Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Raab’s resignation sparks off huge movements on the TMay exit,

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Mordaunt next, surely ?
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Neither Liam Fox nor Michael Gove are on the government benches
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Mordaunt next, surely ?

about the least threatening Cabinet minister
  • Options
    XenonXenon Posts: 471

Xenon said:

You should form a double-act.

Which one of you wants to be Bart SImpson as the 'I didn't do it' kid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtVteemLin4

What are you talking about?
    The Brexiter line: it's always some else's fault. It's the EU's fault. It's May's fault. It's not my fault.

But it is. Anyone who voted for leave owns this, and owns the consequences.
    Well done for completely ignoring my point.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,811

Just to re-emphasize one point.

May's Deal is dead, but we are still Brexiting. Brexit is still in progress. Come 29th March, out we go with no deal.

The hardcore Brexiteers will still get their hard Brexit. All they have to do is keep the chaos going for a few more months.

That's not actually inevitable, is it? There's a mechanism by which we can extend the exit in order to obtain the best negotiation.
    It's the status quo until someone makes a change. Who can now command a majority of the House? No-one, and so the likelihood of changing the status quo is slim.
    2 years to get here, and for all people will say correctly May is crap, people have also noted the EU fights hard and has a strong hand. A claim of a better negotiation at this stage is hugely reckless.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Alistair said:

I cannot tell you how glad I am that I have already exchanged on my flat sale now.

Not yet sold but Scotland so I am intensly relaxed as offer accepted.
    Meeks was selling in the big smoke though, I think that's where immediate fallout from no deal hits hardest.
    Yes, so much for "it's leavers who will suffer the most".
    Leave areas might well be hard hit, but the London property market has always struck me as inflated to begin with. This could pop the bubble.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

who says that a deal will not be done this time between the final two candidates?
    Or that only one name will emerge and be elected unopposed?

The obvious choice for a caretaker (from a Tory perspective) is David Davis.
    A mad choice. He's a moron.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,045
    Xenon said:

Xenon said:

The Brexiter line: it's always some else's fault. It's the EU's fault. It's May's fault. It's not my fault.

Your 'point' wasn't a point. It was a pathetic blame-shifting exercise (and ignored the fact we'd had a previous referendum).
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

Neither Liam Fox nor Michael Gove are on the government benches

Nor is the Scottish minister
  • Options
    Gove is either plotting or fixing.

never a dull moment...
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

I accept he is reading out what someone has written for him, but this could be Corbyn's finest hour without a shadow of a doubt. The most forensic and statesmanlike he has ever been.

Paradoxically, I thought it was a good statement from May too, in all the circumstances.

I thought Ken Clark trumped them all. Theresa is to be admired but she's selling a dead parrot and sometimes she even appears to know it
  • Options

May's Deal is dead, but we are still Brexiting. Brexit is still in progress. Come 29th March, out we go with no deal.

The hardcore Brexiteers will still get their hard Brexit. All they have to do is keep the chaos going for a few more months.

That's not actually inevitable, is it? There's a mechanism by which we can extend the exit in order to obtain the best negotiation.
    It's the status quo until someone makes a change. Who can now command a majority of the House? No-one, and so the likelihood of changing the status quo is slim.
    I reckon a new leader would win HUGE parliamentary backing for a 12 month delay in order to sort this out.
    Sort it out in what way?
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Love the idea of Brian Blessed for PM. Imagine having to negotiate with him...

I'm 200 miles from Parliament. But would be able to him his statement to the house without it being broadcast

He played Exeter in Branagh's film of Henry V so he has experience of negotiating with Europeans...

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,826
    Pulpstar said:

Mordaunt next, surely ?

I think Hunt and Javid are key. If either of them resigns it's game over for Mrs May.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Your 'point' wasn't a point. It was a pathetic blame-shifting exercise (and ignored the fact we'd had a previous referendum).
    So how should we have left the EU then?

And the previous referendum wasn't for what the EU turned into. Geez some people really are EU fanatics.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    OchEye said:

Nearly 11:00 Bets on next resignation?

It is now 11:02 and no more resignations.

Crisis over !
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    I know May can't trust Gove an inch but I think thats true for all of them now - promote him to DEus EX MachinaEU
  • Options
    Is Brady still due to give a press statement?
  • Options

never a dull moment...

