Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Remember how at EURef Newcastle and Sunderland gave us the fir

Comments

• Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,088

My Labour friend in the North West who first alerted me to the possibility that Leave were going to win it is nervous.

The voters that turned out then are turning out now.

But he's not sure who they are voting for.

Must be like a scene from Shaun Of The Dead.
    Clearly you've been to Wigan then!
    Lol! As it happens, I have, and I liked it very much.
    Been to both Wigan North Western AND Wigan Wallgate! Bought a delicious cheese pasty from the shop opposite Wallgate!
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,963

Given the whole Corbyn campaign has been he is for the many and the Tories are for the few.

What is the defence if we assume the Tories get a total vote which is perhaps 1 to 2 million more than his party?

They're the wrong 'the many'.

The Greens have often claimed to be speaking for 'the people', not just 'people'.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,503
    edited June 2017

Any rumours?

Lots
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,439

Any rumours?

Lots
    Do share, George.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,715
    edited June 2017
    hunchman said:

Pulpstar said:

Anecdote alert...

Visiting his local polling station in Derby, a friend of mine had to brake hard - Margaret Beckett walked out in front of his car without looking! No harm caused, fortunately.

*Interesting*

Sounds as though she is flustered. Like other PB'ers to see Labour down at the 150-160 level you wince at some of the seats that would potentially go - Bolsover, Durhan NW, Hemsworth?, Blyth Valley?

And to think that Margaret Beckett was instrumental in getting Jezza on the leadership ballot a couple of years ago.............
    More than anybody else, Ma Beckett will own those Labour loses tonight. I mean, she was briefly Labour leader after John Smith died. What was she thinking, going all "aw, bless..." on the Hard Left?
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,665
    I miss Plato.
  • The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

Any rumours?

Lots
    Share them.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272

My Labour friend in the North West who first alerted me to the possibility that Leave were going to win it is nervous.

Good man. It is my home town, and gets a really bad rep. It is no better or worse than at least a dozen places in the area.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,573
    edited June 2017

Any rumours?

Lots
    OK, but what about rumours that AREN'T about when your glorious AV thread will be published? :D
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,565
    Hello all. Latest feedback after an afternoon's knocking up here in Wakefield.

The Tory vote is more solid than it appeared to me last night. Sorry again for the major wobble - stress, anger at the ineptitude of some of those running the campaign (and at the selfishness of one particular voter), exhaustion and what I think now must just have been a particularly misleading set of responses just pushed me into seriously doubting whether the Blue wall was holding. (but WHY did it have to happen to me on election eve?!?)

I now think that it pretty much is. There is still anger out there at some of the policies and a lack of enthusiasm for May but a mixture of pragmatism and fear of Corbyn should see the Tories home, if not by a huge margin.

Apologies again for being all over the place these last 24 hours.

(And again, only popping in here briefly as other stuff to do but after causing a few jitters last night, I felt I owed it to people here to report on what I'd found today.)
  • spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,450

Given the whole Corbyn campaign has been he is for the many and the Tories are for the few.

What is the defence if we assume the Tories get a total vote which is perhaps 1 to 2 million more than his party?

just think... Tm will need to get 2.8million more votes than DC did in 2015 just to get the same number of votes that John Major did in 1992. If she does it'll be a MUCH bigger majority though
    RobD said:

Any rumours?

Lots
    OK, but what about rumours that AREN'T about when your glorious AV thread will be published? :D
    Depending on the result tonight, you might get a parvum opus on AV this Sunday
    Cheers for the update, @david_herdson!

chrisb said:

DavidL said:

My other hot prediction is that Labour will end up with fewer seats than the Exit Poll initially predicts.

That I agree with for the reasons I have said but I think 180 is excessively pessimistic, let alone 160. I expect Labour to be around 200. Above or below will be quite important psychologically.
    I would have thought the 209 seats they won in the 1983 election might hold more psychological resonance.
    I look at the list of seats that need to fall for Labour even to be down at 180 and I just shake my head. I just can't see any of them with a Tory MP.

