Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast. May fights on – so what now?

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited December 2018 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » NEW PB / Polling Matters podcast. May fights on – so what now?

On this week’s podcast, Keiran Pedley and Leo Barasi look back at events in a frantic week at Westminster. They debate whether May was right to postpone the meaningful vote, whether a change in leader would have any impact on Brexit negotiations and the prospect of another referendum breaking the parliamentary deadlock.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Ah go on, I'll be first.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Ah go on, I'll be first.

I’ll be the first to call for a judge-led inquiry.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    RobD said:

Or a vote of no confidence
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

Or a vote of no confidence
    I won’t do that as long as the AV threads keep coming :p
  • John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited December 2018
    I demand a peoples vote confirming that I was first.

On second thoughts, first in the over-55s category. #winninghere
  • SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    First.. snow i have seen in.... Goettingen...
  • John_M said:

Denied for failure to use an apostrophe in a People's Vote
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,042

John_M said:

Peoples' vote surely.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835
    FPT. Hope someone mentioned Katja Kipping the leader of Die Linke. She could seize my means of production any day.

John_M said:

What if multiple peoples were to be given the vote in this hypothetical referendum?

John_M said:

It's a fair cop guv'nor. Time to retire to the study with a glass of port and my service pistol.
    John_M said:

Time to retire to the study with a glass of port and my service pistol.

Revolver, surely?
    edited December 2018
    Scott_P said:

John_M said:

Revolver, surely?
    Everyone's a critic :). I'm not that old. Brits use Glocks nowadays.
  • I really do hate the ERG and their twins the Corbynistas

https://twitter.com/OzKaterji/status/1073338833167634432
  • Scott_P said:

John_M said:

Revolver, surely?
    We should all have our favourite album playing at the end.

https://twitter.com/ArtyBagger/status/1073336238936088576

I really do hate the ERG and their twins the Corbynistas

What a knob.
    John_M said:

Scott_P said:

John_M said:

Revolver, surely?
    And it really ought to be a library to have the proper effect. If you haven't got one, perhaps a wealthy landowning friend can oblige? ;)
  • Scott_P said:

John_M said:

Revolver, surely?
    Coldplay or Radiohead?
  • grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    OOF

John_M said:

Scott_P said:

John_M said:

Revolver, surely?
    And it really ought to be a library to have the proper effect. If you haven't got one, perhaps a wealthy landowning friend can oblige? ;)
    Well, Jacob only lives down the road from me, I'll give him a bell. Perhaps we could go together.
  • grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234

Send thoughts and prayers.
  • I really do hate the ERG and their twins the Corbynistas

Of course SpaceShipTwo is also designed to go up and down safely carrying people on board.

V2 was designed to go up and crash down with explosives on board.

Somewhat more complicated adding in landing, people etc rather than just crashing into the ground to explode on impact.
  • Scott_P said:

Hope they're rattling this on the decks when Mu pops her head round the door.

https://youtu.be/_3eC35LoF4U
  • You do all realise that former Nazis like Werner von Braun were instrumental in the Saturn V programme?
  • AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    edited December 2018
    May continuing is a terrible outcome for the Tories. They will continue to fight over Brexit which will dominate 100% of the political agenda; they continue to be led by a lame duck leader whom no one wants to lead them in the next election because of her appalling campaigning skills and total detachment from people’s lives; rivals will spend all their time jockeying for position as power and authority drains from May; Hammond continues as Chancellor solely concerned with blocking no deal preparation whilst the economy will continue to deteriorate and investment go elsewhere and all this will serve to make the most hard left and incompetent Labour leadership since Foot look half way credible. There is no chance of rebuilding bridges with the DUP so the Tories will probably lose a vote of no confidence and be saddled with May as leader when the next election comes.

You couldn’t make it up. What muppets Tory MPs were not to ditch May whilst they had a chance. They deserve a Corbyn Gov; the rest of us don’t.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,268

John_M said:

Peoples' vote surely.
    One nation, one people.

You do all realise that former Nazis like Werner von Braun were instrumental in the Saturn V programme?

I think everyone knows that Sunil.
  • OOF

63% is better than 51.9% :)

John_M said:

Peoples' vote surely.
    One nation, one people.
    Yes, I suppose so.
  • May fights is a terrible outcome for the Tories. They continue to fight over Brexit which dominates 100% of the political agenda; they continue to be led by a lame duck leader whom no one wants to lead them in the next election because of her appalling campaigning skills and total detachment from people’s lives; rivals spend all their time jockeying for position as power and authority drains from May; Hammond continues as Chancellor solely concerned with blocking no deal preparation whilst the economy deteriorates and investment goes elsewhere and all this serves to make the most hard left and incompetent Labour leadership since Foot look half way credible.

