Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE2017 heralds the return of two party politics

Comments

• Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited June 2017
    JackW said:

JackW said:

Corbyn's call for May to resign isn't aimed at the political junkies but Joe Bloggs who sees a reasonable relationship between massive police cuts and terror attacks. Put simply :

"May cut 20,000 coppers and here we are today."

From my experience most people who aren't political junkies understand the reason for terrorist attacks is terrorists.
    See edmundintokyo @ 12:30pm
    Yes, but what i'm saying is that actually it is about appealing to his base of political junkie conspiracy theorist loons, this won't have an effect on joe bloggs.

I'm sorry but the Trump/Corbyn parallels only go so far. In reality their voter base is somewhat different.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2017
    "London terrorist appeared in Channel 4 jihadi documentary and 'tried to go to Syria'"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/05/london-terrorist-appeared-channel-4-jihadi-documentary-tried/
  • Options
    PatrickPatrick Posts: 225
    Jason said:

...a lifetime of anti-British pacifism...

He's no pacifist. He's super comfortable with violence - as long as it is violence conducted in support of a cause he likes. Even now many 'Tory scum' Labour MPs are physically intimated by his Momentum boot boys putting bricks through their windows. Or try being a Jew in the Labour party.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    edited June 2017
    nother quick Q. I've had a horrible thought. Can't remember if I stuck doen my innerenvolope on my postal vote. Will it still count if I didn't?

Edit - I hate the keyboard on my computer
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    HYUFD said:

Cyan said:

Scott_P said:

Yes Corbyn is channelling Hilton...

@PA: #Breaking Jeremy Corbyn says he backs similar calls by "very responsible people" who are "very worried" about her record

Ooh...is something about to come out?

May is probably in the lead at the moment, but she is not stable. A collapse of her support is more likely than a collapse of Labour's. The Tory attackers have already thrown everything they've got at Corbyn and he's still standing.

May's husband Philip works for Capital Group, which has a big presence in Saudi. Is that what's coming? Which clients does he manage relationships with?

Why? The Tories have consistently been over 40% for months, that will not change in 3 days, Corbyn is only up because he is squeezing the LDs and UKIP and the Greens, there is no net movement from Tory to Labour as most Tories won't touch him with a bargepole, indeed most polls show a small net movement from Labour to Tory since 2015

As for Hilton Cameron hates him.now after he backed Leave and now the rest of the Tory Party will hate him too
    Even today's ICM poll had more 2015 Con voters moving to Labour than vice versa 72 to 64 ,
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    Patrick said:

Jason said:

...a lifetime of anti-British pacifism...

He's no pacifist. He's super comfortable with violence - as long as it is violence conducted in support of a cause he likes. Even now many 'Tory scum' Labour MPs are physically intimated by his Momentum boot boys putting bricks through their windows. Or try being a Jew in the Labour party.
    Do you know who founded Momentum?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,798
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

rkrkrk said:

I know some PBers were frotaging themselves over that YouTube video of Corbyn/terrorism getting a couple of million views in a few days.

This video has got over 5 million views in less than a day, and it's not exactly optimal for Theresa May

https://www.facebook.com/EalingLabour4Corbyn/videos/538044779919764/

Frotaging? Dare I google that at work?

But yes - pretty damning, suspect all the more powerful because delivered by an apparently independent police officer...
    No, don't google it at work.
    Frotting is pithier, and doesn't have the Frenchified cadence that you patriotic Anglo dry humpers would, I'm sure, deplore.
    Frottage is a completely innocent word in French - it just means rubbing - including making a brass rubbing, which gives a lot of scope for comedic misunderstandings.
    Does it have any sexual connotation in French, or have they gone down the 'le dry humping' road?
    I don't know and would be very cautious about who I asked; it's quite likely it has re-crossed the channel as frottage but with added Anglo Saxon innuendo.
    Francois Rabelais - C16 Gargantua - se frottant leur lard

"rubbing their bacon" as the two backed beast

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Nice rewording of the Mayor's tweet:

https://twitter.com/MayorofLondon/status/871689232862990336

One wonders how much screaming down the phone this followed.

what was the original wording?
    Something like: "I attended COBRA this morning, where we were updated by the PM and the security services. They’re doing everything they can to keep us safe"
    I can see why Corbyn might not think that helpful
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,096

Brom said:

It's getting the conversation back on police funding, but also making Corbyn look rather stupid. I'm not sure if overall that helps Labour or not.

