Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters stick with the ICM/ComRes view of the election – not Y

Comments

• Options
    Scott_P said:

I find YouGov's model very interesting. They've made a serious attempt to try to model how a change election might work. There will be some very surprising results on Thursday.

If YouGov correctly predict a number of "surprising" results, while still getting the overall total wildly wrong, is that a win for them or not?
    No. A good model ought to be good at predicting surprises AND non-surprises. If you're predicting black swans simply by claiming every other swan will be black, that's not impressive at all. The quality of any model is really about hits AND correct rejections.

You can make a good career as a media talking head by making lots of rather unlikely predictions on the basis that a small handful will be correct and you can shout, "there, see, I told you I was right" (while keeping quiet about all the predictions you made that didn't turn out). But it doesn't make you a sage, it makes you a charlatan.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

jonny83 said:

YouGov is all based on the assumption we will see that the youth will turnout like never before (or for a long long time). Something that very much has to be seen to be believed.

If the Youth of this country were holding mass Obama style rallies across the country backing Labour and Corbyn then I would have to buy into it.

But we aren't so I just can't see it, we would be seeing a lot more signs of it if it was on the cards, more than just polling found by these companies.

Jez we are :) See e.g.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/hundreds-of-people-turn-out-to-see-jeremy-corbyn-in-beeston/story-30369802-detail/story.html

(I'm on the picture in the second row, just behind him - fame at last etc.)
    a crowd of 100 people / surprised the police managed to control it
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Cyan said:

calum said:
    @Calum - if Labour form the next government, whether with or without a majority, they will try to keep Britain in the single market and the customs union. Will Nicola Sturgeon then withdraw the request for a referendum, or at least put it on hold?
    I'd expect that as the EU have already indicated that a Corbyn government would be given extra time to negotiate Brexit, that Nicola would kick IndyRef2 into the longer grass but wouldn't take it off the table completely pending how Corbyn fares in the negotiations.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Floater said:

Floater said:
    So what What has May done over the last 7 years, she has been in charge

May let known terrorists pop back and forth to known ISIS area of Libya and then kill all those innocents in Manchester.

Mays record on cuts to vital services has made us all less safe too.

Which anti terror legislation did Jezbollah vote for?

Have you seen Mays record?
    I saw she proposed a change and Jezbollah and his team voted against en mass

Now, which anti terror legislation did our ira loving Labour leadership team vote for
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

jonny83 said:

YouGov is all based on the assumption we will see that the youth will turnout like never before (or for a long long time). Something that very much has to be seen to be believed.

If the Youth of this country were holding mass Obama style rallies across the country backing Labour and Corbyn then I would have to buy into it.

But we aren't so I just can't see it, we would be seeing a lot more signs of it if it was on the cards, more than just polling found by these companies.

Jez we are :) See e.g.

http://www.nottinghampost.com/hundreds-of-people-turn-out-to-see-jeremy-corbyn-in-beeston/story-30369802-detail/story.html

(I'm on the picture in the second row, just behind him - fame at last etc.)
    Are you follically challenged as well Nick?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Looks like much of the country is going to be very very wet on Thursday, not sure that will lead to a great turn out amongst those who are typically less inclined to vote historically.

This gets raised at every election. There is no evidence that poor weather has an impact on turnout.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    edited June 2017
    TOPPING said:

jonny83 said:

TOPPING said:

Film review in today's Guardian (of '71, set during The Troubles):

"..this is a ferocious action movie suffused with nailbiting tension, as Hook tries to stay ahead of provisionals and equally deadly undercover agents."

ie for Graun readers and I daresay plenty of others, The Troubles, PIRA, Warrington, etc are now in the realms of history where, as with much historical analysis, equivalence can be drawn between each opposing side.

In this context, I wonder, especially of course for the young, how much of an effect all this banging on about Jezza and the IRA will have.

PS. great film, '71.

