-deal-brexit-poll-11598348
    Some 51% of Tory voters want a no-deal Brexit, compared with 26% of Labour supporters.
    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/brexit-voting-brits-would-quit-12925014
    I can usually comprehend why people vote the way they do. However, I really cannot understand why people are prepared to prefer, or even contemplate, a No-Deal Brexit. For a while at any rate it'll be horrendous.
    If you are a pensioner Tory member and you think your fixed income is safe, and you aren't exposed to any of the potentially damaging effects on the economy, travel, etc., maybe it isn't so difficult to understand?

We are suffering the effects of having so many of the active electorate above the age when they participate in the labour market.
    It's the baby boomers, selfish and irresponsible to the last. Can't we organise a free cruise for them all and then run the referendum again while they're all in the Med somewhere, reading the Daily Mail and talking about the war they weren't even alive to see.
    Not that you're generalising or being prejudiced, of course.
    I am generalising but I don't think I am being prejudiced. Brexit was delivered by the pensioner block vote, people who are insulated from the economic costs by their fixed incomes, and won't even be around to bear the costs of it, putting my generation's prosperity at risk and restricting the horizons of our children. And for what? A nostalgic vision of a 1950s Britain even they can barely remember. Of course they have as much right to vote as the rest of us, but don't expect us to thank them for the mess they've created.
    Do you think the same of the pensioners who stopped Scottish independence?
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Given 52% of the voters voted Leave and Leavers now dominate the Tory Party and 40% of the voters voted for Corbyn Labour and Corbynites now dominate the Labour Party what may seem a sect is actually increasingly the majority of the country

Quite. HYUFD repeatedly confuses some Tory members with Tory voters. There lies ruin for the party.
    https://news.sky.com/story/more-than-half-of-tories-prefer-no-deal-brexit-poll-11598348
    Some 51% of Tory voters want a no-deal compared with 26% of Labour supporters.
    I can usually comprehend why people vote the way they do. However, I really cannot understand why people are prepared to prefer, or even contemplate, a No-Deal Brexit. For a while at any rate it'll be horrendous.
    If you are a pensioner Tory member and you think your fixed income is safe, and you aren't exposed to any of the potentially damaging effects on the economy, travel, etc., maybe it isn't so difficult to understand?

We are suffering the effects of having so many of the active electorate above the age when they participate in the labour market.
    It's the baby boomers, selfish and irresponsible to the last. Can't we organise a free cruise for them all and then run the referendum again while they're all in the Med somewhere, reading the Daily Mail and talking about the war they weren't even alive to see.
    I am generalising but I don't think I am being prejudiced. Brexit was delivered by the pensioner block vote, people who are insulated from the economic costs by their fixed incomes, and won't even be around to bear the costs of it, putting my generation's prosperity at risk and restricting the horizons of our children. And for what? A nostalgic vision of a 1950s Britain even they can barely remember. Of course they have as much right to vote as the rest of us, but don't expect us to thank them for the mess they've created.
    I’m not one of them but perhaps some respect for the people who actually voted last time and would know what was promised in the 70s and if it was delivered. Saying old people have no part in the future ignores the human condition. Maybe if they have no children’s or family , and are not part of or contributing to their local community. This is not the case for most of the ‘pensioner block vote’ that I know.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,091
    I see the forelock tuggers are out in force today.

If Grieve is so highly rated then he should have no problem in finding another Conservative association to stand for.

If he can't then he's not the right man to be a Conservative MP.

Its just the same job application process the proles have to go through.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    brendan16 said:

isam said:

Interesting thread that is maybe a bit on topic... one of the reasons given for the lack of sex in America is #metoo

https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/1111607604348805120?s=21

Nearly 30% of men aged 18-30 not having sex is quite a shocking figure - particularly as its nearly double the figure for women. Who are the women having relations with?

Back in 1989 the percentage was half that and the levels for both sexes pretty similar.

There may be other factors than metoo of course e.g. the cost of housing meaning fewer people can afford their own place. If you are still living with mum and dad or in small shared rental flats - its a bit harder to arrange?

I suspect that the normalisation of casual sex and the establishment of things like tinder mean that the “lookers” among men get easier access to a wider pool of partners while the average joe loses out
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Some 51% of Tory voters want a no-deal Brexit, compared with 26% of Labour supporters.

Most Brexit voters were aged under 65.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    viewcode said:

brendan16 said:

isam said:

Interesting thread that is maybe a bit on topic... one of the reasons given for the lack of sex in America is #metoo

Nearly 30% of men aged 18-30 not having sex is quite a shocking figure - particularly as its nearly double the figure for women. Who are the women having relations with?
    Ahem.