If they do fall, it is a political earthquake that Corbyn will have unleashed (for it will be his doing, and not that of Theresa May).
    One of Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn will be safe in place for the next two years after this evening, perhaps both. Neither deserves to be.
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited June 2017

Hello all. Latest feedback after an afternoon's knocking up here in Wakefield...

Good luck.

The Tory vote is more solid than it appeared to me last night. Sorry again for the major wobble - stress, anger at the ineptitude of some of those running the campaign (and at the selfishness of one particular voter), exhaustion and what I think now must just have been a particularly misleading set of responses just pushed me into seriously doubting whether the Blue wall was holding. (but WHY did it have to happen to me on election eve?!?)

I now think that it pretty much is. There is still anger out there at some of the policies and a lack of enthusiasm for May but a mixture of pragmatism and fear of Corbyn should see the Tories home, if not by a huge margin.

(And again, only popping in here briefly as other stuff to do but after causing a few jitters last night, I felt I owed it to people here to report on what I'd found today.)

Phew! The Herdster is back on board!!

Don't apologise, glad you're feeling happier today, and I know feel happy on my sell of Labour seats.
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

:+1:
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Anyone know where I can get a spreadsheet of seats with % Majority / swing required and likely declaration time? I had one in 2015 and it was great!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OmJVW05bWEn2a9ak4BJGe_6Jm_u2qdN9DK0GqqeV8Gg/edit#gid=0

Thank you for this info. And once again, get some rest after this! :)
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,364
    Mr P,

My favourite Wigan joke which bears re-telling while we're waiting for the exit poll. Not suitable for snowflakes.

A St Helens man goes to Wigan and sees a little girl crying her eyes out at the side of the road.
    "What's wrong, little girl?" he asks.
    "It's my mummy," she says. "I've lost her and can't find her anywhere."
    "Don't worry," he says. "We'll soon find her. What's she like?"
    "Bingo and cock," comes the answer.

It's a scouse joke, so they switch towns if they're in Wigan.

RobD said:

Any rumours?

Lots
    Depending on the result tonight, you might get a parvum opus on AV this Sunday
    Any chance we can get a medium opus instead? :p
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    RobD said:

Cheers for the update, @david_herdson!

Yes, greatly appreciate his input. Good news if true for most people's betting positions. Wakefield will probably need to go blue for a 50+ majority.

Thanks David,

You've worked hard on this one and represent the very best of the Tories. Relax, have a beer and wait for the exit poll.
  • hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Right, a couple of hours sleep for me. Look forward to seeing you all again just before 10pm.
  • Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411

Hello David!

hope you are right re Wakefield!

Good luck!

Mrs C, Yorkshire is a flourishing and bountiful land, nourished by the timely rain. Not a parched realm of nightmares, like Mordor.

Leave Derbyshire out of this.....
    Derbyshire has been left out of everything since the dawn of civilisation.....
    It is slowly creeping up on Sheffield though. It seems to get closer every time I go over Snake Pass.
    It's a sneaky county, Derbyshire. You've got to watch it like a hawk....
    It is so bleak up in the hills. If you car has a problem up there then you might as well be on the back of the moon as far as mobile phones are concerned.
    edited June 2017

Mrs C, Yorkshire is a flourishing and bountiful land, nourished by the timely rain. Not a parched realm of nightmares, like Mordor.

It is slowly creeping up on Sheffield though. It seems to get closer every time I go over Snake Pass.
    It is so bleak up in the hills. If you car has a problem up there then you might as well be on the back of the moon as far as mobile phones are concerned.
    Used to live there as a teenager. We used to say we could see three neighbours - when the fog lifted.

Blue_rog said:

When the Tory manifesto came out I said that it was time to get some unpalatable stuff on the table and a hit in the polls wouldn't hurt too much. . I'm sure the same calculation was done by the Tories. The joker was May's poor campaigning performance. I don't think it's so bad as to prevent an increased majority but it could have been better and it has also revealed May's Achilles heel, public speaking - strange in a politician

I am no fan of TM but at least she is offering a serious platform. Her style is a bit wooden but I think people would rather have someone tell you the truth rather than the Blair and to a lesser extent Cameron who were all polish and media focused. If you look back at dynamic PMs they are usually followed by technocratic types. Think: Macmillan followed by Home or Wilson followed by Callaghan or Thatcher followed by Major or Blair followed by Brown and now Cameron followed by May. Politics is a cycle, if Labour can get rid of Corbyn they should be in for a period of rejuvenation as the pendulum swings against the Tories.

