Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters stick with the ICM/ComRes view of the election – not Y

Comments

• Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

The head of A&E at the Royal London Hospital was interviewed on Radio 4 this morning:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/london-attack-trauma-surgeon-malach-ramadan-van-bridge-borough-market-stabbing-victims-not-speak-a7772846.html

This bit leapt out to me:

"Dr Ramadhan said the reason so many people were able to come in and work was because they had been waiting for something like the attack to happen.

He said people working in trauma and emergency care had recently not been doing what they would usually do on a Saturday night.

“People are ready. The major trauma system in London has been preparing for something to happen" he explained. “So doctors like myself who might be going to Borough to see friends... on Saturday night we had a lot of people who were completely sober and ready to help the public"."

The quiet way in which some of our citizens give up part of their private life as a precaution for the rest of us is humbling.

consensus at my workplace seems to be Birmingham is next

- large muslim population
    - disaffected young preferring C7 to C21
    - all attacks have been started by locals

the grim betting is that Broad Street ( weekend funspot ) is most likely target
    Do you work at MI5 ?

do you work in Birmingham ?
    actually Y0kel was dropping some big hints that Brum will be next.
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649
    TOPPING said:

pbr2013 said:

Is it too early to nominate @The_Apocalypse as poster of the year? Open-minded, sticks up for herself but prepared to take on board different views? And of course outside the standard PB demographic.

Between her and @RochdalePioneers.
    Nah. @RochdalePioneers has gone all weirdly triumphalist.
  • Options
    TMA1TMA1 Posts: 225
    Chris said:

TMA1 said:

DavidL said:

dr_spyn said:

Jezza in need of a lie down.

https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/871753145445208064

Liverpool attacks?

Has he had a tip off?
    Corbyn is a rank nasty disgusting evil barsteward of the highest order. Not fit to lace the shoelaces of Roy Mason although he does see fit to lick Gerry Adams' arse.
    What an odious pile of rancid vomit that man is.
    But will you be voting for him or not?
    Difficult. Depends who polls me and their methodologies. Its tough work trying to game the system and then there are my Russian handlers to consider.

Actually I am on holiday and my postal vote did not arrive before we left.
    Safe tory seat where they weigh the vote.
    My wife and I probably cancel each other out!!
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    nunu said:

Apperently a labour source said the postal votes don't look good for labour in Ealing central! if true then this is a landslide.

We heard a lot of those sorts of rumours a few weeks ago at the height of the Labpocalypse predictions. There may or may not be validity to them, but right now I'll take anything that sounds vaguely encouraging, so thank you.

3 days, 4 hours and 42 minutes to the exit poll. Tick, tock...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402
    nunu said:

Apperently a labour source said the postal votes don't look good for labour in Ealing central! if true then this is a landslide.

Is that not a criminal offence to disclose that (assuming it has not just come from their canvassing)?

Given that most postal votes are for oldies and given Corbyn's standing with oldies a poor result in the postals is surely pretty much nailed on (and a challenge for the Exit Poll as well).
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,727
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

I think it could be the other way around. The Democrats will likely take the House next year, get overconfident and pick a left liberal like Warren who Trump will beat having been forced to the centre.

In London Alan Sugar loathes Khan judging by his Twitter feed and having endorsed May in this general election might be tempted to run in the Tory primary, he would certainly have a better chance of beating Khan than Goldsmith did
    Anyone who has been on The Apprentice should be banned.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    Cyclefree said:

jonny83 said:

Peter Salliss passes away peacefully at the ripe old age of 96

I loved Last of the Summer Wine. Sad news, but a good innings.
    Oh no. He will forever be Wallace from Wallace and Gromit. For me anyway. The number of times our family has watched those films...... masterpieces each and every one though The Wrong Trousers still edges it for me.
    Curse of the Were-Rabbit is the best IMHO.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    pbr2013 said:

TOPPING said:

pbr2013 said:

Is it too early to nominate @The_Apocalypse as poster of the year? Open-minded, sticks up for herself but prepared to take on board different views? And of course outside the standard PB demographic.

Between her and @RochdalePioneers.
    Nah. @RochdalePioneers has gone all weirdly triumphalist.
    Yes today has not been their best. But generally..
  • Options
    nunu said:

Cyclefree said:

The head of A&E at the Royal London Hospital was interviewed on Radio 4 this morning:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/london-attack-trauma-surgeon-malach-ramadan-van-bridge-borough-market-stabbing-victims-not-speak-a7772846.html

"Dr Ramadhan said the reason so many people were able to come in and work was because they had been waiting for something like the attack to happen.

He said people working in trauma and emergency care had recently not been doing what they would usually do on a Saturday night.

“People are ready. The major trauma system in London has been preparing for something to happen" he explained. “So doctors like myself who might be going to Borough to see friends... on Saturday night we had a lot of people who were completely sober and ready to help the public"."

