Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Moggsy’s TM confidence vote gamble could rebound into a confid

Comments

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited November 2018

Pulpstar said:

This isn't just a good deal. It's the remainers' ideal deal. We get to stay in close alignment with the EU and we can't get out of the Customs Union. So it avoids damage to the economy. It keeps us in the European market. And it's a gift to anyone who wants to argue for rejoining. After all, we have lost our say in the EU with no corresponding increased freedom of action. It is literally just like staying but choosing not to send any MEPs or commissioners over to represent our interests.

It's certainly not the Remainers' ideal deal, we generally care much more about our own free movement rights, and definitely aren't at all keen on damaging the economy to lose them.

However, we generally weren't holding out much hope there, since it was the overwhelmingly dominant message of the Leave campaign, and also TMay hates freedom.
    You're in Japan, where we certainly have no "free movement" with though - so it isn't the be all and end all even to you.
    I don't think anyone's saying it's the be all and end all, but having experience with the arbitrary restrictions, time-wasting and sheer destructive box-ticking idiocy of a developed country's visa process (not any more, I have permanent residency now, but there's always a risk it will change and I get a bit nervous about pension rights etc) it's very clear to me what young British people are losing.

Obviously I don't speak for all Remain supporters, but I bet if you showed up at one of the demos and asked people what aspect of the EU they most wanted to keep, that's what you'd hear the most.

The positive thing I think you can say about TMay's deal is that it's as close as you can imagine to a compromise between the Leave campaign's promises, weighted by how much they talked about them, and reality. But it's optimised for their goals, not ours.
    I think nearly half of the Remain vote was from people strongly anti-immigration, but sufficiently worried by the economy to vote reluctantly to stay in. Obviously it's the other half who have gone marching, but if I'm right then May's deal is a compromise fit for public opinion.
    Yes, I think that's fair. I took the Remainers @Recidivist was talking about upthread to be less floating-votey than that. I think the basic positioning of controlling immigration without blowing up the economy is pretty much where the voters are, which is why the Leave campaign ran on it.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,987

Campbell Bannerman on Sky saying the letters are in and while TM is a very decent hard working person but the deal is a disgrace and we need a leader to take the country into a no deal exit.

At last someone has confirmed ERG are determined to collapse our economy

"a firm believer in free trade, Irish Home Rule and the improvement of social conditions."
  • Options
    XenonXenon Posts: 471

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Right having thought about this all more, I don't think there's any chance the government haven't been preparing for no deal. It would be too stupid and negligent if they didn't and while I think they are crap I don't think they're that crap.

I think they need to say they haven't in order to sell this deal as the only possible option.

They are that crap.
    If that really is the case, can anyone explain to me their thinking behind not bothering to prepare?

I don't understand it, not only could it cause massive chaos, but it meant the EU could offer us any old rubbish entirely on their terms and we'd have to accept.

It must have been deliberate.
    Look no further than industry and investment. Everyone knows a no-deal would be a hard hit to the economy, in the short term at least, and angling for a no-deal whilst hoping for a deal would cause unnecessary harm to the economy by causing companies to reduce investment.

Not that hardcore Brexiteers care about unnecessary harm to the economy ...
    So they were prepared to give up our sovereignty forever because big business were worried about a short term hit to the economy.

Sums up the lot of them.
    That 'hit to the economy' might be my wife's job. Or friends' jobs. It may cost people their livelihoods and homes.

It hurts real people.

And that's why it matters.
    Of course it matters.

But so does our independence. People paid for it in the past with their blood, this might be the only chance of regaining ours without the same.
    Independence is a rather complicated concept, especially in the modern world where few, if any, countries are truly independent.

A person's wage packet is a very simple and direct concept, especially when it is reduced or removed.

Hence to most individuals the latter matters much more than the former. As I recall this played a part in the Scottish Indy referendum.

BTW, your last line is overwrought stupidity.
    So you'd happily give up independence for a few quid because it's "complicated".

