Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Britain has deceived itself about the EU for decades and is do

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
    CD13 said:

Ms Cyclefree,

I still don't see what advantage an extension is to anyone but those who have never accepted the referendum result and have been working to delay it as long as possible. For them it is the longer the better, and the more uncertainty the better.

I've now doubt the EU is annoyed with the UK. If nothing else, it will lose a large source of income which will need to be replaced. I don't see a long queue of volunteers to replace it.

With the EU, you should always use the maxim … "It's not personal, it's business." They aren't our enemies, but neither are they our bosom buddies unless our interests coincide. These interests do coincide at times, but not always.

Unfortunately, for some politicians, the union is a political project, a statement of their projections for the future. yet, they get exceedingly annoyed with others who don't share their wishes. Like fans of a football team, they thus see few of the faults. I'm sure Huddersfield fans and Fulham fans will follow their team just as strongly when they are relegated this season, and dislike the successful teams. Discovering that half of the Fulham electorate support Manchester United goes down like a cup of cold sick, but it is reality.

As you can see, this criticism apples to both sides. but trying to re-rum the referendum will solve nothing. Getting a few people together to march in support to show you really, really, like your side doesn't prove anything. It reminds me of the old football chant in the home end. "Stand up, stand up, if you like City." It makes them feel better but doesn't do anything.

Vent your bile by all means, but isn't time some of you accepted the nation's democratic decision?.

I wish they had but we are where are. The deal is not passing and no extension or short extension will change that. Brexit is no deal or it is over and parliament needs to decide how it wants to break that to us.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

"Britain may be about to learn what being a vassal state really means."

Bollocks.

We are in the hands of tube-surfing Owen Paterson and a couple of dozen other ERG headbangers including perhaps your friends (I have a couple also in that group).

They manifestly don’t represent the views of the overwhelming majority of the country.

Is that control?
    +1
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    &

Nigelb said:

Bollocks.

Impeccable logic, as ever.
    Disgusting talking down of Britain.

Britain is not a vassal state and that final sentence is hyperbole that totally fails to recognise what a vassal state actually means.
    It would have been nice - and fundamentally more constructive - if you could have vociferously made that point when your fellow headbangers were bandying the phrase around. But you preferred to pander to their prejudices. The inactions of people like you are a central component of why Britain is currently in the mess that it is in.
    He did make that point.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Interesting article, (accessible via Google):

"National Portrait Gallery and Sackler Trust halt £1m donation
    Fallout from US opioid health crisis reaches London art world"

https://www.ft.com/content/f5b47c02-4a65-11e9-8b7f-d49067e0f50d
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

He thought Band Of Outlaws was strong but he doesn't like giving short-priced favorites which may have put you off. He did mention the second though - Coko Beach - so maybe drink less Guinness next time? ;-)

He is a professional and always worth listening too but he almost invariably bets at double-figure prices, so it can be a long wait between successes.

so maybe drink less Guinness next time?

Huh?

Yes, I have done well out of listening to him in the past. I just do better off track than on. Maybe the Guinness is a factor...
    :-)
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The Tories need a caretaker leader with some authority that does not stem from a Brexit faction . I don’t know if it would work in 2019, but Hague is probably best placed to rise above all factions. In the HoC they should go for Clarke, but obviously won’t. Gove is just about viable, maybe.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Scott_P said:
    Someone on here had the perfect analogy for this phenomenon yesterday (Viewcode?).

Young men march to war in the sunshine with smiles on their faces. They return from war hunched in the rain.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited March 2019

Probably another referendum would vote leave. The trouble is that our politicians are wedded to negative campaigning. The Remain campaign was not that the EU was a marvellous institution but that the EU was appalling but the world outside is a scary place. Always keep tight hold of nurse for fear of finding WTO worse! The case for Remain started by conceding most of the Brexiteers' case.

Until that changes, billions on advertising for Remain will actually mean Remain spending billions on advertising reasons to Leave.

It didn't help that the de-facto leader of the Remain side was David Cameron, who until about 25 minutes before had been telling everyone how unbelievably shit the EU was and implying that he'd want to leave it, but for the possibility that he might be able to show up there on a sunny Thursday afternoon and change it into something different, which he then proceeded to fail to do.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,723

Streeter said:

Bollocks.

Bollocks in what particular sense?

Fact - at this moment in time the UK has no control over its future economic and security relationships with the EU, and thereby with the rest of the world. We are entirely dependent on the goodwill of 27 other nations, any of whom could deny our elected leader her principle objective.