Explanation 1: The tyranny of percentages. If the number of women is greater than the number of men, then 40% of men is not necessarily a bigger number thatn 35% of women

Explanation 2: Age bands. The 18-30 women may be having sex with men over 30 or under 18

Explanation 3: Homosexuality. The 18-30 women may be having sex with each other.

Percentages have their problems - but perhaps less so when you are talking about tens of millions of people (people in the US aged 18-30) rather than a small number!

Due to the lack of major wars recently killing off young men in the west the sex ratio isn't that different in that age group - 49% to 51% in the UK. In the US there are actually more men than women in that age group - its only in the over 45 age group where there are more women.

Now perhaps there are twice as many lesbians/bi womwn in the US than 30 years ago relatively or they prefer older men (Joe Biden?) - or something perhaps odd is happening with young men. In the US men are 3.5 times more likely to commit suicide - and perhaps lacking female contact and relationships might contribute to that.

So it does throw up some issues worthy of debate - because 28% of the population of that age group not having had any sex for a year is surprising. Perhaps they are waiting for the right guy or right woman - but its hardly healthy for society and men's health?

• Options
    viewcode said:

brendan16 said:

isam said:

Ahem.

Explanation 1: The tyranny of percentages. If the number of women is greater than the number of men, then 40% of men is not necessarily a bigger number thatn 35% of women

Explanation 2: Age bands. The 18-30 women may be having sex with men over 30 or under 18

Explanation 3: Homosexuality. The 18-30 women may be having sex with each other.

Explanation 4: Some of the 18-30 men might be having sex with multiple 18-30 women.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

While some of my pensioner friends are indeed Leavers, the majority I think were, and still are, for Remain. The half-dozen members of the U3a Current Affairs discussion group I belong to are unanimously Remain.
    Interestingly in this context I clearly recall that Referendum Day was our house-cleaning day. We had a Remain poster up and my wife asked the two (about) 30 year old cleaning ladies had they voted. Yes they said, but not the same as you.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The talk of national unity governments from people like Kirkup on the one hand, and no-deal campaigns by more than half of Tory members on the other, are so far apart that this is the kind of disconnected talk at the extreme ends of the spectrum that usually presages and predicts a split. The Tories will be incredibly lucky to get through the week without one.

Given 8 Labour MPs and 3 Tory MPs have already defected to CUK/TIG, both main parties are already split anyway, it is just the extent of the split that may get bigger but Blairites in Labour and Remainers in the Tory Party are now clearly a minority
    If you look at those MPs and journalists who've already publicly aligned themselves with Grieve, you already have the first outlines of the next split. A big question in the Tory parliamentary party is how many "quiet remainers" are left, behind the familiar figures of Grieve and Clarke. There's certainly more than three or four, and those opposed to no-deal may be much greater. In the government alone you have Rudd, Liddington, Hammond, Clark, Gauke, Mundell, etc.
    It is possible we could see CUK/TIG become a UK En Marche if say Raab or Boris succeeds May as Tory Leader and Corbyn stays Labour Leader
    That is what *ought* to be happening.

And I would be early to the barricades.

But the evidence I would be followed by many isn't appearing. Yet, at least.
    Yes, it would seem that UK politics is continuing to polarise to the extremes and moderates like Grieve are being left behind.

I would mind less about this were the representatives of those extremes not so monumentally stupid.
    Except that Grieve isn't a moderate on Brexit - he's a hard Remainer in a Leaver dominated party.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

viewcode said:

brendan16 said:

isam said:

Ahem.

Explanation 4: Some of the 18-30 men might be having sex with multiple 18-30 women.
    Chad souls, Virgin hearts
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,951

Except this is not true on any level.

The split between Remain and Leave in the 25-49 age group was 54-46 which is hardly overwhelming. The split in the 50-65 age group which is still of course of working age was a more emphatic 60% in favour of Leave.

There have been loads of studies since 2016 on who voted Leave and why and most of them have killed the myth that it was a lack of education or employment that drove the vote. This is a good example.

https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/brexit-and-the-squeezed-middle/
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The talk of national unity governments from people like Kirkup on the one hand, and no-deal campaigns by more than half of Tory members on the other, are so far apart that this is the kind of disconnected talk at the extreme ends of the spectrum that usually presages and predicts a split. The Tories will be incredibly lucky to get through the week without one.

Given 8 Labour MPs and 3 Tory MPs have already defected to CUK/TIG, both main parties are already split anyway, it is just the extent of the split that may get bigger but Blairites in Labour and Remainers in the Tory Party are now clearly a minority
    If you look at those MPs and journalists who've already publicly aligned themselves with Grieve, you already have the first outlines of the next split. A big question in the Tory parliamentary party is how many "quiet remainers" are left, behind the familiar figures of Grieve and Clarke. There's certainly more than three or four, and those opposed to no-deal may be much greater. In the government alone you have Rudd, Liddington, Hammond, Clark, Gauke, Mundell, etc.
    It is possible we could see CUK/TIG become a UK En Marche if say Raab or Boris succeeds May as Tory Leader and Corbyn stays Labour Leader
    That is what *ought* to be happening.

