Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A Dilemma

123457»

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited February 2019

Jeremy Corbyn: Labour will support Brexit referendum

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47392018

But the Labour leader said he will also continue to push for "other available options" including a general election.....

He is still going to be saying this on the 29th March.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

Alistair said:

kinabalu said:

I've come to the conclusion that the best thing for America is for Trump to lose in 2020.

If he's impeached and convicted then his fans will see it as the swamp taking back control and they'll become even more angry.

That is my view too. Needs to run, lose big, then jail.

On Topic: What should we say to a 2 year extension?

Yes, of course! - So long as we are not tormented with a REF2.
    There would be every chance that the Dem president in such a scenario would "do an Obama" and fail to persue the crimes of the previous administration.
    In this circumstance trump would have already sighed his own pardon and only federal crimes could be pursued. If (when) Mueller comes up blank then there are no federal crimes to pursue.
    The hysteria over trump should tell you everything, he's a clear and present danger to the establishment, they are absolutely crapping themselves
    Ummm: surely you mean only state crimes could be pursued?

It would be somewhat, errr, odd for a sitting US President to be unable to visit his home state due to an outstanding arrest warrant.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Right. Until this evening I didn't believe there would be a second referendum, but now I think it is going to happen....

1. May loses meaningful vote by ~60 votes
    2. Parliament decides to break the deadlock by putting the WA to a referendum. (Leave/Remain will probably be on the ballot too, but it's not guaranteed.)
    3. Article 50 is paused/suspended/revoked.
    4. Euro elections in May
    5. Referendum in June
    6. By this point I assume May will have gone. Depending on the result of the referendum, a general election is likely in the autumn. No idea what the political landscape will be, what with the emergence of the Tiggers and the Farage party.

Of course all this drama could've been avoided if May hadn't made Brexit a Tory project. If she'd made it a cross-party project, there'd be a sizeable chunk of Labour who'd be voting to support the WA. As it is, she has effectively handed Labour a veto.
  • Options
    notme2 said:

Foxy said:

Skint Britain on 4 at the moment on UC in Hartlepool

Compelling viewing, but hard to see how Brexit is going to lead them to the sunlight uplands.

Unless it reduces the price of heroin or explains to unemployed people they need to look for work and attend job centre interviews to avoid been sanctioned, none whatsoever.
    ' Some homeless people in Sheffield have told a council they are better off begging on the streets than being placed in accommodation.

The Housing First scheme works with single homeless people to provide housing and other support.

Sheffield City Council said funding would be pulled because of a lack of suitable single accommodation.

One man told of earning up to £300 a day from begging, and said many people immediately spent the money on drugs. '

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-47374336
  • Options
    Yorkshire's Adil Rashid should be man of the match.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,396
    Well, it took time, but can I claim those four wickets Rashid has just winkled out in one over?

Good night after surely one of the great ODIs.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,391
    _Anazina_ said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Is somebody suggesting that the West Indies bat deep?

They bat as deep as antisemitism in the Labour Party. And that's pretty fecking deep.

They're going to win by three wickets.
    Not while Rashid is bowling.
    You mean, they're going to win by four wickets as Rashid is bowling pies that wouldn't get out a club cricketer?

*looks expectantly at Cricinfo*
    This post hasn’t aged well.
    It wasn't intended to. Indeed credit will be claimed for it which I am happy to concede.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Did I read down thread that Liverpool were going to struggle tonight?

It was my attempt to jinx Watford.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    It's very clear - 'Please please please is this enough to give hope to all the various Labour factions, large and small?'
    I'd have expected you of all people to point out the technical logical consistency of those positions
    I was only concerned with the motivation, in this instance, and did not put much mind to the technicals.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,815
    ydoethur said:

Well, it took time, but can I claim those four wickets Rashid has just winkled out in one over?

Good night after surely one of the great ODIs.

You lulled them into a false sense of security with all that pie talk ?

Good night.

