Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Alastair Meeks reflects on last night’s events

Comments

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,366
    edited June 2017

Ironic that the youth made their voice heard send it's pensioners that will benefit. Triple lock will stay, social care will get binned, WFA probably stays too. And so do tuition fees.
    Febrile atmosphere incoming

Even if Corbyn did get his way with free tuition, da yuff would still end up paying for it in direct taxation (rather than a capped graduate tax that we have now). They think they are being offered a free lunch, but it isn't true.
    I doubt the 4 million who voted will see it that way.
    Well no, but that is the truth.

The whole narrative of uni fees is false, you here all these parents saying how am I going to pay (you don't), students saying how will I pay (though taxation just like the old days, just via a different method)...
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    chloe said:

kle4 said:

Chameleon said:

Roger said:

isam said:

Great post by Alastair but really he shouldn't feel so down on himself.

No-one could possibly have foreseen that Labour surge, or imagined that Corbyn would be such an amazingly good campaigner.

Plenty of people said Corbyn could enthuse voters, not least Peter Hitchens

"Do not underestimate Jeremy Corbyn. Labour’s Blairites lie dead and dying all over the place because they made that mistake. Tory Blairites such as David Cameron might be wise to learn from this, especially given last week’s dismal, shrinking manufacturing and export figures, which were pushed far away from front pages by other stories, but which cast doubt on the vaunted recovery.

If (like me) you have attended any of Mr Corbyn’s overflowing campaign meetings, you will have seen the hunger – among the under-30s and the over-50s especially – for principled, grown-up politics instead of public relations pap."

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2015/09/labour-has-a-real-leftyso-can-we-have-proper-conservatives.html
    How surprising. A seriously perceptive article by Hitchins
    How to retoxify the Tories: a routemap.
    They are already retoxified.
    With more votes than they received in decades?
    She needs to be seeen to listen and change tact on Brexit.
    Yes.

It was suggested by some that we need a new election, but fuck that. It will be very very hard to govern moving forward, but it is what it is, and they all need to make it work. A national government is a non starter, there's not much incentive for others to join it, and though Tories might hope for a majority if they had another election, more likely they'd lose (as they'd need a new manifesto, while Labour have one that is provably popular that is good to go), and in any case we need to get a move on with a lot of things.

Staying in power with a minority and DUP backing will probably mean a Labour landslide in 2022, but they may well need to take that hit for the country. 12 years in power is a good run anyway. And to last that 12 years, the Tory hardliners will need to accept that, among other factors, a less strident tone on Brexit made advances, and given it had support in their own ranks too, it is the probable most popular option.

Soft brexit, whatever that even means, may well be a mirage, but it is a mirage that currently needs to be aimed for to see if it is possible or not, otherwise the numbers don't support a government.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314
    DanSmith said:

Sandpit said:

William_H said:

Corbyn's strategy of looking for large crowds rather than focusing specifically on target seats is vindicated?

Do you think other leaders will adopt it in future? Would it even work for other leaders?

It's amazing (and a little sad) that a manifesto full of free owls and free university, without a clue how it would be all paid for, was allowed to go almost completely unchallenged.

Of course free stuff is popular, but to be honest I thought we were better than that as a nation.
    You were awake during the EU Referendum yeah?
    Hell yeah! No matter what we think of this or any government, at least we can for for or against them. No-one voted for Drunker and no-one can get rid of him, that's not democracy.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Good day all.

Let's spare a thought for the other losers last night, the Scottish Greens

https://twitter.com/kevverage/status/873103795328229379
  • midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    MaxPB said:

MikeL said:

It could be argued that if Con can be this near a majority with a terrible leader and a disastrous manifesto, then with a new attractive leader and retail policies then they might get a majority.

