Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump’s WH2016 victory could be the last time the national pop

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited March 2019
    I doubt this makes much difference, Colorado voted for Hillary anyway, it would need Trump voting states to allocate electoral votes based on the national popular vote to make a difference.

Plus Hillary won the popular vote by 2.2% not 3.1%
  • Options
    RobD said:

Just had my second e mail from TIG. A bit amateurish but pleasant enough but concentrating on achieving a referendum

After brexit they need to be able to appeal to all in the centre, remainers and leavers, but it is fascinating to watch their attempts

Mind you, following the toxicity of todays Corbyn and inner circle, Tom Watson marching 100 mps into TIG would be a game changer and exhaust the supply of popcorn overnight

Don't be tempted by the dark side, Big_G!
    Hopefully not but it is interesting
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Hmm...Why would smaller States agree to this? Why would swing States that get tens of millions spent in them by each side agree to this? Why would Republican America in the fly over agree to give up power to those flaky east and west coasters?

I find it incredibly unlikely that this will come to pass. It seems a completely disproportionate response, even to something as daft as Trump.

There are two circumstances where this could "fly":

1. Texas flips in 2020, and the Republicans edge the national vote while losing the electoral college. Suddenly, there is real fear in the Republican party that there will be tens of millions of wasted votes in the state.

2. The Democrats in 2020 and 2024 run up ever increasing vote margins, but it doesn't translate into power. I'm not talking about 3% wins, I'm talking about a 10% difference. At this point, it feels to California like the East and West Pakistan situation. Secession - which seems very unlikely right now - could raise its head, forcing a change.

If the Dems become competitive in Texas this whole idea will disappear faster than hot shit off a shovel as we say in these parts.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    I wonder why Pollard and the rest of the RW trolls are suddenly going in hard on Laura Murray

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1102623516879396864

Sensible tactics, go for them when they are at their weakest.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

I don't see how the electoral college system will be changed when 30 states voted for Trump in 2016 compared to 20 for Clinton.

Indeed, France elects its President by nationwide popular vote but does not have the distinct state identities of the USA and is a much more centralised country. It is called the United States of America for a reason
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    HYUFD said:

I doubt this makes much difference, Colorado voted for Hillary anyway, it would need Trump voting states to allocate electoral votes based on the national popular vote to make a difference.

If the states allocated their votes based on the national vote, there would be no need for the states at all! It would be done purely on a the popular vote.

[Yes I know that isn't quite right, what with rounding, but it's damn well close enough]
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

I wonder why Pollard and the rest of the RW trolls are suddenly going in hard on Laura Murray

I think it has more to do with her putting words into the mouth of someone hated by the cultists and then drawing adverse conclusions from the made-up words that she put into the mouth of that person.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

You actually make me laugh you are so transparent

Nothing to do with this then?

https://order-order.com/2019/03/04/rachel-riley-suing-labours-new-complaints-adviser/
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Much as we love to joke about Lord Falconer resigning, if he were to walk away from the anti-semitism issue in Labour, citing obstruction etc etc etc, who thinks it could be massive this time: the starting pistol for the TIG-tsunami?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,213

One tries not to get cross over anything one reads in the newspapers; however, I was more than a little miffed after having read the following gem from today's Guardian:

"A primary school that taught pupils about homosexuality as part of a programme to challenge homophobia has stopped the lessons after hundreds of children were withdrawn by parents in protest.

"Parkfield community school in Saltley, Birmingham, has been the scene of weekly protests over the lessons, which parents claim are promoting gay and transgender lifestyles.

"On Friday about 600 Muslim children, aged between four and 11, were withdrawn from the school for the day, parents said. The school would not confirm the number."

"Parents have been protesting outside the Saltley school, which is rated as outstanding by Ofsted. At one protest they held signs that read “say no to promoting of homosexuality and LGBT ways of life to our children”, “stop exploiting children’s innocence”, and “education not indoctrination”."

(Briefly, the piece then goes on to quote a parent saying, effectively, 'I'm not a homophobe BUT...' and to relate how the school swiftly capitulated to their blackmail.)

Still, at least it's a valuable lesson to us gays when something like this happens every so often. It reminds us that any and all forms of bigotry may be deployed against us - provided that they can be justified by somebody's interpretation of a collection of ancient myths authored at some point prior to AD700 (e.g. the Bible, the Quran, the Ancient Canticles of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or whatever the fuck else) - and that we should remember to know our place and never get too uppity.*

*Point of clarification: I am actually properly, fucking pissed off with this whole situation. I think the root problem is that us gays are just too nice for our own good (much like the Jews actually: is it really such a coincidence that old Adolf sent both them and us the same way up a chimney? But I digress...) If gays issued faggot-wahs against people and blew themselves up on public transport every time they got angry about shit - rather then organising an inclusive and welcoming LGBTQIA+ pride carnival, or perhaps sending Peter Tatchell and an elite strike team of half-a-dozen placard-waving queers to stage a non-violent protest if we felt REALLY upset - then people would treat us with a bit more fucking respect?