“Siri - show me what a vassal state looks like.”
    I think some people have a sneaking feeling that we would be better off as a country if we were a vassal state for a year or so, while, say, Governor Barnier was installed to restore sanity. A bit like former colonies with rampantly hopeless governments thinking that actually British rule wasn't that bad.
    I don't think anyone thinks being told what to do by an organisation you are not part of is a good thing. It is where we are ending up. "Vassal State" is a loaded term but there are big differences of principle and in practical outcome between collective decision making where you are bound by the common agreement, and being forced to do what you are told.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    kle4 said:

It must happen. The government is still pretending there is a possibility its deal passes and wont consider anything else. They must be made to do otherwise starting with the extension.

I'd prefer the deal to pass than a long extension too, but if they had the numbers for that theyd be voting on it already.

The only problem is that the government will whip against it and it will not pass.

• Options
    edited March 2019
    Jonathan said:

The Tories need a caretaker leader with some authority that does not stem from a Brexit faction . I don’t know if it would work in 2019, but Hague is probably best placed to rise above all factions. In the HoC they should go for Clarke, but obviously won’t. Gove is just about viable, maybe.

The problem is all the alternatives to Mrs May are worse.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    Scott_P said:
    See also “The Troubles”... always struck me as a masterful understatement
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    She doesn't even agree with her own deputy. Blimey. The demise of the party cannot come soon enough
    Her deputy is at the centre of it being a "Remainer Cabinet".

Trying to keep a Cabinet balanced between Remainers and Leavers has been fundamental to May's problems. The Cabinet has been polarised, unable to offer a strong direction to the House. Those MPs who want to Remain have been given ample cover, from within the heart of the Executive.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Roger said:

Remainers have to mobilise and get a strategy. The strategy has to lead to reversing the Referendum. No ifs no buts....We have to be as single minded and ruthless as the Leavers have been for the last 42 years.

48%-at least-don't want it and there's no reason why we should allow ourselves to go to hell in a handcart because three years ago the stupid half of the country were conned into voting for it by the drip feed of the right wing press.

We should start with the biggest advertising campaign in British history. It should be relentless. There are no restrictions on pro EU advertising now. We need a spend equivalent to the 42 years editorialising in the right wing press. We're talking billions....

Probably another referendum would vote leave. The trouble is that our politicians are wedded to negative campaigning. The Remain campaign was not that the EU was a marvellous institution but that the EU was appalling but the world outside is a scary place. Always keep tight hold of nurse for fear of finding WTO worse! The case for Remain started by conceding most of the Brexiteers' case.

Until that changes, billions on advertising for Remain will actually mean Remain spending billions on advertising reasons to Leave.
    An astute post. There was no 'Remain' campaign last time other than -as you say- it could be worse. A difficult sell after the same team had spent years telling us the reverse. We now need a complete rethink.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,257

Scott_P said:
    See also “The Troubles”... always struck me as a masterful understatement
    I'll all be over by Xmas.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Jonathan said:

The problem is all the alternatives to Mrs May are worse in terms of Tory leadership candidates.
    They need a coronation of someone with a temporary mandate, say two years. We are at the stage where anyone is better than her. We are doomed with May.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,723
    edited March 2019
    DavidL said:

There is much in the thread header that I agree with. The dishonesty, self delusion and general incompetence of our political class did not start with May, even if the current Parliament has moved it onto a new level.

Where I slightly disagree with the tone and attitude is that the UK has by no means cornered the market in political stupidity and self delusion. There has been plenty of that on the EU side of the fence as well. This is not good news because it means that we cannot expect the EU to act in a way which we consider self evidently in their interests (German car makers anyone?). They are more than capable of matching our delusions despite the heroic efforts of Westminster.

Our perception of the EU self interest that they don't share is surely the self-deception Cyclefree talks about? The Brexit clusterfuck is in our interest, precisely how?
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Solar Flare

The PB Crisis Index (PBCX)?
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    Jonathan said:

Yes ignoring 17.4 million voters who were told this vote is going to be final if we vote leave we leave - is going to do wonders for our cohesive society . Civil unrest here we come
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. Jonathan, Boris could be worse.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,543
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Remainers have to mobilise and get a strategy. The strategy has to lead to reversing the Referendum. No ifs no buts....We have to be as single minded and ruthless as the Leavers have been for the last 42 years.

