Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump’s WH2016 victory could be the last time the national pop

Comments

• Options
    Floater said:

Scott_P said:
    Honestly - if this was on tv you would say it was too far fetched.

If Labour ever emerge from this mess, I'll pay a whole heap of money for the 'inside story' books that will no doubt follow.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

British politics is basically disintegrating before our eyes. The only question is, is it because of Brexit, or is Brexit merely the catalyst needed to push an already tottering system over the edge?

The Brexit campaign gave people license to lie to people and say nasty things about each other without censure.
    While at the same time Corbyn becoming leader of Lab gave people license to engage in anti-Semitic behaviour in his party.
    Funnily enough Tory types did start pushing it harder in reaction to complaints about xenophobia during the Brexit campaign, it is the Tory look over there weapon, falsely blame their opponents for racism.
    You haven't yet appreciated what your "yebbut her mum" post has done to your ability to make credible accusations of whataboutery. These things take time to sink in.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

British politics is basically disintegrating before our eyes. The only question is, is it because of Brexit, or is Brexit merely the catalyst needed to push an already tottering system over the edge?

The Brexit campaign gave people license to lie to people and say nasty things about each other without censure.
    While at the same time Corbyn becoming leader of Lab gave people license to engage in anti-Semitic behaviour in his party.
    Funnily enough Tory types did start pushing it harder in reaction to complaints about xenophobia during the Brexit campaign, it is the Tory look over there weapon, falsely blame their opponents for racism.
    What are you on about?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

Not me guv. Many of your fellow travellers in the Labour Party. Labour MPs, Labour Party members, and PB Labour types.

Tories are the least of your problems.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    MaxPB said:

Drutt said:

Streeter said:

Lost a substantial contract today because of Brexit. I’d been commissioned to run a series of training events for a major housebuilder but the decline in sales since the vote is now biting hard and all non-essential spending has been stopped. That’s several thousand pounds I won’t be getting.

In Autumn 2016 I was contacted by a government agency asking what benefits I could see arising from exiting the EU. I couldn’t think of a single one. I still can’t.

Business. Fucked. To misquote the former Foreign Secretary.

Angry doesn’t cut it.

You have my sympathy, especially as private housing starts were at their second highest in a decade last year (2016-7 being the highest), house prices are solid, seasonally-adjusted house sales are a smidgen higher than 2015, and FTSE housebuilders are very profitable indeed.
    Well a local estate agent in South London told me on Saturday that asking prices were 15% down on the peak and sales are slow. Which is borne out by the experience of two friends who have recently sold in the area. FTSE housebuilders are indeed profitable, thanks to the taxpayer propping them up through help to buy.
    Yes, it's all excellent news for first time buyers. Bad news for the speculators and buy to let parasites.
    It's a different market. London house prices shot up from 2010-16, whereas growth outside was far more modest. Now, London prices are falling.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

You haven't yet appreciated what your "yebbut her mum" post has done to your ability to make credible accusations of whataboutery. These things take time to sink in.
    Weren't you randomly labelling Nico earlier when he has previously stated he doesn't even like Corbyn?

Not sure credibility is something you should be crowing about.
  • Options

shadsy said:

Anyone on here remember any specifics of the odds for the 1992 UK general election?
    Like how short Labour would have got to win most seats, what were the odds on the day?

Trying to find pre-digital odds records at Ladbrokes is not easy.

4/5
    Picturing Mike right now as some Sheldon Cooper type eidetic memory type...
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    House prices are falling because if brexit, but there has been a major downwards pressure from general government action on landlords. I think that is only going to ramp up as well. Landlords are definitely an easy target for additional taxes, and they've found it tough to pass on increased costs so far with real rents actually falling (mirroring house prices). I'd guess that it's been 50/50 since about mid 2018, before that government action probably accounted for the majority of price drops before that.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

Not me guv. Many of your fellow travellers in the Labour Party. Labour MPs, Labour Party members, and PB Labour types.

'Not me guv' presumably another Topping is constantly banging on about on about racism in Labour and suddenly going quiet and into whataboutery on any racism in the Conservative party then....
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Floater said:

Scott_P said:
    Honestly - if this was on tv you would say it was too far fetched.