This also follows the Trump parallel. He already looks stupid, he has nothing to lose by being audacious.
    Every labour politician will now be quizzed if he was right to politicise the attack
    Of course he was right to do it. A revolution is not a dinner party, as Chairman M. said.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,929

No they do not, they really do not. What they need is some serious leaders who will really take an axe to the back office and concentrate on doing the job they are paid for. Some progress has been made in this respect in recent years but there are still far too many "civvies" employed in jobs that actually only exist to give work to other "civvies".

The budget cuts on the police were imposed by the Treasury (that was TSE's great mate, Osborne) and not by the Home Office. How those cuts were implemented was decided by each individual force (in practice by its Chief Officer) not the Home Secretary. Some forces cut more from the frontline than others. Most, if not all, still kept on far too many back-office staff. Possibly because the committees and working parties who decided where the axes will fall were overloaded with senior back office staff (ain't no HR director on a six figure salary going to propose a cut in the HR department).

When police forces have got their back office functions and staffing levels back to those of the 1980's then they might have a genuine gripe about funding. Until then the Police need to put their own house in order.

As an aside Police and Crime Commissioners might just be held to account for the state of their police force. If people don't like the way the cuts have been implemented they might perhaps vote for someone else rather than on simple party lines.

Friend of mine works on cost-cutting reform in the police in the South of England.
    She said there were lots of redundant processes that needed to be automated in the back office - like making people pay things online rather than letting them send in cheques for instance.

That said - we should be wary about just assuming back office is useless and needs to be slashed. That's how you end up with BA IT outsourcing nightmares... But definitely true that you have to keep up with changing, more efficient ways of working...
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,161
    edited June 2017

I'm sorry but the Trump/Corbyn parallels only go so far. In reality their voter base is somewhat different.

This is of course true, but oddly the floating voters they're fighting for are pretty much the same: White, low-information, middle-aged-to-elderly, formerly left-voting...
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    Cyan said:

JackW said:

Corbyn's call for May to resign isn't aimed at the political junkies but Joe Bloggs who sees a reasonable relationships between massive police cuts and terror attacks. Put simply :

Right, it's like Trump's Lock Her Up line. It excites the base, but that's not the point. What matters is that it makes low-information floating voters dimly perceive that there might be something worth locking her up over.
    May isn't an MP. But she is PM. And as we've seen in the coverage over the last 24 hours she's taking a lot of flack for cutting police numbers so deeply. And its something thats been a live issue in my town for a couple of years. So handcuffing May to the cuts will resonate, and provides a rebuttal to what the Tories are trying to do in pinning responsibility for terrorism onto Corbyn
    You are both understanding it well. It's not at all a stupid move by Corbyn. It's bright. This may be the reason that some Tories are foaming at the mouth with hatred and shouting "cretin".

This may be the first election for 20 years where Labour gets some effective blows in during the last few days.

And it looks to me as though it's the first blow in a case of "the old one-two". We shall find out.
    Depends how naive you believe the British public are. Most people will now know Corbyn's past record on terrorism (and being friends of terrorist organisations), and all of the associated baggage. Now, in a last desperate stunt to shift the news agenda, he's asking for the PM to resign.

If you believe Corbyn is on safe ground on this subject, then you are a bigger fool than he is.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Something like: "I attended COBRA this morning, where we were updated by the PM and the security services. They’re doing everything they can to keep us safe"
    But petty and mean spirited looking of the Mayor to bother retweeting.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Get the Parliamentary video of Corbyn defending Isis supporters featured on Guido into the mainstream and he is finished. Vital to counter the totally dishonest Labour attack.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,447
    Shoot to kill is simple. If there is no alternative then fine, do it. If there is any chance of safely protecting the public and leaving them alive then that HAS to be the best option.

These jihadists are a brilliant source of intelligence. A thorough interrogation is something we should be aiming for if possible.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,404
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2017
    YouGov's election model has Labour slightly ahead in Canterbury where the Tories have a majority of almost 10,000 votes and the result last time was Con 43% Lab 25%.

https://yougov.co.uk/uk-general-election-2017/
  • Options
    roserees64roserees64 Posts: 251
    To be fair to Jeremy Corbyn he did say that a win for Labour would be the best way of ensuring that Theresa May could not preside over more cuts to policing. She has been the Home Secretary for so long and then Prime Minister so she must bear some responsibility for system failures.

