Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As we approach the slightly later than planned day of reckonin

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Within that framework you have a moral obligation to try and make the country as prosperous and successful as possible.

The best way to make the country as prosperous and successful as possible is not leave.

Anything that does not advance the cause of leaving meets your moral requirement.
    Not if it undermines democracy.

But you are well known for loving partial quotations to misrepresent other people’s positions
    The EMA has gone, so whatever else happens, your democratic vote will have left its mark.
    A majority of people voted for change.
    Brexit campaigner Theo Paphitis: “If we vote Brexit, we won’t leave. I am confident there’ll be another renegotiation.”

https://youtu.be/jWKtoG_a_hE
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,838
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Within that framework you have a moral obligation to try and make the country as prosperous and successful as possible.

The best way to make the country as prosperous and successful as possible is not leave.

Anything that does not advance the cause of leaving meets your moral requirement.
    Not if it undermines democracy.

But you are well known for loving partial quotations to misrepresent other people’s positions
    The EMA has gone, so whatever else happens, your democratic vote will have left its mark.
    A majority of people voted for change.
    Well we certainly got that... :(
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    He's always up to something. I wonder what'son his mind now?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

But Richard, it is your problem not Remainers'. Remainers don't have any interest in seeing Brexit work.
    And that’s where the concern arises

The country has chosen to leave the EU, however that is defined

Of course you have the right to argue we should rejoin the EU at some point in the future but your argument implies that it is ok to either undermine the UK or to seek to ignore a democratic vote

I'm arguing neither of those things. When Leavers are still painting themselves in woad and labelling anyone who argues for any form of engagement with the EU as traitors, there is no obligation on those who do not subscribe to the cult to lend their shoulders to the wheel. If you assess that the best way of making the country as prosperous and successful as possible is to let this fiasco sink under its own weight, that's a respectable position. Let Leavers prove you wrong.

Let the muppets show themselves up. They've certainly managed that.
    No. You said very simply that you have no interest in making the democratic choice of the country workable

Your arrogance is distasteful, sir
    If you don't think it's workable as secured there is no moral requirement to engage in a fools' errand, especially one won in such a malign fashion. If those who won the referendum have no interest in your perspective, there is no moral requirement to offer it when it is unwanted.

You can't force people who think that the chosen course of action is malign and idiotic to assist you. You especially can't force them if you're calling them quislings and doubting their patriotism.
    There is a moral requirement to accept the democratic result of a referendum and to seek to optimise the outcome within the framework voted for.
    To accept it? Yes. To work to optimise something you consider misconceived and malign? No.
    Optimise the outcome *for the country* within the constraints set. Not the same.

For example I believe it was a tragedy that Ireland was ever divided. But now it has been, so long as NI wants to remain part of the U.K. it should be able to.

And I will work to optimise the outcome for the U.K. within the constraint of a divided island.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Tony Blair claims that TIG demonstrates there's a "big open space of land that's fertile" in the centre of British politics. If anything they seem to be well on their way to proving the opposite.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Next Tory leader.

Gove 5.2 / 6.4
    Johnson 5.5 / 5.7
    Hunt 9.8 / 10.5
    Raab 11 / 11.5
    Javid 12.5 / 14.5

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.125574963
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

What is so frustrating is that there are some of us on the Leave side who proposed exactly what Alastair is talking about within a day or so of the referendum. But of course we have no power and no political ambition so were never going to be listened to.

It is also worth pointing out that some Remainers' answer to the suggestion that we should treat this as a cross party/cross opinion issue was to say stuff that this will be your problem not ours. Which is hardly on keeping with the sort of reconciliation that Alastair talks about.

But Richard, it is your problem not Remainers'. Remainers don't have any interest in seeing Brexit work.
    And that’s where the concern arises

The country has chosen to leave the EU, however that is defined

Of course you have the right to argue we should rejoin the EU at some point in the future but your argument implies that it is ok to either undermine the UK or to seek to ignore a democratic vote

I'm arguing neither of those things. When Leavers are still painting themselves in woad and labelling anyone who argues for any form of engagement with the EU as traitors, there is no obligation on those who do not subscribe to the cult to lend their shoulders to the wheel. If you assess that the best way of making the country as prosperous and successful as possible is to let this fiasco sink under its own weight, that's a respectable position. Let Leavers prove you wrong.

No. You said very simply that you have no interest in making the democratic choice of the country workable

If you don't think it's workable as secured there is no moral requirement to engage in a fools' errand, especially one won in such a malign fashion. If those who won the referendum have no interest in your perspective, there is no moral requirement to offer it when it is unwanted.