If Labour ever emerge from this mess, I'll pay a whole heap of money for the 'inside story' books that will no doubt follow.
    You know what - I don't often read politics books - but that would have to be an exception.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

Drutt said:

Streeter said:

Lost a substantial contract today because of Brexit. I’d been commissioned to run a series of training events for a major housebuilder but the decline in sales since the vote is now biting hard and all non-essential spending has been stopped. That’s several thousand pounds I won’t be getting.

In Autumn 2016 I was contacted by a government agency asking what benefits I could see arising from exiting the EU. I couldn’t think of a single one. I still can’t.

Angry doesn’t cut it.

You have my sympathy, especially as private housing starts were at their second highest in a decade last year (2016-7 being the highest), house prices are solid, seasonally-adjusted house sales are a smidgen higher than 2015, and FTSE housebuilders are very profitable indeed.
    Well a local estate agent in South London told me on Saturday that asking prices were 15% down on the peak and sales are slow. Which is borne out by the experience of two friends who have recently sold in the area. FTSE housebuilders are indeed profitable, thanks to the taxpayer propping them up through help to buy.
    I agree. New build sales =/= resale prices, of course, and so it doesn't affect Streeter's contract, but I understand Z1 and Z2 are rather less (oppressively) expensive than they were.

Imagine if all the young people had voted Remain to keep the older generation's city flat prices high (and out of the millennial reach), and all the oldies in the shires had voted Leave to make them more available to their kids and grandkids.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Not sure attacking Amber Rudd will end well for May .

Even those who disagree with Rudd on the EU know she was a human shield for Windrush and fell on her sword . She was immensely loyal to the PM.

If she ends up on the backbenches she could certainly become very troublesome. She certainly would help corral pro EU Tories.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    MaxPB said:

Drutt said:

Streeter said:

Angry doesn’t cut it.

Yes, it's all excellent news for first time buyers. Bad news for the speculators and buy to let parasites.
    Perhaps. But falling prices are not usually a sign of a healthy market.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Streeter said:

Angry doesn’t cut it.

Loads of people lost jobs when the Eu financed their companies' relocation. Here is a FT article (the FT is europhile) that gives plenty of examples:

https://www.ft.com/content/74ab02a6-fd85-11df-a049-00144feab49a

"In the UK, the plan by Twinings, the tea company owned by Associated British Foods, to make nearly 400 workers redundant within the next year has caused outrage as it became apparent that it had been granted subsidies of about €12m through the European regional development fund in Poland, to where it is moving some of the work."

In your very first post on pb.com, you described this as fake news.

Still, Leavers can show a bit more empathy than you managed. I am sorry you lost out.
  • Options

Streeter said:

Floater said:

Streeter said:

Sean_F said:

Streeter said:

Angry doesn’t cut it.

Most house builders have seen strong sales since 2016.
    Oh yeah?

https://www.sharesmagazine.co.uk/article/housebuilder-shares-in-bleak-territory-amid-property-price-shock
    From your article

"This is due to a combination of a less-favourable tax treatment, tougher underwriting standards by mortgage lenders and lower demand for rented accommodation."
    You clever guy. You know more than housebuilder who sack me. You know more than me. You take over company.
    Unlikely. As we’ve seen, Brexitism involves making a string of false claims and then running away from all responsibility.
    False claims is quoting the article he posted?

lol
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,465
    _Anazina_ said:

I don't think I've ever had a Nandos.

Have I missed anything? :)

Spicy chicken basically. Popular with yoof for the past 10 years or so, and MOR politicians.
    As I said on the earlier thread, Nando's is another high street chain that industrialises cruelty by failing to offer free range chicken. We really need to end battery farming and, if it means eating less chicken (and less meat), then so much to the better. We eat too much meat anyway.
    Do we? That point is highly debateable. Far too much low quality meat (and low quality produce of all types) perhaps.
  • Options
    Streeter said:

Floater said:

Streeter said:

Sean_F said:

Streeter said:

Angry doesn’t cut it.

Oh yeah?

https://www.sharesmagazine.co.uk/article/housebuilder-shares-in-bleak-territory-amid-property-price-shock
    From your article

"This is due to a combination of a less-favourable tax treatment, tougher underwriting standards by mortgage lenders and lower demand for rented accommodation."
    You clever guy. You know more than housebuilder who sack me. You know more than me. You take over company.
    I know enough not to post an article that directly contradicts the case i'm trying to make.

