Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If punters risking their cash have got this right TMay’s safe

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797

Scott_P said:
    This. Disgraceful incompetence all round.
    We get what we deserve.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    I still can't believe May is trying blackmail her deal through Parliament under the threat of 'No Deal'. History will not be kind.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Donny43 said:

When Andrea Jenkins turned over Ed Balls in 2015, I could hardly have been happier. Having listened to her on TWAO today, I do hope the voters of Morley and Outwood turf her out at the first available opportunity. Someone posted on here this a.m that she was a " a piece of work" How right they are!. Come back Ed Balls, all is forgiven

Ed Balls has improved immeasurably whilst out of the Commons. Pretty high risk of him reverting to type.
    Perhaps. Steve Jobs famously was a much better leader after his enforced sojourn away from Apple.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    I loved one comment. "If you changed water into wine for these people, they'd complain about the vintage."
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    SeanT said:

Hmm. How does TMay keep the DUP on board? Perhaps she could pass some legislation, to the effect that, should the backstop be imposed by the EU, and the UK fail in its attempts to have it lifted, then the UK will unilaterally abrogate the WA (or whatever we have agreed at that moment), and walk back to No Deal and WTO.

No way on this planet that gets through the house. Tory remainers and moderates (Everyone to the left of Soames) + Oppo will sink it.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The ERG have fucked up every opportunity to advance their cause.

Their serial arrogance and incompetence is also indicative of the ideology they support of course.

I don't know. We are on track for no deal Brexit. The deal is dead. Attempts to resuscitate the deal are currently in stasis because of the leadership vote of no confidence. Time continues to drift away.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    <
    Scott_P said:
    Corbyn would walk a confidence vote in the Labour party now.
  • Options
    AnazinaAnazina Posts: 3,487
    SeanT said:

Anazina said:

SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

Clever move by TMay to suggest she will resign before the election.

Not sure how it helps her if MP's think there could be a VONC and a general election in the New Year?

Depends how many of them think this Parliament can run beyond 2020 and how many think it could all collapse at any moment?
    I see no reason why the government shouldn't last until 2022 (but who knows). Whatever they say, the DUP won't risk Corbyn who: 1. wants a united Ireland, and 2. has no more power to get rid of the backstop than TMay, and is much less inclined to try
    A permanent CU removes the need for the backstop doesn't it? That's Labour's policy.
    That's worse for the DUP. It means Norn Ireland will FOREVER be locked into a differing regime from Great Britain, with a regulatory border down the Irish Sea, and slowly diverging - towards a United Ireland.
    Eh? Why, under that plan all of GB, NI and ROI would be in the Customs Union...
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Nadine Dorries is an awful person.

At least I've never helped her win her seat.
    I've always rather liked her on the occasions I've met her.

But, I disagree with her.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Donny43 said:

When Andrea Jenkins turned over Ed Balls in 2015, I could hardly have been happier. Having listened to her on TWAO today, I do hope the voters of Morley and Outwood turf her out at the first available opportunity. Someone posted on here this a.m that she was a " a piece of work" How right they are!. Come back Ed Balls, all is forgiven

Ed Balls has improved immeasurably whilst out of the Commons. Pretty high risk of him reverting to type.
    Perhaps. Steve Jobs famously was a much better leader after his enforced sojourn away from Apple.
    I think preferring Ed Balls to Andrea Jenkins shows what (a piece of work)" Jenkins really is.
  • Options

<

Scott_P said:
    Doubt it. He's useless and it's plain to see.
  • Options
    Yes but when?

Without a date carved in stone, a vague promise to go is useless. Ask Gordon Brown about Blair's retirement. There will always be some new domestic or international crisis which means the Prime Minister must remain just a few more weeks.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

Hmm. How does TMay keep the DUP on board? Perhaps she could pass some legislation, to the effect that, should the backstop be imposed by the EU, and the UK fail in its attempts to have it lifted, then the UK will unilaterally abrogate the WA (or whatever we have agreed at that moment), and walk back to No Deal and WTO.

No way on this planet that gets through the house. Tory remainers and moderates (Everyone to the left of Soames) + Oppo will sink it.
    The EU would take it as a sign of bad faith too.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

The ERG have fucked up every opportunity to advance their cause.

Their serial arrogance and incompetence is also indicative of the ideology they support of course.