I've not seen it but it looks like it's on tonight on Film 4,? So it's worth a record and then watch?
    Yep def. Good gritty drama, only incidentally about NI. Jack O'Connell particularly good, but then I'm a fan.
    Cool I will check it out, just read a little about it (not spoilers) and some of it was filmed in Blackburn, Lancashire my home town! Don't think I have seen many of his films so far, but I remember him from This is England and Skins.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,034
    Jonathan said:

For sheer comedy value on this site, even if May get's her landslide Canterbury now needs to turn red. It would be a hoot.

The 24 carat comedy gold result would be a Conservative majority of 1.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

"Got to feel sorry for pollsters. If their numbers are close together they’re accused of herding – if not they’re said to be “all over the place"

LOL....There is not herding and then there is 1-12% spread...Wonder what dates the polling disaster inquiry The Sequel is set for...

Who actually believes that 1% poll? :p
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    "London terror attack: cyclists claim security barriers on London bridges are 'unsafe,' hours after they are installed"

Are Boris's oligarch friend Evgeny and his Bullingdon pal George losing it at the Standard? That headline only harms Theresa May's image.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Scott_P said:

I find YouGov's model very interesting. They've made a serious attempt to try to model how a change election might work. There will be some very surprising results on Thursday.

If YouGov correctly predict a number of "surprising" results, while still getting the overall total wildly wrong, is that a win for them or not?
    No. A good model ought to be good at predicting surprises AND non-surprises. If you're predicting black swans simply by claiming every other swan will be black, that's not impressive at all. The quality of any model is really about hits AND correct rejections.

You can make a good career as a media talking head by making lots of rather unlikely predictions on the basis that a small handful will be correct and you can shout, "there, see, I told you I was right" (while keeping quiet about all the predictions you made that didn't turn out). But it doesn't make you a sage, it makes you a charlatan.
    That's how magic and primitive religion work. You remind people of all the times sacrificing a virgin made the crops grow and hope they forget about all the times it didn't. If they remember you simply insist she can't have been a virgin after all.

I might be taking the analogy a bit far!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Pulpstar said:

Somebody is telling stories i.e. Canterbury.

Back in the real world Corbyn is in County Durham! They didn't specify on sky which one of the seats he is visiting but they seem to range from approximately 4,000 majority to about 15,000.

So is this evidence of a strategic genius who is going to win the GE or alternatively and more likely Labour are in panic mode scuttling around trying to save what they have got?

I suspect it's probably just that JC performs best in front of thousands of cheering fans, and they reckon it's a fair chance they'll gain more from doing that on the 6pm news than rounding up a few stray libdems in a marginal. (But they also need to be doing the latter if they want a YouGov rather than an ICM result!)
    He had a meeting in Beeston a couple of days ago which attracted the largest audience in the last 20 years - and that's in Broxtowe, which needs a 4% swing. Not sure you can read much into the pattern TBH.
    Is Labour 'hopeful' in Broxtowe, 'quietly confident' even :) ?

Soubry won't appeal to kippers so that vote might just stick UKIP !
    I think Soubry would be a great loss to the Commons and her party. I'd vote for her

Soubry looks like she did a big squeeze job on the Lib Dem vote in the 2015 GE there.

You can also see why Nick might have thought he'd win there when he got 98.4% of his previous vote from 2010.

I think Soubry wins because the tactical Lib Dems stick with her.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

"London terror attack: cyclists claim security barriers on London bridges are 'unsafe,' hours after they are installed"

Are Boris's oligarch friend Evgeny and his Bullingdon pal George losing it at the Standard? That headline only harms Theresa May's image.

Typical self-centered cyclists. :p
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815

Looks like much of the country is going to be very very wet on Thursday, not sure that will lead to a great turn out amongst those who are typically less inclined to vote historically.

