Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast. May fights on – so what now?

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited December 2018

GIN1138 said:

I wonder if nadine has sent in her no confidence letter again for Dec 2019...

Fair play to her as she accepted the result and wants the party to move on
    \"Move on" to its doom? :D
    Not with Corbyn around
    Corbyn, Corbyn, Corbyn. Forget it. The next election is going to be a referendum on this awful Conservative government. Nothing else.

May once said the Tories were the "nasty party" but now she and Hammond have gone one step further and made everyone aware they are a party of "extremists" - And you expect people to actually vote Con?

Even if Corbyn is an extremist himself so what when the Tories are too? And at least Jezza offers a fresh start and a change of direction which is exactly what the country needs.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,634

Scott_P said:

John_M said:

Time to retire to the study with a glass of port and my service pistol.

Revolver, surely?
    We should all have our favourite album playing at the end.
    Coldplay or Radiohead?
    In order to reinforce the determination to end it all ?

• Options

May fights is a terrible outcome for the Tories. They continue to fight over Brexit which dominates 100% of the political agenda; they continue to be led by a lame duck leader whom no one wants to lead them in the next election because of her appalling campaigning skills and total detachment from people’s lives; rivals spend all their time jockeying for.

And the most popular politician in the Country
    That’s why she lost a 20% lead in the polls in a snap election she called and lost her.majority in the process. Who wants popularity like that.
    You are bitter and to be fair I do understand as your dream of no deal disappears into deal or remain I doubt she even thinks about popularity but even so, you cannot name another politician in this country with a higher rating among voters
    You’vewill they.
    I do not smoke and expect the deal to be put to the country in a referendum on deal or remain You really do not like her poll ratings do you
    Simply don’t believe them. A big majority of party members want her gone now according to the latest poll from CinHome and those polled would be her most loyal supporters.
    Well that is convenient. But it is not one poll it is poll after poll
    The only poll that matters is one involving voting and she doesn’t do well with the public then. You can eulogise about her if you wish but I’m bored with your sycophancy now.
    Whether you like her or not, the main point of comparison is Corbyn not anyone else in the Tories and whilst leader ratings are considered it will be against him. You are not telling me that May and her dreadful 2017 garnered record support for the Tories, it was all the sensible people voting against him.
    A lot of people voted Tory in 2017 because of Corbyn not May and aren’t going to do that again now they have seen how bad she is
    Err - how bad he really is
    Labour and Tories are neck and neck in those polls you’re so fond of so people clearly don’t agree with you
    Of course some dont agree and some do, but in view of the state of my party, labour should be out of sight
  • Options

May fights is a terrible outcome for the Tories. They continue to fight over Brexit which dominates 100% of the political agenda; they continue to be led by a lame duck leader whom no one wants to lead them in the next election because of her appalling campaigning skills and total detachment from people’s lives; rivals spend all their time jockeying for position as power and authority drains from May; Hammond continues as Chancellor solely concerned with blocking no deal preparation whilst the economy deteriorates and investment goes elsewhere and all this serves to make the most hard left and incompetent Labour leadership since Foot look half way credible.

That’s why she lost a 20% lead in the polls in a snap election she called and lost her.majority in the process. Who wants popularity like that.
    You’ve been smoking too much wacky baccy if you think May’s deal will ever see the light of day. As for her popularity, those will be the same polls that forecast a stomping majority for her at the last election will they.
    You really do not like her poll ratings do you
    Simply don’t believe them. A big majority of party members want her gone now according to the latest poll from CinHome and those polled would be her most loyal supporters.
    But it is not one poll it is poll after poll
    The only poll that matters is one involving voting and she doesn’t do well with the public then. She only won yesterday by dint of the payroll vote. You can eulogise about her if you wish but I’m bored with your sycophancy now.
    Whether you like her or not, the main point of comparison is Corbyn not anyone else in the Tories and whilst leader ratings are considered it will be against him. You are not telling me that May and her dreadful 2017 garnered record support for the Tories, it was all the sensible people voting against him.
    A lot of people voted Tory in 2017 because of Corbyn not May and aren’t going to do that again now they have seen how bad she is
    Perhaps they will. Corbyn has hardly set the world alight with his questionable views on Jews and failure to decide to agree with his supporters on Brexit
    Even with those dodgy views, Labour’s poll rating are about the same as the Tories
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Fraser Nelson on Newsnight: a growing number of cabinet ministers favour a general election in March next year.