In asking for her to resign he is underlining the extent of her culpability.

May has already blatently played politics with this issue.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,960
    Cyan said:

JackW said:

Corbyn's call for May to resign isn't aimed at the political junkies but Joe Bloggs who sees a reasonable relationships between massive police cuts and terror attacks. Put simply :

Right, it's like Trump's Lock Her Up line. It excites the base, but that's not the point. What matters is that it makes low-information floating voters dimly perceive that there might be something worth locking her up over.
    May isn't an MP. But she is PM. And as we've seen in the coverage over the last 24 hours she's taking a lot of flack for cutting police numbers so deeply. And its something thats been a live issue in my town for a couple of years. So handcuffing May to the cuts will resonate, and provides a rebuttal to what the Tories are trying to do in pinning responsibility for terrorism onto Corbyn
    You are both understanding it well. It's not at all a stupid move by Corbyn. It's bright. This may be the reason that some Tories are foaming at the mouth with hatred and shouting "cretin".

This may be the first election for 20 years where Labour gets some effective blows in during the last few days.

And it looks to me as though it's the first blow in a case of "the old one-two". We shall find out.
    Are you talking your book as much as you were in the French election, btw?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    dr_spyn said:

Sadiq Khan is a useful reminder that not all senior Labour figures are dangerous idiots.

Until you remember that he helped to nominate Corbyn.
    His refusal to say the words "islam" and "terrorism" in the same sentence are deeply worrying.

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Freggles said:

Every labour politician will now be quizzed if he was right to politicise the attack

May politicised it yesterday. Next.
    Quite so. i've not been very critical of that either. Actually it's a bit ridiculous that we shouldn't be having a debate during an election marked by terrorist attacks on whether the right policies on terrorism are being followed. Are we really supposed to say "Never mind about all that, what about the culture budget"?
  • Options

Shoot to kill is simple. If there is no alternative then fine, do it. If there is any chance of safely protecting the public and leaving them alive then that HAS to be the best option.

These jihadists are a brilliant source of intelligence. A thorough interrogation is something we should be aiming for if possible.

who in their right mind is going to walk up to a bloke wearing an exploisives vest and ask him to surrender ?

this is like WW2 in the Pacific where they shot the Japs rather than take them prisoner
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Patrick said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

But petty and mean spirited looking of the Mayor to bother retweeting.
    Yes. But then he is an idiot. Not a dangerous idiot (per @RichardNabavi earlier) but an ambitious idiot
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,081

This is of course true, but oddly the floating voters they're fighting for are pretty much the same: White, low-information, middle-aged-to-elderly, formerly left-voting...
    How did we become a world in which low-information voters have the most power?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

YouGov have Labour slightly ahead in Canterbury where the Tories have a majority of almost 10,000 votes and the result last time was Con 43% Lab 25%.

Lots of students at the University of Kent in that constituency.
  • Options

who in their right mind is going to walk up to a bloke wearing an exploisives vest and ask him to surrender ?

this is like WW2 in the Pacific where they shot the Japs rather than take them prisoner
    Not all of them have vests. We're also raiding other addresses and making more arrests. Good. Arrest the bastards, drain them dry of info. Not bothered what happens to them after that.
  • Options
    WinstanleyWinstanley Posts: 434
    Turns out Corbyn was asked a question about whether he would support calls from others for her to resign, and said yes but there's an election soon which can achieve it. Not a planned gambit.

She blundered badly by saying the police were 'crying wolf' over the cuts because they're not being restrained in their criticisms of her now, and they will cut through to the public far more easily than the armchair experts here talking about cutting backroom elements and more efficient management and the like. Very difficult to present coppers as heroes demonstrably putting their lives on the line one day and money-grubbing whingers the next.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited June 2017
    Cyan said:

AndyJS said:

YouGov have Labour slightly ahead in Canterbury where the Tories have a majority of almost 10,000 votes and the result last time was Con 43% Lab 25%.

And Canterbury Christ Church Uni but it will remain blue.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,605
    Hanretty: Tories will win by 10 points.

