Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » All you need is Gove, Gove, Gove is all you need Mrs May

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127
    Sandpit said:

surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Essexit said:

Amazed the 1/4 on Con Maj is still available. Just put £119.17 on it, which is about the most a small-timer like me would bet.

It briefly touched 1.31 on Betfair yesterday, which is a great price for what looks like free money.

1.1 for Con most seats is IMO bet-your-mortgage value, not that it should be encouraged to put irresponsibly large sums of money at stake of course.
    Well, I've bet one month's mortgage payment on it. Does that count?
    I've got £1k at 1.25 on the majority, and although I did get a little nervous when that 1% lead came up the other day I still think it's safe.

I think the result will be something like 44-35 and Lab will pile up votes in London and Surrey where they're no use, while Theresa May piles them up in the WM and NE marginals.
    Labour will pile up votes in Surrey ? Better chance, on the Moon.
    Was shorthand for safe Tory seats in the south and the shires, where Labour will attract more votes than usual from middle class youngsters, but not gain any seats for their efforts.
    If it's a good night for the LDs then they will have clustered in target seats and not recovered in many southern seats. with ukip not standing in many I think there's a real possibility labour get second and become the anti Tory receptacle in places like the south west, which is terrible for the LDs in the long term.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    Pulpstar said:

*Buffs nails*

The Times backs the Conservatives but warns Theresa May she "needs to broaden her circle of advisers, find the inner steel that has been missing during the campaign and be the bloody difficult woman she says she can be".

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/britain-s-future-7h6gp0785?CMP=TNLEmail_118918_1932178

Well that lot was obvious from about a month ago. A thoroughly illiberal prime minister, but better her than the terrorist loving Jezbollah.

She'll have to do.
    I'm not sure she's been insufficiently 'difficult'. The thing that really worried me was a piece that suggested she wasn't listening to those telling her things she didn't want to hear.

Michael Gove? He's an enigma and I'm not sure I wold trust him. At times he seems amongst the more thoughtful Tories and at others the most infuriating. For those who think a return of the Cameroons would help enhance May's image they might consider why it was so easy for her to ditch them in the first place. Just as with the Blairities outside the Westminster village non-one is pining for their return.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited June 2017

RobD said:

Cyan said:

What's the point posting images like that on here?
    Its a sign of Cyan's confidence in a Labour landslide, undoubtedly.....
    Last night I sold my investment in the Tories not getting a majority, at a small four-figure profit. I sold it when I saw the cover pages of the Daily Mail and especially of the filthy rag called the Sun. The Sun expresses so well what the Tories wish to do to this country. I don't believe the country can compete successfully with the Tories, the Sun, and the traitors in MI5 at the present time.

@RobD, to answer your question: you may not have seen the Sun's photo of Millwall thug Roy Lerner who fought the jihadist murderers in London and sustained injuries doing so. He is reported to have said "F*** you, I'm Millwall" before taking them on. The photo shows him in his hospital bed holding a Millwall flag. (Click here). (For the avoidance of doubt, even someone of Mr Lerner's ilk can do a brave and right action at the right time, and if the account of his response is accurate then on Saturday that is certainly what he did. In any event, I wish him a speedy recovery. But that does not stop him from being a Millwall thug.) I would have posted that photo here, but retaining a sense of ethics - clearly absent among the scumbags who have been spooking, spying on and lying about Diane Abbott - I chose not to. Really on the left hand side as well as a picture of Diane Abbott and a red flag, the image should have the ISIS flag and perhaps a picture of IRA men in their uniforms too. For full effect it could also include some far more bloody images. If the Tories win this election, as they almost certainly now will, this will be how they have done it. They have not done it by intellectual argument. Mass politics is mostly about emotion. This is the worst day for our country for a long long time. It is probably the lowest I have ever known the right-wing press stoop.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,735

No thread summarising the papers recommendations??

I think this is a realistic overview therefore:

Guardian - vote anyone but Tory (not specifically Labour)
    Mirror - vote anyone but Tory (not specifically Labour)
    Independent - just vote
    Times - vote Tory as they are least crap
    Sun - vote Tory as the rest are really crap and dangerous
    Mail - vote Tory as the rest are really dangerous and really crap
    Telegraph - You kidding, we always vote Tory
    FT - vote Tory as they are crap but not as crap as the Marxists
    Express - vote Tory as Princess Diana would

The only surprise I guess is that the Indy failed to take a virulent anti-Tory stance as one would have expected.
    Presumably the Sundays all followed their respective Daily sister newspapers?
    Why? The Independent endorsed the Tory led coalition in 2015
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited June 2017

JackW said:

JackW said:

Human rights law featuring on both Sky and BBC with Sky saying it will be popular and predictably labour oppose. Corbyn on Sky endorsing human right laws enforcing the view he is soft on terrorism

Accordingly I'm sure you'll agree that the PM is soft on terrorism too because the Conservative manifesto explicitly retain Human Rights Acts despite all the terror attacks over the past few decades but before the Manchester and London attacks during the general election campaign and two days before polling day.
    She has just ramped up the debate and put labour on the wrong foot. I suppose that is politics
    Indeed. Likely to be effective but shabby and disreputable from the Prime Minister.
    Pfff. Its politics. its what politicians do. No need to get all huffy about it..
    It's not "huffy" and I accept it's politics but just 4 days after 7 deaths and dozens injured it's pretty disgusting and completely inaccurate of the PM to suggest the government doesn't have enough powers on the table presently.

They do. The Conservative government have chosen not to exercise them.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739

Jonathan said:

Her budget lasted two weeks. Her manifesto didn't survive the campaign That's a first.

She twists and turns with the wind. Not a leader. Not up to it. And what's worst is that the going has been oh so easy. She folds despite being barely challenged.

