Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Alastair Meeks reflects on last night’s events

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,858
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

@wallaceme: Nicola Sturgeon says that as she got most votes and seats she won the election, and as Theresa May got most votes and seats she has lost.

I've really grown to dislike Sturgeon over the last year. Before I admired her even as I feared her.

kle4 said:

Anyway, having been up for far too long all day and night, I've grabbed a few hours sleep, but thought I'd pop on as I'll likely give PB a bit of a break from my ramblings for a bit, and wouldn't want people to think that just because I was so very very wrong about things that I was too embarrassed to show my face :)

Congratulations to Corbyn and well done young people, and others, for turning out; very tough times are ahead now (not that things were simple before) and I do think things will get worse before they get better, but let us see Corbyn and May and the rest actually do their jobs and lead this nation. That doesn't mean I expect them to join hands and sing Kumbaya, but the government needs to get smarter and more cautious about what it tries to do, and the opposition, flush with momentum and thoughts of a win in 2022 to look forward to, need to do the same when they challenge what the government is doing as well. Brinkmanship is popular, but everyone needs to be grown ups now.

I hope they are up to it.

And now back to more pleasant matters, the realms of fiction: I'm reading 'Wool' by Hugh Howey - so far it is about a world of scarcity and a hostile outside environment, where the established order is breaking down into chaos as factions battle for control and the very survival of their world is at stake. Seems far fetched :)

We don't need a break from your ramblings.
    Kind of you to say - but I probably need a break. :)

Do people think this would be a good time to admit to my exulting Corbynite relatives that I voted Tory? Granted, they got fewer votes, but they are closer to feeling victorious than the Tories, so might be more inclined to treat the news magnanimously.
    No, don't, they'll spend the next few years alternating between trying to convert you to the Corbyn cause or calling you Tory scum.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,446
    kle4 said:

jonny83 said:

Oh to be a fly on the wall when May meets Her Maj. Publicly she has to stay out of Politics but privately she does hold views and is not afraid to air them. Lot of ex PM's say that.

Hopefully Her Maj will have some cogent advice on how to deal with a crisis!
    Make Prince Harry PM, he couldn't be any worse....
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited June 2017

Sandpit said:

PM off to see Her Majesty.

I don't think she will be purring this morning. Wouldn't be surprised is she told May, I am getting too old for this shit.
    :lol: - If the interview was with Princess Anne, I expect that’s exactly what she'd say.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,205
    edited June 2017

Scott_P said:

@wallaceme: Nicola Sturgeon says that as she got most votes and seats she won the election, and as Theresa May got most votes and seats she has lost.

I suppose if Tessy had won a majority of seats she could say she'd won the election she called.
    But since she didn't, she can't.
    It's a fine distinction, but valid, although prize goes to whoever can command a majority even if they fall short of one entirely on their own, as Holyrood shows. The largest is still the closest to winning the actual goal of a majority, even if the fell short of a proper victory.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Hills has just settled my last bet: 10/1 against NOM and turnover above 65%.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

I've really grown to dislike Sturgeon over the last year. Before I admired her even as I feared her.

kle4 said:

Anyway, having been up for far too long all day and night, I've grabbed a few hours sleep, but thought I'd pop on as I'll likely give PB a bit of a break from my ramblings for a bit, and wouldn't want people to think that just because I was so very very wrong about things that I was too embarrassed to show my face :)

Congratulations to Corbyn and well done young people, and others, for turning out; very tough times are ahead now (not that things were simple before) and I do think things will get worse before they get better, but let us see Corbyn and May and the rest actually do their jobs and lead this nation. That doesn't mean I expect them to join hands and sing Kumbaya, but the government needs to get smarter and more cautious about what it tries to do, and the opposition, flush with momentum and thoughts of a win in 2022 to look forward to, need to do the same when they challenge what the government is doing as well. Brinkmanship is popular, but everyone needs to be grown ups now.

And now back to more pleasant matters, the realms of fiction: I'm reading 'Wool' by Hugh Howey - so far it is about a world of scarcity and a hostile outside environment, where the established order is breaking down into chaos as factions battle for control and the very survival of their world is at stake. Seems far fetched :)

Kind of you to say - but I probably need a break. :)

Do people think this would be a good time to admit to my exulting Corbynite relatives that I voted Tory? Granted, they got fewer votes, but they are closer to feeling victorious than the Tories, so might be more inclined to treat the news magnanimously.
    Thank the lord I didn't vote Tory! I wavered for a moment, but couldn't do it
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited June 2017
    I think the Nat's atrocious record on health and education was more important. The Indyref stuff is a canard.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651

Brom said:

I just wish I had been more vocal and trenchant in my criticism of Theresa May before the election.