(EDIT: NO - I'm not actually advocating the deployment of homo-suicide squads.)

I agree with you. But you will probably be accused of Islamophobia shortly by The Jezziah.

Damian Hinds was saying recently that schools would be obliged to provide such lessons and parents would not be allowed to opt out. So one hopes that action will be taken to enforce the law in relation to this school. Or do we just give in to blackmail by bigoted parents?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Hmm...Why would smaller States agree to this? Why would swing States that get tens of millions spent in them by each side agree to this? Why would Republican America in the fly over agree to give up power to those flaky east and west coasters?

I find it incredibly unlikely that this will come to pass. It seems a completely disproportionate response, even to something as daft as Trump.

1. Texas flips in 2020, and the Republicans edge the national vote while losing the electoral college. Suddenly, there is real fear in the Republican party that there will be tens of millions of wasted votes in the state.

2. The Democrats in 2020 and 2024 run up ever increasing vote margins, but it doesn't translate into power. I'm not talking about 3% wins, I'm talking about a 10% difference. At this point, it feels to California like the East and West Pakistan situation. Secession - which seems very unlikely right now - could raise its head, forcing a change.

Wouldn't the Republicans just say to California "make sure you close the door on the way out?"
    No.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

If the Dems become competitive in Texas this whole idea will disappear faster than hot shit off a shovel as we say in these parts.
    JFK, LBJ and Carter all won Texas for the Democrats but it would probably take a Texan or at least a Southerner on the ticket like O'Rourke for them to have a real chance
  • Options

I thought it was because allegedly she'd lied about what a jewish person had tweeted, insulted that person and then next day been moved to help with Labour's AS case-work from the shadow leader's office... whilst having libel proceedings started against her.

But I've been out all day so I'm playing catch-up.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    edited March 2019
    Scott_P said:
    *That* Claudia Webbe is now the person who is responsible for investigating complaints of anti-semitic prejudice?

The Livingstone Protege who wrote to the Guardian defending him when he compared a Jewish journo to a Concentration Camp Guard?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2006/feb/28/london.localgovernment

Lordy...

• Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Cyclefree said:

Endillion said:

Cyclefree said:

Anorak said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    “Sorting out” being a euphemism for “shredding” I assume.
    Are there legal implications for shredding this sort of thing? IANAL.
    Depends on what is bring shredded. Remember that there is a current police investigation into a number of anti-semitic allegations within Labour. Shredding any potentially relevant documents could be very problematic in those cases.

But shredding only helps if a paper document is the only record. Unlikely I’d have thought.
    Hang on, I thought the shredding thing was a joke! Is there actually serious suggestion this is occurring?

Seems slightly more likely that they're just running round like headless chickens trying to find all the files and make it look like they had a proper system in place for the past year or so. Surely they wouldn't be dumb enough to start destroying evidence now?

Yeah, they could actually be shredding stuff, I suppose.
    When people panic - and I 100% guarantee you that people are panicking right now at Labour HQ because unless you really know how to deal with this stuff (investigations), panic is the inevitable reaction of anyone facing a serious problem, let alone a crisis - they tend to do stupid things.

Fair point. Thanks.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

It is because she is (at least) a very close associate of and collaborator with anti-Semites, and people don't like anti-Semites. If you could free yourself from the mindset that nobody really, secretly, gives a toss about the Jews and therefore everything must really be about something else - an assumption underlying everything you ever post - life would become much easier for you.
  • Options
    Anorak said:

HYUFD said:

If the states allocated their votes based on the national vote, there would be no need for the states at all! It would be done purely on a the popular vote.

[Yes I know that isn't quite right, what with rounding, but it's damn well close enough]
    Precisely why most states would oppose it
  • Options

I think it has more to do with her putting words into the mouth of someone hated by the cultists and then drawing adverse conclusions from the made-up words that she put into the mouth of that person.
    I don't doubt Pollard and the rest are delighted with the opportunity to crush the young woman at a particularly low point. If the glove fits.
  • Options
    Goodness there's a lot to catch up on..... some good analysis out there of what this all means though:

https://twitter.com/ColinCorbynista/status/1102620178171551745

https://twitter.com/ColinCorbynista/status/1102602869881090048
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Who is Laura Murray?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. Max, she's the next blank spot on a photo.
  • Options

I don't doubt Pollard and the rest are delighted with the opportunity to crush the young woman at a particularly low point. If the glove fits.
    Is that what the cult have been reduced to? Not denying deplorable behaviour but claiming that completely unrelated matters make it acceptable?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

Wouldn't the Republicans just say to California "make sure you close the door on the way out?"
    California used to be solid Republican, e.g. Nixon won it even when he lost in 1960 as did Ford in 2976 and it was Reagan and Nixon's home state, Reagan easily winning it twice, so states can change allegiance.

An independent California would be very viable though and in the top 10 world economies
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited March 2019
    Cyclefree said:

One tries not to get cross over anything one reads in the newspapers; however, I was more than a little miffed after having read the following gem from today's Guardian:

"A primary school that taught pupils about homosexuality as part of a programme to challenge homophobia has stopped the lessons after hundreds of children were withdrawn by parents in protest.

