Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE2017 heralds the return of two party politics

Comments

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited June 2017

So will Corbyn resign if the number of Labour MPs goes down sharply on his watch?

172 of his MPs already asked him to resign due to his record...
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556

Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: Jeremy Corbyn pushes the nuclear button after all. https://twitter.com/rachyoungeritv/status/871682620110905344

What a cretin. She literally has resigned and reapplied for her job.
    He is too stupid to be an MP.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Corbyn calls on May to resign. He's lost it.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

theakes said:

Ultimately, though, Tim Farron is a social conservative with left wing economic views.

If you are a social conservative, then your are already well served by the Conservatives.
    If you have left wing economic views, there is the Labour Party.

There is a niche for the Liberal Democrats. Under Tim Farron, who seems to have found it all a bit too much, they are not filling it.

One thing is that the Lib Dem vote comes out for every parish, town hall and all other local elections. Alot of support for the big two only bothers for a GE.
    Which implies there is no more support out there for the LDs. If the LDs had two London based operatives directing 8 or 10 other helpers in Sedbergh for the Cumbria CC Elections - and they did, then what were they doing ? Either they were getting out voters who would have stayed at home otherwise or they were wasting time. In view of Sedbergh and Kirkby Lonsdale having I think the highest turnout in Cumbria, and probably anywhere on 4 May, at 55% I assume they were doing something. In that case, how many more LDs are there in Sedbergh to come out for Timmy on Thursday. Proportionally fewer than there are Tories.

Sedbergh is the most extreme example of this in Westmorland - it was always the hardest seat for the LDs to hold - curious they lost Windermere, presumably the Tories had a better candidate - but also the LDs didn't fight as hard there.

You might think the LDs would be trying harder in the four Kendal divisions where they had lesser fights on May 4 but the evidence on the ground suggests they are concentrating on their weakest Kendal division - one Kendal CCC has gone up to Carlisle to be parliamentary candidate.

Whilst we don't have much time for Farron himself W&L Conservatives do not under-estimate the power of the LD machine. Elections have always been intense in W&L since 2001 but it seems to me that CCHQ do not intend Farron to still be an MP on Friday, and they do not expect him to be either.
    Yes Sedbergh is always the closest CC contest but the Lib Dems were helped this year by the Conservatives putting up a retread serial loser .
    Just for you Mark and the feedback from around SW London here is what is stacking up for the LDs there.
    Twickenham..90% LD

Richmond 40% LD

Kingston 50% LD

Sutton 5% LD

C&W 35% LD

Thoughts?

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,459
    Hazel Blears attacking Corbyn's call for resignation and playing politics on this issue.

Big mistake by Corbyn
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

theakes said:

Yes, but the process has been more than helped by a misdirected and out of touch campaign by the Lib Dems who blew it in the first fortnight by allowing Labour to totally dominate the scene. There was no way back after that. Whoever advised their campaign may be looking for a P45.
    Hammond might be PM by the weekend someone said, he might be Leader of the Opposition?

Ultimately, though, Tim Farron is a social conservative with left wing economic views.

If you are a social conservative, then your are already well served by the Conservatives.

There is a niche for the Liberal Democrats. Under Tim Farron, who seems to have found it all a bit too much, they are not filling it.
    One thing is that the Lib Dem vote comes out for every parish, town hall and all other local elections. Alot of support for the big two only bothers for a GE.
    Which implies there is no more support out there for the LDs. If the LDs had two London based operatives directing 8 or 10 other helpers in Sedbergh for the Cumbria CC Elections - and they did, then what were they doing ? Either they were getting out voters who would have stayed at home otherwise or they were wasting time. In view of Sedbergh and Kirkby Lonsdale having I think the highest turnout in Cumbria, and probably anywhere on 4 May, at 55% I assume they were doing something. In that case, how many more LDs are there in Sedbergh to come out for Timmy on Thursday. Proportionally fewer than there are Tories.

Sedbergh is the most extreme example of this in Westmorland - it was always the hardest seat for the LDs to hold - curious they lost Windermere, presumably the Tories had a better candidate - but also the LDs didn't fight as hard there.