The quiet way in which some of our citizens give up part of their private life as a precaution for the rest of us is humbling.

That interview was very humbling.
    what is C7 and C21?
    7th and 21st Centuries, presumably?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    edited June 2017
    nunu said:

Someone else clearly had info on "The Sheffield seats" - reckoned Labour were going to win 4. Implies Clegg is safe (Unless he is vulnerable to the Tories) and Stocksbridge is in trouble.

Tweets were deleted shortly after as he was worried he had broken the law.
    Nevertheless he did post the stuff.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    TMA1 said:

RobD said:

Michael Crick @MichaelLCrick

Today Corbyn is visiting 4 Labour seats in North East. The average Lab majority in the seats is 9,084, or 22.9%. Why is Labour so defensive?

A good question Mr Crick.

Beat me to it! But very odd..
    Simples. When the campaign started we were 20%+ behind in the polls. Which meant we were on track to lose places like Hartlepool to the Tories.
    Labour haven't changed their plans since then?
    I think that Gordon Brown visited mostly Safe Labour or Semi- marginal seats from 2005 in the GE in 2010. I think they did this because outside of Labour, Brown was very unpopular. I suspect the same might be true with Corbyn. The left love him but anyone who is anything other than Labour are not well disposed to him. That is 70% of the population in all probability!
    My memory is that Brown and Blair went round campaigning together with Bown as Blairs human shield as he was so unpopular with the labour faithful. They kept buying each othe ice creams as I recall to show that they really likedveach other.
    Oh how we laughed.
    You are correct about 2005 and the ice creams with Blair, however I was talking about 2010. Brown in 2010 seemed to avoid truly marginal seats, I think the Labour candidates did not want to be linked to Brown . Scotland may have been different as he seemed to connect with voters in that part of the UK. But in England, Brown just went to safe Labour seats

Interestingly, I have seen Labour leaflets with no pictures of Corbyn or mentions of him.
  • Options

Do you work at MI5 ?

Luton, Yorks/Lancs mill towns and environs. It's the environs where armed police response might be slow which worry me.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,977

SeanT said:

Yorkcity said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    Why is Sadiq popular? H's done F all except preside over increased knife crime and cancelled a bridge.

Genuine confuzzled. He seems like an empty space to me, and not even charismatic in that Boris way. Answers welcome.
    He is the first Muslim Mayor in a major western city .Also the son of a bus driver . Working class lad made good .
    It's enough for the first six months, I'd have thought. But eventually you have to start doing *something*
    "What is to be done?" As a Londoner, what changes would you like that fall within the Mayor's remit? All I can remember about Boris's 8-year stint is (a) he kept Ken and his mates out of office and (b) he introduced a network of clunky bicycles that still bear his name. If Khan goes 4 years without causing any damage it will be enough to secure re-election, though by then he may be needed elsewhere.

Housing is the obvious area, but that will take a bit of time. The mayor needs more powers if he is to be anything other than a PR man for London.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    DavidL said:

nunu said:

Is that not a criminal offence to disclose that (assuming it has not just come from their canvassing)?

Given that most postal votes are for oldies and given Corbyn's standing with oldies a poor result in the postals is surely pretty much nailed on (and a challenge for the Exit Poll as well).
    Don't students vote by postal vote aswell? This constituency will have a lot of students at red bricks, many going to London uni's so that won't make any difference but many also across the country.
  • Options

SeanT said:

nunu said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:
    Why is Sadiq popular? H's done F all except preside over increased knife crime and cancelled a bridge.

Genuine confuzzled. He seems like an empty space to me, and not even charismatic in that Boris way. Answers welcome.
    Increased knife crime is May's fault. She insisted on ending stop and search against police wishes. No love for either of them tho. There is something about him that is very untrustworthy.
    Yeah. Ending stop and search was BOLLOCKS. But I don't see Sadiq clamouring to reintroduce it.
    Ofcourse not, May ended it because of endless harping on from Labour about how it was ethnic profiling by the back door.

That's how strong and stable Theresa May is :-D

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    nunu said:

Cyclefree said:

That interview was very humbling.
    what is C7 and C21?
    I guessed 7th and 21st centuries.......
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I think it could be the other way around. The Democrats will likely take the House next year, get overconfident and pick a left liberal like Warren who Trump will beat having been forced to the centre.

In London Alan Sugar loathes Khan judging by his Twitter feed and having endorsed May in this general election might be tempted to run in the Tory primary, he would certainly have a better chance of beating Khan than Goldsmith did

Its a very small sample but the evidence is compelling.

Edit, damn, screwed the cutting up.
  • Options
    pbr2013 said:

Do you work at MI5 ?