No, we can't risk it. We have to now play the hand we've been dealt.
    Agreed. But we do need a new different leader with some passion and who actually gives us motivation to vote for them. I voted for May but only to stop Corbyn and would hazard a guess I'm far from unique.
  • MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    EDW20000 said:

Juncker turning the screw

Turning the cork screw.
    jonny83 said:

Nice tribute to Clegg by Farron

A man who knows about difficult choices in the national interest. No coalition is coming, of course, but we will need people willing to take difficult decisions even at the cost of electoral consequences later.
  • ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,843
    jonny83 said:

Nice tribute to Clegg by Farron

Thinking about it further, Clegg losing may be good overall for the LDs. the last vestiges of coalition toxicity are gone, tactical voting back to the fore. At the same Clegg can join Balls on the rehabilitation front - he has been served his 'punishment', now he is on the road to recovery.
    No idea what Nicola is about to announce, but...

https://twitter.com/dsandersontimes/status/873057600966844422
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,969

Will any Tories be brave enough to refuse cabinet seats or call on May to go to her face?

They have to - If TM clings on it will be like John Major carrying on after Black Wednesday + 100.
  • JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    glw said:

SeanT said:

Inter Alia, The massive vote for Corbyn also shows that voters aren't THAT fussed about immigration.

They aren't that fussed about deficit, or debt, or defending the country. Just jam the gold into their mouthes.
    It wasn't the voters that abandoned austerity, it was the Tory party when they embraced Brexit fantasy economics.

nunu said:

MikeL said:

It could be argued that if Con can be this near a majority with a terrible leader and a disastrous manifesto, then with a new attractive leader and retail policies then they might get a majority.

er...which is what Cameron did and was.
    Indeed. If the Tories had any sense they'd be begging him to come back on hands and knees.
    Does anyone seriously doubt he would have slaughtered Corbyn. Only lobotomy candidates.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    edited June 2017
    Chameleon said:

Roger said:

isam said:

No-one could possibly have foreseen that Labour surge, or imagined that Corbyn would be such an amazingly good campaigner.

"Do not underestimate Jeremy Corbyn. Labour’s Blairites lie dead and dying all over the place because they made that mistake. Tory Blairites such as David Cameron might be wise to learn from this, especially given last week’s dismal, shrinking manufacturing and export figures, which were pushed far away from front pages by other stories, but which cast doubt on the vaunted recovery.

If (like me) you have attended any of Mr Corbyn’s overflowing campaign meetings, you will have seen the hunger – among the under-30s and the over-50s especially – for principled, grown-up politics instead of public relations pap."

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2015/09/labour-has-a-real-leftyso-can-we-have-proper-conservatives.html
    44% of the vote is hardly toxified just 2 party politics is back hence Labour also up
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,264
    Haha, good line by Farron.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 38,159

Will any Tories be brave enough to refuse cabinet seats or call on May to go to her face?

I think they will only agree if she agrees to jump in 10 days and trigger a leadership election, tbh, the party may just no confidence her with Graham Brady.

In other news, I have renewed my party membership after letting it lapse earlier this year when I realised how awful Theresa was. Time to look forwards and make the best of it I think,
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Sandpit said:

William_H said:

Corbyn's strategy of looking for large crowds rather than focusing specifically on target seats is vindicated?

Do you think other leaders will adopt it in future? Would it even work for other leaders?

It's amazing (and a little sad) that a manifesto full of free owls and free university, without a clue how it would be all paid for, was allowed to go almost completely unchallenged.

Of course free stuff is popular, but to be honest I thought we were better than that as a nation.
    Wrong way round. Labour's manifesto was costed. The Conservative one was not, though as Theresa May ditched half of it in the first week then never mentioned it again, perhaps it does not matter so much.
    These are the moment the politicians need to earn their money, and for political parties to prove their worth - they have visions, and enforce discipline, both of which are needed at times of crisis and uncertainty rather than every MP for themselves, and it is for times like this that the senior figures needs to take hard, practical action, quickly, setting out a new approach for the country.
    Farron on coalition "No deal is better than a bad deal"
  • midwinter said:

MaxPB said:

MikeL said:

No, we can't risk it. We have to now play the hand we've been dealt.
    Agreed. But we do need a new different leader with some passion and who actually gives us motivation to vote for them. I voted for May but only to stop Corbyn and would hazard a guess I'm far from unique.
    +1
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,102
    Roger said:

tyson said:

Roger said:

isam said:

I'm eating so much humble pie with my Corbyn mates......
    He grows on you slowly. I wouldn't have voted for him until the last week when he suddenly transformed into someone modern and revolutionary and I could see what all the fuss was about. Che with a smile.
    I got his appeal too....late in the day...it was watching the QT audience that did it for me,.,.,.