And I would be early to the barricades.

But the evidence I would be followed by many isn't appearing. Yet, at least.
    Yes, it would seem that UK politics is continuing to polarise to the extremes and moderates like Grieve are being left behind.

I would mind less about this were the representatives of those extremes not so monumentally stupid.
    "moderates like Grieve".

lol.....
  • Options

The split between Remain and Leave in the 25-49 age group was 54-46 which is hardly overwhelming. The split in the 50-65 age group which is still of course of working age was a more emphatic 60% in favour of Leave.

There have been loads of studies since 2016 on who voted Leave and why and most of them have killed the myth that it was a lack of education or employment that drove the vote. This is a good example.

People like stereotypes - it allows them to consign those they disagree with into 'people like them'.
  • Options

Thanks for that article. Interesting.
  • Options
    "While some of my pensioner friends are indeed Leavers, the majority I think were, and still are, for Remain. The half-dozen members of the U3a Current Affairs discussion group I belong to are unanimously Remain.
    Interestingly in this context I clearly recall that Referendum Day was our house-cleaning day. We had a Remain poster up and my wife asked the two (about) 30 year old cleaning ladies had they voted. Yes they said, but not the same as you.""

Has there been any survey results into the proportion of remain vs leave voters who clean their own houses vs those who get hired help in to do it?! Do remain voters prefer someone else to clean up after them?

Freedom of movement has possibly made employing cash in hand hired help cheaper in recent years in the UK - and there is now more choice - but that isn't necessarily to the benefit of cleaners who have to drop their prices to compete!

Perhaps when EU migrants start taking more middle class jobs - including positions in the media and as political commentators rather than being the hired help for them....
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,120
    Sean_F said:

Yes, but Leave won because 60% of over 65s supported it. If 50% had supported it, Remain would have won comfortably. In any case, most Leave voters were older than me, and most Remain voters were younger than me (I am in my 40s). So the age dimension to the vote is clear in my mind, and the fact that the people who voted for it will generally not bear the cost is galling.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    Pulpstar said:

viewcode said:

brendan16 said:

isam said:

Ahem.

Chad souls, Virgin hearts
    can we have some more, illustrated, examples of explanation 3.

please.

for a friend.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,247

plus for all the wailing about the young having their future stolen from them, 64% of 18-24 year olds abstained by not voting.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Yes, but Leave won because 60% of over 65s supported it. If 50% had supported it, Remain would have won comfortably. In any case, most Leave voters were older than me, and most Remain voters were younger than me (I am in my 40s). So the age dimension to the vote is clear in my mind, and the fact that the people who voted for it will generally not bear the cost is galling.
    60% of the over 50s supported it.
  • Options

viewcode said:

brendan16 said:

isam said:

Ahem.

Explanation 5: Young men now more scared of flirting in case they are branded as sex pests.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

viewcode said:

brendan16 said:

isam said:

Ahem.

Percentages have their problems - but perhaps less so when you are talking about tens of millions of people (people in the US aged 18-30) rather than a small number!

Due to the lack of major wars recently killing off young men in the west the sex ratio isn't that different in that age group - 49% to 51% in the UK. In the US there are actually more men than women in that age group - its only in the over 45 age group where there are more women.

Now perhaps there are twice as many lesbians/bi womwn in the US than 30 years ago relatively or they prefer older men (Joe Biden?) - or something perhaps odd is happening with young men. In the US men are 3.5 times more likely to commit suicide - and perhaps lacking female contact and relationships might contribute to that.

So it does throw up some issues worthy of debate - because 28% of the population of that age group not having had any sex for a year is surprising. Perhaps they are waiting for the right guy or right woman - but its hardly healthy for society and men's health?

No doubt there's something going on with social media in all this. Swipe right and all that.

• Options
    brendan16 said:

"While some of my pensioner friends are indeed Leavers, the majority I think were, and still are, for Remain. The half-dozen members of the U3a Current Affairs discussion group I belong to are unanimously Remain.
    Interestingly in this context I clearly recall that Referendum Day was our house-cleaning day. We had a Remain poster up and my wife asked the two (about) 30 year old cleaning ladies had they voted. Yes they said, but not the same as you.""

Has there been any survey results into the proportion of remain vs leave voters who clean their own houses vs those who get hired help in to do it?! Do remain voters prefer someone else to clean up after them?

