Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As we approach the slightly later than planned day of reckonin

Comments

• kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,132

+1 If it is wrecked I'm strongly for revoke.

Me too.

But please god do it like a man rather than abuse the public with another referendum.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,415
    An interesting article on Ferrari's problems with tyre usage, for Morris Dancer to digest ahead of next weekend's GP.
    https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/tech-factors-hurt-ferrari-australia/4356509/

Whether it's enough is questionable, but expect the red cars to do better.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,571

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Its a bad time BREXIT and Local Elections don't mix

I'll be marching tomorrow. There is only one issue on the agenda at the moment.
    Palestine

Sincerely yours,
    Jeremy Corbyn.
    No prizes for guessing what our CLP had a motion on last month. Special prize for guessing the previous month's topic...
    Ours had one on a 2nd Referendum defeated 17 to 62
  • _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Palestine

Sincerely yours,
    Jeremy Corbyn.
    No prizes for guessing what our CLP had a motion on last month. Special prize for guessing the previous month's topic...
    Just out of interest, what is your reason for being a Leaver? What do you hope to get out of it?
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821

Is this the #CorbynsCustomsUnion thread?

Genuine question.

when the EU say the current deal is the only deal they can offer and only one possible - is that based on TMay's red-lines basis OR is it the case even if Jezza (but actually Starmer) were doing the negotiations? if the latter then this CCU stuff is as pointless as the unicorns and owls isn't it?
    The red lines primarily effect the PD, not the WA which is about settling debts and the backstop - which is a function of the red lines. So loosening of the PD would delight the EU - and depending on how loose, may substantially reduce the need for or eliminate the backstop.
    The backstop is not a function of the red lines. It is there because the EU think there is no guarantee that a suitable agreement obviating the need (as they see it) for border checks will have been reached by the end of the transition period. You can see their point; to put it mildly, recent events won't have encouraged them to see the UK as an entity they can rely on.
  • notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    _Anazina_ said:

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Palestine

Sincerely yours,
    Jeremy Corbyn.
    Just out of interest, what is your reason for being a Leaver? What do you hope to get out of it?
    A good kicking to all those people who think they know best. 17 million f offs to you all.
    edited March 2019

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Palestine

Sincerely yours,
    Jeremy Corbyn.
    Chris Williamson let back in
    Tony Blair to be kicked out
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,415
    kinabalu said:

Agree with much of the Header but in one important respect I don't.

I view May's Deal as the platform for a 'softish' Brexit that neither panders to Hard Leavers nor tramples roughshod over Remainers.

The only legally binding part of the Deal is the WA, which via the Backstop steers to a closely aligned Future Relationship.

This displeases Hard Leavers, being less than a clean break, and it displeases Hard Remainers, being less than staying in the EU.

It is, in other words, just the sort of compromise that one would have hoped and expected the government to have negotiated.

Except it hangs on those voting for it having confidence in the government which will administer the period of the WA, and negotiate what is to follow.

That confidence is now wholly lacking, so May's deal is going to fail.
    Particularly as No Deal is no longer an immediate gun to the head of Parliament (however much it is still a serious risk).
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    Hmm, not so sure about that. On past form, MPs will go for an option involving unicorns prancing at the end of a rainbow.
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,591

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Palestine

Sincerely yours,
    Jeremy Corbyn.
    Well your CLP must be an outlier and not only because it opposes a referendum - less than 80 people at a meeting must be very unusual these days - our are closer to 300.
  • _Anazina_ said:

Mr. Pulpstar, stop right now, thank you very much.

[As an aside, Ginger Spice is now married to Red Bull team principal Christian Horner].

Geri Halliwell looks far, far better now than she did then. She is like a fine wine – she gets better with age.
    Millions of quid in the bank and never doing a days hard graft in your life has that effect.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,475
    notme2 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Palestine

Sincerely yours,
    Jeremy Corbyn.
    A good kicking to all those people who think they know best. 17 million f offs to you all.
    A metaphorical kicking I assume..

Sounds like a big anti-terrorist operation in Germany has been going down today,

https://www.fnp.de/frankfurt/frankfurt-hessen-sek-einsatz-nied-heusingerstrasse-zr-11876564.html

As long as some windows dont get smashed in a place of worship it will all settle down again.
  • TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,869

What is so frustrating is that there are some of us on the Leave side who proposed exactly what Alastair is talking about within a day or so of the referendum. But of course we have no power and no political ambition so were never going to be listened to.

