Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Britain has deceived itself about the EU for decades and is do

Comments

• Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

I don't see Lab doing well on 2nd May either FWIW

The electorate are angry with both main parties if my Canvassing is anything to go by.

So who benefits then ?
    God knows.

It would be ironic if the LibDems gained hundreds of Councillors just at the point that Cable goes.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,236

The electorate are angry with both main parties if my Canvassing is anything to go by.

So who benefits then ?
    God knows.

Low turn out?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

GIN1138 said:

I didn't think we'd even got on to the trade deal yet?

And a trade deal from the starting point of NO DEAL wouldn't need a withdrawal agreement (as there's nothing to withdraw from) ?
    Precisely. If we go to No Deal the EU will very rapidly want to talk about a trade deal as they won't be getting a penny of their £39 billion (which we would still agree to pay as part of the negotiations but now have as leverege) plus the Irish border will be their problem rather than ours.
    No because crashing out with no deal will not magically remove our commitments on the £39 billion.
    Yes it will. The EU will have no way to compel us to pay that money if there's no agreement. Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed. They'll still morally think we owe them it, but legally it will take an agreement - a deal if you will - to get that money from us.
    We're on the hook for about £12-14bn iirc as it relates to pension liabilities which the EU could win arbitration over. The rest wouldn't be payable, though I expect if we want to get a trade deal done we'd make some kind of solidarity payment.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    All but three of the 20 MPs who spoke at last night’s 80-strong meeting of the European Research Group, demanded that she quit, Christopher Hope reports at the Telegraph.
  • Options
    Mcdonnell, it appears the leader of the Labour party, says he wants 3 months and to renegotiate a new deal......
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    It's going to be No Deal on 30th June. We've got three months (and a week) to prepare for it.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

I didn't think we'd even got on to the trade deal yet?

And a trade deal from the starting point of NO DEAL wouldn't need a withdrawal agreement (as there's nothing to withdraw from) ?
    Precisely. If we go to No Deal the EU will very rapidly want to talk about a trade deal as they won't be getting a penny of their £39 billion (which we would still agree to pay as part of the negotiations but now have as leverege) plus the Irish border will be their problem rather than ours.
    No because crashing out with no deal will not magically remove our commitments on the £39 billion.
    Yes it will. The EU will have no way to compel us to pay that money if there's no agreement. Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed. They'll still morally think we owe them it, but legally it will take an agreement - a deal if you will - to get that money from us.
    We're on the hook for about £12-14bn iirc as it relates to pension liabilities which the EU could win arbitration over. The rest wouldn't be payable, though I expect if we want to get a trade deal done we'd make some kind of solidarity payment.
    Precisely.
  • Options
    PMQs later. I shall be out sadly.

What's betting Jezza leads on rural bus services?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755
    Germans focussing less on Brexit than Bayer getting zapped with fines over Glyphosat

Could be a huge number as exposed to US via Monsanto

https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/article190559905/Glyphosat-Debakel-fuer-Bayer-Aktie-Kursziel-um-30-Prozent-reduziert.html
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    That was yesterday, no? They are a weird conspiracy group who think some hit and run by a Hindu was actually a covered up Isis terrorist attack.
  • Options

All but three of the 20 MPs who spoke at last night’s 80-strong meeting of the European Research Group, demanded that she quit, Christopher Hope reports at the Telegraph.

Didn't they demand that last December? Would mean more if non-ERGers call for her to quit.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,862
    TudorRose said:

So who benefits then ?
    God knows.

It would be ironic if the LibDems gained hundreds of Councillors just at the point that Cable goes.
    Well one ranting Brexiteer told me he was voting LD this time because they will deliver BREXIT. When i pointed out they were most pro Remain of all 3 parties he said he will vote UKIP then.

Ther is unlikely to be a UKIP candidate so I think he will not vote but who knows.

The anger on the doorstep is at levels I have never encountered TBH
  • Options

Didn't they demand that last December? Would mean more if non-ERGers call for her to quit.
    It's like ground hog day every day...from both Tories and labour.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Mcdonnell, it appears the leader of the Labour party, says he wants 3 months and to renegotiate a new deal......