Luton, Yorks/Lancs mill towns and environs. It's the environs where armed police response might be slow which worry me.
    Me too. I live in a country town, which is exactly the sort of place where a mass casualty terror attack might actually be the most lethal. It might take as long as half-an-hour for the nearest armed support to be summoned and make its way to us from 15-20 miles away. I don't think anyone's safe from these people anywhere, really.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Do you work at MI5 ?

My opinion is that the cycle will not change. Low- level insurgency. But they will do a school Beslan style one day and then all bets will be off.
  • Options

Cracking life, Gromit.

RIP
    Absolutely.
    As a younger actor of course he played a nice line in psychotic baddies.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,436
    TMA1 said:

RobD said:

Michael Crick @MichaelLCrick

Today Corbyn is visiting 4 Labour seats in North East. The average Lab majority in the seats is 9,084, or 22.9%. Why is Labour so defensive?

A good question Mr Crick.

Beat me to it! But very odd..
    Simples. When the campaign started we were 20%+ behind in the polls. Which meant we were on track to lose places like Hartlepool to the Tories.
    Labour haven't changed their plans since then?
    I think that Gordon Brown visited mostly Safe Labour or Semi- marginal seats from 2005 in the GE in 2010. I think they did this because outside of Labour, Brown was very unpopular. I suspect the same might be true with Corbyn. The left love him but anyone who is anything other than Labour are not well disposed to him. That is 70% of the population in all probability!
    My memory is that Brown and Blair went round campaigning together with Bown as Blairs human shield as he was so unpopular with the labour faithful. They kept buying each othe ice creams as I recall to show that they really likedveach other.
    Oh how we laughed.
    They did, but that was 2005. By 2010 Brown was struggling with the popularity issue.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

SeanT said:

Yorkcity said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

He is the first Muslim Mayor in a major western city .Also the son of a bus driver . Working class lad made good .
    It's enough for the first six months, I'd have thought. But eventually you have to start doing *something*
    "What is to be done?" As a Londoner, what changes would you like that fall within the Mayor's remit? All I can remember about Boris's 8-year stint is (a) he kept Ken and his mates out of office and (b) he introduced a network of clunky bicycles that still bear his name. If Khan goes 4 years without causing any damage it will be enough to secure re-election, though by then he may be needed elsewhere.
    The Boris buses.

Waving the Olympic flag.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

SeanT said:

nunu said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

Increased knife crime is May's fault. She insisted on ending stop and search against police wishes. No love for either of them tho. There is something about him that is very untrustworthy.
    Yeah. Ending stop and search was BOLLOCKS. But I don't see Sadiq clamouring to reintroduce it.
    Ofcourse not, May ended it because of endless harping on from Labour about how it was ethnic profiling by the back door.

You disagree with the decision? If it was being used in a racist way then I think it is good it was stopped.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

If Trump can become US President then Sugar can become London Mayor, even if you dislike them both
  • Options
    nunu said:

DavidL said:

nunu said:

Don't students vote by postal vote aswell? This constituency will have a lot of students at red bricks, many going to London uni's so that won't make any difference but many also across the country.
    Some probably do but most students will be voting at home in June I would have thought. My daughters certainly are.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

nunu said:

Someone else clearly had info on "The Sheffield seats" - reckoned Labour were going to win 4. Implies Clegg is safe (Unless he is vulnerable to the Tories) and Stocksbridge is in trouble.

I take it you refer to Penistone & Stocksbridge? That's seat 70 on the Con target list - a long way down, but with a huge 2015 Ukip vote. Just the sort of place they should be threatening to take if Labour is in for a drubbing.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    Cyclefree said:

jonny83 said:

Oh no. He will forever be Wallace from Wallace and Gromit. For me anyway. The number of times our family has watched those films...... masterpieces each and every one though The Wrong Trousers still edges it for me.
    The train scene is a classic. Happy memories!
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Cyclefree said:

jonny83 said:

Oh they were great as well. The Wrong Trousers the one with the Penguin? Loved it.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

What worries me is this: I am in no doubt that the majority of uk Muslims are wholly opposed to and disgusted by jihadi killings, including imams and "community leaders" (whatever they are) and that the government takes advice from senior figures in UK Muslim society. The most obvious thing in the world would be the condemnation on radio and TV by imams of events like Saturday's, but we hear nothing. The only guess I can make as to why this is, is that the advice has been given to the government that the condemnation would be counterproductive - ie that condemnation of jihad even from imams would be an insult to Allah to be avenged by further jihad. That's how frighteningly out of control this is.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    LOL, who's done that? If I were to guess I'd say it's The Sun.

Given that the cliffs are around 100m/350' high, that's at least a 100' tall, umm, erection.
    Dover is another seat in Kent YouGov are giving a "leaning Labour" flavour to, but not by as much as Canterbury.

This tells me that the polling is just plain wrong. The Labour candidate is in her 20s, miles out of her depth, Elphicke is best price 1/200 to win.