This gets raised at every election. There is no evidence that poor weather has an impact on turnout.
    I imagine voting will be "brisk". A "voting is brisk" report fills in a good three minutes on 24 hour news on what has to be the quietest news day of the year.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900
    Terrorism Act 2000
    May: Absent from the final vote (there was no Second Reading)
    Anti-terrorism, Crime and Security Act 2001
    May absent at Third Reading
    Fourteen-day detention in the Criminal Justice Act 2003
    May: Voted against it
    Control Orders
    The creation of control orders was contained within the 2005 Prevention of Terrorism Act.
    introduction of ID cards 2006.
    May voted against it
    The coalition government, with Mrs May as home secretary, would go on to scrap the scheme in 2010.
    Ninety-day detention Drafted in the aftermath of the London 7/7 bombings
    May voted against it
    Counter-terrorism Act 2008
    This legislation gave powers to the police to question terrorist suspects after they had been charged. It also tried to extend detention without charge to 42 days
    May: Absent from the vote
    Legislation for closed press free courts.
    May: absent at Third Reading

• Options
    @bigjohnowls Momentum were supposed to be GOTV in Killamarsh Sunday. But no sign of them !
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Dura_Ace said:

Jonathan said:

For sheer comedy value on this site, even if May get's her landslide Canterbury now needs to turn red. It would be a hoot.

Ken Clarke?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Dura_Ace said:

Jonathan said:

My two comedy results are (1) the Conservatives getting 330 seats and (2) the Conservatives getting 306 seats, Labour getting 258 seats.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    RobD said:

"Got to feel sorry for pollsters. If their numbers are close together they’re accused of herding – if not they’re said to be “all over the place"

LOL....There is not herding and then there is 1-12% spread...Wonder what dates the polling disaster inquiry The Sequel is set for...

If there is a 1-12% spread then some pollsters will, surely, have got it right. The GE2015 polling inquiry happened because ALL pollsters got it wrong.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited June 2017
    Just been invited to a business related Jezza victory party....awkward....do I attend?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,355

Terrorism Act 2000
    Control Orders
    The creation of control orders was contained within the 2005 Prevention of Terrorism Act.
    May voted against it
    The coalition government, with Mrs May as home secretary, would go on to scrap the scheme in 2010.
    May voted against it
    This legislation gave powers to the police to question terrorist suspects after they had been charged. It also tried to extend detention without charge to 42 days

How did she vote on Iraq? That's the acid test.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    I'd forgotten to tell you all my amusing GE17 dream last night. I was reading a newspaper report which said 'shock poll shows GREEN surge to 35% putting them ahead in the Midlands'
    I'd say DYOR but I don't think this one needs it ;)
  • Options

RobD said:

If there is a 1-12% spread then some pollsters will, surely, have got it right. The GE2015 polling inquiry happened because ALL pollsters got it wrong.
    So this time half the room can tell the other half why they were totally wrong.
  • Options
    PatrickPatrick Posts: 225
    Dura_Ace said:

Jonathan said:

I think the wet-your-knickers-you-laughed-so-hard result would be LibDem MPs = zero.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,474
    RobD said:

The 1% poll is the most extreme because Survation not only uses the Youth Tsunami model, like YouGov, but also deletes everyone who won't say or is undecided from their sample without doing any demographic rebalancing. Hence, because very few younger voters are undecided or won't say, they have a weighting towards the young greater even than YG. Realistically the Survation result is impossible even if the young turnnout en masse.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    jonny83 said:

TOPPING said:

jonny83 said:

TOPPING said:

Film review in today's Guardian (of '71, set during The Troubles):

"..this is a ferocious action movie suffused with nailbiting tension, as Hook tries to stay ahead of provisionals and equally deadly undercover agents."

ie for Graun readers and I daresay plenty of others, The Troubles, PIRA, Warrington, etc are now in the realms of history where, as with much historical analysis, equivalence can be drawn between each opposing side.

