Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Confirmed – 48 letters have been received by Graham Brady and

Comments

• Options

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

Anna Soubry backs May while attacking Owen Patterson and the ERG

https://mobile.twitter.com/Anna_Soubry/status/1072754552225583104

ERG are in the process of losing brexit. If they succeed tonight and an ERG member takes over upto 20 conservative mps will resign the whip
    The ERG won't win the leadership, they don't have enough votes to get anyone through to the final two.
    From an incredibly good source - Javid is a no dealer as well. No outcomes here are good.
    Well, if the options are No-deal, May's Deal, or Referendum, then if May's deal dies with her.

Problem is no tory could offer a referendum and hope to win the MPs/Membership. That would be poison.

So, risks a fundamental split of the party.
    Yep - although leaving on a publicly unverified no deal (which at the end of March might command less than a third of the electorate's support) is a form of suicide for them as well.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Drutt said:

Can Sunil or TSE make me a bar chart with "Years since Con PM ousted because of something other than Europe", value 44, and "Years since Con PM ousted because Europe", which will either be 2 or 0 depending on when today you make it.

Even Ted Heath losing in 1975 could be partly put down to Europe and his overenthusiastic support for it in the eyes of many Tory MPs, although that wasn't the main reason which was losing 3 out of 4 elections in terms of seats.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

ERG are in the process of losing brexit. If they succeed tonight and an ERG member takes over upto 20 conservative mps will resign the whip
    The ERG won't win the leadership, they don't have enough votes to get anyone through to the final two.
    They don't have to so long as their votes are critical in the commons they must be appeased. They're the DUP of the Tories.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Charles Moore is as crap as John Humphrys. Thank God for Laura Kuenssberg!
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Chris_A said:

tlg86 said:

She's dodged one vote this week; I think she'll dodge this one and resign.

If she wins by one vote, she will stay as Leader until they pry her fingers from the leavers of power. She does not seem to take hints...
    Well the malcontents just have to support Corbyn in a VoNC and she'll be gone by Friday.
    Any conservative mp doing that will be instantly deselected
    If Boris was your leader and you were an MP would you vote for him in a VONC?
    No - I would vote for the party and retain my candidacy
  • Options
    Holding a No Deal line for three months is going to be very tricky for the new leader, especially when the bad news starts to multiply.
  • Options

Credit where it's due, the speed they're getting through this is impressive now it's actually going.

These guys are already at "bargaining":
    https://twitter.com/FraserNelson/status/1072770302541746176

I've never thought she would stay past march even if her deal passed. It's too late to promise that now.
  • Options
    FWIW I expect Theresa May to survive the vote tonight and carry on.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,679
    So if May loses who does the Queen ask to form a government?

Is there any scenario where, because there is no official leader of the Tories, Lab get asked due to the PM being VoNCed? As the Tories don't have a natural majority in the House, it is possible that Corbyn is in a better position to form a government than a leaderless Tory party?
  • Options
    The one thing about this is the matter will be known by 9.00pm tonight.
  • Options
    Question: how many Tory MPs unexpectedly had their majorities cut to at the last election following Mrs May's inept campaign?
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    What happens if there is a tie in the VONC?
  • Options
    148grss said:

Is there any scenario where, because there is no official leader of the Tories, Lab get asked due to the PM being VoNCed? As the Tories don't have a natural majority in the House, it is possible that Corbyn is in a better position to form a government than a leaderless Tory party?

No.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986

Being consistently late is the height of rudeness.

Yep. I have to go to work. How inconsiderate. She's lost my vote.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Play this, helps the mood

https://youtu.be/kYL35rZKQo4
  • Options

Is there a conflict between two well established memes - that she is increasingly admired for her fortitude (and so more electable?) and that she is electoral disaster. We will probably never know.

+1
  • Options

Holding a No Deal line for three months is going to be very tricky for the new leader, especially when the bad news starts to multiply.

Completely. They will have minority public backing for this form of Brexit; plus it isn't even the first voting priority for many in a GE anyway (even if they are obsessed). Crazy.

Separately, Owen Patterson is a complete idiot....
  • Options
    148grss said:

If she loses she remains PM until her successor is elected
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Does Bercow get to vote in this?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
  • Options
    Surely the possibility article 50 suspension has to be a factor in the next few weeks?