Freedom of movement has possibly made employing cash in hand hired help cheaper in recent years in the UK - and there is now more choice - but that isn't necessarily to the benefit of cleaners who have to drop their prices to compete!

Perhaps when EU migrants start taking more middle class jobs - including positions in the media and as political commentators rather than being the hired help for them....

These two weren't migrants, and when you/your wife get into your late 70's you too might find that a bit of help around the house once or twice a month comes in handy!

When I come to think about it I've never seen the firm we use, a local one, use migrants.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Sean_F said:

That sounds quite lively, but no more so than plenty of political meetings I've been to.
    Valid observation if and only if you aren't the one doing most of the shouting.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

felix said:

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Maybe we should restrict the franchise to the upper middle classes.
    Yes because that was exactly what I said. (fuck sake)
    You don't get sarcasm I see.
    It's the lowest form of wit. I want to restrict old people from voting, not the plebs.
    Thank the lord it's only an hour or so before you're off to bed.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    An amusing skit from 'lazy cow Brummie' and Brexiteer Doreen Tipton - temporarily taking over as acting Speaker - about our failure to leave the EU yesterday. Its a bit coarse - so apologies in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhdVfbj9_o8
  • Options

Sean_F said:

There is no special virtue or wisdom in being aged 20 or 75.

42 was the age at which a majority turned from Remain to Leave. They'll be alive and working for years to come.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

And it appears there is a direct correlation between the length of time a person has lived in the EU/ Common market and the amount that they hate it.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

While some of my pensioner friends are indeed Leavers, the majority I think were, and still are, for Remain. The half-dozen members of the U3a Current Affairs discussion group I belong to are unanimously Remain.
    Interestingly in this context I clearly recall that Referendum Day was our house-cleaning day. We had a Remain poster up and my wife asked the two (about) 30 year old cleaning ladies had they voted. Yes they said, but not the same as you.
    Pleanty of examples like that OKC but I thought most of the pollsters' analysis showed very clearly the heavy bias for Remain among that under 30s and for Leave amongst the over 55s.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Pleanty of examples like that OKC but I thought most of the pollsters' analysis showed very clearly the heavy bias for Remain among that under 30s and for Leave amongst the over 55s.
    Indeed; all I'm really saying is that jumping to conclusions and stereotyping are rarely good ideas.
    To be fair I realise that I may be atypical. I spent a long time in the 1975 referendum knocking on doors, putting out leaflets etc in favour of the Common Market as it was then, and some time handing out leaflets in our local market in 2106.
  • Options

This strikes me as a selective use of statistics. Around a quarter of under 25s voted Leave and the % increases monotonically with age up until 60% of over 65s. Also FWIW the study you quote demonstrates clearly that education is a significant correlate with Brexit voting behaviour (although I wasn't talking about that). Also maybe worth pointing out that the UK Labour Market is integrated with the EU at all levels. So we are all potentially being outbid by EU immigrants, not just cleaning ladies and the like. Perhaps not newspaper columnists or a few other well protected professions reserved for posh people. But the sector I work in is wide open. Also worth pointing out that the evidence of a negative effect on wages is at best limited, whatever anecdotes people choose to deploy.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,128
    brendan16 said:

An amusing skit from 'lazy cow Brummie' and Brexiteer Doreen Tipton - temporarily taking over as acting Speaker - about our failure to leave the EU yesterday. Its a bit coarse - so apologies in advance!

We am not amused.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed; all I'm really saying is that jumping to conclusions and stereotyping are rarely good ideas.
    To be fair I realise that I may be atypical. I spent a long time in the 1975 referendum knocking on doors, putting out leaflets etc in favour of the Common Market as it was then, and some time handing out leaflets in our local market in 2106.
    2106? Had we left by then?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Mr. Mariner, point of order: wanting to stay or remain doesn't necessarily indicate such strong emotions as love or hate.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

somewhere, reading the Daily Mail and talking about the war they weren't even alive to see.
    2106? Had we left by then?
    LOL!!! Poor old chap. Nodding at the keyboard! If I'm still here for that I shall be in the Guinness Website (won't be a book) of records.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283

Sean_F said:

And it appears there is a direct correlation between the length of time a person has lived in the EU/ Common market and the amount that they hate it.
    The stronger correlation is with the time a person has spent living outside the EU
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Decidedly unlikely under our FPTP system - indeed beyond the defectors themselves few TIG candidates are likely to save their deposits.
    Most En Marche candidates even won the first round in France and of course the 50% or so the SDP polled in 1981 when it was Thatcher v Foot would have translated into an SDP majority
  • Options
    felix said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

As I said - if only 51% of Tory voters want no deal therein lies ruin for the party. How can everyone else see what you cannot?
    That is a majority of the party. As I posted earlier only 20% of Tory voters want Remain, the rest want to leave with a Deal, so 80% of Tory voters want Brexit
    Yup 51% want no deal and the party cannot win a majority on that basis. 51% is not really the 'critical mass' you need.
    Do not forget either many Leave with Deal voters would prefer Leave with No Deal to Remain
  • Options

HYUFD said:

isam said:

brendan16 said:

isam said:

Back in 1989 the percentage was half that and the levels for both sexes pretty similar.