At least you're honest I suppose.
    Don't put words into my mouth. I'm talking about the effect a no-deal could well have on many people, and the way it will be much more directly harmful than the rather esoteric consequences of EU membership.
    Well the government have ballsed up the negotiation no doubt about that. Now this is the result unfortunately.
  • Options
    11.52: The UK Government has applied to the country’s highest court for permission to appeal over a cross-party legal challenge on Brexit, the Press Association reports. It has applied to the supreme court seeking permission to appeal against a court ruling to ask the European court if the UK can unilaterally revoke its article 50 request to leave the European Union.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2018/nov/16/brexit-deal-may-fights-for-survival-as-tory-civil-war-looms-politics-live
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,028
    It's amazing how quickly the UK has gone from the stability, prosperity and calm of the 2010-15 Con/LibDem coalition to being on the verge of a failed state. Well fucking done to all involved.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

It's amazing how quickly the UK has gone from the stability, prosperity and calm of the 2010-15 Con/LibDem coalition to being on the verge of a failed state. Well fucking done to all involved.

Just needs one last push to get Corbyn into No 10, and then the job will be complete.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Dura_Ace said:

Erm ... the architect of that Government is the man most responsible for the current chaos. David Cameron.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

Mr Bun the Baker
    Mrs Bun the Baker's Wife
    Master Bun the Baker's Son
    Miss Bun the Baker's Daughter
    My, my, the bakers oven has been busy...
  • Options
    So the 48 letters may well be in now. I think TM will win but the purpose is to show that there are sufficient ERG members who have gone over the top to prove that her deal cannot pass parliament. The end result is that she'll be gone anyway because I don't think the MPs will vote a motion of no confidence under the FTPA.
  • Options
    Steve Baker saying that they've gone over 48 ... and they're still coming.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061
    Xenon said:

Well the government have ballsed up the negotiation no doubt about that. Now this is the result unfortunately.

Are you in favour of a deal, just not this deal, or are you a no-dealer?

If you are in favour of a different sort of deal, what do you think we could realistically have got?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

The media correspondent at BuzzFeed news reckons that, contrary to suggestions on here a couple of times, Daily Mail print circulation is down since Greig took over:

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1063364109725564928

It's down YoY too.

That said, I certainly wouldn't jump to conclusions that it's necessarily a result of the Brexit stance. The thing that struck me (as a former magazine editor) about the Mail's splash yesterday was not so much the volte face on Brexit, but how bad the page layout was - a big slab of ink at the top, a wordy story at the bottom, and nothing at all to lighten the mood. Tabloid papers are entertainment and it wasn't a very entertaining page.

As much abuse as Dacre used to get he was a formidable editor because he was in touch with his readership.

I can't see Greig lasting more than a year or so to be honest...
    Which will go first, Greig or the paper edition?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,061

Dura_Ace said:

Erm ... the architect of that Government is the man most responsible for the current chaos. David Cameron.
    Nah. As we're seeing today, the real evil is in the UKIP-strand of the Conservative Party, currently in the form of the ERG'ers.

Running a party in the presence of these insane bastards is impossible.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Dura_Ace said:

I thought you'd relinquished your British citizenship and become Johnny Foreigner?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    edited November 2018
    Have a look at Helena Lee's Twitter feed. A new witness saw her drive off alone. Could mean that the Peterborough by election might tbe more likely to take place.
  • Options
    Liam Fox has full confidence in PM as does Michael Gove
  • Options

Steve Baker saying that they've gone over 48 ... and they're still coming.

And yet...
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

I am not sure anyone could have done much better. Her position was very weak because of the narrow referendum win, and the fact that substantial parts of the country disagreed.

Whoever was going to play poker with the EU always had a piss-poor hand.

https://twitter.com/tonyburke2010/status/803561287548600320
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited November 2018

Pulpstar said:

This isn't just a good deal. It's the remainers' ideal deal. We get to stay in close alignment with the EU and we can't get out of the Customs Union. So it avoids damage to the economy. It keeps us in the European market. And it's a gift to anyone who wants to argue for rejoining. After all, we have lost our say in the EU with no corresponding increased freedom of action. It is literally just like staying but choosing not to send any MEPs or commissioners over to represent our interests.

It's certainly not the Remainers' ideal deal, we generally care much more about our own free movement rights, and definitely aren't at all keen on damaging the economy to lose them.

However, we generally weren't holding out much hope there, since it was the overwhelmingly dominant message of the Leave campaign, and also TMay hates freedom.
    You're in Japan, where we certainly have no "free movement" with though - so it isn't the be all and end all even to you.
    I don't think anyone's saying it's the be all and end all, but having experience with the arbitrary restrictions, time-wasting and sheer destructive box-ticking idiocy of a developed country's visa process (not any more, I have permanent residency now, but there's always a risk it will change and I get a bit nervous about pension rights etc) it's very clear to me what young British people are losing.