And can somebody please explain (because understanding Labour is now beyond my ken) just what the impact of this is on Corbyn's position. Is it better because Tories are a mess or worse because likely election means fighting a new leader.

• Options
    tlg86 said:

No, he doesn't have the whip.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Question: how many Tory MPs unexpectedly had their majorities cut to at the last election following Mrs May's inept campaign?

Soubry and Rudd for two so they clearly don’t care about being re-elected.
  • Options
    edited December 2018

What happens if there is a tie in the VONC?

She hasn't lost in that case and can carry on if she wishes. But she'd probably resign in practice.
  • Options
    She looks grim
  • Options
    The fact that last year most voters backed parties opposing a No Deal Brexit is going to become increasingly relevant as the loons drive us over the cliff. If it wasn’t for the damage it will do, the end of the Conservatives as a serious party of government would be a joy to behold.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    So what do the ERG do if May wins?
  • Options
    "I will go on and on. Nothing has changed"
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    £15,000 of guaranteed 1% return at BFE is left...
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Nothing has changed. Move along.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    May: I will contest vote with everything I've got

• Options
    And it's still "my deal is the only deal"
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Yawn.
  • Options
    148grss said:

I always thought the outgoing pm is supposed to tell HM who to call next. Because there's no obvious Tory leader I think May won't resign as PM as she won't be able to give a name. Sure Corbyn might be closer to being able to get a majority right now but he doesn't realistically have a great chance if doing so. FTPA may have changed it up too.
  • Options

May will win tonight but hopefully the numbers voting against her will be large enough to persuade her to step down. Her deal is a failure and won’t get through Parliament no matter how much she tweeks it. The DUP won’t support her when it becomes clear that the backstop stays and no Tory wants a liability like May to lead them into the next General Election.

If that was true they would not have launched this today. It is madness as should she win she has 12 more months. I do not want that
    It makes total sense to launch it today. She can’t get her deal through Parliamment so it’s important a Brexiteer is now in charge. What th more Remainers than Leavers, May will win but enough May vote against her to encourage her to step down. Defeating Labour needs a new leader and that can’t cime soon enough.
    The minute a brexiteer takes charge upto 20 conservatives will resign the whip and a GE becomes almost certain
    Better a GE with the Tories led by a Brexiteer than Theresa “nothing has changed” May and her atrocious deal and blankety blank domestic policy agenda.
  • Options
    She used the word ‘precious ‘!
  • Options
    Freggles said:

That doesn't sound so convincing after her volte face on Monday about contesting votes.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Freggles said:

Good for her
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816

The risk of May being bomb-proof with a general election looming is what dooms her.

Tom Peck of the Independent on SKY says she will lose it comfortably.

After ducking plan B questions for a month, May bounded herself unambiguously on Monday to stand and fall by the current deal, no Norway, no remain, no no deal under her.

Therefore at first pass the confidence numbers to initially follow the Deal vote numbers. If we figure that around 110 of 250 backbench were against (sans a few payroll resignees), and that the payroll will split similarly, then we are at about 175-140.

At second pass, the prospect of locking in May for a year I reckon drives more votes against and this will outnumber anti-deal May backers, who would be mainly on the Remain wrong and few in number.

She could well lose in absolute numbers.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

No. He isn't a Conservative MP.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    May mentions "rescinding Article 50" !
  • Options
    Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634
    Whatever happens now at least everyone can stop speculating about the 48 bloody letters.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,003
    I wish she'd just fuck off.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

She expects to lose.
  • Options
    May laying down the hard facts. Back me, or lose Brexit and let Labour in..

Balls in the ERG court....
  • Options
    A narrow May win, with both sides screaming abuse in each other's faces would do for me. Then an immediate VONC so that the hypocritical wazzocks could be given the opportunity to lie to the camera about how having seconds ago screamed abuse about the Prime Minister demanding she goes that actually they do have confidence in her
  • Options

May will win tonight but hopefully the numbers voting against her will be large enough to persuade her to step down. Her deal is a failure and won’t get through Parliament no matter how much she tweeks it. The DUP won’t support her when it becomes clear that the backstop stays and no Tory wants a liability like May to lead them into the next General Election.