48%-at least-don't want it and there's no reason why we should allow ourselves to go to hell in a handcart because three years ago the stupid half of the country were conned into voting for it by the drip feed of the right wing press.

We should start with the biggest advertising campaign in British history. It should be relentless. There are no restrictions on pro EU advertising now. We need a spend equivalent to the 42 years editorialising in the right wing press. We're talking billions....

An astute post. There was no 'Remain' campaign last time other than -as you say- it could be worse. A difficult sell after the same team had spent years telling us the reverse. We now need a complete rethink.
    Agree. The 'deceptions' Cyclefree lists are mostly in truth the deceptions of a political class. Their greatest deception, now coming home to roost, is that Britain's part in the EU could be shaped without the whole hearted consent, based on compelling arguments and a clear vision, of the UK people in a series of referenda over the last 40 years. It is now too late to repair it, a fact which has the makings of tragedy.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658

In the short term maybe. But perhaps we’ve reached a stage where the only route back to sanity in our political class is to embrace insanity and find it wanting.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

AndyJS said:

Jonathan said:

The problem is all the alternatives to Mrs May are worse in terms of Tory leadership candidates.
    They need a coronation of someone with a temporary mandate, say two years. We are at the stage where anyone is better than her. We are doomed with May.
    The public do not agree with you that anyone is better
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Roger said:

Agreed.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    HYUFD said:
    That stuff only applies to Bercow? Surely not.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

To be honest, as much as I dislike Boris, I am struggling to see how he could be worse at this point. Assuming he pushed for no deal, at least positions would be clear and parliament would act accordingly. With May, everyone is just in an indefinite holding pattern.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

Solar Flare

The PB Crisis Index (PBCX)?

PBCX is definitely up this morning...
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    She doesn't even agree with her own deputy. Blimey. The demise of the party cannot come soon enough
    Her deputy is at the centre of it being a "Remainer Cabinet".

Trying to keep a Cabinet balanced between Remainers and Leavers has been fundamental to May's problems. The Cabinet has been polarised, unable to offer a strong direction to the House. Those MPs who want to Remain have been given ample cover, from within the heart of the Executive.

It's funny that people accuse her of not paying attention to Remainer voters, she has... otherwise she would have fully been on board with Boris, Davis et al.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    CD13 said:

Ms Cyclefree,

I still don't see what advantage an extension is to anyone but those who have never accepted the referendum result and have been working to delay it as long as possible. For them it is the longer the better, and the more uncertainty the better.

I've now doubt the EU is annoyed with the UK. If nothing else, it will lose a large source of income which will need to be replaced. I don't see a long queue of volunteers to replace it.

With the EU, you should always use the maxim … "It's not personal, it's business." They aren't our enemies, but neither are they our bosom buddies unless our interests coincide. These interests do coincide at times, but not always.

Unfortunately, for some politicians, the union is a political project, a statement of their projections for the future. yet, they get exceedingly annoyed with others who don't share their wishes. Like fans of a football team, they thus see few of the faults. I'm sure Huddersfield fans and Fulham fans will follow their team just as strongly when they are relegated this season, and dislike the successful teams. Discovering that half of the Fulham electorate support Manchester United goes down like a cup of cold sick, but it is reality.

As you can see, this criticism apples to both sides. but trying to re-rum the referendum will solve nothing. Getting a few people together to march in support to show you really, really, like your side doesn't prove anything. It reminds me of the old football chant in the home end. "Stand up, stand up, if you like City." It makes them feel better but doesn't do anything.

Vent your bile by all means, but isn't time some of you accepted the nation's democratic decision?.

I think it is wrong and discourteous to accuse cyclefree of "venting bile", and anyway you are strawmanning. There are plenty of people who accepted the referendum result and gave Leave more than a fair chance to implement it, and now consider that Leave has failed. You say "those who have *never* accepted the referendum result" because you think that gives you a get out of jail free card in that you can entirely ignore them as howwid anti-democrats. It doesn't work.
  • Options
    BBC saying 90% of the conservative party would have rebelled if TM had asked for a long delay
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

Jonathan said:

Yes ignoring 17.4 million voters who were told this vote is going to be final if we vote leave we leave - is going to do wonders for our cohesive society . Civil unrest here we come
    Those 17.4 million will be even more put out by the consequences of a no deal Brexit. And they won't blame themselves.
  • Options

BBC saying 90% of the conservative party would have rebelled if TM had asked for a long delay

FFS..what idiots. They're NOT GETTING A SHORT DELAY...