I don't know. We are on track for no deal Brexit. The deal is dead. Attempts to resuscitate the deal are currently in stasis because of the leadership vote of no confidence. Time continues to drift away.
    Their ideology is anarchism.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    That's putting rather a positive spin on things.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    SeanT said:

I'm clearly not Erskine May, is this even possible?
    As long as Theresa May can't get the Deal through Parliament the issue is moot. There's no compelling reason for Arlene Foster NOT to keep propping her up.

More likely the meeting was just like those that May had the other day with Merkel and the other European leaders. Useless pleading to others to shift their positions to accommodate her, which results in no movement whatsoever.

The Tories can keep the DUP on side for as long as they fail to pass the Backstop. The momnt they get the Backstop through, they lose the DUP.

Brexit physics 101: Theresa May's deal and her majority can't occupy the same space at the same time.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

<

Scott_P said:
    The Labour MPs want power and want to remove the government. Being plainly useless to centrists isn't as important as winning votes and seats.

• Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    SeanT said:

I'm clearly not Erskine May, is this even possible?
    No. Our MPs need to accept that this is a political question. There is no elegant legal magic that can solve the problem.

After the European Council, May should announce that she will bring the Deal to the House of Commons on 21st January. Another month of building panic will help her cause.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited December 2018

Yes but when?

Without a date carved in stone, a vague promise to go is useless. Ask Gordon Brown about Blair's retirement. There will always be some new domestic or international crisis which means the Prime Minister must remain just a few more weeks.
    Yes, but this time there is only one crisis and that crisis is Brexit. It should be fairly evident when it's over, if it is in fact an actual crisis.

• Options

<

Scott_P said:
    The Labour MPs want power and want to remove the government. Being plainly useless to centrists isn't as important as winning votes and seats.

It is when the centre is where those votes and seats come from. There is no more left to squeeze. Labour is letting down their existing coalition with Corbyn's Brexit stance.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, my fellow Punterians.

Given that what usually seems to happen is whatever's most awkward, I'm predicting May to win by 2 votes.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    This. Disgraceful incompetence all round.
    I suppose it does have a certain symmetry to it all! It doesn't do a lot to restore the publics' faith in our political "leaders"
  • Options
    Meanwhile, another day, another example of the Kafkaesque hell created over many years by many Home Secretaries at the Home Office.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/dec/12/home-office-disabled-children-leave-country
  • Options

Yes but when?

Problem is, she can't give a date. However difficult her position is now, the moment she says "I am going on date X" she becomes like an American President at the fag end of their second term. The leadership contest breaks out into the open, and any limited authority she still has is reduced to almost nothing.

That's even assuming these rumours were true - they might very well not be, she might be wanting to keep going on to the next election for all we know - and that anybody would trust her word if she gave such an assurance anyway, which most people would not.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    SeanT said:

This seems quite plausible to me. The ERG fail and we end up with quasi-Norway.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/12/how-the-brexiteer-rebels-gamble-could-backfire/

At lot depends on how the DUP react to May surviving a VONC. The DUP could countenance a Norway+ model I suspect, since it keeps NI and rUK in the customs union, there's no need for a backstop, and NI and rUK in the single market which obviates any regulatory border in the Irish sea.

The people I find harder to imagine countenancing a pivot to Norway is the EU.
  • Options

Given that what usually seems to happen is whatever's most awkward, I'm predicting May to win by 2 votes.

I'm still sticking with @YellowSubmarine's 52%-48% in favour of May. Make it hard for the Brexiteers to argue that her victory wasn't decisive enough.

In MP numbers that would be 164-151 if there are no abstentions (does May get a vote?)
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    SeanT said:

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2018/12/how-the-brexiteer-rebels-gamble-could-backfire/

Utterly implausible. The EU has more important things to do than negotiate with an ungovernable country. Brexit is not dining a la carte. The choices are deal, no deal or revoke.

Our MPs, the media and the country need to get that into their heads.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

Mrs May to win by 52% to 48%. ERG refuse to accept the result.

*innocent face*
  • Options

Mrs May to win by 52% to 48%. ERG refuse to accept the result.

*innocent face*
    And the 52% claim it's a mandate for dictatorship
  • Options
    edited December 2018

<

Scott_P said:

It is when the centre is where those votes and seats come from. There is no more left to squeeze. Labour is letting down their existing coalition with Corbyn's Brexit stance.
    No it is the left where these seats and votes come from. Corbyn brought Labour back. The Greens were taking Labours younger voters. UKIP were creeping up on our working class voters. Labour had already been shown what more of the same was going to lead to with the wipeout in Scotland by the SNP.