Obviously I don't speak for all Remain supporters, but I bet if you showed up at one of the demos and asked people what aspect of the EU they most wanted to keep, that's what you'd hear the most.

The positive thing I think you can say about TMay's deal is that it's as close as you can imagine to a compromise between the Leave campaign's promises, weighted by how much they talked about them, and reality. But it's optimised for their goals, not ours.
    I think nearly half of the Remain vote was from people strongly anti-immigration, but sufficiently worried by the economy to vote reluctantly to stay in. Obviously it's the other half who have gone marching, but if I'm right then May's deal is a compromise fit for public opinion.
    Yet the initial polling says otherwise.
    To poll that you'd need several parallel universes so you could send TMay off to negotiate all the different possible versions and see which one the voters hated least. But given the loveliness of the promises and the complexity of actual existence it was always obvious people weren't going to like the smell coming out of the box when they opened it.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    edited November 2018
    Dura_Ace said:

Failed state? Calm down and look at some actual failed states. We're in a big mess, that's not the same thing.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

So the 48 letters may well be in now. I think TM will win but the purpose is to show that there are sufficient ERG members who have gone over the top to prove that her deal cannot pass parliament. The end result is that she'll be gone anyway because I don't think the MPs will vote a motion of no confidence under the FTPA.

I really think she won't win. The decision for Tory MPs becomes a single issue - if there is an early general election coming at us, as seems at least quite possible, can we risk having Theresa May leading us into it, having ballsed up one election and having ballsed up the Brexit agreement?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Campbell Bannerman on Sky saying the letters are in and while TM is a very decent hard working person but the deal is a disgrace and we need a leader to take the country into a no deal exit.

At last someone has confirmed ERG are determined to collapse our economy

It has been obvious for some time. The only surprise is that it has taken so long to sink in.
    Boris put it rather succinctly I seem to recall.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Nah. As we're seeing today, the real evil is in the UKIP-strand of the Conservative Party, currently in the form of the ERG'ers.

No that's a very unfair remark and the kind of thing which shows how out of touch some remainers are with the mood of many people. 52% of this country voted to Leave. The real problem is that we didn't know precisely what we voted for and there was NO contingency on that victory. None. At all.

Cameron.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    >
    kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Failed state? Calm down and look at some actual failed states. We're in a big mess, that's not the same thing.
    Politically it's hard to see anything but. Like an Italy but without the sun or the food.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Failed state? Calm down.
    He is right in one sense. We have gone from a nation renowned for diplomacy to one that seems almost bi-polar and making huge policy blunders and, in politics, our main political parties are in paralysis and internal turmoil.

We are not who we were.
  • Options

11.52: The UK Government has applied to the country’s highest court for permission to appeal over a cross-party legal challenge on Brexit, the Press Association reports. It has applied to the supreme court seeking permission to appeal against a court ruling to ask the European court if the UK can unilaterally revoke its article 50 request to leave the European Union.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2018/nov/16/brexit-deal-may-fights-for-survival-as-tory-civil-war-looms-politics-live

So, they'd rather not know this information?
  • Options

She will be gone by next week then :D:D
  • Options
    TheoTheo Posts: 325
    Anorak said:

I am not sure anyone could have done much better. Her position was very weak because of the narrow referendum win, and the fact that substantial parts of the country disagreed.

Except the UK has played a great hand and got a good deal with most of the benefits of Remain and most of the control of Leave.

It is just the selfish politically partisan MPs won't back it.
  • Options

it's very clear to me what young British people are losing.

The problem with the young is they don't have the generally have the same historical context of those who've lived a bit longer.

I lived, studied and worked in two different European countries for 15 months a couple of years before the Single Market and FOM came into being.

There was no huge bureaucracy then, and there will be no huge barriers to it happening in the future. We will probably pay for access in terms of some programmes - but so be it.

We are close friends and allies with European nations - and have been trading, living, working and marrying in each others territories for 2 thousand years. The 40 years of our EU membership is but a blip n that context.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290

Had hoped that a Liam Fox Off headline would appear today.
  • Options
    XenonXenon Posts: 471

Xenon said:

Are you in favour of a deal, just not this deal, or are you a no-dealer?