If it gets tough she'll melt.

saying it does not make it true you know...
    But it was true ("Her budget lasted two weeks. Her manifesto didn't survive the campaign") wasn't it?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

He might have put a Churchill bust in the Oval Office, but the truth about Trump is that he is demonstrably the most anti-British US president in living memory:
    https://twitter.com/champagne_lefty/status/872341289228013569

At the same time as President Clinton was inviting Adams to an event:

http://articles.latimes.com/1995-03-10/news/mn-41186_1_white-house

So maybe it's a tie for "most anti-British"?

Not sure what role Trump played in securing the GFA. Not sure how many fund-raising dinners for the Provos Clinton attended.

NORAID is an indelible stain on our American friends. But to pretend it's unique to Trump is specious. I suspect he only went because it was fashionable to do so and a good networking event
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,934

Roger said:

They've just announced that Diane Abbott has been taken ill and is taking time off untill after the General Election.

So Labour down to ten men as we move into extra time.

Sexist. Women can play football too.
    Only if played on a field of wheat in TM case
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,955
    Patrick said:

Roger said:

They've just announced that Diane Abbott has been taken ill and is taking time off untill after the General Election.

And that is clearly a filthy lie from Labour. She is toxic. They've realised she is toxic and can't afford to have her on telly for even a moment. She didn't have a migraine when she failed to vote (was filmed out drinking), she didn't suddenly get ill between the moment she was filmed absloutely fine in a tube station and her media appointment due only 10 minutes later yesterday. She is not ill now. She is getting pulled. Hidden away. Because she is a disgusting, repellant blob of ectoplasm. Voters are waking up to the risk of her running our national security machine and vomiting.
    You're not a fan?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

He might have put a Churchill bust in the Oval Office, but the truth about Trump is that he is demonstrably the most anti-British US president in living memory:

colal not dole, Sinn Fein - Trump's just an old leftie

he could stand for labour

Yep - the US alt-right and the British far left are very close on so many issues: pro-IRA, anti-EU, anti-Semitic, anti-NATO, pro-Putin ...

maybe farage and labour could merge

As I have said all along - a UKIP that leaned left on economics would have cleaned up in many of Labour's heartlands. It's too late now, though.
    I think you are right, though it would have taken them a while to get established. It was possibly the biggest threat to Labour.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

Jonathan said:

Her budget lasted two weeks. Her manifesto didn't survive the campaign That's a first.

She twists and turns with the wind. Not a leader. Not up to it. And what's worst is that the going has been oh so easy. She folds despite being barely challenged.

Weak, weak, weak.
  • Options
    Essexit said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

But surely he's changed his hairstyle since then?
    which is more than Gerry has done
    But Diane Abbott used to have an Afro! Now she wears it long and doesn't support the IRA.

More seriously didn't Trump used to be considered a sort of non-card carrying Democrat and quite close to the Clintons at that? Before he went crazy (or not - delete according to Party ID). Could be wrong but I seem to remember Cruz making an issue of it.
    Trump was there as a plant to make sure his BFF Hillary won, but decided he rather liked the idea of being President and went rogue.
    My father thinks the same thing about the Leave referendum with Gove and Boris,
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,256

HYUFD said:

Rubbish, in 1995 Trump was a Democrat for starters, Bill Clinton was friendly with Adams even as President, Obama said his closest ally was Merkel not May, Bush Snr was closer to Kohl than Thatcher etc, May was the first foreign leader invited to the White House by Trump for a reason

Whether Trump was a Democrat or not is irrelevant. He gave money to the Provos months before they started bombing in the UK again.

Yes, Trump invited May to the White House because he knew that she would prostrate herself and the UK in front of him. Despite all his policies and pronouncements being hostile to UK interests, as defined by May.

Trump backed Brexit unlike Hillary when few other leading world politicians would apart from former PM of Australia John Howard and a few European far right figures, Hillary would firmly have put the EU before the UK, Trump clearly prefers May to Macron and Merkel, Hillary would have preferred Merkel and Macron to May. In 1995 Trump backed the Clintons who also were friendly with Gerry Adams,, he had different views back then
  • Options
    PatrickPatrick Posts: 225
    Roger said:

Patrick said:

Roger said:

And that is clearly a filthy lie from Labour. She is toxic. They've realised she is toxic and can't afford to have her on telly for even a moment. She didn't have a migraine when she failed to vote (was filmed out drinking), she didn't suddenly get ill between the moment she was filmed absloutely fine in a tube station and her media appointment due only 10 minutes later yesterday. She is not ill now. She is getting pulled. Hidden away. Because she is a disgusting, repellant blob of ectoplasm. Voters are waking up to the risk of her running our national security machine and vomiting.
    You're not a fan?
    Whatever gave you that impression? ;-)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,033
    Mr. Eagles, whereas if the Conservatives win... the people lose?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Thats rubbish, they would have those headlines no matter what.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

Jonathan said:

But it was true ("Her budget lasted two weeks. Her manifesto didn't survive the campaign") wasn't it?
    survive/last// emotive and untruthful. the budget is still there as is the manifesto,
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052

tyson said:

Jonathan said:

Curious campaign. Didn't expect Corbyn to come out as the stronger in the two candidates. Didn't expect the LD to sink so completely. Didn't expect the Tories to throw away the economy.

I agree with you on it all.....but I still expect a Tory majority of circa 80-100......and then everything will be forgotten as May basks in her landslide and the Labour Party is utterly and hopelessly riven with division....

There is no need for division, There are two very important lessons for labour form this GE:
    1. In Brexit Britain you can pitch to voters form the left and not live in fear of the right wing press. These days there really are other ways to get your case in front of voters - especially during an election period.
    2. You cannot do any of the above and hope to win, if the person making the pitch has security and defence baggage stretching back years.

If both lessons are learned, Labour has no need to fall apart.

The very good news for Labour is that England and Wales have basically returned to the two party system. And one of those two parties is Labour. The Toriesd majority will mean there will be no talk of an election for a few years now, while Brexit - and the UK's poor negotiating position - will dominate the airwaves. That gives Labour time. There is no need for Corbyn to go immediately, he can be slowly transitioned out. With another leader, Labour will be in contention for 2022. And that is not something I would have written six weeks ago.