You might think the LDs would be trying harder in the four Kendal divisions where they had lesser fights on May 4 but the evidence on the ground suggests they are concentrating on their weakest Kendal division - one Kendal CCC has gone up to Carlisle to be parliamentary candidate.

Whilst we don't have much time for Farron himself W&L Conservatives do not under-estimate the power of the LD machine. Elections have always been intense in W&L since 2001 but it seems to me that CCHQ do not intend Farron to still be an MP on Friday, and they do not expect him to be either.
    Yes Sedbergh is always the closest CC contest but the Lib Dems were helped this year by the Conservatives putting up a retread serial loser .
    Mark you do yourself no credit with this sort of unpleasant pettiness.
    And what credit does Mr Lancaster do himself by posting bullsh1t ?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,399

rkrkrk said:

I know some PBers were frotaging themselves over that YouTube video of Corbyn/terrorism getting a couple of million views in a few days.

This video has got over 5 million views in less than a day, and it's not exactly optimal for Theresa May

https://www.facebook.com/EalingLabour4Corbyn/videos/538044779919764/

Frotaging? Dare I google that at work?

But yes - pretty damning, suspect all the more powerful because delivered by an apparently independent police officer...
    No, don't google it at work.
    Frotting is pithier, and doesn't have the Frenchified cadence that you patriotic Anglo dry humpers would, I'm sure, deplore.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

Who does he think he is, Steve Hilton?
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    Jeremy Corbyn will be on the front page of Kerrang magazine on Wednesday. He has already been on the cover of the NME with a message of "HOPE". I don't reckon so many young people will abstain as usual.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: Jeremy Corbyn pushes the nuclear button after all. https://twitter.com/rachyoungeritv/status/871682620110905344

What a fascinating tactic. Doesn't strike me that Corbyn all that confident on Thursday
    If only we had an event on Thursday which would decide these things....
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,044
    edited June 2017
    Scott_P said:
    Brilliant. Hope that ends up trending in the US, where their media think that Brits are cowering under siege.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,728

rkrkrk said:

I know some PBers were frotaging themselves over that YouTube video of Corbyn/terrorism getting a couple of million views in a few days.

This video has got over 5 million views in less than a day, and it's not exactly optimal for Theresa May

But yes - pretty damning, suspect all the more powerful because delivered by an apparently independent police officer...
    Frotting is pithier, and doesn't have the Frenchified cadence that you patriotic Anglo dry humpers would, I'm sure, deplore.
    Frotting it is.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Yes Corbyn is channelling Hilton...

@PA: #Breaking Jeremy Corbyn says he backs similar calls by "very responsible people" who are "very worried" about her record
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: This wouldn't make any sense if Corbyn seriously thought he was about to win a general election twitter.com/rachyoungeritv…

Shades of 'lock her up'? He knows the weakest link is May's leadership and wants that to be the focus rather than anything else.
    Ironically, just last month, Theresa May's leadership was the entire basis of the Tory campaign, with even the party name being airbrushed out.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    timmo said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

theakes said:

Just for you Mark and the feedback from around SW London here is what is stacking up for the LDs there.
    Twickenham..90% LD

Richmond 40% LD

Kingston 50% LD

Sutton 5% LD

C&W 35% LD

Thoughts?

What do those figures mean - likelihood to win?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    James Delingpole does seem to retweet quite a lot of tweets from ex-PB star Plato.

Make of that what you will....
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,953
    Depressing that the country is under attack from terrorists and it's being used as a political football...
  • Options
    Making friends with the Corbynistas I see.

doesn't sound like he thinks he'll be dealing with JC as PM on Friday.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    edited June 2017
    Scott_P said:

@PA: #Breaking Jeremy Corbyn says he backs similar calls by "very responsible people" who are "very worried" about her record

He better watch it, someone is going to ask him to name five.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Nah. It keeps the focus on May and her record. The knows what he's doing
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Interestingly - he includes the PM in his final sentence. Straw in the wind?
  • Options
    Cyan said:

Jeremy Corbyn will be on the front page of Kerrang magazine on Wednesday. He has already been on the cover of the NME with a message of "HOPE". I don't reckon so many young people will abstain as usual.