It is also worth pointing out that some Remainers' answer to the suggestion that we should treat this as a cross party/cross opinion issue was to say stuff that this will be your problem not ours. Which is hardly on keeping with the sort of reconciliation that Alastair talks about.

But Richard, it is your problem not Remainers'. Remainers don't have any interest in seeing Brexit work.
    They should. It is still their country (unlike some of the run away Leavers), and if their scare stories about food shortages come true, them chortling with pleasure at being proved right in the event of No Deal will be cold comfort to them as an angry mob of citizens mug them for their last tin of baked beans in their house.
  • AlasdairAlasdair Posts: 72

Scott_P said:

The ERG are throwing their toys out of the pram.

The DUP are crying No Surrender.

They have both shot their bolt. The best Brexit they can now get is one neither of them wanted.

No flowers...

They aren't going to get any Brexit.
    No, I think that's the likeliest outcome now. May and/or the government will collapse before 12 April, the Commons will vote to accept the EU's proffered longer extension and the EU will agree in the hope that within 9 months the UK will have come up with a coherent way forward. Which will have to involve a general election or referendum or perhaps both.
    And how do we do this with no MEPs. Without MEPs we cannot be in the EU
    We will take part in the election. The 12 April decision will be to extend on the conditions the EU has set, including participation in the election.
    And where is the enabling bill to take part in the EU elections
    FPT

My reading of the relevant legislation and statutory instruments is that the European Parliament Elections Act 2002 is still partially in force.

This Act is specified in Schedule 9 European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 as an Act due to be repealed. Section 25 specifies that the repeal is only effected on a date that is specified by statutory instrument.

SI 2018/808 specified that section 1A and Schedule 1A of EPEA 2002 was repealed on 4 July 2018. This relates to redistribution of MEP seats.

The remaining Act is repealed on Exit Day (defined as 29 March 2019 at 11pm).

So if Exit Day is changed, for example for a long delay, the provisions of EPEA 2002 remain in force and there is no need for new legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2018/16/contents

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2018/808/contents/made

notme2 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Palestine

Sincerely yours,
    Jeremy Corbyn.
    A metaphorical kicking I assume..
    Absolutely. No violence, implied or desired.
    _Anazina_ said:

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Palestine

Sincerely yours,
    Jeremy Corbyn.
    My original reason was to stop TTIP being a way of passing the NHS to huge American Corporations and to be able to sack our Lawmakers.

I also forsaw a bit of Tory Chaos but expect Remain would have also seen that.

TBH the UKIP boil needed lancing too
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,335
    Scott_P said:
    Good. Gives a couple more weeks for my stockpiling if nothing else.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,038

What is so frustrating is that there are some of us on the Leave side who proposed exactly what Alastair is talking about within a day or so of the referendum. But of course we have no power and no political ambition so were never going to be listened to.

It is also worth pointing out that some Remainers' answer to the suggestion that we should treat this as a cross party/cross opinion issue was to say stuff that this will be your problem not ours. Which is hardly on keeping with the sort of reconciliation that Alastair talks about.

But Richard, it is your problem not Remainers'. Remainers don't have any interest in seeing Brexit work.
    Which completely undermines everything you said in your article. Are you sure you don't have a split personality?
    It is the winners' responsibility to establish a consensus. You cannot expect the losers to set the parameters for that or work towards it until the winners see the need for it. They still don't.
    Nah you don't get out if it that easily. You complain quite rightly in the header about the lack of attempts to build a cross party consensus and then say you would not be open to it anyway. Utter hypocrisy yet again.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,914
    edited March 2019
    Is it funny that a comparitive voice of moderation in Brexiteer land at this point is Guido Fawkes? His site is still full of bullish news about the economy and not believing no deal predictions, but also really seems to be pushing the hard line Brexiteers to see that they will probably get nothing if they don't take the (terrible) deal.
    Whats happened to t'petition stuck on 3,420,786 for 15 mins now
  • anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,591

Scott_P said:

They have both shot their bolt. The best Brexit they can now get is one neither of them wanted.

No flowers...