It is going to have to come and in the new year TM should announce it and as labour would support it offf we go
  • Options

May fights is a terrible outcome for the Tories. They continue to fight over Brexit which dominates 100% of the political agenda; they continue to be led by a lame duck leader whom no one wants to lead them in the next election because of her appalling campaigning skills and total detachment from people’s lives; rivals spend all their time jockeying for.

You are bitter and to be fair I do understand as your dream of no deal disappears into deal or remain I doubt she even thinks about popularity but even so, you cannot name another politician in this country with a higher rating among voters
    You’vewill they.
    I do not smoke and expect the deal to be put to the country in a referendum on deal or remain You really do not like her poll ratings do you
    The only poll that matters is one involving voting and she doesn’t do well with the public then. You can eulogise about her if you wish but I’m bored with your sycophancy now.
    Labour and Tories are neck and neck in those polls you’re so fond of so people clearly don’t agree with you
    Of course some dont agree and some do, but in view of the state of my party, labour should be out of sight
    Any whose fault is that - May’s
  • Options
    edited December 2018

AndyJS said:

Fraser Nelson on Newsnight: a growing number of cabinet ministers favour a general election in March next year.

It is going to have to come and in the new year TM should announce it and as labour would support it offf we go
    Strong and Stable II !!!!!

Total madness! :D
  • Options

You’vewill they.
    Whether you like her or not, the main point of comparison is Corbyn not anyone else in the Tories and whilst leader ratings are considered it will be against him. You are not telling me that May and her
    Any whose fault is that - May’s
    ERG
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,956
    AndyJS said:

It'll be a disaster. Divided parties don't win elections. Labour will unite around Corbyn for "one more push", meanwhile the Conservatives will fight like ferrets in a sack. As I believe was said earlier, May will be going to the country on the Ted Heath "who governs?" ticket. And I expect she will receive a similar answer.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

The party has to rid itself of its UKIP base
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited December 2018
    AndyJS said:

Am I missing something here? We're due to leave the EU on 29 March, what exactly would an election in the same month solve? Give cover for the victor to suspend Article 50?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Not with Corbyn around
    Corbyn, Corbyn, Corbyn. Forget it. The next election is going to be a referendum on this awful Conservative government. Nothing else.

May once said the Tories were the "nasty party" but now she and Hammond have gone one step further and made everyone aware they are a party of "extremists" - And you expect people to actually vote Con?

Even if Corbyn is an extremist himself so what when the Tories are too? And at least Jezza offers a fresh start and a change of direction which is exactly what the country needs.
    We really do not need a bunch of trots in charge turning us into Venezuela.

The hard left don't like to give up power once they get it.

• Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,691
    Jonathan said:

Nicki Morgan has blossomed during Brexit.

She is a pretty good constituency MP. Toast in an election though.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    edited December 2018

John_M said:

I demand a peoples vote confirming that I was first.

Denied for failure to use an apostrophe in a People's Vote
    Peoples' vote surely.
    Er, no. It’s a plural noun.

#leavergrammar
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Am I missing something here? We're due to leave the EU on 29 March, what exactly would an election in the same month solve? Give cover for the victor to suspend Article 50?
    I would expect A50 would be postponed - the EU have already said they would
  • Options

May rebuffed by EU leaders - maximum preparation for no deal going ahead.

Well there's a surprise
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

AndyJS said:

Maybe some Tory cabinet ministers have had enough and just want to luxuriate in Opposition :D
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    edited December 2018
    EUCO have given May an even more brutal rebuff than at Salzburg.

As predicted, the draft addendum has been salami sliced till there's nothing left. I think EUCO are trying to send May a message: "WHICH PART OF THE DEAL IS FINAL DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?"

• Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Not with Corbyn around

We really do not need a bunch of trots in charge turning us into Venezuela.

The hard left don't like to give up power once they get it.

