Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A Dilemma

Comments

• Options
    SeanTSeanT Posts: 549
    welshowl said:

SeanT said:

A small break from Brexit into geneaology?

Here's a story.

My sister has been very professionally researching our family tree. My Dad did this years before in a less committed way, and we discovered - as we expected - many centuries of Cornish tinners, farmers, smugglers, going back to the 13th century. plus a man who kept more frogs than anyone else in Cornwall ("froggy Skewes").

So I have always felt authentically Cornish, but not very posh.

My sister however has taken things further. She has gone back to my great great great great grandmother, Frances Moyle (nee Tremayne) - from whom I get my nom de plume.

It turns out this strand of the family has, well, quite the background.

The Tremaynes date back, provably and directly to the 12th century, and a Knight Templar, Peter de Tremaen, a warrior of Norman blood. Even more fascinating, Peter's son (my great great great... etc etc grandfather) married a Peverell, and they go back to the Norman Conquest, when my great great great... blah blah.. grandfather. Ranulph Peverell, was born of William the Conqueror and his Saxon mistress Maud (reputedly the granddaughter of Aethelred the Unready, and thus herself a descendant of Alfred the Great, and ultimately Odin, if Anglo Saxon legends are to be believed)..

I am thus a direct descendant of William the Conqueror. And I am therefore descended, directly, through him, from King Rollo of Normandy and Ragnar Lothbrok (the guys in VIKINGS, my favourite drama series of the moment - which is now suddenly a home movie), moreover via Rollo and Ragnar I am apparently descended from Halfdan the Old, Fortjof the Ancient Giant, and Snaer and Kari the Myth Kings of Kvenland, who are also regarded as the original Norse Gods of Snow and Ice.

So I'm *quite* posh after all.

I'm certainly glad I took my rightful name Tremayne.

So, Norway plus really for you isn’t it?
    Bravo!
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Here's a story.

My sister has been very professionally researching our family tree. My Dad did this years before in a less committed way, and we discovered - as we expected - many centuries of Cornish tinners, farmers, smugglers, going back to the 13th century. plus a man who kept more frogs than anyone else in Cornwall ("froggy Skewes").

My sister however has taken things further. She has gone back to my great great great great grandmother, Frances Moyle (nee Tremayne) - from whom I get my nom de plume.

The Tremaynes date back, provably and directly to the 12th century, and a Knight Templar, Peter de Tremaen, a warrior of Norman blood. Even more fascinating, Peter's son (my great great great... etc etc grandfather) married a Peverell, and they go back to the Norman Conquest, when my great great great... blah blah.. grandfather. Ranulph Peverell, was born of William the Conqueror and his Saxon mistress Maud (reputedly the granddaughter of Aethelred the Unready, and thus herself a descendant of Alfred the Great, and ultimately Odin, if Anglo Saxon legends are to be believed)..

I am thus a direct descendant of William the Conqueror. And I am therefore descended, directly, through him, from King Rollo of Normandy and Ragnar Lothbrok (the guys in VIKINGS, my favourite drama series of the moment - which is now suddenly a home movie), moreover via Rollo and Ragnar I am apparently descended from Halfdan the Old, Fortjof the Ancient Giant, and Snaer and Kari the Myth Kings of Kvenland, who are also regarded as the original Norse Gods of Snow and Ice.

Still a twat though.

Just kidding, apologies my liege.
    I, the descendant of Snaer Frostaston, Ruler of the Kvens, and Lord of Snow and Ice, hereby condemn you to a light shower of sleet. You have been warned.

https://www.geni.com/people/Myth-King-of-Kvenland-Snær-Frostason/5622076289410089854
    In 507 BC, King Cleomenes of Sparta captured the Athenian Acropolis, and as he approached Athena's temple was told by the priestess that no Dorian might enter there. 'I am no Dorian', he retorted, 'but an Achaean' - the point being that whereas all the other Spartans were from the Dorian tribe, their kings were descended directly from the Achaean Heracles, and thus from Zeus himself...
  • Options

Is anyone surprised ?

' Crossrail 2 is set to cost over £40bn, the Mayor of London has revealed in a budget document published earlier this week.

The £41.3bn estimate for the proposed north to south London line is higher than the Greater London Authority's widely cited £30bn budget, which is based on 2014 prices.

But the real cost is set to be much higher as it estimates the actual construction cost of the project.

In his final budget for 2019-2020, London mayor Sadiq Khan has put aside £10.4bn for the project between 2023 and 2028, followed by £18.4bn between 2029 and 2033 and £12.5bn from 2033 to 2038.
    '

http://www.cityam.com/273889/crossrail-2-costs-surge-over-40bn

Inevitably its not the first time cost projections have shown an increase:

' Estimated costs of the Crossrail 2 project have risen by nearly £7bn, according to new Transport for London (TfL) spending plans.