"Why then is my forecast so bullish about the Conservatives' prospects? In part, it's because of movement I expect to happen between now and the day of the election in the polls. I described how I model this in a previous post, but generally Labour do badly in the run-in to elections."

https://medium.com/@chrishanretty/the-final-straight-5336d7e03406
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    EPG said:

The end of the university seats?
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Cyan said:

AndyJS said:

And Canterbury Christ Church Uni but it will remain blue.
    Didn't we do this last week? There is zero chance of Labour winning Canterbury.
  • Options

Freggles said:

May politicised it yesterday. Next.
    Quite so. i've not been very critical of that either. Actually it's a bit ridiculous that we shouldn't be having a debate during an election marked by terrorist attacks on whether the right policies on terrorism are being followed. Are we really supposed to say "Never mind about all that, what about the culture budget"?
    ...maybe we should divert more of the culture budget to ...erm...reinforcing our own culture...as opposed to their barbaric medieval death cult....just saying...
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Mortimer said:

Cyan said:

JackW said:

Are you talking your book as much as you were in the French election, btw?
    My investment in laying a Con maj is well green (it's risen 35% in value; I laid at 1.17). I'm hoping to increase it a lot, not to sell it. That's the only item in my book. How is yours?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    EPG said:

Brexit

Lies emblazoned the side of buses endorsed by senior politicians, and "we have had enough of experts" as a campaign slogan
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Jason said:

Depends how naive you believe the British public are. Most people will now know Corbyn's past record on terrorism (and being friends of terrorist organisations), and all of the associated baggage. Now, in a last desperate stunt to shift the news agenda, he's asking for the PM to resign.

If you believe Corbyn is on safe ground on this subject, then you are a bigger fool than he is.

Judge Corbyn on what he said and May by what she has done - "judge me on my record" she said. And her record is directly implicated in this terrorist hell we're in. Jeremy hasn't cut a single police officer's job, a single Border Force job, a single PCSO job - May did all of that.

But because his philosophy is "to stop violence you all need to talk" its his fault apparently. How naive do you think the British people are? The solution to the Norther Irish civil war was dialogue as everyone recognises. Talking to the IRA shock is less shock when the commander of the Belfast Brigade for many years was Deputy First Minister and Education Minister.

Go ask people scared to go out at night whats has the biggest impact on their lives. The visible lack of police officers? Or a story in the Sun about what Corbyn said a decade ago?

• Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    EPG said:

Think that's been under discussion since the Reform Acts!

But communicating one idea or factoid to a low-information voter is likely to have a greater swaying influence than communicating one idea or factoid to a high-information voter, since the latter has other information available to sway them. Information you can broadcast to lower-information voters is several times more valuable than to high-information voters.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    edited June 2017
    So, mad but curious question. What if something happened that caused Theresa May to resign as PM/Tory Leader today.

Whilst hugely unlikely (and doesn't have to be May in this hypothetical case), but wonder what would happen if a Tory PM had to go. She doesn't have a deputy in the same way as Corbyn.

Could the Tory party elect a new leader and would the Queen appoint her in a day? Who might it be?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

EPG said:

Brexit

Lies emblazoned the side of buses endorsed by senior politicians, and "we have had enough of experts" as a campaign slogan
    chortle

as opposed to lies endorsed by "experts" and peddled by senior politicans on TV
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Jason said:

Judge Corbyn on what he said and May by what she has done - "judge me on my record" she said. And her record is directly implicated in this terrorist hell we're in. Jeremy hasn't cut a single police officer's job, a single Border Force job, a single PCSO job - May did all of that.

But because his philosophy is "to stop violence you all need to talk" its his fault apparently. How naive do you think the British people are? The solution to the Norther Irish civil war was dialogue as everyone recognises. Talking to the IRA shock is less shock when the commander of the Belfast Brigade for many years was Deputy First Minister and Education Minister.

Go ask people scared to go out at night whats has the biggest impact on their lives. The visible lack of police officers? Or a story in the Sun about what Corbyn said a decade ago?