24 hour news of when Queenie sends the Armed Forces in to sort it out would be decent viewing though.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    kyf_100 said:

I do not smoke and expect the deal to be put to the country in a referendum on deal or remain

You really do not like her poll ratings do you

The only poll that matters is one involving voting and she doesn’t do well with the public then. She only won yesterday by dint of the payroll vote. You can eulogise about her if you wish but I’m bored with your sycophancy now.
    The Tories have cried wolf too many times. They called Miliband "Red Ed" then nicked a load of his policies. They told us it was a choice between a strong and stable government or a coalition of chaos, and look what we got. Now they say that Corbyn will bankrupt the country meanwhile people talk up "F**k business" Boris.

I've voted Conservative all my life and even I might consider sitting this one out - or at least I would if it weren't for the fact I do think Corbyn will be an utter disaster. But I think you're right, many people who voted Conservative in 2017 will abstain this time. It's not about people rushing off to embrace Corbyn with open arms. It's about being so demoralised at this absolute s**tshow of a government that they're not worth getting up and voting for.
    But I think that Corbyn is the motivator - do you not remember the campaign - the terrible manifesto? Two things drove voters to come out and vote Tory. Corbyn and Brexit. They might have said Red Ed in 2015 but Milliband’s problem was not his policies it was his demeanour - he didn’t look like a PM.

Now for Tory voters of all stripes what risks the economy? Brexit - yes but Corbyn could be worse. Even before being elected we have heard talk of nationalisation without payment and forced confiscation of property.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,316
    edited December 2018
    Floater said:

May rebuffed by EU leaders - maximum preparation for no deal going ahead.

Well there's a surprise
    And not the case
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

Doubt it. What's much more likely is that Remainers and Leavers are swept away in equal numbers...

For every Andrea Jenkyns losing their seat there will be an Amber Rudd...

In the the end the MP's left will still be split asunder and the membership will probably elect someone like JRM as LOTO.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Jonathan said:

Nicki Morgan has blossomed during Brexit.

From what to what?
    From Nicky to Nicki
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Another angry Brexit vicar on the BBC.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    I could see perfectly good reasons for Tory MPs to vote either for or against May yesterday - but I can't understand the people who were gullible enough to swing their votes to her on the basis of her fantasy promise to "renegotiate the backstop".
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    May's draft addendum had a paragraph on "the backstop is not a desirable outcome for the Union" and they actually removed it, and replaced it with paragraph affirming a commitment to the single market.

This addendum actually seems to WILFULLY reaffirm how much the EU really want this backstop.

EUCO are just toying with May now.
    Ugly and brutal.
  • Options
    Note to self, never watch question time.

But boy, this country is broken. Utterly broken by Brexit.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

Doubt it. What's much more likely is that Remainers and Leavers are swept away in equal numbers...

In the the end the MP's left will still be split asunder and the membership will probably elect someone like JRM as LOTO.
    It will not concern me. I will have left if they get near power
  • Options
    May has only one choice now. Fly back get outside No10 and state it is now time to accept that no deal is the only option of the table at this present time. We will do all we can to prepare.
    Sit back and see what happens. She can force nothing in EUland or in Parliament. So she just needs to sit back and see what both offer her. Let them come to her.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

May continuing is a terrible outcome for the Tories. They will continue to fight over Brexit which will dominate 100% of the political agenda; they continue to be led by a lame duck leader whom no one wants to lead them in the next election because of her appalling campaigning skills and total detachment from people’s lives; rivals will spend all their time jockeying for position as power and authority drains from May; Hammond continues as Chancellor solely concerned with blocking no deal preparation whilst the economy will continue to deteriorate and investment go elsewhere and all this will serve to make the most hard left and incompetent Labour leadership since Foot look half way credible. There is no chance of rebuilding bridges with the DUP so the Tories will probably lose a vote of no confidence and be saddled with May as leader when the next election comes.

You couldn’t make it up. What muppets Tory MPs were not to ditch May whilst they had a chance. They deserve a Corbyn Gov; the rest of us don’t.

Yep, they had their chance to get rid of May and Hammond - The Terrible Twosome - But they blew it,

They deserve everything that's coming to them.
    Sad but true.