No idea how or why but they are massively overstating Labour's chances.
    Dover is proper UKIP country. They got 10,000 votes there in 2015, up from 1,000 in 2010 while Labour remained stable. Even if Elphicke was in trouble, some of those former UKIP voters will surely be coming to his rescue.
    I have campaigned for Charlie

There is NO WAY he is going to loose this seat.,

And i am happy to take bets from those who think he :)
    Ah but Dover is "leaning Labour".

1 or 2 pollsters could easily go out of business I'm afraid.
    The weird thing is that they just walk away from this nonsense. And then produce more. Which is listened to. The only ones I can recall disappearing were that Canadian bunch who did an election (maybe 2015?) and then gave up.
    I'm genuinely puzzled, to call a seat where the tory is 1/200 "leading Labour" is unfathomable. It convinces me their entire MO is flawed in some way.
    A lot of people seem convinced the methodology is flawed because they find the results unbelievable. That may be. But has anyone come at it from the other direction - examined the methodology and found an obvious flaw?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. Song, Michelle Dewberry[sp] is standing as an independent in a Hull seat.

I agree that Ms. Apocalypse is an excellent poster, although she really ought to cultivate an interest in F1 and the Second Punic War.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Not being funny. Any Doctors around? Just watched May on the BBC news channel. Looking at her face and started wondering.... Considering the amount of stress she's been under recently, plus some one mentioned that she has diabetes....
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Chameleon said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

I have just learnt that a fellow employee was one of those attacked and is now in a coma after surgery.

Puts all the rest in perspective.

This attack came close to more Londoners than most. I'm not sure why. Perhaps because Borough Market is so quintessential to modern, exciting London - and also the Shard. And it's near to lots of newspaper and media offices, so the journalism was immediate?

I was in the Market with my daughter the day the attack happened, in the very same bakery where some people took shelter, and we stood outside the restaurant that got shot up hours later.

My best female friend was there that night, and had to run and hide.

I've got other friends and acquaintances with similar stories

This one really hit home. I hope your colleague recovers.
    I think that it's because almost everyone that visits or lives in London has done Borough Market and/or the Shard. For some reason this attack has made everything feel a lot more 'real' for me than any other in the past decade since 7/7.

Whereas I can't place myself at an Ariana Grande concert, or walking on the streets outside Westminster at midday. Borough Market on a Saturday night? Most of us have done that, and it could have been us.
    I cannot imagine myself at an Ariana Grande concert but I have dropped children off at concerts and gone to some with them. So that felt real too. There was something especially cruel about targeting excited youngsters at that age when they are children but on the brink of turning a little bit adult and beginning to do adult things - trying on make up but still (secretly) keen on teddies - and their parents, wanting them to enjoy themselves but not yet able to let them go by themselves. Such a precious time.

Anywhere, any time, any one of us.

Still, fuck'em. They're scumbags. We've survived and beaten other losers. We'll survive and beat this latest lot too.
    Yes. I am afraid to say it because I dont want to say it... but ... enough is enough. And that barsteward fecker piece of moldy sh!te Corbyn should have been drowned at birth.
    Pardon me for channeling my inner Momentumista.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

nunu said:

I take it you refer to Penistone & Stocksbridge? That's seat 70 on the Con target list - a long way down, but with a huge 2015 Ukip vote. Just the sort of place they should be threatening to take if Labour is in for a drubbing.
    I think the Tories are looking at a majority over 160+ and although this is not being reflected in the polls I think people will be shocked on June 9th.
  • Options
    pbr2013 said:

nunu said:

Do you work at MI5 ?

My opinion is that the cycle will not change. Low- level insurgency. But they will do a school Beslan style one day and then all bets will be off.
    Attacking a place of worship. A lot of damage could be done (the worshippers would be trapped and defenceless) and it fits in with their very warped view of the world. Plus it's been the MO in other places - Pakistan, Egypt and even in France with the murder of the elderly priest.

Frankly, all bets should be off now. There is no earthly reason why we should have to put up with this nonsense now.

• Options
    SchardsSchards Posts: 210

Incidentally, if someone needed a proxy vote at short notice, is it easy/hard to get?

The deadline to apply for a proxy vote was 31st May

Unless you can show you can't vote due to an emergency, which looks like a complicated procedure
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,052
    >
    pbr2013 said:

What?! I thought only PB Tories were eligible, it's the main reason I was switching my vote, dagnabbit!
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Not being funny. Any Doctors around? Just watched May on the BBC news channel. Looking at her face and started wondering.... Considering the amount of stress she's been under recently, plus some one mentioned that she has diabetes....

She does seem to have aged considerably over the course of the campaign.

• Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    DavidL said:

nunu said:

DavidL said:

nunu said:

Some probably do but most students will be voting at home in June I would have thought. My daughters certainly are.
    Many students will stay in their uni towns over the summer if they have employment etc. Certainly wrong to asssume they will all be going home (and voting there)
  • Options
    RobD said:

SeanT said:

nunu said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

You disagree with the decision? If it was being used in a racist way then I think it is good it was stopped.

No, I was laughing at the reason given for the decision by Indigo: it was all Labour's fault.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

OchEye said:

I can't imagine she's had much quality sleep these past few days....
  • Options
    Schards said:

Incidentally, if someone needed a proxy vote at short notice, is it easy/hard to get?

Unless you can show you can't vote due to an emergency, which looks like a complicated procedure
    A colleague of mine got one without much fuss (a polling clerk had come down ill the day before, and they were drafted in to cover, so needed a proxy the day before the election), so I don't think it can be that hard.
  • Options
    pbr2013 said:

nunu said:

Do you work at MI5 ?

Right now I'd be surprised by almost nothing. I doubt many of us would.

The Government is working against a ticking clock here. Each one of these attacks effectively constitutes another drip of the tap of hot acid that threatens to burn and corrode the framework of society.

The strategic aim of Islamist terror in the West is to set up a destructive cycle, in which life is made progressively more difficult for Muslims - and an ever-increasing proportion of them turn against Western society in response. It's brutally simple: the attacks invite a security response - what else is a Government meant to do when its people are being butchered on the streets? - but each security response risks provoking the next attack.

The chance of this approach working is somewhat greater than negligible, I fear. If we can't apply the brakes to the trend then we are all in serious trouble.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902

OchEye said:

She looks very grey and elderly now.
  • Options
    Just walked past Melvyn Bragg
  • Options
    kle4 said:

>

pbr2013 said:

What?! I thought only PB Tories were eligible, it's the main reason I was switching my vote, dagnabbit!

Being nominated is one thing. Winning though....
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005
    edited June 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

What worries me is this: I am in no doubt that the majority of uk Muslims are wholly opposed to and disgusted by jihadi killings, including imams and "community leaders" (whatever they are) and that the government takes advice from senior figures in UK Muslim society. The most obvious thing in the world would be the condemnation on radio and TV by imams of events like Saturday's, but we hear nothing. The only guess I can make as to why this is, is that the advice has been given to the government that the condemnation would be counterproductive - ie that condemnation of jihad even from imams would be an insult to Allah to be avenged by further jihad. That's how frighteningly out of control this is.
    What we hear from people like Khan is "Don't take it out on the muslim community", as if we need telling

Islamic extremism has killed dozens of people this year, and has been a constant threat for the last decade, and have any WWC types gone into Muslim areas and wreaked revenge? No, so we don't need telling thank you. The tolerance of the English has been incredible under extreme provocation

If the whole of Essex moved to Karachi and a few wronguns refused to fit in then started indiscriminately slaughtering people, I would be telling every Pakistani I saw that I was sorry on their behalf and could understand why they might wish we would all fuck off. The last thing I would do would be to insult them by saying "don't blame us". That said, unless I was going to convert to Islam, I wouldn't move there in the first place.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    this should concern anyone who cares about our security

https://youtu.be/aUx4c8V4gDM
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Chris said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

Given that the cliffs are around 100m/350' high, that's at least a 100' tall, umm, erection.
    Dover is another seat in Kent YouGov are giving a "leaning Labour" flavour to, but not by as much as Canterbury.

This tells me that the polling is just plain wrong. The Labour candidate is in her 20s, miles out of her depth, Elphicke is best price 1/200 to win.

Dover is proper UKIP country. They got 10,000 votes there in 2015, up from 1,000 in 2010 while Labour remained stable. Even if Elphicke was in trouble, some of those former UKIP voters will surely be coming to his rescue.

The weird thing is that they just walk away from this nonsense. And then produce more. Which is listened to. The only ones I can recall disappearing were that Canadian bunch who did an election (maybe 2015?) and then gave up.
    I'm genuinely puzzled, to call a seat where the tory is 1/200 "leading Labour" is unfathomable. It convinces me their entire MO is flawed in some way.
    A lot of people seem convinced the methodology is flawed because they find the results unbelievable. That may be. But has anyone come at it from the other direction - examined the methodology and found an obvious flaw?
    I think several people have looked at it and found it wanting, but as you say most people are just dismissing it because it is out of sync with others and 'feels' wrong. I sincerely hope it is, but clearly there are very different ideas out there at measuring the opinion properly, and merely being out there doesn't mean wrong.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,094

Pulpstar said:

nunu said:

I think the Tories are looking at a majority over 160+ and although this is not being reflected in the polls I think people will be shocked on June 9th.
    Based on what?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sugar is far too thin-skinned to be a politician.