Where's the picard facepalm when you need it....
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:
    That was yesterday, no? They are a weird conspiracy group who think some hit and run by a Hindu was actually a covered up Isis terrorist attack.
    It's interesting that this group has migrated across the channel IMO.
  • Options
    Christ, it takes a long time for pennies to drop for some people:

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1108329994420449280
  • Options

Is the pub open yet? 17 pints and a bag of nuts will provide suitable distraction against Brexit

Thanks to the wonders of time zones, it's always happy hour somewhere :)
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:
    It's interesting that this group has migrated across the channel IMO.
    They haven't really though. Here it is a very small collection of very weird individuals.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Excellent. The first response, too.
    https://twitter.com/AMB_1101/status/1108309299351224320
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,224

Sean_F said:

stodge said:

And this is the only reason that Theresa there-isn't-a-word-in-English-to-express-her-abjectness May is still polling ahead of each of Labour, Corbyn and the Conservatives. She is seen to be wading through their tide of shit. A tide into which they continue to defacate....

There is a residual sense of sympathy or pity for the Prime Minister but as has been noted downthread, the public mood seems to be shifting away from "it's everyone's fault" to the specific "it's the Conservative Government's fault" and we are 6 weeks away from a huge round of local elections where the Conservatives are defending 5,000 seats.
    Of course an approaching election will crystallize annoyance into a desire to kick someone, and the government will always take precedence fir that kicking when everyone is an idiot.
    May 2 will be a bloodbath whatever happens
    The Conservatives are bound to lose seats, as they were 6% ahead, in 2015, when they were last contested. However, losses will be limited by the fact that most seats being contested will be in Leave-voting districts.
    Sure but if we are 'in delay' will there not be a mass vote against as s 'fail and this is what you get' thing?
    What scale of Tory losses can they take before they can't shrug it off? They lose 20%, 30%, more?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    Anorak said:

Article on the state and future of UK Defence. Mr WIlliamson does not emerge unscathed, but perhaps better than you might expect.

https://members.tortoisemedia.com/2019/03/20/gavin-williamson-and-defence/content.html?sig=UEhlwOM0W9jaTpl3DLdHebugBdZemTcKbr96uCCKmXw

I liked this:
    In the early 1990s the government used to boast that the country was “punching above its weight”. This can sound quite clever until you get into a real fight, and someone punches you back.

It was precisely the thinking in Iraq and Afghan which resulted in matters proceeding not necessarily to our advantage.
  • Options

The EU has learnt nothing from the process either.

Wouldn't it be more true to say that the EU has learnt different lessons from the ones you wanted it to?
    No, it's reinforced the EU's existing prejudices rather than challenged them.

It believes it has, and is, making an example of the UK, teaching it a lesson, and discouraging others to its benefit as a whole.

I see zero evidence it's done any reflection on why the UK voted to Leave, and how the EU might need to respond to avoid such calamity in future, other than the reflexive dogmatic response of More Europe.
    Like our Parliamentarians the EU is a Poker player going All In.

Worst case scenario for EU zealots is the UK exits without a deal and it proves not only not to be a disaster but to be a success instead. That would really put a rocket booster under sceptics across the continent. If we exit without a deal the EU kind of needs us to fail.
    Yep! :+1:

In theory they want to treat us like North Korea if there's no deal, but in practice the nuts and bolts of agreements to keep trade flowing are either done already or close to being so. The worst nightmare for the EU is that, a year down the line, no-deal Brexit is seen as a success.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Scott_P said:

Personally I see the current crisis as inherently the same as the referendum. The powerful, educated and metropolitan supprt remain in greater numbers, and this is generally the make up of our media, political class and civil service. They are now having to enact something they are deeply unhappy with and this is why May kicks the can down the road, the only overwhelming majority is for no deal, and a significant number of MPs believe the way to enact leaving the EU is to have another referendum which they hope remain would win.

In reality and as pointed out by John Curtice yesterday People have not really changed your mind, even if you think that polls that predicted a remain win are now accurately Leavers.

That may well be true, but the problem at the heart of that analysis and this whole circus is that the things people are unhappy about WILL NOT BE SOLVED BY BREXIT!!!