Labour were in a terrible position, they need 2 elections to have a chance of power. They needed SNP to somehow disappear so their seats come back into play to have any chance of a majority. They needed the Greens to stop taking their young voters as well UKIP to stop taking the working class ones.

Corbyn pulled off a minor miracle.

The people who think Labour would magically hold onto all these voters if they went back to the failed centrist route and just add the centrists who do want the centrists are being very silly. There is no logical reason to make the assumption. It is based on what you want to be true.
  • Options
    I assume Laing gets a vote but Bercow does not ?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    SeanT said:

She will stay on if she wins by 1 vote. By now we should all know that is her style, her (very mild) autism makes her oddly resilient to animosity and contempt: she doesn't see it, and/or doesn't care. Anyone else would have resigned after that appalling General Election result.

She's decided that Brexiting is her job, and she's damn well going to do it. Then she will retire.

I'm sure if her victory is narrow she will stride out and claim she will carry on.

Reality will hit by tomorrow though.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I assume Laing gets a vote but Bercow does not ?

Correct.
  • Options

SeanT said:

At lot depends on how the DUP react to May surviving a VONC. The DUP could countenance a Norway+ model I suspect, since it keeps NI and rUK in the customs union, there's no need for a backstop, and NI and rUK in the single market which obviates any regulatory border in the Irish sea.

Write out 48 times:
    "The Withdrawal Agreement is not the Future Trade Agreement."
  • Options

SeanT said:

Write out 48 times:
    "The Withdrawal Agreement is not the Future Trade Agreement."
    & "No deal means no transition period"
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

Utterly implausible. The EU has more important things to do than negotiate with an ungovernable country. Brexit is not dining a la carte. The choices are deal, no deal or revoke.

Nah. The EU would VERY happily welcome us back into the Single Market, as well.

A50 would be delayed for a few weeks, it would need quick negotiation, but it could be done easily: as it is status quo ante.

We will still be in the Single Market with the Withdrawal Agreement, which has already been agreed.

It would not be quick in any sense to agree something different. You would need to get Agreement from all the EFTA states. Single Market + Customs Union is not compatible with EFTA as is. It would need to be ratified by the European Parliament. None of this is instant.

People really need to stop thinking that other countries give two s***s about Parliament’s inability to take a decision.
  • Options
    XenonXenon Posts: 471
    What advantages does Norway+ have over remaining in the EU?

Can we sign trade deals with other countries? Control our borders?
  • Options
    Obviously, it's in nobody's interests to say you're knifing your leader, just in case they win. So you publicly express support, and then do the dirty under cover of a secret ballot.

Presumably a not-insignificant chunk of those publicly professing support will not actually do so. Whereas I suspect almost all of those not expressing support will be almost uniformly against her.

So yes. It makes sense to assume the rebellion will be bigger than the BBC's May groupies are briefing.
  • Options
    Xenon said:

No, and yes.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Been out for a few hours. Has the PM resigned yet?
  • Options

<

Scott_P said:

No it is the left where these seats and votes come from. Corbyn brought Labour back. The Greens were taking Labours younger voters. UKIP were creeping up on our working class voters. Labour had already been shown what more of the same was going to lead to with the wipeout in Scotland by the SNP.

Labour were in a terrible position, they need 2 elections to have a chance of power. They needed SNP to somehow disappear so their seats come back into play to have any chance of a majority. They needed the Greens to stop taking their young voters as well UKIP to stop taking the working class ones.

The people who think Labour would magically hold onto all these voters if they went back to the failed centrist route and just add the centrists who do want the centrists are being very silly. There is no logical reason to make the assumption. It is based on what you want to be true.
    Don't make me get the unicorn emojis out because I will!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

She will stay on if she wins by 1 vote. By now we should all know that is her style, her (very mild) autism makes her oddly resilient to animosity and contempt: she doesn't see it, and/or doesn't care. Anyone else would have resigned after that appalling General Election result.

She's decided that Brexiting is her job, and she's damn well going to do it. Then she will retire.

I'm sure if her victory is narrow she will stride out and claim she will carry on.

So a majority of say 10 and she gets handed the whisky and pearl-handled by the Cabinet?
  • Options

6 hrs to go..
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289

Don't worry, you'll soon be able to enjoy her sterling leadership for another twelve months at least.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Why should they mind? The price would be financial payments, from us, a la Norvege. We'd be an inferior associate member. Trade would be uninterrupted, and a disastrous (for everyone) No Deal averted. Brexit is finally solved.