She was doing fine before the election, it's what she did in the past 7 weeks that was the problem. I refuse to believe she couldn't have done better, unfortunately she must take the blame for the advice she took and believing she didn't need the help of some of the big beasts.
    I'd be fascinated to know how much wonk-power and focus grouping etc was put into their manifesto, let alone critical input from experienced Tory politicians.

Suspect the answer is "back of a fag packet".
    There is no way that manifesto was properly focus grouped...for starters no Tory / Tory leaners on here thought it was any good at all (and that is being generous).
    If it had been focus grouped, I'm sure that the social care issue would have been reduced to "there will be a review".

If they'd taken input from others, I think we'd have seen "£350m a week for the NHS" - a relatively cheap promise if a 5-year target, given inflation. Boris/Gove were apparently genuinely committed to the idea - I read somewhere from someone on the Leave campaign IIRC that if Boris had become PM, perhaps with Chancellor Gove, it was one of their Day One priorities. This was a serious trick missed by the Tories, particularly because it would have allowed them to deploy Boris in "national electoral asset mode" rather than "buffoon mode". (My view on Boris is that he's good if you give him a retail offer to sell, but if he is just "there", being Boris, he's taking attention away from what you're supposedly campaigning on.)

I'd be surprised if a manifesto is ever launched again without careful focus grouping first. But then again, party leaders should have learned by now to keep their mouths shut on gays and fox-hunting, and that didn't happen either.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,912
    Does May actually think that this will work, or does she just want the power?
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    edited June 2017
    Anyone think the cabinet choices will be interesting? For one I think she is going to have to ditch her advisers, some might not take up a position in cabinet unless they go.

And she is going to have to change her style of government, less command and control more collective government.

I think she is going to have to now bring in Gove (who is a snake in my view) and others because she will have no choice.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,236

Hills has just settled my last bet: 10/1 against NOM and turnover above 65%.

They still haven't paid out on Labour over 162.5 seats. :angry:
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Buck House .... shortly ....

TM - Good afternoon your majesty.

ER - I'm taking you at your word. We need strong and stable government and that means without you. Enough is enough. Do you have George Osborne's number on speed dial or have I got to ask TSE over at PB for it ?

TM - But .... er ....

ER - No Prime Minister is better than a bad Prime Minister. Mind the corgis on the way out ....
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    Chameleon said:

She needs to go. Pronto
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,898
    The main issue, though, is that the SNP have been in power too long. They are tired and arrogant.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,061

kle4 said:

especially as we need all the PB Tories we can get in the difficult days ahead..... owen jones is going to be EVERYWHERE.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Brom said:

I just wish I had been more vocal and trenchant in my criticism of Theresa May before the election.

She was doing fine before the election, it's what she did in the past 7 weeks that was the problem. I refuse to believe she couldn't have done better, unfortunately she must take the blame for the advice she took and believing she didn't need the help of some of the big beasts.
    I'd be fascinated to know how much wonk-power and focus grouping etc was put into their manifesto, let alone critical input from experienced Tory politicians.

There is no way that manifesto was properly focus grouped...for starters no Tory / Tory leaners on here thought it was any good at all (and that is being generous).
    If it had been focus grouped, I'm sure that the social care issue would have been reduced to "there will be a review".

If they'd taken input from others, I think we'd have seen "£350m a week for the NHS" - a relatively cheap promise if a 5-year target, given inflation. Boris/Gove were apparently genuinely committed to the idea - I read somewhere from someone on the Leave campaign IIRC that if Boris had become PM, perhaps with Chancellor Gove, it was one of their Day One priorities. This was a serious trick missed by the Tories, particularly because it would have allowed them to deploy Boris in "national electoral asset mode" rather than "buffoon mode". (My view on Boris is that he's good if you give him a retail offer to sell, but if he is just "there", being Boris, he's taking attention away from what you're supposedly campaigning on.)

I'd be surprised if a manifesto is ever launched again without careful focus grouping first. But then again, party leaders should have learned by now to keep their mouths shut on gays and fox-hunting, and that didn't happen either.
    Totally agree with this. I wonder how many Tory seats would have been saved if they were able to deploy the Bonkster waving his £350 million a week promise? I bet quite a few, both because of him and the policy.