Lol Kerrang and NME I'll sure he'll pick up all 3 of their readership.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Ishmael_Z said:

The Saudi government is no more responsible for the funding of Isis by some of its citizens than the UK government has been responsible for the funding of the IRA by some UK citizens.

There are no grounds for thinking that there is a valid analogy there. The wealth of SA is concentrated among about 2,000 members of the royal family, which is also the government. An analogy with the UK might work a bit better if everyone in both Houses of Parliament were also a cousin of Mrs May, and the IRA were funded by MPs.
    Which members of the Saudi government are funding ISIS?
    Maybe if that report into extremist funding was published we'd know.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,248

Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: This wouldn't make any sense if Corbyn seriously thought he was about to win a general election twitter.com/rachyoungeritv…

Shades of 'lock her up'? He knows the weakest link is May's leadership and wants that to be the focus rather than anything else.
    Ironically, just last month, Theresa May's leadership was the entire basis of the Tory campaign, with even the party name being airbrushed out.
    May still polls above her party, Corbyn still polls below his
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,039
    Here's what Labour activists think of BAMEs that vote the "wrong way"

https://twitter.com/wallaceme/status/871687569611816960
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

It's both a nonsense and a clever political move.

Focusing on a weak point for the Conservatives generally and May particularly. Corbyn driving the narrative again.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Freggles said:

His own party are disowning the comment. It's idiotic when there's an election on thursday.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

James Delingpole does seem to retweet quite a lot of tweets from ex-PB star Plato.

I hope they'll be very happy together.
  • Options
    GeoffHGeoffH Posts: 56

Scott_P said:

Cuts? More spending? Doesn't matter what business you are in second-rate managers always tell their bosses what a superb job they could do if only they had more people, more cash, more technology etc.

It was ever thus. Such calls now mean owt.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,090

I love my grammar

Not enough, apparently.

The debate was the plural of Tardis either Tardises or Tardis (like sheep is the plural of sheep) but definitely not Tardii.

• Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Corbyn wants the PM to resign??

How many terror attacks does he think there would be if the PM had to resign every time there was one? Idiot.

Yesterday we saw an inspiring amount of Keeping Calm and Carrying On. Corbyn seems to want to do the precise opposite.

I guess he has seen some private polling and knows it all up for him. Judging by Paul Mason's increasingly unhinged Twitter feed the left knows the pond it can fish from will never be big enough.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@MartinHoscik: As @PickardJE just said, this is a baffling thing to say 3 days out from polling day. twitter.com/rachyoungeritv…

@JamesTapsfield: This is just a bit odd three days before an election twitter.com/rachyoungeritv…

These three commenters would have a point if all voters interpreted everything literally. Corbyn is stressing that he is pro-police and he is blaming May's poor leadership for worsening security. Seems sensible rather than stupid or baffling, and the unusual quality of it draws attention.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    timmo said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

theakes said:

Twickenham..90% LD

Richmond 40% LD

Kingston 50% LD

Sutton 5% LD

C&W 35% LD

Thoughts?

Will hold my thought for another couple of days . My feedback though is much more positive re holding C and W than it was 3/4 weeks ago .
  • Options
    JackW said:

It's both a nonsense and a clever political move.

Focusing on a weak point for the Conservatives generally and May particularly. Corbyn driving the narrative again.
    A lot of the commentariat are already concentrating on the nonsense aspect:

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/871687962613993476

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/871687526792253440

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/871687563362304001
  • Options
    Beth Rigby of Sky who is no Theresa May supporter says Corbyn's call for Theresa May to resign ignores that she is up for election in three days time and that it could backfire on him
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Jonathan said:

Who does he think he is, Steve Hilton?
    Steve Hilton is far more of a has been than Corbyn

(although ask me again next week)
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

I imagine it means Delingpole retweets a lot of links with one-word exclamations like WTF!! so you have to follow Plato's link to try and guess what part of this 45 minute alt-right video has excited her -- except she's probably not actually watched the thing anyway.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

and posters are a more effective method of reaching genuine swing voters

Well the Tories are in desperate trouble if the election will be decided by poster count !
    Billboard advertising not garden and window posters which are absolutely useless at predicting election results, Tories almost never put them in the window unlike Labour, Tories at most either put a poster on a post in the garden or Tory farmers put them by their fields
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852

Cyan said:

Lol Kerrang and NME I'll sure he'll pick up all 3 of their readership.