No, I think that's the likeliest outcome now. May and/or the government will collapse before 12 April, the Commons will vote to accept the EU's proffered longer extension and the EU will agree in the hope that within 9 months the UK will have come up with a coherent way forward. Which will have to involve a general election or referendum or perhaps both.
    We will take part in the election. The 12 April decision will be to extend on the conditions the EU has set, including participation in the election.
    Could be rushed through in 24 hours, all the systems needed are there, it has even been rumoured that the Electoral Commission has started planning. Elections can be run very speedily in the UK - before FTPA the formal timetable for a general election could be less than 3 weeks. In Feb 1974 polling day was exactly 3 weeks after the announcement of the election.
    Needs majority for it in the HOC. ERG would do everything to sabotage it
    The ERG does not yet command a majority in the House of Commons. And I gather some people argue that the legislation on EP elections will not be repealed until the Withdrawal Act comes into effect. I am not a legal expert so I'm not sure about this, but what I am sure about is that neither side is going to make the minutiae of EP elections legislation into an insurmountable obstacle if the UK wants to extend.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Any residual doubt that the petition hasn't cut through was removed from my mind when I saw this twitter conversation:

https://twitter.com/PensionsDave/status/1108849202887618561

I don't think I've seen any of these three tweet about politics before.
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    It’s not radical though. It’s (small c) Conservative. The radicals are the no deal Brexit enthusasists. It’s why people like Ross Mogg aren’t Conservatives, they’re obsessive arsonists.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,845
    OK, no takers? I'll tell you - Venezuela.

Venez-fecking-uela.

Exactly what the good folk of Airedale keep asking about on the doorstep.
    notme2 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Palestine

Sincerely yours,
    Jeremy Corbyn.
    What an absolutely moronic reason to vote Leave.

The deep state.

_Anazina_ said:

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Palestine

Sincerely yours,
    Jeremy Corbyn.
    My original reason was to stop TTIP being a way of passing the NHS to huge American Corporations and to be able to sack our Lawmakers.

Jesus, some leavers actually are thick. The EU chief negotiator already made it quite clear that TTIP would not impact on the ability of public health care systems to retain their existing nationalised status and would be exempt.

Maybe someone should have stuck it on a bus and you wouldnt have believed it.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Scott_P said:

No flowers...

Could be rushed through in 24 hours, all the systems needed are there, it has even been rumoured that the Electoral Commission has started planning. Elections can be run very speedily in the UK - before FTPA the formal timetable for a general election could be less than 3 weeks. In Feb 1974 polling day was exactly 3 weeks after the announcement of the election.
    Again the law stands still and repeal has not come into force. There is no need for an enabling act.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,538
    _Anazina_ said:

notme2 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Palestine

Sincerely yours,
    Jeremy Corbyn.
    I was trying to think of how to say this without coming across like somebody who thinks they know best, but we'll done for just saying it.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,503
    Mr. Anazina, Baby Spice was the best spice.
    https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/1109138917503238144

Touching faith which I don't have in her.
    _Anazina_ said:

notme2 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Palestine

Sincerely yours,
    Jeremy Corbyn.
    One of many, but that might be the most pleasurable. Seeing the deranged outrage from the Toynbees of this world, about how they'll have to pay more for their 'staff' and a mild inconvenience in using their Tuscan Villa.

Seventeen million F offs.

(I wouldnt have voted leave if I knew that May would take us out of the Single Market. Utter unnecessary madness)
  • NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    You remainers will be delighted to know that Montie is getting despondent.
    https://twitter.com/montie/status/1109121603172999172
    notme2 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Palestine

Sincerely yours,
    Jeremy Corbyn.

Jesus, some leavers actually are thick. The EU chief negotiator already made it quite clear that TTIP would not impact on the ability of public health care systems to retain their existing nationalised status and would be exempt.

Nah Dave was refusing to rule it out

I is deffo not Fick
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,132
    Nigelb said:

Except it hangs on those voting for it having confidence in the government which will administer the period of the WA, and negotiate what is to follow.

That confidence is now wholly lacking, so May's deal is going to fail.
    Particularly as No Deal is no longer an immediate gun to the head of Parliament (however much it is still a serious risk).

I think it's going to both fail and succeed. By which I mean the WA will be ratified so that we can leave on 22/5 but agreement on the Future Relationship we are aiming for will be deferred until after a GE in the summer which the Tories will fight (and sadly win) under a new leader, either Johnson or Gove or Raab.