If politicians had been honest with the public about the issues, and the EU, we would not be in this mess right now.
    The same could be said for voting for a political party - but we don’t just abando the concept of democracy! Just because the ill educated poorer people of the country want something and are prepared to vote for it, doesn’t mean that we need to come up with a la a Roger a multi billion pound advertising campaign to tell people they were wrong. Their wishes need to be respected. And don’t get onto my constituents didn’t vote to be poorer, as there have been plenty of vox pops on the news where people say go ahead I don’t mind if I am poorer. What we need is a society where there are more opportunities and routes to success for those at the bottom. My parent grew up in social housing in Liverpool in the fifties and sixties. I doubt they would have the opportunity in this day and age to make a better life for themselves.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,755

Scott_P said:

Personally I see the current crisis as inherently the same as the referendum. The powerful, educated and metropolitan supprt remain in greater numbers, and this is generally the make up of our media, political class and civil service. They are now having to enact something they are deeply unhappy with and this is why May kicks the can down the road, the only overwhelming majority is for no deal, and a significant number of MPs believe the way to enact leaving the EU is to have another referendum which they hope remain would win.

In reality and as pointed out by John Curtice yesterday People have not really changed your mind, even if you think that polls that predicted a remain win are now accurately Leavers.

That may well be true, but the problem at the heart of that analysis and this whole circus is that the things people are unhappy about WILL NOT BE SOLVED BY BREXIT!!!

If politicians had been honest with the public about the issues, and the EU, we would not be in this mess right now.
    The same could be said for voting for a political party - but we don’t just abando the concept of democracy! Just because the ill educated poorer people of the country want something and are prepared to vote for it, doesn’t mean that we need to come up with a la a Roger a multi billion pound advertising campaign to tell people they were wrong. Their wishes need to be respected. And don’t get onto my constituents didn’t vote to be poorer, as there have been plenty of vox pops on the news where people say go ahead I don’t mind if I am poorer. What we need is a society where there are more opportunities and routes to success for those at the bottom. My parent grew up in social housing in Liverpool in the fifties and sixties. I doubt they would have the opportunity in this day and age to make a better life for themselves.
    quite
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Sandpit said:

Wouldn't it be more true to say that the EU has learnt different lessons from the ones you wanted it to?

It believes it has, and is, making an example of the UK, teaching it a lesson, and discouraging others to its benefit as a whole.

I see zero evidence it's done any reflection on why the UK voted to Leave, and how the EU might need to respond to avoid such calamity in future, other than the reflexive dogmatic response of More Europe.
    Like our Parliamentarians the EU is a Poker player going All In.

Worst case scenario for EU zealots is the UK exits without a deal and it proves not only not to be a disaster but to be a success instead. That would really put a rocket booster under sceptics across the continent. If we exit without a deal the EU kind of needs us to fail.
    Yep! :+1:

In theory they want to treat us like North Korea if there's no deal, but in practice the nuts and bolts of agreements to keep trade flowing are either done already or close to being so. The worst nightmare for the EU is that, a year down the line, no-deal Brexit is seen as a success.
    Christ, the "German car manufacturers" school of thought has mutated.
  • Options

I love the damning accusation that May's stated plan all along, may have actually been her plan all along.

She's not exactly Dick Dastardly now is she?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    @Nemtynakht Brexit is going to reduce opputunities for success, not increase them.
  • Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549
    Caveat Emptor. No accompanying article or corroborating evidence. But interesting timing, if true

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1108330868156837888
  • Options

I love the damning accusation that May's stated plan all along, may have actually been her plan all along.

She's more a Muttley
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Caveat Emptor. No accompanying article or corroborating evidence. But interesting timing, if true

The FT have the story here.

https://www.ft.com/content/5655fd42-4afc-11e9-bbc9-6917dce3dc62
  • Options
    A three point turn seamlessly executed:

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1108333603384160256

I still think they were right first time on this.
  • Options
    Never mind Parliament, Leavers might need to start thinking about dissolving the electorate:

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1108000807948111873
  • Options

She's more a Muttley
    The most important question from Wacky Races was why did Penelope Pitstop have a vibrator setting in her car?

We need to ban this sick filth our kids are exposed to.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

A three point turn seamlessly executed:

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1108333603384160256

I still think they were right first time on this.

However:

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1108325321814802433

(Although I confess I'm somewhat losing track - I thought parliament had already approved this?)
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

She's more a Muttley
    I can't imagine her laughing like Muttley (perhaps I should just have stopped at 'laughing'?).
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    SeanT said:

Toyota has announced it is to start making Suzuki-badged cars at its Derbyshire factory as part of a collaboration agreement between the two manufacturers.

The move will see the company’s Burnaston plant supply Suzuki Motor Corporation with cars based on the new Corolla Wagon - a car which the factory officially started making at the beginning of the year.