• Options
    From the Guardian OBO

Where to begin with that? Rashid, who at one stage had figures of 4-0-50-0, ends with 10-0-85-5. Chris Gayle and Jos Buttler made staggering hundreds, Eoin Morgan made a hundred that was merely brilliant, and captained expertly under extreme pressure. And the rejuvenated Mark Wood kept England in the game with four top-order wickets while Gayle was running riot at the other end. He was the Man of the Match for me.

There were 805 runs, including a record-obliterating 46 sixes. And it ended with a four-wicket over. I have not a solitary clue what we have just seen.
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    Dadge said:

Of course all this drama could've been avoided if May hadn't made Brexit a Tory project. If she'd made it a cross-party project, there'd be a sizeable chunk of Labour who'd be voting to support the WA. As it is, she has effectively handed Labour a veto.

Cross-party would have meant BINO, at best.

You could argue we are in a similar position now but there is no way any Tory PM could have outsourced Brexit in that manner from the outset.

This way TM has a route to pinning the blame of failure on Labour for never having any intention of honoring the result.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    That last over today: . (dropped), W, W, . (attempted stumping), W, W.

What a good match.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

Right. Until this evening I didn't believe there would be a second referendum, but now I think it is going to happen....

2. Parliament decides to break the deadlock by putting the WA to a referendum. (Leave/Remain will probably be on the ballot too, but it's not guaranteed.)
    4. Euro elections in May
    5. Referendum in June
    6. By this point I assume May will have gone. Depending on the result of the referendum, a general election is likely in the autumn. No idea what the political landscape will be, what with the emergence of the Tiggers and the Farage party.

Given the number of Labour MPs who have said they will not back a second referendum hopefully you are wrong on this. But we will wait and see.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

I could watch Rash bowl all day, leg break, googly, flipper, arm ball, utter pie, you never really know what’s coming. Just pure entertainment.

• Options

Rashid is bowling utter shit.

This did not age well...
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    TOPPING said:

Can someone please tell me that the Marvelous Mrs Maisel gets a lot better (just finished episode 1...)

The shown is - in my opinion - Marvelous, but if you didn't like episode 1 it is not going to get fantastically better for you.
  • Options

Jeremy Corbyn: Labour will support Brexit referendum

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47392018

Meaningless waffle
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

kinabalu said:

I've come to the conclusion that the best thing for America is for Trump to lose in 2020.

If he's impeached and convicted then his fans will see it as the swamp taking back control and they'll become even more angry.

There would be every chance that the Dem president in such a scenario would "do an Obama" and fail to persue the crimes of the previous administration.
    In this circumstance trump would have already sighed his own pardon and only federal crimes could be pursued. If (when) Mueller comes up blank then there are no federal crimes to pursue.
    The hysteria over trump should tell you everything, he's a clear and present danger to the establishment, they are absolutely crapping themselves

It would be somewhat, errr, odd for a sitting US President to be unable to visit his home state due to an outstanding arrest warrant.
    Um yes I got that muddled
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Dadge said:

4. Euro elections in May
    5. Referendum in June

Brexit was always a Tory project though!

If Labour had been in government or the Lib Dems we would never had the advisory referendum in the first place!
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Scott_P said:
    Does anyone actually buy that 'paper'?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Scott_P said:
    William?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Yes.
  • Options

This did not age well...
    You can bowl shit and take wickets - Ian Botham was famous/ notorious for it.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Chap I know swears by it, but at 2.50, no thanks.
  • Options
    The way Spurs are going Ole may be in demand but he is going nowhere
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Floater said:

Scott_P said:
    William?
    I don't. :)
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

Scott_P said:
    I'm tempted, but only if that's a real fried egg.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Scott_P said:
    A bold headline - can one picture, however terrible, really betray all women?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited February 2019
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    She looks anorexic.

If so, then the headline is not strong enough.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Double breasted suits are so 20th century.

Now double breasted waistcoats are all the rage.