If you are in favour of a different sort of deal, what do you think we could realistically have got?
    Start from a position of no deal, ensure the planes are kept in the air and we can at least trade with the EU under WTO rules if necessary.

Then work from there and try to get as much as we can agreed.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894
    edited November 2018
    Dura_Ace said:

It seemed to all kick off in 2014 with the Scottish referendum and Cameron's panic-stricken dash "up north" after *that* YouGov poll.

I think when people saw the power they had to troll their politicians they kinda liked it... :D
  • Options

tlg86 said:

More interesting is who isn't on this list...

https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1063380077227008000

At least three on that list would help government if they actually did resign.

Why put their reputations for loyalty at risk, when others are going to get rid of TMay anyway?
  • Options
    Anorak said:

But the No-Deal Derringer pointed at their crotch under the table might have made them fold...
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,879
    OchEye said:

GIN1138 said:

The media correspondent at BuzzFeed news reckons that, contrary to suggestions on here a couple of times, Daily Mail print circulation is down since Greig took over:

https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1063364109725564928

It's down YoY too.

That said, I certainly wouldn't jump to conclusions that it's necessarily a result of the Brexit stance. The thing that struck me (as a former magazine editor) about the Mail's splash yesterday was not so much the volte face on Brexit, but how bad the page layout was - a big slab of ink at the top, a wordy story at the bottom, and nothing at all to lighten the mood. Tabloid papers are entertainment and it wasn't a very entertaining page.

As much abuse as Dacre used to get he was a formidable editor because he was in touch with his readership.

I can't see Greig lasting more than a year or so to be honest...
    Which will go first, Greig or the paper edition?
    Greig. The paper edition is very profitable and will remain so for a long while. Midmarket papers are one of the most profitable advertising markets there is.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

The ERGers are about 40 in number. If this deal goes down the influence of the Labour Party will be 80% of the votes.
  • Options
    Theo said:

Anorak said:

Except the UK has played a great hand and got a good deal with most of the benefits of Remain and most of the control of Leave.

It is just the selfish politically partisan MPs won't back it.
    +1
  • Options
    matt said:

>

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Politically it's hard to see anything but. Like an Italy but without the sun or the food.
    States with problems, even huge ones, does not equal being a failed state. That kind of hyperbole helps avoid tacking problems, because people will see we are not a failed state and presume other warnings of problems are nonsense too, even when they are not. For the same thing in reverse look at some of the ERG comments over the past few days.
  • Options

I really think she won't win. The decision for Tory MPs becomes a single issue - if there is an early general election coming at us, as seems at least quite possible, can we risk having Theresa May leading us into it, having ballsed up one election and having ballsed up the Brexit agreement?
    And that is the idiotic nonsense of ERG.

Vnoc now and she wins and we have a GE in 2019 she will lead the party into the election

And even I do not want that option so they need to stop being so stupid
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

Pulpstar said:

I don't think this claim is true, nor is there evidence to support it. Many of us were uneasy about the level of immigration and unhappy about the way it was being dealt with, but do understand the point of it all and were sad that the government failed so miserably to make the case for it. What's been alarming is the amount of hypocrisy among those on the right who continually railed against immigration but benefited from it immensely. I'm glad to say that quite a lot of them now see the folly of their position.
  • Options

Not sure about that, because of the timing. The leadership contest is now a proxy for whether MPs try to get a deal with the EU, rather than about her election-winning talents or lack thereof.

The interesting point here is that the ERG would be doing this if they thought the deal was doomed anyway. Unless they are just smashing up the party and country for the fun of it, which admittedly does look a rather good fit to the facts.
  • Options

Setting fire to the economy is also sub-optimal for reelection and that seems to be the state-of-the art thinking of the anti-TMay candidates, so even if they really think she's a certain election loser it still seems worth gambling that they can get through Brexit and dispose of her later.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Anorak said:

Hmm. Given we've ended up with such unusual cards, are we sure a royal flush is good here, because the tweet doesn't confirm the two of us were playing poker in the first place.
  • Options
    Katya will be accused of being a TM loyalist
  • Options

There is no route to a general election under the FTPA unless or until the Conservatives decide to vote for one.

And I can't see a situation in which that is the preferable option for them.

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Vnoc now and she wins and we have a GE in 2019 she will lead the party into the election

Are the DUP serious in their claims to no longer being willing to prop up May?