All good points, except that May not fighting on would leave all of them still valid with the added complication of running a divisive leadership campaign in the remaining few weeks.

I am sure I have seen a video somewhere of her presenting a Hogmanay special where they somehow persuaded the producers to let billy Mackenzie play Auld Lang Syne, or something similar.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,001
    edited December 2018

May fights is a terrible outcome for the Tories. They continue to fight over Brexit which dominates 100% of the political agenda; they continue to be led by a lame duck leader whom no one wants to lead them in the next election because of her appalling campaigning skills and total detachment from people’s lives; rivals spend all their time jockeying for position as power and authority drains from May; Hammond continues as Chancellor solely concerned with blocking no deal preparation whilst the economy deteriorates and investment goes elsewhere and all this serves to make the most hard left and incompetent Labour leadership since Foot look half way credible.

And the most popular politician in the Country
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911

I really do hate the ERG and their twins the Corbynistas

Of course SpaceShipTwo is also designed to go up and down safely carrying people on board.

V2 was designed to go up and crash down with explosives on board.

Somewhat more complicated adding in landing, people etc rather than just crashing into the ground to explode on impact.
    "Once the rockets go up, who cares where they come down... that's not my department says Wernher von Braun!"
    John_M said:

John_M said:

Scott_P said:

John_M said:

Revolver, surely?
    Well, Jacob only lives down the road from me, I'll give him a bell. Perhaps we could go together.
    I think you'll find his government's policies have closed down the local libraries. :disappointed:
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,733

You do all realise that former Nazis like Werner von Braun were instrumental in the Saturn V programme?

'Once they go up, who cares vere they come down?
    That's not my department,' says Werner Von Braun.
    Scott_P said:

I am sure I have seen a video somewhere of her presenting a Hogmanay special where they somehow persuaded the producers to let billy Mackenzie play Auld Lang Syne, or something similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRyt1ApyVKc
    edited December 2018

May fights is a terrible outcome for the Tories. They continue to fight over Brexit which dominates 100% of the political agenda; they continue to be led by a lame duck leader whom no one wants to lead them in the next election because of her appalling campaigning skills and total detachment from people’s lives; rivals spend all their time jockeying for position as power and authority drains from May; Hammond continues as Chancellor solely concerned with blocking no deal preparation whilst the economy deteriorates and investment goes elsewhere and all this serves to make the most hard left and incompetent Labour leadership since Foot look half way credible.

That’s why she lost a 20% lead in the polls in a snap election she called and lost her.majority in the process. Who wants popularity like that.
    edited December 2018
    @ydoethur narrowly wins the Werner von Braun quote award over @kyf_100 for his creative use of accents
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,744
    edited December 2018
    Scott_P said:

Loved The Associates/Billy M. so not sure if I'd want to see that.

Edit: actually, I like that.

lost her manority in the process.
    That sounds painful!

Loved The Associates/Billy M. so not sure if I'd want to see that.

Don't look upthread.

It's amazing though
    edited December 2018

That’s why she lost a 20% lead in the polls in a snap election she called and lost her.majority in the process. Who wants popularity like that.
    You are very bitter and to be fair I do understand as your dream of no deal disappears into deal or remain

I doubt she even thinks about popularity but even so, you cannot name another politician in this country with a higher rating among voters
  • Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634

https://youtu.be/QEJ9HrZq7Ro
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695
    edited December 2018

May continuing is a terrible outcome for the Tories. They will continue to fight over Brexit which will dominate 100% of the political agenda; they continue to be led by a lame duck leader whom no one wants to lead them in the next election because of her appalling campaigning skills and total detachment from people’s lives; rivals will spend all their time jockeying for position as power and authority drains from May; Hammond continues as Chancellor solely concerned with blocking no deal preparation whilst the economy will continue to deteriorate and investment go elsewhere and all this will serve to make the most hard left and incompetent Labour leadership since Foot look half way credible. There is no chance of rebuilding bridges with the DUP so the Tories will probably lose a vote of no confidence and be saddled with May as leader when the next election comes.

You couldn’t make it up. What muppets Tory MPs were not to ditch May whilst they had a chance. They deserve a Corbyn Gov; the rest of us don’t.

Yep, they had their chance to get rid of May and Hammond - The Terrible Twosome - But they blew it,

They deserve everything that's coming to them.
  • May fights is a terrible outcome for the Tories. They continue to fight over Brexit which dominates 100% of the political agenda; they continue to be led by a lame duck leader whom no one wants to lead them in the next election because of her appalling campaigning skills and total detachment from people’s lives; rivals spend all their time jockeying for position as power and authority drains from May; Hammond continues as Chancellor solely concerned with blocking no deal preparation whilst the economy deteriorates and investment goes elsewhere and all this serves to make the most hard left and incompetent Labour leadership since Foot look half way credible.