• Options

MaxPB said:

Drutt said:

Streeter said:

Angry doesn’t cut it.

Perhaps. But falling prices are not usually a sign of a healthy market.
    I think house prices are finally being divorced from the wider economy as they become less of an investment and more somewhere people live. All the taxes on landlords are having an effect. Hopefully the government continues to tax them out of existence.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

House prices are falling because if brexit, but there has been a major downwards pressure from general government action on landlords. I think that is only going to ramp up as well. Landlords are definitely an easy target for additional taxes, and they've found it tough to pass on increased costs so far with real rents actually falling (mirroring house prices). I'd guess that it's been 50/50 since about mid 2018, before that government action probably accounted for the majority of price drops before that.

A lot depends what type of market @Streeter's client is operating in. If it's high value properties in Central London, I don't doubt things are tough, given the reduction in overseas buyers. If it's medium value properties in Luton, selling them is like shelling peas.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,857
    edited March 2019
    Floater said:

Streeter said:

Floater said:

Streeter said:

Sean_F said:

Streeter said:

Angry doesn’t cut it.

Oh yeah?

From your article

Unlikely. As we’ve seen, Brexitism involves making a string of false claims and then running away from all responsibility.

lol
    Yes. Lol that a poster is poorer off because of Brexit.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

'Not me guv' presumably another Topping is constantly banging on about on about racism in Labour and suddenly going quiet and into whataboutery on any racism in the Conservative party then....
    No. It's me. I am pointing out the institutional racism of the Labour Party under the leadership of Jeremy Corbyn. All day long.

Conservative racism? For sure it exists. But it is not endorsed and given succour by the actions of the leadership.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    To remind us of human fickleness, those of us of a certain age can recall when Democrats were the "reds" and Republicans were the "blues".
  • Options

Floater said:

Streeter said:

Floater said:

Streeter said:

Sean_F said:

Streeter said:

Angry doesn’t cut it.

Oh yeah?

From your article

lol
    Yes. Lol that a poster is poorer off because of Brexit. What scum you are.
    And thousands of people were put out of work by the EU subsiding companies to move overseas, famously they subsidised Ford to move to Turkey.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    I would expect London house prices to rise again if a deal can be struck on Brexit, or if there is a second referendum. Plenty of pent up demand and wages rising.

https://www.buyassociation.co.uk/2019/03/04/rightmove-reveals-average-london-house-price-up-3-4-per-cent-and-eu-buyers-are-here-to-stay/
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

A lot depends what type of market @Streeter's client is operating in. If it's high value properties in Central London, I don't doubt things are tough, given the reduction in overseas buyers. If it's medium value properties in Luton, selling them is like shelling peas.
    True, but I think the market conditions would be fairly similar in a remain atmosphere as I'm certain Osborne would have continued to target landlords for more tax having realised that their ability to pass them on is close to zero.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

No. It's me. I am pointing out the institutional racism of the Labour Party under the leadership of Jeremy Corbyn. All day long.

Conservative racism? For sure it exists. But is not endorsed and given succour by the actions of the leadership.
    Apart from the Europhobia of course.
    Countless Tory MPs cab give rein to the most backward anti-German, anti-French sentiment and are never slapped down by Mrs May.

I know it doesn’t compare with anti-Semitism but it has contributed to the debasement or public discourse.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

You seem to be the expert in whataboutery. The Tories probably have isolated incidences of racist behaviour, which should be identified and dealt with. Newkip have a serious issue with the Tommy Robinson brigade and their heinous views on Islam. Unfortunately Labour have an endemic issue, no amount of pointing fingers at others will get around this but if you care about the party you should take it seriously.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

I would expect London house prices to rise again if a deal can be struck on Brexit, or if there is a second referendum. Plenty of pent up demand and wages rising.

https://www.buyassociation.co.uk/2019/03/04/rightmove-reveals-average-london-house-price-up-3-4-per-cent-and-eu-buyers-are-here-to-stay/

Nah, there's going to be more sellers than buyers for a while as landlords are pushed out of the market.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,257
    ydoethur said:

Drutt said:

Streeter said:

Angry doesn’t cut it.