Sounds like you think the long extension is where we're going?
    Norm said:

You remainers will be delighted to know that Montie is getting despondent.
    https://twitter.com/montie/status/1109121603172999172

Don't know where he's been looking for several months if he's only worried now.

OK, no takers? I'll tell you - Venezuela.

Venez-fecking-uela.

Exactly what the good folk of Airedale keep asking about on the doorstep.

I would humbly suggest the good folk of Airedale need to start taking a keen interest in Venezuela. There are lessons to be learnt.

notme2 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Palestine

Sincerely yours,
    Jeremy Corbyn.

I is deffo not Fick
    Fick QC

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/feb/22/ttip-deal-real-serious-risk-nhs-leading-qc
  • Pulpstar said:

Sean_F said:

FPT, the ERG have blown the hardest Brexit that was on offer, so now they'll be getting something less desirable from their point of view.

Colour me less than shocked than tactical genius Mark Francois has ballsed it. That (Territorial) Army training was wasted.
    He does have the air of Captain Mainwaring about him.
    May's abject performance before the EU ruled out "No deal" on March 30th... but it could still reappear by April 12th, it isn't completely out the running yet.
    You are correct that no deal is still there but now the HOC are taking over it will be gone soon
    I don't see how you get a majority to pass legislation to defeat no deal except by Theresa's deal. Yes some Tory MPs will try to vote for such a motion but that is hardly a career enhancing move.
  • Scott_P said:

No flowers...

Again the law stands still and repeal has not come into force. There is no need for an enabling act.
    Link ??
    edited March 2019

Any residual doubt that the petition hasn't cut through was removed from my mind when I saw this twitter conversation:

https://twitter.com/PensionsDave/status/1108849202887618561

I don't think I've seen any of these three tweet about politics before.

You should have seen on election day, working class men in their early thirties and forties coming to a polling station to do something they have never done before. Asking the staff what to do, do they fold it? do they put in the box?

The referendum had a 75% turnout in my area, at the preceding general election it was 65%, it needs to go back to 1992 to be higher.
    edited March 2019
    notme2 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Palestine

Sincerely yours,
    Jeremy Corbyn.

It just shows that Britons lose any thought processes or rationality when the NHS is mentioned. 24 hours to save the NHS, lets give EU payments to the NHS and other simpleminded slogans for simpleminded people,

notme2 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Palestine

Sincerely yours,
    Jeremy Corbyn.

I is deffo not Fick
    Fick QC

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/feb/22/ttip-deal-real-serious-risk-nhs-leading-qc
    Guardian in #fakenews bollocks about the NHS privatisation, who would have thought?

notme2 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Palestine

Sincerely yours,
    Jeremy Corbyn.

I is deffo not Fick
    Dave was not a negotiator. Remember, we subcontracted out trade negotiations.
    notme2 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Palestine

Sincerely yours,
    Jeremy Corbyn.

Should have sorted it by June 2016 then

https://fullfact.org/europe/does-ttip-mean-privatisation-nhs/

Wotz yoor reezons Not Me (other than your superior Intellect) and you being able to call Leavers Fick
    matt said:

notme2 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Palestine

Sincerely yours,
    Jeremy Corbyn.

It just shows that Britons lose any thought processes or rationality when the NHS is mentioned. 24 hours to save the NHS, lets give EU payments to the NHS and other simpleminded slogans for simpleminded people,

Yes, the NHS had been turned into some kind of deity and the Leave campaigned used it to incredible success. That again causes me joy.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269

As Brexit gets more surreal, the former Italian Prime Minister has quoted the Spice Girls in support of his argument that Britain needs to rethink:

https://www.ft.com/content/bff3e90a-4c8f-11e9-bde6-79eaea5acb64

That we need to zig-a-zig-a?
    That is indeed the song he references, though he doesn't ask us to tell him what we want, what we really really want.
    The observant amongst you will have noticed that I referenced that song in my header the other day.
    edited March 2019
    deleted
    notme2 said:

notme2 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Palestine

Sincerely yours,
    Jeremy Corbyn.

I is deffo not Fick
    Fick QC

Guardian in #fakenews bollocks about the NHS privatisation, who would have thought?
    You nowse besst?

I think not
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

And that’s where the concern arises

The country has chosen to leave the EU, however that is defined

Within that framework you have a moral obligation to try and make the country as prosperous and successful as possible.