There's no fixing this. He's gone.
  • Options
    Operation Find Gove is underway.

Where is he?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

I wonder what Barnier and Blair are thinking at this moment? Yesterday they were smugly thinking the Establishment had hoodwinked the British voters.... Now? Not so much maybe......

Blair wants the deal to fail.

This idea that just because Leavers hate the deal, Remainers must love it is very weird, MM. I think the sooner you disabuse yourself of it the sooner you'll start understanding what's actually motivating the various actors here.
    Blair has two leagacies: Iraq and knitting the UK inextricably into the EU without troubling the people to get their permission. He's still happy with the outcome of at least one of those.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I reckon a new leader would win HUGE parliamentary backing for a 12 month delay in order to sort this out.
    Sort it out in what way?
    We should put to the House 3 options:

1. A much much better deal for Britain

or

2. No Deal exit

or

3. A second referendum

A 12 month delay would allow time to sort out all three possibilities, to have them debated correctly in the House as genuine options and then to be voted upon.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,877
    Ishmael_Z said:

That was a storming Corbyn performance

Dont tell Ishmaelz
    Perhaps you misread "competent" for "incompetent" in my post? If metaphors are too difficult for you, what I was saying was that Corbyn had been given an easy job to do, and was doing it well.
    Apologies thought you said own rather than open

I am clearly over excited
  • Options

kle4 said:

So, if things fall apart, who leads the government of national unity?

Isn't TSE still between jobs?
    Gardening leave until May 2019.

Am specifically enjoined from taking gainful employment until then.

I suppose I could be PM without a salary.
    I've been, um, on "trainspotting leave" since the end of August. I think I should be transport secretary :)
  • Options
    I keep seeing hot pictures of Dom Raab and coming over all queer.

He's a beauty.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

2 years to get here, and for all people will say correctly May is crap, people have also noted the EU fights hard and has a strong hand. A claim of a better negotiation at this stage is hugely reckless.
    Also, for the EU, what is the incentive to renegotiate? They could waste a lot of time and effort and see a second deal scuppered again by disunity in Britain.

If your counterpart in negotiations cannot make an agreement stick then negotiations are pointless.
  • Options
    She's beginning to do that strident thing. She should stop answering questions.
  • Options

Where is he?

Apologising to Boris?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,664

kle4 said:

Sort it out in what way?

or

2. No Deal exit

or

3. A second referendum

A 12 month delay would allow time to sort out all three possibilities, to have them debated correctly in the House as genuine options and then to be voted upon.
    Precisely what is this mythical 'much, much better deal for Britain' ?
    You might as well have utopia as an option.
  • Options

She's beginning to do that strident thing. She should stop answering questions.

With respect that is not an option for her
  • Options

Where is he?

Where is Gove?
    Does he fall from skies above?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

never a dull moment...

There's no fixing this. He's gone.
    Dentist?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080

I wonder what Barnier and Blair are thinking at this moment? Yesterday they were smugly thinking the Establishment had hoodwinked the British voters.... Now? Not so much maybe......

This idea that just because Leavers hate the deal, Remainers must love it is very weird, MM. I think the sooner you disabuse yourself of it the sooner you'll start understanding what's actually motivating the various actors here.
    Blair has two leagacies: Iraq and knitting the UK inextricably into the EU without troubling the people to get their permission. He's still happy with the outcome of at least one of those.
    Our membership of the EU has been largely a Tory project, from Macmillan to Heath to Thatcher to Major.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333

kle4 said:

Sort it out in what way?

or

2. No Deal exit

or

3. A second referendum

1. is not going to get past the EU so you might as well take it off the list. Why do so many people think that the world revolves around the UK? The UK can't just "go back" to the EU and ask for this, that or the other.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited November 2018

I keep seeing hot pictures of Dom Raab and coming over all queer.

He's a beauty.

Raab would probably make a good Mr Darcy in an am dram production of Pride and Prejudice its probably fair to say!

May has probably lost her two best looking Cabinet ministers today.

But your username does perhaps end up giving you such thoughts.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,865
    Morning all :)

A tumultuous day already and it's not even noon.

I'm drawn to the parallels of March 2003 when Blair, operating, it has to be said, from a vastly more advantageous Parliamentary position than May, had to get Parliament to agree to British involvement in the Iraq invasion.