House sales are currently slow in Gloucestershire. Here in Cannock there is a house two doors down from me that has been on the market since before Christmas - admittedly I think they're asking 10% more than it's worth..
    Not sure being on before Xmas and still on at start of March means much. Who goes looking at property over xmas or in Jan? Nothing happens until Feb half term in my experience.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

Conservative racism? For sure it exists. But is not endorsed and given succour by the actions of the leadership.
    Countless Tory MPs cab give rein to the most backward anti-German, anti-French sentiment and are never slapped down by Mrs May.

I know it doesn’t compare with anti-Semitism but it has contributed to the debasement or public discourse.
    Seriously - Europhobia is not a thing
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

Europhobia lol. You're clearly filling that dickhead shaped hole that grabcoque left behind. I'm married to a European and I love Europe as a place. It's the EU that's a complete pile of shit.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

Seriously - Europhobia is not a thing
    Sure. Let’s just call it bigotry then. Small minded prejudice and reactionary bollocks.

You get it a lot of it on here. PB Brexiters are like toddlers on sugar when our European neighbours experience problems.
  • Options
    The only way to unite the country is to deliver a deal everyone hates.

So in this respect May has done pretty well.

Brits are great at moaning , so both sides doing this for the next ten years might detract attention from the ghastly mess.

• Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

I'm not sure I've seen that but it doesn't surprise me. Why even our very own @TSE has at times succumbed to anti French sentiment. If you can believe it.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Floater said:

Streeter said:

Floater said:

Streeter said:

Sean_F said:

Streeter said:

Angry doesn’t cut it.

Oh yeah?

From your article

lol
    And thousands of people were put out of work by the EU subsiding companies to move overseas, famously they subsidised Ford to move to Turkey.
    Citations please.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

Europhobia lol. You're clearly filling that dickhead shaped hole that grabcoque left behind. I'm married to a European and I love Europe as a place. It's the EU that's a complete pile of shit.
    What's your alternative to the EU? We can't do without political institutions at the European level, so if the EU didn't exist we'd be inventing it.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Toms said:

To remind us of human fickleness, those of us of a certain age can recall when Democrats were the "reds" and Republicans were the "blues".

I don't think so. Associating the main parties with a single colour each was not an American thing until the 2000 election.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

Yes but you’re not a serious poster.
    You mostly fill up your word count with with cries of treachery and then, as above, call people “dickhead” for no good reason.

Your poor wife.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Floater said:

Streeter said:

Floater said:

Streeter said:

Sean_F said:

Streeter said:

Angry doesn’t cut it.

Oh yeah?

From your article

lol
    Citations please.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/taxpayers-millions-fuel-ford-transit-move-to-turkey-sjsdcmsn23k
  • Options
    When looked at coldly, it is rather strange that so many Brexit supporters have measured the success of leaving on the ammount of 'trade deals' we'd be able to 'score' upon leaving. It's an odd form of gaining independence that seeks to chuck it away again as soon as we can get someone to like us. In its own way, it is quite as pathetically insecure as remainerism itself.

As someone for whom TTIP was a grave concern anyway, I would have liked the Government to announce a cooling off period before we signed up to any major agreements, precisely to avoid panic deal signing, which is surely going to work about as well for us as panic withrawal agreement negotiating. They should have simply negotiated the exit, fought as hard as possible for a reasonable exit bill, and addressed the issue with the public saying that we need a period of calm reflection, and that costs arising from being outside the single market would be offset by a set of business-friendly Government measures (a far bigger lever than the former). The pound would have taken a plunge, the markets would have been jittery for a week, and then all would have been calm.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Floater said:

Streeter said:

Floater said:

Streeter said:

Sean_F said:

Streeter said:

Angry doesn’t cut it.

Oh yeah?

From your article

lol
    Citations please.
    The FT article already cited, "Questions Surround EU locations"

"EU rules specifically forbid grants from its structural funds from going to subsidise the relocation of businesses. But a joint investigation by the Financial Times and the non-profit Bureau for Investigative Journalism found companies ranging from British tea maker Twinings to automotive company Valeo were at the very least receiving EU subsidies to help with the establishment of new factories, the extension of existing ones and the training of workers in their new homes."
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Floater said:

Streeter said:

Floater said:

Streeter said:

Sean_F said:

Streeter said:

Angry doesn’t cut it.

Oh yeah?