I remember when tories actually got rid of leaders that were rather crap.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Is it any less broken that it would be now if Article 50 had been triggered the day after the referendum and we had hard Brexited straight away?
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    In Para 3 the EU rip out reassurance that Backstop is "not a desirable outcome for the Union" and add a bit on the 'integrity of the single market'.

Para 4 the add is designed to remind UK that trust cuts both ways, as does this deal.

Para 5 was controversial part even before the night began (the Irish hated it). It promised to examine whether "any further reassurance can be provided". In the final communique it was ripped out completely and replaced with a pledge to ramp up no-deal preps.

May is now in a worse position than before she started negotiating.

lol
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Is it any less broken that it would be now if Article 50 had been triggered the day after the referendum and we had hard Brexited straight away?
    Probably. It’s going to get worse before it gets better.
  • Options
    Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634

In Para 3 the EU rip out reassurance that Backstop is "not a desirable outcome for the Union" and add a bit on the 'integrity of the single market'.

Para 4 the add is designed to remind UK that trust cuts both ways, as does this deal.

Para 5 was controversial part even before the night began (the Irish hated it). It promised to examine whether "any further reassurance can be provided". In the final communique it was ripped out completely and replaced with a pledge to ramp up no-deal preps.

lol

The EU don't actually want a deal, do they?
  • Options
    Donny43 said:

lol

They think we are heading towards Remain and are doing everything they can to help us on our way.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,932
    Mrs May was not the only British politician in Brussels today - so was Vince Cable. He was meeting with fellow ALDE members who include several prime ministers, European Commissioners, and important players like the leader of Cuidanos. I suspect there is a lot of back channel work going on to sort out a way for Britain to remain in the EU.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466
    Floater said:

GIN1138 said:

May continuing is a terrible outcome for the Tories. They will continue to fight over Brexit which will dominate 100% of the political agenda; they continue to be led by a lame duck leader whom no one wants to lead them in the next election because of her appalling campaigning skills and total detachment from people’s lives; rivals will spend all their time jockeying for position as power and authority drains from May; Hammond continues as Chancellor solely concerned with blocking no deal preparation whilst the economy will continue to deteriorate and investment go elsewhere and all this will serve to make the most hard left and incompetent Labour leadership since Foot look half way credible. There is no chance of rebuilding bridges with the DUP so the Tories will probably lose a vote of no confidence and be saddled with May as leader when the next election comes.

You couldn’t make it up. What muppets Tory MPs were not to ditch May whilst they had a chance. They deserve a Corbyn Gov; the rest of us don’t.

Yep, they had their chance to get rid of May and Hammond - The Terrible Twosome - But they blew it,

They deserve everything that's coming to them.
    Sad but true.

I remember when tories actually got rid of leaders that were rather crap.
    And even ones that weren't. I mean look at Thatcher in 1990. On her worst day she was better than May.
  • Options
    Donny43 said:

lol

They want us to be forced into remain
  • Options
    Donny43 said:

lol

You know, the EU have fought and lost a lot of battles against populist insurgencies. In the case of Brexit, May is so weak and trapped, I think they've finally sensed this is one they can win.

This looks like a wilful, public and very deliberate humiliation (another one?) of May by the EU.
  • Options

Donny43 said:

lol

They think we are heading towards Remain and are doing everything they can to help us on our way.
    How on earth can we remain in an organisation that treats us this way?
  • Options

Donny43 said:

lol

And, to be fair, it's going to work.
  • Options
    slade said:

Mrs May was not the only British politician in Brussels today - so was Vince Cable. He was meeting with fellow ALDE members who include several prime ministers, European Commissioners, and important players like the leader of Cuidanos. I suspect there is a lot of back channel work going on to sort out a way for Britain to remain in the EU.