You can't force people who think that the chosen course of action is malign and idiotic to assist you. You especially can't force them if you're calling them quislings and doubting their patriotism.
    There is a moral requirement to accept the democratic result of a referendum and to seek to optimise the outcome within the framework voted for.
    Would you like to tell the ERG that, please?
    I have. Repeatedly. (They aren’t talking to me anymore)
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Matt is spot on again.

Not sure we are going to resolve this without bloodshed TBH
    I think they should follow the example that Farage and Geldof set and have a series of indicative boats.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,838
    He's turning into quite a handsome chap. Most late-middle-age men who lose weight turn into a poorly mummified eighty something woman, like Nigel Lawson did. Does he do exercise?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,964
    Charles said:

Optimise the outcome *for the country* within the constraints set. Not the same.

For example I believe it was a tragedy that Ireland was ever divided. But now it has been, so long as NI wants to remain part of the U.K. it should be able to.

And I will work to optimise the outcome for the U.K. within the constraint of a divided island.

I think.it is worth reminding Alastair that a few days after the referendum he wrote that .

"The thread of allegiance has been broken."

He turned his back on the country as soon as it voted to Leave and his petulance has continued ever since.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,293
    kle4 said:

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Whats happened to t'petition stuck on 3,420,786 for 15 mins now

The deep state.
    It has passed 3.5 million
    You mean the deep state is not able to control us? Damn it.
    It's been announced that due to the high rate of sign ups the total is no longer being updated in real time.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

To accept it? Yes. To work to optimise something you consider misconceived and malign? No.

But I think the optimal outcome for Britain, given the referendum campaign fought, is for it to fail under its own contradictions. This judgement has been reinforced by the way in which those who gleefully pandered to xenophobia have conducted themselves since. So I will watch and wait for that.
  • Options

Charles said:

I think.it is worth reminding Alastair that a few days after the referendum he wrote that .

He turned his back on the country as soon as it voted to Leave and his petulance has continued ever since.
    I stand by that. The country that could vote for such a vile campaign is not the country I once loved. The fiasco since springs from that.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,329
    viewcode said:

He's turning into quite a handsome chap.
    "Should've gone to SpecSavers!" :lol:
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296

viewcode said:

He's turning into quite a handsome chap.
    "Should've gone to SpecSavers!" :lol:
    To judge from the frames, he did.
  • Options

Charles said:

I stand by that. The country that could vote for such a vile campaign is not the country I once loved. The fiasco since springs from that.
    Well in that case your article is sanctimonious, hypocritical rubbish. You don't get to say you have turned your back on the country and then moan when no one reaches out to you.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

Whats happened to t'petition stuck on 3,420,786 for 15 mins now

The deep state.
    It has passed 3.5 million
    As I mentioned earlier, at the current rate - assuming a lot, but perfectly possible - it will reach 17.4 million after the original deadline, but before the Macron deadline - in about a fortnight.
    Not sure about the maths there. The rate of votes added is around 1 million every 12 hours. At that rate the 17.4 million will hit on the 29th March late evening.

At some point we will hit saturation in certain areas. Bristol West is now at 16% and leads closely from Edinburgh North. Areas such as South Yorkshire are the home of Brexit and sit at around 2%.
    I stand corrected - I thought it was collecting one million every 24 hours. It would be richly ironic if it reaches around 17.4 million just around the time of the original deadline.
  • Options

Charles said:

Well in that case your article is sanctimonious, hypocritical rubbish. You don't get to say you have turned your back on the country and then moan when no one reaches out to you.
    As I say, this is the winners’ problem. You can rail at me personally as much as you like and at the end it will still be the same problem for the winners that none of them have engaged with in three years.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122

Charles said:

I think his response to the Leave campaign's lies and barely-disguised xenophobia was entirely valid. Having won a narrow victory based on that campaign it was the duty of Leavers to reach out. Of course they didn't, because it's not in their nature. They have now fucked up their project through incompetence and stupidity. If they want to rescue something from the rubble, they need to reach out now. I'm not holding my breath.
  • Options

Charles said:

As I say, this is the winners’ problem. You can rail at me personally as much as you like and at the end it will still be the same problem for the winners that none of them have engaged with in three years.
    Clearly that is yet another false statement from you given that I and other Leavers on here have tried to find a consensus ever since the referendum but you and your closed mind simply weren't interested in any form of compromise. You reveal your hypocrisy in every posting.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited March 2019
    It seems to me that the most significant development today is that the DUP's opposition to the deal, far from softening, seems to be hardening:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2019/mar/22/brexit-latest-news-eu-summit-extend-delay-article-50-eu-says-uk-will-leave-in-three-weeks-with-no-deal-unless-mps-back-agreement-or-decide-plan-b-politics-live?page=with:block-5c94fefce4b0a5422e639bb8#block-5c94fefce4b0a5422e639bb8

That means not only that the current deal is dead, but also that they they won't vote for any deal which includes the backstop, and therefore that they won't vote for any deal at all. But they say they "want a deal which delivers on the referendum result and which works for all parts of the UK and for the EU as well." It's unicorn-hunting.