"Parkfield community school in Saltley, Birmingham, has been the scene of weekly protests over the lessons, which parents claim are promoting gay and transgender lifestyles.

"On Friday about 600 Muslim children, aged between four and 11, were withdrawn from the school for the day, parents said. The school would not confirm the number."

"Parents have been protesting outside the Saltley school, which is rated as outstanding by Ofsted. At one protest they held signs that read “say no to promoting of homosexuality and LGBT ways of life to our children”, “stop exploiting children’s innocence”, and “education not indoctrination”."

(Briefly, the piece then goes on to quote a parent saying, effectively, 'I'm not a homophobe BUT...' and to relate how the school swiftly capitulated to their blackmail.)

Still, at least it's a valuable lesson to us gays when something like this happens every so often. It reminds us that any and all forms of bigotry may be deployed against us - provided that they can be justified by somebody's interpretation of a collection of ancient myths authored at some point prior to AD700 (e.g. the Bible, the Quran, the Ancient Canticles of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or whatever the fuck else) - and that we should remember to know our place and never get too uppity.

I agree with you. But you will probably be accused of Islamophobia shortly by The Jezziah.

Damian Hinds was saying recently that schools would be obliged to provide such lessons and parents would not be allowed to opt out. So one hopes that action will be taken to enforce the law in relation to this school. Or do we just give in to blackmail by bigoted parents?
    The latter. The former would require the Government, which has pretty much ceased to function, to actually do something. And, yes, it would probably also provoke wailing about Islamophobia by New Left politicians and media-types, which weary ministers can't be arsed to deal with.
  • Options

Is that what the cult have been reduced to? Not denying deplorable behaviour but claiming that completely unrelated matters make it acceptable?
    You really need to ask?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,579
    edited March 2019
    MaxPB said:

Who is Laura Murray?

She is (perhaps) the latest hereditary beneficiary of nepotism in the completely egalitarian Corbobubble. But (perhaps) about to be defensetrated to land beneath a Boris Bus, if they are still a thing.

And is (perhaps) about to find herself in need of some crowd-finding advice from Windy Miller.
  • Options
    @Black_Rock

If it is any comfort, myself and my family are attending a same sex wedding a week on Saturday.

My five year old has a few concerns, mostly to do with who throws the bouquet, because he wants me to catch it (!)
  • Options

Hang on. She gets a free pass for being obnoxious because her mum starts cancer treatment? That's the best you've got?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325

@Black_Rock

If it is any comfort, myself and my family are attending a same sex wedding a week on Saturday.

"my family and I are attending"??
  • Options

I thought it was because allegedly she'd lied about what a jewish person had tweeted, insulted that person and then next day been moved to help with Labour's AS case-work from the shadow leader's office... whilst having libel proceedings started against her.

But I've been out all day so I'm playing catch-up.
    TBH the general idea of Pollard and the rest is to go for anyone involved or not with the Corbyn project I'm not sure actual other real motive is required. A young woman at a particularly low moment is too good an opportunity for them too miss though.

Someone who likes to bait left wing Jews like Michael Rosen and others tweeted something that could be taken a number of ways but I'm guessing the interpretation of it is now a legal matter given the tweet from LM was deleted.

• Options
    Luke Perry from Beverley Hills 90210 has died aged 52

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-47448666
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,983
    Cyclefree said:

I think it would depend on whether the school is still under local authority control or is an academy and if the former how brave the local authority wishes to be.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,076

@Black_Rock

My five year old has a few concerns, mostly to do with who throws the bouquet, because he wants me to catch it (!)

They're running the risk of you doing a Raquel Welch and upstaging them.
  • Options
    eek said:

Cyclefree said:

I think it would depend on whether the school is still under local authority control or is an academy and if the former how brave the local authority wishes to be.
    Does the law apply to us all or does it not?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

nico67 said:

Floater said:

No wonder certain posters just want to move on
    Not really I don’t support Corbyn but the media have cremated this now . Still waiting for the media to discuss the Islamophobia amongst the Tory party .
    Clearly one of those troublesome types who think discrimination against Muslims is somehow equal to discrimination against other groups.

The Conservatives on PB will correct that thinking for you...
    woof woof - there he is; Corbyn's anti-semitism is discussed on PB and up pops @TheJezziah.
    Conservatives and Islamophobia mentioned and who else but Topping with the whataboutery train..

If your fine with those kind of values and want to support them with your vote that's your decision to make... just might make your usual whining look a little hypocritical.
    How's this for Islamophobia?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-47321871
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035

TOPPING said:

nico67 said:

Floater said:

Not really I don’t support Corbyn but the media have cremated this now . Still waiting for the media to discuss the Islamophobia amongst the Tory party .
    Clearly one of those troublesome types who think discrimination against Muslims is somehow equal to discrimination against other groups.

woof woof - there he is; Corbyn's anti-semitism is discussed on PB and up pops @TheJezziah.
    Conservatives and Islamophobia mentioned and who else but Topping with the whataboutery train..