Although built by Toyota staff, the vehicles will be badged as Suzuki cars. The Derbyshire factory is expected to start making the vehicles towards the end of 2020. The cars will be hybrid-electric vehicles, fitted with hybrid engines produced at Toyota’s engine manufacturing plant at Deeside, North Wales

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/business/toyotas-factory-near-derby-start-2665443
  • Options
    And don't even get me started on the Slag Brothers.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    If my medicine supply is interupted and I subsequently develop a resistance to it, a very real possibility; then I don’t care if we should respect the vote of some bigot in Stoke on Trent or somewhere who wanted to stop the immigration of brown people.

But muh democracy.
  • Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549

Never mind Parliament, Leavers might need to start thinking about dissolving the electorate:

I think a second referendum would now be easily won by Remain.
  • Options

She's more a Muttley
    Boris Johnson is Yogi Bear while Michael Gove is Boo Boo Bear
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,353

It's possible to reflect on why the UK voted to leave and come to the conclusion that indulging our political class with opt-outs and special treatment, and helping them dissemble about the EU to their voters was a large part of the problem.
    Only for the utterly fanatical.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311

Scott_P said:

Great post but the analogy is more like voting to make Didcot a nuclear free zone. Voting Leave does not solve the problem they faced.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Anorak,

Did we leave the 'shit place' then? I don't remember, hang on. I'll check.

Yes, I'm right, we never left, we're still in the shit place. But I think they're being a little unkind to the EU.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

@Nemtynakht Brexit is going to reduce opputunities for success, not increase them.

I disagree - It’s going to make bugger all difference if you live on a council estate in one of our big cities. For the top two quartiles it will make a big difference. Less opportunity as FoM goes. Financial shock affecting those who have propoerty or investments. Business failure.
  • Options

She's more a Muttley
    The most important question from Wacky Races was why did Penelope Pitstop have a vibrator setting in her car?

We need to ban this sick filth our kids are exposed to.
    Nice try, but obviously fake.

• Options
    edited March 2019

I disagree - It’s going to make bugger all difference if you live on a council estate in one of our big cities. For the top two quartiles it will make a big difference. Less opportunity as FoM goes. Financial shock affecting those who have propoerty or investments. Business failure.
    So a big knock-on effect on those living in a council estate in one of our big cities, who are dependent on the taxes paid by the top two quartiles (and especially the top 0.1%, who pay 8% of all income tax and NI).
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897

She's more a Muttley
    Boris Johnson is Bungle from Rainbow
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

She's more a Muttley
    Bit harsh on old Bungle.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    eristdoof said:

She's more a Muttley
    Boris de Pfeffel's Incredibly Trick Hairstyle
  • Options
    The voluntary Conservative party in the country wont put up with a delay beyond June. It doesn't look like enough ERG types will support the WA now or in 3 months time. WTO exit it is then. The country will at least know where we stand and when the much forecast armageddon doesn't materialise it will will all come as a pleasant relief to most people.
  • Options

The voluntary Conservative party in the country wont put up with a delay beyond June. It doesn't look like enough ERG types will support the WA now or in 3 months time. WTO exit it is then. The country will at least know where we stand and when the much forecast armageddon doesn't materialise it will will all come as a pleasant relief to most people.

And what if it does materialise?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019
    If Labour collude with the Tories in bringing about no deal, by not pressing for a longer extension, and in/out polls show numbers like that, it won't just be the Tories that are destroyed for a generation.
  • Options

If Labour collude with the Tories in bringing about no deal, by not pressing for a longer extension, and in/out polls show numbers like that, it won't just be the Tories that are destroyed for a generation.

They do seem to be against remain
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Dunt is certainly deranged this morning, not sure about irresponsible.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

One reason I want Brexit out of the way is I'm keen to see what the tiggers have to offer by way of domestic policy
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002
    Has she said "Let me be clear" yet?
  • Options
    One of the BTL comments on the Guardian live blog made a rather good point:

Does coming out in favour of a 3 month extension (11:08) mean that, in practice, Labour are coming out against a second referendum?
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    I daresay everything will become clear after PMQ's.

HAHAHAHAHAHAAAAHAAAA
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Has she said "Let me be clear" yet?