But to do that he has to defend his own record of voting against all anti terror legislation and why they were all wrong.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613

PaulM said:

That price on selling Plaid seats of 3.6 seems interesting given they only have three seats now.
    I suppose you are betting against them winning Ynys Mon (where they are favoured) or Cerdigion (where they are competitive).
    I do think the three seats they have are fairly safe though. When you look at the regional polling for their "strongholds", I think the regions as defined aren't helpful. "North Wales" has 9 seats, and only three of them have Plaid being historically competitive. In parts of NE Wales they struggle to save the deposit.
    Similarly "Mid and West Wales" covers 8 seats, only a couple of which would have any Plaid history, and some of which like Montgomeryshire have Plaid losing their deposit.
    So the regional splits don't tell you much, but I would have thought that there is no chance they lose the two in the predominatly Welsh speaking areas, and Camarthen East should be fairly safe as well

I'm not a fan of analysing subsamples, which is an exercise similar to examining chicken entrails. I do want to take this head on though. As you note, "Mid and West" has eight seats. Two of these Carmarthen E & Dinefwr and Dwyfor Meirionnydd) Plaid Cymru hold, one of which (Ceredigion) is one of their two main prospects and one of which (Llanelli) is a lurker for them. Admittedly the other four seats are hopeless for them. But the YouGov subsample shows them polling just 9% in this region, fourth behind the Lib Dems. In 2015 they would have been polling just under 20% in this region. If they are losing so many votes in this area - and I hesitate to draw conclusions from subsamples - it's almost impossible to see how they are doing so without doing so in seats they hold or are in serious contention in.

Of course, subsamples are subsamples. But still you have to wonder whether they are going to suffer a calamity.
    Thanks Alastair. I see what you are saying, but the extreme skewing within these regions of the Plaid support means that in addition to the usual pitfalls of subsamples, you would also be assuming that the subsample was somewhat evenly balanced accross the region. If the small to begin with Mid Wales sample is skewed away from the coast, then it will likely give a horrible result for Plaid. Is there any corroborating evidence that Plaid are in trouble in their own seats ?
  • Options

Jason said:

Are you saying those attacks could have been stopped if we had more PCSOs? Don't be silly, man. No amount of Police Officers could stop a determined attack by anyone.

Corbyn has spent his whole career giving succour to our enemies, then performs an absurd u-turn 3 days before a GE, on the behest of Seamus Milne. Please.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Scott_P said:

EPG said:

Brexit

Democracy. "Thick proles get the vote" is a feature, not a bug. If you don't like it, you could stand for parliament on a "no more democracy party".

If the current state of the polling companies does not cure you of your delusion that "expert" is a synonym of "prophet", nothing will.
  • Options
    EPG said:

We live in a Rob Peter To Pay Paul world. Paul has more votes. And spent his formative years in the state education system.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    Cyan said:

JackW said:

Given that he's just reversed, hard, what do you think the "old two" will be?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

So, mad but curious question. What if something happened that caused Theresa May to resign as PM/Tory Leader today.

Whilst hugely unlikely (and doesn't have to be May in this hypothetical case), but wonder what would happen if a Tory PM had to go. She doesn't have a deputy in the same way as Corbyn.

Could the Tory party elect a new leader and would the Queen appoint her in a day? Who might it be?

The cabinet would agree who would take the role of PM and the Queen would summon them.
    Post election they would continue as PM if they commanded the confidence of Parliament and the Tories would have to sort out who was the leader of the party. Major was PM but not leader of the party after he resigned in 1995 until reelected by the PCP.
  • Options

But to do that he has to defend his own record of voting against all anti terror legislation and why they were all wrong.

He's a libertarian. He's already pointed out all the Tories who joined him voting against various AT acts. Including Theresa May.

• Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    As another poster said on here, several times, in the Hansard record there is Ted Heath saying that joining the EU will mean a political union (I paraphrase a bit). If everyone on here is so stupid not to have read that then it's their fault.

Corbyn has said many things over the last 30 years and if everyone on here is so stupid not to believe it it's their fault.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,065
    rkrkrk said:

No they do not, they really do not. What they need is some serious leaders who will really take an axe to the back office and concentrate on doing the job they are paid for. Some progress has been made in this respect in recent years but there are still far too many "civvies" employed in jobs that actually only exist to give work to other "civvies".

The budget cuts on the police were imposed by the Treasury (that was TSE's great mate, Osborne) and not by the Home Office. How those cuts were implemented was decided by each individual force (in practice by its Chief Officer) not the Home Secretary. Some forces cut more from the frontline than others. Most, if not all, still kept on far too many back-office staff. Possibly because the committees and working parties who decided where the axes will fall were overloaded with senior back office staff (ain't no HR director on a six figure salary going to propose a cut in the HR department).

When police forces have got their back office functions and staffing levels back to those of the 1980's then they might have a genuine gripe about funding. Until then the Police need to put their own house in order.