Therefore, if we are to find a way out of the impasse, it's going to have to be done without DUP votes. Is that possible? I'd have thought very difficult indeed (and that's without even considering whether they then withdraw support from the Conservative minority government).

None of this bodes well for any kind of orderly resolution of the current stalemate.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148
    Charles said:

DougSeal said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

What is so frustrating is that there are some of us on the Leave side who proposed exactly what Alastair is talking about within a day or so of the referendum. But of course we have no power and no political ambition so were never going to be listened to.

I

Brexit became unworkable on 29 March 2017. May lost the chance to get remainers on board a few months earlier with “citizens of nowhere”. You call people disloyal, traitorous even, and then act offended when they don’t do as you wish?
    Bollocks

Malign individuals deliberately misrepresented what she meant by “citizens of nowhere” - it was tax-dodging individuals and companies not ordinary Remain voters. Sadly people like you fell for it.
    Don’t give me that crap. Go you think I’m green? Can you point me to the reference to tax in the paragraph that read -

“If you believe you’re a citizen of the world, you’re a citizen of nowhere. You don’t understand what the very word ‘citizenship’ means.”.

Yes, there was a reference to international tax dodgers, but that came later in the speech. Here she was making a very deliberate nationalistic point that came from a long line of “rootless cosmopolitan” tropes that only lead one way. Remainers have been maligned and told they don’t count since the referendum. How many posts here have started with “as a leave voter I didn’t vote for...”? Our views have been discounted from day one “Remoaners”, “Suck it up”, “We didn’t vote for a deal”. How do we work with that? EEA? Not “real” Brexit? Customs Union? Same. Now, seemingly, only leaving with no deal honours the result

In a democracy or a dictatorship you have a duty to oppose where you think that a mistake has been made, even if you are outnumbered 65 million to one. There is no duty to aid and abet a catastrophe.
  • Options

Charles said:

Clearly that is yet another false statement from you given that I and other Leavers on here have tried to find a consensus ever since the referendum but you and your closed mind simply weren't interested in any form of compromise. You reveal your hypocrisy in every posting.
    Yeah, you can feel the consensus-building on a daily basis, here and in the nation at large. Those poor Leavers, they’re like a cross between St Francis of Assisi and Mother Bloody Theresa. If it wasn’t for the stuff about traitors, quislings, enemies of the people, citizens of nowhere and crushing saboteurs...
  • Options
    Charles said:

Bollocks

Malign individuals deliberately misrepresented what she meant by “citizens of nowhere” - it was tax-dodging individuals and companies not ordinary Remain voters. Sadly people like you fell for it.

That's bollocks. I watched the speech live in its entirety. I have never dodged a penny in tax. I heard the speech as a petty-minded attack on people who are open to the world, and I can tell you that work colleagues and friends heard it in exactly those terms too. People from abroad who have made their home here and pay their taxes told me they never imagined they'd hear a British PM say something like that. It was a watershed moment for many (not me, I've had May's number for years).
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

It seems to me that the most significant development today is that the DUP's opposition to the deal, far from softening, seems to be hardening:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2019/mar/22/brexit-latest-news-eu-summit-extend-delay-article-50-eu-says-uk-will-leave-in-three-weeks-with-no-deal-unless-mps-back-agreement-or-decide-plan-b-politics-live?page=with:block-5c94fefce4b0a5422e639bb8#block-5c94fefce4b0a5422e639bb8

That means not only that the current deal is dead, but also that they they won't vote for any deal which includes the backstop, and therefore that they won't vote for any deal at all. But they say they "want a deal which delivers on the referendum result and which works for all parts of the UK and for the EU as well." It's unicorn-hunting.

Therefore, if we are to find a way out of the impasse, it's going to have to be done without DUP votes. Is that possible? I'd have thought very difficult indeed (and that's without even considering whether they then withdraw support from the Conservative minority government).

None of this bodes well for any kind of orderly resolution of the current stalemate.

I really hate this phrase unicorn-hunting. One country being in control of its own customs and not trapped in a "backstop" with its neighbours isn't a unicorn, its normal status quo.

The backstop is the real unicorn. I've asked many times and never had a reply can you name me ANY nation in the world which is trapped whereby it is legally bound to follow another nations (or group of nations) customs and regulations without getting a say in them and without a right to exit that arrangement?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044

Charles said:

Richard, you might have done many things since the referendum, but 'consensus building' isn't one of them.