Of course you have the right to argue we should rejoin the EU at some point in the future but your argument implies that it is ok to either undermine the UK or to seek to ignore a democratic vote

notme2 said:

notme2 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Palestine

Sincerely yours,
    Jeremy Corbyn.

I is deffo not Fick
    "Market access means that monopolies must be abolished. These include public services that are provided by the state or by a limited number of suppliers—like the NHS. If the EU or an individual government doesn't want to open its public services to wider competition, it must specify that they’re not covered.So far the British Government has refused to confirm such an opt out."

Fact Check June 2016
    Charles said:

Within that framework you have a moral obligation to try and make the country as prosperous and successful as possible.

Of course you have the right to argue we should rejoin the EU at some point in the future but your argument implies that it is ok to either undermine the UK or to seek to ignore a democratic vote

I'm arguing neither of those things. When Leavers are still painting themselves in woad and labelling anyone who argues for any form of engagement with the EU as traitors, there is no obligation on those who do not subscribe to the cult to lend their shoulders to the wheel. If you assess that the best way of making the country as prosperous and successful as possible is to let this fiasco sink under its own weight, that's a respectable position. Let Leavers prove you wrong.

Let the muppets show themselves up. They've certainly managed that.

notme2 said:

notme2 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Palestine

Sincerely yours,
    Jeremy Corbyn.

I is deffo not Fick
    "Market access means that monopolies must be abolished. These include public services that are provided by the state or by a limited number of suppliers—like the NHS. If the EU or an individual government doesn't want to open its public services to wider competition, it must specify that they’re not covered.So far the British Government has refused to confirm such an opt out."

Fact Check June 2016
    The British Government dont have a problem with american corporations bidding for public health contracts. However the EU do and wrote a very specific series of opt outs for public health services.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Charles said:

The best way to make the country as prosperous and successful as possible is not leave.

Anything that does not advance the cause of leaving meets your moral requirement.
  • hamiltonacehamiltonace Posts: 653

AndyJS said:

Revokers struggling to get 5m

Currently 14m short of 17.4m

Leavers are less likely to be online of course, so it's not a level playing field.
    Shome mistake surely? I thought Leavers spent all day looking at Russian-funded FB ads for No Deal?
    The rate of signatures has not slowed down so far which is surprising. At this rate it will hit 4 million by tonight and 5 million tomorrow afternoon. Hard to say what will be the final number but no doubt it will become the largest petition ever in the UK and one of the largest globally.

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,140
    notme2 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Palestine

Sincerely yours,
    Jeremy Corbyn.

Not only that, but I've always been intrigued *how* TTIP was supposed to result in the NHS being unable to offer public healthcare?

Having actually read the treaty, it is clear that US healthcare firms would be allowed to bid on public procurement contracts on the same basis as European ones. (In other words, it's a step towards creating a single services market.)

But if an NHS Trust chose to do cleaning itself, they could. All that is prohibited is a tender that said "Hey, we're putting a cleaning contract out to tender. Don't bother to apply if your ultimate parent company is American."

Is this the #CorbynsCustomsUnion thread?

Genuine question.

when the EU say the current deal is the only deal they can offer and only one possible - is that based on TMay's red-lines basis OR is it the case even if Jezza (but actually Starmer) were doing the negotiations? if the latter then this CCU stuff is as pointless as the unicorns and owls isn't it?
    The red lines primarily effect the PD, not the WA which is about settling debts and the backstop - which is a function of the red lines. So loosening of the PD would delight the EU - and depending on how loose, may substantially reduce the need for or eliminate the backstop.
    The backstop is not a function of the red lines. It is there because the EU think there is no guarantee that a suitable agreement obviating the need (as they see it) for border checks will have been reached by the end of the transition period. You can see their point; to put it mildly, recent events won't have encouraged them to see the UK as an entity they can rely on.
    That’s a circular argument

If it hadn’t been for the backstop it would of passed easily

So you can use the fact that people hated the backstop as a justification for its existence

notme2 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Palestine

Sincerely yours,
    Jeremy Corbyn.