I would never want Boris to be PM, but the public genuinely like him and willing to at least give him a hearing.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Only 4 LDs lost seats? Poor buggers.

A shout out to Tim Farron, Tom Brake, Norman Lamb and Alistair Carmichael, particularly Brake and Lamb. The ultimate LD survivors, well done them. The LDs are still in trouble though with Labour replacing them as second option in the south.

And, farewell for now everybody - may the victorious and wealthy gloat a little, let us always dig at each other's politics, but at the end of the day remember that more than anything else we are one people. No, not British - PBers!
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    midwinter said:

HYUFD said:

midwinter said:

nunu said:

MikeL said:

It could be argued that if Con can be this near a majority with a terrible leader and a disastrous manifesto, then with a new attractive leader and retail policies then they might get a majority.

er...which is what Cameron did and was.
    Indeed. If the Tories had any sense they'd be begging him to come back on hands and knees.
    Does anyone seriously doubt he would have slaughtered Corbyn. Only lobotomy candidates.
    The vote was an anti austerity vote as much as anything, Cameron would not have got as many Kippers though he would have held more centrists and Corbyn even led him in one or 2 polls. I think Boris is the only leader who would have done better
    The results in London, Reading, Canterbury to an extent and many other close shaves in Remain areas were entirely due to Brexit. Many of those areas have affluent populations.
    Corbyn led him in a couple of polls before UKIP went South. I'd also point out the Tories had poll leads of up to 8 percent under Cameron even in the run up to the referendum.
    I'd respectfully say that in a 2 horse race IDS would have struggled to do worse than May.
    Cameron would have been double figures ahead.
    IDS at least appears to believe in something. After six weeks of campaigning, can anyone take a stab at describing Mayism?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    HYUFD said:

nunu said:

Devonblue said:

"No deal is better than a bad deal". Farron rules out pact with Tories. Best speech he's made.

Did he say that? LOL.
    DanSmith said:

MaxPB said:

Will any Tories be brave enough to refuse cabinet seats or call on May to go to her face?

I think they will only agree if she agrees to jump in 10 days and trigger a leadership election, tbh, the party may just no confidence her with Graham Brady.

In other news, I have renewed my party membership after letting it lapse earlier this year when I realised how awful Theresa was. Time to look forwards and make the best of it I think,
    Get a good leader in and the Tories should win a majority next election.
    Labour is well on course to win the next election whenever it comes.
    Not with 44% of the country and over 300 seats against them, Labour will be a strong opposition now that does not mean the country wants them in government
    what? The tories have a 2% lead. Wake up. Labour only need a 1% swing to take dozens of seats, and their vote is very efficient now.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,056
    Mr. kle4, can't recall if it's your cup of tea, but Kingdom Come Deliverance (RPG set in 1403 Bohemia) has a release date. Just announced today, February 2018. Looks rather good.
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    Were all those "Lab ELE coming" columns from Lab 'insiders' just chaff put up on Milne's orders? Just asking.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,346
    midwinter said:

HYUFD said:

midwinter said:

nunu said:

MikeL said:

It could be argued that if Con can be this near a majority with a terrible leader and a disastrous manifesto, then with a new attractive leader and retail policies then they might get a majority.

Indeed. If the Tories had any sense they'd be begging him to come back on hands and knees.
    Does anyone seriously doubt he would have slaughtered Corbyn. Only lobotomy candidates.
    The vote was an anti austerity vote as much as anything, Cameron would not have got as many Kippers though he would have held more centrists and Corbyn even led him in one or 2 polls. I think Boris is the only leader who would have done better
    The results in London, Reading, Canterbury to an extent and many other close shaves in Remain areas were entirely due to Brexit. Many of those areas have affluent populations.
    Corbyn led him in a couple of polls before UKIP went South. I'd also point out the Tories had poll leads of up to 8 percent under Cameron even in the run up to the referendum.
    I'd respectfully say that in a 2 horse race IDS would have struggled to do worse than May.
    May had big leads too but as you point out the UKIP vote was higher under Cameron so both the Tory and Labour voteshares would have been lower. The Tories have still won about 44% across GB under May, that is the highest voteshare since the 1980s for the party just the collapse of UKIP has also seen Labour up helped by their squeezing the LDs and Greens, however if we do end up with Soft Brexit now May or no May inevitably the UKIP vote would go back up again with Farage returning to lead them
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Neither, but as an option it has to be tried - a new election would be problematic even if minority means certain loss in 2022, if they make it that long, and they have to try to move forward with governing now, even if it is hugely difficult.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Chameleon said:

It will take time for the Tories to choose a new leader. In the interim May has to remain as PM. So I don't know whether May is going to try and hang on and complete the Brexit negotiations, or is just managing the transition to a new leader.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    Interesting that some in the EU are making noises about delaying the start of negotiations.