From your article

lol
    Citations please.
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/taxpayers-millions-fuel-ford-transit-move-to-turkey-sjsdcmsn23k
    or https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/10026411.focus-on-ford-the-80m-eu-loan-for-fords-turkish-transit-plant/ (none paywalled)...

It was however a loan from the European Investment Bank not a grant - whether the loan was below market rate is open to question...
  • Options

Floater said:

Streeter said:

Floater said:

Streeter said:

Sean_F said:

Streeter said:

Angry doesn’t cut it.

Oh yeah?

From your article

lol
    Nope - you are trying to put words in my mouth.

I was laughing at you - i'm sure you are used to it judging by your other posts.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

You mostly fill up your word count with with cries of treachery and then, as above, call people “dickhead” for no good reason.

Your poor wife.
    You joined the likes of Andrew Adonis a long time ago. Even our own William Glenn makes more coherent arguments for staying than you do. Your problem is that you hate people that voted leave. I hate the EU.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

What's your alternative to the EU? We can't do without political institutions at the European level, so if the EU didn't exist we'd be inventing it.
    To be fair there is the Council of Europe, the European Commission on Human Rights, the Organization for Security and Co‑operation in Europe, the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, the European Space Agency, the European Broadcasting Union (Eurovision) among many others that aren't part of the EU.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited March 2019
    New ElectoralCalculus forecast based on February's polls:

Con 329
    Lab 241
    SNP 41
    LD 17

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/homepage.html
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

_Anazina_ said:

Nah, there's going to be more sellers than buyers for a while as landlords are pushed out of the market.
    Yep S21 is having a big impact on the after tax profitability of flats and houses with large loans attached to them..
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Macrons article in the Guardian will raise some eyebrows .

But when he’s at his best he is a brilliant defender of the EU . I’ll never forget him walking out to Ode To Joy on the night he became President rather than the Marseillaise as the first piece of music .

That takes some gall to do that . As an aside the one thing that’s always been noticeable in the UK is the lack of any EU flags on buildings and when you see the PM hosting another leader , you don’t see the EU flag .

Compare that to other countries .
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

Your poor wife.
    You joined the likes of Andrew Adonis a long time ago. Even our own William Glenn makes more coherent arguments for staying than you do. Your problem is that you hate people that voted leave. I hate the EU.
    Your problem is, as I said, is that you see treachery around every corner. You’re not a serious poster.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    rpjs said:

Toms said:

I don't think so. Associating the main parties with a single colour each was not an American thing until the 2000 election.
    See for instance the Wiki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_states_and_blue_states

I draw your attention particularly to the sentence

"Indeed, until the 1980s Democrats were often represented by red and Republicans by blue."
  • Options
    Floater said:

Floater said:

Streeter said:

Floater said:

Streeter said:

Sean_F said:

Streeter said:

Angry doesn’t cut it.

Oh yeah?

From your article

lol

I was laughing at you - i'm sure you are used to it judging by your other posts.
    A good example here of the very lowest slice of the Internet debate pyramid posted by someone here today.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

Your poor wife.
    Lol. Gardenwalker and his list of "serious posters". No doubt it includes his buddy, Nigel Foremain.

Un sot trouve toujours un plus sot qui l’admire,
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

True, but I think the market conditions would be fairly similar in a remain atmosphere as I'm certain Osborne would have continued to target landlords for more tax having realised that their ability to pass them on is close to zero.
    MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

I think Central London Prime Residential prices would have remained higher, had there been a Remain vote. Everywhere else would be much the same as now. As you say, tax changes make buy to let much less attractive.

But, one should never regard rapid growth in house prices as a sign of economic health. Prices rose by 320% from 1996 to 2007. That was a South Sea Bubble.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Drutt said:

Streeter said:

Angry doesn’t cut it.

House sales are currently slow in Gloucestershire. Here in Cannock there is a house two doors down from me that has been on the market since before Christmas - admittedly I think they're asking 10% more than it's worth..
    Not sure being on before Xmas and still on at start of March means much. Who goes looking at property over xmas or in Jan? Nothing happens until Feb half term in my experience.
    Thomas Sanderson has a web page that tells you how quickly properties are selling in a particular postcode / town...

https://www.thomas-sanderson.co.uk/resources/property-sell-by-dates/
  • Options

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

The point is, *we* can. We've managed very well without it. If Europe needs it, that's fine and none of our business. I genuinely wish them well.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Floater said:

Streeter said:

Floater said:

Streeter said:

Sean_F said:

Streeter said:

Angry doesn’t cut it.