If they are then in the interests of short term survival that will be a factor in peoples decision making possibly?
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Failed state? Calm down.
    He is right in one sense. We have gone from a nation renowned for diplomacy to one that seems almost bi-polar and making huge policy blunders and, in politics, our main political parties are in paralysis and internal turmoil.

We are not who we were.
    This is certainly the worst political crisis in the U.K. since the early 20th century. And the worst in any western country since 1945. Only the Algerian crisis and fall of the fourth republic in France comes close in terms of national trauma.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Failed state? Calm down.

We are not who we were.
    I think you're conflating our political class and ordinary UK citizens. Westminster might be disappearing up its own orifice, but I don't see that we're any different than the surly yeomanry of yore. As for diplomatic excellence, we're not known as 'perfidious Albion' for nothing.
  • Options

Unless [the ERG] are just smashing up the party and country for the fun of it, which admittedly does look a rather good fit to the facts.

Perhaps they have traversed the political circle and have arrived at Marx's belief that the system needs to be torn down and then rebuilt (or it might have been Lenin, but they are both dead commies so it probably does not matter)
  • Options

Not sure about that, because of the timing. The leadership contest is now a proxy for whether MPs try to get a deal with the EU, rather than about her election-winning talents or lack thereof.

The interesting point here is that the ERG would be doing this if they thought the deal was doomed anyway. Unless they are just smashing up the party and country for the fun of it, which admittedly does look a rather good fit to the facts.
    Also bear in mind that in reality she can be forced to resign at any time if enough cabinet ministers aand MPs demand it.
  • Options

Look, I went out and knocked on hundreds of doors and delivered thousands of leaflets to help get her a majority. But she has proved to be woeful, both of as the face of the Conservative Party and of UK plc.

Any FTSE company would have got rid long ago.
  • Options

There is no route to a general election under the FTPA unless or until the Conservatives decide to vote for one.

Not true. Not saying it's likely, but if the DUP pull the plug you almost certainly get a new election.
  • Options
    Blair tries to reach out to purist Brexiteers in Telegraph. Join the call for 2nd vote.

"I make an appeal to the true Brexiteers. You can’t get what you want through this Parliament. You and I share the view: if leave, leave; if stay, stay. But not half-in half-out enduring perpetual purgatory.

It’s time to make common cause."
  • Options

Setting fire to the economy is also sub-optimal for reelection and that seems to be the state-of-the art thinking of the anti-TMay candidates, so even if they really think she's a certain election loser it still seems worth gambling that they can get through Brexit and dispose of her later.
    Yep. Voting down thus deal will result in a cliff edge Brexit with Corbyn in power. And a global recession is just round the corner. The triple whammy will cause poverty for millions.

ERGers and Labourites don't care.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,028

Dura_Ace said:

It is possible to do brilliant and terrible things in the same career. McCartney wrote both a A Day in the Life and that shit with the frogs.
  • Options

Blair tries to reach out to purist Brexiteers in Telegraph. Join the call for 2nd vote.

"I make an appeal to the true Brexiteers. You can’t get what you want through this Parliament. You and I share the view: if leave, leave; if stay, stay. But not half-in half-out enduring perpetual purgatory.

Yes - Provided the question is between May's deal and a WTO deal. That we are leaving was decided at the last referendum.
  • Options
    Theo said:

Yep. Voting down thus deal will result in a cliff edge Brexit with Corbyn in power. And a global recession is just round the corner. The triple whammy will cause poverty for millions.

ERGers and Labourites don't care.
    Disaster Capitalism and Disaster Socialism, walking arm-in-arm through the lobbies
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    So Gove backs May and her Deal as does fellow Cabinet Leaver Liam Fox.

Is Gove now Michael Collins to Boris or Mogg's De Valera?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2018

Look, I went out and knocked on hundreds of doors and delivered thousands of leaflets to help get her a majority. But she has proved to be woeful, both of as the face of the Conservative Party and of UK plc.

She is woeful, but ironically the one thing she has done well - negotiating a decent Brexit against the odds - is the reason she now might not survive. A funny old world, indeed.
  • Options

Did you read my comment.

She will win a vnoc and that puts her in place for 12 months including a possible GE

That is just plain daft
  • Options

Extremists on both sides trying to repudiate the sensible middle ground.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,904
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

It is possible to do brilliant and terrible things in the same career. McCartney wrote both a A Day in the Life and that shit with the frogs.
    A Day in the Life is not that bad.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,253
    edited November 2018
    John_M said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Failed state? Calm down.