Screaming at people and insulting them, yes. I think you'll agree that that's an odd way to build a consensus.
  • Options

Charles said:

Bollocks

That's bollocks. I watched the speech live in its entirety. I have never dodged a penny in tax. I heard the speech as a petty-minded attack on people who are open to the world, and I can tell you that work colleagues and friends heard it in exactly those terms too. People from abroad who have made their home here and pay their taxes told me they never imagined they'd hear a British PM say something like that. It was a watershed moment for many (not me, I've had May's number for years).
    Here you go:

But we also value something else: the spirit of citizenship.

That spirit that means you respect the bonds and obligations that make our society work. That means a commitment to the men and women who live around you, who work for you, who buy the goods and services you sell.

That spirit that means recognising the social contract that says you train up local young people before you take on cheap labour from overseas.

That spirit that means you do as others do, and pay your fair share of tax.

But today, too many people in positions of power behave as though they have more in common with international elites than with the people down the road, the people they employ, the people they pass in the street.

But if you believe you’re a citizen of the world, you’re a citizen of nowhere. You don’t understand what the very word ‘citizenship’ means.

So if you’re a boss who earns a fortune but doesn’t look after your staff…

An international company that treats tax laws as an optional extra…

A household name that refuses to work with the authorities even to fight terrorism…

A director who takes out massive dividends while knowing that the company pension is about to go bust…

I’m putting you on warning. This can’t go on anymore.

A change has got to come. And this party – the Conservative Party – is going to make that change.

Charles was entirely right. It's a disgrace that so many people have chosen to misrepresent what Theresa May said.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    AndyJS said:

23,087 people have signed the petition in Bristol West so far.

https://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/?petition=241584

Remain central !
  • Options

I really hate this phrase unicorn-hunting. One country being in control of its own customs and not trapped in a "backstop" with its neighbours isn't a unicorn, its normal status quo.

The backstop is the real unicorn. I've asked many times and never had a reply can you name me ANY nation in the world which is trapped whereby it is legally bound to follow another nations (or group of nations) customs and regulations without getting a say in them and without a right to exit that arrangement?
    You can hate what you like, but an orderly exit is not available without the backstop.
  • Options

Charles said:

Bollocks

That spirit that means you respect the bonds and obligations that make our society work. That means a commitment to the men and women who live around you, who work for you, who buy the goods and services you sell.

That spirit that means recognising the social contract that says you train up local young people before you take on cheap labour from overseas.

But today, too many people in positions of power behave as though they have more in common with international elites than with the people down the road, the people they employ, the people they pass in the street.

But if you believe you’re a citizen of the world, you’re a citizen of nowhere. You don’t understand what the very word ‘citizenship’ means.

A household name that refuses to work with the authorities even to fight terrorism…

A director who takes out massive dividends while knowing that the company pension is about to go bust…

A change has got to come. And this party – the Conservative Party – is going to make that change.

You thought that was aimed at you?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

But I think the optimal outcome for Britain, given the referendum campaign fought, is for it to fail under its own contradictions. This judgement has been reinforced by the way in which those who gleefully pandered to xenophobia have conducted themselves since. So I will watch and wait for that.
    To desire the country to fail, because it is leaving a set of treaties is, to put it kindly, a niche view. Many Americans are big fans of NAFTA I am sure, but wouldn't desire America to fail if it left.
  • Options

You can hate what you like, but an orderly exit is not available without the backstop.
    If that's the case it is only because the EU are demanding the impossible. They're demanding unicorns. Again can you name any nation in the world in that situation?

Unicorns don't exist, so the backstop can't exist either. So its either no deal, or no exit.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

To desire the country to fail, because it is leaving a set of treaties is, to put it kindly, a niche view. Many Americans are big fans of NAFTA I am sure, but wouldn't desire America to fail if it left.
    Brexit to fail.
  • Options
    If we're going to cancel Brexit the resources we will gain compared to the counterfactual WTO exit should be put into the creation of a Stanford Torus
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Brexit to fail.
    Ah I see.
  • Options
    Remain probably means the ERG will win the war within the Tories to be honest.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

That's a misreading, I think, Lucky. He means for Brexit to fail.

It's a view I have some sympathy with and why I have become calmer recently about the prospect of No Deal. Sometimes we just have to learn things the hard way.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,551
    edited March 2019

Tony Blair claims that TIG demonstrates there's a "big open space of land that's fertile" in the centre of British politics. If anything they seem to be well on their way to proving the opposite.

The gap is not there. The gap is in the area of centre left/social democrat economics combined with social traditionalism/conservatism. It is too often called populism. (Matthew Goodwin explains it well).
  • Options
    edited March 2019

If that's the case it is only because the EU are demanding the impossible. They're demanding unicorns. Again can you name any nation in the world in that situation?