The other one wont have registered to vote.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,044
    edited June 2017
    Scott_P said:

But he thinks we should replace her with someone who wants to take tea and biscuits with ISIS, thinks Britain shouldn't have a domestic intelligence service, special branch or armed police, supported prosecution of British troops, voted against every piece of anti terror legislation since 1983, invited the IRA to Parliament the week after they tried to assassinate the Cabinet, attended memorial services for terrorists, worked for Iranian propaganda TV station, thinks we should never use a nuclear weapon even if under attack but should maintain it anyway to keep the jobs........
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Weather news: most places in the Midlands are going to have a lot of rain on Thursday.
  • Options

Freggles said:

His own party are disowning the comment. It's idiotic when there's an election on thursday.
    Corbyn disliked within Labour? Well I never. Wait till the voters find out.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,182
    A rather interesting interview from a couple of decades back suggesting that all of this might have been Zbigniew's fault...

http://www.counterpunch.org/1998/01/15/how-jimmy-carter-and-i-started-the-mujahideen/
    Q: When the Soviets justified their intervention by asserting that they intended to fight against a secret involvement of the United States in Afghanistan, people didn’t believe them. However, there was a basis of truth. You don’t regret anything today?

Brzezinski: Regret what? That secret operation was an excellent idea. It had the effect of drawing the Russians into the Afghan trap and you want me to regret it? The day that the Soviets officially crossed the border, I wrote to President Carter: We now have the opportunity of giving to the USSR its Vietnam war. Indeed, for almost 10 years, Moscow had to carry on a war unsupportable by the government, a conflict that brought about the demoralization and finally the breakup of the Soviet empire.

Q: And neither do you regret having supported the Islamic [integrisme], having given arms and advice to future terrorists?

Brzezinski: What is most important to the history of the world? The Taliban or the collapse of the Soviet empire? Some stirred-up Moslems or the liberation of Central Europe and the end of the cold war?
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    It's almost as if Corbyn doesn't want to win.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Sadiq Khan is a useful reminder that not all senior Labour figures are dangerous idiots.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Not a big Nick Cohen fan, but this is quite good.

https://twitter.com/NickCohen4/status/871682820334379008
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

What happened to Plato? She was prolific.

Did she go too far down the right wing rabbit hole?
  • Options
    If this was Crosby and the Conservatives it'd be lauded as a brilliant dead cat manoeuvre!
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,341
    Interesting approach by Corbyn in calling for May's resignation. I hate to say it, but everything he's done this campaign has been shrewd, so maybe he's on to something again. Theresa will win of course but - my God! - she's come out of all this battered and bruised.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Hazel Blears attacking Corbyn's call for resignation and playing politics on this issue.

Big mistake by Corbyn

As others have said, she is effectively resigning on Thursday and seeking another endorsement from voters. Epic fail from Corbyn.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited June 2017
    Essexit said:

It's almost as if Corbyn doesn't want to win.

He can't protest against himself. I don't know why he would want to win.
  • Options
    Nice rewording of the Mayor's tweet:

https://twitter.com/MayorofLondon/status/871689232862990336

One wonders how much screaming down the phone this followed.
  • Options
    I agree but its still no more than 35%!from what ive seen..
    As usual it will be a GOTV battle
    Sutton the LDs are nowhere though do you think that?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

rkrkrk said:

Frottage is a completely innocent word in French - it just means rubbing - including making a brass rubbing, which gives a lot of scope for comedic misunderstandings.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

What happened to Plato? She was prolific.

Did she go too far down the right wing rabbit hole?
    Shes on twitter. Very much a fan of Trump. And the ukip wing of conservatism.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,039
    Alot of Kerrang readers will be heading down to Download on Thursday. Nevertheless Corbyn is a natural fit.
    Friday morning in Donnington will be funereal.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Corbyn's call for May to resign isn't aimed at the political junkies but Joe Bloggs who sees a reasonable relationship between massive police cuts and terror attacks. Put simply :

"May cut 20,000 coppers and here we are today."
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    edited June 2017
    Was going to say that in calling for May's resignation, Corbyn had gone nuclear. But following the QT special that clearly cannot be the case.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739

Scott_P said:

Hey Alastair, you usually get things absolutely correct. Surely the Prime Minister didn't resign. She's no longer an MP but is still PM.

https://www.parliament.uk/about/how/elections-and-voting/general/dissolution/

"What happens to the Government when Parliament is dissolved?

