Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If punters risking their cash have got this right TMay’s safe

Comments

• Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487

Let us hold a vote of no confidence, but not yet.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308

Sky say they have 158 on record voting for TM

She needs about 100 more than that to crush the ERG once and for all.
  • Options
    Surely the only meaningful promise TMay could make is "I'll resign when the WA has passed".
  • Options
    Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634
    IanB2 said:

Xenon said:

The demonisation of the ERG for trying to honour the result of the referendum is laughable.

Most of these rumours are completely made up and the usual morons are lapping it up.

In what warped mindset is opposing the agreement that enables us to leave and then trying to bring down the PM mid-process, putting the whole thing at risk, "honouring the result"??
    It doesn't put the whole thing any more at risk. If parliament wants to overturn the 2016 result it can do that anyway.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    SeanT said:

Good performance from TMay at PMQs. She's weirdly good at handling public humiliations, shame she is rubbish at everything else.

So. Final prediction: TMay will win. Nothing will change. Corbyn can’t force election. Brexit impasse will continue; her deal is still unsellable.

The only two routes lead to 1. No Deal, or 2. A new referendum

Responsible politicians - which do probably still command a majority - will never allow us to get to no deal.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,821
    So an organization dedicated to the removal of Theresa May via a vote of no confidence is unprepared for a vote of no confidence in Theresa May.

Hmph.

• Options

Surely the only meaningful promise TMay could make is "I'll resign when the WA has passed".

They need someone to take the hit for the drubbing in May’s locals.

Might as well be Theresa.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Roger said:

Andrea Jenkyns saying her colleagues are saying publically they will support the Prime Minister but telling her privately that they wont. She not content to trash her own reputation she's happy to take her party down with her.

What a piece of work! I can't remember such a sleazeball MP. Ever. If Eagle campaigned for her his judgement must have been impaired.

I have no idea why the Eagle (who in all other respects is clearly sane and moderate) campaigned for Jenkyns – who was up against Ed Balls, who commands more intelligence and talent in his left thumb than the entire Tory Right combined.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2018
    viewcode said:

So an organization dedicated to the removal of Theresa May via a vote of no confidence is unprepared for a vote of no confidence in Theresa May.

Hmph.

.. a vote which they triggered!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    This is very important. She can renegotiate a Labour-friendly deal and get it through parliament. The ERG will huff and puff, but will be impotent.
    No. The ERG could resign the whip and leave May stranded with no ability to get any legislation of any kind passed. Then they just wait for the clock to tick down to March 29th.

Remember - the ERG will get their hard Brexit if they act like complete and utter b*****ds for the next three months.

No Deal is the default
    That assumes May doesn’t do a deal with Labour to get a deal through despite their opposition. I am struggling to see the ERG staying in the party after this, particularly if May wins comfortably.
    If only people looked at our voting system and asked how it can be defended when it is the only way that the off-the-scale lunatics with jobs-for-life in safe seats that comprise the ERG can continue to pretend they represent anyone other than themselves.
  • Options
    OortOort Posts: 96

Scott_P said:
    This is very important. She can renegotiate a Labour-friendly deal and get it through parliament. The ERG will huff and puff, but will be impotent.
    No. The ERG could resign the whip and leave May stranded with no ability to get any legislation of any kind passed. Then they just wait for the clock to tick down to March 29th.

Remember - the ERG will get their hard Brexit if they act like complete and utter b*****ds for the next three months.
    I would absolutely not be surprised if the ERG decide to peel off and form an independent bloc. And take the DUP with them.
    There's a gap in the market where UKIP used to be - maybe hard to hold their Westminster seats but they're playing their cards right to get into the European Parliament...
    From my limited knowledge of the DUP - given that I understand Northern Irish politics even less than English politics - I believe that they combine social conservatism with a more Labourite attitude to public spending. It's just the sort of positioning that might go down well in very Brexity parts of the Midlands and North. Moreover, whether or not the ERG-wing became part of the DUP, or simply sided closely with them, they'd be a group that did not campaign under the Conservative banner and could be seen as having publicly rejected it. That could be an asset to them in many parts of the country.
    The DUP is first and foremost a Protestant party and the reason they oppose British membership of the EU is because they believe the EU is subject to considerable Roman Catholic influence. There seriously is no way they are going to recruit Jacob Rees-Mogg even if they do vote the same way on abortion.