I reckon they'd be more than happy with it.
    It does beg the question "What was the point of Brexit then?", though.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Don't worry, you'll soon be able to enjoy her sterling leadership for another twelve months at least.
    It has to be said, as ineffectual can-kickers go, May has proven to be world class at it.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    When IDS lost weren't people predicting he was safe beforehand?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    All the remainers lining up behind May.

• Options

<

Scott_P said:

Don't make me get the unicorn emojis out because I will!
    Are they masses of voters Labour would win by switching to centrism?

At least someone has an answer to how all these committed centrists actually exist despite their lack of voting...
  • Options
    bazzer72 said:

It seems like I have got this wrong and May is expected to walk it - but what I cannot understand really is whether Ken Clarke's position from PMQ's applies to all Conservative remain-leaning MPs. I guess if I was a remain inclined MP whose constituents voted leave I might vote to boot May out tonight in the privacy of the ballot and the hope that it would throw all the pieces of the Brexit jigsaw up in the air looking for a cancellation; Do contributors on here expect remainers to pretty solidly back May tonight?

Yes - One word 'Boris'
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    Best news today is May meting Foster for 45 mins.

Suggests that even though the WA and continued DUP support may appear incompatible they may well be trying to sort something out.

I would expect DUP to keep up maximum pressure in public - but it may be that if WA does pass then something just might be in place to keep DUP onside.
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    edited December 2018

Obviously, it's in nobody's interests to say you're knifing your leader, just in case they win. So you publicly express support, and then do the dirty under cover of a secret ballot.

Presumably a not-insignificant chunk of those publicly professing support will not actually do so. Whereas I suspect almost all of those not expressing support will be almost uniformly against her.

So yes. It makes sense to assume the rebellion will be bigger than the BBC's May groupies are briefing.
    Seems the ERG are in full panic mode. May has really annoyed a lot of people this week with pulling the meaningful vote after sending her ministers out promising it would go ahead, after being found in contempt of parliament last week. However looking at the ERG 'owning' the vote today would probably have led me to vote Confidence tonight, holding my nose. Far better to isolate them.
  • Options
    Mr. Flashman (deceased), I wonder if that's a strategic error, assuming they aren't fibbing.

With May, she intends to run the clock down so the choice is her deal or none.

Without her, the mostly pro-EU PCP stands a chance of getting in a candidate who will go along with a second referendum.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

So, when the hurlyburly's done, revoke it will be.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Why should they mind? The price would be financial payments, from us, a la Norvege. We'd be an inferior associate member. Trade would be uninterrupted, and a disastrous (for everyone) No Deal averted. Brexit is finally solved.

Trashing the Tory party?
  • Options
    rpjs said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

There will be a public inquiries, truth and reconciliation commissions, and witch hunts aplenty, once Brexit is cancelled.

One hopes that the guilty (Olly Robbins, Nick Timothy, Gavin and Robbie) have been keeping detailed notes on how it's all May's fault.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

There isn't one with May's "deal" or Norway+.

Hence why the leavers want to get rid of May and the remainers want her to er...remain.
  • Options
    rpjs said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Maybe a good idea to refresh what 'beg the question' actually means?
  • Options

Xenon said:

No, and yes.
    Norway are in Schengen though.

It all seems completely pointless.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

So a majority of say 10 and she gets handed the whisky and pearl-handled by the Cabinet?
    The difference between 1990 and now is, of course, that there's no second round. She wins the first round by one vote and she's secure. How would her cabinet get rid of her - resign en masse? That worked so well when the Labour grandees did it to Corbyn, didn't it?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    rpjs said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

No political union.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    MikeL said:

Suggests that even though the WA and continued DUP support may appear incompatible they may well be trying to sort something out.

I would expect DUP to keep up maximum pressure in public - but it may be that if WA does pass then something just might be in place to keep DUP onside.

£3 billion for NI?!
  • Options

bazzer72 said:

It seems like I have got this wrong and May is expected to walk it - but what I cannot understand really is whether Ken Clarke's position from PMQ's applies to all Conservative remain-leaning MPs. I guess if I was a remain inclined MP whose constituents voted leave I might vote to boot May out tonight in the privacy of the ballot and the hope that it would throw all the pieces of the Brexit jigsaw up in the air looking for a cancellation; Do contributors on here expect remainers to pretty solidly back May tonight?