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,020
    Ishmael_Z said:

Actually since the target audience is, I assume, going to be 'devout' Muslims I would have thought that the best way to do it exactly as they have been trying to which is through sermons at Friday prayers. If being told in the setting of worship that these crimes are wrong and against your religion is not enough then being told after Casualty on a Saturday night is probably not going to do it either.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Chameleon said:

OchEye said:

To be fair trying to fight an election, undertake her normal duties as PM and deal with two terrorist outrages in quick succession would put a strain on anyone.
  • Options

OchEye said:

Stay classy!
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Pulpstar said:

nunu said:

I think 100 is still possible but 150+ went after the social care fiasco
  • Options
    Schards said:

I got one at very short notice (same week as the election I am pretty sure) when I suddenly had a case that required me to be overnight in Aberdeen. My wife went and got it for me from the Local Authority. They were very easy to persuade.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

What's the silly bint said now?

• Options

I hope she does well - I had a long shot 60/1 on the Tories winning that seat the Labour surge has made an impossible shot, but if an Indy does really well anything could happen.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I agree that Ms. Apocalypse is an excellent poster, although she really ought to cultivate an interest in F1 and the Second Punic War.

On the subject of F1 Mister Dancer, I know it is not your era but the Good Lady Wifi's documentary on the Ferrari drivers of the late 50's is getting a remarkable reaction from the petrolheads that have seen it.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

kjohnw said:

What's the silly bint said now?

She's on lock down, it's nothing new, just rehashing some of her best bits from the campaign.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Do you work at MI5 ?

From memory, the centre of Brum is pretty largely pedestrianised. The kind of attack would have to be different to the one at Borough. But it does seem a very obvious target. Given that, you'd also expect that a hell of a lot of undercover work is being done there at the moment, too.

• Options

DavidL said:

nunu said:

DavidL said:

nunu said:

Many students will stay in their uni towns over the summer if they have employment etc. Certainly wrong to asssume they will all be going home (and voting there)
    I am sure that some do but most are getting kicked out of their accommodation about now. The vast majority of postals are retired folk in my experience.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Sugar is far too thin-skinned to be a politician.

Donald Trump is hardly thick skinned either although he likes to think he is
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Cyclefree said:

pbr2013 said:

nunu said:

Do you work at MI5 ?

Attacking a place of worship. A lot of damage could be done (the worshippers would be trapped and defenceless) and it fits in with their very warped view of the world. Plus it's been the MO in other places - Pakistan, Egypt and even in France with the murder of the elderly priest.

Frankly, all bets should be off now. There is no earthly reason why we should have to put up with this nonsense now.

Happily (at least in this context) we don't do much in the way of worship this side of Christmas).

Richard Nabavi was saying that a London concert on Thursday was puzzlingly undersubscribed. I don't find it puzzling - in present conditions I am keeping clear of big events in high profile cities. I doubt I am the only poltroon in the village. We say it won't affect us, but it does.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

I think it's more likely that they don't give a shit. Try posting an unflattering picture of Mohammed on your Facebook timeline then they'll give a shit.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    kle4 said:

Chris said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

I think several people have looked at it and found it wanting, but as you say most people are just dismissing it because it is out of sync with others and 'feels' wrong. I sincerely hope it is, but clearly there are very different ideas out there at measuring the opinion properly, and merely being out there doesn't mean wrong.
    I like it, it could be massively accurate to a degree that no-one else can be, however it fails the SISO test for me, the members of yougov are nowhere near representative enough..
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

OchEye said:

TM's appearance in Scotland today showed her to be very relaxed. But running a campaign and overseeing the terror fight back is bound to be stressful. She can take it. The thing about Type 1 is to have iron discipline.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    HYUFD said:

Melvyn Bragg on Luvvies.com :

Just walked past HYUFD
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Laura Kuenssberg‏Verified account @bbclaurak 5h5 hours ago

after lots of Qs to May on police cuts, Lord Carlile, often govt critic, says terror cops have enough resources + debate on cuts wrong one
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. Schards/Mr. kle4, cheers.

Mr. Mark, is it on TV tonight?
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    edited June 2017

nunu said:

Do you work at MI5 ?

From memory, the centre of Brum is pretty largely pedestrianised. The kind of attack would have to be different to the one at Borough. But it does seem a very obvious target. Given that, you'd also expect that a hell of a lot of undercover work is being done there at the moment, too.