His own Party was split from stem to stern and he had lost Cabinet Ministers, primarily, and May hasn't yet lost one of the big three, Robin Cook. The Opposition was, however, led by a man few envisaged as ever becoming PM who was, if anything, more supportive of the Government position than Blair himself.

In the end, IDS led most of the Conservative Parliamentary Party (with 12 or 13 honourable exceptions) into the lobby with Blair and 250 Labour MPs and Blair won the day comfortably relying on Opposition support just as Heath had in the early 70s and May might in the days to come.

After Iraq, it was never the same for Blair I'd argue. Yes, he won in 2005 but the majority was slashed by 100 and history hasn't been kind. Heath staggered on until his demise at the hands of his own indecisiveness and Joe Gormley in early 74.

As for Iraq itself, opinion is mixed at best. The removal of Saddam wasn't the end of it and much of where we are today stems from the events of 2003 (and indeed 2001).

The only hope I can see is May getting the Deal through and then retiring next spring but where is the unifying figure in the Conservative Party and around what are they supposed to be unifying - making a Deal work to which many are vehemently opposed? The Referendum was supposed, as I understood it, to draw a line under Conservative internal divisions over Europe - today suggests that hasn't quite worked out as planned.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Sort it out in what way?

or

2. No Deal exit

or

3. A second referendum

Given that at least two of those outcomes are worse for the EU - and the third might well be, if the voters continue in their ornery mood - why the hell would they agree to an extension???
  • Options
    Brom said:

Blair is pushing the country towards no deal
    Nonsense.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Song,

"So, it all fails because we 'can't trust Europe'?
    Sorry mate, you're rationalising. "

I'm afraid so. You can trust the Labour party to put party first, as do the Tories. I keep harking back to the famous scene in the 'The Godfather' when I think of the EU. "Tell Mrs May, it's not personal, it's strictly business."

Why would the EU allow us to exit at our time of choosing and expect the other countries to accept us leaving and cherry-picking. Mrs May is either a naïve fool or the wisest person in Christendom. I fear the former.

• Options
    By the way we absolutely need to scotch this nonsense (repeated by the useless idiot Cable) that there only two alternatives: No Deal or a 2nd Referendum.

No. No. No.

There's a third, much better, option. A better deal.
  • Options

kle4 said:

So, if things fall apart, who leads the government of national unity?

Isn't TSE still between jobs?
    Gardening leave until May 2019.

Am specifically enjoined from taking gainful employment until then.

I suppose I could be PM without a salary.
    I've been, um, on "trainspotting leave" since the end of August. I think I should be transport secretary :)
    Well you couldn't be worse than Grayling (assuming he's still at Transport by this afternoon).
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Theresa May might not be the most inspiring character but she is a detail person, and there's no denying she is absolutely 100% immersed in the detail and complications of Brexit.

Give her credit for that. My eyes would've glazed over on page 1.
  • Options

Our membership of the EU has been largely a Tory project, from Macmillan to Heath to Thatcher to Major.
    The part people object to starts with Maastrict and up to Lisbon. So shared blame.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215

Cyclefree said:

And indeed Brexit. It seems inevitable that we will remain now

Err... no. It is inevitable that we crash out with No Deal.

No Deal is the default position. If we run out of time, or govts or referenda then we get No Deal.

Brexit is still on for March 29th
    Exactly. And with a Corbyn government. An utter disaster for the country.
    Time to start buying dry goods..... has your Cumbrian hideaway got a large pantry? Fish will be a good addition to your diet and all the cockles you can eat :)
    It does - and quite a lot of dried goods stored there already.

I cannot begin to tell you how incensed I am at the utter stupidity and frivolity and lack of seriousness of those playing games with the country's future right now.

I have not read the proposed deal and don't intend to. But from what I have read it seems to be broadly sensible given the parameters in which the government had to work. It is likely to be the best the EU will offer.

I would prefer to Remain given what I have seen of our politicians over the last two and a half years. Frankly, I am beginning to think that full-on membership (euro / Schengen / etc) may be best than the nit-picking tactical nonsense that has been going on for the last 40 years.