There is a great deal of logic to what you are saying......but you forget the personalities SO who will all behave quite disgracefully post Thursday....
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Idiot - the people win (nearly)every time as the party who wins the most votes/seats takes over.

But I guess even if the tories do get 45% of the people's vote 'the people' won't have won?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Jonathan said:

If you want to know what "car crash Brexit" looks like "car crash election" is the model. May has a combination of brittleness, pettiness and petulance that prefigures the next two years.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Independent - just vote

Economist - vote Lib Dem because Jean-Claude would
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    May's decided to fight fire with fire. About a week too late - if she'd said this last week, the complaints about police numbers would have been drowned in the furore over this. Each moan against will publicise it more and leave Jezza on thin ice.

Not necessarily good politics, but effective politics.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

survive/last// emotive and untruthful. the budget is still there as is the manifesto,
    Chuckle. It all went according to plan then. Only the appearance of embarrassing u turns. What a strategic genius. Awesome.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Rubbish, in 1995 Trump was a Democrat for starters, Bill Clinton was friendly with Adams even as President, Obama said his closest ally was Merkel not May, Bush Snr was closer to Kohl than Thatcher etc, May was the first foreign leader invited to the White House by Trump for a reason

Whether Trump was a Democrat or not is irrelevant. He gave money to the Provos months before they started bombing in the UK again.

Yes, Trump invited May to the White House because he knew that she would prostrate herself and the UK in front of him. Despite all his policies and pronouncements being hostile to UK interests, as defined by May.

Trump backed Brexit unlike Hillary when few other leading world politicians would apart from former PM of Australia John Howard and a few European far right figures, Hillary would firmly have put the EU before the UK, Trump clearly prefers May to Macron and Merkel, Hillary would have preferred Merkel and Macron to May. In 1995 Trump backed the Clintons who also were friendly with Gerry Adams,, he had different views back then
    Trump likes May > Macron > Merkel and not Merkel > May > Macron ?

And Noraid was more clearly about fundraising for the IRA than Jezza's contacts which can just about be fudged as Sinn Fein rather than IRA. Though based on reports of Trump's MO, I'd want to see the cleared cheques before accepting he actually gave money to any organisation.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    kle4 said:

surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

Chortle.......

ttps://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/872314207542398976
    ttps://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/872220735376326656

Call your grandfolks - and get an earful from them about what the 1970s were really like the last time we let the lunatics run the asylum?
    I'm not certain we should call Ted Heath a lunatic, but this just seems to be replay of what Obama did first time round.

There's no real downside to this for Labour, it's unlikely to cost them any votes and any gain is better than nothing.

In the big picture, it's too little, too late. You can't do this 48 hours prior to polling and expect it to work. There's a lesson for the next Labour leader though, from day 1 he should be putting vast energies into reaching to the 65+ demographics. Policy should be focused grouped at Saga, not at University. It's the vital election winning demographic they are failing with.
    Things did go wrong 78/9 for the Labour Government but TBH they were exacerbated by what had happened 70-74 under Heath. Wilson steadied the ship, especially after Oct 74. His resignation seemed, in retrospect, to upset things. What did throw everything of course were the oil crises and problems in the Middle East.

That’s my memory of those times, and I was 40 during the decade.
    PS. Plus of course, Northern Ireland. Which could be put down to 40+ years of ignoring Civil Rights by the Unionists.
    Do you see Corbyn and Abbott as of the same calibre as Callaghan & Rees? Or McDonald, Healey?
    Why do you think Abbott will be the Home Secretary or even be in the cabinet ?
    labour are presenting her as though she will be.
    http://news.sky.com/story/corbyn-refuses-to-say-abbott-will-keep-job-if-labour-wins-10906460

Actually Labour are not.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    edited June 2017
    kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Essexit said:

Amazed the 1/4 on Con Maj is still available. Just put £119.17 on it, which is about the most a small-timer like me would bet.

It briefly touched 1.31 on Betfair yesterday, which is a great price for what looks like free money.

1.1 for Con most seats is IMO bet-your-mortgage value, not that it should be encouraged to put irresponsibly large sums of money at stake of course.
    I've got £1k at 1.25 on the majority, and although I did get a little nervous when that 1% lead came up the other day I still think it's safe.

I think the result will be something like 44-35 and Lab will pile up votes in London and Surrey where they're no use, while Theresa May piles them up in the WM and NE marginals.
    Was shorthand for safe Tory seats in the south and the shires, where Labour will attract more votes than usual from middle class youngsters, but not gain any seats for their efforts.
    If it's a good night for the LDs then they will have clustered in target seats and not recovered in many southern seats. with ukip not standing in many I think there's a real possibility labour get second and become the anti Tory receptacle in places like the south west, which is terrible for the LDs in the long term.
    We are definitely seeing the rise of Labour down here in the SW. Lots more Labour posters. They're loud and they're proud.

Or they may just be Corbynistas who think they are going to win. Who will slink away on Friday morning. But it is vey telling that Farron hasn't been further south-west than Bristol these past four weeks.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Human rights law featuring on both Sky and BBC with Sky saying it will be popular and predictably labour oppose. Corbyn on Sky endorsing human right laws enforcing the view he is soft on terrorism

It is such an obvious bear trap.

Maybe add that 5% for shy Tories after all.

My only known LD schoolmate was talking about the need for stronger action in wartime on FB just yesterday...

Yep - it will do May plenty of good electorally. But it does show yet again what a flip-flopper she is when she is desperate for a positive headline in the Daily Mail. She is a profoundly weak PM.

Weakest Pm in my lifetime. Brown and Major both better.
    Until recently I thought Boris Johnson could not succeed her. Now I think he can. It's not difficult to think of another country where a retarded narcissist maniac has won high office.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    Cyan said:

RobD said:

Cyan said:

Last night I sold my investment in the Tories not getting a majority, at a small four-figure profit. I sold it when I saw the cover pages of the Daily Mail and especially of the filthy rag called the Sun. The Sun expresses so well what the Tories wish to do to this country. I don't believe the country can compete successfully with the Tories, the Sun, and the traitors in MI5 at the present time.