The 30% increase, of £6.6bn, has been due to the inclusion of costs for new trains and surface works, figures show.

It means the north-south rail scheme is now expected to cost £20bn for the shorter Metro route and £27.5bn for the longer regional option.
    '

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-30228899

To think they cancelled the Northern electrification because it was over budget by a lot less than that.
    I sympathise entirely.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Here's a story.

Nice story Sean, well done to your sister for her research; great to be able to trace back to William the Conqueror. How many generations between you and him?

I have often wondered what proportion of the country has descent from him. On the on hand, given the number of generations involved it could be a high percentage, on the other hand the aristos did tend to breed only amongst themselves. Has anyone ever researched this?
    The general thinking is that everyone with any European background is descended from Charlemagne. William is a bit more recent so it might not be so definite, but still probably quite likely.

Interestingly, because of the way that genes are chopped about when separating the genome into two halves for eggs and sperm, very few people will have any of Charlemagne's DNA.
  • Options

Three Identical Strangers on Ch4 tomorrow - worth watching.

Also, if anybody hasn't caught up with True Detective series 3 yet, you are in for a treat. Brilliant writing, exceptional cast.

The make up artists deserve whatever is the tv equivalent of an Oscar, the three ages of the the two main characters are completely convincing (I've assumed that it isn't cgi)..
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142
    edited February 2019
    SeanT said:

Here's a story.

Is this Peverell related to your ancestor:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Peverel

And not wanting to upset you but wiki says that 'there is no evidence of any illegitimate children born to WtC':

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_the_Conqueror#Family_and_children
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    edited February 2019
    Cooper Letwin vote

Ayes 502

Noes 20

The Commons therefore votes to extend Article 50 and delay Brexit and force May to abide by her commitment yesterday as Brexit power starts to shift from the executive to the legislature.

Just 20 votes against a terrible result for the ERG
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

Here's a story.

Ragnar is legendary and historically dubious.
    Hmm. I'm not sure he's THAT dubious. Someone with a name like that, and a story like his (tho not as amazing), probably existed, in some form. He's not like, say, King Arthur. Or Jesus.

Most likely he is a reputed warrior who got seriously embellished over time, as is human nature.

As the skeptical Wiki entry concludes:

"So far, attempts to firmly link the legendary Ragnar with one or several of those men have failed because of the difficulty in reconciling the various accounts and their chronology. Nonetheless, the core tradition of a Viking hero named Ragnar (or similar) who wreaked havoc in mid-9th-century Europe and who fathered many famous sons is remarkably persistent, and some aspects of it are covered by relatively reliable sources, such as the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle."

That seems fair. There is a kernel of truth at the source, but also a whole bunch of exaggeration and confusion, and the attachment of other legendary feats, by others, to his name.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,470
    edited February 2019
    Revised Cooper amendment (affirming the PM's commitments made yesterday) carries 502 v 20 with the ERG voting against. Once again the ERG vote against absolutely everything. Although the substantive is so harmless it went through on the nod.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Here's a story.

Still a twat though.

Just kidding, apologies my liege.
    Fittingly, Twatt is a fine, old Norse name.

"The settlement name originates from the Old Norse þveit, meaning 'small parcel of land'."
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,832
    edited February 2019
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Nice story Sean, well done to your sister for her research; great to be able to trace back to William the Conqueror. How many generations between you and him?

I have often wondered what proportion of the country has descent from him. On the on hand, given the number of generations involved it could be a high percentage, on the other hand the aristos did tend to breed only amongst themselves. Has anyone ever researched this?
    God I dunno. Forty generations, at a rough guess? I could actually count them, my sister has written it all down.

Yes I am sure there are many many thousands in the UK who are directly descended from William the First, and millions (most?) will be related in some way.

The difference is being able to *prove* a direct descent. Which my sister has done. Amazing.

It does explain, my wife says, certain things about me and the men in my family. Not all good, I hasten to add.
    Much as I like your story, your last para is bollocks. If it's 40 generations back to William the Bastard he could be providing as little as 1 trillionth of your DNA (1/2^40).

More likely he's contributing a bigger proportion due to the inbreeding that we all have in our ancestry but you are not really influenced by those raping and pillaging warlords any more than the rest of us.

Sorry, you'll have to find another excuse.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cooper Letwin vote

Ayes 502

Noes 20

The Commons therefore votes to extend Article 50 and delay Brexit and force May to abide by her commitment yesterday as Brexit power starts to shift from the executive to the legislature.