Should have sorted it by June 2016 then

https://fullfact.org/europe/does-ttip-mean-privatisation-nhs/

Wotz yoor reezons Not Me (other than your superior Intellect) and you being able to call Leavers Fick
    You mean the bit at the top of the link:
    "The proposed EU-US trade deal known as TTIP might have implications for public services, but EU officials want to include wording designed to keep governments free to run services like the NHS. This should stop the NHS from having to be opened up to US companies, although it may still mean that undoing NHS privatisation in future is more expensive"
    Mr. Owls, the NHS was unable to perform a procedure on me within the requisite time (some years ago). Thanks to the reforms of Tony Blair, a private operator did it instead. Thank goodness for the absence of an ideologically driven state monopoly.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,505
    For the second week, barely any councillor defections:

Torfaen: Lab to IND
    W Oxon: Con to IND
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,843
    edited March 2019
    It sounded a bit like Liddington had taken control the other day, when we were hearing about "consultations with all parties" at Downing Street. But no - the Tory party in parliament and government seems more compulsively addicted than ever to anonymous and rumour-mongering briefings about the end of days for May - and then falling in behind her on the TV and radio waves again.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Meanwhile, on the day Meuller is expected Trump throws more of his own administration under the bus...

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1109145508822564864
    Mr. P, would you personally advocate a Parliamentary revocation or aim for that to be achieved via a referendum?
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,266

Mr. Anazina, Baby Spice was the best spice.

Sporty for me...

notme2 said:

notme2 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Palestine

Sincerely yours,
    Jeremy Corbyn.

I is deffo not Fick
    Fick QC

You nowse besst?

I think not
    You got 24 hours to save the NHS!

I thought Labour just put this out for its less informed members to rile them up, I didnt realise sensible people actually believed all that.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,505
    kle4 said:

The deep state.
    It has passed 3.5 million
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

The deep state.
    You mean the deep state is not able to control us? Damn it.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,843
    edited March 2019
    IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

The deep state.
    As I mentioned earlier, at the current rate - assuming a lot, but perfectly possible - it will reach 17.4 million after the original deadline, but before the Macron deadline - in about a fortnight.

Mr. Owls, the NHS was unable to perform a procedure on me within the requisite time (some years ago). Thanks to the reforms of Tony Blair, a private operator did it instead. Thank goodness for the absence of an ideologically driven state monopoly.

Cherry picking Private operators did very well out of Mr Blair and Mr Milburn.

Waiting times/lists were at a ridiculous level and the NHS had no additional capacity

PCTs paid private operators a premium to do easy stuff

Private operators not interested in complex stuff

I think this was reason DrFox left Labour twas a scandal
    Would it be worthwhile if everyone got their people's vote march comments out the way now?

I cannot believe it reached a million/numbers were inflated and that it means so much/little.

Actually it will be pretty symbolic, and support is probably gathering steam - another thing MPs who claim to want to leave could have stopped, rather than trying to run the clock down even more than May.

Let's limp over the line was not a very smart strategy.

Charles said:

I'm arguing neither of those things. When Leavers are still painting themselves in woad and labelling anyone who argues for any form of engagement with the EU as traitors, there is no obligation on those who do not subscribe to the cult to lend their shoulders to the wheel. If you assess that the best way of making the country as prosperous and successful as possible is to let this fiasco sink under its own weight, that's a respectable position. Let Leavers prove you wrong.

No. You said very simply that you have no interest in making the democratic choice of the country workable

Your arrogance is distasteful, sir
    Scott_P said:

Charles said:

The best way to make the country as prosperous and successful as possible is not leave.

Anything that does not advance the cause of leaving meets your moral requirement.
    Not if it undermines democracy.

But you are well known for loving partial quotations to misrepresent other people’s positions
    notme2 said:

notme2 said:

notme2 said:

_Anazina_ said:

Out Canvassing tomorrow.

Palestine

Sincerely yours,
    Jeremy Corbyn.

I is deffo not Fick

Fact Check June 2016
    The British Government dont have a problem with american corporations bidding for public health contracts. However the EU do and wrote a very specific series of opt outs for public health services.
    Which bit of an individual Government is your superiority missing.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited March 2019
    23,087 people have signed the petition in Bristol West so far.

https://petitionmap.unboxedconsulting.com/?petition=241584
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,526
    Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

But you are well known for loving partial quotations to misrepresent other people’s positions
    The EMA has gone, so whatever else happens, your democratic vote will have left its mark.
    Charles said:

Charles said:

No. You said very simply that you have no interest in making the democratic choice of the country workable

If you don't think it's workable as secured there is no moral requirement to engage in a fools' errand, especially one won in such a malign fashion. If those who won the referendum have no interest in your perspective, there is no moral requirement to offer it when it is unwanted.