Pedestrianised but unfortunately not fully physically segregated. Broadstreet is a different kettle of fish.
  • Options
    JackW said:

HYUFD said:

Melvyn Bragg on Luvvies.com :

Just walked past HYUFD
    Not on PeersOfTheRealm.com? :smiley:
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,352
    HYUFD said:

Are you in Hampstead?
  • Options
    isam said:

Ishmael_Z said:

What worries me is tut of control this is.
    What we hear from people like Khan is "Don't take it out on the muslim community", as if we need telling

Islamic extremism has killed dozens of people this year, and has been a constant threat for the last decade, and have any WWC types gone into Muslim areas and wreaked revenge? No, so we don't need telling thank you. The tolerance of the English has been incredible under extreme provocation
    I have to agree to some extent. I know idiots do need telling and - while I think we are in danger of under reacting - overreacting is an issue that should be addressed, there seems too much emphasis on assuming we will all act like savage beasts and best to do very little, that we are a mob that is about to break out at any moment. As I say it is something worth saying, to some extent, but it seems to be among the first things that springs to mind, as though that is the most critical issue, and I don't think it is.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    pbr2013 said:

But they will do a school Beslan style one day and then all bets will be off.

Yes they will do a Beslan. Or a Dubrovka theatre, or a Budyonnovsk hospital. The scale of threat with these bastards is far greater than it ever was with the IRA. The low level of security at crowded events in this country is totally unacceptable, while millions are spent keeping British service personnel in places like Afghanistan. If it comes to a Beslan, things will not be the same after that, as you say.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited June 2017
    MorrisDancer - thanks. I'll try and catch F1 next time it's on!
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Cyclefree said:

pbr2013 said:

nunu said:

Do you work at MI5 ?

Happily (at least in this context) we don't do much in the way of worship this side of Christmas).

Richard Nabavi was saying that a London concert on Thursday was puzzlingly undersubscribed. I don't find it puzzling - in present conditions I am keeping clear of big events in high profile cities. I doubt I am the only poltroon in the village. We say it won't affect us, but it does.
    The luvvy lefty pop stars and trendy comedian surrender monkeys will be livid at their loss of tax avoiding income.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    perdix said:

OchEye said:

TM's appearance in Scotland today showed her to be very relaxed. But running a campaign and overseeing the terror fight back is bound to be stressful. She can take it. The thing about Type 1 is to have iron discipline.

She had the Tory Rockstar Ruth with her today, that would have helped :)
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

pbr2013 said:

nunu said:

Do you work at MI5 ?

But at least one of my successful 20 something Corbynista relatives was, like, really upset yesterday, by May's speech because it did not do enough to combat Islamophobia. She is smart. Bright. But she makes me despair.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

nunu said:

I think 100 is still possible but 150+ went after the social care fiasco
    I'm still sticking stubbornly to the 120-ish I predicted five weeks ago. I always thought the more calamitous rout projections looked too good to be true, but on the other hand the polls showing a tight race look implausible, and there's every reason to believe that the Conservative vote will be quite efficiently distributed, Labour's the reverse. There's also the small matter of the extent to which campaigns - even those that are judged to be awful - actually shift peoples' settled intentions in the run-up to an election. Did Neil Kinnock *really* lose in 1992 because of the Sheffield Rally?
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    Rhubarb said:

nunu said:

Do you work at MI5 ?

Pedestrianised but unfortunately not physically segregated.
    fwiw, you could get a car down onto the tram tracks at Bull Street and onto New Street

if you wanted to, that is.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Today Corbyn is visiting 4 Labour seats in North East. The average Lab majority in the seats is 9,084, or 22.9%. Why is Labour so defensive? (Michael Cricks tweet)

Am i reading too much into this? Why would he be in these seats with 3 days to go?

I think we all know why, and the bed wetters on here should connect the dots....
    I think it just means parties don't think hard enough about which seats to target, and if they do well they construct a narrative afterwards about how brilliant a plan it was.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

I'm sorry this is just not true. Imams condemn these attacks all the time. The media never give or hardly ever give it airtime. The bbc etc need to step up.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    marke09 said:

after lots of Qs to May on police cuts, Lord Carlile, often govt critic, says terror cops have enough resources + debate on cuts wrong one

Said it again on R5 within the last hour - said whether police cuts or not was a genuine debating point for the election but in terms of counter terrorism it wasn't relevant....those were resourced sufficiently.

If a Tory minister I'd be tracking those quotes down to use asap!
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852

SeanT said:

nunu said:

SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

I am no fan of May, she's crap (or more explicitly she is far to control freaky and attracted to ineffectual authoritarian baubles), just a whole lot less crap than Corbyn. As you have said many times I will take crap over dangerous every day of the week. None of the UK parties are that attractive to me, so I settle for competent (often only in the relative sense of the word!)
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359

Rhubarb said:

nunu said:

Do you work at MI5 ?

Pedestrianised but unfortunately not physically segregated.
    fwiw, you could get a car down onto the tram tracks at Bull Street and onto New Street

if you wanted to, that is.
    When it comes to this kind of thing there's a whole bunch of not great with Birmingham city centre.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

nunu said:

Based on what?
    Just what I think. Then again in 2015 I thought the Tories would win a majority and the Lib Dems would be crushed but I did not post on this site back then. Back in 2010 I knew the Tories would not win a majority before the election even started properly.