Parliament and Government are two separate institutions.

The Government does not resign when Parliament is dissolved. Government ministers remain in charge of their departments until after the result of the election is known and a new administration is formed.

The Prime Minister is appointed by the Sovereign. Ministers are appointed by the Sovereign on the advice of the Prime Minister. These appointments are independent of the role of MP. Ministers retain their ministerial titles after dissolution, but those who were MPs can no longer use the MP suffix."
  • Options
    felix said:

timmo said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

theakes said:

Twickenham..90% LD

Richmond 40% LD

Kingston 50% LD

Sutton 5% LD

C&W 35% LD

Thoughts?

What do those figures mean - likelihood to win?
    Yes..
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,182
    Dura_Ace said:

I love my grammar

Not enough, apparently.

The debate was the plural of Tardis either Tardises or Tardis (like sheep is the plural of sheep) but definitely not Tardii.

TSE said he loved *his* grammar - not yours...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:
    Brilliant. Hope that ends up trending in the US, where their media think that Brits are cowering under siege.
    Isn't that OGH standing under the "I" of "Brit"?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,341

I think Cohen lifted that from Peter Hitchens on David Cameron.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Cyan said:

Scott_P said:

@MartinHoscik: As @PickardJE just said, this is a baffling thing to say 3 days out from polling day. twitter.com/rachyoungeritv…

@JamesTapsfield: This is just a bit odd three days before an election twitter.com/rachyoungeritv…

These three commenters would have a point if all voters interpreted everything literally. Corbyn is stressing that he is pro-police and he is blaming May's poor leadership for worsening security. Seems sensible rather than stupid or baffling, and the unusual quality of it draws attention.
    It's getting the conversation back on police funding, but also making Corbyn look rather stupid. I'm not sure if overall that helps Labour or not.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

rkrkrk said:

Frottage is a completely innocent word in French - it just means rubbing - including making a brass rubbing, which gives a lot of scope for comedic misunderstandings.
    Does it have any sexual connotation in French, or have they gone down the 'le dry humping' road?
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    AndyJS said:

Weather news: most places in the Midlands are going to have a lot of rain on Thursday.

Who would that favour?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,159
    JackW said:

Corbyn's call for May to resign isn't aimed at the political junkies but Joe Bloggs who sees a reasonable relationships between massive police cuts and terror attacks. Put simply :

Right, it's like Trump's Lock Her Up line. It excites the base, but that's not the point. What matters is that it makes low-information floating voters dimly perceive that there might be something worth locking her up over.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited June 2017
    JackW said:

Corbyn's call for May to resign isn't aimed at the political junkies but Joe Bloggs who sees a reasonable relationship between massive police cuts and terror attacks. Put simply :

From my experience most people who aren't political junkies understand the reason for terrorist attacks is terrorists. It is political junkie whataboutery that dissents.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

Sadiq Khan is a useful reminder that not all senior Labour figures are dangerous idiots.

Until you remember that he helped to nominate Corbyn.
  • Options
    Kerrang!’s circulation reached an average of 44,013 copies in the six months to 30 June, behind its highest circulation to date of 85,377 in July to December 2006. However, it was up 1.8% compared with the first six months of 2009, and 7% period on period.

Read more at http://www.campaignlive.co.uk/article/magazine-abcs-kerrang-high-note-music-film/1022008#2b48fHkALV071b4F.99

It looks to be targeted at those with very high levels of skunk intake. Really not the biggest threat on May's radar.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    DanSmith said:

Tony_M said:

DanSmith said:

Tony_M said:

Lib Dems gambled on fighting the election on reversing Brexit.

Now the top topic is security, they seem to have nothing to say about how to stop terrorism.

Things can only get worse not better.