• Options
    DavidL said:

given the ERG has about 70-80 odd member thats a tough order.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

No Deal is the default
    That assumes May doesn’t do a deal with Labour to get a deal through despite their opposition. I am struggling to see the ERG staying in the party after this, particularly if May wins comfortably.
    If only people looked at our voting system and asked how it can be defended when it is the only way that the off-the-scale lunatics with jobs-for-life in safe seats that comprise the ERG can continue to pretend they represent anyone other than themselves.
    Have you looked at Irish TDs?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,821

viewcode said:

Hmph.

.. which they triggered!
    :)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

viewcode said:

Hmph.

.. which they triggered!
    Owen Patterson's letter pushed the numbers over the top I reckon.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Hmph.

Are you really surprised? And was she supposed to go the the Head of States meeting tomorrow not knowing if she was one? How exactly would that have been in the national interest?
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Public declarations in a secret ballot are a complete waste of time.

There is 100% room for plausible deniability.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    DavidL said:

Indeed, if they really think only 158 will vote for her, then she loses.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    SeanT said:

Clever move by TMay to suggest she will resign before the election. She's going to win this at a canter.

I do hope this comment ages well.

Must have read PB.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    SeanT said:

Clever move by TMay to suggest she will resign before the election.

Not sure how it helps her if MP's think there could be a VONC and a general election in the New Year?

Depends how many of them think this Parliament can run beyond 2020 and how many think it could all collapse at any moment?
  • Options

DavidL said:

given the ERG has about 70-80 odd member thats a tough order.
    I don’t think so. I don’t think all ERG members will vote against her. OTOH some non members might. My current guess, FWIW, is that there will be under 70 against.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,955
    edited December 2018

Scott_P said:

I would absolutely not be surprised if the ERG decide to peel off and form an independent bloc. And take the DUP with them.
    There's a gap in the market where UKIP used to be - maybe hard to hold their Westminster seats but they're playing their cards right to get into the European Parliament...
    From my limited knowledge of the DUP - given that I understand Northern Irish politics even less than English politics - I believe that they combine social conservatism with a more Labourite attitude to public spending. It's just the sort of positioning that might go down well in very Brexity parts of the Midlands and North. Moreover, whether or not the ERG-wing became part of the DUP, or simply sided closely with them, they'd be a group that did not campaign under the Conservative banner and could be seen as having publicly rejected it. That could be an asset to them in many parts of the country.

Now, imagine that we end up with Remain or BINO at the end of all this. We have already seen, courtesy of the SNP, how well a party armed with arguments about national sovereignty and a sense of grievance can do. What if they can manage to win ten or fifteen seats in Parliament? With their friends in Northern Ireland they'd then have over 20, easily the fourth party in the Commons - and their presence would make it even harder for either Labour or the Tories to win a General Election outright.

Anyway, I know, getting fourteen steps ahead of myself. Just throwing a thought out there.
    I think you're half right. Right in the sense that on Monday we learned 24% would feel "betrayed" if we remain (betrayed + disappointed + angry combined a whopping 38%) and that could easily lead to an English SNP-style party with a grievance getting twenty odd seats in Parliament.

However if you think Rees Mogg's band of merry men will be welcomed with open arms in the very Brexity parts of the Midlands and the North because they are "not Conservatives" I have a bridge to sell you!

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    viewcode said:

Hmph.

Don't cross the ERG! They've asked for The head of the PM The Governor of the Bank of England and now Chairman of the 1922 committee all in one morning. It makes Madame Defarge look like an old softie
  • Options
    SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

Not sure how it helps her if MP's think there could be a VONC and a general election in the New Year?

Depends how many of them think this Parliament can run beyond 2020 and how many think it could all collapse at any moment?
    I see no reason why the government shouldn't last until 2022 (but who knows). Whatever they say, the DUP won't risk Corbyn who: 1. wants a united Ireland, and 2. has no more power to get rid of the backstop than TMay, and is much less inclined to try
    A permanent CU removes the need for the backstop doesn't it? That's Labour's policy.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

No Deal is the default
    Votes for party led by Nigel Farage in 2014 European Parliament election: 4,376,635.