Yes - One word 'Boris'
    Remember to preface with Disgraced Sack of Shit and Amoral Sociopathic Snake.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

This whole tragic farce reminds me of World War One. by which I mean: when you look back at, say, Ed Miliband and the Sandwich, or Ed Miliband And His Ridiculous Policy Obelisk, it all seems so sweet, and innocent, and distant. Positively pre-war.

It's certainly the completion of British decline which began in 1914.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    Scott_P said:
    Might be true, but does his endorsement help?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

A50 would be delayed for a few weeks, it would need quick negotiation, but it could be done easily: as it is status quo ante.

We will still be in the Single Market with the Withdrawal Agreement, which has already been agreed.

It would not be quick in any sense to agree something different. You would need to get Agreement from all the EFTA states. Single Market + Customs Union is not compatible with EFTA as is. It would need to be ratified by the European Parliament. None of this is instant.

People really need to stop thinking that other countries give two s***s about Parliament’s inability to take a decision.
    They really really DO give a shit, in Brussels, Berlin, Paris, the Hague, Dublin. Because No Deal would not just hammer trade, it would cause financial and legal chaos (for them, as well as us). They know this, which is why they expect us to blink first. But if it looks like we have gone entirely mad, and ripped off our own eyelids, and therefore cannot blink, they will seek a modest compromise.

This one would suit them nicely.
    Grand words for somebody complaining about Labour position...
  • Options
    Seems the terrorist from lasts nights attack in Strasbourg has been on Santa’s naughty list most years...

He also had 27 convictions spanning across France, Germany and Switzerland, and has spent considerable time in prison as a result.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Like what?! This?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUCgC_TukKg
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Hmmm. IF she survives (and the Conservative Party is probably the most devious electorate to poll outside of the Vatican) then:

- she gets absolutely no changes out of Brussels on the WA. Nada. Squat. Zip.

- the deal FINALLY gets voted on - and booted out by Westminster

- nobody can agree on a question to ask the voters on a second referendum

- Art 50 gets extended by only 3 months, to work out what to do - sign the deal or pull Art 50?

- dithering, her administration looks moribund and she loses a VONC in Westminster

- there is an election - which she fronts. And she loses 100 seats.

- she resigns latest by early May. Less than five months of sterling leadership.

You can tell that we are dealing with public bodies here and not the private sector. Imagine a FTSE 250 company where the CEO lost the primary client, then screwed up the resulting corporate restructuring. They would never have got near the restructuring. Let alone being given a bomb-proof contract of emplotment for another 12 months.....
  • Options
    Xenon said:

Xenon said:

No, and yes.

They still have customs border controls though. And Norway has been a member of the FOM Nordic Passport Union since the 1940s, and which is now effectively subsumed into Schengen.
  • Options

SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

They really really DO give a shit, in Brussels, Berlin, Paris, the Hague, Dublin. Because No Deal would not just hammer trade, it would cause financial and legal chaos (for them, as well as us). They know this, which is why they expect us to blink first. But if it looks like we have gone entirely mad, and ripped off our own eyelids, and therefore cannot blink, they will seek a modest compromise.

Labour doesn't have a position.
  • Options
    Good news everybody.

Mike's just confirmed that he's starting a six month round the world tour this evening.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    RoyalBlue said:

The choices are deal, no deal or revoke. Our MPs, the media and the country need to get that into their heads.

I think so. Where to be clear 'deal' means the withdrawal agreement. The FTA could end up being Canada, Norway, Chequers, some other variation, but that is irrelevant to the choice faced now. I understand the machinations of those opposing the deal whose priority is a hard brexit, a GE, or another referendum, but the overall impact is unfortunate. By trashing it and then ultimately agreeing to ratify (as they will) we end up with a reasonable and realistic compromise looking like a national humiliation.
  • Options

SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

Yes they do, they have repeated it enough. You might not like it or you might not like the leader but as long as you can understand English and have paid attention you know they have a position.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    The ERG have gone off prematurely...

https://twitter.com/JGForsyth/status/1072871793801789440
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    "She's better than me."