Oh yeah?

From your article

lol
    Citations please.
    The FT article already cited, "Questions Surround EU locations"

"EU rules specifically forbid grants from its structural funds from going to subsidise the relocation of businesses. But a joint investigation by the Financial Times and the non-profit Bureau for Investigative Journalism found companies ranging from British tea maker Twinings to automotive company Valeo were at the very least receiving EU subsidies to help with the establishment of new factories, the extension of existing ones and the training of workers in their new homes."
    What we have here on the face of it is companies taking advantage of loopholes to access EU grants. As the first sentence says, “EU rules specifically forbid grands from its structural funds from going to subsidise the relocation of businesses.”

Obviously it’s not on, but it does not seem to be a deliberate policy to encourage the offshoring of British jobs.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I think Central London Prime Residential prices would have remained higher, had there been a Remain vote. Everywhere else would be much the same as now. As you say, tax changes make buy to let much less attractive.

But, one should never regard rapid growth in house prices as a sign of economic health. Prices rose by 320% from 1996 to 2007. That was a South Sea Bubble.

I'm not so sure, I think Osborne would have begun to look at annual stamp duty for overseas owners etc... landlords are a very easy target for additional taxes and no one will stand up for them any more. Foreign landlords even more so since they can't even vote.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Macrons article in the Guardian will raise some eyebrows .

But when he’s at his best he is a brilliant defender of the EU . I’ll never forget him walking out to Ode To Joy on the night he became President rather than the Marseillaise as the first piece of music .

That takes some gall to do that . As an aside the one thing that’s always been noticeable in the UK is the lack of any EU flags on buildings and when you see the PM hosting another leader , you don’t see the EU flag .

Compare that to other countries .

You see EU flags outside hotels.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    MaxPB said:

Drutt said:

Streeter said:

Angry doesn’t cut it.

Careful - HTB is not unalloyed good news for FTBs. Yes, you get to buy that £150k starter home earlier than you would have by saving up a bigger deposit, but the bad news is that it costs £165k because HTB means the seller can get away with charging it. BTL landlords have fewer customers (because they have bought) and they don't get the taxpayer bung.

Here's my take on the market effects of HTB. It makes FTBs buy newbuilds as opposed to second-hand, and it makes them buy them earlier than they would have, and at a slightly inflated price. It doesn't do anything material to resale price (although you can use HTB here too in some circumstances it's too little extra cash in too large a market) so FTBs need to be careful not to end up in neggy eggy.

Source - if you buy with HTB through my law firm, there's a small chance I'll be signing off your HTB forms.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

Your poor wife.
    Lol. Gardenwalker and his list of "serious posters". No doubt it includes his buddy, Nigel Foremain.

Un sot trouve toujours un plus sot qui l’admire,
    PB Brexiters just don’t like it up ‘em.
    Some are more reasonable than others.
  • Options

Floater said:

Floater said:

Streeter said:

Floater said:

Streeter said:

Sean_F said:

Streeter said:

Angry doesn’t cut it.

Oh yeah?

From your article

lol

A good example here of the very lowest slice of the Internet debate pyramid posted by someone here today.
    Go and have a sit down

I could embarrass you by posting some of your other posts which might just fit into that tier themselves but what would be the point - clearly you lack self awareness.

• Options

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

The point is, *we* can. We've managed very well without it. If Europe needs it, that's fine and none of our business. I genuinely wish them well.
    When did we managed without the EU? How did we? I really wish people would answer with specific examples and details rather than statements devoid of facts (and reason).
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    The Million quid question on ITV
    Which of these PM's never served as Foriegn Sec
    Churchill
    Douglas-Home
    Eden
    Macmillan
  • Options

What we have here on the face of it is companies taking advantage of loopholes to access EU grants. As the first sentence says, “EU rules specifically forbid grands from its structural funds from going to subsidise the relocation of businesses.”

Obviously it’s not on, but it does not seem to be a deliberate policy to encourage the offshoring of British jobs.

I agree companies are taking advantage of loopholes.

Whose responsibility is it to police EU grants ? Perhaps the EU ?