In this context, I wonder, especially of course for the young, how much of an effect all this banging on about Jezza and the IRA will have.

PS. great film, '71.

I've not seen it but it looks like it's on tonight on Film 4,? So it's worth a record and then watch?
    Yep def. Good gritty drama, only incidentally about NI. Jack O'Connell particularly good, but then I'm a fan.
    Cool I will check it out, just read a little about it (not spoilers) and some of it was filmed in Blackburn, Lancashire my home town! Don't think I have seen many of his films so far, but I remember him from This is England and Skins.
    Starred Up also worth finding.
  • Options
    PaulM said:
    Hopkins is just trying to boost her profile and get work again having been sacked by LBC.

There's lots of perfectly legitimate ways to reach the conclusion the postal vote looks bad (or good) for your party.

You know who has applied for postal votes and, if you've canvassed them, their voting intention. You can guess their voting intention even if you don't know it, based on ward and property type. You know more if you knock on their door and ask whether they've used it and if so for whom. You know in broad terms the return rate. You know how it all compares to last time. These are all ways that you can form a sensible, fairly robust view without seeing a single X on a ballot.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Polruan said:

EDW20000 said:
    Not sure the Tories necessarily want to move the conversation to possible electoral law offences.
    Played 12, won 11 and one rained off (sub judice), I'd say they were very up for it. Not even the DPP would bottle out of this one given the voluntary confession inWestcombe's later tweet
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208

RobD said:

I wouldn't be hugely surprised if the Tories win by 15 pp.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited June 2017
    Well it's all happening today on the Gulf money for terror front. The Saudis are trying to blame their Shard-owning Salafist brothers the Qataris! C'mon Boris, make a statement!

*wonders whether Trinity College, Cambridge, have their eye on the Shard as they did on the Dome*

Oh are some Tories still going on about the IRA in the 1980s and using the 1930s word "appeasement"?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Patrick said:

Dura_Ace said:

Jonathan said:

I think the wet-your-knickers-you-laughed-so-hard result would be LibDem MPs = zero.
    I'd lose some bets if that happened, the £20 to @MalcolmG for Carmichael would be particularly painful.
  • Options

Terrorism Act 2000
    Control Orders
    May voted against it
    May voted against it

Missing a bit aren't you?

bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40111329
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    edited June 2017

Yes, but in this election we're concentrating on people who may not usually vote anyway. If YG's model is relying on that section, then yes, poor weather may well have an effect. People who usually vote won't be bothered, as you say.
  • Options

RobD said:

Hope you have booked your seat at the polling inquiry!
  • Options

Just been invited to a business related Jezza victory party....awkward....

What happens when he loses?
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    RobD said:

I believe that a polling firm followed their established procedures for estimating public opinion and were confronted with the result of a 1% lead for the Conservatives over Labour. I believe that really happened.
  • Options

Terrorism Act 2000
    Control Orders
    May voted against it
    May voted against it

I'd suggest this is not fertile ground for Corbyn.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

Back in the real world Corbyn is in County Durham! They didn't specify on sky which one of the seats he is visiting but they seem to range from approximately 4,000 majority to about 15,000.

So is this evidence of a strategic genius who is going to win the GE or alternatively and more likely Labour are in panic mode scuttling around trying to save what they have got?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Parliamentary_constituencies_in_County_Durham
    if any of those are IN PLAY ... then the 1 % is a crock,right?
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Terrorism Act 2000
    Control Orders
    May voted against it
    May voted against it

How many of those measures would you have voted for?
  • Options

RobD said:

So this time half the room can tell the other half why they were totally wrong.
    IF turnout starts to vary significantly from one election to the next, in ways that both cross-correlate with voting intention and are difficult to predict, then accurate polling becomes impossible.

The post-2017 inquiry could be as simple as "the young turned out / the young didn't turn out". Case closed.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I don;t think anybody has found any sort of rational pattern in where Jezza visits in relation to target seats.