Unless, of course, they vote for the MV3...which Bercow now won't let them do.

Corbyn will be PM before long, this can't go on.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,257

To be honest, as much as I dislike Boris, I am struggling to see how he could be worse at this point. Assuming he pushed for no deal, at least positions would be clear and parliament would act accordingly. With May, everyone is just in an indefinite holding pattern.
    I have reached the point where I can't see that anyone would be worse than May, who just wants to stay in No.10 another day, each day, and stop a split in her party that has already happened. Her husband needs to have a word. This is enough now.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited March 2019
    In 1985, I went to Wembley to watch Boston United play Wealdstone in the final of the FA Trophy. Just before Wealdstone scored their second and winning goal in a 2 - 1 victory, the ball ran out of play off a Wealdstone player, yet the throw-in was given their way. Surely, we should have a replay?

The referee was biased, the linesman (as they were called then) was wrong, and we were obviously the better team. But when I check the record books, they still won the Cup. Life's so unfair. The referendum has all brought this back to me. You bastards!
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/lukemcgee/status/1108293558665138176

There may be trouble ahead.

Hmm could we be getting No-deal after all???
  • Options

Jonathan said:

AndyJS said:

Jonathan said:

The public are wrong on this point. She is the cause of much of the current pain. We need fresh air and new thinking.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    FF43 said:

Streeter said:

Bollocks.

Fact - at this moment in time the UK has no control over its future economic and security relationships with the EU, and thereby with the rest of the world. We are entirely dependent on the goodwill of 27 other nations, any of whom could deny our elected leader her principle objective.

I think some people have a sneaking feeling that we would be better off as a country if we were a vassal state for a year or so, while, say, Governor Barnier was installed to restore sanity. A bit like former colonies with rampantly hopeless governments thinking that actually British rule wasn't that bad.
    I don't think anyone thinks being told what to do by an organisation you are not part of is a good thing. It is where we are ending up. "Vassal State" is a loaded term but there are big differences of principle and in practical outcome between collective decision making where you are bound by the common agreement, and being forced to do what you are told.

No-one would be using the term Vassal State if it hadn't first been used by swivel-eyed Brexiteers to describe a relationship with the EU that gave us far more control than we currently have or will have for the forseeable future.

• Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

kjohnw said:

Jonathan said:

Those 17.4 million will be even more put out by the consequences of a no deal Brexit. And they won't blame themselves.
    No deal brexit will not be the Armageddon that’s been claimed . There will be some short term disruption but the uk economy will adapt and become stronger over the medium long term . It will be so funny seeing the excuses that will come out when the fallout isn’t as bad as claimed from WTO brexit and we make it work to our advantage .
  • Options
    Sky have taken leave of their senses. They are fixated on their ocean dive and it is dominating their coverage at the expense of all other news

At this moment of crisis what do they think they are doing.

BBC thankfully are providing the news

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Parliament should in theory be about to need to debate prorogueing [sp?] itself: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/237487
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

Jonathan said:

You need to ask yourself by whom they were told that, and whether that person actually has the power to unilaterally amend a statute. As for the "civil unrest" threat, when I look at Farage's attempt to organise a march, I find myself able to respond to the threat of him organising an armed insurrection with a massive calm. Or to put it another way, you and whose army?
  • Options

Good. The uncertainty dragging on forever is more damaging than even No Deal would be.

One way or another a decision needs to be made.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,479
    edited March 2019
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Jonathan said:

No deal brexit will not be the Armageddon that’s been claimed . There will be some short term disruption but the uk economy will adapt and become stronger over the medium long term . It will be so funny seeing the excuses that will come out when the fallout isn’t as bad as claimed from WTO brexit and we make it work to our advantage .
    Why should we believe Leavers that say No Deal Brexit will be fine when said Brexiteers said No Deal was just Project Fear?

Wrong then, wrong now.
  • Options
    This is Cyclefree's finest piece, and that's a pretty high bar.
  • Options

Please do not shout. It is unnecessary and with respect it does look as if the EU prefer the short extension as it does not complicate the EU elections. I would suggest it may be wise to see how this evolves over the next few days
  • Options
    edited March 2019

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Jonathan said:

Why should we believe Leavers that say No Deal Brexit will be fine when said Brexiteers said No Deal was just Project Fear?
    Because that was before a Remainer came in and sabotaged our negotiations and folded our cards. Remainers May and Robbins will be gone from this very shortly.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074

HYUFD said:

We did manage to set up a rival organisation to the EEC, EFTA and it is now absolutely clear we should never have left it

"BINO" would work if we had votes in it like a proper "common market 2.0".