That should be Ciudadanos.
  • Options
    Donny43 said:

Donny43 said:

lol

Good question. Anyone? Anyone?
  • Options
    Donny43 said:

Donny43 said:

lol

There will be bitterness on a scale unimaginable but remain must be near certain now
  • Options
    Donny43 said:

Donny43 said:

lol

48% of the country must be masochists.
  • Options

Donny43 said:

lol

And, to be fair, it's going to work.
    Indeed it is
  • Options
    Donny43 said:

Donny43 said:

lol

A complete lack of national self-confidence. It really is embarrassing.
  • Options
    Lab hold in Haringey but big jump in Lib Dem share.
  • Options
    Mrs May's magic touch at negotiating should be enough to push the No majority against her deal > 300.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Donny43 said:

Donny43 said:

lol

I think we just have to revoke Article 50 in accordance with our national constitutional requirements.
  • Options

Donny43 said:

lol

You know, the EU have fought and lost a lot of battles against populist insurgencies. In the case of Brexit, May is so weak and trapped, I think they've finally sensed this is one they can win.

This looks like a wilful, public and very deliberate humiliation (another one?) of May by the EU.
    They can win against May. But they cannot stop Britain leaving. Therefore hanging her out to dry is the worst thing they could do. Watch us leave without a withdrawal agreement. I don't care whether that's unconscionable to British politicians and the civil service - it's gonna happen. And if unmanaged no deal is as ugly as people are making it sound, it's going to leave deep resentment between the UK and continental Europe for decades.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Donny43 said:

Donny43 said:

lol

It can only come from another referendum with a 60% plus remain vote

Expect a referendum to take place by the end of March if the HOC and HOL agree
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    I don't get the March election stuff, much though I'd welcome it. The Conservatives have Mrs May in charge for the next 12 months. In March they will either have a deal similar to the one they recently voted down, or no deal, and they'll have a leader in whom a third of the Parliamentary party have no confidence. It seems unpromising - what am I missing?
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Donny43 said:

lol

They can win against May. But they cannot stop Britain leaving. Therefore hanging her out to dry is the worst thing they could do. Watch us leave without a withdrawal agreement. I don't care whether that's unconscionable to British politicians and the civil service - it's gonna happen. And if unmanaged no deal is as ugly as people are making it sound, it's going to leave deep resentment between the UK and continental Europe for decades.
    They'll wangle it so it doesn't happen. It's always the way.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Donny43 said:

Donny43 said:

lol

I think we just have to revoke Article 50 in accordance with our national constitutional requirements.
    That thought stopped being relevant when the ref result was announced.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

Donny43 said:

lol

That's ok because the UK's future as a political entity will be measured in months, not decades.
  • Options

Mrs May's magic touch at negotiating should be enough to push the No majority against her deal > 300.

I think it may go on amendment to a referendum (hopefully)
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,133
    edited December 2018
    Is this like one of those cases when bad 'uns appeal against the harshness of a sentence and get a more severe one in the second judgment?
  • Options

Donny43 said:

lol

We are not leaving now
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2018
    This is the first article I've seen with a 2019 date on it. Interesting piece as well.

https://www.firstthings.com/article/2019/01/shame-storm
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Donny43 said:

Donny43 said:

lol

It would be the best way
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Juncker says he feels the EU is beyond helping May further, she only ever demands help from EU leaders without ever suggesting what it is she wants.

And thus ends Mrs May's great futility tour 2019
  • Options
    edited December 2018

I don't get the March election stuff, much though I'd welcome it. The Conservatives have Mrs May in charge for the next 12 months. In March they will either have a deal similar to the one they recently voted down, or no deal, and they'll have a leader in whom a third of the Parliamentary party have no confidence. It seems unpromising - what am I missing?

Indeed. What does a March election solve for the Tories? Nothing. I think Fraser Nelson and the Cabinet members he quotes have gone doolally after a long week.
  • Options

Donny43 said:

Donny43 said:

lol

A complete lack of national self-confidence. It really is embarrassing.
    But not by the people. It really is so sad, the people said we want to give you politicians more power to make our lives better and the politicians have come back with no, no we are timid and shy and want to keep blaming the EU for our mistakes, we do not want to be accountable.

Wholesale clear out needed and it will happen.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,691
    GIN1138 said:

Donny43 said:

Donny43 said:

lol

They have merely respected our red lines, as requested by us.