But if a Remain option is not available then better this deal than No Deal. And better that than chaos and a Corbyn government, whose default instincts I do not trust one little bit.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Cable is incapable of asking a question that May won't just swat away.
  • Options
    Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

And the previous referendum wasn't for what the EU turned into. Geez some people really are EU fanatics.
    For the record, I'm not a fan of the EU; I could live with it as it is, but do not like the direction it is heading in. I was going to vote leave, but the sheer inconsistencies and tone of the leave campaigns made me vote for the lesser evil of remain.

If that makes me an 'EU fanatic', so be it.

I could respond in kind, but as you're a new poster I'll let you off gently. ;)
  • Options
    I do love the combination of, essentially, 'we cannot trust the EU and compromise is appeasement' and 'oh we will get a better deal from the eu no problem,
  • Options

By the way we absolutely need to scotch this nonsense (repeated by the useless idiot Cable) that there only two alternatives: No Deal or a 2nd Referendum.

No. No. No.

Now that is a wonderful idea, if only the government had thought of it.
  • Options
    "We are making no plans for no Brexit" May tells Cable.

trololololo
  • Options
    DUP spokesman not messing about. "She does not listen"
  • Options
    Nigel Dodds

“She clearly doesn’t listen”

Some bridge burning going on.....
  • Options

trololololo

Why would we need to ? We're in the EU at the moment !
  • Options

No. No. No.

Ok. You have (maybe) a month to negotiate it, because it takes time to get it through both the EU and UK systems before March 29th.
  • Options

trololololo

What a complete moron.
  • Options

Her party know what to do then. Brady is presumably around, scribble a note to him.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Has anyone important (apart from Lord Falconer - but has he?) resigned yet?
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

trololololo

Completely overturning what she said to Corbyn less than half an hour ago, really?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2018
    TOPPING said:

1. is not going to get past the EU so you might as well take it off the list. Why do so many people think that the world revolves around the UK? The UK can't just "go back" to the EU and ask for this, that or the other.

Well we can go back and ask. Won't get it though.

The curious thing is the Brexiteers have got all hung up on the withdrawal agreement, but the actual draft declaration on the future relationship - which is after all what matters - looks rather good, better that I expected. Of course the devil will be in the detail, but it's encouraging, or would be if Brexiteers weren't hell-bent on trying to ensure Brexit is either a total disaster or never happens.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Yes, he's an utter prick and the level of delusion he displays every time he thinks he can still sway public opinion borders on insanity.

The point remains though, hard Remainers want to Remain. Or if they can't get it, they want a soft Brexit, with permanent CU+SM membership. They are hardly dancing on the tables about "well the EU might make it hard for us to leave the CU", even if that's (rightly) made hard Leavers very unhappy. It's a classic May worst-of-both-worlds solution.
  • Options
    Historians are going to have so much fun, trying to decipher exactly what it was made May so unique and special.

The only politician in my lifetime who every achieved the masterful political trait of pleasing none of the people, none of the time.
  • Options

No. No. No.

That depends on the EU seeing it is better to make some concessions than stick with what is on the table and suffer Hard Brexit. With a side order of Fuck-me-we-weren't-prepared-for-that!

What is better for the EU - a deal where the UK can escape after 5 years, or instant chaos?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

No. No. No.

Hey, want to buy a Unicorn? Or a bridge?
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Song,

"So, it all fails because we 'can't trust Europe'?
    Sorry mate, you're rationalising. "

I'm afraid so. You can trust the Labour party to put party first, as do the Tories. I keep harking back to the famous scene in the 'The Godfather' when I think of the EU. "Tell Mrs May, it's not personal, it's strictly business."

Why would the EU allow us to exit at our time of choosing and expect the other countries to accept us leaving and cherry-picking. Mrs May is either a naïve fool or the wisest person in Christendom. I fear the former.

Many people have pointed out that you can't pick and choose the benefits of a club, that's what Leavers wanted and it's still Labour Party policy.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

No Deal is the default position. If we run out of time, or govts or referenda then we get No Deal.

Time to start buying dry goods..... has your Cumbrian hideaway got a large pantry? Fish will be a good addition to your diet and all the cockles you can eat :)

I cannot begin to tell you how incensed I am at the utter stupidity and frivolity and lack of seriousness of those playing games with the country's future right now.

I have not read the proposed deal and don't intend to. But from what I have read it seems to be broadly sensible given the parameters in which the government had to work. It is likely to be the best the EU will offer.