Boat loads of abstentions, then.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Scott_P said:
    Even fewer backers than that John Barron amendment he forced to division if memory serves
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Cooper Letwin vote

Ayes 502

Noes 20

Are the ERG beginning to realise their dream is gone if they don't vote May's deal and then try and change stuff later down the line?
  • Options
    Yvette Cooper's amendment:
    Ayes: 502
    Noes: 20

Who are the 20 lunatics?
  • Options
    Any Derby people here on PB?

What was Williamson like as a city leader?

• Options

The ERG having a totally normal one...

Ben Bradshaw @BenPBradshaw
    1m
    Chaos in Commons as ERG shout “no” to revised Cooper amendment which just repeats what May promised yesterday. ERG co-leader Francois mouths “what the f***k”. Most Tories voting for it. ERG it seems split. #BrexitShambles

Am I the only person who suspects that Mark Francois's actions are partially motivated by insecurity over his name ?

Couldn't he have just changed it to Mark Francis instead of behaving as he does.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Here's a story.

And not wanting to upset you but wiki says that 'there is no evidence of any illegitimate children born to WtC':

I have seen the disputes by these vile heretics. However, lot of historians believe Maud really did father the Peverell boy.

https://www.geni.com/people/Ranulph-de-Peverel-of-Hatfield/6000000002134874447
  • Options

SeanT said:

Here's a story.

The general thinking is that everyone with any European background is descended from Charlemagne. William is a bit more recent so it might not be so definite, but still probably quite likely.

Interestingly, because of the way that genes are chopped about when separating the genome into two halves for eggs and sperm, very few people will have any of Charlemagne's DNA.
    Certainly my father claimed we were decended from Charlemage: based on what evidence I have no idea. I have a Scottish surname though the family were in Devon since 1780 (another family legend says we were on the wrong side at the Battle of Colloden: I'm not which was the wrong side though...)
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Oh dear the ERG really are clueless .

• Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

God I dunno. Forty generations, at a rough guess? I could actually count them, my sister has written it all down.

Yes I am sure there are many many thousands in the UK who are directly descended from William the First, and millions (most?) will be related in some way.

The difference is being able to *prove* a direct descent. Which my sister has done. Amazing.

It does explain, my wife says, certain things about me and the men in my family. Not all good, I hasten to add.
    Much as I like your story, your last para is bollocks. If it's 40 generations back to William the Bastard he could be providing as little as 1 trillionth of your DNA (1/2^40).

More likely he's contributing a bigger proportion due to the inbreeding that we all have in our ancestry but you are not really influenced by those raping and pillaging warlords any more than the rest of us.

I was kinda joking! Shalom!

Tho I do get a weirdly red beard.....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Cooper Letwin vote

Ayes 502

Noes 20

Looks like the ERG was split with 70 or so abstaining embarrassed to vote against.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I was kinda joking! Shalom!

Tho I do get a weirdly red beard.....
    You are probably still more Native American than Elizabeth Warren
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I am thus a home movie), moreover via Rollo and Ragnar I am apparently descended from Halfdan the Old, Fortjof the Ancient f Snow and Ice.

If he is from Cornwall, inbreeding will reduce that trillion considerably.

Nevertheless you are right - weigh the trillion potential ancestors we all have from year 1000 with the population at the time and you can quickly see that we are all likely descended from all of them.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,360
    Dura_Ace said:

So you're basically saying you have no idea what's going to happen?

:-)

That is indeed another way of looking at it.

But TBF - to me! - what I'm offering is a 3 in 4 chance that Theresa triumphs and gets her Deal through and then steps down in 2021 for Gove and we go that way. Full Tory. Out of the EU. And all that entails.

Or -

The 1 in 4 chance that she fails and we get Jezza and REF2 and Remain and all that that entails.

Chuka et al can witter on all they like about a 'new politics for a new paradigm' but I do not see the middle ground triumphing here.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Cooper Letwin vote

Ayes 502

Noes 20

Looks like the ERG was split with 70 or so abstaining embarrassed to vote against.
    TM deal inching closer day by day
  • Options

Who are the 20 lunatics?

22 including Bone and Chope. The tellers tell you all you need to know.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Three Identical Strangers on Ch4 tomorrow - worth watching.

Also, if anybody hasn't caught up with True Detective series 3 yet, you are in for a treat. Brilliant writing, exceptional cast.

The make up artists deserve whatever is the tv equivalent of an Oscar, the three ages of the the two main characters are completely convincing (I've assumed that it isn't cgi)..
    Agreed. The whole transfer between the timelines is just masterful. On one level, it means the tension of certain situations dissipates - because you know they survive - but the way the relationships develop is superb story-telling.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Cooper Letwin vote

Ayes 502

Noes 20

Yep.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,027
    They want a referendum but don't want all the blame for it. Remember everything now has to be someone elses fault
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    So we have a number for the hardcore ERG block
    Anyone have the list of 22 ?
    20 + Chope + Bone
  • Options
    edited February 2019

HYUFD said:

Cooper Letwin vote

Ayes 502

Noes 20

Even had all the abstentions voted against over 80% of MPs would have voted to extend Article 50 and delay Brexit.