If your fine with those kind of values and want to support them with your vote that's your decision to make... just might make your usual whining look a little hypocritical.
    If you were genuinely concerned about the Conservative Party and Islamaphobia, or indeed racism in general, then you should also be angry at the anti-Semtism within Labour.

From the Hope not Hate report you referenced wrt the Conservatives, but evidently had not read:

"The Labour Party continues to be embroiled in its antisemitism scandal, which sadly is mostly of its own making. While it is undoubtedly true that its opponents have publicly exploited as anyone involved in politics would exploit problems in their opposition, the fact remains that a few Labour Party members and supporters, from the top to the bottom, have either engaged in antisemitism and the party has a whole has failed to deal with issues as they arise.

Central to Labour’s problem has been Jeremy Corybn himself, whether that is his conflation of his antiIsraeli position with the Jewish people more generally, his repeated presence in the company of Holocaust Deniers and anti-Semites, his failure to apologise for his past statements or associations and his complete lack of empathy with the concern of his own Jewish MPs and activists and the wider Jewish community more generally."

http://www.hopenothate.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/state-of-hate-2019-final-1.pdf

But you are not interested in tackling racism - at least, not when it is anti-Semitism. You excuse and deny.
  • Options

@Black_Rock

They're running the risk of you doing a Raquel Welch and upstaging them.
    I always do.

I turn up to weddings in a morning suit.
  • Options
    eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Enforcing the law should not mean being "brave". Damian Hinds needs to stamp down hard on this.

Or can we all pick and choose which laws we choose to obey.....?
  • Options

What?

What exactly is her deplorable behaviour?

If she tweeted something that mischaracterised Riley's tweet then fair enough that is a bad thing it hardly makes her behaviour deplorable.

Pollard and the like would happily take that opportunity, also I would have more sympathy for complaints about that being unrelated if lots of criticisms of Corbyn or Corbyn supporters didn't also bring in unrelated facts like say Scraphead mentioning Riley was Jewish.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited March 2019

@Black_Rock

Oh, I know you lot aren't all anti-us lot by any stretch of the imagination (and some people are in both camps at once, of course,) but it's so depressing when people like those to whom the previously-quoted article referred are allowed to get away with weak excuses such as "my ten-year-old is too young to understand this." Three points:

(1) If said ten-year-old is expected to embrace the concept of an omnipotent-yet-invisible deity, who created everyone and everything and who related His laws to humanity through a series of ecstatic revelatory experiences to a Prophet, then they can get two ladies holding hands
    (2) If a group of parents at a little village CofE school somewhere out in the sticks said that they didn't want their darlings learning about non-Christian religions in their RE classes, the same people who are remaining diplomatically silent about this would absolutely eviscerate them
    (3) If parents are really so convinced that homosexuality is sin then religious freedom applies: they can still have this taught to their offspring in their places of worship, and reinforce the message at home. But it's not up to them to veto the curriculum mandated by ministers under the authority granted them by Parliament

I mean, honestly...
  • Options

Hang on. She gets a free pass for being obnoxious because her mum starts cancer treatment? That's the best you've got?
    Who said that?

I'm not sure her 'obnoxious' behaviour justifies the response, it is purely political and driven by angry old men like Pollard delighted to attack this young woman at a low moment.
  • Options

What?

If she tweeted something that mischaracterised Riley's tweet then fair enough that is a bad thing it hardly makes her behaviour deplorable.

Pollard and the like would happily take that opportunity, also I would have more sympathy for complaints about that being unrelated if lots of criticisms of Corbyn or Corbyn supporters didn't also bring in unrelated facts like say Scraphead mentioning Riley was Jewish.
    Unrelated facts... like invoking Stephen Pollard on a story about Rachel Riley suing Laura Murray for libel?
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Floater said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

It applies to all but there are scenarios where you wish to offload the implementation to a faceless bureaucrat rather than be the person responsible.

Fining all the parents for taking the children out of school for the day is one of those scenarios where you want to say sorry it was out of my control the council's computer system did it.

How else would you suggest you deal with 600 people in such a way they don't become a mob...
  • Options

TOPPING said:

nico67 said:

Floater said:

How's this for Islamophobia?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-47321871
    Not that I understand much around India's view on cows but I'm almost slightly surprised it wasn't more common in the past.
  • Options

What?

It was a verbal assault on Rachel Riley. One that has apparently given rise to libel proceedings. Challenged on it, she repeatedly doubled down, as did the Corbynite claque.

That line not having lasted the day, you now seek to put her beyond criticism by claiming that others are being beastly to her. It’s palpable nonsense.

Instead of standing blindly behind your cult leader, consider why the cult is in such a mess tonight. In large part it is because it at every stage has chosen to defend its own rather than confront their failings. Time to take a cold hard look at the behaviour you are defending.
  • Options
    eek said:

Floater said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

It applies to all but there are scenarios where you wish to offload the implementation to a faceless bureaucrat rather than be the person responsible.

Fining all the parents for taking the children out of school for the day is one of those scenarios where you want to say sorry it was out of my control the council's computer system did it.