If that was true they would not have launched this today. It is madness as should she win she has 12 more months. I do not want that
    It makes total sense to launch it today. She can’t get her deal through Parliamment so it’s important a Brexiteer is now in charge. What th more Remainers than Leavers, May will win but enough May vote against her to encourage her to step down. Defeating Labour needs a new leader and that can’t cime soon enough.
    The minute a brexiteer takes charge upto 20 conservatives will resign the whip and a GE becomes almost certain
    Better a GE with the Tories led by a Brexiteer than Theresa “nothing has changed” May and her atrocious deal and blankety blank domestic policy agenda.
    It will not be the tories. It will be UKIP, all the conservatives will have resigned
  • Options
    Donny43 said:

Whatever happens now at least everyone can stop speculating about the 48 bloody letters.

The number probably reached about 40 before, and the cancelling of the vote pushed it up to around 50. Sorry to speculate.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Full Metal Maybot.
  • Options
    Moderate, pragmatic, mainstream? Arguably, I suppose.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

That not much; otherwise she’d be a better PM and have got a better deal.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Charles Moore is as crap as John Humphrys. Thank God for Laura Kuenssberg!

agreed
  • Options
    Weak.
  • Options
    Hancock says that was "characteristically strong and stable" Yes, really.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Scott_P said:

May mentions "rescinding Article 50" !

She's surely right that a new leader whoever it is means delaying Brexit.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081
    May is so boring. She says exactly the same thing every time.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Plenty of other less well-known Tory MPs may be thinking of it as they vote tonight.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    May: only people who benefit from a leadership election are Corbyn and McDonnell
  • Options

MaxPB said:

HYUFD said:

From an incredibly good source - Javid is a no dealer as well. No outcomes here are good.
    Well, if the options are No-deal, May's Deal, or Referendum, then if May's deal dies with her.

Problem is no tory could offer a referendum and hope to win the MPs/Membership. That would be poison.

So, risks a fundamental split of the party.
    Yep - although leaving on a publicly unverified no deal (which at the end of March might command less than a third of the electorate's support) is a form of suicide for them as well.
    Yes indeed. Managed no deal if they cannot renegotiate seems like the only way someone gets to be leader but 2 months from now the public might be more concerned. And it's not easy to even pull a Tsipras and capitulate. He did despite a public vote, but our pm needs parliamentary approval and they might block capitulation no matter what.
  • Options
    AmpfieldAndyAmpfieldAndy Posts: 1,445
    edited December 2018

It will not be the tories. It will be UKIP, all the conservatives will have resigned
    That slur won’t wash but if you want to sod off to the LibDems, be my guest.
  • Options
    Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634

She's right.

The Commons has to vote for that deal, or vote to overturn the referendum result, or accept that we leave with no withdrawal agreement.
  • Options

Yes but most Conservative MPs are Remainers so the Prime Minister's forewarnings of rescinding or extending Article 50 might be quite appealing, in which case she has just shot her own foot off.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,816
    AndyJS said:

Donny43 said:

The number probably reached about 40 before, and the cancelling of the vote pushed it up to around 50. Sorry to speculate.
    The number of 9s on 47.999 simply reached infinity.
  • Options

Is there a conflict between two well established memes - that she is increasingly admired for her fortitude (and so more electable?) and that she is electoral disaster. We will probably never know.

May be but they are not mutually exclusive. Admired for fortitude doesn't necessarily mean people would back her in a vote.
  • Options
    The May statement in full if you missed it

https://youtu.be/DNyKDI9pn0Q
  • Options
    Wow, oh wow. It finally happened. 47.99999 clicked over.

• Options
    Update: BF free money has gone
  • Options
    Mr. JohnL, aye. The noise of the ERG can be distracting but most Con MPs are pro-EU.

Do we have a timetable for today's doings?
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    dr_spyn said:
    How much do MPs game their vote? In the US Congress, it happens all the time. If it is safe to vote against their party, they do so they can use that in the next election. Otherwise, they eat their principles and keep the party in power.

Fox might just be saying he's supporting May because he knows she is going to lose ... Or am I too cynical?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    kle4 said:

148grss said:

I always thought the outgoing pm is supposed to tell HM who to call next. Because there's no obvious Tory leader I think May won't resign as PM as she won't be able to give a name. Sure Corbyn might be closer to being able to get a majority right now but he doesn't realistically have a great chance if doing so. FTPA may have changed it up too.
    If May resigned as PM before the Tories elected a new leader, it would put the Queen in an impossible position and draw the monarchy into the centre of the Brexit crisis.