I would prefer to Remain given what I have seen of our politicians over the last two and a half years. Frankly, I am beginning to think that full-on membership (euro / Schengen / etc) may be best than the nit-picking tactical nonsense that has been going on for the last 40 years.

But if a Remain option is not available then better this deal than No Deal. And better that than chaos and a Corbyn government, whose default instincts I do not trust one little bit.
    Agreed on every point.
  • Options

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

For the record, I'm not a fan of the EU; I could live with it as it is, but do not like the direction it is heading in. I was going to vote leave, but the sheer inconsistencies and tone of the leave campaigns made me vote for the lesser evil of remain.

But what was the alternative? Stay in the EU forever in a direction the majority don't want? or something else?

I'm honestly struggling to see what the best thing we should have done is.
  • Options

kle4 said:

There was a narrow window for the Conservatives to rescue something from the disaster of Brexit by getting behind this deal. Tim Montgomerie, of all people, saw that. These resigning ministers have been unbelievably foolish.

Turns out they actually believe no brexit is better than a bad brexit. I confess to being surprised.
    Brexit is collapsing on its internal contradictions. Leavers expended all their energy in working out what they were against without ever trying to work out what they were for.
    "Brexit has cost you your strength! Victory has defeatef you!"
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Her party know what to do then. Brady is presumably around, scribble a note to him.
    What?
  • Options

Historians are going to have so much fun, trying to decipher exactly what it was made May so unique and special.

The only politician in my lifetime who every achieved the masterful political trait of pleasing none of the people, none of the time.

And yet Brady STILL doesn’t have the letters.

They don’t like her, they don’t agree with her, they think she’s damaging the country (by agreeing a deal they believe damages the country) but they won’t get rid of her. It’s fascinating.
  • Options

Where is he?

Do you remember that scene in Pulp Fiction where Bruce Willis and Ving Rhames were tied up in the basement....?

Does Boris have a basement? :D
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

But what was the alternative? Stay in the EU forever in a direction the majority don't want? or something else?

Agree a national position then declare A50, negotiate from WTO to an eventual settlement
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    edited November 2018
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

The British state is in danger of self-destructing. This is the most serious political crisis to hit any major western country since 1945, only the Algerian crisis in France in the late 1950s comes close in terms of national trauma.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

I've not been this depressed in a long time. The timing of resignations when shape of if not precise details of the deal was long known, and labour prioritising a GE above all else, make clear how much partisan game playing is still going on.

There are good reasons to vote down a bad deal but they are all mostly pushing dishonest options on the simplicity of those options. It's infuriating.

I'm off to take an alcoholic beveridge for the first time in over a decade. Pleasant day all.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

The curious thing is the Brexiteers have got all hung up on the withdrawal agreement, but the actual draft declaration on the future relationship - which is after all what matters - looks rather good, better that I expected. Of course the devil will be in the detail, but it's encouraging, or would be if Brexiteers weren't hell-bent on trying to ensure Brexit is either a total disaster or never happens.
    Well, this is why the sequencing mattered. I don't think they have much belief that the EU will negotiate a FTA (and all the rest) in good faith.
  • Options
    Well, the day has been hugely entertaining so far, but alas, real life beckons so bye for now.

(Gathers all shopping bags and heads for Tesco)
  • Options

They don’t like her, they don’t agree with her, they think she’s damaging the country (by agreeing a deal they believe damages the country) but they won’t get rid of her. It’s fascinating.
    We don't know that. If he does, he'll contact everyone to check if they want to withdraw and schedule a statement. He might be doing the due diligence right now, for all we know. if May doesn't either make a massive hail mary gambit, or resign, I think a VONC will quickly become inevitable.

Also, we still don't know if the DUP's C&S supply deal with May is still extant. They haven't said.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

You don't go into a negotiation with that attitude.

Listen, it doesn't suit the EU for us to walk away with no deal. We can bargain with a better leader at the helm. We can be much much tougher with them on key issues.

And we'd win.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    The best hope of a future Corbyn government is total chaos. Why would Jezza and his playmates want to make Mrs May a hero of our times?
  • Options

It'd be counterproductive to get letters in if they think she'll survive the vote.
  • Options
    edited November 2018

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

The British state is in danger of self-destructing. This is the most serious political crisis to hit any major western country since 1945, only the Algerian crisis in France in the late 1950s comes close in terms of national trauma.
    it s serious for the Conservatives and they might well now split, the country will go happily on as it always does
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I have been very critical of May but she appears to have extracted a certain degree of cakeism from the EU in splitting elements of the single market from Freedom of Movement. No-one is noticing, though.