You are very bitter and to be fair I do understand as your dream of no deal disappears into deal or remain

I doubt she even thinks about popularity but even so, you cannot name another politician in this country with a higher rating among voters
    You’ve been smoking too much wacky baccy if you think May’s deal will ever see the light of day.

As for her popularity, those will be the same polls that forecast a stomping majority for her at the last election will they.

You’ve been smoking too much wacky baccy if you think May’s deal will ever see the light of day.

As for her popularity, those will be the same polls that forecast a stomping majority for her at the last election will they.
    I do not smoke and expect the deal to be put to the country in a referendum on deal or remain

You really do not like her poll ratings do you
  • asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    Scott_P said:

I had some English Whiskey this year from the Cotswold distillery, it's very good
  • We all mis-type sometimes:

Labour fears May will only be able to win cosmetic changes to the backstop ..

Easy mistake to make, 'fears' when you mean 'hopes'.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/dec/13/labour-plan-to-throw-kitchen-sink-to-force-may-into-brexit-vote

I had some English Whiskey this year from the Cotswold distillery, it's very good

https://twitter.com/HappyBritScot/status/1073344247196196864

Scott_P said:

No 'e' in whisky! 'Whiskey' refers to American or Irish muck. ;)
    edited December 2018

I do not smoke and expect the deal to be put to the country in a referendum on deal or remain

Simply don’t believe them. A big majority of party members want her gone now according to the latest poll from CinHome and those polled would be her most loyal supporters.
    edited December 2018

Simply don’t believe them. A big majority of party members want her gone now according to the latest poll from CinHome and those polled would be her most loyal supporters.
    Well that is convenient. But it is not one poll it is poll after poll

Conhome is the UKIP in disguise and 63% are against her

But they do not represent this member or the majority of conservative voters

I doubt ContinuityIDS/UKIPHome will be Remainer May's most loyal supporters.

They might be the ERG's most loyal supporters on the other hand.
    edited December 2018

The only poll that matters is one involving voting and she doesn’t do well with the public then. She only won yesterday by dint of the payroll vote.

You can eulogise about her if you wish but I’m bored with your sycophancy now.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    It was a clever move by whoever started the rumour about Mrs May standing down within 12 months, because I reckon that may have swung 10 or 15 votes in her favour yesterday. It turns out today it wasn't true and she's only saying she'll stand down "before the next general election".
  • NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/HappyBritScot/status/1073344247196196864
    I’ve heard good things about this

The only poll is votes and she doesn’t do well with the public then. She only won yesterday by dint of the payroll vote.

Fair enough but the HOC will prevail and it will be deal or remain or revoke

I heard that Con members in many constituency's are refusing to go out and campaign for May and the Tories now.

If that snap election does come from a VONC in the New Year who the hell is going to turn out in the rain and snow to canvass for May and Hammond? Especially since Hammond has called all of them "extremists"

Nevermind Tory voters going on strike at the next election (which they will) Tory members will be with them...

The only poll that matters is one involving voting and she doesn’t do well with the public then. She only won yesterday by dint of the payroll vote.

There is no payroll vote... it's a secret ballot.
  • I wonder if nadine has sent in her no confidence letter again for Dec 2019...

https://twitter.com/Sunil_P2/status/876894066478329857
  • AndyJS said:

It was a clever move by whoever started the rumour about Mrs May standing down within 12 months, because I reckon that may have swung 10 or 15 votes in her favour yesterday. It turns out today it wasn't true and she's only saying she'll stand down "before the next general election".

And that could be within 12 months.
  • sladeslade Posts: 1,921
    Labour hold in Harlow.
    AndyJS said:

At this point anyone who actually believe's a word Mrs May says is really just playing along with her and looking for an excuse to vote her way.

AndyJS said:

And that could be within 12 months.
    Yes but it's not the same as definitely meaning 12 months.
  • RobD said:

Indeed it is, but payroll MPs aren’t going to vote her out and risk losing their jobs and perks, so regardless of the secret ballot, the payroll vote exists.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    Scott_P said:

Fox jr gave me a bottle of Norfolk whisky. Not bad at all!

Whether you like her or not, the main point of comparison is Corbyn not anyone else in the Tories and whilst leader ratings are considered it will be against him. You are not telling me that May and her dreadful 2017 garnered record support for the Tories, it was all the sensible people voting against him.
  • I wonder if nadine has sent in her no confidence letter again for Dec 2019...

Fair play to her as she accepted the result and wants the party to move on

For May 200
    Against May 117

:innocent:
  • May fight's on, so what ? Well at least there is the karmic retribution to the Tories. The catastrophe unleashed by the Bloomberg speech, the Joffrey having Ned Stark executed of British politics, will at least consume it's author. This has always been about the Conservative Party's lycenthropy over Europe and at least this way they get what they deserve.