Unicorns don't exist, so the backstop can't exist either. So its either no deal, or no exit.
    In that case no exit is the only remaining option which any responsible government could go for, although for my part I really can't see what the fuss is about. The backstop is an exceptionally good deal from our point of view, what used to be called the 'common market' without the freedom of movement obligations, the CAP, the CFP, ever-closer union, the political structures - and without having to pay a centime in fees. What's not to like? The only drawback is that we wouldn't have a say in regulations which the Leavers claim we don't have any real say in anyway, and which in practice we'll follow even if there's no deal at all.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Tony Blair 'Let us stop trying to seek the Brexit Holy Grail and we might resolve this Brexit mess'

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/stop-seeking-the-brexit-holy-grail-and-we-might-just-resolve-this-mess-a4098531.html
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If the Tories are serious about remaining the Party of Government, they should shrug of the ERG and its allies.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

If the Tories are serious about remaining the Party of Government, they should shrug of the ERG and its allies.
    Agreed. We wets want our party back!
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

The gap is not there. The gap is in the area of centre left/social democrat economics combined with social traditionalism/conservatism.

So you don't think social nothing combined with economic nothing is a winner?
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

The gap is not there. The gap is in the area of centre left/social democrat economics combined with social traditionalism/conservatism.

Like a kind of National but also Socialist kind of party? Sounds great! What would you call it?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Absolutely. But we largely seem to have forgotten wanting to be a serious party of government. Unfortunately Labour have also chosen the same moment to do the same.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Remain Tories are massively overrepresented by their own admission here. The constituency party IS the ERG as much as Labour is basically Momentum
  • Options

Charles said:

Bollocks

I believe I am a citizen of the world. So yes.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

1) Pro-deal Tories vote for Kyle-Wilson or similar to get brexit done
    2) Brexit with deal, or don't, depending on the result

This is the only known way out of the treacle, as has been clear since at least the first MV.
  • Options
    He lost the weight to fight his type 2 diabetes... surely you aren't wishing that on him...
  • Options
    As Kwasi Kwarteng made clear today if the Deal is rejected again the Government will allow free votes on all alternative options from revoke, EUref2, single market and/or Customs Union or No Deal and Parliament will decide whether Brexit goes ahead if at all
  • Options
    Since the Conservative party is currently inconceivable as a choice to consider voting for, they might as well go full nutjob.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

The gap is not there. The gap is in the area of centre left/social democrat economics combined with social traditionalism/conservatism. It is too often called populism. (Matthew Goodwin explains it well).
    Corbynism combined with the ERG and UKIP/The Brexit Party then
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Charles said:

DougSeal said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I

Brexit became unworkable on 29 March 2017. May lost the chance to get remainers on board a few months earlier with “citizens of nowhere”. You call people disloyal, traitorous even, and then act offended when they don’t do as you wish?
    Bollocks

Don’t give me that crap. Go you think I’m green? Can you point me to the reference to tax in the paragraph that read -

“If you believe you’re a citizen of the world, you’re a citizen of nowhere. You don’t understand what the very word ‘citizenship’ means.”.

Yes, there was a reference to international tax dodgers, but that came later in the speech. Here she was making a very deliberate nationalistic point that came from a long line of “rootless cosmopolitan” tropes that only lead one way. Remainers have been maligned and told they don’t count since the referendum. How many posts here have started with “as a leave voter I didn’t vote for...”? Our views have been discounted from day one “Remoaners”, “Suck it up”, “We didn’t vote for a deal”. How do we work with that? EEA? Not “real” Brexit? Customs Union? Same. Now, seemingly, only leaving with no deal honours the result

In a democracy or a dictatorship you have a duty to oppose where you think that a mistake has been made, even if you are outnumbered 65 million to one. There is no duty to aid and abet a catastrophe.
    First paragraph of the link (I think intelligence squared is unbiased) sums it up

https://www.intelligencesquared.com/events/if-you-believe-you-are-a-citizen-of-the-world-you-are-a-citizen-of-nowhere/
  • Options
    I reckon MV3 will go backwards, can't see reasonably tough Brexiteers like Philip Davies and Scott Mann voting again for a clearly doomed deal.
  • Options

Charles said:

Bollocks

Here you go:

Charles was entirely right. It's a disgrace that so many people have chosen to misrepresent what Theresa May said.
    "Patriots should stop hating people from other countries."

See a problem with that statement? I said "patriots", but I meant "xenophobes". I bet that people who self-identify as patriots but dislike xenophobia would be pretty unhappy about hearing that, right? So how do you think somebody who self-identifies as "citizen of the world" but doesn't like tax-dodging would feel about what May said?
  • Options
    edited March 2019

This is the only known way out of the treacle, as has been clear since at least the first MV.

I used to think that was a way out, but having seen the hardening of attitudes in the Conservative party, plus the evident opposition of the Labour leadership and quite a number of Labour MPs, I'm sceptical that it's feasible or that it would even pass the first hurdle of a vote in parliament. It's near-impossible for parliament to impose a referendum on an executive which doesn't want one, and even if that weren't the case there would be guerrilla warfare by the hard-liners to stop it.