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

Roger said:

isam said:

44% of the vote is hardly toxified just 2 party politics is back hence Labour also up
    Yeah, but if the Conservatives become social conservatives again then they will be very toxic.
    Scott_P said:

Good one Tim!
  • chloechloe Posts: 308
    GIN1138 said:

They have to - If TM clings on it will be like John Major carrying on after Black Wednesday + 100.
    It is untenable and why hasn't she said anything yet?
  • DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    MaxPB said:

I think they will only agree if she agrees to jump in 10 days and trigger a leadership election, tbh, the party may just no confidence her with Graham Brady.

In other news, I have renewed my party membership after letting it lapse earlier this year when I realised how awful Theresa was. Time to look forwards and make the best of it I think,
    Get a good leader in and the Tories should win a majority next election.
  • nunu said:

MikeL said:

Quite.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,594
    Excellent piece Alistair. I chastise myself. I should have seen this coming for three reasons:

1) Throughout her entire career, I've regarded May as Britain's worst politician - a droning dud who only ever answers perfectly reasonable question with irrelevant boilerplate.

2) After the Dementia Tax debacle I met some relatives - normally unimpeachably loyal Tories - who were utterly withering. This should have been a straw in the wind.

3) The reasoning that the young won't turn out for Jezza because they never do was completely circular: the young hadn't turned out previously simply because they'd never before had anyone like jezza.

But I bought in to the narrative that Martin Boon was a genius, because I stupidly failed to see that those declaring him a genius just liked what he was saying. I'm an idiot.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    kle4 said:

So the people have returned a result which is complicated, confused and uncertain, without a perfect storm where the numbers don't quite stack up for either side, and we are reliant on the professionalism and non-partisanship of our politicians to seem some way forward from all this. Oops.

Worst thing is, I also lost money on this!

In other words she asked a supid question and she got a stupid answer.

• SaltireSaltire Posts: 525

TGOHF said:

Peter A Smith‏ @PeterAdamSmith 2m2 minutes ago
    More
    For 1st time since Sturgeon became FM, I now hear SNP members question direction she's taking the party. Not a coup; more an alarm sounding.

I'm not sure if the fact that Salmond lost his seat make Sturgeon safer or more at risk. He's also been cut down so no obvious waiting in the wings moment, yet he is certainly now going to be looking for a way to become an MSP and leader again.
    There will be a couple of By-elections with MSP becoming MPs in few months. Not that Salmond will want to stand and lose again.
    Think Sturgeon is safe in the short term but the focus will be on Holyrood and the delivery of Health and Education. If the SNP continue to fail in those areas and the opinion polls show a further eroding of support then she will be out in a couple of years. Too many MSPs will be worried about 2021 for it not to happen.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,318

Sandpit said:

William_H said:

Wrong way round. Labour's manifesto was costed. The Conservative one was not, though as Theresa May ditched half of it in the first week then never mentioned it again, perhaps it does not matter so much.
    Anyone can write numbers on a .pdf document.
  • DevonblueDevonblue Posts: 6
    "No deal is better than a bad deal". Farron rules out pact with Tories. Best speech he's made.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    I just wish I had been more vocal and trenchant in my criticism of Theresa May before the election.
  • nunununu Posts: 6,024
    jonny83 said:

Well she is no Thatcher, even if the percentage of the vote is similar.

She wouldn't even be allowed to hold Thatchers handbag.
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,867

Has May actually bothered speaking to Farron about Confidence & Supply?

Why jump straight to the DUP?

What does she have to offer?
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Strong statement from Farron.

Difficult to disagree with any of it.
  • DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Sandpit said:

William_H said:

Anyone can write numbers on a .pdf document.
    Not the Conservative Party, apparently.
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,126
    edited June 2017

Labour need to get behind Corbyn and agree to serve in his shadow cabinet. Corbyn himself is clearly not toxic, and imagine if he wasn't forced to rely on people like Burgon or Abbott. A Corbyn led party with people like Umuna and Yvette in cabinet could see a Labour majority at the next election (which will almost certainly be before 2022).