There may be other factors than metoo of course e.g. the cost of housing meaning fewer people can afford their own place. If you are still living with mum and dad or in small shared rental flats - its a bit harder to arrange?

Yes I only mentioned that as one of the possible factors because it is the topic of the header. Others were less men of that age in work, more live w parents etc
    Greater use of online porn perhaps?

Sad if true.
    That and more time spent online generally, more sex education and the MeToo movement and emphasis on consent, fear of intimacy and concerns over body image and people living at home longer and the need to build a future first all factors

https://www.tcsnetwork.co.uk/why-are-millennials-having-less-sex/
    Also the red MAGA baseball caps & the chino & white polo shirt look probably not helping to get the ladeez horny. Works for billionaire Don but absolutely no one else.
    There are plenty of female Trump voters
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Chris said:

brendan16 said:

We am not amused.
    Have you never imagined a future where a much older Jess Philips was elected as Speaker?!
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

This strikes me as a selective use of statistics. Around a quarter of under 25s voted Leave and the % increases monotonically with age up until 60% of over 65s. Also FWIW the study you quote demonstrates clearly that education is a significant correlate with Brexit voting behaviour (although I wasn't talking about that). Also maybe worth pointing out that the UK Labour Market is integrated with the EU at all levels. So we are all potentially being outbid by EU immigrants, not just cleaning ladies and the like. Perhaps not newspaper columnists or a few other well protected professions reserved for posh people. But the sector I work in is wide open. Also worth pointing out that the evidence of a negative effect on wages is at best limited, whatever anecdotes people choose to deploy.
    The effect on wages is real but complicated. My staff benefit from being in the EU. Indeed without Brexit I'd have had another one by now. But the temps I hire from time to time are definitely cheaper as a result of competition from immigrants. It might well be that people have a pretty good idea of how it hits them personally, which might be why there are so many exceptions to the general rule that the better off voted remain and worse off voted leave. Very hard to explain why working class Brighton is so remainey and genteel Worthing is so leavy by looking at income levels. But when you know the kinds of jobs on offer it makes a bit more sense.
  • Options
    Charles said:

brendan16 said:

isam said:

I suspect that the normalisation of casual sex and the establishment of things like tinder mean that the “lookers” among men get easier access to a wider pool of partners while the average joe loses out
    Probably the best explanation, I doubt many of the 28% are Chris Hemsworth or George Clooney lookalikes and women now can be more picky through online dating expanding their choice of partners
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

The stronger correlation is with the time a person has spent living outside the EU
    But that is only because we weren't members of the Common market pre 1972. You can't extrapolate from that: 47 years + 18 years = 65 years, so everyone 65 and older should be flagged at the same point for correlation purposes.
  • Options
    I see Mrs May is planning to bring her deal back again next week for another vote.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47756122

230 to 149 to 58 - she is getting closer every time....
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    The following is from Business Insider and is about the TIG and LibDems having an electoral pact. This obviously makes sense in FPTP elections. However the first test may be Euro elections.
    In order to get the best result should they stand as a sort of 'Alliance' (to coin a phrase) or separately. It's a sort of proportional system, so maybe it doesn't matter as much. Also there could be a lot of issues around the order of candidates on the list if there are joint lists and there is no guarantee that all votes for one eliminated candidate would transfer to the allied party.

Business Insider reports:

"The Independent Group is mulling an electoral alliance with the Liberal Democrats in which they would both run under the same “umbrella” and field joint candidates in certain seats at future elections…
    Business Insider has been told that the group has discussed forming an electoral alliance with the Liberal Democrats which is similar to the Labour party’s relationship with the Cooperative Party.
    Under the proposed arrangement, both parties would remain independent but agree on joint candidates to stand in certain seats.
    These discussions were confirmed by sources in both TIG and the Lib Dems."
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    5,992,000 ish signatures on the revoke petition. Will be comfortably over 6m on Monday when it's debated.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

I see Mrs May is planning to bring her deal back again next week for another vote.

Beyond delusion. When will someone gently tell her that is is time to go? Come on Mr May.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970

The following is from Business Insider and is about the TIG and LibDems having an electoral pact. This obviously makes sense in FPTP elections. However the first test may be Euro elections.
    In order to get the best result should they stand as a sort of 'Alliance' (to coin a phrase) or separately. It's a sort of proportional system, so maybe it doesn't matter as much. Also there could be a lot of issues around the order of candidates on the list if there are joint lists and there is no guarantee that all votes for one eliminated candidate would transfer to the allied party.