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Terrorism Act 2000
    Control Orders
    May voted against it
    May voted against it

Big John spinning? consider me (not) shocked
  • Options

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Parliamentary_constituencies_in_County_Durham
    Auckland and Darlington might be.
    Sedgefield could be
    The others are safe no matter how bad Jez is.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    camel said:

Pulpstar said:

Yougov have Broxtowe as a Labour gain.

Are Yougov doing Labour's internal polls? Serious question.
    YouGov had it as a toss-up when I looked this morning. I'll refrain from commenting.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    It's good that YouGov are trying something different as regards seat modelling. I look forward to their next update.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,723
    camel said:

I imagine voting will be "brisk". A "voting is brisk" report fills in a good three minutes on 24 hour news on what has to be the quietest news day of the year.
    I reckon that voting will be 'steady', just like the rainfall.

Hopefully the guys with vans and knives won't stop it being a quiet news day.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

Tories are leading by 8% nationally. In play in NE: Bp Auckland, Darlington, Middlesbrough S.
  • Options
    Floater said:

TOPPING said:

Terrorism Act 2000
    Control Orders
    May voted against it
    May voted against it

he can't go on like this.
  • Options

Where were Cameron and Miliband in the final days?
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    why

camel said:

Pulpstar said:

Yougov have Broxtowe as a Labour gain.

Are Yougov doing Labour's internal polls? Serious question.
    YouGov had it as a toss-up when I looked this morning. I'll refrain from commenting.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Reports in the US press that Trump pulled out of Paris accord because of Macron's handshake.

What a tiny, tiny, tiny manchild
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @Bigjohnowls What happened to Momentum Killamarsh visit on Sunday :o I was hoping to be canvassed ;(
  • Options

Floater said:

TOPPING said:

Terrorism Act 2000
    Control Orders
    May voted against it
    May voted against it

he can't go on like this.
    Hopefully he'll revert back to normal after the election.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

calum said:
    @Calum - if Labour form the next government, whether with or without a majority, they will try to keep Britain in the single market and the customs union. Will Nicola Sturgeon then withdraw the request for a referendum, or at least put it on hold?
    Jeremy Corbyn - saviour of the Union?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Reports in the US press that Trump pulled out of Paris accord because of Macron's handshake.

Wasn't it one of his campaign promises?
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911

Terrorism Act 2000
    Control Orders
    May voted against it
    May voted against it

I am very glad to se she voted against the insidious ID cards scheme, and the absurd 42 day detention proposals.

Would be fascinated to see how you think it might have stopped the latest attack.
  • Options
    RobD said:

He has broken lots of them
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    calum said:
    Time to withdraw that State Visit invite. Go on, Theresa: you know you want to.
  • Options
    That just splices together 7 or 8 questions to May, and doesn't show her answer to any of them. What is the point of that?
  • Options
    If he keeps it up though, Trump may well have reason to be alarmed during a State visit
  • Options
    Floater said:

TOPPING said:

Terrorism Act 2000
    Control Orders
    May voted against it
    May voted against it

Just making a point if you are in the same lobby more often than not it undermines your point somewhat.

However when your actual record in Government is one of abject failure on Police cuts and you accuse those warning you of crying wolf etc etc etc

Doesnt need spinning it hits you between the eyes unless you are a PB Tory
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It's good that YouGov are trying something different as regards seat modelling. I look forward to their next update.

Agree.

Tomorrow's update may not mean so much due to technical problems with their survey over the weekend. Wednesday's (final?) update will be the key one, which might also pick up any post-London Bridge late swing.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Where were Cameron and Miliband in the final days?
    Cameron was outside Paddy's house.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

That just splices together 7 or 8 questions to May, and doesn't show her answer to any of them. What is the point of that?
    LOL.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

RobD said:

He has broken lots of them
    Yeah, but to say his reason to pull out was due to a handshake seems dubious given it was one of his more prominent goals.
  • Options
    There is a lot that could be done with YouGov's type of model. It seems fairly clear that some groups of voters have shifted quite dramatically from 2015. It also seems fairly clear that these groups are not evenly distributed across constituencies. By modelling how these groups of voters have changed voting intention, the ultimate seat tally should be more accurate than uniform national swing.