Or, to put it another way, it was an EEA/EEC membership with none of the rest.
    How would that differ from what we have now?
  • Options
    We probably need to stay in the EU for another two years or so to sort ourselves out because we obviously don't have a clue what to do.
  • Options

kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Jonathan said:

Because that was before a Remainer came in and sabotaged No Deal. Remainers May and Robbins will be gone from this very shortly.
    Yeah, if only we had competent Leavers like DNSR Fox, Davis, Boris, Dominic 'I never knew Calais was this close to the UK' Raab, and Chris Grayling in charge of Brexit.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

AndyJS said:

Jonathan said:

The public are wrong on this point. She is the cause of much of the current pain. We need fresh air and new thinking.
    How are you going to change public perception
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,703

FF43 said:

Streeter said:

Bollocks.

No-one would be using the term Vassal State if it hadn't first been used by swivel-eyed Brexiteers to describe a relationship with the EU that gave us far more control than we currently have or will have for the forseeable future.

Yep. They've dug their own grave.

Instead of shouting the deal was RUBBISH!!!!! they would have been much wiser to go for Not bad, but needs improvement - but thats the trouble with absolutists, they make the impossible the enemy of the good enough.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006

The headbangers are right. May's deal is a terrible deal. But they are right for the wrong reasons.

May's deal prioritises ending FoM but with no desire by anyone in the Establishment to limit immigration, why bother? It then favours maintaining a free-ish market for goods, where we have a trade deficit with Europe, over services where we run a surplus. It is entirely the wrong way round.

Quite. And FoM will be dispensed with within weeks of the next labour gvt. But the WA is just that, it is not the end point. But it does work on the assumption we want the red lines laid down.

What would it take to get labour support? A permanent customs union is for the next stage not this one, but could the government be persuaded to explore customs union and single market membership and publish the options as part of the next stage?
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    AndyJS said:

We probably need to stay in the EU for another two years or so to sort ourselves out because we obviously don't have a clue what to do.

Quite!

It's by no means certain the EU are going to agree to this short delay just to try and ram her deal through. They may well set conditions or a longer delay.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Mr Z,

"I think it is wrong and discourteous to accuse cyclefree of "venting bile"

I would never accuse Ms Cyclefree of venting bile. She wouldn't anyway.

PS If I thought so, I would say so, but I'd still be polite. But as I don't ....
  • Options

Sky have taken leave of their senses. They are fixated on their ocean dive and it is dominating their coverage at the expense of all other news

It does sort of have the feel of "we planned all this a while back and we're locked into talking about this even if other stuff is happening now".

I also tire of Sky's attempts to create news rather than report news, between this and their constant plugging of petitions to get a formal set of rules for GE TV debates.
  • Options

Please do not shout. It is unnecessary and with respect it does look as if the EU prefer the short extension as it does not complicate the EU elections. I would suggest it may be wise to see how this evolves over the next few days
    Yeh, I thought the EU wanted a delay to be as short as possible. They're as fed up as we are.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

In 1985, I went to Wembley to watch Boston United play Wealdstone in the final of the FA Trophy. Just before Wealdstone scored their second and winning goal in a 2 - 1 victory, the ball ran out of play off a Wealdstone player, yet the throw-in was given their way. Surely, we should have a replay?

The referee was biased, the linesman (as they were called then) was wrong, and we were obviously the better team. But when I check the record books, they still won the Cup. Life's so unfair. The referendum has all brought this back to me. You bastards!

If you had spent the day in a law court instead, you would have found that in grown-up real world contexts, error and bias do actually lead to appeals and retrials. It takes an impressive degree of infantility to equate brexit with a kickball match.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. NorthWales, the timing is impeccable. It's not as if Sky didn't know there might be some other news at this time of the year.
  • Options

Ah but it's okay because in the rare moments when they do surface they have, er, Kay Burley and Beth Rigby.

FFS.