On that basis we are looking at just 20% of MPs really committed to No Deal which surely makes EUref2 increasingly likely to overtake No Deal as the main alternative to May's Deal given over 30% of MPs have already voted for May's Deal and close to 50% of MPs either back EUref2 or a softer Brexit than May's Deal. The ERG risks overlaying its hand
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Who are the 20 lunatics?

Lucy Allan
    John Barron
    Bob Blackman
    Bill Cash
    Rehman Chishti
    David Davies
    Philip Davies
    Richard Drax
    Philip Hollobone
    Gareth Johnson
    Esther McVey
    Nigel Mills
    Anne Marie Morris
    Tom Pursglove
    Henry Smith
    Bob Stewart
    Desmond Swayne
    Robert Syms
    Michael Tomlinson
    Martin Vickers
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,978
    SeanT said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

Here's a story.

Hmm. I'm not sure he's THAT dubious. Someone with a name like that, and a story like his (tho not as amazing), probably existed, in some form. He's not like, say, King Arthur. Or Jesus.

Most likely he is a reputed warrior who got seriously embellished over time, as is human nature.

"So far, attempts to firmly link the legendary Ragnar with one or several of those men have failed because of the difficulty in reconciling the various accounts and their chronology. Nonetheless, the core tradition of a Viking hero named Ragnar (or similar) who wreaked havoc in mid-9th-century Europe and who fathered many famous sons is remarkably persistent, and some aspects of it are covered by relatively reliable sources, such as the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle."

That seems fair. There is a kernel of truth at the source, but also a whole bunch of exaggeration and confusion, and the attachment of other legendary feats, by others, to his name.
    The Lothbroksons are certainly historical, so I suspect Ragnar was a real figure.

Vikings brings together, over a few decades, events that took place over a much longer timescale. Rollo didn't conquer Normandy until 911, and could not have been the brother of the man who sacked Lindisfarne in 793.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    On genealogy I had a mystery in mine: my maternal grandfather's father was missing. My maternal grandfather had the surname of the husband of his mother, but said husband had died two years before my grandfather was born! I ordered his birth certificate from the GRO but the father's name was blank.

Time passes and I do an Ancestry DNA test which comes back 76% "England, Wales and NW Europe", which was no surprise as all the genealogy I'd done through the records was boringly south-eastern English as far back as I could go, with a couple of branches a little further afield in Glos. and Oxon., and 24% "Irish and Scottish" which was quite a surprise, based on the records.

Then I got some close (2nd and 3rd cousin) DNA matches to some people with a distinctly Irish surname. I messaged them but got no reply.

Then a couple of months ago a new "hint" appeared for my maternal grandfather's mother. It was a WWI soldier's enlistment card listing her as next of kin. The soldier's surname was the same Irish name as from the DNA matches, and checking his family tree against the trees of the DNA matches confirmed the connection.

I also think I may be related to (although not descended from) an early 18th century pirate turned pirate-hunter, but other than that my ancestors appear to be pretty much farming stock in most directions. A few seeemed to own their own farms for a generation or two, but most were agricultural labourers.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Here's a story.

I have seen the disputes by these vile heretics. However, lot of historians believe Maud really did father the Peverell boy.

Its a bit medieval Rumsfeld:

Royal illegitimates we know of and were so
    Royal illegitimates we know of but actually weren't
    Royal illegitimates we don't know of but actually were
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Who are the 20 lunatics?

Lucy Allan
    John Barron
    Bob Blackman
    Bill Cash
    Rehman Chishti
    David Davies
    Philip Davies
    Richard Drax
    Philip Hollobone
    Gareth Johnson
    Esther McVey
    Nigel Mills
    Anne Marie Morris
    Tom Pursglove
    Henry Smith
    Bob Stewart
    Desmond Swayne
    Robert Syms
    Michael Tomlinson
    Martin Vickers
    Where's Boris and Jacob - indications where this is going
  • Options
    SeanT said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

Here's a story.

WP is an unreliable source when it comes to a historical figure who has been dramatised. There isn't actually much about him in the chronicle; he is just named as the common father of those leaders that arrived with the Great Army. The Chronicle (actually a batch of documents) contains its own contradictions and confusions. And the Vikings themselves didn't of course write anything down for posterity.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Cooper Letwin vote

Ayes 502

Noes 20

Are the ERG beginning to realise their dream is gone if they don't vote May's deal and then try and change stuff later down the line?
    Mogg's statement seems to suggest so
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Who are the 20 lunatics?