Yvette definitely. Chuka not sure about. I'd rather bring in Liz Kendall tbh.
    The fact that Corbyn is now behind official policy on trident surely shows he I willing to compromise.
  • Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,067
    Random thoughts:

Cameron could never have dreamed that his record for a PM's quickest fall from grace would be beaten so quickly.

The DUP have said they'll support the Tories against Labour for as long as Lab leadership is led by people tainted with IRA 'history'.

Tories can't afford a second election until they can come together under a more inspiring leader who can carry both wings of the party with him/her.

Tracey Crouch needs to start touring the TV studios asap (500-1 bet cough)

Huge Tory vote share means actually how can they go in to an election hoping to score more, if boundary reforms are dead then presume retail offers needed now to buy-off the youf as well as the grey vote.

Social care reform, much needed but once again kicked in to the long grass.

Can Ruth be a Deputy PM?
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

I just wish I had been more vocal and trenchant in my criticism of Theresa May before the election.

Like when you enthusiastically supported her for PM?
    JackW said:

Strong statement from Farron.

Difficult to disagree with any of it.

@DPJHodges: Tim Farron giving his best speech of the campaign 24 hours to late.
    May's position is completely untenable, if she clings on her poll ratings will go south very quickly.

LOL!
  • DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Yet again Nate Silver made a good point with the polls. Most of them were adjusting their raw data to a huge extent, should have raised more alarm bells.
    JonathanD said:

glw said:

SeanT said:

Inter Alia, The massive vote for Corbyn also shows that voters aren't THAT fussed about immigration.

They aren't that fussed about deficit, or debt, or defending the country. Just jam the gold into their mouthes.
    It wasn't the voters that abandoned austerity, it was the Tory party when they embraced Brexit fantasy economics.

It's the illusion that because the nation voted for Brexit they would flock to a right wing Tory party that was so deranged. For most people in many walks of life it was a periphery issue until the referendum. Unfortunately they never learn. Imbeciles. One effing majority since 1992 and because it's achieved under a leader they don't consider sound they not only boot him out but lose their majority within 2 years. It truly beggars belief.
    This piece looks good in hindsight

There’s a danger that we’re underestimating the Labour leader

Outside of the Corbynites, the idée reçue amongst most of us is that Jeremy Corbyn leading Labour at a general election is going to lead Labour to experiencing an extinction level electoral defeat. On my most charitable days I’ll say Jeremy Corbyn has only two flaws, everything he says, and everything he does, but I’m going to challenge that perception and defend Jeremy Corbyn.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/08/30/in-praise-of-jeremy-corbyn/
    In the end it was anti austerity which sent the largest protest vote as Corbyn made clear in his speech was the main reason for the increased Labour voteshare, coupled with anti 'dementia tax' not anti Brexit given the fact the LDs saw no real surge
  • nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Devonblue said:

"No deal is better than a bad deal". Farron rules out pact with Tories. Best speech he's made.

Did he say that? LOL.
    DanSmith said:

MaxPB said:

Labour is well on course to win the next election whenever it comes.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228
    A few thoughts on last night and especially the LibDems:

1. There were some really stupid "LibDems gain [x]" calls during the night. Vauxhall: wasn't close. Witney: they were third. Were people trying to move betting prices through outright lying?

2. The LibDems are no longer toxic and people will vote tactically for them.

3. The LibDems nearly ended up on 16. St Ives was my value loser of the night, in Fife NE they lose by TWO votes. Ceredgion and Richmond Park were also terrifically close.

4. The focus on Remainia worked in SW London, in Bath and in OxWAb. It was a disaster in many parts of the West Country.

5. The LibDems vote share was down meaningfully on 2015. Running the election campaign as 20 by-elections worked for keeping seats, but the LDs went backwards on their dreadful 2015 result.

6. Alistair Carmichael got 20% fewer votes than the LD candidates in the Holyrood election got. He still outpolled the SNP almost 2-1. It was never close.
    SNP sounding keen on working with Lab. Did the LDs rule it out (would be a horrible mistake)?
  • Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Biggest * up of all time!