The polling companies have the necessary data to do this.

What I'm unclear about is how the confidence intervals work. For improved Conservative (or Labour) performance, how is the model tweaked from their best guess? Is it simply by reinserting uniform national swing by the back door or do YouGov model the different groups on different voting preferences?
  • Options

Floater said:

TOPPING said:

Terrorism Act 2000
    Control Orders
    May voted against it
    May voted against it

Just making a point if you are in the same lobby more often than not it undermines your point somewhat.

However when your actual record in Government is one of abject failure on Police cuts and you accuse those warning you of crying wolf etc etc etc

You didn't answer my earlier question about who you thought was responsible for the terrorist attacks, John?
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    Ishmael_Z said:

Because Twitter is the truth. Or something. One wonders who the original poster is trying to convince.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,978
    Err..not sure we should be cosying up to trump anymore. How on earth is a country like the USA headed up by such a narcissist
  • Options
    RobD said:

Terrorism Act 2000
    Control Orders
    May voted against it
    May voted against it

May thinks it is for her as it diverts the public away from her abysmal record of failure at the Home Office
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Lib Dems now apologised to Plaid over the advert that Mark Williams called nonsense and they will work with every party who supports anti Brexit
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,208
    Scott_P said:

We need @rcs1000 to give a view on Macron's handshake. :)
  • Options
    Dadge said:

Tories are leading by 8% nationally. In play in NE: Bp Auckland, Darlington, Middlesbrough S.
    Erm, Middlesbrough South is in Yorkshire, not County Durham!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Technical point for anoraks: the 37.8% the Tories polled in GB at GE2015 is arrived at by including John Bercow's votes in the Conservative total. If it isn't included they polled 37.7%. (To two decimal points, 37.78% and 37.66% respectively. Interesting how one seat can make that sort of difference).
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852

Terrorism Act 2000
    Control Orders
    May voted against it
    May voted against it

How many of those measures would you have voted for?
    How many of those did the security services say they didn't need.
  • Options

RobD said:

Terrorism Act 2000
    Control Orders
    May voted against it
    May voted against it

May thinks it is for her as it diverts the public away from her abysmal record of failure at the Home Office
    Yes, fertile ground for the Tories as Corbyn doesn't have the perception of being strong on security issues.
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Pulpstar said:

@bigjohnowls Momentum were supposed to be GOTV in Killamarsh Sunday. But no sign of them !

Dura_Ace said:

Jonathan said:

Majorities have to be even numbers technically since there are an even number of MPs.

Unless there's an odd number of Sinn Fein MPs who "don't count", or you don't count the speaker?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,402
    Alistair said:

What if we live in the universe where the YouGov model is 100% accurate?

We find a different one. Sharpish.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    At the risk of going all Love Actually, after the intel leaks, paris withdrawal and Trumps latest comments/tweets, I wonder what TMay removing / deferring her invite to the Pres would do in the short term.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

... and Sedgefield presumably?
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Lib Dems now apologised to Plaid over the advert that Mark Williams called nonsense and they will work with every party who supports anti Brexit

How is the weather in Ceredigion today. Looks like a lovely constituency !
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Dura_Ace said:

Jonathan said:

Majorities have to be even numbers technically since there are an even number of MPs.