Thank goodness for Sophy Ridge.
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,790
    Ishmael_Z said:

kjohnw said:

Jonathan said:

You need to ask yourself by whom they were told that, and whether that person actually has the power to unilaterally amend a statute. As for the "civil unrest" threat, when I look at Farage's attempt to organise a march, I find myself able to respond to the threat of him organising an armed insurrection with a massive calm. Or to put it another way, you and whose army?
    Well said. Sick of leavers threatening that if they don't get their way they might resort to violence. There is more likely to be civil unrest caused by their beloved No-deal
  • Options
    notme2 said:

The headbangers are right. May's deal is a terrible deal. But they are right for the wrong reasons.

May's deal prioritises ending FoM but with no desire by anyone in the Establishment to limit immigration, why bother? It then favours maintaining a free-ish market for goods, where we have a trade deficit with Europe, over services where we run a surplus. It is entirely the wrong way round.

Quite. And FoM will be dispensed with within weeks of the next labour gvt. But the WA is just that, it is not the end point. But it does work on the assumption we want the red lines laid down.

What would it take to get labour support? A permanent customs union is for the next stage not this one, but could the government be persuaded to explore customs union and single market membership and publish the options as part of the next stage?
    Permanent CU is another unicorn, from the EU's point of view, it's cherry-picking.
  • Options

It does sort of have the feel of "we planned all this a while back and we're locked into talking about this even if other stuff is happening now".

I also tire of Sky's attempts to create news rather than report news, between this and their constant plugging of petitions to get a formal set of rules for GE TV debates.
    Indeed
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    In a desperate attempt to appease her headbangers once again, it is just possible that tezza has succeeded in uniting the rest of her cabinet, most of her party, the speaker, the opposition, the EU, the press and probably the public against her.

Awesome stuff...
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    I’ve been wondering who the public is blaming for the turmoil. I don’t think May has been doing a very good job, but when she asked for a mandate with a bigger majority we weren’t keen on that.

For all the tweets and arguments on here the main thing I hear in the pubs that I visit (all across SW England) is that she should just leave without a deal. Admittedly the closer you get to Bristol the more likely you are to hear it should be re run by people who voted remain.

Eventually a decision will have to be made, and I think patience is wearing thin in the Tory Party with Mays inability to make a decision. They need to come together and agree to the deal, and manufacture a way around the speaker preventing a vote. Or they need a long extension and May needs to resign and the Tories need a leadership election. May is too apologetic by half for the current situation, and I cannot believe I am writing this, but I think Gove is the one who could see it through. He is a much better salesman than May, he would have come back with the WA and said how good it was and what a success it was. I don’t think he could win an election but he could perhaps get the deal done and keep the Tory party together and perhaps that would be enough.
  • Options
    Mr Z,

I fear you don't understand the emotion a football match can generate.
  • Options

Ah but it's okay because in the rare moments when they do surface they have, er, Kay Burley and Beth Rigby.

FFS.

Thank goodness for Sophy Ridge.
    Sophy is good but not forensic
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

kjohnw said:

Jonathan said:

In an era of readily available knowledge and motivation, it doesn’t require an army to bring civil unrest. A handful of motivated individuals can do immense harm.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,020
    edited March 2019
    Sean_F said:

notme2 said:

Permanent CU is another unicorn, from the EU's point of view, it's cherry-picking.
    No, Juncker has said permanent Customs Union is an option open to reconsideration in terms of future relationship and reopening the backstop

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/26/juncker-may-backstop-eu-customs-union
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Jonathan said:

Nicely put and great rhetoric. But most people haven't been paying enough attention to know that Armageddon has been forecast. Their expectations haven't been managed to expect any disruption at all. And they won't necessarily make the link between reduced purchasing power/job availability/public services and Brexit. They will just blame the government.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,703
    As regulators at the Federal Aviation Administration reviewed designs for Boeing’s newest passenger jet, they paid extra attention to several features, including the lithium batteries, the pressure fueling system and the inflatable safety slides.

One feature that did not receive exceptional scrutiny: a new software system intended to prevent stalls.

That same software is suspected of playing a role in two deadly crashes involving the same jet, the Boeing 737 Max. Authorities around the world are now taking a closer look at the jet’s approval by the F.A.A., a process that relies heavily on Boeing employees to certify the safety of the plane.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/19/business/boeing-elaine-chao.html
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

kjohnw said:

Jonathan said:

This was explained to me last night “no deal will be fine, so what if there’s disruption. I remember getting butter on the ration book”. Hmm, it wasn’t what I was hoping for voting to leave.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

notme2 said:

No, Juncker has said permanent Customs Union is an option open to reconsideration in terms of future relationship
    He doesn't mean "The" CU though, does he? He means an arrangement like Turkey has with the EU, possibly the worst of all worlds.
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300

That must have been a good planning meeting.