@RobD, to answer your question: you may not have seen the Sun's photo of Millwall thug Roy Lerner who fought the jihadist murderers in London and sustained injuries doing so. He is reported to have said "F*** you, I'm Millwall" before taking them on. The photo shows him in his hospital bed holding a Millwall flag. (Click here). (For the avoidance of doubt, even someone of Mr Lerner's ilk can do a brave and right action at the right time, and if the account of his response is accurate then on Saturday that is certainly what he did. In any event, I wish him a speedy recovery. But that does not stop him from being a Millwall thug.) I would have posted that photo here, but retaining a sense of ethics - clearly absent among the scumbags who have been spooking, spying on and lying about Diane Abbott - I chose not to. Really on the left hand side as well as a picture of Diane Abbott and a red flag, the image should have the ISIS flag and perhaps a picture of IRA men in their uniforms too. For full effect it could also include some far more bloody images. If the Tories win this election, as they almost certainly now will, this will be how they have done it. They have not done it by intellectual argument. Mass politics is mostly about emotion. This is the worst day for our country for a long long time. It is probably the lowest I have ever known the right-wing press stoop.
    Always good for a laugh, our Cyan.

I wonder how long before you blame the voters - that is generally the hallmark of the left.
  • Options
    tim80tim80 Posts: 99
    Putting it out here before the results come in.

The Tories have fought an OK campaign - better than average strategically but worse than average execution.

May has rightly and ruthlessly focused on the key swing gains this time round: Leave voting areas in the Midlands and North, where the Lab vote has been softening in recent years. Her rhetoric supports this, the Manifesto was aimed at this demographic more than traditional Tories ones (less to the right on economic issues, more to the right on other issues) and the Tories' campaign efforts have been focused here.

The Westminster bubble hates it. They'd prefer her to be doing more press conferences, drinking more lattes and speaking about metropolitan concerns. If she could confess to a bit of illegal drug use that would be all the better. For these people, her daughter of a vicar, serious about work routine almost suggests she doesn't know how to play the game.

Well, she has changed the rules of the game. She has ignored the commentariat's haughty advice (well represented in PB headers) and pressed on - as a result the Tories will smash through the 40% barrier for the first time since 1992. They will get a very healthy majority, definitely over 50 and pushing 100.

The days of Blair and Cameron, Osborne and Mandleson are gone. No more eeking out victories on low vote shares; more focus on substance and less on process. No more shifting of policies within a narrow spectrum defined by a small London elite. May has shown that immigration and human rights laws are up for debate.

And May will have her mandate, having made the right call to have this election now, to give her the extra couple of years for the Brexit process. This decision will also be proved a strategically wise move, both for party and country.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,050
    Charles said:

Not sure what role Trump played in securing the GFA. Not sure how many fund-raising dinners for the Provos Clinton attended.

NORAID is an indelible stain on our American friends. But to pretend it's unique to Trump is specious. I suspect he only went because it was fashionable to do so and a good networking event
    Was it not true that most of New York high society in the '80s and '90s went to these events? Don't make their cause right, of course.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556

Jonathan said:

I never really understand these "budget disaster" stories, at most one out of dozens of measures are dropped, and normally it's a trivial measure. It's not as though they tear up the whole thing and start again.
  • Options
    isam said:
    I hope she feels better soon. But I'm still not sorry about criticising her performances.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

kle4 said:

surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

Chortle.......

ttps://twitter.com/PolhomeEditor/status/872314207542398976
    ttps://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/872220735376326656

Call your grandfolks - and get an earful from them about what the 1970s were really like the last time we let the lunatics run the asylum?
    I'm not certain we should call Ted Heath a lunatic, but this just seems to be replay of what Obama did first time round.

There's no real downside to this for Labour, it's unlikely to cost them any votes and any gain is better than nothing.

In the big picture, it's too little, too late. You can't do this 48 hours prior to polling and expect it to work. There's a lesson for the next Labour leader though, from day 1 he should be putting vast energies into reaching to the 65+ demographics. Policy should be focused grouped at Saga, not at University. It's the vital election winning demographic they are failing with.
    Things did go wrong 78/9 for the Labour Government but TBH they were exacerbated by what had happened 70-74 under Heath. Wilson steadied the ship, especially after Oct 74. His resignation seemed, in retrospect, to upset things. What did throw everything of course were the oil crises and problems in the Middle East.

That’s my memory of those times, and I was 40 during the decade.
    PS. Plus of course, Northern Ireland. Which could be put down to 40+ years of ignoring Civil Rights by the Unionists.
    Do you see Corbyn and Abbott as of the same calibre as Callaghan & Rees? Or McDonald, Healey?
    Why do you think Abbott will be the Home Secretary or even be in the cabinet ?
    labour are presenting her as though she will be.
    http://news.sky.com/story/corbyn-refuses-to-say-abbott-will-keep-job-if-labour-wins-10906460

Actually Labour are not.
    I meant in the general sense of her being their home affairs spokesperson. Plus that was a recent change which many won't have seen.
  • Options
    isam said:
    We'll take that as a "No" then in terms of your continuing to have confidence in her.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, reminds me of a Kevin Maguire tweet. He said May would win the election with an increased majority, but wasn't popular.

I do think a lot of her support is very reluctant, but that juxtaposition in a single tweet amused me.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,461
    Paper reviews were poor for labour but of course tomorrow the political content will be out of bounds
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    the bitterness of defeat is showing out this morning.
  • Options
    Until she stops saying mad shit, they mean.

Could be the last we see of her.....
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Cyan said:

The Daily Mail boasts of how a pseudonymous email operative pretended to be Seumas Milne and tricked Diane Abbott to send him details of her illness.