But who knows? All options look impossible.
  • Options
    It would be nice, as a thought exercise, to see if there's really any common ground between hardcore remainers and leavers on PB, on even the blandest and most inoffensive aspirations. For example, we appear to both want the country to be wealthy. We appear to both want the country to be outward looking. Perhaps there are more examples of common ground.
  • Options
    Can Graham Brady receive letters again yet ?
  • Options
    edited March 2019

I used to think that was a way out, but having seen the hardening of attitudes in the Conservative party, plus the evident opposition of the Labour leadership and quite a number of Labour MPs, I'm sceptical that it's feasible. It's near-impossible for parliament to impose a referendum on an executive which doesn't want one, and even if that weren't the case there would be guerrilla warfare by the hard-liners to stop it.

But who knows? All options look impossible.
    This is also true, you need the PM to at best actively support it, or at least tacitly condone it.

Failing that I think we're just looking at indefinite extensions (Gimp Remain).
  • Options

See a problem with that statement? I said "patriots", but I meant "xenophobes". I bet that people who self-identify as patriots but dislike xenophobia would be pretty unhappy about hearing that, right? So how do you think somebody who self-identifies as "citizen of the world" but doesn't like tax-dodging would feel about what May said?

Oh, it was a silly speech. That's no reason to take one phrase out of context and try to pretend it referred to people that it quite unambiguously didn't refer to.
  • Options

It would be nice, as a thought exercise, to see if there's really any common ground between hardcore remainers and leavers on PB, on even the blandest and most inoffensive aspirations. For example, we appear to both want the country to be wealthy. We appear to both want the country to be outward looking. Perhaps there are more examples of common ground.

There is plenty of evidence that a lot of Leavers want the country to be inward looking and are willing to sacrifice wealth for leaving the EU. So even your bland examples fall down.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    HYUFD said:

As Kwasi Kwarteng made clear today if the Deal is rejected again the Government will allow free votes on all alternative options from revoke, EUref2, single market and/or Customs Union or No Deal and Parliament will decide whether Brexit goes ahead if at all

My guess (at this stage) is that all of them will fail. Those wanting 'no deal' have an incentive to vote against everything except that (which won't pass) and those who want revoke (eg; SNP/PC) have an incentive to vote against everything except that (which also won't pass). So that takes roughly 150-200 votes out of the equation before we start looking at preferences.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986

We appear to enjoy attacking each other on niche political websites.
  • Options

Charles said:

Bollocks

I believe I am a citizen of the world. So yes.
    First time I've ever seen the full text. It's obscene.
  • Options
    A week to go till the Tories insane porno ban isnt it ?
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Pulpstar said:

It is not a porno ban, just an age vericatio requirement to access it e.g. with driving license etc which 67% of the public supports

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/technology/articles-reports/2019/03/18/britains-porn-watchers-likely-be-caught-their-pant
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

Corbynism combined with the ERG and UKIP/The Brexit Party then
    DUP that is. Wonder how they'd fare running candidates over the water?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Has anyone checked whether it breaches EU law?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    AndyJS said:

Revokers struggling to get 5m

Currently 14m short of 17.4m

Leavers are less likely to be online of course, so it's not a level playing field.
    Where do you suppose leavers are? Discussing matters of state in coffee shops?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

It is not a porno ban, just an age vericatio requirement to access it e.g. with driving license etc which 70% of the public supports
    Watch that percentage drop like a stone as a big chunk of the adult male population realises they need to tell the government before they have a hand shandy.
  • Options

In that case no exit is the only remaining option which any responsible government could go for, although for my part I really can't see what the fuss is about. The backstop is an exceptionally good deal from our point of view, what used to be called the 'common market' without the freedom of movement obligations, the CAP, the CFP, ever-closer union, the political structures - and without having to pay a centime in fees. What's not to like? The only drawback is that we wouldn't have a say in regulations which the Leavers claim we don't have any real say in anyway, and which in practice we'll follow even if there's no deal at all.
    Or customs, or have a right to exit the arrangement.