"The Independent Group is mulling an electoral alliance with the Liberal Democrats in which they would both run under the same “umbrella” and field joint candidates in certain seats at future elections…
    Business Insider has been told that the group has discussed forming an electoral alliance with the Liberal Democrats which is similar to the Labour party’s relationship with the Cooperative Party.
    Under the proposed arrangement, both parties would remain independent but agree on joint candidates to stand in certain seats.

Depends where it is. Here in the NE there are only 3 MEPs. Not a chance if LDs and TIG are opponents!
  • Options

With 3 - 9 MEP's per region, it's certainly possible to fall below the threshold needed to win a seat, so joint candidates make sense.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    dixiedean said:

Depends where it is. Here in the NE there are only 3 MEPs. Not a chance if LDs and TIG are opponents!
    Given the position of both parties it would be better if they divided the regions between them
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

It will be put up by May against whichever option wins the second round of the indicative votes next week though, so it will not just be a straight vote on the Deal alone
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

5,992,000 ish signatures on the revoke petition. Will be comfortably over 6m on Monday when it's debated.

Just 10m short of those who actually voted to Remain........

Perhaps they've all died?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    Sean_F said:

With 3 - 9 MEP's per region, it's certainly possible to fall below the threshold needed to win a seat, so joint candidates make sense.
    I think so too, although it depends on how redistributed votes fall. In theory if all the first eliminated candidate (LD or TIG) votes went to the other it wouldn't matter. However that sounds very risky.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,305
    brendan16 said:

Get them to vote again and again until she gets the result she wants. I thought that was only a dastardly EU trick.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

But of course people generally vote on their 'anecdotal' experiences in the real world - not on some academic or ONS statistics based on recorded data (not all reality is recorded!).

If you are immune from the effects of something you are far less likely to see something as being an issue or a problem.

A bit like 'right on' people who choose to live in the most white middle class British parts of London - Twickenham or Barnes say - and then lecture others on 'celebrating diversity'. If they truly did - why don't they buy a bigger house in more diverse parts of London such as Newham or Croydon where their money would go much further?

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Just finished the Times. There's a lacerating critique of Brexit and the Brexiteers from Matthew Parris. Thoroughly recommended. It's like Meaks on steroids!
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    brendan16 said:

Should get there by 9th April - as this incontrovertibly proves: :wink:

• Options
    edited March 2019
    kinabalu said:

Just finished the Times. There's a lacerating critique of Brexit and the Brexiteers from Matthew Parris. Thoroughly recommended. It's like Meaks on steroids!

Doesn't that pretty much sum up every other column Matthew Parris has written since June 2016?! Boris's columns in the Telegraph are the equal and opposite.

When Mr P does a 'lacerating critique' of remainers and remaining in the EU it might be a novel read - for a change!
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    kinabalu said:

It’s all invective and no substance. He writes like a petulant child, rather like Grieve is behaving. Actions have consequences as Grieve is now discovering.
  • Options

I can only assume uou are just picking numbers out of yhe air instead of actually lookibg at yhe polling.

The yiugov polling done just after the referendum can be found here:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2016/06/27/how-britain-voted

The splits show clearly that the break berween Leave and Remain comes much earlier than you believe with 60% of the over 50 vote going Leave and even the Remain advantage in the 25 to 49 range only being 54:46.

Pensioners winning it for Leave was and is a myth.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

It’s all invective and no substance. He writes like a petulant child, rather like Grieve is behaving. Actions have consequences as Grieve is now discovering.
    How does it compoare to BoJo's measured pronouncements on the topic?
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    edited March 2019

kinabalu said:

How does it compoare to BoJo's measured pronouncements on the topic?
    His coming out in support of Grieve ? A pitch for the leadership. His “F*** Business” comment - pretty stupid, just like Paris and Grieve.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

brendan16 said:

Get them to vote again and again until she gets the result she wants. I thought that was only a dastardly EU trick.
    She lost and should admit it and move on to an alternative, which if she is determined to pass the withdrawal agreement would be either a general election or a referendum.

This is exactly the sort of coercive situation that the convention that a defeated measure is not brought back to the House in the same session is intended to protect Parliament from. One hopes that the Speaker will stand firm.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Still beats the 600k who signed the Leave with No Deal petition by a long chalk.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

He's been pretty one-note since the time of the Clacton by-election.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Is it really shocking to think that 28% of young men have not had sex in the last year? Perhaps it was very different when many of you were young!