Looking forward to another election in autumn :lol:

Like when you enthusiastically supported her for PM?
    When the alternative was Andrea Leadsom, then it was a no brainer.
    edited June 2017

Random thoughts:

Cameron could never have dreamed that his record for a PM's quickest fall from grace would be beaten so quickly.

The DUP have said they'll support the Tories against Labour for as long as Lab leadership is led by people tainted with IRA 'history'.

Tories can't afford a second election until they can come together under a more inspiring leader who can carry both wings of the party with him/her.

Huge Tory vote share means actually how can they go in to an election hoping to score more, if boundary reforms are dead then presume retail offers needed now to buy-off the youf as well as the grey vote.

Can Ruth be a Deputy PM?

Just a point about the yuff vs the oldies. Wasn't it that Kim Jong May lost her massive lead with the middle age bracket the killer? When she was miles ahead in the polls, Jezza was still winning massively with the yuff, but May was walking it was anybody over 35. One of the last polls showed May was only winning with the oldies by the end and all those below pension age had sided with Jezza.

Might be worth exploring the reasons why that was the case?
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,126

Random thoughts:

Excellent observations.
    The DUP stance does make me chuckle...
    Are they aware that Sinn Fein and the IRA have history also?
    nunu said:

Devonblue said:

Did he say that? LOL.
    DanSmith said:

MaxPB said:

Labour is well on course to win the next election whenever it comes.
    Not with 44% of the country and over 300 seats against them, Labour will be a strong opposition now that does not mean the country wants them in government
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216

You weren't a fan?

Who knew?
  • chloechloe Posts: 308
    HYUFD said:

In the end it was anti austerity which sent the largest protest vote as Corbyn made clear in his speech was the main reason for the increased Labour voteshare, coupled with anti 'dementia tax' not anti Brexit given the fact the LDs saw no real surge

I think it was partly Brexit too.
    rcs1000 said:

1. There were some really stupid "LibDems gain [x]" calls during the night. Vauxhall: wasn't close. Witney: they were third. Were people trying to move betting prices through outright lying?

3. The LibDems nearly ended up on 16. St Ives was my value loser of the night, in Fife NE they lose by TWO votes. Ceredgion and Richmond Park were also terrifically close.

4. The focus on Remainia worked in SW London, in Bath and in OxWAb. It was a disaster in many parts of the West Country.

5. The LibDems vote share was down meaningfully on 2015. Running the election campaign as 20 by-elections worked for keeping seats, but the LDs went backwards on their dreadful 2015 result.

6. Alistair Carmichael got 20% fewer votes than the LD candidates in the Holyrood election got. He still outpolled the SNP almost 2-1. It was never close.

I'm not sure whether it was a good result, or a bad result for the LDs.
    Nicola giving a victory speech.

What is wrong with this picture...
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,102
    DanSmith said:

MaxPB said:

Isn't that what May tried and failed.........??

The Tories will cling on to power knowing full well that the next election will result in PM Corbyn......

Corbyn now has momentum, he is no longer toxic, and Labour will unify.....and he obviously loves being leader......

• Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    nielh said:

nielh said:

Any thoughts on a second Brexit referendum? Wth youth vote fired up and registered, would sure be 55/45 Remain?

I am a die-hard Remainer but even I believe that there is no way we can have a second referendum. We are such damaged goods now that the EU is well rid of us. This country is practically schizophrenic towards Europe.
    I think this is unresolved business.
    Definitely!
    nielh said:

If there was a clear shift in public opinion, I think they would probably want us back but they would want a closer relationship.

If I was them I would (probably) want us in Schengen and (definitely) in the Euro.

nielh said:

It may just be that Brexit is reversed, not an impossible outcome by any means, but not one that I consider immediately likely.

I cannot see how that can happen.
    Soft Brexit is more likely but the FOM issue will not be resolved to anyones satisfaction.
    No FOM = No soft Brexit

The EU will not compromise on its four freedoms.
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760

She was doing fine before the election, it's what she did in the past 7 weeks that was the problem. I refuse to believe she couldn't have done better, unfortunately she must take the blame for the advice she took and believing she didn't need the help of some of the big beasts.

Random thoughts:

Can Ruth be a Deputy PM?