Time for us to eat some humble pie and ask for more time. May does not have a mandate for hard Brexit. She can form a government temporarily but she needs to resign and the Tories need to have a proper leadership election. Plus the Tories ought to be talking to the Lib Dems not just the DUP.

It is a mess.

Corbyn is certainly strengthened. I wonder if he will now reach out to others within Labour or whether they will work with him. Or will he use this result to tighten the hard Left's grip on Labour?
  • Options
    Boris for party chairman & front & centre cheer leader next time, but defo not PM.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    He really is a grumpy unfunny old twat these days. Hard to believe he was once thought of as a comic genius.
  • Options
    nunu said:

HYUFD said:

nunu said:

Devonblue said:

"No deal is better than a bad deal". Farron rules out pact with Tories. Best speech he's made.

Did he say that? LOL.
    DanSmith said:

MaxPB said:

Will any Tories be brave enough to refuse cabinet seats or call on May to go to her face?

I think they will only agree if she agrees to jump in 10 days and trigger a leadership election, tbh, the party may just no confidence her with Graham Brady.

In other news, I have renewed my party membership after letting it lapse earlier this year when I realised how awful Theresa was. Time to look forwards and make the best of it I think,
    Not with 44% of the country and over 300 seats against them, Labour will be a strong opposition now that does not mean the country wants them in government
    what? The tories have a 2% lead. Wake up. Labour only need a 1% swing to take dozens of seats, and their vote is very efficient now.
    The versa of that vice is that Ipswich, Peterborough, Canterbury and the rest return to the Conservatives on a small swing the other way.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,919

midwinter said:

HYUFD said:

midwinter said:

nunu said:

MikeL said:

IDS at least appears to believe in something. After six weeks of campaigning, can anyone take a stab at describing Mayism?
    That's easy.

Mayism means Mayism.
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Jack - at

JackW said:

It's a mystery ....
    Jack - are you joining me in giving up projections? :lol:
    Mrs JackW tells me so .... :smiley:
  • Options

Mr. kle4, can't recall if it's your cup of tea, but Kingdom Come Deliverance (RPG set in 1403 Bohemia) has a release date. Just announced today, February 2018. Looks rather good.

Definitely my cup of tea. I guess if I take a break from PB I can actually get through my backlog of games, books and TV shows. Hmm, go outside or meet people? Crazy talk.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited June 2017
    FF43 said:

The main issue, though, is that the SNP have been in power too long. They are tired and arrogant.
    I think the problem is the conflict of interest between the roles of nationalist party leader and First Minister. Sturgeon prefers the former, when she needs to focus on running Scotland.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,452
    edited June 2017
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

I suppose if Tessy had won a majority of seats she could say she'd won the election she called.
    It's a fine distinction, but valid, although prize goes to whoever can command a majority even if they fall short of one entirely on their own, as Holyrood shows. The largest is still the closest to winning the actual goal of a majority, even if the fell short of a proper victory.
    Not a particularly fine distinction.
    If any party won 59% of seats in a FPTP election, the cries of landslide victory would be heard all the way to 2018. Winning less than 50% otoh...
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,026
    HYUFD said:

chloe said:

HYUFD said:

In the end it was anti austerity which sent the largest protest vote as Corbyn made clear in his speech was the main reason for the increased Labour voteshare, coupled with anti 'dementia tax' not anti Brexit given the fact the LDs saw no real surge

I think it was partly Brexit too.
    Only in some staunch Remain areas, the fact the Tories made some gains in Leave areas in any case counteracts that
    There's no doubt that some middle class Tories lashed out over Brexit. I'm not sure they'd actually enjoy a Labour government. Others switched or stayed at home due to the toxic manifesto.
  • Options
    nunu said:

HYUFD said:

nunu said:

Devonblue said:

Did he say that? LOL.
    DanSmith said:

MaxPB said:

The same applies in reverse to the Tories, 2 party politics means big swings and seat gains in either direction but as long as that 44% stays blue so Corbyn cannot win
  • Options
    If Mrs May is still leader in September, then the Tory conference in Manchester is going to be fun
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

midwinter said:

HYUFD said:

midwinter said:

nunu said:

MikeL said:

Erdington man.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Jeremy Corbyn being mobbed on the streets.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,061
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,397

Brom said:

I remember reading that the only cabinet minister told about the dementia tax in advance was Jeremy Hunt.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    AndyJS said:

It looks like if Labour had won 10 more seats they probably would have had enough to form a progressive alliance government with the SNP, LDs, Greens, PC and Corbyn would be heading for Downing Street.