Unless there's an odd number of Sinn Fein MPs who "don't count", or you don't count the speaker?
    There are four speakers (Bercow, and three deputies), so their numbers cancel.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Yes. It was never going to get through the Senate anyway.
  • Options

Dadge said:

Deeper target.
  • Options
    matt said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Because Twitter is the truth. Or something. One wonders who the original poster is trying to convince.
    I don't think BJO can have watched it, or he wouldn't have posted. Just when we thought a cure had been found for Plato's Syndrome.
  • Options
    RestharrowRestharrow Posts: 233

There is a lot that could be done with YouGov's type of model. It seems fairly clear that some groups of voters have shifted quite dramatically from 2015. It also seems fairly clear that these groups are not evenly distributed across constituencies. By modelling how these groups of voters have changed voting intention, the ultimate seat tally should be more accurate than uniform national swing.

What I'm unclear about is how the confidence intervals work. For improved Conservative (or Labour) performance, how is the model tweaked from their best guess? Is it simply by reinserting uniform national swing by the back door or do YouGov model the different groups on different voting preferences?

Have some groups of voters shifted dramatically? Or is a younger cohort of tech-savvy Labour supporters learning how to game the polls? It would be richly ironic (and well-deserved) if their success in conjuring a Labour surge out of thin air merely stiffens the sinews of those determined to resist it.
  • Options

They claim to be monitoring changes of voting behaviour both by geography (a tiny sample at seat level but a perfectly respectable one if ten or so seats are taken together) and demography (blending their extensive data on their panellists with local census data). So I'd be surprised if national swing is an input; the output of their 50,000 panel, weighted for demography and turnout, is presumably the 42/38 national VI. Once set up I expect the model is dynamic - when a panellist changes their intended vote, it feeds through both locally and via their demographic. Certainly they got today's update out early this morning which doesn't suggest it needs a lot of re-work before you get the output.

The confidence levels at seat level must be huge (as the lines on the website seat boxes indicate!)

Local political history is the one thing they will not be able to model without a larger sample living in each seat.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038

Dadge said:

Erm, Middlesbrough South is in Yorkshire, not County Durham!
    Try and stick to being pedantic when it actually matters.
  • Options

Have some groups of voters shifted dramatically? Or is a younger cohort of tech-savvy Labour supporters learning how to game the polls? It would be richly ironic (and well-deserved) if their success in conjuring a Labour surge out of thin air merely stiffens the sinews of those determined to resist it.
    It's not as if they have to actively try to game it. These panels will self-select the politically engaged.
  • Options

You're thinking too much about one side of the fence. UKIP's vote has apparently largely decamped.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    Pulpstar said:

Dadge said:

Deeper target.
    Hartlepool? I have 9/4 against a labour hold. Jez should head to Hartlepool to help me clean up.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Ishmael_Z said:

Polruan said:

Not sure the Tories necessarily want to move the conversation to possible electoral law offences.

Played 12, won 11 and one rained off (sub judice), I'd say they were very up for it. Not even the DPP would bottle out of this one given the voluntary confession inWestcombe's later tweet
    Would it not be more exact to say: Played 12, lost 11 but got through on a technicality; Then one postponed for clearer weather?
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Floater said:

TOPPING said:

Terrorism Act 2000
    Control Orders
    May voted against it
    May voted against it

Posting cut together bits of video and trying to pass it off as what most people would have seen on the TV is a bit desperate, and further dents what we could, with a certain charity, call your credibility.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yes, fertile ground for the Tories as Corbyn doesn't have the perception of being strong on security issues.

@TheRedRag: Corbyn didn't call upon Margaret Thatcher to resign after the Brighton Bomb - he called upon the IRA to come to Westminster. #SoftOnTerror
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

calum said:
    Time to withdraw that State Visit invite. Go on, Theresa: you know you want to.
    Why is Trump having a go at the London Mayor ?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Yes. It was never going to get through the Senate anyway.
    It never needed to. That's why it was termed an 'Executive Agreement' rather than a Treaty. In reality, it didn't make a great deal of practical difference in as far as the countries could have taken the actions they pledged to unilaterally anyway, though the agreement was and is symbolically important.
This discussion has been closed.