She tends to favour the ridiculous 'I am clear'.
  • Options

Its only a WTO exit if those on opposition benches who pretend they want to avoid no deal keep rejecting the deal.
  • Options

Well I expect Concanvasser and other like-minded people will admit they were wrong and apologise.....no?
  • Options

One reason I want Brexit out of the way is I'm keen to see what the tiggers have to offer by way of domestic policy
    The thing is, as we talked about yesterday Andrew Yang has identified a real issue coming down the pipe at a rate of knots, and nobody here is talking about it in a forward looking way (I don't count Corbyn's back to the 70s protectionist nationalise everything as a viable solution).
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,311
    Scott_P said:
    Some vegetarian beef and lamb substitute for me, please!
  • Options
    Aren't we all vegan these days? Given recent dinner parties, I am coming to the conclusion I am the odd one out that still enjoys animals products.
  • Options

So a big knock-on effect on those living in a council estate in one of our big cities, who are dependent on the taxes paid by the top two quartiles (and especially the top 0.1%, who pay 8% of all income tax and NI).
    This is why Labour's vacillations are so iniquitous. It is these folk who will be hit first, and hardest - the very people Labour should be doing most to defend.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

The thing is, as we talked about yesterday Andrew Yang has identified a real issue coming down the pipe at a rate of knots, and nobody here is talking about it in a forward looking way (I don't count Corbyn's back to the 70s protectionist nationalise everything as a viable solution).
    We live in interesting times
  • Options

The hyperbole used has been such that unless the NHS has to shut hospitals and Waitrose issue ration books it won't seem as bad as expected. Remainers have played it by the Osborne rule book again and over egged the pudding.
  • Options
    Vince Cable appears to be asleep, which is reflective of the the last 2 years.
  • Options

Well I expect Concanvasser and other like-minded people will admit they were wrong and apologise.....no?
    It will be the wrong kind of No Deal.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    May saying in nobodies interest to have EU elections. She has asked for extension until 30th June.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Hahaha. Let's see May's face when someone passes her a note with that on.
  • Options
  • Options
    Govt going for MV3...will Bercow allow it???
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,617
    Based on what May has just said, if no Brexit by end of June she will resign?!?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    edited March 2019

May saying in nobodies interest to have EU elections. She has asked for extension until 30th June.

Where "nobody" = everyone but the Conservative Party and the Labour Party.
  • Options
    TM explanation on the extension will resonate with the electorate if not the HOC
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    So basically May just said she would ignore the previous vote to have a long extension which she herself suggested would be the case if her deal was not passed by today because...reasons.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    TM poor.
  • Options
    May 23rd it is then
  • Options
    I continue to yearn for a pasties tax being the most shambolic issue....
  • Options
    Now some people might think posting on a political betting website is a bit sad....

'I clean road signs in my spare time'

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-nottinghamshire-47630813/window-cleaner-makes-road-signs-sparkle
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981
    So before May 22nd or EU elections - I'm glad I'm abroad I suspect I would die of popcorn overload if I was in the UK this week...
  • Options
    Like you, I think Theresa May actively wanted this response. It suits her to be dragged to a position, given the maniacs she has behind her.
  • Options

So basically May just said she would ignore the previous vote to have a long extension which she herself suggested would be the case if her deal was not passed by today because...reasons.

.. because Nothing Has Changed. Do keep up.
  • Options
    May crap.

Corbyn crap.

The more things change, the more they stay the same...
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Like you, I think Theresa May actively wanted this response. It suits her to be dragged to a position, given the maniacs she has behind her.
    Not sure. I think a short extension is best for her getting her deal through.
  • Options
    PMQs...This is a waste of time.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,625
    SeanT said:

But that wouldn't respect the electorate's vote three years ago....
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    SeanT said:

It is why the new "political elite" that is now dominated by fanatics for Brexit do not really want to test the will-o-the-people again.

To twist a phrase "The people have spoken...now let's not let the bastards speak again because they may have changed their mind"
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019
    61/39 in favour of remain over her deal is a huge margin.

Parliament is not currently doing its representative job ; or rather the party machines that enable it to are not.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

The hyperbole used has been such that unless the NHS has to shut hospitals and Waitrose issue ration books it won't seem as bad as expected. Remainers have played it by the Osborne rule book again and over egged the pudding.
    Just not true. It will take just one death as the result of drug shortages, or a handful of company failures, with job losses, directly and obviously attributable to hard brexit, to turn the country against those responsible.
This discussion has been closed.