May is not telling the truth on Brexit.

Is anyone?
    That song 'liar liar' can be applied to both May and Corbyn.
    Probably my favourite Jim Carrey movie :lol:
    I still like "The Mask", especially when the dog put the mask on. I nearly wet myself laughing at that when I saw it in the cinema.

Have you been to see the Wonder Woman movie yet?
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    Alistair said:

DavidL said:

At my polling station in Birkhill tonight it was bouncing. I am usually there at the crack of so it was an unusual time but I have never seen it so busy.

Bit weird really. Dundee West is not marginal, no one canvassed us, no tellers, no obvious GOTV operation. My guess is that the SNP storm troopers are all in Angus and Perth and North Perthshire. But people are voting, no doubt about it.

You'd describe it as risk then?

Post work is always the busiest time when I've voted
    No chance. Minor and completely unimportant battle for 2nd place but the SNP being under 50% would be a surprise.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272

Been to both Wigan North Western AND Wigan Wallgate! Bought a delicious cheese pasty from the shop opposite Wallgate!
    If you'd gone to the one opposite NWestern, it is Poole's Pies, the Michelin 3 star of pie shops.
  • midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

chrisb said:

DavidL said:

My other hot prediction is that Labour will end up with fewer seats than the Exit Poll initially predicts.

That I agree with for the reasons I have said but I think 180 is excessively pessimistic, let alone 160. I expect Labour to be around 200. Above or below will be quite important psychologically.
    I would have thought the 209 seats they won in the 1983 election might hold more psychological resonance.
    I look at the list of seats that need to fall for Labour even to be down at 180 and I just shake my head. I just can't see any of them with a Tory MP.

If they do fall, it is a political earthquake that Corbyn will have unleashed (for it will be his doing, and not that of Theresa May).
    One of Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn will be safe in place for the next two years after this evening, perhaps both. Neither deserves to be.
    Agree entirely. Thanks on behalf of this conservative voter for all your efforts and good luck in Wakefield!!

Used to live there as a teenager. We used to say we could see three neighbours - when the fog lifted.
    That sounds about right. It is nice if you like that sort of thing, but it is not for me.

Rest? Am off to the count at 9.30 and will be up till god knows when. Am posting from the chippy now :-)

Presume you mean after Friday though.
  • Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,067

chrisb said:

DavidL said:

Thanks for the update David - I must admit that and the 'kaboom' rumours combined to see me bottle some of my position at first last night before then putting another £1k down on Tory Maj as bravado.... will likely cost me a few hundred in potential profit due to that BUT that is as naught compared to my thanks for all your efforts supporting the blue team, when this campaign they've not done that much to deserve it from you. Respect!
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,264
    edited June 2017
    Live footage of me trying to work out what today's result will be:

https://twitter.com/virtuallydead/status/872476247384887296
  • alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    edited June 2017
    Whatever May's presumed failures as a campaigner, she could be single handedly responsible for hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions of votes that the Tories might not otherwise have got. That is not something to be treated lightly. The question is how she will go about trying to retain them.
  • Torby_FennelTorby_Fennel Posts: 438
    I hope that everyone has an enjoyable evening whatever your political views. I will be watching the BBC results show for as long as I can stay awake but I'll not be popping by PB as my personal preference is for the BBC results to be my one and only source of news on election nights... I suppose I like to watch it as an unfolding live drama untainted by spoilers. ;)

Rest? Am off to the count at 9.30 and will be up till god knows when. Am posting from the chippy now :-)

Presume you mean after Friday though.
    Yes, I meant after the GE.
  • We went to vote in Maidenhead at 5:30 and it was pretty quiet compared to the Euro ref. Although we went to vote a bit later then.
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,364
    The only good part of Wigan is Wigan Central. That's not a station, it's a pub with real ale.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,456

My first car was an ex-National Rivers Authority Land Rover 110. It nearly killed me three times, including once when I was travelling over the tops between Chesterfield and Matlock on a foggy night and lost all electrics, including lights.