An illness which the PM also suffers from, has been candid and open about (unlike Ms Abbott) and as a result has had questions raised about 'is she up to the job' 'she looks ill' and so forth.

DIABETIC Mrs May laughed off Labour smears that she was too “unwell” to be PM — and insisted there were “no limits” to her abilities.

She said her general health was good and her daily insulin injections had never got in the way of doing her job.

After Mrs May, who has Type 1 diabetes, skipped a live TV debate and radio appearance, Corbyn ally Paul Mason told the BBC: “We’re actually entitled to ask, is she unwell?”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3716834/theresa-may-comes-out-fighting-and-vows-to-boost-economy-and-put-britain-on-right-path-for-decades/

The Mail does not directly mention Ms Abbott's illness (you have to search the original tweets).

A case of Motes & Beams I think....
    I'm guessing that by "directly mention" you mean "specify". The Daily Mail does mention her illness, in the sense of saying she is ill. It does not say she is diabetic. It also says that in her email correspondence with the Tory dirty tricks guy she reveals "private details about her health and says she is hesitant to tell 'untruths' about it in the press". I would have thought that using impersonation to trick details out of somebody about their illness constitutes a crime, and I hope both the operative and those who paid and instructed him serve jail time.

Diane Abbott comes out of this story as a very honourable person.

As for your quoting the bible, there's a god of right-wing dirty tricks?
  • Options
    glw said:

Jonathan said:

I never really understand these "budget disaster" stories, at most one out of dozens of measures are dropped, and normally it's a trivial measure. It's not as though they tear up the whole thing and start again.
    Agreed.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,955
    Looking ahead to 2022 it could be Johnson V Murray V Leech....
  • Options

isam said:
    We'll take that as a "No" then in terms of your continuing to have confidence in her.
    Odds on McDonnell "feeling a bit poorly" next?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,403
    edited June 2017
    OchEye said:

Oh, and for all those Ruthie fanciers, she is not popular in SCON. She was going to lose her constituency support in Glasgow before she decided to move to Edinburgh, and from gossip, she is seemingly not popular here, either, in the local party. Too much blatant ambition, and too little humility.

While I may agree with your general points about Ruthy, since she was a Glasgow list msp, what had her already minimal Glasgow constituency support to do with anything?

Well done on keeping the tattered SLab flag flying tho'!
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    I don't necessarily agree with TSE that May will have been diminished by the election. If she secures her own watertight mandate i.e a majority in excess of 40 or more and becomes more collegiate in approach having been chastened by and drawing lessons from the general election experience it might instead be the making of her and her government. Gove must return if only to boost her talent pool..
  • Options
    TravelJunkieTravelJunkie Posts: 431

alex. said:

There's a lesson for the next Labour leader though, from day 1 he should be putting vast energies into reaching to the 65+ demographics. Policy should be focused grouped at Saga, not at University. It's the vital election winning demographic they are failing with.

Or she.

I agree, and you can extend the lesson.

If you want to put roughly 1/4 of your entire current spending pledges into one headline policy, it's better to make the main beneficiaries those who are old enough to vote. So focus on writing off a large amount of tuition fee debt of those in their late 20s and 30s as well as reducing the additional 9% income tax rate that all basic rate taxpaying graduates this millenia effectively pay, rather than putting all your eggs into abolishing tuition fees for a new generation of future voters aged 18 or less.
    What about a compromise between the two? Make student loan repayments tax deductible?
    Imagine the fun Labour would have if the Tories proposed a policy to subsidise higher rate tax payers?
    imagine the country we would live, if partisan tories put country first party second.

matter of time before tory mps remove her.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    edited June 2017
  • Options
    Interesting wording. 'Been asked to' stand aside due to illness, not ' is standing down' due to it.
  • Options

You'll get over it. On the Labour side this election has been energising whatever the result.
  • Options
    Mr. Root, we don't know the result yet. Nobody is defeated until we know that.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

nunu said:

What is everyone's biggest shock result that could possibly come off (but probably won't)? For me:

Ayr, Carrick and Cumnock. SCon GAIN!

Tories 40% +20%

SNP 38% -11%

Labour 21% -6%

Others down 3%.

I think Nicola's bombshell will mean the Union vote rallies round the Tories, even if they don't take this.

Hope so. I'm on that at 14/1.
    Keep hoping, the SLAB bounce is nothing to do with Kezia, it's all about Corbyn. The executive is widely believed to be infested with Blairittes, who have been wearing out knee pads in the expectation of a return by the great one. The membership of the SLAB has decreased over the past years to around 14k, while at the same time, the SNP has increased to 150k. That a lot of SNP members are not happy with their own executive for u-turning, bad record of national administration and others....

After this election is wrapped up, I think there will be a lot of pressure on all the different Scottish parties executives for major changes.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Mr Patrick,

For once, I believe Jezza. Abbott was not just incoherent in her last interview, she was punch drunk - so bad that I assumed she had a high temperature at the very least.

You'd have got more sense out of my four-year-old grandson. She's bad, but she's not that bad.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Cyan said:

RobD said:

Cyan said:

@RobD, to answer your question: you may not have seen the Sun's photo of Millwall thug Roy Larner who fought the jihadist murderers in London and sustained injuries doing so. He is reported to have said "F*** you, I'm Millwall" before taking them on. The photo shows him in his hospital bed holding a Millwall flag. I would have posted that photo here, but retaining a sense of ethics - clearly absent among the scumbags who have been spooking, spying on and lying about Diane Abbott - I chose not to. Really on the left hand side as well as a picture of Diane Abbott and a red flag, the image should have the ISIS flag and perhaps a picture of IRA men in their uniforms too. For full effect it could also include some far more bloody images. If the Tories win this election, as they almost certainly now will, this will be how they have done it. They have not done it by intellectual argument. Mass politics is mostly about emotion. This is the worst day for our country for a long long time.
    I support neither party. I think your argument is deluded. The newspapers will always be right wing because of the type of people who buy the, just as the BBC will always be left wing because of the type of people who work there. If Diane Abbott was Dave Abbott and and was a white Tory man then we would still be saying he was totally incompetent and wondering why they kept sending him to do interviews. And as for emotion and mass politics. Corbyn stands in front of crowds telling them what they want to hear - some rich person you don't know will pay for all these goodies. He has also introduced a massive middle class bribe on tuition fees, twice the size of increased spending in schools and NHS and Welfare benefits all which according to him are in crisis. Frankly the Tory campaign has been totally incompetent too because it should have been front and centre pointing these things out. Theresa May should have been nowhere near any of the negative stuff about Corbyn, she should have used all her ministers much more. Frankly if Labour has been led by Ed Milliband they would probably have got a majority.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,603
    kle4 said:

Interesting wording. 'Been asked to' stand aside due to illness, not ' is standing down' due to it.
    Er. Horse has bolted surely? The election is tomorrow.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

You'll get over it. On the Labour side this election has been energising whatever the result.
    But if a waste of energy if it ends up with them on 160-170 though (not that I expect that - comfortably over 200)
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    I wonder if the mail thing was supposed to run in Sunday's second edition and was deferred by events.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Jonathan said:

Curious campaign. Didn't expect Corbyn to come out as the stronger in the two candidates. Didn't expect the LD to sink so completely. Didn't expect the Tories to throw away the economy.

I agree with you on it all.....but I still expect a Tory majority of circa 80-100......and then everything will be forgotten as May basks in her landslide and the Labour Party is utterly and hopelessly riven with division....

There is no need for division, There are two very important lessons for labour form this GE:
    1. In Brexit Britain you can pitch to voters form the left and not live in fear of the right wing press. These days there really are other ways to get your case in front of voters - especially during an election period.
    2. You cannot do any of the above and hope to win, if the person making the pitch has security and defence baggage stretching back years.

If both lessons are learned, Labour has no need to fall apart.

The very good news for Labour is that England and Wales have basically returned to the two party system. And one of those two parties is Labour. The Toriesd majority will mean there will be no talk of an election for a few years now, while Brexit - and the UK's poor negotiating position - will dominate the airwaves. That gives Labour time. There is no need for Corbyn to go immediately, he can be slowly transitioned out. With another leader, Labour will be in contention for 2022. And that is not something I would have written six weeks ago.

There is a great deal of logic to what you are saying......but you forget the personalities SO who will all behave quite disgracefully post Thursday....
    I am not sure that they will.

For all his many faults Jez has fought a hell of a campaign and that will surely build some bridges. He will be too old in 22, so there is time. to transition. All is not lost.

My head and forecast is Con 76 seat majority, but I would love to see NOC. There is no real risk of Jezz as PM with a majority. It would require 100 gains, and even a Lab plurality 50. It is safe to be Anyone But May, it is a free hit.
  • Options

Mr. kle4, reminds me of a Kevin Maguire tweet. He said May would win the election with an increased majority, but wasn't popular.

I do think a lot of her support is very reluctant, but that juxtaposition in a single tweet amused me.

Blair in 2005 being a good example, Labour might lose this time on a higher share of the vote.
  • Options
    Sky showing Dermot Murnaghan interview with Diane Abbott again
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    edited June 2017
    Sandpit said:

Charles said:

Was it not true that most of New York high society in the '80s and '90s went to these events? Don't make their cause right, of course.
    When I used to spend a lot of time in upstate NJ late 80's early 90's I was told by colleagues that if out in a bar and NORAID came round with a tin to put five dollars in and keep my mouth shut and try not to look English! It did happen a couple of times and I took the advice having looked around and seen the minders with the collector
  • Options
    JonWCJonWC Posts: 285

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Essexit said:

We are definitely seeing the rise of Labour down here in the SW. Lots more Labour posters. They're loud and they're proud.

Or they may just be Corbynistas who think they are going to win. Who will slink away on Friday morning. But it is vey telling that Farron hasn't been further south-west than Bristol these past four weeks.
    Though the LibDems will do pitifully in the West Country there is almost no chance of them being replaced by Labour as the main anti-Tory force outside the cities. Local election results tell us that much..
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    edited June 2017
    tim80 said:

The Tories have fought an OK campaign - better than average strategically but worse than average execution.

May has rightly and ruthlessly focused on the key swing gains this time round: Leave voting areas in the Midlands and North, where the Lab vote has been softening in recent years. Her rhetoric supports this, the Manifesto was aimed at this demographic more than traditional Tories ones (less to the right on economic issues, more to the right on other issues) and the Tories' campaign efforts have been focused here.

The Westminster bubble hates it. They'd prefer her to be doing more press conferences, drinking more lattes and speaking about metropolitan concerns. If she could confess to a bit of illegal drug use that would be all the better. For these people, her daughter of a vicar, serious about work routine almost suggests she doesn't know how to play the game.

Well, she has changed the rules of the game. She has ignored the commentariat's haughty advice (well represented in PB headers) and pressed on - as a result the Tories will smash through the 40% barrier for the first time since 1992. They will get a very healthy majority, definitely over 50 and pushing 100.

The days of Blair and Cameron, Osborne and Mandleson are gone. No more eeking out victories on low vote shares; more focus on substance and less on process. No more shifting of policies within a narrow spectrum defined by a small London elite. May has shown that immigration and human rights laws are up for debate.

And May will have her mandate, having made the right call to have this election now, to give her the extra couple of years for the Brexit process. This decision will also be proved a strategically wise move, both for party and country.

I agree entirely.

This is proper retail politics based on a great strategy: taking votes off the opposition by appealing to their voters whilst doing the right thing for the country.

The media hate it. The Cameroons hate it (because it shows up their piddling LD strategy).

Tory activists love it.
  • Options
    TravelJunkieTravelJunkie Posts: 431

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Essexit said:

They care about their country!

The only thing you do is talk to them about the ira and hide your partisan interests that you don't give a damn about the country, your sole purpose in life is to represent the interests of the tory party.