How else would you suggest you deal with 600 people in such a way they don't become a mob...
    The law needs to be applied to all equally without fear or favour - as has been said below if this was a bunch of baptists you think people would tiptoe around this?

• Options
    Endillion said:

What?

Unrelated facts... like invoking Stephen Pollard on a story about Rachel Riley suing Laura Murray for libel?
    Pollard was brought up (via tweet) by another poster, previous page or below depending on your reading method.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Pulpstar said:

Just had a look at "Gorse bank road" on Google maps where Yousef Makki was stabbed. If it can happen there, it can happen anywhere.

But can it happen to anyone? As ever, what we need to know is, was the victim known to the perpetrator? When the media big up certain murders, it's important that they don't give the impression that there's a potential serial killer on the loose.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    Ever get the impression that the cult is starting to feel its socialist revolution slowly slip-slip-slipping away? The desperation is palpable.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Will J Corbyn be expelled from the labour party?

He could always join the Tigs.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited March 2019
    The scary thing is that we're fewer than four weeks from the event that ensures a Corbyn government.

Sustained No Deal Brexit.
  • Options

What?

It was a verbal assault on Rachel Riley. One that has apparently given rise to libel proceedings. Challenged on it, she repeatedly doubled down, as did the Corbynite claque.

That line not having lasted the day, you now seek to put her beyond criticism by claiming that others are being beastly to her. It’s palpable nonsense.

Instead of standing blindly behind your cult leader, consider why the cult is in such a mess tonight. In large part it is because it at every stage has chosen to defend its own rather than confront their failings. Time to take a cold hard look at the behaviour you are defending.
    A 'verbal assault' jeez... I hope the hospital was able to offer sufficient treatment for the injuries. Let's not overdo the hyperbole.

Also 'repeatedly doubled down' is this doubling down multiple times? Didn't we just discuss hyperbole.

None of her behaviour (minus hyperbole) excuses the strength of reaction from trolls like Pollard against the young woman. The fact they are choosing to do so as her Mother starts cancer treatment just shows them up for the low lives they are.

Look again at the hyperbole in your post and look again at the behaviour you are condoning in the name of anti Corbyn and ask yourself if you really want to take this particular position. Plenty to agree with Corbyn critics on but I would have thought you would be above the nastier edge.
  • Options
    Floater said:

eek said:

Floater said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

The law needs to be applied to all equally without fear or favour - as has been said below if this was a bunch of baptists you think people would tiptoe around this?

Yep - 600 children so probably every child in the school - even if I was doing anything I would be taking my time over it.,

And given that the event occurred on Friday there hasn't been enough time for anything to occur yet nor any need for things to be done immediately. For something like this I would want everything lined up and absolutely watertight before start whatever action is going to occur.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    eek said:

rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

Brendan O'Neill nails it:

The introduction, yet again, of narrowly economic questions into the debate about Brexit shows that the political class still don’t get it. They still don’t get why people voted for Brexit. And this goes for politicos from across the political spectrum. The Corbynista left patronises the hell out of Brexit voters by saying that the real reason they voted Leave is because they are ‘hurting’ economically, they feel ‘left behind’, they are still sad and wounded by the fallout from the financial crisis of 2008 onwards. In short, the vote for Brexit was a confused and tragic cry for help, mostly for economic help, and it falls to the PhD-laden activists of the Corbyn set to decipher that cry and answer it. Supercilious much?

On the right too, and in pro-Remain circles, there is an obsession with the economic dimension of Brexit. What will it do to jobs? The amount of time lorries have to wait at Dover? Will we have to pay €7 to visit Europe post-Brexit? What about data-roaming charges when we’re holidaying in Spain? Have you thought about all of this, you dumb Brexiteers?!

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/03/theresa-mays-bung-shows-she-still-doesnt-understand-brexit/

Brendan O'Neill is correct, but there's a huge caveat.

If there is a recession - a real proper, serious recession - then the government and Brexit will get the blame. Yeah, sure, a lot people might say "those damn EUites caused it..."

But that's going to be cold comfort to people who lost their job or their home. It's easy to care about sovereignty when the mortgage is paid, and the difficult question is about where the next family holiday will be.
    Brendan O'Neill isn't correct - sovereignty in a world were Labour controls everything isn't that important. For a lot of people all they want is the next additional bit of free money is coming from, that is what the bus with the £350m a week offered them, and why it worked so well. Once they know it's not true they will be annoyed but nowt will change.