We are not who we were.
    I think you're conflating our political class and ordinary UK citizens. Westminster might be disappearing up its own orifice, but I don't see that we're any different than the surly yeomanry of yore. As for diplomatic excellence, we're not known as 'perfidious Albion' for nothing.
    Perfidy may very well count as successful diplomacy, what's happening now is neither. Henceforth we shall be known as 'bit shit, doesn't know its arse from its elbow Albion'.
  • Options
    Theo said:

Extremists on both sides trying to repudiate the sensible middle ground.
    Plus partisan unprincipled behaviour by Labour SNP etc.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,894

The comments underneath are the best part! :D
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Anorak said:

Hmm. Given we've ended up with such unusual cards, are we sure a royal flush is good here, because the tweet doesn't confirm the two of us were playing poker in the first place.
    Playing Happy Families?
  • Options
    Both the people's vote; and the ERG brigade think they're on the verge of complete victory ! But even if the ERG are right and we leave with no deal, what the f*ck do they expect to happen next. Public opinion is going to be something like 60-40 as the reality of no deal bites !
    It'll be reaccession under Corbyn as the Tories are humiliated in the 2022 General Election, whereas taking May's deal - well Corbyn will just extend the transition whilst he's in power.

I think the ERG are right in the short term but long in the wrong term here !
  • Options

John_M said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Failed state? Calm down.

We are not who we were.
    Perfidy may very well count as successful diplomacy, what's happening now isn't either. Henceforth we shall be known as 'bit shit, doesn't know its arse from its elbow Albion'.
    Meh, the Dutch shelled London once. We got over it.
  • Options

John_M said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Failed state? Calm down.

We are not who we were.
    Perfidy may very well count as successful diplomacy, what's happening now isn't either. Henceforth we shall be known as 'bit shit, doesn't know its arse from its elbow Albion'.
    But the North British have excelled themselves in arguing against the folly of ripping the country from an economic union.....
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

Lennon wrote A Day in the Life, McCartney wrote the middle verse ;)

McCartney wrote Blackbird, Yesterday, She's Leaving Home, Let it Be and Hey Jude.

Lennon's Beef Jerky is arguably worse than the Frog Song. I suppose at least Macca aimed his song at the children's market.
  • Options

Yes as every alternative leader polls worse than May
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,736

Also bear in mind that in reality she can be forced to resign at any time if enough cabinet ministers aand MPs demand it.
    That's what Labour thought about Corbyn... and he's still there.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

A Day in the Life is not that bad.
    Lyrics of a Day in the Life were said to be by Lennon.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Pulpstar said:

Both the people's vote; and the ERG brigade think they're on the verge of complete victory ! But even if the ERG are right and we leave with no deal, what the f*ck do they expect to happen next. Public opinion is going to be something like 60-40 as the reality of no deal bites !
    It'll be reaccession under Corbyn as the Tories are humiliated in the 2022 General Election, whereas taking May's deal - well Corbyn will just extend the transition whilst he's in power.

It is increasingly likely May will call EUref2 rather than risk governing with a No Deal Brexit only 32% supported in the Sky poll yesterday
  • Options
    If the Tories were smart they'd agree a deal with May where they stuck with her till the 29th March then elect a new leader thereafter. She'll deserve the rest after getting Brexit over the line quite frankly !
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    GE seems increasingly likely next year. If this Agreement passes, DUP pulls the plug, GE. If it doesn't pass...well, it is difficult to see a non-GE route out of it. Remain/NoDeal referendum is the only other possibility.
    Given that...VONC, which would probably cement May in place for a year, seems a sub-optimal route.
    However, such is the tactical genius of the ERG.
  • Options
    Lennon said:

That's what Labour thought about Corbyn... and he's still there.
    Because they know that the membership is currently cultish enough to re-elect him. Does not apply to any other parties.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

She is woeful, but ironically the one thing she has done well - negotiating a decent Brexit against the odds - is the reason she now might not survive. A funny old world, indeed.
    Against the odds how? Total capitulation on the border issue was always a strategy guaranteed to succeed
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

It is increasingly likely May will call EUref2 rather than risk governing with a No Deal Brexit only 32% supported in the Sky poll yesterday
    Judging by the media the no deal option is becoming like the plague to more and more voters
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

Did you read my comment.