This defines why we are in the position that we have reached. Any harm to us is completely self inflicted and freely chosen.
  • Options

I think the most likely outcome of an early election would be a rainbow coalition with Corbyn as PM. I don't see Labour winning an overall majority at this stage.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Donny43 said:

Donny43 said:

lol

That thought stopped being relevant when the ref result was announced.
    Sorry but the ECJ ruling means the HOC can agree to revoke it and we remain on the same terms
  • Options

Donny43 said:

lol

We are not leaving now
    Yes we are my friend. The EU are virtually guaranteeing it. And kissing their fat cheque goodbye in the process.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/pmdfoster/status/1073362834560557056

oh dear. they have just made her safe for 12 months unless cabinet grow some.
  • Options

Donny43 said:

lol

We are not leaving now
    Yes we are my friend. The EU are virtually guaranteeing it. And kissing their fat cheque goodbye in the process.
    Sorry - I feel your pain but the HOC will not allow us to no deal

I do fear the anger and the divisive nature of all this but the die is cast now for remain
  • Options

Juncker says he feels the EU is beyond helping May further, she only ever demands help from EU leaders without ever suggesting what it is she wants.

I agree with Juncker - I actually quite like Juncker and think he's very sound. I can well believe Theresa has not been clear about what she supposedly wants.

He was also prepared to offer Cameron associate member status for Britain provided we respected the 4 freedoms, which would have been ideal. Cameron didn't want it and was confident he could get Britain into everything.
  • Options

He was also prepared to offer Cameron associate member status for Britain provided we respected the 4 freedoms, which would have been ideal.

That would be a Norway Plus Brexit.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    AndyJS said:

I think the most likely outcome of an early election would be a rainbow coalition with Corbyn as PM. I don't see Labour winning an overall majority at this stage.
    Yes, I agree. It seems a sensible outcome even for centrist Brexiters - they get to see if it's possible for Corbyn to get a Brexit minus the customs union red line (and hence minus backstop) without anything very left-wing getting through Parliament.

But I don't see what's in it for loyal May-supporting Cabinet members.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

I agree with Juncker - I actually quite like Juncker and think he's very sound. I can well believe Theresa has not been clear about what she supposedly wants.
    I am quite clear that nothing has changed
    My deal is the only deal available
    I am getting on with delivering Brexit
  • Options

He was also prepared to offer Cameron associate member status for Britain provided we respected the 4 freedoms, which would have been ideal.

Including free movement
  • Options

He was also prepared to offer Cameron associate member status for Britain provided we respected the 4 freedoms, which would have been ideal. Cameron didn't want it and was confident he could get Britain into everything.
    Freedom of movement is toxic in the UK. May is right to have that as a red line. It comes before 'sovereignty' for most people, which is a more nebulous concept. Cameron would still have lost the ref.
  • Options

He may yet be right. If we aren't allowed to leave now we should join everything.
  • Options
    Brexit is planetary level statecraft. It's an answer to a 21st Century question. What happens when a country as old, big and rich as the UK freaks out as it can't cope psychologically with the ' Great Exceleration ' and tries to blow up the global architecture that's kept us all alive, free, rich and safe since the end of WW2. The idea this is or *should* be easy for us is absurd. We can leave, we are leaving. But it will bloody hurt and you only ground out your 3.8% one time majority by promising free range Waitrose Unicorns. If you can't craft a majority prepared to pay the cost of leaving we won't leave. Nor should we. Human civilisation isn't built by agreived amateurs.
  • Options

Including free movement
    Pure Norway includes free movement, let alone Norway "plus".
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

They are aware that May would be the leader at that point right? As she has said she has no intention of leading them into a 2022 GE.

Maybe they have the kind of memory that makes a goldfish proud as to what happened last time she was on the stump.

• Options
    I would be tempted to ask how it's possible for the same woman to get Salzburged by the exact same people, the exact same way, twice.

But, you know, Theresa May.
  • Options

I would be tempted to ask how it's possible for the same woman to get Salzburged by the exact same people, the exact same way, twice.

https://twitter.com/JamesCrisp6/status/1073363998643503104
  • Options

Yes. And no referendum, no divisions, no nothing. But it was Cameron's ambition to tether Britain fully to the EU - as opposed to his stated ambition of delivering a form of associate membership. In so doing, he lost everything.