Lucy Allan
    John Barron
    Bob Blackman
    Bill Cash
    Rehman Chishti
    David Davies
    Philip Davies
    Richard Drax
    Philip Hollobone
    Gareth Johnson
    Esther McVey
    Nigel Mills
    Anne Marie Morris
    Tom Pursglove
    Henry Smith
    Bob Stewart
    Desmond Swayne
    Robert Syms
    Michael Tomlinson
    Martin Vickers
    And no Nadine. Those truly are the hard core nutters.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

This reminds us of another of the problems when tracing your ancestors: cuckoldry. It is estimated that 1-2% of children are unwittingly raised by fathers who are not their biological fathers. Over 40 generations that makes it more likely than not that the apparent genetic line is not the real one.

Still, if I were in Sean_T's shoes I'd still be claiming descent from William the Conq. :smile:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2010/06/the-paternity-myth-the-rarity-of-cuckoldry/#.XHbsFC10c_U
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

IanB2 said:

SeanT said:

Here's a story.

The Lothbroksons are certainly historical, so I suspect Ragnar was a real figure.

Vikings brings together, over a few decades, events that took place over a much longer timescale. Rollo didn't conquer Normandy until 911, and could not have been the brother of the man who sacked Lindisfarne in 793.
    Yes, that's my reading

Rollo (hello granddad) was almost certainly a real character. The first Viking to conquer Normandy.

He was apparently called "the Walker". Why? Because he was so massively big no horse could carry him

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollo
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_P said:

Who are the 20 lunatics?

Lucy Allan
    John Barron
    Bob Blackman
    Bill Cash
    Rehman Chishti
    David Davies
    Philip Davies
    Richard Drax
    Philip Hollobone
    Gareth Johnson
    Esther McVey
    Nigel Mills
    Anne Marie Morris
    Tom Pursglove
    Henry Smith
    Bob Stewart
    Desmond Swayne
    Robert Syms
    Michael Tomlinson
    Martin Vickers
    And no Nadine. Those truly are the hard core nutters.
    Caroline Flint sounding as if she is going to vote for the deal
  • Options
    rpjs said:

On genealogy I had a mystery in mine: my maternal grandfather's father was missing. My maternal grandfather had the surname of the husband of his mother, but said husband had died two years before my grandfather was born! I ordered his birth certificate from the GRO but the father's name was blank.

Time passes and I do an Ancestry DNA test which comes back 76% "England, Wales and NW Europe", which was no surprise as all the genealogy I'd done through the records was boringly south-eastern English as far back as I could go, with a couple of branches a little further afield in Glos. and Oxon., and 24% "Irish and Scottish" which was quite a surprise, based on the records.

Then I got some close (2nd and 3rd cousin) DNA matches to some people with a distinctly Irish surname. I messaged them but got no reply.

Then a couple of months ago a new "hint" appeared for my maternal grandfather's mother. It was a WWI soldier's enlistment card listing her as next of kin. The soldier's surname was the same Irish name as from the DNA matches, and checking his family tree against the trees of the DNA matches confirmed the connection.

I also think I may be related to (although not descended from) an early 18th century pirate turned pirate-hunter, but other than that my ancestors appear to be pretty much farming stock in most directions. A few seeemed to own their own farms for a generation or two, but most were agricultural labourers.

Doesn't sound like enough to get an Irish passport - bad luck!
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    algarkirk said:

I think it is fair to say that the chances of (2) coming to pass are approximately zero. The chances of (1), liberally interpreted (it may happen a bit earlier or later) are higher than 75%.

A near ZERO chance of a general election occurring before Brexit? I'm amazed you can be so certain of that. If this parliament will not Brexit only 2 things can happen - (1) We junk Brexit or (2) We junk this parliament, i.e GE.

And since junking Brexit leads to a GE in any case we may as well have the GE first.
  • Options
    Yvette, leader of the Opposition? Then the Tories would be panicking.

Obviously, a parallel universe.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

algarkirk said:

I think it is fair to say that the chances of (2) coming to pass are approximately zero. The chances of (1), liberally interpreted (it may happen a bit earlier or later) are higher than 75%.

A near ZERO chance of a general election occurring before Brexit? I'm amazed you can be so certain of that. If this parliament will not Brexit only 2 things can happen - (1) We junk Brexit or (2) We junk this parliament, i.e GE.

And since junking Brexit leads to a GE in any case we may as well have the GE first.
    Do you ever post without a GE in it
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106
    nico67 said:

I think the penny will drop with the majority of the ERG over the next couple of weeks.

They are in real danger of being the patsies for a failed Brexit...all because they wanted 'pure' rather than 'good enough'.

If they had any sense they would realise that eventually the backstop could be circumvented but if we fail to leave this time I find it hard to see another referendum in most of our lifetimes.