Maybe not axing 20,000 police officers would have been a good start.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4571186/May-cut-police-numbers-paying-price.html
    Would those 20,000 police officers have all been on duty on London Bridge and at Borough on Saturday night?

And even if they had, could they have stopped that attack?

Did all those extra officers,in the various forces, stop the attacks in 2005?

What point are you trying to make?
    You talk to any officer in London and they will tell you the force is underfunded and underresourced.
    2 of my best friends are Dan. I was at their house Saturday night as this was kicking off. And yes, they do say that. But, they also accept that no amount of officers on the beat will stop this type of attack.

Their twopennerth is that more cash needs to go to the security services.
    My best mate is an officer, the stories he's told me about working conditions have convinced me there is no debate to be had, the police needs more money and fast.
    No they do not, they really do not. What they need is some serious leaders who will really take an axe to the back office and concentrate on doing the job they are paid for. Some progress has been made in this respect in recent years but there are still far too many "civvies" employed in jobs that actually only exist to give work to other "civvies".

The budget cuts on the police were imposed by the Treasury (that was TSE's great mate, Osborne) and not by the Home Office. How those cuts were implemented was decided by each individual force (in practice by its Chief Officer) not the Home Secretary. Some forces cut more from the frontline than others. Most, if not all, still kept on far too many back-office staff. Possibly because the committees and working parties who decided where the axes will fall were overloaded with senior back office staff (ain't no HR director on a six figure salary going to propose a cut in the HR department).

When police forces have got their back office functions and staffing levels back to those of the 1980's then they might have a genuine gripe about funding. Until then the Police need to put their own house in order.

As an aside Police and Crime Commissioners might just be held to account for the state of their police force. If people don't like the way the cuts have been implemented they might perhaps vote for someone else rather than on simple party lines.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

Plato's an ex-star? When did this happen? Honestly, I go away for 5 minutes...
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

God P1ssing on Labour's plans?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Who would that favour?
    Not sure. A lot of people say the weather doesn't make any difference, especially with postal votes. But anecdotally you can't help thinking bad weather does discourage a few voters, particularly those who aren't that bothered about the election.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited June 2017
    calum said:
    Interesting how it's similar to the campaign down south - 'Conservative' largely airbrushed out entirely, it's 'Ruth Davidson's candidate'.
  • Options
    Brom said:

It's getting the conversation back on police funding, but also making Corbyn look rather stupid. I'm not sure if overall that helps Labour or not.

This also follows the Trump parallel. He already looks stupid, he has nothing to lose by being audacious.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739

JackW said:

From my experience most people who aren't political junkies understand the reason for terrorist attacks is terrorists.
    But greater police numbers and MI5/GCHQ resources can limit the success of terrorists, can they not?
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

I think Cohen lifted that from Peter Hitchens on David Cameron.
    Hardly worth stealing.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Ooh...is something about to come out?

May is probably in the lead at the moment, but she is not stable. A collapse of her support is more likely than a collapse of Labour's. The Tory attackers have already thrown everything they've got at Corbyn and he's still standing.

May's husband Philip works for Capital Group, which has a big presence in Saudi. Is that what's coming? Which clients does he manage relationships with?

• Options

JackW said:

From my experience most people who aren't political junkies understand the reason for terrorist attacks is terrorists.
    See edmundintokyo @ 12:30pm
  • Options
    PatrickPatrick Posts: 225

AndyJS said:

Who would that favour?
    I imagine that those least likely to vote will be even less likely to if it's tipping down. Teenagers and students to stay in bed. I'll chalk that up as good for Mrs May.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Until you remember that he helped to nominate Corbyn.
    Good point.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    edited June 2017
    Corbyn u-turns on shoot-to-kill, meanwhile a video of him saying he is against it goes viral. So a screeching u-turn 3 days before an election. That's not smart politics, it is a silly old fool who cannot jettison a lifetime of anti-British pacifism.
  • Options
    One more thing about this is that Islamicist terrorism and UK intelligence are things that *Russian* intelligence know a lot about. There may well be some more stuff about May ready to roll out.
  • Options

Brom said:

This also follows the Trump parallel. He already looks stupid, he has nothing to lose by being audacious.
    Every labour politician will now be quizzed if he was right to politicise the attack
  • Options

what was the original wording?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,446