Or if the SNP had not lost 11 seats to the Tories. Kezia may be regretting urging people to vote tory tactically.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,236
    They really should have been in that big debate.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    JackW said:

Ave_it said:

Jack - at

JackW said:

It's a mystery ....
    Jack - are you joining me in giving up projections? :lol:
    Mrs JackW tells me so .... :smiley:
    :lol:
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Scott_P said:

I suppose if Tessy had won a majority of seats she could say she'd won the election that she called.
    Morning TUD. Sorry that didn't go better for you.
  • Options
    Hoisted by their own petard.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Brom said:

I remember reading that the only cabinet minister told about the dementia tax in advance was Jeremy Hunt.
    And the daft twunt didn't say anything?
  • Options
    Aaaaaand he's off....
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    So Cameron's still the only Tory to win a majority in the last 25 years.

Hurrah for the posh boys.

You plebs don't know how lucky you were to have him as PM for 6 years
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

I suppose if Tessy had won a majority of seats she could say she'd won the election that she called.
    I would like to be gracious and say the same, but... :)

Hope no financial damage incurred anyway.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,193
    Chameleon said:

Nigelb said:

Brom said:

Because the proposal was an improvement on the status quo. The problem was that no-one who hadn't been directly affected understood the status quo.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I regret participating in his downfall keenly. The Coalition was a fine government.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited June 2017
    nunu said:

HYUFD said:

nunu said:

Devonblue said:

Did he say that? LOL.
    DanSmith said:

MaxPB said:

Agree,the tories need someone who can connect with the young ,old ,poor,black ,white and so on - only one hope and that is ruth davidson.
  • Options

nunu said:

HYUFD said:

nunu said:

Devonblue said:

Did he say that? LOL.
    DanSmith said:

MaxPB said:

Agree,the tories need someone who can connect with the young ,old ,poor,black ,white and so on,only one hope and that is ruth davidson.
    No, let her finish her job up north.
  • Options
    Apparently the DUP are demanding a Downing Street "Rose Garden" moment with May. However they want it renamed the "Garden of Eden".

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

I would like to be gracious and say the same, but... :)
    :)
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited June 2017

Totally agree with this. I wonder how many Tory seats would have been saved if they were able to deploy the Bonkster waving his £350 million a week promise? I bet quite a few, both because of him and the policy.

I would never want Boris to be PM, but the public genuinely like him and willing to at least give him a hearing.
    May could tap into parts of the country that Cameron and the posh boys couldn't. We can't know for sure whether Cameron could have got 13.6 million votes with 43.5% GB voteshare,* but if he did, it would surely have been with a substantially different voter coalition.

But Boris could reach people even May couldn't, hence 52%...

Anecdotal, I know, but I heard lots of working-class Leave voters (south of England) say Boris is the only Tory they trust. Yet he was invisible this campaign. Regardless of whether you would find him suitable PM material, there's no doubt he was one of the biggest potential vote-winners the Tories had at their disposal, and yet they benched him.

*(my quick calculation, apologies if it's cocked up)
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    True. But it didn't bother him when people with exactly the same views supported his party.

All he's showing is that his so-called principles are no such thing. They're just like coats: something you put on when convenient to you and discarded just as easily.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    edited June 2017
    If there are lessons to be learned from this shambles it's that you need a bloody good back room team to pick apart and prepare presentations on the opponents manifesto and that you need a coordinated, united team to present them.

You also need a manifesto that everyone can get behind.

It sounds basic politics 101 but it's obvious the tories didn't have this time.

I'm so angry I could spit!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,330
    kle4 said:

You plebs don't know lucky you were to have him as PM for 6 years

I regret participating in his downfall keenly. The Coalition was a fine government.
    Yep. Governing together for the good of the country.