The ERG approach has been utterly absurd.
  • Options
    Here's a question. How many lines descended from William the Conqueror is the average 40 year old British person ?
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

The Tremaynes date back, provably and directly to the 12th century, and a Knight Templar, Peter de Tremaen, a warrior of Norman blood. Even more fascinating, Peter's son (my great .

This reminds us of another of the problems when tracing your ancestors: cuckoldry. It is estimated that 1-2% of children are unwittingly raised by fathers who are not their biological fathers. Over 40 generations that makes it more likely than not that the apparent genetic line is not the real one.

Still, if I were in Sean_T's shoes I'd still be claiming descent from William the Conq. :smile:

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/2010/06/the-paternity-myth-the-rarity-of-cuckoldry/#.XHbsFC10c_U
    Yeah. I'm deffo claiming William the Conq.

Besides, even if Ranulph wasn't born of Maud and William the Bastard (evidence suggests he was), that means my great great great great blah blah.... grandmother, born in 1003, is..

The Countess Mortaigne Herleve Arlette Fitzcourtanneur Fitzrichard (De Falaise), Duchess of Normandy

Which, I aver, is still FAIRLY posh.

https://www.geni.com/people/Countss-Mortaigne-Herleve-Fitzcourtanneur-Fitzrichard-Duchess-of-Normandy/6000000028341829327

• Options
    SunnyJim said:

nico67 said:

I think the penny will drop with the majority of the ERG over the next couple of weeks.

They are in real danger of being the patsies for a failed Brexit...all because they wanted 'pure' rather than 'good enough'.

If they had any sense they would realise that eventually the backstop could be circumvented but if we fail to leave this time I find it hard to see another referendum in most of our lifetimes.

Like all purists, who only talk to like-minded folk, and wind each other up over the port.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    Scott_P said:
    Looks like parliament is sticking two fingers up to the 17.4 million who voted to leave the EU. Good luck with that for our democracy
  • Options

rpjs said:

Doesn't sound like enough to get an Irish passport - bad luck!
    Sadly no. My wife has one though, but I think we'd have to live there for three years for me to qualify.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

20 + Chope + Bone

So May can maybe get up to 280 votes.

Her deal still doesn't pass. She needs active TIG and LD support plus labour rebels which I presume would only come with a confirmatory referendum.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

nico67 said:

Its an example of how UK membership of the EU went wrong.

Every other country in the EU ignores the rules it doesn't like to a greater or lesser extent.

While the UK obsesses about them.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,403
    England are more hopelessly lost than a female intern in the Kennedy White House.

Gayle might even win this win ten overs to spare.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

As my wife likes to point out, absent DNA matches, the only genealogical line you can be even reasonably confident about is the matrilineal one.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

20 + Chope + Bone

Her deal still doesn't pass. She needs active TIG and LD support plus labour rebels which I presume would only come with a confirmatory referendum.
    Or 50 labour mps from leave voting areas
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

The Tremaynes date back, provably and directly to the 12th century, and a Knight Templar, Peter de Tremaen, a warrior of Norman blood. Even more fascinating, Peter's son (my great .

Besides, even if Ranulph wasn't born of Maud and William the Bastard (evidence suggests he was), that means my great great great great blah blah.... grandmother, born in 1003, is..

The Countess Mortaigne Herleve Arlette Fitzcourtanneur Fitzrichard (De Falaise), Duchess of Normandy

https://www.geni.com/people/Countss-Mortaigne-Herleve-Fitzcourtanneur-Fitzrichard-Duchess-of-Normandy/6000000028341829327

And there were you the other day asking for French-ish sounding names.
  • Options
    I think today was helpful for May, ERG down to a rump of 20 and Macrons comments should worry soft remainers if they're paying attention
  • Options
    Even if May gets her deal through there’s still the matter of the WAIB .

That can be amended so could still run into trouble . One does feel though that even if Mays deal gets defeated it will be by much less than last time and so could limp on when huge pressure will be put on Tory rebels from both sides of the debate .

You can’t get a more staunch Remainer than myself but at this point I want Mays deal to go through because I don’t want a huge rupture with the EU that will sour relations for a long time .

Remainers need to fight for a softer Brexit in the transition period which could still happen . I can’t see another EU vote happening and it’s best to move on at this point.

• Options
    edited February 2019

Pulpstar said:

20 + Chope + Bone

No, up to 50 Labour rebels from Leave seats would vote for May's Deal over EUref2 which is why the shift in Corbyn's position could boost Deal prospects taking the Deal to 330 votes and a majority.