If remain want to win they need to show that the EU gives more to poorer regions than the Government will. And today's announcement does that they just need to ensure the message gets through.
    If Brendan O'Neill is anything approaching the answer, you are asking the wrong question.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    eek said:

Floater said:

eek said:

Floater said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Yep - 600 children so probably every child in the school - even if I was doing anything I would be taking my time over it.,

And given that the event occurred on Friday there hasn't been enough time for anything to occur yet nor any need for things to be done immediately. For something like this I would want everything lined up and absolutely watertight before start whatever action is going to occur.
    TBH with it being every child in the school almost (if previous posts are accurate) you could argue for treading carefully as the kids education (a whole schools worth) is at stake as well but ultimately the end solution has to be them receiving the same lessons as the law mandates.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Just had my second e mail from TIG. A bit amateurish but pleasant enough but concentrating on achieving a referendum

After brexit they need to be able to appeal to all in the centre, remainers and leavers, but it is fascinating to watch their attempts

Mind you, following the toxicity of todays Corbyn and inner circle, Tom Watson marching 100 mps into TIG would be a game changer and exhaust the supply of popcorn overnight

Don't be tempted by the dark side, Big_G!
    The Dark Side is the one you are currently signed up to, albeit from your safe house on the other side of the Atlantic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn1VxaMEjRU
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

The scary thing is that we're fewer than four weeks from the event that ensures a Corbyn government.

Nah, there'll be an extension first. ERG and Lab rebels don't want a referendum even if they won't back a deal, so kicking the can it is.
  • Options

To its credit, this was actually put up somewhere quite easy to find on the Guardian website, although I think we may be waiting some considerable time for one of their rapier-witted team of opinion writers to stop wetting their pants over Brexit for five seconds and condemn this blatant instance of religiously-motivated homophobia. I can't, for one moment, imagine why...

(EDIT: NO - I'm not actually advocating the deployment of homo-suicide squads.)

Clearly the irony of the phrase "education not indoctrination" is lost on religious parents.
  • Options

Hearing rumours Sir Desmond Glazebrook has been approached if Charlie Falconer should happen to pre-resign.

That or:

https://twitter.com/GOsborneGenius/status/1102606077441593346

@Pulpstar's cat is usually the go-to guy in these sorts of situations. A sort of feline John Reid-style utility candidate.
  • Options
    I missed the phrase homo-suicide squads earlier...

Comedians would have a field day.
  • Options

I like the idea of three new Tories from the sane wing of your party, followed shortly afterwards by your proposed giant consignment of sane Labourites. Would be the perfect day for me.
  • Options

A 'verbal assault' jeez... I hope the hospital was able to offer sufficient treatment for the injuries. Let's not overdo the hyperbole.

Also 'repeatedly doubled down' is this doubling down multiple times? Didn't we just discuss hyperbole.

None of her behaviour (minus hyperbole) excuses the strength of reaction from trolls like Pollard against the young woman. The fact they are choosing to do so as her Mother starts cancer treatment just shows them up for the low lives they are.

Look again at the hyperbole in your post and look again at the behaviour you are condoning in the name of anti Corbyn and ask yourself if you really want to take this particular position. Plenty to agree with Corbyn critics on but I would have thought you would be above the nastier edge.
    There is no hyperbole in my post. The sting of the original accusation, which I will not repeat out of respect for OGH, was that this was a woman completely beyond the pale of decency. Verbal assault is an entirely justifiable description of it.

You seem fine about such accusations being bandied around when they’re by fellow cultists. Have a long hard think about what you defend. This “young woman” holds a senior role and is about to be given another, we are told. Odd to see someone who professes to be of the left resort to sexism and ageism.

You keep mentioning, irrelevantly, the illness of a woman who played no part in this. That really is scraping the dregs. But then your whole mode of operation is to defend your cult blindly. So I am unsurprised by your mental prostitution.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314

TOPPING said:

nico67 said:

Floater said:

Quite a lot of protesting there sunshine.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Endillion said:

Cyclefree said:

Anorak said:

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:
    “Sorting out” being a euphemism for “shredding” I assume.
    Are there legal implications for shredding this sort of thing? IANAL.
    Depends on what is bring shredded. Remember that there is a current police investigation into a number of anti-semitic allegations within Labour. Shredding any potentially relevant documents could be very problematic in those cases.

But shredding only helps if a paper document is the only record. Unlikely I’d have thought.
    Hang on, I thought the shredding thing was a joke! Is there actually serious suggestion this is occurring?

Seems slightly more likely that they're just running round like headless chickens trying to find all the files and make it look like they had a proper system in place for the past year or so. Surely they wouldn't be dumb enough to start destroying evidence now?

Yeah, they could actually be shredding stuff, I suppose.
    When people panic - and I 100% guarantee you that people are panicking right now at Labour HQ because unless you really know how to deal with this stuff (investigations), panic is the inevitable reaction of anyone facing a serious problem, let alone a crisis - they tend to do stupid things.

I'm sure that's true. Unfortunately people also do stupid things even if they are not in a panic!

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    philiph said:

He's a Brexiteer, so the Tories would be a better match.
  • Options

Much as we love to joke about Lord Falconer resigning, if he were to walk away from the anti-semitism issue in Labour, citing obstruction etc etc etc, who thinks it could be massive this time: the starting pistol for the TIG-tsunami?

Every one of Falconer's 5,345,236 resignations is pure box office Mark.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nah, there'll be an extension first. ERG and Lab rebels don't want a referendum even if they won't back a deal, so kicking the can it is.
    Will the EU agree an extension without a plan to remove the en passe. I somehow doubt it...
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003

Sean_F said:

rcs1000 said:

DavidL said:

No.
    Especially as Washington and Oregon are - if anything - even stronger Democratic strongholds. Losing the entire West Coast would be more than a bit embarrassing.