Just a point about the yuff vs the oldies. Wasn't it that Kim Jong May lost her massive lead with the middle age bracket the killer? When she was miles ahead in the polls, Jezza was still winning massively with the yuff, but May was walking it was anybody over 35. One of the last polls showed May was only winning with the oldies by the end.
    Quite the achievement to manage to offend every single age group in 7 weeks.
  • spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,450

This piece looks good in hindsight

There’s a danger that we’re underestimating the Labour leader

Outside of the Corbynites, the idée reçue amongst most of us is that Jeremy Corbyn leading Labour at a general election is going to lead Labour to experiencing an extinction level electoral defeat. On my most charitable days I’ll say Jeremy Corbyn has only two flaws, everything he says, and everything he does, but I’m going to challenge that perception and defend Jeremy Corbyn.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/08/30/in-praise-of-jeremy-corbyn/

The thing is that he's proven to be an effective campaigner but a useless leader. Had he taken his party with him over the last 18 months he'd have won the referendum for remain and this election.
  • MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Chameleon said:

May's position is completely untenable, if she clings on her poll ratings will go south very quickly.

She has to go.
    I think we've witnessed a democratic miracle. We were offered an agonizing choice between May and Corbyn but providence has intervened.
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,384
    Saltire said:

TGOHF said:

More
    For 1st time since Sturgeon became FM, I now hear SNP members question direction she's taking the party. Not a coup; more an alarm sounding.

I'm not sure if the fact that Salmond lost his seat make Sturgeon safer or more at risk. He's also been cut down so no obvious waiting in the wings moment, yet he is certainly now going to be looking for a way to become an MSP and leader again.
    There will be a couple of By-elections with MSP becoming MPs in few months. Not that Salmond will want to stand and lose again.
    No, there won't be any such by-elections. There was one last night, won by the Tories, after a constituency MSP stood and won as an MP.
    All the other MSPs who won were list MSPs, when the next on the list moves up to take their place. The Tories in North-East Scotland were so successful that if all their new MPs resign as MSPs they run out of list! The alternative is double-jobbing.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    Scott_P said:

NOW he's making good speeches?
    @JamieRoss7: "The reckless Tory pursuit of a hard Brexit must be abandoned," says Sturgeon. Urges MPs of all parties to back single market membership.

What about her reckless pursuit of Indy?

Chameleon said:

She has to go.
    I think we've witnessed a democratic miracle. We were offered an agonizing choice between May and Corbyn but providence has intervened.
    Yes, I did say yesterday that this would be near an ideal result, assuming that it would lead to another vote.
    DanSmith said:

Yet again Nate Silver made a good point with the polls. Most of them were adjusting their raw data to a huge extent, should have raised more alarm bells.

If they had just kept reporting the raw figures they would of looked pretty good. Suppose they have to justify the fee by messing around with the figures.
    Not as if parties massage the figures of their own canvassing to get a more accurate picture.
    midwinter said:

nunu said:

MikeL said:

Indeed. If the Tories had any sense they'd be begging him to come back on hands and knees.
    Does anyone seriously doubt he would have slaughtered Corbyn. Only lobotomy candidates.
    The vote was an anti austerity vote as much as anything, Cameron would not have got as many Kippers though he would have held more centrists and Corbyn even led him in one or 2 polls. I think Boris is the only leader who would have done better
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/BradenDavy/status/873112046807666688/photo/1
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118

Excellent piece Alistair. I chastise myself. I should have seen this coming for three reasons:

1) Throughout her entire career, I've regarded May as Britain's worst politician - a droning dud who only ever answers perfectly reasonable question with irrelevant boilerplate.

2) After the Dementia Tax debacle I met some relatives - normally unimpeachably loyal Tories - who were utterly withering. This should have been a straw in the wind.

3) The reasoning that the young won't turn out for Jezza because they never do was completely circular: the young hadn't turned out previously simply because they'd never before had anyone like jezza.

But I bought in to the narrative that Martin Boon was a genius, because I stupidly failed to see that those declaring him a genius just liked what he was saying. I'm an idiot.

I banged on and on about how Opinion Polls should exclude the politically engaged... Someone ( @viewcode ?) pointed out YouGov were doing that all along, and I didn't pounce!