The likelier EUref2 looks the more the ERG and Labour MPs from Leave seats will be forced to vote for the Deal
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Didn't the Kings of Norway rather look down on the Dukes of Normandy for being descended from a low born viking pirate rather than from proper posh vikings tracing their lineage back to Odin as they were ?
  • Options
    rpjs said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

As my wife likes to point out, absent DNA matches, the only genealogical line you can be even reasonably confident about is the matrilineal one.

Where is my grandfather, the Bastard, buried? Caen? i may go and demand a DNA test, then claim my rightful title to England, northern France, also the Snow and the Wind?

This also explains why I have an aversion to the North. Grandpa Harried it, leaving it depopulated for centuries. So subconsciously I don't feel welcome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrying_of_the_North
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

Pulpstar said:

20 + Chope + Bone

Or 50 labour mps from leave voting areas
    I hope they have the sense to realise that the country can only come together again now if the imperfect but best we can currently hope for deal passes . If the EU do try to screw us over afterwards with the FTA then the fight starts again . You can lose a battle but still win the war
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    The Brexiteers still think they are winning

https://twitter.com/mariacaulfield/status/1100852555113000961
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

20 + Chope + Bone

Up to 50 Labour rebels from Leave seats would vote for May's Deal over EUref2 which is why the shift in Corbyn's position could boost Deal prospects taking the Deal to 330 votes and a majority.

The likelier EUref2 looks the more the ERG and Labour MPs from Leave seats will be forced to vote for the Deal
    Maybe. But a big "if" there.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

England are more hopelessly lost than a female intern in the Kennedy White House.

Bring back proper ODIs instead of these slogathons.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Can someone please tell me that the Marvelous Mrs Maisel gets a lot better (just finished episode 1...)
  • Options
    nico67 said:

That can be amended so could still run into trouble . One does feel though that even if Mays deal gets defeated it will be by much less than last time and so could limp on when huge pressure will be put on Tory rebels from both sides of the debate .

You can’t get a more staunch Remainer than myself but at this point I want Mays deal to go through because I don’t want a huge rupture with the EU that will sour relations for a long time .

Remainers need to fight for a softer Brexit in the transition period which could still happen . I can’t see another EU vote happening and it’s best to move on at this point.

May's Deal might be approved by the HoC subject to confirmation in a 2nd Ref (via amendment).
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Who are the 20 lunatics?

Lucy Allan
    John Barron
    Bob Blackman
    Bill Cash
    Rehman Chishti
    David Davies
    Philip Davies
    Richard Drax
    Philip Hollobone
    Gareth Johnson
    Esther McVey
    Nigel Mills
    Anne Marie Morris
    Tom Pursglove
    Henry Smith
    Bob Stewart
    Desmond Swayne
    Robert Syms
    Michael Tomlinson
    Martin Vickers
    https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1100850718242676736?s=20
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Didn't the Kings of Norway rather look down on the Dukes of Normandy for being descended from a low born viking pirate rather than from proper posh vikings tracing their lineage back to Odin as they were ?
    The Anglo-Saxon kingdoms nearly all traced their lineage back to Odin. As, I believe, does the Queen.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,397
    ydoethur said:

England need wickets. Unbelievably they don't have enough runs.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

Cyclefree said:

kle4 said:

I know it's him, but gotta say I think he's called this one right.
    https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1100709432596541440

If your first instinct is to defend someone accused of anti-semitism, what does that say about you? If your response to one of your MPs bullied for being Jewish is not to speak to her at all, what does that say about you?

Corbyn comes across as a deeply unpleasant and horrible person.
    He's an interesting person to contemplate as on the surface he does come across generally as personable, polite and genial. But even if you are someone who thinks he is great, for sake of argument, there is a hard edge to him at times. A little snap here, some willful blindness there, a failure to act there. It adds up.

Being as charitable as I can be, I don't doubt Corbyn would not think of himself as instinctively defending someone accused of anti-semitism. But even if we assume that I do think he takes the normal political behaviour of instinctively defending a political ally to a severe extreme.
    One of the things I distrust about Corbyn and his allies is that they espouse discourse, he did so today at PMQs, but they also say things like they wouldn’t be friends with a Tory, as if they are innately evil.
    You trying to say Tories are not innately evil
    Well everyone knows the members are innately evil but some of their voters are ok malc!
    I am a member by the way !!!!
    You hide the evil well, kudos :)
    Have you ever been to one of his barbecues? Just saying.
    Are you back to 100% fighting fit now David
    Feeling much better thanks. But no more roast lamb (or babies), much less alcohol, more exercise, weight loss and, probably, an operation to remove my gall bladder. I thought the whole upside of being a Tory was complete self indulgence. It certainly isn't the pleasure of trying to support this utterly inept government.
    Why is roast lamb bad for you? It is divine. We eat little else in Cumbria........
    The number and variety of sheep up there is amazing. I was particularly struck by the Hebrideans, which look demonic.
    We have a share in a marsh-fed lamb, which keeps our freezer well-stocked. Absolutely scrumptious!
  • Options

nico67 said:

May's Deal might be approved by the HoC subject to confirmation in a 2nd Ref (via amendment).
    Can’t see it . I think the AG will change his legal advice which will whittle down the rebels . With help from some Labour MPs there’s a chance it gets through even at the third attempt .
  • Options
    nico67 said:

I agree. Voting for TM deal would bring a huge sigh of relief across the Country and in the EU and could even be the first steps towards a friendly and cooperative future relationship
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Can someone please tell me that the Marvelous Mrs Maisel gets a lot better (just finished episode 1...)

It gets a lot better.... but it doesn't get great, It remains diverting and entertaining. A pleasant bit of fluff, worth an hour with nothing better to do.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

20 + Chope + Bone

Up to 50 Labour rebels from Leave seats would vote for May's Deal over EUref2 which is why the shift in Corbyn's position could boost Deal prospects taking the Deal to 330 votes and a majority.

Maybe. But a big "if" there.
    Well obviously as with everything Brexit at the moment but May needs to force a 'My Deal v EUref2 and maybe no Brexit at all choice' to get most of the ERG and Labour MPs in Leave seats behind her Deal.

Her 'My Deal or No Deal' choice failed as the ERG and DUP are fine with No Deal and Labour would blame it on the Tories and still not vote for the Deal
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

It gets a lot better.... but it doesn't get great, It remains diverting and entertaining. A pleasant bit of fluff, worth an hour with nothing better to do.
    tyvm I'll give it a few more episodes. Had to watch the first few episodes of the Wire with the subtitles on so will stick with this.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The Brexiteers still think they are winning

https://twitter.com/mariacaulfield/status/1100852555113000961

You know the nearer your Brexitation
    The more it's slip slidin' away
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,978
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Most white English are descended from him. Most of us are descended from Muhammed, as well.

I can trace one part of my ancestry to 1689. Lieutenant Tubman (the maiden name of my maternal grandmother) fought at the siege of Derry and the Battle of the Boyne, and got several hundred acres in South Tyrone, in reward.
  • Options
    Of course she is.

It is however worth reflecting that Labour Uncut, of all places, urged the selection of Jon Lansman as GS ahead of her precisely because of her long track record of anti-Jewish activism.

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2018/03/11/three-reasons-why-jennie-formby-should-not-become-general-secretary-of-the-labour-party/
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Most white English are descended from him. Most of us are descended from Muhammed, as well.

I can trace one part of my ancestry to 1689. Lieutenant Tubman (the maiden name of my maternal grandmother) fought at the siege of Derry and the Battle of the Boyne, and got several hundred acres in South Tyrone, in reward.
    Shouldn't you now be a DUP MP, then?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Jeez - Davis can't even work out which way to turn when he exits the chamber!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

England need wickets. Unbelievably they don't have enough runs.
    In particular, England need one wicket. But my golden touch seems to have deserted me.

The only real question now is whether Gayle gets 216 or not for a career-best.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

tyvm I'll give it a few more episodes. Had to watch the first few episodes of the Wire with the subtitles on so will stick with this.
    More to the point, how many more episodes of The Marvelous Mrs. Maysel do we have to endure?
  • Options

I think if it only goes down by the low double digits on 12 March it becomes a slam dunk for a 3rd or 4th time lucky vote at some point in the window between the start of the cricket world cup (Pak) and the champions league final (City).
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    It's very clear - 'Please please please is this enough to give hope to all the various Labour factions, large and small?'
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

nico67 said:

I suppose this is looking a likely outcome now. This will be Labour’s position, and I can't see how May has the numbers without Labour support.
  • Options
    edited February 2019

IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Cooper Letwin vote

Ayes 502

Noes 20

Yep.
    Too bad there's around 30 days and it's about 200 inches to go.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

It is a dilemma, isn't it? Normally I will give a show two, or maybe three episodes max. But
    I tried to watch Russian Doll the other day (on the personal recommendation of Robert Smithson junior). And it was so shit I have abandoned it after 1 episode. It was UTTER shit.

On the other hand, I remember Spartacus. That began quite badly, like a lurid cartoon, with an odd script, and lot of tits and blood. It was OK. Silly but fun. I decided to give it a chance.

By episode five, and after a dramatic improvement, I was hooked. By episode 23 I was stunned. A superb and compelling piece of TV art. Still one of the best (and most underrated) TV drama series EVER. AND it survived the real life death of its hero actor, and went on to greater heights. Magnificent. AND they ended it brilliantly, which is really rare. BRAVO.

Show me to wine, Crixtus.
This discussion has been closed.