Full disclosure, I own six double breasted waistcoats.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

kinabalu said:

Um yes I got that muddled
    The real problem for President Trump is a financial one: his empire has been funded by Deutsche Bank and a few others.

Legal issues in the US could quickly land the Trump organisation in big trouble. You can be a highly profitable firm, but if you can't refinance your loans when they come due, you can lose everything.

See Barry O'Callaghan, who went from billionaire to bust in a few months in 2008/9.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

With lapels?
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    I suspect two-thirds of its circulation is free copies on Eurostar trains.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    rcs1000 said:

The real problem for President Trump is a financial one: his empire has been funded by Deutsche Bank and a few others.

Legal issues in the US could quickly land the Trump organisation in big trouble. You can be a highly profitable firm, but if you can't refinance your loans when they come due, you can lose everything.

See Barry O'Callaghan, who went from billionaire to bust in a few months in 2008/9.

https://twitter.com/drewharwell/status/1100880963654045703
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Labour really are hopeless at messaging re the second EU vote .

If you’re going to do this you need to deliver it with lots of fanfare and have a clear plan .

The message should be we’ve tried every possible route to avoid a damaging Tory Brexit , our sensible plan hasn’t got through and May has refused to compromise . We’re left with no choice but to go for the second vote .

A news conference should have been called at prime time , and they should have squarely laid the blame on May .

Instead you get an incoherent mess with different MPs saying different things , they’ve allowed the Tories and right wing press to push home the betrayal narrative .

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    I'm more concerned about the other story.

Is it the 'hat'?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

According to Auberon Waugh, double-breasted waistcoats are favoured by old Etonians and sodomites.
  • Options
    On topic, if I was on the EU side I'd offer the British a choice of *either* 1 month or their choice of anything from 6 months to 2 years.

I see why anyone would expect them to put themselves in a position where the British are still faffing around after the first extension and they have to choose between imposing No Deal on NI and creating a load of legal confusion about whether their parliament is properly constituted.
  • Options

This did not age well...
    You can bowl shit and take wickets - Ian Botham was famous/ notorious for it.
    I've umpired U13 cricket matches, so I've seen plenty of awful bowling get wickets while good bowling didn't because the batsman couldn't hit it. At that level any ball which was aimed at the stumps has a good chance of getting a wicket.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    edited February 2019
    nico67 said:

If you’re going to do this you need to deliver it with lots of fanfare and have a clear plan .

The message should be we’ve tried every possible route to avoid a damaging Tory Brexit , our sensible plan hasn’t got through and May has refused to compromise . We’re left with no choice but to go for the second vote .

A news conference should have been called at prime time , and they should have squarely laid the blame on May .

Instead you get an incoherent mess with different MPs saying different things , they’ve allowed the Tories and right wing press to push home the betrayal narrative .

Nice to see that , by implication, you concede that there is a betrayal motive to push home.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:
    I'm more concerned about the other story.

Is it the 'hat'?
    Look at her legs. The loose fitting double-breasted suit covers a skeleton.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

nico67 said:

Nice to see that , by implication, you concede that there is a betrayal motive to push home.
    It was always going to be a divisive move . Labour should be sending out leaflets to leave areas also to explain this decision. They can’t avoid some damage , the key for them is to minimize it but a second vote won’t happen anyway . Their hope is of course that Brexit is a car crash and they can blame the Tories . The Leave areas will soon forget the Labour move on a second vote if that’s the case .
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Scott_P said:
    Still utterly meaningless posturing.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333
    Good to see (or rather not see) very light coverage of the Trump in Vietnam nonsense. The best way to combat narcissistic charlatans is to deny them the attention they crave. If the media had taken that approach in 2015 / 16 we would not have this ghastly creature in the White House.

On Labour, I am not sure how wise it is to have given Lord Falconer (or indeed anybody) the title of 'Antisemitism Surveillance Commissioner'. It sounds like something out of a Kafka novel.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333

Still utterly meaningless posturing.

They're the opposition - what more do you suggest they do to get a referendum?
This discussion has been closed.