I could be wrong but I don't believe in all this national campaign stuff in moving many votes. This is why new PMs who take over part way through a parliament don't tend to take snap elections. Election winning takes months to organise as so many variables need to be controlled to optimise success. The last successful instant election was 1955 and things were very different back then with little polling.

The thing about elections is it is all about the ground game, you can only target so many seats effectively with the time and resources allowed by the law. Labour are targeting their resources at safe Labour seats and spending 90% of their time in those seats. The fundamentals have not really changed in that Corbyn is distrusted by a large section of society/ Brexit is happening / voters perception that prosperity might diminish Corbyn/ Corbyn means even more immigration/ Corbyn is weak on terrorism and national defence issues.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

MorrisDancer - thanks. I'll try and catch F1 next time it's on!

Don't do it. You'll think you can handle it at first, but before you know it you'll be comparing Jeremy Corbyn and Diane Abbot to Gaius Terrentius Varro and Lucius Aemilius Paullus.

It's a slippery slope...
  • Options

For the first time in a while the Tory lead among pollsters has actually stabilised - YouGov (even them) showing it as stil being 4 points and ICM as still being 11 points. Labour need a 13 point lead to actually get a majority. Yet you still have PBers in a panic. LOL.

It's the SCON mentality - after hoping for something for so long (a decent number of MPs in that case), people can scarcely believe it might actually finally happen.

For me it's just that I have a biscuit spine.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

OchEye said:

What a sad bunch of twaterati you 3 are.
  • Options

Mr. Schards/Mr. kle4, cheers.

Mr. Mark, is it on TV tonight?

No, still being completed. Won't be out until late summer. It has a lot of never-before-seen footage. Brutal at times. Some astonishing shots of cars going at full race speed past burning cars.... A different era.
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658

PB Tories might be smelling of urine at the moment, but what the PB Lefties smell of is fear, the level of fake news, selective quoting and partisan ramping has gone through the roof in the last couple of days. Strange we never seem to see any rightwing astoturfers!

jonny83 said:

Cyclefree said:

jonny83 said:

Oh they were great as well. The Wrong Trousers the one with the Penguin? Loved it.
    Hate that penguin. His Wanted poster is on the kitchen wall, with a dart in it. Hate that penguin. He's evil, I tell you. Bet he votes Corbyn.

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited June 2017
    pbr2013 said:

But at least one of my successful 20 something Corbynista relatives was, like, really upset yesterday, by May's speech because it did not do enough to combat Islamophobia. She is smart. Bright. But she makes me despair.

It's an attempt to control her world view. She doesn't like the attacks (presumably), but doesn't want to believe that Islamic Extremists could just be inherently bad - either that's too scary or she rejects it as it appears 'racist'. Therefore the only alternative is that we must be causing the problem - hence the need to target Islamophobia.

It's nonsense. But it's subconscious self-rationalised nonsense.

• Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited June 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

"Keep calm and carry on as before" is about the stupidest attitude that it is possible to take.

If the authorities in this country and the castes from which they are drawn didn't treat most of the population as "natives" or "Morlocks", they would realise that.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Today Corbyn is visiting 4 Labour seats in North East. The average Lab majority in the seats is 9,084, or 22.9%. Why is Labour so defensive? (Michael Cricks tweet)

Am i reading too much into this? Why would he be in these seats with 3 days to go?

I think we all know why, and the bed wetters on here should connect the dots....
    I think it just means parties don't think hard enough about which seats to target, and if they do well they construct a narrative afterwards about how brilliant a plan it was.
    This is wholly consistent with Labour strategy earlier in the campaign, before the "Corbyn Surge." If the party's own private polling and canvassing returns are still suggesting that it is some distance from victory, then why would the pattern not change?

Earlier in the campaign, Corbyn was mostly visiting Tory-held marginals or very safe Labour seats - the subtext being that visits to Tory seats maintained the pretence that he was going all out to win; visits to very safe Labour seats were in the cause of shoring up both his overall vote share and support amongst the membership, in order to see of any post-election leadership challenge; and he was being kept away from the Labour-held marginals because the incumbent MPs there were terrified of his toxicity amongst a very large fraction of the electorate.

How much has actually changed since then, just because the polls say so?
  • Options
    Cyan said:

Ishmael_Z said:

"Keep calm and carry on as before" is about the stupidest attitude that is possible to take.
    Not as stupid as any attitude you might carry, ever.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926

marke09 said:

Said it again on R5 within the last hour - said whether police cuts or not was a genuine debating point for the election but in terms of counter terrorism it wasn't relevant....those were resourced sufficiently.

If a Tory minister I'd be tracking those quotes down to use asap!
    He used to be a Lib Dem MP
This discussion has been closed.