But, it's not likely.
  • Options
    eek said:

kle4 said:

Will the EU agree an extension without a plan to remove the en passe. I somehow doubt it...
    I would hope they wouldn't, but I'm not confident since I don't think they're as averse to kicking the can as they might claim either. After all, perhaps we'll pass the deal after all if we cannot extend, and they want us to revoke which might need more time.
  • Options

There is no hyperbole in my post. The sting of the original accusation, which I will not repeat out of respect for OGH, was that this was a woman completely beyond the pale of decency. Verbal assault is an entirely justifiable description of it.

You seem fine about such accusations being bandied around when they’re by fellow cultists. Have a long hard think about what you defend. This “young woman” holds a senior role and is about to be given another, we are told. Odd to see someone who professes to be of the left resort to sexism and ageism.

You keep mentioning, irrelevantly, the illness of a woman who played no part in this. That really is scraping the dregs. But then your whole mode of operation is to defend your cult blindly. So I am unsurprised by your mental prostitution.
    Ohh please, I'm simply learning from the dregs of society that have used the same tactics on Corbyn and the left. These things are incredibly relevant when it involves a criticism of Corbyn or his supporters... Suddenly we are supposed to believe Pollard and the like who have been attacking from the beginning are kind hearted souls who wouldn't push this now when she is at her lowest?

Not that naive.

So if there is no hyperbole in my post then repeatedly doubled down was a correct usage? so what that is like 8 times or something?

Riley continued her usual MO of attacking the left using Corbyn's attack as her latest ammunition, given her previous behaviour towards left wing people this is no surprise, that this angered the type of people it was aimed to anger is no surprise but that doesn't excuse lying about rachel in return. Although obviously that doesn't then excuse the dogpile from despicable types such as Pollard cheering on viciously attacking this woman at a low point either.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    _Anazina_ said:

Hearing rumours Sir Desmond Glazebrook has been approached if Charlie Falconer should happen to pre-resign.

That or:

@Pulpstar's cat is usually the go-to guy in these sorts of situations. A sort of feline John Reid-style utility candidate.
    He is considering his options
  • Options

Project Fear!
  • Options

Endillion said:

What?

Pollard was brought up (via tweet) by another poster, previous page or below depending on your reading method.
    Not exactly. He tweeted something on an emerging story, a link to which was posted here. Your impugning of his character was apropos of nothing.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,003
    edited March 2019
    Floater said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Academies are allowed a great deal of latitude in their curriculum, hence Reg Vardy's attempts to "teach the controversy" at his schools.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

nico67 said:

Floater said:

Quite a lot of protesting there sunshine.
    Classic Topping there, happy to talk for ages about Labour being racist and as soon as it comes to the Conservatives.... At least the whole bad faith thing is pretty clear now.
  • Options
    eek said:

Floater said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

If 600 people threaten to become a mob, you call in the police.

Sorry: but it is not acceptable to have laws designed to inculcate a climate of tolerance and to prevent the growth of hate and discrimination and then because one group of people, a group moreover who rightly benefit from laws preventing discrimination or hatred against them on the grounds of religion, don't like being asked to be tolerant to those different from them, those laws can be ignored.

Do whatever is needed but enforce the law - against everyone, without fear or favour.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,394
    Can I just say that Rachel Riley is absolutely gorgeous?

Thank you.
  • Options
    Fox News reportedly killed Stormy Daniels story to help Trump win.

Diana Falzone ‘had obtained proof’ of alleged affair but was told: ‘Rupert wants Donald Trump to win. So just let it go’

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/mar/04/fox-news-stormy-daniels-rupert-murdoch-trump-win
  • Options

Can I just say that Rachel Riley is absolutely gorgeous?

Thank you.

See, TSE? Not everything from Essex is bad :)
  • Options
    Quite bad tempered today. Probably a sign of things to come.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Ohh please, I'm simply learning from the dregs of society that have used the same tactics on Corbyn and the left. These things are incredibly relevant when it involves a criticism of Corbyn or his supporters... Suddenly we are supposed to believe Pollard and the like who have been attacking from the beginning are kind hearted souls who wouldn't push this now when she is at her lowest?

Not that naive.

So if there is no hyperbole in my post then repeatedly doubled down was a correct usage? so what that is like 8 times or something?

Riley continued her usual MO of attacking the left using Corbyn's attack as her latest ammunition, given her previous behaviour towards left wing people this is no surprise, that this angered the type of people it was aimed to anger is no surprise but that doesn't excuse lying about rachel in return. Although obviously that doesn't then excuse the dogpile from despicable types such as Pollard cheering on viciously attacking this woman at a low point either.
    I can’t count the doublings down because the the repeatings of the assertion under challenge have - wisely - been deleted. But no hyperbole. She kept going on this one.

Yet again you assert that the health of a woman who played no part in this is somehow relevant. It is not and it is disgusting that you suggest that it is.
  • Options
    Endillion said:

Endillion said:

What?