There are times when its in the interests of the country to vote conservative like in 2010.

You refuse to put the national interest first; you support cuts to public services that can't take anymore, pay for nurses/police below inflation, more terrorism on our streets because may won't give the right resources and you knock on peoples doors to get tax cuts for rich people.

shame on you. this country is poorer because of your desperate loyalty to your party.

what the tory party did to the liberal democrats was bad for the democratic process in this country.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Er. Horse has bolted surely? The election is tomorrow.
    I meant to put stand aside both times. The point was her phrasing implies without saying that the party asked her to take a break, rather than she told them she needed a break.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    Is Tracey Crouch a possible next Tory Leader? What are best odds?

This is slightly remarkable:

https://twitter.com/DrBrianMay/status/872277427485114371

• Options

Course we do - the traitors at mi5 have seen to it.
  • Options
    Sky making a good case of derogating from human rights law over terrorism
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    Mortimer said:

Cyan said:

RobD said:

Cyan said:

I wonder how long before you blame the voters - that is generally the hallmark of the left.
    His partner in crime Traveljunkie has already been doing that in spades. Apparently we are all going to hell for that ultimate crime of voting Tory.
  • Options
    Is Mike having a late lie-in this morning in readiness for an all-nighter tomorrow?
  • Options
    JonWC said:

kle4 said:

Sandpit said:

surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Essexit said:

Though the LibDems will do pitifully in the West Country there is almost no chance of them being replaced by Labour as the main anti-Tory force outside the cities. Local election results tell us that much..
    It's a long term thing if LDs don't pick up. Had several labour seconds round my way, and in parliamentaries they look like staying behind labour this time too.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987

Sky making a good case of derogating from human rights law over terrorism

Makes you wonder why the Tories did not mention it in their manifesto, doesn't it?

Is that a dead cat over there?

• Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Mortimer said:

tim80 said:

I agree entirely.

This is proper retail politics based on a great strategy: taking votes off the opposition by appealing to their voters whilst doing the right thing for the country.

The media hate it. The Cameroons hate it (because it shows up their piddling LD strategy).

Tory activists love it.
    You need the right strategy at the right time. Don't forget tories only won a majority in 2015 by GAINING 24 seats mainly off the LibDems.
  • Options
    Rhubarb said:

I wonder if the mail thing was supposed to run in Sunday's second edition and was deferred by events.

Different editors.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,342
    kle4 said:

Idiot - the people win (nearly)every time as the party who wins the most votes/seats takes over.

But I guess even if the tories do get 45% of the people's vote 'the people' won't have won?
    Well 48% of "the people" certainly didn't win last June, so how can just 45%?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Course we do - the traitors at mi5 have seen to it.
    Not if we all bring our own pens to the polling booths!!!
  • Options
    JamesMJamesM Posts: 221
    Really interesting analysis from Tim80 below. You have made me reflect on the distinction between strategy and tactics in a GE, and I think you could well be on to something. I will put my prediction for the GE on later. From my analysis, campaign anecdotes and my gut I am not seeing huge enthusiasm for the GE which supports the idea of many undecideds out there. Both major parties are not dancing in the streets popular, but there seems to be a sense of people regarding Mrs May and the Conservatives as the least worse option and I think they will fall for the blues. There has been explicit scepticism of Corbyn too and often in quite choice words.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,793
    Essexit said:

Independent - just vote

I saw a chap carrying a copy of "The Socialist" on the train last night. I think they are backing Corbyn.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,735

I used to like Tracey Crouch, then I found out she was a Spurs fan.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    edited June 2017

Until she stops saying mad shit, they mean.

Could be the last we see of her.....
    It has surprised me the deterioration since she was on This Week. She held her own on their against two good media performers, I thought she was genuinely likeable.

I think there are a couple of things for Corbyn and his gang though - they have never needed to know any of this stuff for media interviews before. They've not had this junior ministerial slog, with minor TV interviews etc, I,e we remember Chloe Smith being mauled in a Paxman interview. None of the Corbyn gang have had this, they have done what Jeremy has done in this campaign spoken to rallies of people who support their view already. Corbyn needs to find some better media performers if he is going to survive as leader in the medium term.
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359

Rhubarb said:

Different editors.
    Use it or loose it? And they wouldn't be the first org to sell one thing from one division to another.
  • Options

Essexit said:

Independent - just vote

I saw a chap carrying a copy of "The Socialist" on the train last night. I think they are backing Corbyn.
    Corbyn is aiming for the crucial Morning Star swing vote
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Roger said:

So on balance are you a fan though?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,793
    Roger said:

Most of our best players are sat in the stands. Hopefully not considering a summer transfer.
  • Options

Crouch is anti fox hunting
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,403
  • Options

Cyan said:

(...)

@RobD, to answer your question: you may not have seen the Sun's photo of Millwall thug Roy Larner who fought the jihadist murderers in London and sustained injuries doing so. He is reported to have said "F*** you, I'm Millwall" before taking them on. The photo shows him in his hospital bed holding a Millwall flag. I would have posted that photo here, but retaining a sense of ethics - clearly absent among the scumbags who have been spooking, spying on and lying about Diane Abbott - I chose not to. Really on the left hand side as well as a picture of Diane Abbott and a red flag, the image should have the ISIS flag and perhaps a picture of IRA men in their uniforms too. For full effect it could also include some far more bloody images. If the Tories win this election, as they almost certainly now will, this will be how they have done it. They have not done it by intellectual argument. Mass politics is mostly about emotion. This is the worst day for our country for a long long time.