I dare say the ERG-wing, regardless of how much contempt a great many people hold it in, does represent a non-negligible segment of opinion in the country. It is very hard to gauge where public opinion would be if we had PR for Westminster - because an awful lot of voters would, presumably, be able to pick their favourite party at long last, rather than choose whichever one with a chance of winning in their constituency that they least disliked. But I strongly suspect that a group of people like the ERG would do quite well in a General Election held under such circumstances.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Clever move by TMay to suggest she will resign before the election. She's going to win this at a canter.

One of yours must, sooner or later ;)
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    Anazina said:

SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

I see no reason why the government shouldn't last until 2022 (but who knows). Whatever they say, the DUP won't risk Corbyn who: 1. wants a united Ireland, and 2. has no more power to get rid of the backstop than TMay, and is much less inclined to try
    A permanent CU removes the need for the backstop doesn't it? That's Labour's policy.
    No, it doesnt.

Because a permanent CU can't be agreed until after we'e left the EU.

• Options

They need someone to take the hit for the drubbing in May’s locals.

Might as well be Theresa.
    The same argument could easily be projected forwards...
  • Options
    Anazina said:

SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

A permanent CU can't be agreed during the A50 negotiations. A permanent anything can't (except for the backstop, which only might be permanent).
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

No, it doesnt.

Because a permanent CU can't be agreed until after we'e left the EU.

A permanent CU could *be* the backstop, so that the future partnership was a lot less significant a build than now.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited December 2018
    *** Betting Post ***

Interesting to compare the odds on May losing tonight's vote with the odds on her departure date as leader. They keep shifting, obviously, but as I write you can back at 8.0 or a bit more on her losing, and lay 2018 departure at around 6.2. That's a disparity, surely? If she wins tonight, it's very unlikely that she'll resign with immediate effect (even if she announces her resignation immediately), whereas conversely if she loses tonight, it's quite likely that she'll not actually cease to be leader until mid-Jan or even later.

DYOR etc, but I've backed her to lose the vote and laid 2018. I expect her to win the vote, but if so I expect the pair of bets to be neutral, whereas if she loses the vote I'm guaranteed a profit and might win both sides of the pair.
  • Options
    We are watching Jacob and his fellow Ergonauts trashing their credibility by making the wrong decision at every turn.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited December 2018
    SeanT said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

That's worse for the DUP. It means Norn Ireland will FOREVER be locked into a differing regime from Great Britain, with a regulatory border down the Irish Sea, and slowly diverging - towards a United Ireland.
    A permanent CU which both NI and GB are in

Edit: With the EU obviously.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    SeanT said:

Suggests she's panicking at the numbers.

Toast by 9.15
  • Options
    Best trade right now is buying £/$. It is already rising through the day and should spurt tomorrow when May is secure. If the reverse happens, it can't have much further to fall.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

That's worse for the DUP. It means Norn Ireland will FOREVER be locked into a differing regime from Great Britain, with a regulatory border down the Irish Sea, and slowly diverging - towards a United Ireland.

Still, without SM access as well, a regulatory border emerges in the Irish Sea (which is a potential issue with the backstop, but at least that's not intended to be permanent).
  • Options

*** Betting Post ***

Interesting to compare the odds on May losing tonight's vote with the odds on her departure date as leader. They keep shifting, obviously, but as I write you can back at 8.0 or a bit more on her losing, and lay 2018 departure at around 6.2. That's a disparity, surely? If she wins tonight, it's very unlikely that she'll resign with immediate effect (even if she announces her resignation immediately), whereas conversely if she loses tonight, it's quite likely that she'll not actually cease to be leader until mid-Jan or even later.

DYOR etc, but I've backed her to lose the vote and laid 2018. I expect her to win the vote, but if so I expect the pair of bets to be neutral, whereas if she loses the vote I'm guaranteed a profit and might win both sides of the pair.

Just put your money where your mouth is and back her to win. A much better return.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Best trade right now is buying £/$. It is already rising through the day and should spurt tomorrow when May is secure. If the reverse happens, it can't have much further to fall.

Hmm, not so sure about the second part of that, certainly in the short term.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

In the very short term, you can take profits at 8.59 pm after a long series of MPs have pledged loyalty to Mrs M but before the result is announced.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    Roger said:

viewcode said:

Hmph.