Osborne and Cameron come out of last night much enhanced.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I've never seen someone so well received on the street than Corbyn just then.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

chloe said:

HYUFD said:

In the end it was anti austerity which sent the largest protest vote as Corbyn made clear in his speech was the main reason for the increased Labour voteshare, coupled with anti 'dementia tax' not anti Brexit given the fact the LDs saw no real surge

I think it was partly Brexit too.
    Only in some staunch Remain areas, the fact the Tories made some gains in Leave areas in any case counteracts that
    There's no doubt that some middle class Tories lashed out over Brexit. I'm not sure they'd actually enjoy a Labour government. Others switched or stayed at home due to the toxic manifesto.
    The Tories need to ease off on austerity now spending as a percentage of gdp is closer to 40% than the 47% it was in 2010 and do a proper review of social care and how it is to be funded fairly, Brexit will probably be fudged to some degree but still go ahead
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,141

There's no way she'll be able to get the great repeal bill through The House of Commons

Edit - Or through the Lords.

The situation reminds of that episode of Peep Show where Mark says, "I am beginning to think that everything is completely fucked. You know, really fucked."
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    kle4 said:

Definitely my cup of tea. I guess if I take a break from PB I can actually get through my backlog of games, books and TV shows. Hmm, go outside or meet people? Crazy talk.
    I said you were getting Stockholme syndrome with all these PB Tories have a well deserved break.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,990
    edited June 2017
    jonny83 said:

Oh to be a fly on the wall when May meets Her Maj. Publicly she has to stay out of Politics but privately she does hold views and is not afraid to air them. Lot of ex PM's say that.

Hopefully she'll bring her to her senses and tell her for gods sake just go!
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

There's no way she'll be able to get the great repeal bill through The House of Commons

Edit - Or through the Lords.

The situation reminds of that episode of Peep Show where Mark says, "I am beginning to think that everything is completely fucked. You know, really fucked."
    Quite, and in a fresh election the same result may be returned.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@JamieRoss7: "The reckless Tory pursuit of a hard Brexit must be abandoned," says Sturgeon. Urges MPs of all parties to back single market membership.

What about her reckless pursuit of Indy?

It's dropped if single market membership is on the table.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,879
    Wise words from Alastair.

I might have made a couple of hundred quid last night, thanks to Ruth Davidson, but I too have a lot of hard thinking to do.
  • Options

May could tap into parts of the country that Cameron and the posh boys couldn't. We can't know for sure whether Cameron could have got 13.6 million votes with 43.5% GB voteshare,* but if he did, it would surely have been with a substantially different voter coalition.

Anecdotal, I know, but I heard lots of working-class Leave voters (south of England) say Boris is the only Tory they trust. Yet he was invisible this campaign. Regardless of whether you would find him suitable PM material, there's no doubt he was one of the biggest potential vote-winners the Tories had at their disposal, and yet they benched him.

The Conservatives have lost me as a voter. Boris isn't the person to get me back on board, and I doubt he'd appeal to others I know in the same situation.
  • Options
    PatrickPatrick Posts: 225

I used to like him. Before he went doolally. If he and Geroge had only been on the right side in Brexit none of this shit would have happened. We'd have had Dave n George negotiating our soft exit and Labour in opposition still tearing itself apart.
  • Options
    One wonders whether the DUP will demand extra safety measures for the Royal Navy lest their ships fall off the end of the world.
  • Options

My conscience is clear, voted Remain and didn't want him to go.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

True. But it didn't bother him when people with exactly the same views supported his party.

All he's showing is that his so-called principles are no such thing. They're just like coats: something you put on when convenient to you and discarded just as easily.
    He's a condescending little arse-weasel.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

If there are lessons to be learned from this shambles it's that you need a bloody good back room team to pick apart and prepare presentations on the opponents manifesto and that you need a coordinated, united team to present them.

You also need a manifesto that everyone can get behind.

It sounds basic politics 101 but it's obvious the tories didn't have this time.

I'm so angry I could spit!

Or maybe Tories just need to be a little less greedy and a little less arrogant. They spent too much time in the back room and too much time attacking.

They never paused to ask whether they were doing the right thing
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Alistair said:

Scott_P said:

@JamieRoss7: "The reckless Tory pursuit of a hard Brexit must be abandoned," says Sturgeon. Urges MPs of all parties to back single market membership.

What about her reckless pursuit of Indy?