It is an undemocratic atrocity. If there was a right to exit it, then yes I'd agree. But to give up our right to elect the people who set our regulations . . . forever . . . is not something I am prepared to do.
  • Options

Oh, it was a silly speech. That's no reason to take one phrase out of context and try to pretend it referred to people that it quite unambiguously didn't refer to.
    You can hardly call it unambiguous if different people watched the same speech and took entirely different messages from it. It's all part and parcel of May's repulsive provincial Little Englander mindset. It is also of course the most breathtaking hypocrisy as the Tory party exists to enable the kind of people May was referring to, or "our donors" as she calls them behind closed doors.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Pulpstar said:

He can receive letters but they can't be officially tallied until 12 months after the previous vote of confidence.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044

Pulpstar said:

They would, but anyone interested in it finds their keyboard's too sticky to Google. ;)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I thought they were still trying to figure out how it would actually work.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    edited March 2019
    Considering oneself a “citizen of the world” is a niche hobby and I say that working in an office which is genuinely multinational. But the May speech sought to associate anyone who disagreed with her vision of a quasi-totalitarian state (if you have nothing to hide, you shouldn’t be worried etc) with being the enemy. To disagree is to be a traitor. That’s my take of the context.

She’s the small minded bigot inadvertently promoted to the big stage, Corbyn’s Labour would be no different. In both their hands there’s nothing liberal about democracy - both seek to draw their authority from “the people” in the most malevolent way possible.

• Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

It is not a porno ban, just an age vericatio requirement to access it e.g. with driving license etc which 70% of the public supports
    Watch that percentage drop like a stone as a big chunk of the adult male population realises they need to tell the government before they have a hand shandy.
    Aren't they the 30%?
  • Options

There is plenty of evidence that a lot of Leavers want the country to be inward looking and are willing to sacrifice wealth for leaving the EU. So even your bland examples fall down.
    I don't want to rehearse the arguments, but I don't know any leaver who thinks we will be poorer in the long term. We just have very different views on the optimal circumstances for wealth creation. At any rate, we must concede that we can potentially prosper inside or outside, it would be silly to argue otherwise.

Perhaps leavers do want us to be more inward looking as a trend than outward looking.

Perhaps there is more common ground in that both groups are in favour of rigorously upholding the law.
  • Options
    matt said:

Considering oneself a “citizen of the world” is a niche hobby and I say that working in an office which is genuinely multinational. But the May speech sought to associate anyone who disagreed with her vision of a quasi-totalitarian state (if you have nothing to hide, you shouldn’t be worried etc) with being the enemy. To disagree is to be a traitor. That’s my take of the context.

She’s the small minded bigot inadvertently promoted to the big stage, Corbyn’s Labour would be no different. In both their hands there’s nothing liberal about democracy - both seek to draw their authority from “the people” in the most malevolent way possible.

Agreed.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

He can receive letters but they can't be officially tallied until 12 months after the previous vote of confidence.
    Would be interesting if 51% of MPs signed an open letter calling for her to go.

Though I imagine to get to 51% might take some payroll vote MPs so that probably can't happen.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

We appear to enjoy attacking each other on niche political websites.
    Truth. :D
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Pulpstar said:

AndyJS said:

23,087 people have signed the petition in Bristol West so far.

https://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/?petition=241584

Remain central !
    The strangest experience is walking from other parts of Bristol into Bristol West. It's almost like another country, let alone a different city. A pint costs about double what it does in the city centre.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Oh, Is it on hold - unlike MTD !
  • Options

You can hardly call it unambiguous if different people watched the same speech and took entirely different messages from it. It's all part and parcel of May's repulsive provincial Little Englander mindset. It is also of course the most breathtaking hypocrisy as the Tory party exists to enable the kind of people May was referring to, or "our donors" as she calls them behind closed doors.
    Of course it's unambiguous. She helpfully gives a bunch of examples of what she means,and she explains exactly what the context is.

Sure, people who dislike her or dislike the Tories or hate Brexit decided to take offence by deliberately misunderstanding or (more likely) not even bothering to find out what she actually said. And it's true that a smarter politician would have been careful to give them less scope for such misrepresentation. But it's still misrepresentation.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Only 28% of those who watch porn every day and only 48% of those who watch it 1 to 3 times a week back the proposals anyway but as most of the population do not watch porn that frequently 67% of all voters back the plans

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/technology/articles-reports/2019/03/18/britains-porn-watchers-likely-be-caught-their-pant
  • Options

I don't want to rehearse the arguments, but I don't know any leaver who thinks we will be poorer in the long term. We just have very different views on the optimal circumstances for wealth creation. At any rate, we must concede that we can potentially prosper inside or outside, it would be silly to argue otherwise.

Perhaps leavers do want us to be more inward looking as a trend than outward looking.