In a similar way, I believe that May's actions indicate she has not been trying to deliver a soft Brexit, so much as undermine Brexit. Unfortunately for her, this is likely not just not to fail, but, as is happening right now, prevent Brexit being soft at all.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Donny43 said:

Donny43 said:

lol

It would be the best way
    We can't be far off one of the sane Leavers calling for A50 revocation. Come back with a serious 10 to 15 year Canada via Norway plan to put in the Tory 2022 manifesto giving the electorate a double or even triple lock in 2027 and 2032 on whether it wants to proceed to the next stage. It's probably now the best way to save Brexit.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/JamesCrisp6/status/1073363998643503104
    https://twitter.com/ottocrat/status/1073362557484843010
  • Options

Yes. And no referendum, no divisions, no nothing. But it was Cameron's ambition to tether Britain fully to the EU - as opposed to his stated ambition of delivering a form of associate membership. In so doing, he lost everything.
    That's nonsense. There was never any question of leaving the EU without a referendum.
  • Options

Theresa May's Brexit Red Lines are like an Asimovian Robot where the ' laws ' permanently prevent success rather than harming humans.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

GIN1138 said:

Donny43 said:

Donny43 said:

lol

It would be the best way
    We can't be far off one of the sane Leavers calling for A50 revocation. Come back with a serious 10 to 15 year Canada via Norway plan to put in the Tory 2022 manifesto giving the electorate a double or even triple lock in 2027 and 2032 on whether it wants to proceed to the next stage. It's probably now the best way to save Brexit.
    If A50 is revoked now, that's it for ever. If leaving now is too difficult, how can it be easier after 10 or 20 years more integration?
  • Options
    A friend just texted me the answer for Brexit. A workable outcome that satisfies Remainers and Brexiteers alike. It was brilliant. A way out of this hell in 140 chars.

Sadly I deleted it by accident.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Jonathan said:

A friend just texted me the answer for Brexit. A workable outcome that satisfies Remainers and Brexiteers alike. It was brilliant. A way out of this hell in 140 chars.

Thank you, Monsieur de Fermat.
  • Options
    Donny43 said:

GIN1138 said:

Donny43 said:

Donny43 said:

lol

It would be the best way
    If A50 is revoked now, that's it for ever. If leaving now is too difficult, how can it be easier after 10 or 20 years more integration?
    YellowSubmarine's post is eloquent but pure fantasy, and way too complicated - and long-term - to sell to the average voter at election time.
  • Options
    Oh Juncker putting that boot in, just for good meaure.

Just because May is lying bleeding on the floor, doesn't mean Juncker's gonna stop kicking:

"Theresa May has led a courageous fight but unfortunately we are not seeing the results. There will be no renegotiation, that is clear."
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

As long as Corbyn remains Labour leader there is very unlikely to be many Tory seats lost even if Corbyn becomes PM he will likely lack a majority
  • Options
    Donny43 said:

Jonathan said:

Thank you, Monsieur de Fermat.
    Fermat's Last Unicorn.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

We'd have an election twice a year if it was up to me, although I don't think it would be very good from the long-term planning point of view.
  • Options

Oh Juncker putting that boot in, just for good meaure.

Just because May is lying bleeding on the floor, doesn't mean Juncker's gonna stop kicking:

"Theresa May has led a courageous fight but unfortunately we are not seeing the results. There will be no renegotiation, that is clear."

Is the boot black or brown?
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

EUCO have given May an even more brutal rebuff than at Salzburg.

As predicted, the draft addendum has been salami sliced till there's nothing left. I think EUCO are trying to send May a message: "WHICH PART OF THE DEAL IS FINAL DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?"

I’m unsure what the EU reasoning for this is. There is a possibility that we will be asked in the near future whether we want to change our minds and associate with the EU again, I cannot fathom why they would think this would be a good idea.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

We'd have an election twice a year if it was up to me, although I don't think it would be very good from the long-term planning point of view.
    GE or 2nd referendum?

She will need a walk in the welsh hills to make that call.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Not with Corbyn around

Corbyn of course really does mean BINO, permanent Customs Union and likely permanent Single Market too due to his reliance on the SNP which would be no more than the ERG and hardline Brexiteers deserve if they reject May's Deal
This discussion has been closed.