My brother had much more fun with his Land Rover, including the time he was on its roof and it rolled onto him. That's an impressive feat!
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Nothing to apologise about and thank you for the update.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,584
    Is TMICIPM confirmed yet.

LAB piling up votes in heartlands methinks

F all anywhere it needs them.

75 majority to Weak n Wobbly

I hope that everyone has an enjoyable evening whatever your political views. I will be watching the BBC results show for as long as I can stay awake but I'll not be popping by PB as my personal preference is for the BBC results to be my one and only source of news on election nights... I suppose I like to watch it as an unfolding live drama untainted by spoilers. ;)

I'll be sticking with them too.. hopefully they won't miss too many declarations this time! I don't think I could get away from PB though, nights like these are what it is made for!
    edited June 2017

Is TMICIPM confirmed yet.

LAB piling up votes in heartlands methinks

F all anywhere it needs them.

75 majority to Weak n Wobbly

3 young voters in front of me at the Marsh polling station. Looked like Labour voters.
    Rowley at the bottom of the ballot paper might have an effect. Maybe.

That sounds about right. It is nice if you like that sort of thing, but it is not for me.
    It's not nice when you don't like that sort of thing, but your parents decide to drag your moody teenage arse out into the middle of East Bumfuck Nowhere regardless!
  • PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    dixiedean said:

If you'd gone to the one opposite NWestern, it is Poole's Pies, the Michelin 3 star of pie shops.
    Galloways surely..

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,350
    In the services for a pee break...how's it looking for us anti-corbynites? Are there masses of photos from across the country on twitter of 1000 deep queues of yuff waiting to vote for the messiah?
    I hear that the Con candidate in Don Valley is real shady.
  • notmenotme Posts: 3,293

We all get candiditis....
  • scoopscoop Posts: 64
    I would take Francis Pym's wish (1983 election) for a working majority of 50-100 at tonight's exit poll.
    I hope the BBC show that declaration live!
    RobD said:

I'll be sticking with them too.. hopefully they won't miss too many declarations this time! I don't think I could get away from PB though, nights like these are what it is made for!
    Yes... and not talking over the declarations that they do show would also be a great step forwards too. But I imagine with all the polling confusion this year it is going to be quite hard for the broadcasters to decide which declarations to show live once the results start coming thick and fast.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,206

Mr Eagles! I had a nice meal in Wigan once. Well.... on the outskirts of Wigan..... err..... OK.... M6 services...

:(
    Tebay

best of the bunch, almost worth the trip by itself
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T

If anyone wants a break from politics, the first Top of the Pops of 1984 is on BBC4 now.
    Chameleon said:

Check out number 5

twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/872884153917865984

I hear that the Con candidate in Don Valley is real shady.
    Well, he is obviously a "Con man" by definition......

I will get my coat & hat
    Why would anybody choose the BBC over Sky. Why curtice was still saying too close to call in the EU referendum and 2015 GE, Thrasher had already calculated the results and gone home.

In the services for a pee break...how's it looking for us anti-corbynites? Are there masses of photos from across the country on twitter of 1000 deep queues of yuff waiting to vote for the messiah?

PB Tories are just setting up the stage for their Sheffield Rally. :smiley:
  • peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,956
    edited June 2017

I miss Plato.

I miss her too - the site is much the poorer without her, she was after all a former Poster of the Year, which shouldn't be forgotten.
    I really imagined she and Rod Crosby would have been allowed back for the GE campaign, always assuming that they wished to return, which is probably doubtful now.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,317
    Just voted Lib Dem in Gateshead. Polling Station was dead!

It's not nice when you don't like that sort of thing, but your parents decide to drag your moody teenage arse out into the middle of East Bumfuck Nowhere regardless!
    I thought these days you lived on the extreme westerly edge of civilisation in a sort of Derbyshire-by-the-sea?