I support neither party. I think your argument is deluded. The newspapers will always be right wing because of the type of people who buy the, just as the BBC will always be left wing because of the type of people who work there. If Diane Abbott was Dave Abbott and and was a white Tory man then we would still be saying he was totally incompetent and wondering why they kept sending him to do interviews. And as for emotion and mass politics. Corbyn stands in front of crowds telling them what they want to hear - some rich person you don't know will pay for all these goodies. He has also introduced a massive middle class bribe on tuition fees, twice the size of increased spending in schools and NHS and Welfare benefits all which according to him are in crisis. Frankly the Tory campaign has been totally incompetent too because it should have been front and centre pointing these things out. Theresa May should have been nowhere near any of the negative stuff about Corbyn, she should have used all her ministers much more. Frankly if Labour has been led by Ed Milliband they would probably have got a majority.
    You say my argument is deluded and then you say the "God Save the Queen"-playing BBC is left wing!
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    TSE: Not sure if Gove would be the right choice, if only for, as someone else remarked, that when ever they saw Gove's face, they always felt that it needed a good slap. And a more slappable face is not in UK politics.

Of course, having Mrs Gove as a supporter and trumpet blower in the Mail might be seen by some as good, while too many others might not.
  • Options
    tim80 said:

Interesting analysis. I'm sure ther'll be lots of post match analysis. All part of the fun. Aa a Tory footsoldier in key Northern marginals I might even put in my two penn'orth when the dust settles.
  • Options
    PatrickPatrick Posts: 225
    CD13 said:

Mr Patrick,

For once, I believe Jezza. Abbott was not just incoherent in her last interview, she was punch drunk - so bad that I assumed she had a high temperature at the very least.

You'd have got more sense out of my four-year-old grandson. She's bad, but she's not that bad.

Never give socialists the benefit of the doubt. They're like bindweed. Has she given any interview in the last 30 years when she wasn't an incoherent lefty gimp? No.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Cyan said:

RobD said:

Cyan said:

I am sure you are an expert on the left. People are responsible for how they vote.
  • Options

Patrick said:

Roger said:

So on balance are you a fan though?
    Either way, it is all far too late.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,929
    Is it prediction time?

Here's mine.
    Tory majority of 150.

Labour do well in London, Bristol, Brighton and in vote share largely where they don't need it (safe Labour and safe Tory seats where they hoover up the protest vote), but badly everywhere else.

Headline on the 9th - May silences doubters or some such equivalent.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,549
    timmo said:

Last night i learnt that in the House of Commons MPs will only ever shake hands with other MPs on the first time that they meet them.After that the convention is not ti do soo. I think this basic idea of greeting one another can lead to a lack of civility the like of which we continue to witness in todays politics.

Interesting. We have the same tradition in Parliament House in Edinburgh amongst advocates. You only shake their hands once. I wonder where this nonsense came from.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,563
    edited June 2017
    Cyan said:

Cyan said:

The Daily Mail boasts of how a pseudonymous email operative pretended to be Seumas Milne and tricked Diane Abbott to send him details of her illness.

An illness which the PM also suffers from, has been candid and open about (unlike Ms Abbott) and as a result has had questions raised about 'is she up to the job' 'she looks ill' and so forth.

DIABETIC Mrs May laughed off Labour smears that she was too “unwell” to be PM — and insisted there were “no limits” to her abilities.

She said her general health was good and her daily insulin injections had never got in the way of doing her job.

After Mrs May, who has Type 1 diabetes, skipped a live TV debate and radio appearance, Corbyn ally Paul Mason told the BBC: “We’re actually entitled to ask, is she unwell?”

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3716834/theresa-may-comes-out-fighting-and-vows-to-boost-economy-and-put-britain-on-right-path-for-decades/

The Mail does not directly mention Ms Abbott's illness (you have to search the original tweets).

A case of Motes & Beams I think....
    I'm guessing that by "directly mention" you mean "specify". The Daily Mail does mention her illness, in the sense of saying she is ill. It does not say she is diabetic. It also says that in her email correspondence with the Tory dirty tricks guy she reveals "private details about her health and says she is hesitant to tell 'untruths' about it in the press". I would have thought that using impersonation to trick details out of somebody about their illness constitutes a crime, and I hope both the operative and those who paid and instructed him serve jail time.

Diane Abbott comes out of this story as a very honourable person.

As for your quoting the bible, there's a god of right-wing dirty tricks?
    Pranking people should be illegal?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Let's assume labour are going to lose, what impact will it have on the enthusiasm of labours new members when they get up on Saturday morning, having been out drowning their sorrows and blaming everything from MSM to MI5. Will they take a short break and then get down to the serious work of winning elections or will they melt away and revert to there normal pastimes
  • Options

They've not had this junior ministerial slog, with minor TV interviews etc, I,e we remember Chloe Smith being mauled in a Paxman interview. None of the Corbyn gang have had this, they have done what Jeremy has done in this campaign spoken to rallies of people who support their view already. Corbyn needs to find some better media performers if he is going to survive as leader in the medium term.

Yeah there's a huge difference between being on a show to attack the government and being on a show to defend your manifesto. Of course even if you aren't much cop at that, you should still be expected to be able to memorise a few numbers and read a crib sheet.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,987
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Of course Trump prefers May to Macron and Merkel - she will never cause him any problems. She will prostrate herself and her country at his feet. What is not to like? But the fact is that Trump's major strategic objectives all run contrary to UK interests in a way that we have not seen from a US president in decades; he actively supported the provisional IRA in the 1990s; and his first reaction to a terrorist atrocity in our capital city was to seek to score cheap political points from it. He is profoundly anti-British.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Norm said:

I don't necessarily agree with TSE that May will have been diminished by the election. If she secures her own watertight mandate i.e a majority in excess of 40 or more and becomes more collegiate in approach having been chastened by and drawing lessons from the general election experience it might instead be the making of her and her government. Gove must return if only to boost her talent pool..

TSE is correct.

Mrs May has been significantly diminished by the campaign, that frankly has been an absolute shambles from start of finish. She has truly become the "Poundshop Prime Minister".

The Conservatives are saved on the electoral high street by the fact that Jezza's Labour party are bankrupt stock, UKIP are going into liquidation and the LibDems retain only a few market stalls through out the land.

The PM is a very lucky politician .... for now.
This discussion has been closed.