Damning wth faint praise.....
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Scott_P said:

No one is getting kicked out. It’s more like leaving your wife becoming “world girlfriend day” which it is. Back on the market.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    edited December 2018
    Sean_F said:

bazzer72 said:

Yes - One word 'Boris'
    Remember to preface with Disgraced Sack of Shit and Amoral Sociopathic Snake.
    Come on now - you know I would be more polite but I do accept it is difficult
  • Options

SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

Oh yes it does!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUCgC_TukKg

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)
  • Options
    Sticking with May gives the Tories a big headache. They are stuck with a “nothing has changed” leader peddling a Brexit deal that won’t pass unless there are major changes to the backstop which she can’t celiver.

A different approach requires a different leader; a general election requires a different leader.

Sticking with May is the political equivalent of the Charge of the Light Brigade
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    More than this one does:

"The EU Commission has reiterated its backing for Theresa May ahead of a no-confidence vote by the prime minister’s party this evening. Speaking in Brussels Margaritis Schinas, the chief spokesperson of the Commission presidency, said the Commission believed Ms May had done a good job of “managing a very difficult process”."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-no-confidence-vote-eu-commission-juncker-brexit-irish-border-backstop-conservatives-a8679356.html
  • Options

SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

Yes they do, they have repeated it enough. You might not like it or you might not like the leader but as long as you can understand English and have paid attention you know they have a position.
    Their position is whatever you would like it to be. Where's the problem?
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

No, and yes.

They still have customs border controls though. And Norway has been a member of the FOM Nordic Passport Union since the 1940s, and which is now effectively subsumed into Schengen.
    Sure but would they have got their deal with the EU without it?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,797

Sticking with May gives the Tories a big headache. They are stuck with a “nothing has changed” leader peddling a Brexit deal that won’t pass unless there are major changes to the backstop which she can’t celiver.

A different approach requires a different leader; a general election requires a different leader.

Sticking with May is the political equivalent of the Charge of the Light Brigade

Maybe their charge would have worked if they could have repeated it over and over? :)
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Hmmm. IF she survives (and the Conservative Party is probably the most devious electorate to poll outside of the Vatican) then:

- Art 50 gets extended by only 3 months, to work out what to do - sign the deal or pull Art 50?

- dithering, her administration looks moribund and she loses a VONC in Westminster

- she resigns latest by early May. Less than five months of sterling leadership.

You can tell that we are dealing with public bodies here and not the private sector. Imagine a FTSE 250 company where the CEO lost the primary client, then screwed up the resulting corporate restructuring. They would never have got near the restructuring. Let alone being given a bomb-proof contract of emplotment for another 12 months.....
    I do believe that you have seen at least a glimpse of the real world situation that we face...congratulations.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    They went off years ago.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    More than this one does:

"The EU Commission has reiterated its backing for Theresa May ahead of a no-confidence vote by the prime minister’s party this evening. Speaking in Brussels Margaritis Schinas, the chief spokesperson of the Commission presidency, said the Commission believed Ms May had done a good job of “managing a very difficult process”."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-no-confidence-vote-eu-commission-juncker-brexit-irish-border-backstop-conservatives-a8679356.html
    "She has done all we demanded of her...."
  • Options
    Sky - 164 public declarations for TM (assume they have the names)
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

rpjs said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

There will be a public inquiries, truth and reconciliation commissions, and witch hunts aplenty, once Brexit is cancelled.

One hopes that the guilty (Olly Robbins, Nick Timothy, Gavin and Robbie) have been keeping detailed notes on how it's all May's fault.
    I'm looking forward to the show trials and seeing the Brexiteers condemned as enemies of the people.

But who will we get to play Vyshinsky? Andrew Adonis perhaps?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Maybe their charge would have worked if they could have repeated it over and over? :)
    Maybe, maybe not - but their losses would certainly have increased.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Given accuracy of cabinet minister briefings recently, not sure that means much. However, let’s look at this realistically, they struggled to get 48 letters in the first place, it took weeks. If there is really a ground swell of get her out, you would be like that scene out of Harry Potter will letter flying in left, right and centre.
  • Options

SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

RoyalBlue said:

SeanT said:

Repeating something incomprehensible over and over again does not make it a 'position'.
    It's just as meaningless as half the rubbish that comes out of May's mouth.

Your bias is obscene. I really hope you don't actually believe what you are writing and are simply doing it out of some blind duty.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

I do believe that you have seen at least a glimpse of the real world situation that we face...congratulations.
    The Tory party can change that time-line though.

Tonight.

Alternatively, they can just take a massive overdose of Spice...
This discussion has been closed.