:D
  • TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,683
    Just back from doing a few hours of GOTV in a marginal NW seat (I won't say which one because of not wanting to jinx things). I am puzzled by the CCHQ strategy, which involved us knocking up targeted non-Tories, and if this is what David Herdson was faced with last night I'm not surprised he wasn't impressed. Anyhow the biggest rumour is that the turnout on the University campus is lower than 2015. Make of that what you will!

Why would anybody choose the BBC over Sky. Why curtice was still saying too close to call in the EU referendum and 2015 GE, Thrasher had already calculated the results and gone home.

He sounds like a terrible spoilsport!!! :D;)
    I thought Labour did rather well
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

Seconded.
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    He says that at every election since he has been a commentator. In 2010 he said the tory campaign was all wrong despite the fact the Tories would have to win more seats than at any post war election and then again in 2015, he doubled down on the mistake. In international politics he said Trump could never win the Republican nomination and then after that the General Election. I don't think he understands how political parties work which is surprising as he worked for the Tories. He is more of an ideology person compared to a person who understands the machine required to win a election.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,226
    My daughter's Latin teacher was telling for the Conservatives in Hampstead.

My first car was an ex-National Rivers Authority Land Rover 110. It nearly killed me three times, including once when I was travelling over the tops between Chesterfield and Matlock on a foggy night and lost all electrics, including lights.

My brother had much more fun with his Land Rover, including the time he was on its roof and it rolled onto him. That's an impressive feat!
    I regularly drive past the Land Rover factory in Liverpool. There are plenty more of them to go around so tell your brother not to worry too much ;)
    edited June 2017
    TudorRose said:

Just back from doing a few hours of GOTV in a marginal NW seat (I won't say which one because of not wanting to jinx things). I am puzzled by the CCHQ strategy, which involved us knocking up targeted non-Tories, and if this is what David Herdson was faced with last night I'm not surprised he wasn't impressed. Anyhow the biggest rumour is that the turnout on the University campus is lower than 2015. Make of that what you will!

Well lots of universities the sttttuddennntsss have buggered off home. I was on a uni campus yesterday and it was a ghost town.

The question nobody seems to know the answer to is where are they registered to vote and have they.

For me it depends on the graphics, best graphics get on the TV, second best on the laptop, ITV off.

I thought Labour did rather well
    We will find out in a couple of hours....
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    Just been watching Ch4 News about Trump. I have to say whatever anyone might think about 'Leavers' in Hartlipool or any voter for any of our mainstream parties there's no way a chancer like Trump would have got anywhere near high office in this country. That's quite comforting when reflecting on election night.
    rcs1000 said:

unum, duo, tres quattuor, quinque......

He says that at every election since he has been a commentator. In 2010 he said the tory campaign was all wrong despite the fact the Tories would have to win more seats than at any post war election and then again in 2015, he doubled down on the mistake. In international politics he said Trump could never win the Republican nomination and then after that the General Election. I don't think he understands how political parties work which is surprising as he worked for the Tories. He is more of an ideology person compared to a person who understands the machine required to win a election.
    All theory, no practice?
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    DavidL said:

Alistair said:

DavidL said:

At my polling station in Birkhill tonight it was bouncing. I am usually there at the crack of so it was an unusual time but I have never seen it so busy.

Bit weird really. Dundee West is not marginal, no one canvassed us, no tellers, no obvious GOTV operation. My guess is that the SNP storm troopers are all in Angus and Perth and North Perthshire. But people are voting, no doubt about it.

You'd describe it as risk then?

Post work is always the busiest time when I've voted
    No chance. Minor and completely unimportant battle for 2nd place but the SNP being under 50% would be a surprise.
    Arg, I meant brisk not risk. Stupid phone.
  • Mrs C, Yorkshire is a flourishing and bountiful land, nourished by the timely rain. Not a parched realm of nightmares, like Mordor.

Good football team though !
  • MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    rcs1000 said:

Con XLII %
    Lab XXVIII %

• Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,067
    edited June 2017

unfortunately they barely seem to both covering live declarations they are so busy speculating on what might happen with their guests if so and so happen and who'll do what with whom tomorrow - so you usually just get recorded results when they can tear themselves away from their 'fascinating' waffle.