Don't cross the ERG! They've asked for The head of the PM The Governor of the Bank of England and now Chairman of the 1922 committee all in one morning. It makes Madame Defarge look like an old softie
    The ERG are insane idiots. The Tories badly need their Kinnock 1985 Militant speech moment.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

viewcode said:

Hmph.

The ERG are insane idiots. The Tories badly need their Kinnock 1985 Militant speech moment.
    Given by whom?
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited December 2018
    Ramping so that when she wins with ease it will be Mrs May "hugely strengthened" etc, and insulated from harm for another year (potentially).
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

In the very short term, you can take profits at 8.59 pm after a long series of MPs have pledged loyalty to Mrs M but before the result is announced.
    The trouble with that is that the markets have already discounted her victory, and in any case the £/$ rate depends a lot on other factors as well.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

The trouble with that is that the markets have already discounted her victory, and in any case the £/$ rate depends a lot on other factors as well.
    Not today it doesn't.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    SeanT said:

Corbyn says he doesn't want to be in the Single Market, just "enjoy all the benefits".

.... which is only possible by being in the SM.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Roger said:

viewcode said:

Hmph.

Given by whom?
    God knows! They're woefully short of talent and courage.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    SeanT said:

That's how I understand it. But maybe I am wrong. Brexit is turning into Quantum Mechanics: if you think you understand it, you don't understand it
    (copyright: R Feynman)

Corbyn's position has never made any sense, but fortunately for him, it's never had to. Labour are trying very hard to make sure their internal contradictions are never exposed to the unflattering fluorescent lamp of political reality that has done for May's deal.
  • Options
    DanSmith said:
    Well over 100 MPs voting against her with the certainty her Brexit deal will be defeated should be enough to force her out. She’ll gift power to Labour if she stays after that because if she stays, the DUP will vote with Labour in a no confidence vote that would surely follow.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797
    I'd dispute the view that public declarations in a secret ballot are a waste of time or similar. They let us know how many people are truly shameless even though we don't knows which ones.
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    edited December 2018
    SeanT said:

Bercow made similar pledges as Speaker and look how that turned out. Unless she gives a specific date, no one will believe her and if she gives a specific date power will drain from her almost immediately as the jockeying to succeed her starts.

It simply shows she can’t carry on and shouldn’t - whether she wins tonight or not.

• Options

SeanT said:

That's how I understand it. But maybe I am wrong. Brexit is turning into Quantum Mechanics: if you think you understand it, you don't understand it

Corbyn's position has never made any sense, but fortunately for him, it's never had to. Labour are trying very hard to make sure their internal contradictions are never exposed to the unflattering fluorescent lamp of political reality that has done for May's deal.
    Corbyn is the surfer waiting to ride the wave of discontent but not knowing which way the wind is blowing.
  • Options
    It's truly remarkable how much entirely ineffective displacement activity one well-hung Parliament can put its mind to when there's a constitutional crisis looming.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited December 2018

Well over 100 MPs voting against her with the certainty her Brexit deal will be defeated should be enough to force her out.

Seems a good chance it'll nudge over 100, but not too much more. Maybe 210-105 or thereabouts?

To make her think of resigning will surely need quite a bit more.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840

SeanT said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

Still, without SM access as well, a regulatory border emerges in the Irish Sea (which is a potential issue with the backstop, but at least that's not intended to be permanent).
    Labour would go further than Tories (greater integration) so as to try to stay in the SM in all but name. Probably in exchange if necessary some kind of fudge on FOM.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Just landed. I take it I haven’t missed much in the last 12 hours... :smiley:
  • Options
    Nadine Dorries on politics live slagging off Mrs M's approach to Brexit then commending Amber Rudd for next leader - how does that make sense?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    When Andrea Jenkins turned over Ed Balls in 2015, I could hardly have been happier. Having listened to her on TWAO today, I do hope the voters of Morley and Outwood turf her out at the first available opportunity. Someone posted on here this a.m that she was a " a piece of work" How right they are!. Come back Ed Balls, all is forgiven
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    How can the ERG need time to prepare for the VONC?

It's not like anyone has got to write a 100 page report or something.

Every MP has had plenty of time to consider whether they support May or not. Nobody needs longer to think about it.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Has worked so far! Starmer has done well.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Indeed. And they are quite brazen.

On the telly just now Andrew Neil asked some horrible commie Labour c8nt to spell out Labour's position on any of this: Single Market, CU, etc - and explain the contradictions.