I had two bets at the start, Labour to hold Dagenham and UKIP to get less than 10%.. both came in and I lost a couple of grand somehow!
    This is exactly right - Alastair is speaking for a lot of us here but already these opiners are out again on what to do next.

https://twitter.com/Birdyword/status/873131220611321856
    edited June 2017
    Anyway, having been up for far too long all day and night, I've grabbed a few hours sleep, but thought I'd pop on as I'll likely give PB a bit of a break from my ramblings for a bit, and wouldn't want people to think that just because I was so very very wrong about things that I was too embarrassed to show my face :)

Congratulations to Corbyn and well done young people, and others, for turning out; very tough times are ahead now (not that things were simple before) and I do think things will get worse before they get better, but let us see Corbyn and May and the rest actually do their jobs and lead this nation. That doesn't mean I expect them to join hands and sing Kumbaya, but the government needs to get smarter and more cautious about what it tries to do, and the opposition, flush with momentum and thoughts of a win in 2022 to look forward to, need to do the same when they challenge what the government is doing as well. Brinkmanship is popular, but everyone needs to be grown ups now.

I hope they are up to it.

And now back to more pleasant matters, the realms of fiction: I'm reading 'Wool' by Hugh Howey - so far it is about a world of scarcity and a hostile outside environment, where the established order is breaking down into chaos as factions battle for control and the very survival of their world is at stake. Seems far fetched :)
    HIGNFY tonight will be good. Would be even better if they had Osbourne, Clegg and Balls on the panel.
  • MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    Brom said:

She was doing fine before the election, it's what she did in the past 7 weeks that was the problem. I refuse to believe she couldn't have done better, unfortunately she must take the blame for the advice she took and believing she didn't need the help of some of the big beasts.
    I'd be fascinated to know how much wonk-power and focus grouping etc was put into their manifesto, let alone critical input from experienced Tory politicians.

Suspect the answer is "back of a fag packet".
    chloe said:

HYUFD said:

I think it was partly Brexit too.
    Only in some staunch Remain areas, the fact the Tories made some gains in Leave areas in any case counteracts that
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

It's a mystery ....

This is exactly right - Alastair is speaking for a lot of us here but already these opiners are out again on what to do next.

https://twitter.com/Birdyword/status/873131220611321856

That's what being a pundit is all about. You're not a prognosticator, if you also happen to prognosticate; you're a commentator, and the key is confidence, no matter what!
    Scott_P said:

And whining on about education and health in Scotland. This was a UK election, and she just lost more than a third of her seats!
    edited June 2017

Brom said:

I'd be fascinated to know how much wonk-power and focus grouping etc was put into their manifesto, let alone critical input from experienced Tory politicians.

Suspect the answer is "back of a fag packet".
    There is no way that manifesto was properly focus grouped...for starters no Tory / Tory leaners on here thought it was any good at all (and that is being generous).
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    rcs1000 said:

I was on that Fife one too! Actually backed more winners than losers, but Betfair Sportbook restricted me so much on the winners it barely made a difference! They were laying £25 on the winners and the betting shops were laying £200 on the losers!
    kle4 said:

Anyway, having been up for far too long all day and night, I've grabbed a few hours sleep, but thought I'd pop on as I'll likely give PB a bit of a break from my ramblings for a bit, and wouldn't want people to think that just because I was so very very wrong about things that I was too embarrassed to show my face :)

Congratulations to Corbyn and well done young people, and others, for turning out; very tough times are ahead now (not that things were simple before) and I do think things will get worse before they get better, but let us see Corbyn and May and the rest actually do their jobs and lead this nation. That doesn't mean I expect them to join hands and sing Kumbaya, but the government needs to get smarter and more cautious about what it tries to do, and the opposition, flush with momentum and thoughts of a win in 2022 to look forward to, need to do the same when they challenge what the government is doing as well. Brinkmanship is popular, but everyone needs to be grown ups now.