I think this can only be because they have wanted no deal all along, and playing along with negotiations to them say they aren't good enough, we seen as the surest path to no deal compared to arguing for it openly.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Listen, it doesn't suit the EU for us to walk away with no deal. We can bargain with a better leader at the helm. We can be much much tougher with them on key issues.

And we'd win.

Unicorns!

• Options
    Nigelb said:
    Haven't they been fighting from within all along? And this is the outcome. Nothing's going to change without Leavers taking back control from Remainer May and Olly Robbins.
  • Options

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Agree a national position then declare A50, negotiate from WTO to an eventual settlement
    Well I would agree with that and have absolutely no idea why they didn't do it.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Well, this is why the sequencing mattered. I don't think they have much belief that the EU will negotiate a FTA (and all the rest) in good faith.
    Agreeing to the EU sequencing was extremely unfortunate, but I don't know that there was any choice.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

TOPPING said:

Some people will never take Yes for an answer.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

Firstly, what is it like living next door to Spreadsheet Phil?

Secondly, do we know the number of letters? He has go to each scribe and confirm they want the letter to be used. This gives him the facility to manipulate the number of useable ones with the application of some pressure.
  • Options

Nigelb said:
    Haven't they been fighting from within all along? And this is the outcome. Nothing's going to change without Leavers taking back control from Remainer May and Olly Robbins.
    And then what
  • Options
    We're wargaming it in my office. My colleague (very anti Labour, anti Brexit would probably switch to remain now. He also thinks the Tories are going to get slaughtered if we do remain in a second ref. I don't think he's wrong.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Yvette Cooper makes a substantive and important point.
    It will never catch on.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited November 2018
    In other news the pound crumbles as do bank and insurance shares.......

We need a major shock at the moment. It's the only thing the Leave voters will notice.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    Pulpstar said:

We're wargaming it in my office. My colleague (very anti Labour, anti Brexit would probably switch to remain now. He also thinks the Tories are going to get slaughtered if we do remain in a second ref. I don't think he's wrong.

If he is anti Brexit that is hardly a switch?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,693

TOPPING said:

And we'd win.
    Unbelievable! Still some people cling to the myth that 'they need us more than we need them'.

A No Deal WTO crash-out, would hurt the EU... but not nearly as much as allowing the UK to continue to have the benefits of membership without the obligations. Nor would No Deal hurt the EU anything like as much as it will hurt the UK.
  • Options
    Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Who is 'we' ?

And that's the issue: 'we' as a nation are totally split wrt the EU. There are those who want to remain, the Eurosceptcis who quite like the idea but thing it's going a bit far, and the Europhobes. In between are a whole gamut of opinions and views, from xernophobic throw-out-the-furriners thugs to the join-the-Euro happy loons.

Even if you push and squeeze into various groups, there is not a majority for any one option, and too many people believe strongly that *their* view is the right one, and hence compromise is impossible.

The issue was that leave, in order to win, had to promise inconsistent things. And when they won, leavers saw *their* promise as the one that had to be delivered, even if it was different to another leavers'.

May's deal is a compromise. It may or may not be a messy one, but it is about the only compromise possible. Sadly, too many people are unwilling to compromise.
  • Options

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Another leaver sharing their infinite wisdom with us ...

Tell me, how the fuyck do we agree a 'national position' given the lies of the leave campaign?
  • Options
    Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Xenon said:

Well I would agree with that and have absolutely no idea why they didn't do it.
    posturing

• Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

I have been very critical of May but she appears to have extracted a certain degree of cakeism from the EU in splitting elements of the single market from Freedom of Movement. No-one is noticing, though.

That's the irony: after all this, it's a really good deal. The divorce bill a fraction of what it could have been, too.

The fantasists don't care though, whether Mogglodytes dreaming of the 1950s, or Corbynistas of their Venezuelan utopia. Both happy with a crash exit.
  • Options
    Jeremy Hunt watching his leadership ambitions going up in smoke.

Imagine his beady eyes being all sad as he realizes he may have missed the optimal resignation window.
This discussion has been closed.