Perhaps there is more common ground in that both groups are in favour of rigorously upholding the law.
    I don’t notice that either. In the last two years Leavers have labelled judges enemies of the people and sought to abolish the House of Lords when they acted in a manner Leavers didn’t like.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

They were researching it online but got distracted.
  • Options

Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I'm arguing neither of those things. When Leavers are still painting themselves in woad and labelling anyone

It's a view I have some sympathy with and why I have become calmer recently about the prospect of No Deal. Sometimes we just have to learn things the hard way.
    His original argument was that because he disagreed with the decision to leave he had no obligation to help the country prosper
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

Though I imagine to get to 51% might take some payroll vote MPs so that probably can't happen.
    May is irrelevant and given last December's vote cannot be challenged until the Brexit process is over, Parliament is about to take control and move towards BINO as Kwarteng made clear today
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Not on hold exactly, but the date and exact arrangements haven't yet been finalised:

The legislation to introduce the age restriction was approved by parliament two years ago but the implementation date has been repeatedly delayed. Despite speculation the ban could be implemented on 1 April, those with knowledge of the process say there is no chance of that date being met.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/mar/16/uk-online-porn-age-verification-launch
  • Options
    Very strange — the total number of signatures has increased several times but Bristol West has been stuck on 23,087.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

His original argument was that because he disagreed with the decision to leave he had no obligation to help the country prosper
    I have no obligation to help Brexit prosper. I don’t.

I would argue that you had a much clearer obligation not to fall in behind xenophobic lies in the referendum campaign. But Leavers en masse decided that was ok in the circumstances.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Not on hold exactly, but the date and exact arrangements haven't yet been finalised:

The legislation to introduce the age restriction was approved by parliament two years ago but the implementation date has been repeatedly delayed. Despite speculation the ban could be implemented on 1 April, those with knowledge of the process say there is no chance of that date being met.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2019/mar/16/uk-online-porn-age-verification-launch
    Ah, the wanking tax. A sure fire vote winner.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Of course it's unambiguous. She helpfully gives a bunch of examples of what she means,and she explains exactly what the context is.

Sure, people who dislike her or dislike the Tories or hate Brexit decided to take offence by deliberately misunderstanding or (more likely) not even bothering to find out what she actually said. And it's true that a smarter politician would have been careful to give them less scope for such misrepresentation. But it's still misrepresentation.

The same happened with Thatcher of course and the famous "no such thing as society" quote. Listen to the full quote and nobody reasonable could disagree with it. Take it out of context and its twisted to mean the opposite of what she was saying.

I think we have gone through a period when too many children and people have been given to understand “I have a problem, it is the Government's job to cope with it!” or “I have a problem, I will go and get a grant to cope with it!” “I am homeless, the Government must house me!” and so they are casting their problems on society and who is society? There is no such thing! There are individual men and women and there are families and no government can do anything except through people and people look to themselves first. It is our duty to look after ourselves and then also to help look after our neighbour and life is a reciprocal business and people have got the entitlements too much in mind without the obligations, because there is no such thing as an entitlement unless someone has first met an obligation and it is, I think, one of the tragedies in which many of the benefits we give, which were meant to reassure people that if they were sick or ill there was a safety net and there was help, that many of the benefits which were meant to help people who were unfortunate—“It is all right. We joined together and we have these insurance schemes to look after it”. That was the objective, but somehow there are some people who have been manipulating the system and so some of those help and benefits that were meant to say to people: “All right, if you cannot get a job, you shall have a basic standard of living!” but when people come and say: “But what is the point of working? I can get as much on the dole!” You say: “Look! It is not from the dole. It is your neighbour who is supplying it and if you can earn your own living then really you have a duty to do it and you will feel very much better!”

There is also something else I should say to them: “If that does not give you a basic standard, you know, there are ways in which we top up the standard. You can get your housing benefit.”
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

AndyJS said:

Pulpstar said:

May is irrelevant and given last December's vote cannot be challenged until the Brexit process is over, Parliament is about to take control and move towards BINO as Kwarteng made clear today
    Very hard to imagine parliament voting for any actual version of BINO. I mean, they may vote to do BINO, but once you negotiate an actual thing you still have to pass it, and any gain you make on the left you'll lose on the right.
  • Options
    But it went too far. If children have a problem, it is society that is at fault. There is no such thing as society. There is living tapestry of men and women and people and the beauty of that tapestry and the quality of our lives will depend upon how much each of us is prepared to take responsibility for ourselves and each of us prepared to turn round and help by our own efforts those who are unfortunate. And the worst things we have in life, in my view, are where children who are a great privilege and a trust—they are the fundamental great trust, but they do not ask to come into the world, we bring them into the world, they are a miracle, there is nothing like the miracle of life—we have these little innocents and the worst crime in life is when those children, who would naturally have the right to look to their parents for help, for comfort, not only just for the food and shelter but for the time, for the understanding, turn round and not only is that help not forthcoming, but they get either neglect or worse than that, cruelty.

Hit character limit.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,402
    I just bought Spice by the Spice Girls on iTunes.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,293
    AndyJS said:

Very strange — the total number of signatures has increased several times but Bristol West has been stuck on 23,087.

They have turned the auto-update off to reduce the load on the site. My guess is that the gross total is being updated more often than the constituency breakdown.
This discussion has been closed.