Quite possible that May will do it, then. :-(
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    edited December 2018
    "I know you want rid of me, but that will cause too much of a faff-on, so best let me hang on"
  • Options

Mr. JohnL, aye. The noise of the ERG can be distracting but most Con MPs are pro-EU.

Do we have a timetable for today's doings?

Announcement some time after 8pm
  • Options

Yes but most Conservative MPs are Remainers so the Prime Minister's forewarnings of rescinding or extending Article 50 might be quite appealing, in which case she has just shot her own foot off.
    apart from the fact that a no-dealer would win the contest and be the new PM (or at least the leader of the Tory Party), and no doubt carry the process across to labour.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Plenty of other less well-known Tory MPs may be thinking of it as they vote tonight.
    I think that is true. Hope so.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Given that person's Twitter handle I doubt they are an objective view on the matter.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    Freggles said:

May: only people who benefit from a leadership election are Corbyn and McDonnell

Far from it - having a weak and crap PM hanging on is perfect for Labour.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Jonathan said:

Freggles said:

She expects to lose.
    I don't see how she can lose. Those voting against her would have to line up with the ERGers AND have another leader in mind. How many will vote against her when Boris might win? My guess is less than 100 will vote against her and she'll stay on
  • Options
    Mr. B2, cheers.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

dr_spyn said:
    How much do MPs game their vote? In the US Congress, it happens all the time. If it is safe to vote against their party, they do so they can use that in the next election. Otherwise, they eat their principles and keep the party in power.

Fox might just be saying he's supporting May because he knows she is going to lose ... Or am I too cynical?
    It's a secret ballot. As a Cabinet member he has to publicly back the PM - his position in Cabinet would be untenable otherwise. I do hope someone is tallying the public declarations to compare against the actual vote.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Funny if the vote would hinge on how the suspended Tories would have voted.
  • Options
    So we have 4 key dynamics: #1 Vote May to prevent utter chaos #2 Vote against May to save save the government from the DUP. #3 Should Uber Remainers vote against May to kill Brexit ? #4 Do pragmatists vote against May to bring government into line with the Tory membership as they know May's deal will split the Tory Party assunder ?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    IIRC Tim Loughton was chief cheerleader for Andrea Leadsom in 2016.
  • Options

So what do the ERG do if May wins?

They still block her deal. What can she do to them?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Funny if the vote would hinge on how the suspended Tories would have voted.
    Personally I'm hoping she wins with 52%.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Freggles said:

Far from it - having a weak and crap PM hanging on is perfect for Labour.
    If only Labour didn't have a weak and crap LOTO..
  • Options
    So when no 10 look at today's electorate who do they make promises to - the ERG or the remainers. Her best bet is to offer BINO. Also how can Corbyn wriggle out of his VONC now?
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    Scott_P said:
    I disagree. If and it’s a big if, the EU were willing to be flexible and agree side deals on a host of regulatory matters and grandfather us in to existing regulatory agreements we are party to. That could be done very easily. But they’ve made it fairly clear so far, that we need to own Brexit. It’s wa or no deal. I would expect them to relent on some things.

I have party members who are frothing at the mouth for a no deal.
  • Options
    It'll be interesting to see if any Tory MPs who refused to sign a letter nonetheless say they'll vote against her tonight. Probably very few will say so publicly.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

The ones trying to keep the party on the centre ground are the only ones that care. The extremists are far more concerned about the EU than their are about their own government, and the real nutters are mostly in safe seats and personally don't care at all.
  • Options
    Donny43 said:

She's right.

The Commons has to vote for that deal, or vote to overturn the referendum result, or accept that we leave with no withdrawal agreement.
    It's already absolutely clear that the deal will not pass the Commons. It was to be defeated so heavily that she pulled it because frit. Think how much support it would get having had her cling on in a shouty confidence vote in her frit non-leadership.

The deal is dead. The referendum cannot be delivered without crash Brexit which MPs also will not allow. Which means at the very least kicking the A50 can down the road...
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Paddys odds on her losing the vote are swinging wildly. Was 6/4 before her public statement. Now 11/4 and 1/4 she wins.
  • Options
    notme said:

Scott_P said:
    I disagree. If and it’s a big if, the EU were willing to be flexible and agree side deals on a host of regulatory matters and grandfather us in to existing regulatory agreements we are party to.
    Errr.good luck with that...
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    https://twitter.com/TobyWoody/status/1072773954778079232

Read it carefully. It made me laugh.
This discussion has been closed.