Not exactly. He tweeted something on an emerging story, a link to which was posted here. Your impugning of his character was apropos of nothing.
    He wasn't tweeting breaking news updates, whilst that may have been part of it he was tweeting his own opinion.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

_Anazina_ said:

That or:

He is considering his options
    It is that sort of equivocation that gets the rumour mill churning.
  • Options

Fox News reportedly killed Stormy Daniels story to help Trump win.

Hillary won :)
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Floater said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Sorry: but it is not acceptable to have laws designed to inculcate a climate of tolerance and to prevent the growth of hate and discrimination and then because one group of people, a group moreover who rightly benefit from laws preventing discrimination or hatred against them on the grounds of religion, don't like being asked to be tolerant to those different from them, those laws can be ignored.

Do whatever is needed but enforce the law - against everyone, without fear or favour.
    It is shocking that this even needs to be said
  • Options

Not that naive.

Isn't Riley a former Labour supporter? She is hardly a standard bearer for the right.
  • Options

Not that naive.

I can’t count the doublings down because the the repeatings of the assertion under challenge have - wisely - been deleted. But no hyperbole. She kept going on this one.

Yet again you assert that the health of a woman who played no part in this is somehow relevant. It is not and it is disgusting that you suggest that it is.
    Remind me to call this outrage train in next time it is used on Corbyn and his supporters, I have no doubt it will be suddenly missing.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Floater said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

It has needed to be said over and over and over again in recent years.
  • Options
    AnGofAnGof Posts: 28
    Floater said:

Cyclefree said:

eek said:

Floater said:

eek said:

Cyclefree said:

Why shocking? The law has never been enforced properly against certain groups whether because of sensitivity to cultural issues or sensitivity to wealth and power
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

Not that naive.

Isn't Riley a former Labour supporter? She is hardly a standard bearer for the right.
    I couldn't categorise her politics but at a guess possibly one of those on the right of New Labour, certainly no fan of the left!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited March 2019
    O/T

FPT:

There were about 200 homicides in London in 2003 but I don't remember it being reported very much in the news at the time. The rate in London over the last few years has been about half that (despite the population of the capital being significantly higher). There doesn't seem to be much relation between the crime rate and whether people are feeling particularly anxious about it; it seems to depend on completely different factors to do with whether people are feeling optimistic or pessimistic in general. When you have optimistic times with a high crime rate, like the early noughties, people don't talk about it much because it doesn't match the narrative. In more pessimistic times with a low crime rate, like now, people seem to feel anxious about the relatively lower rate of crime.
  • Options

Not that naive.

Remind me to call this outrage train in next time it is used on Corbyn and his supporters, I have no doubt it will be suddenly missing.
    I doubt you would find many of your other critics on this thread feel warmly to me either. I’ve not exactly been shy about calling out the xenophobia of the right. The hypocrisy of both extremes disgusts me.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

You'd be surprised how many people in the Labour party turn out to be of the right, when viewed from certain angles. There are hidden Tories everywhere, and some are Tories without even knowing it!
  • Options

philiph said:

I'm increasingly of the view that the Corbynites and Ergers should be granted a mutual homeland on the Isle of Wight, where they could volley abuse at each other from either side of Robin Hill, before, several decades later, slowly realising how much they had in common.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

She left and then criticised the cult of Corbyn so must be destroyed...
  • Options

Not that naive.

I doubt you would find many of your other critics on this thread feel warmly to me either. I’ve not exactly been shy about calling out the xenophobia of the right. The hypocrisy of both extremes disgusts me.
    I'd say there a small group of you, usually annoying both sides!
  • Options

_Anazina_ said:

Not that naive.

I couldn't categorise her politics but at a guess possibly one of those on the right of New Labour, certainly no fan of the left!
    Indeed she is probably to the right of, say, Seumas Milne.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

philiph said:

I'm increasingly of the view that the Corbynites and Ergers should be granted a mutual homeland on the Isle of Wight, where they could volley abuse at each other from either side of Robin Hill, before, several decades later, slowly realising how much they had in common.
    What did the Isle of Wight do to deserve that?

Maybe we could just pay for them all to take a holiday to Svalbard?
  • Options
    eek said:

_Anazina_ said:

She left and then criticised the cult of Corbyn so must be destroyed...
    All mild centre-lefties are traitors to the revolution!!
  • Options
    edited March 2019

No Deal Brexit won't ensure a Corbyn government given the vast majority of Tory voters are Leavers and Tory Remainers are more likely to switch to TIG or the LDs than Corbyn Labour.

Revoking Brexit though might ensure a Corbyn Government under FPTP through large-scale defections of Tory Leave voters to Farage's new Brexit Party and UKIP. At the moment if the Deal fails again I would say the latter is more likely than the former as the Commons will vote against No Deal but for extension of Article 50 and a Remain v Deal referendum if the EU requires that for a lengthy extension.

The Deal passing of course is still the Tories best bet of keeping out Corbyn, especially as his backing for EUref2 will annoy some swing voters in Leave voting Tory marginal seats
This discussion has been closed.