But, whatever, many people (who didn't have much) still lost their jobs.

We commiserate with Streeter who lost a contract, but there are plenty of people who lost their jobs because of activities of the EU ... and when Streeter was apprised of this (many threads back), he didn't seem very sympathetic.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Prices in London have got higher since 2007 and on what fundamentals? - we still earn x, we ca only borrow 4 times x, yet average prices are no longer 4 - 5 times income, they are 10+ income.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822

Churchill
    Douglas-Home
    Eden
    Macmillan

Eden?
  • Options
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

When did we managed without the EU? How did we? I really wish people would answer with specific examples and details rather than statements devoid of facts (and reason).
    What on earth are you on about?
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    GIN1138 said:

Churchill
    Douglas-Home
    Eden
    Macmillan

Eden?
    Nope that the contestant said he would go for.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

We didn't manage very well with partition in Ireland that EU integration allowed to fade into the background.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Churchill
    Douglas-Home
    Eden
    Macmillan

Eden?
    Churchill.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

We didn't manage very well with partition in Ireland that EU integration allowed to fade into the background.
    You have no idea what direction NI politics would have taken if we hadn't been in the EU, and nor do I. Broadly similar I suspect.
  • Options

eek said:

What on earth are you on about?
    You made I statement - "that we have managed well without it (the EU)."

I'm merely asking for evidence to backup your statement
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822

GIN1138 said:

Churchill
    Douglas-Home
    Eden
    Macmillan

Eden?
    Churchill.
    Ah I've just re-read the question and it was "NEVER" served as foreign sec. Didn't read the Q properly.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

'Not me guv' presumably another Toppingonservative party then....

You have no idea what direction NI politics would have taken if we hadn't been in the EU, and nor do I. Broadly similar I suspect.
    And how would we have facilitated an open border without regulatory alignment and a customs union?
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    Interesting program about the Ugandan Asians on BBC4.

It implied that Enoch Powell opposed their entry whereas I've read here that Enoch was a supporter because of obligations to British passport holders.

Can the PB minds give me the definitive facts.
  • Options

It implied that Enoch Powell opposed their entry whereas I've read here that Enoch was a supporter because of obligations to British passport holders.

I thought his views was that we had obligations to them but we should help to relocate them to somewhere like the Virgin Islands, Caymans, Seychelles etc but not the UK.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

Funnily enough Tory types

'Not me guv' presumably another Toppingonservative party then....

And how would we have facilitated an open border without regulatory alignment and a customs union?
    We wouldn't. But, the parties would still have faced the same war-weariness and exhaustion that produced the ceasefires.
  • Options

The papers released in 2003 (30 year rule) seem to agree with that BBC4 program see https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2003/jan/01/past.politics
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

Conservative racism? For sure it exists. But it is not endorsed and given succour by the actions of the leadership.
    TBH I was pretty sure it was you, gov. Not the pollster...

Sayeeda Warsi has said it goes to the very top, of course not a concern for you as you are too busy campaigning against racism in opposition political parties.

May of course is also personally involved in many dodgy racist things, from the windrush scandal to go home vans. Now admittedly she wasn't Conservative leader when Zac had his Islamophobic mayoral campaign... I'm sure she's suspended him or taken some action since right?

What about Boris and his comments, May has taken some action right...?

Nothing to do with political reasons or not caring about the racism I'm sure...
  • Options
    eek said:

MaxPB said:

Sean_F said:

MaxPB said:

Prices in London have got higher since 2007 and on what fundamentals? - we still earn x, we ca only borrow 4 times x, yet average prices are no longer 4 - 5 times income, they are 10+ income.

A relatively small number of hugely priced properties in Central London drive up the averages. But, in London, investors were just betting on ever-rising prices, and you also get vanity buyers in places like Bishop's Avenue.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

You seem to be the expert in whataboutery. The Tories probably have isolated incidences of racist behaviour, which should be identified and dealt with. Newkip have a serious issue with the Tommy Robinson brigade and their heinous views on Islam. Unfortunately Labour have an endemic issue, no amount of pointing fingers at others will get around this but if you care about the party you should take it seriously.
    TBH polling seems to indicate the Tories are actually worse for anti semitism let alone Islamophobia which is a huge problem for them. Tories are all to busy campaigning on Labours racism though it seems...
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

Sayeeda Warsi has said it goes to the very top, of course not a concern for you as you are too busy campaigning against racism in opposition political parties.