JackW said:

Corbyn's call for May to resign isn't aimed at the political junkies but Joe Bloggs who sees a reasonable relationships between massive police cuts and terror attacks. Put simply :

Right, it's like Trump's Lock Her Up line. It excites the base, but that's not the point. What matters is that it makes low-information floating voters dimly perceive that there might be something worth locking her up over.
    May isn't an MP. But she is PM. And as we've seen in the coverage over the last 24 hours she's taking a lot of flack for cutting police numbers so deeply. And its something thats been a live issue in my town for a couple of years. So handcuffing May to the cuts will resonate, and provides a rebuttal to what the Tories are trying to do in pinning responsibility for terrorism onto Corbyn
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Who would that favour?
    The Tories. More of them have cars.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

rkrkrk said:

Does it have any sexual connotation in French, or have they gone down the 'le dry humping' road?
    I don't know and would be very cautious about who I asked; it's quite likely it has re-crossed the channel as frottage but with added Anglo Saxon innuendo.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Cyan said:

Scott_P said:

Ooh...is something about to come out?

May is probably in the lead at the moment, but she is not stable. A collapse of her support is more likely than a collapse of Labour's. The Tory attackers have already thrown everything they've got at Corbyn and he's still standing.

May's husband Philip works for Capital Group, which has a big presence in Saudi. Is that what's coming? Which clients does he manage relationships with?

Why? The Tories have consistently been over 40% for months, that will not change in 3 days, Corbyn is only up because he is squeezing the LDs and UKIP and the Greens, there is no net movement from Tory to Labour as most Tories won't touch him with a bargepole, indeed most polls show a small net movement from Labour to Tory since 2015

As for Hilton Cameron hates him.now after he backed Leave and now the rest of the Tory Party will hate him too
  • Options
    Completely off topic: If you're a serious music lover and are in London on GE day, whilst waiting for the exit poll to be released you can hear one of the very best up-and-coming lieder singers at the Wignore Hall: Anna Lucia Richter singing Schubert. She's absolutely stunning. Still plenty of tickets left, which is remarkable. Absolutely not to be missed.
  • Options

Brom said:

Every labour politician will now be quizzed if he was right to politicise the attack
    May politicised it yesterday. Next.
  • Options

Brom said:

Even better.

Every Labour politician: "I think that Jeremy Corbyn was right to point out that [attack line goes here].
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

Scott_P said:

Hey Alastair, you usually get things absolutely correct. Surely the Prime Minister didn't resign. She's no longer an MP but is still PM.

https://www.parliament.uk/about/how/elections-and-voting/general/dissolution/

"What happens to the Government when Parliament is dissolved?

Parliament and Government are two separate institutions.

The Government does not resign when Parliament is dissolved. Government ministers remain in charge of their departments until after the result of the election is known and a new administration is formed.

The Prime Minister is appointed by the Sovereign. Ministers are appointed by the Sovereign on the advice of the Prime Minister. These appointments are independent of the role of MP. Ministers retain their ministerial titles after dissolution, but those who were MPs can no longer use the MP suffix."
    But she's working her notice - unless the voters decide she gets her job back.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Something like: "I attended COBRA this morning, where we were updated by the PM and the security services. They’re doing everything they can to keep us safe"
  • Options
    edited June 2017

JackW said:

May isn't an MP. But she is PM. And as we've seen in the coverage over the last 24 hours she's taking a lot of flack for cutting police numbers so deeply. And its something thats been a live issue in my town for a couple of years. So handcuffing May to the cuts will resonate, and provides a rebuttal to what the Tories are trying to do in pinning responsibility for terrorism onto Corbyn
    You are both understanding it well. It's not at all a stupid move by Corbyn. It's bright. This may be the reason that some Tories are foaming at the mouth with hatred and shouting "cretin".

This may be the first election for 20 years where Labour gets some effective blows in during the last few days.

And it looks to me as though it's the first blow in a case of "the old one-two". We shall find out.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222
    Charles said:

He said the PM was doing everything possible (I think). Now just talking about the security services. I hope Guido got a screen grab of the original.
This discussion has been closed.