The guy simply ignored him. Refused to answer, and talked about something else.

Eventually this stance is going to be exposed to the ridicule it deserves, and Labour will HAVE to come up with a coherent position. Who knows when.
    Possibly not though: if the Tories eventually settle on a referendum on remain vs May's deal as the only way out of the dark (plausible), Labour will be spared the humiliation of having to present their "jobs first Brexit" to the EU27 to be ceremonially debagged and radished by Monsieur Barnier. Lucky bastards.

• Options

When Andrea Jenkins turned over Ed Balls in 2015, I could hardly have been happier. Having listened to her on TWAO today, I do hope the voters of Morley and Outwood turf her out at the first available opportunity. Someone posted on here this a.m that she was a " a piece of work" How right they are!. Come back Ed Balls, all is forgiven

Ed Balls has improved immeasurably whilst out of the Commons. Pretty high risk of him reverting to type.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Every MP has had plenty of time to consider whether they support May or not. Nobody needs longer to think about it.

Indeed. I don't support them but I support their calling for this vote and moaning about timing is weak.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MikeL said:

Indeed. I don't support them but I support their calling for this vote and moaning about timing is weak.
    Getting their excuses in early I think.

(I am green both ways)
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    IanB2 said:

Nadine Dorries on politics live slagging off Mrs M's approach to Brexit then commending Amber Rudd for next leader - how does that make sense?

Hence "Mad Nad".
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864

DanSmith said:
    Well over 100 MPs voting against her with the certainty her Brexit deal will be defeated should be enough to force her out. She’ll gift power to Labour if she stays after that because if she stays, the DUP will vote with Labour in a no confidence vote that would surely follow.
    Seriously, she'll be happy knowing 150 of her Parliamentary party haven't supported her. No doubt we'll hear the usual suspects claim how dogged and determined May is and how much we should admire it - a limpet is much the same.

The No Confidence Vote isn't of course the end of it as it wasn't with Thatcher in 1990. She won the first round but it was the realisation she wouldn't win the second that did for her. Her Ministers argued they had done their duty voting for her once and didn't feel obliged to support her again.

If May scrapes home the question is whether the Cabinet will simply round on her and tell her to go with dignity now or face mass resignations which will finish her off.

Nothing that happens today will change the fundamental dilemma facing the Government - if they don't pass the WA we are heading for No Deal on 29/3/19 but if they do the Opposition (with the DUP) have the numbers to bring the Government down.
  • Options
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/trade-wiped-out-if-britain-leaves-with-no-deal-study-warns-x2m5l6jsn\

I expect this to be mocked as Brexit fever or some such. Still, if those doing so have a detailed counter analysis no doubt they will share it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Well soon we might be having a leadership election conducted under quasi AV.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MikeL said:

Are any ERG MPs out of the country, perhaps negotiating FTAs with Barbados or the Seychelles?
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    edited December 2018
    Andrew said:

Well over 100 MPs voting against her with the certainty her Brexit deal will be defeated should be enough to force her out.

Seems a good chance it'll nudge over 100, but not too much more. Maybe 210-105 or thereabouts?

To make her think of resigning will surely need quite a bit more.
    If she stays after say 100 of her MPs show no confidence in her, how does that scenario play out when her Brexit Bill is defeated. The DUP side with Labour in a no confidence vote, Brexit is cancelled, there is a general election with May again leading the Tories and Corbyn ends up in power. The Tories who allowed that to happen would be turkey’s voting for Christmas.

I don’t see it happening myself. She’ll be forced out by those on her own side.
  • Options

Labour will be spared the humiliation of having to present their "jobs first Brexit" to the EU27 to be ceremonially debagged and radished by Monsieur Barnier. Lucky bastards.

Radished? Dare I ask? I dare.

What is that?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Labour will be spared the humiliation of having to present their "jobs first Brexit" to the EU27 to be ceremonially debagged and radished by Monsieur Barnier. Lucky bastards.