This needs to be buried Grimm's Fairy Take deep into the political class' psyche. " What happens if we do some thing as fundamentally stupid as give the Bloomberg speech ? " " Gammondammerung ! " They must mutter round the camp fire.

I wonder if nadine has sent in her no confidence letter again for Dec 2019...

\"Move on" to its doom? :D
  • GIN1138 said:

I wonder if nadine has sent in her no confidence letter again for Dec 2019...

\"Move on" to its doom? :D
    Not with Corbyn around
  • ...Gammondammerung ..

Bravo for that!

(Not sure the rest of the post makes much sense, but, hey, who cares?)
  • ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    RobD said:

Of course there is do you think talents like Bradley, Brokenshire, Wright, etc would be anywhere near cabinet if they did not shower May with praise every second of the day?

What's Nicola Sturgeon got to do with it?

What's Nicola Sturgeon got to do with it?
    How are her ratings v Ruth - I really do not know the answer which surprises me somewhat

You are bitter and to be fair I do understand as your dream of no deal disappears into deal or remain I doubt she even thinks about popularity but even so, you cannot name another politician in this country with a higher rating among voters
    You’ve been smoking too much wacky baccy if you think May’s deal will ever see the light of day. As for her popularity, those will be the same polls that forecast a stomping majority for her at the last election will they.

The only poll that matters is one involving voting and she doesn’t do well with the public then. She only won yesterday by dint of the payroll vote. You can eulogise about her if you wish but I’m bored with your sycophancy now.
    Whether you like her or not, the main point of comparison is Corbyn not anyone else in the Tories and whilst leader ratings are considered it will be against him. You are not telling me that May and her dreadful 2017 garnered record support for the Tories, it was all the sensible people voting against him.
    A lot of people voted Tory in 2017 because of Corbyn not May and aren’t going to do that again now they have seen how bad she is
  • Guardian journalist works overtime to put a negative spin on an improvement in school performance:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2018/dec/13/sats-test-gap-shows-disadvantaged-pupils-catching-up-with-better-off-peers

You are bitter and to be fair I do understand as your dream of no deal disappears into deal or remain I doubt she even thinks about popularity but even so, you cannot name another politician in this country with a higher rating among voters
    You’vewill they.

The only poll that matters is one involving voting and she doesn’t do well with the public then. She only won yesterday by dint of the payroll vote. You can eulogise about her if you wish but I’m bored with your sycophancy now.
    A lot of people voted Tory in 2017 because of Corbyn not May and aren’t going to do that again now they have seen how bad she is
    Err - how bad he really is
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Nicki Morgan has blossomed during Brexit.
  • Jonathan said:

Cabinet position on the horizon
  • ...Gammondammerung ..

Bravo for that!

Not original Richard, nicked it from Twitter !
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,911

The Tories have cried wolf too many times. They called Miliband "Red Ed" then nicked a load of his policies. They told us it was a choice between a strong and stable government or a coalition of chaos, and look what we got. Now they say that Corbyn will bankrupt the country meanwhile people talk up "F**k business" Boris.

I've voted Conservative all my life and even I might consider sitting this one out - or at least I would if it weren't for the fact I do think Corbyn will be an utter disaster. But I think you're right, many people who voted Conservative in 2017 will abstain this time. It's not about people rushing off to embrace Corbyn with open arms. It's about being so demoralised at this absolute s**tshow of a government that they're not worth getting up and voting for.
    Jonathan said:

From what to what?
    May rebuffed by EU leaders - maximum preparation for no deal going ahead.
  • ...Gammondammerung ..

Bravo for that!

Not original Richard, nicked it from Twitter !
    Oh, you didn't need to puncture the illusion!
    Juncker is very merry in the press conference.

You’ve been smoking too much wacky baccy if you think May’s deal will ever see the light of day. As for her popularity, those will be the same polls that forecast a stomping majority for her at the last election will they.

Perhaps they will. Corbyn has hardly set the world alight with his questionable views on Jews and failure to decide to agree with his supporters on Brexit
    Fraser Nelson on Newsnight: a growing number of cabinet ministers favour a general election in March next year.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    66+44=110

You’vewill they.
    I do not smoke and expect the deal to be put to the country in a referendum on deal or remain You really do not like her poll ratings do you
    The only poll that matters is one involving voting and she doesn’t do well with the public then. You can eulogise about her if you wish but I’m bored with your sycophancy now.
    Err - how bad he really is
    Labour and Tories are neck and neck in those polls you’re so fond of so people clearly don’t agree with you
This discussion has been closed.