May of course is also personally involved in many dodgy racist things, from the windrush scandal to go home vans. Now admittedly she wasn't Conservative leader when Zac had his Islamophobic mayoral campaign... I'm sure she's suspended him or taken some action since right?

I think it's unlikely that any Conservative Muslim MP would get the kind of abuse from their own side that Luciana Berger has had to endure.
  • Options

I thought his views was that we had obligations to them but we should help to relocate them to somewhere like the Virgin Islands, Caymans, Seychelles etc but not the UK.
    Did Enoch want them to get control of the tax havens :wink:

According to wikipedia there were 27,200 Ugandan Asians who came to the UK.

From current perspectives it really doesn't seem too many.
  • Options
    oldpoliticsoldpolitics Posts: 455

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

TBH polling seems to indicate the Tories are actually worse for anti semitism let alone Islamophobia which is a huge problem for them. Tories are all to busy campaigning on Labours racism though it seems...
    Polling shows no such thing. This has been exposed time and again as a fiction.
  • Options

As a former Tory MP*^ put it to me, when it comes to Enoch Powell think of him as Nigel Farage with a classics degree.

*No, not that one

^No, not that one either.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

I think it's unlikely that any Conservative Muslim MP would get the kind of abuse from their own side that Luciana Berger has had to endure.
    Sayeeda Warsi accounts seem to beg to differ, despite her much lower profile she seemed to have her share. I wasn't counting the far right types who have been jailed with threatening Luciana as they aren't her own side.

Also Anna Soubry was harassed by Conservatives, many of the Conservatives threatened for Brexit reasons have had it done to them by their own side. Admittedly this hasn't always been for racism.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

The absolute level of anti-semitism within Labour is absolutely unacceptable, regardless of how it compares to other parties.

How hard is it to kick out a couple of thousand bigots and bullies?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

I'm not sure I've seen that but it doesn't surprise me. Why even our very own @TSE has at times succumbed to anti French sentiment. If you can believe it.
    It's not anti French sentiment, it's a natural reaction to a nation of collaborators dissing our help in their liberation, which I heard first hand in 1994.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    I haven’t read the comments but I hope that Lincoln’s been mentioned as a person who become President despite not getting a majority of votes cast. Perhaps unusual circumstances but it would be a shame to exclude future Lincolns because of one individual.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

No it hasn't. I realise, after pushing the line for so long, it can be distressing to read that the facts don't line up with the smear campaign but Labour just don't attract racists like the Conservatives do.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287

As a former Tory MP*^ put it to me, when it comes to Enoch Powell think of him as Nigel Farage with a classics degree.

*No, not that one

And a distinguished military record.

Which also sets him apart from Paul Nuttall...
  • Options
    Re housing

2018 had the highest level of new house construction on the ONS records which date back to 1997.

2018 had more than double the level of new house construction than 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, and 2009.

2018q4 had the highest level of new house construction of any quarter on the ONS records - which likely means any quarter since at least the 1980s.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/businessindustryandtrade/constructionindustry/datasets/outputintheconstructionindustry

So some people must be doing okay selling houses.

Now perhaps various estate agents, BTLers, overseas buyers of Mayfair mansions or Battersea off-plan flats are losing out.

But they're not going to get much sympathy from the rest of the country.
  • Options

*No, not that one

He was far more than that - exemplary war record etc
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

I believe it was called the EEA; we voted (to stay) in last time we were asked, and had it been on the ballot paper in 2016 I'd have happily voted to stay in or join it, as appropriate.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

*No, not that one

We were talking about him solely in the context of immigration (and race relations)
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

No it hasn't. I realise, after pushing the line for so long, it can be distressing to read that the facts don't line up with the smear campaign but Labour just don't attract racists like the Conservatives do.
    I'm intrigued. What polling has been carried out on this? Presumably it would have to be based on self assessment.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287

ydoethur said:

*No, not that one

We were talking about him solely in the context of immigration (and race relations)
    Well, surely immigration is the opposite of Classicism. In classical terms, everyone who was not a Roman was a second-class person. In immigration, everyone who goes roaming is treated as a second class person.

Good night.
This discussion has been closed.