The worst of it is when they break in to potentially interesting comments from Laura/Prof C because so and so is in his or her car on the way to their count, or walking in to their count etc etc. Helicopeters in the air all the way showing a car driving in the dark or early morning which is BORING as xxxx....

I may be going overboard too early.
  • woody662woody662 Posts: 255

Great football team.
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    East Enders GOTV now on Telly!

When you've been Champions of Europe a couple of times, we'll talk....
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,128
    Thanks for the update, David.
    edited June 2017

Mr Eagles! I had a nice meal in Wigan once. Well.... on the outskirts of Wigan..... err..... OK.... M6 services...

:(
    Tebay

best of the bunch, almost worth the trip by itself
    It used to be. I stopped in it 2 or 3 years ago and it had declined noticeably. Twenty years ago, it was in competition with Killington Lake (on the other carriageway) and they were both very nice back then.

I have never quite got over the disappearance of the Little Chef on the Dumfries Ring Road where the A75 from Gretna takes a right turn. It used to be great for a cup of tea and some fish fingers for the kids.
    nichomar said:

East Enders GOTV now on Telly!

We do have some ancient traditions, don't we? :p
  • mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Chesterfield? Because good and DCFC havent run together for 40 years.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,128
    I've just sold Labour on the spreads.

I may lose money on it but, if Corbyn wins, I am buggered anyway so what the hell.
  • TypoTypo Posts: 195

unfortunately they barely seem to both covering live declarations they are so busy speculating on what might happen with their guests if so and so happen and who'll do what with whom tomorrow - so you usually just get recorded results when they can tear themselves away from their 'fascinating' waffle.

The worst of it is when they break in to potentially interesting comments from Laura/Prof C because so and so is in his or her car on the way to their count, or walking in to their count etc etc. Helicopeters in the air all the way showing a car driving in the dark or early morning which is BORING as xxxx....

I may be going overboard too early.
    There is a lot to be said for ITV's straightforward coverage. Results, results, results.

BBC is too preoccupied with Westminster village machinations (at least it was in 2015).
  • jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,269
    edited June 2017
    Going to flick between the channels again, especially when the BBC does loads of interviews instead of you know announcing results (the actual point of the broadcast).

Will check out Balls and Osborne a little on ITV, and if Labour are in for a pasting got to check Owen Jones's reaction of course. Actually Osborne's reaction might be interesting considering some of the attacks on May since he went to the Evening Standard. Of course I will be checking here as well :)

Snacks and drinks all ready, I think I can make it until at least 4 am, though the last two GE's it was like 8 am I went to bed.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Pretty quiet in my polling station at 1830, in a Tory/LD area. Pissing down with rain though.
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Roger said:

Just been watching Ch4 News about Trump. I have to say whatever anyone might think about 'Leavers' in Hartlipool or any voter for any of our mainstream parties there's no way a chancer like Trump would have got anywhere near high office in this country. That's quite comforting when reflecting on election night.

If we had a nationwide Presidential election in the period 2011ish - EUref then I think that Farage would have done really quite well.

You could describe Farage as Trump without the spelling mistakes.

I had no idea they even had a football team. Surely there is nowhere level enough for them to play?
    I think that Eastenders bit summed up why the pollsters are having such a hard time :p

I thought these days you lived on the extreme westerly edge of civilisation in a sort of Derbyshire-by-the-sea?

:D
    Harsh....
  • PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    Just got back from voting. Beautiful sunny evening here after a sporadically torrential day. Two observations: good to see a fair few younger* voters heading to the station, particularly in a fairly remote village; and I don't think I've ever voted at a GE where I've only had three candidates on the paper. I hadn't realised the Greens had stood down to support LD here; it's traditionally a strong seat for Green.

*obviously my definition of "younger" gets broader each election
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,317

Pretty quiet in my polling station at 1830, in a Tory/LD area. Pissing down with rain though.
    No excuses here, lovely sunshine.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,500
    Oldies for Jez.

https://twitter.com/_AngelaLansbury/status/872559410379444224

I actually think this is quite a cool celeb endorsement. Obviously runs in the family.
This discussion has been closed.