“So we have the opportunity to do this on March 21. Thanks for bringing it, Science Guys. Anyone else got stuff in round then? Not the cup final, is it, Sports Guys? Business looks all quiet. Westminster? Hello, Westminster Guys? Erm.. can someone call an ambulance?”
  • Options
    Eurosceptic ministers: a long delay could turn Britain into a "barren land" with "gulags". (Front page of today's Telegraph).
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

In a desperate attempt to appease her headbangers once again, it is just possible that tezza has succeeded in uniting the rest of her cabinet, most of her party, the speaker, the opposition, the EU, the press and probably the public against her.

Awesome stuff...

She has united remainers as this takes a referendum off the table. It is evident on here and in the media the complaints are coming mainly from those who want to remain
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Did they put a second class stamp on it?

May is probably in 10 Downing St right now with a pile of scrunched up balls of paper in the waste basket...
  • Options

Because the desire is not to limit immigration but to control it instead. Quality matters more than quantity.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

notme2 said:

No, Juncker has said permanent Customs Union is an option open to reconsideration in terms of future relationship
    It's an option if you accept things like financial contributions and FOM. On its own, it's a unicorn.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

notme2 said:

No, Juncker has said permanent Customs Union is an option open to reconsideration in terms of future relationship and reopening the backstop

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jan/26/juncker-may-backstop-eu-customs-union
    The backstop is permanent customs union in the absence of an agreement. They would be quite happy to keep us in a CU.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1108287579055632384

Can an SO24 be filibustered?

Anyway, this may look like a temporary win for ERG but what it will actually do is harden the HoC remainers who will most likely take control this, or next, week.

And that will be the end of Brexit altogether. This is classic May.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    So pick a damned side already and let the other side resign. This nonsense needs to end, the uncertainty is the most damaging part of all.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    Ishmael_Z said:

CD13 said:

Ms Cyclefree,

I think it is wrong and discourteous to accuse cyclefree of "venting bile", and anyway you are strawmanning. There are plenty of people who accepted the referendum result and gave Leave more than a fair chance to implement it, and now consider that Leave has failed. You say "those who have *never* accepted the referendum result" because you think that gives you a get out of jail free card in that you can entirely ignore them as howwid anti-democrats. It doesn't work.
    Bit harsh on Huddersfield fans, too. I know little of football, but even I am aware they are a pretty sporting lot.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

notme2 said:

He doesn't mean "The" CU though, does he? He means an arrangement like Turkey has with the EU, possibly the worst of all worlds.
    Corbyn has referred constantly to 'a' customs union, with bells and whistles the EU are unlikely to commit to. It should be considered, at the moment, a unicorn.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,020

If Parliament votes for the Soubry amendment it will vote for a long delay anyway.

Remember most Tory MPs voted against any Article 50 extension at all but the Commons voted by a 200 majority to extend Article 50
  • Options

https://twitter.com/tnewtondunn/status/1108287579055632384

Can an SO24 be filibustered?

Anyway, this may look like a temporary win for ERG but what it will actually do is harden the HoC remainers who will most likely take control this, or next, week.

And that will be the end of Brexit altogether. This is classic May.

As a Poker player it looks like all the players are determined to push their chips All In.

At least that means we might get a resolution.
  • Options
    notme2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

kjohnw said:

Jonathan said:

In an era of readily available knowledge and motivation, it doesn’t require an army to bring civil unrest. A handful of motivated individuals can do immense harm.
    Difficult to read that as anything other than a threat of terrorism. Again, if we could contain the IRA and militant Islam, I don't think we have much to fear from the provisional Brexit Mean's Brexit Army.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    This is possibly the most important moment of the past month. I really don't like Corbyn but he has done b ugger all so far. If he now cranks it up and finally steps in, then it's curtains for Brexit in its current form.

All he has to do is swallow his left-wing ideology for a brief moment and unite the opposition to May's deal.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,124
    Toms said:

Unusually, I've read this carefully. This is realistic down-to-Earth stuff.
    Shades of Lysistrata?? I'd be curious to know how the Brexit vote split between the (two) sexes.
    There are differences you know.

I've just had a vision of Leavers running about with unfeasibly large members, à la the Beardsley illustrations for Lysistrata.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Did they put a second class stamp on it?

:D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.