It's dropped if single market membership is on the table.
    The Ruth Davidson Party's entire raison d'être up in a puff of smoke.
    Could be a strategic masterstroke.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Impeccable logic. May has seats with wafer thin majorities like Richmond which leave her desperately unsafe. Nothing like the rock solid majorities the SNP got in places like Fife North East and Perth and North Perthshire.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,986
    edited June 2017
    Why would anyone believe Mrs May gratuitously insulting our EU partners would be a vote winner? It never made sense and I doubt very much that it impressed the younger and more educated voters. Add to that ingratiating herself with Trump and the Saudis and wanting to re-introdce fox hunting and grammar schools and you start to see why the young in particular were ultimately repelled.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,193
    PM leaving the Palace, podium in place outside No. 10 waiting for her to return to Downing Street.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

The Conservatives have lost me as a voter. Boris isn't the person to get me back on board, and I doubt he'd appeal to others I know in the same situation.
    We need to see some polls about potential future leaders but I expect Boris and Davidson would come top
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    York Central massive Maj for Rachael Maskell.Even where I live York Outer massive increase in Labour vote.There was a bloke on UK poling report predicting early yesterday Labour win in Canterbury he was ridiculed .
  • Options
    Very short skirt on Theresa, she won't be going to Henley regatta wearing that!
  • Options
    Patrick said:

I used to like him. Before he went doolally. If he and Geroge had only been on the right side in Brexit none of this shit would have happened. We'd have had Dave n George negotiating our soft exit and Labour in opposition still tearing itself apart.
    No.

This happened because too many so-called conservatives went doolally over the EU.

The same people who brought down Major also brought down Cameron and Osborne. With much the same effect to the party.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,741
    Sandpit said:

Chameleon said:

Nigelb said:

Brom said:

Because the proposal was an improvement on the status quo. The problem was that no-one who hadn't been directly affected understood the status quo.
    They tried to spin it as an improvement of the status quo, but that was only the case for some people. It wasn't believed.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

He's a condescending little arse-weasel.
    He has a point Tories have been hurling mud around.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Chameleon said:

nunu said:

HYUFD said:

nunu said:

Devonblue said:

Did he say that? LOL.
    DanSmith said:

MaxPB said:

Agree,the tories need someone who can connect with the young ,old ,poor,black ,white and so on,only one hope and that is ruth davidson.
    No, let her finish her job up north.
    She can do more for the tories in Scotland by leading the british conservative party.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited June 2017

If UKIP had done as badly in that election than this one it seems we would be enjoying PM Milliband.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Alistair said:

Impeccable logic. May has seats with wafer thin majorities like Richmond which leave her desperately unsafe. Nothing like the rock solid majorities the SNP got in places like Fife North East and Perth and North Perthshire.

:smile:
  • Options
    13/8 on Farage next permanent UKIP leader with Ladbrokes. I've had £50 on it, everyone else in UKIP is a pygmy and Farage's comments suggest he might be considering a return. If he stood he'd win.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nor me I voted Tory 2010, LD 2015 and Remain 2016
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    I doubt the veracity of Jones' claim to be gay, I think he finds it psychologically necessary to adopt a victim label. Soon he'll settle down with a nice heiress and have a litter of budding left activists.
  • Options
    I wonder whether Mark Senior is chuckling just a little at the irony of the Tories decimating the LibDems in 2015 has also likely led to the demise of two Conservative Prime Ministers in two years.

Funny business this politics game.
  • Options
    If Boris looks set to get it and Ruth threatens a split what do you do?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Interesting that some in the EU are making noises about delaying the start of negotiations.

Time for us to eat some humble pie and ask for more time. May does not have a mandate for hard Brexit. She can form a government temporarily but she needs to resign and the Tories need to have a proper leadership election. Plus the Tories ought to be talking to the Lib Dems not just the DUP.

It is a mess.

Corbyn is certainly strengthened. I wonder if he will now reach out to others within Labour or whether they will work with him. Or will he use this result to tighten the hard Left's grip on Labour?

I'm not sure Brexit can be passed on a party-political basis anymore, which might be for the best.

Tories should reach out to moderate Labour MPs and the few eurorealist Lib-Dem MPs.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Where's malcolmG?
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Where's malcolmG?

Trying to get the pandas to breed.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

If Boris looks set to get it and Ruth threatens a split what do you do?

Cry.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,141
    Ave_it said:

Where's malcolmG?

Campaigning in Catalonia.
This discussion has been closed.