She will win a vnoc and that puts her in place for 12 months including a possible GE

That is just plain daft
    If she wins the VONC she might still step aside. There's precedent for that.
  • Options

John_M said:

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Failed state? Calm down.

We are not who we were.
    But the North British have excelled themselves in arguing against the folly of ripping the country from an economic union.....
    Ruth and her several dwarves were certainly arguing that re. Brexit at one point, fuck knows what their position is now.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

If her deal fails to make it through the commons (After two tries) then she'll announce her resignation I expect.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    I think the problem with the ERGers is that they underestimate the power of leaving. Yes we'll still be in the customs union and yes there's another 4 years of being bummed by the ECJ, but we will have left. That break would still be a huge victory. Brexit will take 15 years to complete IMO, expecting it to be done by March of next year is completely stupid.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,358
    edited November 2018
    Dadge said:

Did you read my comment.

That is just plain daft
    Haven't you learnt by now. TM does not do stepping aside

The only time she would be in peril is if her cabinet abandon her and that seems less likely today
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Dura_Ace said:

It seemed to all kick off in 2014 with the Scottish referendum and Cameron's panic-stricken dash "up north" after *that* YouGov poll.

I think when people saw the power they had to troll their politicians they kinda liked it... :D
    Politicians had forgotten to be afraid of the electorate, unfortunately too many of them have short term memories, still....
  • Options

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Failed state? Calm down.

We are not who we were.
    I think I've told this story before. If so please forgive me.

Let's just say that I know a retired senior civil servant who was among the last generation to negotiate international treaties before we joined the EEC. After the Brexit vote, he and former colleagues contacted the cabinet office to offer to come in to speak to their modern counterparts and pass on institutional knowledge before they died or were too gaga to be of help. Six month later they received a reply that their kind offer was not necessary as the large consultancies were being retained to train civil servants in how to do this.

Says it all really.
  • Options

Dadge said:

Did you read my comment.

That is just plain daft
    Haven't you learnt by now. TM does not do stepping aside
    Perhaps if the deal is defeated twice in the commons, that's the hill she will die on.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    MaxPB said:

I think the problem with the ERGers is that they underestimate the power of leaving. Yes we'll still be in the customs union and yes there's another 4 years of being bummed by the ECJ, but we will have left. That break would still be a huge victory. Brexit will take 15 years to complete IMO, expecting it to be done by March of next year is completely stupid.

An actuary could tell you the problem for them with Brexit taking 15 years.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

kle4 said:

Dura_Ace said:

Failed state? Calm down.

We are not who we were.
    I think I've told this story before. If so please forgive me.

Let's just say that I know a retired senior civil servant who was among the last generation to negotiate international treaties before we joined the EEC. After the Brexit vote, he and former colleagues contacted the cabinet office to offer to come in to speak to their modern counterparts and pass on institutional knowledge before they died or were too gaga to be of help. Six month later they received a reply that their kind offer was not necessary as the large consultancies were being retained to train civil servants in how to do this.

Says it all really.
    It would be good if you or he could share that information with Tim Shipman for his next book.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,879
    We should be due an announcement on DEXEU SoS before long. My guess is that Liam Fox will get a joint DIT/DEXEU portfolio.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    Dadge said:

Did you read my comment.

That is just plain daft
    Not with her, there isn't
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

If her deal fails to make it through the commons (After two tries) then she'll announce her resignation I expect.
    Rubbish she will try it again only this time threaten EUref2 if the Commons votes it down again.

May has the hide of a rhino as she made clear yesterday and is digging in hard
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

You forget her tin ear....
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Judging by the media the no deal option is becoming like the plague to more and more voters
    No Deal won't happen, it will be EUref2 and Remain if the Deal is voted down I think
  • Options
    BBC news just had a couple of MP's on, predicting Cox or Fox for Brexit Minister - please let it be Cox!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618

MaxPB said:

An actuary could tell you the problem for them with Brexit taking 15 years.
    :D
  • Options

We should be due an announcement on DEXEU SoS before long. My guess is that Liam Fox will get a joint DIT/DEXEU portfolio.

May has effectively been the DEXEU Sec of State since the start. Might as well formally recognise it.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

to call an EU Ref 2, she will need the support of HoC......will she get it?, a GE is more likely
This discussion has been closed.