What is that?
    Yes, they pull your breeches down and push a large radish right up your-
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited December 2018
    IanB2 said:

I thought Nadine was firmly in Boris camp? :D
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

RobD said:

Well soon we might be having a leadership election conducted under quasi AV.
    Not by the looks of the declared numbers, unless she resigns anyway.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Might I suggest that "preparation" doesn't seem to be the Brexiters' strong point?
    So not happy that Brady has followed the rules requiring him to hold the vote "as soon as possible in the circumstances prevailing". Idiots.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    stodge said:

DanSmith said:
    Seriously, she'll be happy knowing 150 of her Parliamentary party haven't supported her. No doubt we'll hear the usual suspects claim how dogged and determined May is and how much we should admire it - a limpet is much the same.

The No Confidence Vote isn't of course the end of it as it wasn't with Thatcher in 1990. She won the first round but it was the realisation she wouldn't win the second that did for her. Her Ministers argued they had done their duty voting for her once and didn't feel obliged to support her again.

If May scrapes home the question is whether the Cabinet will simply round on her and tell her to go with dignity now or face mass resignations which will finish her off.

Nothing that happens today will change the fundamental dilemma facing the Government - if they don't pass the WA we are heading for No Deal on 29/3/19 but if they do the Opposition (with the DUP) have the numbers to bring the Government down.
    Certainly the idea that she can scrape through by a handful of votes and then just carry on as before is wide of the mark. A PM who has the confidence of less than a third of the Commons is in an impossible position.
  • Options

Anorak said:

What is that?
    Yes, they pull your breeches down and push a large radish right up your-
    Ouch.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    The ERG have fucked up every opportunity to advance their cause.

Their serial arrogance and incompetence is also indicative of the ideology they support of course.
  • Options
    It seems like I have got this wrong and May is expected to walk it - but what I cannot understand really is whether Ken Clarke's position from PMQ's applies to all Conservative remain-leaning MPs. I guess if I was a remain inclined MP whose constituents voted leave I might vote to boot May out tonight in the privacy of the ballot and the hope that it would throw all the pieces of the Brexit jigsaw up in the air looking for a cancellation; Do contributors on here expect remainers to pretty solidly back May tonight?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    HYUFD said:

May has just reached the 158 MPs she needs to stay Tory leader and win the VONC according to BBC news research of public declarations of support with 33 Tory MPs declaring they will vote against her.

Though of course in the privacy of the ballot booth nothing is guaranteed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46535739

It probably means that about 20 of them will vote for her.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The ERG have fucked up every opportunity to advance their cause.

Their serial arrogance and incompetence is also indicative of the ideology they support of course.

Have they though? Their cause is impotent obstructionism.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Certainly the idea that she can scrape through by a handful of votes and then just carry on as before is wide of the mark. A PM who has the confidence of less than a third of the Commons is in an impossible position.

52:48 is all she needs to tell the losers to suck it up
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    There doesn't seem to be anything the ERG can do that doesn't have the opposite effect.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Nadine Dorries is an awful person.

At least I've never helped her win her seat.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Indeed. And they are quite brazen.

On the telly just now Andrew Neil asked some horrible commie Labour c8nt to spell out Labour's position on any of this: Single Market, CU, etc - and explain the contradictions.

The guy simply ignored him. Refused to answer, and talked about something else.

Eventually this stance is going to be exposed to the ridicule it deserves, and Labour will HAVE to come up with a coherent position. Who knows when.
    Labour's position really does not matter until the next election. Until then, it is enough to rail against "this Tory Brexit" which "fails our six tests". It is one small consolation for the impotence of opposition.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Twitter seems a pretty unreliable guide to any sort of election - nevermind one of 300 MPs.

• Options

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Scott_P said:

No Deal is the default
    Have you looked at Irish TDs?
    I'm a big fan of STV, but Irish TDs are not the best advert for it. I think it more accurately reflects the will of the voters - but that doesn't mean I will like the will of the voters.

Anyhow, with a strong 1/4, or more, of the electorate supporting no deal there aren't many voting systems that wouldn't give seats to ERG-like MPs. Many would probably give them more seats.
  • Options
    It is lose lose for may really. The numbers just aren't there for a deal and no party challenge for 12 months doesn't stop utter deadlock. And it isn't necessary to moan like a fool about 'usual suspects' (making ones self a usual suspect at the same time only in reverse) but whatever her qualities she's no stronger from this unless she wins and the defeated announce they are duty bound to back her deal now. And that isnt happening.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    Scott_P said:
    This. Disgraceful incompetence all round.
This discussion has been closed.