You can't force people who think that the chosen course of action is malign and idiotic to assist you. You especially can't force them if you're calling them quislings and doubting their patriotism.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,519

Charles said:

If you consider a task virtually impossible the only thing you can do is sit and watch those in favour prove you wrong. Brexit wasn’t impossible, but as soon as May triggered Article 50 without even detailing our own position properly, let alone attempting some form of domestic consensus, it became so. “Citizens of nowhere” was the point she lost us.

Kennedy could have won a referendum to implement the Apollo Program, but if NASA had tried to implement the result within 2 years rather than the near decade it took them to get men on the moon, then they would have failed as well, and no sane rocket scientist would have joined in the project. I’m no rocket scientist but even I could see, as did many others, that the rush to do this without planning, essentially winging it, has precipitated this disaster.

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

The EMA has gone, so whatever else happens, your democratic vote will have left its mark.
    A majority of people voted for change.
    Scott_P said:
    Matt is spot on again.

Not sure we are going to resolve this without bloodshed TBH
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,519

Charles said:

Charles said:

If you don't think it's workable as secured there is no moral requirement to engage in a fools' errand, especially one won in such a malign fashion. If those who won the referendum have no interest in your perspective, there is no moral requirement to offer it when it is unwanted.

You can't force people who think that the chosen course of action is malign and idiotic to assist you. You especially can't force them if you're calling them quislings and doubting their patriotism.
    Brexit became unworkable on 29 March 2017. May lost the chance to get remainers on board a few months earlier with “citizens of nowhere”. You call people disloyal, traitorous even, and then act offended when they don’t do as you wish?
    I missed the news earlier about the MP pleading guilty to fraud - are they likely to receive a sentence long enough to guarantee a by-election, or we will be relying on their good nature like Onasanya?
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Perhaps we could ask them again if this is the change they really wanted. More democracy is better, surely?

Charles said:

Charles said:

There is a moral requirement to accept the democratic result of a referendum and to seek to optimise the outcome within the framework voted for.
  • hamiltonacehamiltonace Posts: 653

IanB2 said:

kle4 said:

The deep state.
    As I mentioned earlier, at the current rate - assuming a lot, but perfectly possible - it will reach 17.4 million after the original deadline, but before the Macron deadline - in about a fortnight.
    Not sure about the maths there. The rate of votes added is around 1 million every 12 hours. At that rate the 17.4 million will hit on the 29th March late evening.

At some point we will hit saturation in certain areas. Bristol West is now at 16% and leads closely from Edinburgh North. Areas such as South Yorkshire are the home of Brexit and sit at around 2%.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,019
    matt said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Scott_P said:

Charles said:

Perhaps we could ask them again if this is the change they really wanted. More democracy is better, surely?
    “Because it's the Change the UK deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt it. Because it can take it. Because it's not our Change. It's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Deal Knight.”
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,533

Not sure we are going to resolve this without bloodshed TBH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfb2fwXxCo0

hth
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

There is a moral requirement to accept the democratic result of a referendum and to seek to optimise the outcome within the framework voted for.
    To accept it? Yes. To work to optimise something you consider misconceived and malign? No.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,497
    Dear heaven:

Labour Party chairman Ian Lavery, MP for Northumberland, also called on Davies to quit.
    He said: "Trust in politics and politicians is essential to our democracy. Chris Davies cannot remain a Tory MP after admitting to this offence."

While Chris Davies clearly behaved extremely stupidly, and should probably resign, does what he did compare in the slightest way to this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41688280

Ian Lavery accusing somebody else of acting dishonestly and corroding trust in democracy is the equivalent of Mao Zedong accusing somebody of not understanding ecology, or Hugo Chavez accusing somebody of trying to buy votes.
    DougSeal said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I

Brexit became unworkable on 29 March 2017. May lost the chance to get remainers on board a few months earlier with “citizens of nowhere”. You call people disloyal, traitorous even, and then act offended when they don’t do as you wish?
    Bollocks

Malign individuals deliberately misrepresented what she meant by “citizens of nowhere” - it was tax-dodging individuals and companies not ordinary Remain voters. Sadly people like you fell for it.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Would you like to tell the ERG that, please?
This discussion has been closed.