I agree about the dating apps. Trouble is that men are greedy and so the most attractive ones will be monopolising the dating market. As someone said to me there's no point going on tinder if you're a man unless you are very good looking.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,115
    Beto's atwitterin'.

https://twitter.com/BetoORourke/status/1112047354109218817

Perhaps not the best medium for white bread aspirational stuff, particularly if you're intending going head to head with Trump at the end of it.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

He's been pretty one-note since the time of the Clacton by-election.
    In the 1970s Matthew Parris thought that Thatcher was too downmarket an individual to have the name Margaret.
  • Options

If Grieve is so highly rated then he should have no problem in finding another Conservative association to stand for.

He was elected on a commitment to support not only Brexit but our leaving the Customs Union and the Single Market. He is now pouring the whole of his considerable political intellect and energy into preventing any sort of Brexit at all. It's a great cause IMO but the case for him to be ditched as a Conservative candidate at the next election is pretty much unanswerable.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

He was elected on a commitment to support not only Brexit but our leaving the Customs Union and the Single Market. He is now pouring the whole of his considerable political intellect and energy into preventing any sort of Brexit at all. It's a great cause IMO but the case for him to be ditched as a Conservative candidate at the next election is pretty much unanswerable.
    Given that he voted for A50 to be invoked I'm not sure what sort of Brexit he intended to support.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Still beats the 600k who signed the Leave with No Deal petition by a long chalk.
    Like we care......
  • Options

Beto's atwitterin'.

Perhaps not the best medium for white bread aspirational stuff, particularly if you're intending going head to head with Trump at the end of it.

Is he trying to parody JFK ?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

What was the Conservative manifesto on rearmament in 1930s?

Winston now seen as sage, who was right, but under this purist view of manifesto, he should have been deselected I reckon.
  • Options

brendan16 said:

If you can't beat 'em....leave 'em!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    Politicians always seem to wear bad sports clobber

https://twitter.com/bendinnery/status/1112037924978208773?s=21
  • Options

Beto's atwitterin'.

The 'smallness of our differences'? That worked well for Marco Rubio...

Ishmael_Z said:

And both are beaten by the nearly 60 million residents of the UK who haven't signed either!
  • Options

Beyond delusion. When will someone gently tell her that is is time to go? Come on Mr May.

Not so. Unless and until the House of Commons can agree a realistic alternative she has every right to keep her Deal on the table. It would be a dereliction of duty not to.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    kinabalu said:

If we're going to be absolutist about what the manifesto said about Brexit, it also said the terms of our future relationship need to be clear at the end of the two year period. As the government has failed to deliver on that, it's not unreasonable for MPs to have different views on what should happen.
  • Options

Beto's atwitterin'.

Bonkers Beto, Trump will no doubt be tweeting if O'Rourke is selected, or something along those lines.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I can't recall that point ('he was elected on a manifesto commitment to etc. etc.) ever being made when Major scrapped Maggie's flagship policy of the Poll Tax. In fact, I recall all the Tories being overjoyed that their bacon had been saved.
  • Options

brendan16 said:

She lost and should admit it and move on to an alternative, which if she is determined to pass the withdrawal agreement would be either a general election or a referendum.

This is exactly the sort of coercive situation that the convention that a defeated measure is not brought back to the House in the same session is intended to protect Parliament from. One hopes that the Speaker will stand firm.
    Almost all the other options on offer on Wednesday required her deal to pass - as they are about future arrangements not withdrawal.

Which is of course why its all politics and posturing. If we don't leave on an agreed exit deal why would we need to enter in a customs union with the EU - as we are in the Customs union anyway.

Nothing would have changed until December 2021 under her deal - bar losing voting rights and MEPs. Parliament would then have had 21 months to agree the future options.
  • Options
    Love the hypocrisy.

When entryists in Labour try and oust Labour MPs that's worrying for democracy, when it happens to a Tory MP it is great for democracy.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980
    tlg86 said:

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Do you think the same of the pensioners who stopped Scottish independence?
    They were certainly a very large part of it
  • Options
    According to Figure 2 in that piece linked to by Richard Tyndall, there are people who earn over £60k who consider themselves to be working class:

I hope no one here falls into that category.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,128

kinabalu said:

Oh dear. What dark consequences are being hinted at for Parris?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Winston now seen as sage, who was right, but under this purist view of manifesto, he should have been deselected I reckon.
    Actually the Conservative policy in the 1930s was re-armament:

' In British history, re-armament covers the period between 1934 and 1939, when a substantial programme of re-arming the nation was undertaken. Re-armament was necessary, because defense spending had gone down from £766 million in 1919–20, to £189 million in 1921–22, to £102 million in 1932.