And now back to more pleasant matters, the realms of fiction: I'm reading 'Wool' by Hugh Howey - so far it is about a world of scarcity and a hostile outside environment, where the established order is breaking down into chaos as factions battle for control and the very survival of their world is at stake. Seems far fetched :)

We don't need a break from your ramblings.
    Chameleon said:

HYUFD said:

Chameleon said:

Roger said:

isam said:

Yeah, but if the Conservatives become social conservatives again then they will be very toxic.
    They are not going to reverse gay marriage but 44% voted for the Tory platform
    @wallaceme: Nicola Sturgeon says that as she got most votes and seats she won the election, and as Theresa May got most votes and seats she has lost.
  • Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Jack - at
    JackW said:

It's a mystery ....
    Jack - are you joining me in giving up projections? :lol:
    PM off to see Her Majesty.

Saltire said:

TGOHF said:

More

No, there won't be any such by-elections. There was one last night, won by the Tories, after a constituency MSP stood and won as an MP.
    All the other MSPs who won were list MSPs, when the next on the list moves up to take their place. The Tories in North-East Scotland were so successful that if all their new MPs resign as MSPs they run out of list! The alternative is double-jobbing.
    Sorry your are right, I thought that the one of the NE gains was made by a constituency MSP.
    edited June 2017
    Sandpit said:

PM off to see Her Majesty.

I don't think she will be purring this morning. Wouldn't be surprised is she told May, I am getting too old for this shit.
  • jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,269
    Oh to be a fly on the wall when May meets Her Maj. Publicly she has to stay out of Politics but privately she does hold views and is not afraid to air them. Lot of ex PM's say that.
    edited June 2017
    There's no way she'll be able to get the great repeal bill through The House of Commons

Edit - Or through the Lords.

Random thoughts:

Can Ruth be a Deputy PM?

Just a point about the yuff vs the oldies. Wasn't it that Kim Jong May lost her massive lead with the middle age bracket the killer? When she was miles ahead in the polls, Jezza was still winning massively with the yuff, but May was walking it was anybody over 35. One of the last polls showed May was only winning with the oldies by the end and all those below pension age had sided with Jezza.

Might be worth exploring the reasons why that was the case?
    Threat to their inheritances re the middle aged?
    @paulhutcheon: Senior Nat source criticises FM for not taking sting out of the #indyref2 issue: "It's not good enough."
    jonny83 said:

Oh to be a fly on the wall when May meets Her Maj. Publicly she has to stay out of Politics but privately she does hold views and is not afraid to air them. Lot of ex PM's say that.

I suspect she'll take May to buck her ideas up and to get out.
    HYUFD said:

midwinter said:

nunu said:

MikeL said:

The vote was an anti austerity vote as much as anything, Cameron would not have got as many Kippers though he would have held more centrists and Corbyn even led him in one or 2 polls. I think Boris is the only leader who would have done better
    The results in London, Reading, Canterbury to an extent and many other close shaves in Remain areas were entirely due to Brexit. Many of those areas have affluent populations.
    Corbyn led him in a couple of polls before UKIP went South. I'd also point out the Tories had poll leads of up to 8 percent under Cameron even in the run up to the referendum.
    I'd respectfully say that in a 2 horse race IDS would have struggled to do worse than May.
    Cameron would have been double figures ahead.
    Scott_P said:

@wallaceme: Nicola Sturgeon says that as she got most votes and seats she won the election, and as Theresa May got most votes and seats she has lost.

I've really grown to dislike Sturgeon over the last year. Before I admired her even as I feared her.

kle4 said:

We don't need a break from your ramblings.
    Kind of you to say - but I probably need a break. :)

Do people think this would be a good time to admit to my exulting Corbynite relatives that I voted Tory? Granted, they got fewer votes, but they are closer to feeling victorious than the Tories, so might be more inclined to treat the news magnanimously.
    LOL! Sky's helicopter being chased away from Buck House by a police chopper.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    Congratulations to Labour and Corbyn. They now find themselves in a very interesting and strong position, just as the country appears hopelessly split. And congratulations to all the new MPs of all parties - I hope you serve your constituents and the country well.

Will politics ever get boring again? We've had year after year of weird, barely predictable events, and it looks as though that trend is continuing.
    jonny83 said:

Hopefully Her Maj will have some cogent advice on how to deal with a crisis!
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    edited June 2017
    Scott_P said:

I suppose if Tessy had won a majority of seats she could say she'd won the election that she called.
    But since she didn't, she can't.
This discussion has been closed.