After World War I, dubbed "The War To End All Wars” and “The Great War”, Britain (along with many other nations) had wound down its military capability. The Ten Year Rule said that a "great war" was not expected in the next ten years with the belief in its impossibility and the folly of preparing for it so that Britain made almost no investment at all in the development of new armament. The British Admiralty, however, requested the suspension of this rule when Japan invaded Manchuria in 1931. The policy was officially abandoned on March 23, 1932, by the Cabinet, four months before Adolf Hitler's Nazis became the largest party in the German Reichstag.
    '

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_re-armament
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

brendan16 said:

Except that the two viable alternatives - no deal and revoke - are both sub optimal
  • Options

Mr. Mariner, point of order: wanting to stay or remain doesn't necessarily indicate such strong emotions as love or hate.

True. The passion though of the likes of Steve Baker. Where does it come from? There must have been some incident in the past. Something very personal.
  • Options

Love the hypocrisy.

When entryists in Labour try and oust Labour MPs that's worrying for democracy, when it happens to a Tory MP it is great for democracy.
    Not that I have a dog in either of those fights, but I wouldn't call either worrying for democracy.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    tlg86 said:

According to Figure 2 in that piece linked to by Richard Tyndall, there are people who earn over £60k who consider themselves to be working class:

A person earning £60k would struggle to buy one bed flat in much of London - they couldn't even afford to buy a house in Dagenham. Earn £60k and live in Northumberland and perhaps its a different ballgame.

Wealth matters now - not income - given the insane price of housing in much of the UK.

As Rachel Reeves observed "The hardest way to make money in this country is to go to work."

Someone on £60k a year aged 30 who rents a flat is not as well off as someone on £30k aged 45 who owns a £2 million house - its all about timing, age, location and luck.

So yes a person on £60k in London who can't afford to buy a one bed flat in their area - probably is working class!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,248
    edited March 2019

kinabalu said:

There was no 'Conservative' manifesto in 1935, but the National Government's manifesto reads thus:

Our influence can be fully exerted only if we are recognised to be strong enough to fulfil any obligations which, jointly with others, we may undertake. The fact is that the actual condition of our defence forces is not satisfactory. We have made it clear that we must in the course of the next few years do what is necessary to repair the gaps in our defences, which have accumulated over the past decade, and we shall in due course present to Parliament our proposals, which will include provisions to ensure that the programme, is carried out without either waste or unreasonable profit to contractors.

So I don't see your point. Churchill was warning about the threat from Hitler. He missed other crucial threats (Italy, Japan) and he wasn't far out of the mainstream on rearming. He wouldn't have been deselected for that. His attitude towards India, however...
  • Options
    If the Tories' rules say the leadership can overturn such a decision then that's a matter for the Tories. No organization is obliged to have to stay powerless if a pocket of their membership goes rogue. In fact, what sensible organization would allow that?
  • Options
    I'm having the same amount of sex now as I did when I was in my twenties.

Very little.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Love the hypocrisy.

Not that I have a dog in either of those fights, but I wouldn't call either worrying for democracy.
    For me it the big issue is that like with a lot of Labour agitators, Mr Grieve's ouster is someone who quite recently was in another party with the express mission of trying to destroy the Tory party.

That does not sit well with me.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

True. The passion though of the likes of Steve Baker. Where does it come from? There must have been some incident in the past. Something very personal.
    According to wikipedia Steve Baker is also a born-again Christian.

If he was American he would likely be obsessing about abortion and guns etc.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Charles said:

brendan16 said:

Except that the two viable alternatives - no deal and revoke - are both sub optimal
    She does not have the consent of the Commons for the Agreement. If she still wants the Agreement she can appeal directly to the people with an election or a referendum. Those are viable alternatives to Revoke or No Deal.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,680
    edited March 2019
    https://twitter.com/robfordmancs/status/1112052239714185216

Those seeing the shifts in the polls as a harbinger of a victorious “people’s vote” campaign should remember what happened in 2017 when May called a snap election based on an apparently insurmountable polling lead. It did not end as expected.

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2019/mar/30/how-do-brexit-voters-feel-about-the-eu-now?CMP=twt_gu
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,970
    Either Everton have suddenly become Brazil in 1970, or West Ham are very, very dire.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Cannot imagine anyone on PB passing themselves as working class in that situation.

It is an interesting situation.

My friend Rob his family is very working class, grew up in a council house, went to a comprehensive. He did a maths degree at a former poly.

To cut a long story short, he now earns a six figure salary and still considers himself working class.

We've occasionally discussed has he ceased to be a member of the working class?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019
    This is exactly the sort of reaction I've sniffed from some of the reactions of less prominent Tories to Grieve today. Brexiters should beware of dismissing these future predictions just because they seem to come mainly from Remainers ; Remainers can still make a split happen.

http://twitter.com/George_Osborne/status/1111901168354119681

This discussion has been closed.