As an aside Police and Crime Commissioners might just be held to account for the state of their police force. If people don't like the way the cuts have been implemented they might perhaps vote for someone else rather than on simple party lines.

Friend of mine works on cost-cutting reform in the police in the South of England.
    She said there were lots of redundant processes that needed to be automated in the back office - like making people pay things online rather than letting them send in cheques for instance.

That said - we should be wary about just assuming back office is useless and needs to be slashed. That's how you end up with BA IT outsourcing nightmares... But definitely true that you have to keep up with changing, more efficient ways of working...
    Well said. As one example, the various police forces used to have individual vehicle procurement for cars, vans and ever helicopters. The latter are now arranged mutually for the whole of England, with commonality of fleet type and huge savings in servicing costs and downtime windows.

The Federation should really be aiming their ire at chief constables and elected commissioners, but they prefer to parrot Labour's line about measuring inputs (number of people) rather than outputs like crime rates and incident response times.

Yesterday they could have led a countrywide show of love for those who protect us, instead of voicing support for theose who think of the terrorists as their friends.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Tories are scared of Seumas. I've never seen one call him stupid or a cretin. Why can it be? :innocentface:
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Weather looks pretty awful on Thursday in a lot of places. Will the yoof drop their Xbox or PS4 controllers and get down to their polling station if it's pissing it down?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,821
    Jonathan said:

Bring it on. I'm on Hammond, Hunt, Rudd at 100/1 and Boris at 50/1 to be PM after the next GE.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

The cabinet would agree who would take the role of PM and the Queen would summon them.
    Post election they would continue as PM if they commanded the confidence of Parliament and the Tories would have to sort out who was the leader of the party. Major was PM but not leader of the party after he resigned in 1995 until reelected by the PCP.
    Wonder who would get the job in this purely hypothetical situation. One of Rudd, Johnson or Hammond I guess, with Rudd probably having the best claim today.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127
    Scott_P said:
    i wonder why they chose that poll and not the one showing Lab much closer.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,014
    EPG said:

I worry more about those with not much longer to live having the most power.

The young have most of their lives ahead of them. The old have it mostly behind them and will die relatively soon.

I think there is a case, in all fairness, for votes to be weighted in proportion to life expectancy.
    The vote of a 25 year old should carry three times the weight of say a 75 year old.

Technically it would be easy to implement - we give our date of birth when we register to vote.

Politically it would be more difficult, - more difficult than introducing PR.
  • Options

He's a libertarian. He's already pointed out all the Tories who joined him voting against various AT acts. Including Theresa May.

But not all. That's the rub. That's where he is weak as much as May is on numbers of bobbies.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

YouGov's election model has Labour slightly ahead in Canterbury where the Tories have a majority of almost 10,000 votes and the result last time was Con 43% Lab 25%.

Massive WTF.

Didn't even happen at the peak of Blair's prowess.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083

Jason said:

He can point to the PM and Brexit Secretary joining him on some of those votes. No interviewer is going to go bill-by-bill so that slings enough mud to close off the discussion as a nil-nil draw. And then the previous Home Sec's failure to use the actual powers she had is a good place to go. May's actual record of action (inaction) is a pretty big weakness for attacks on Corbyn's past opinions.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,127
    Corbyn calling on PM to resign I see - a blatant stunt I'd hope not to work, but obviously its for the core support, who'll love it, but hopefully not others. Criticism might be valid, and necessary, but demands for resignations are rarely done except for partisan point scoring, and little to do with any culpability. If there is some too, that's just a bonus.
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658

Essexit said:

It's almost as if Corbyn doesn't want to win.

He can't protest against himself. I don't know why he would want to win.
    Nutshell.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,263
    AndyJS said:

I think yougov is on a kamikaze mission at the moment
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Not all of them have vests. We're also raiding other addresses and making more arrests. Good. Arrest the bastards, drain them dry of info. Not bothered what happens to them after that.
    I imagine that wearing fake vests (as I think all 3 were?) is intended to induce a "suicide by cop" outcome? Can't think of any other reason. Not that it makes any difference to the police response - because there's no knowing whether the vest is fake or not.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Massive WTF.

Death of Lib Dems having an impact or greatly exaggerated?
  • Options
    edited June 2017

AndyJS said:

Massive WTF.

I think it's safe to say that the YouGov model is about as credible as Jeremy Corbyn saying he would be tough on terror.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Wonder who would get the job in this purely hypothetical situation. One of Rudd, Johnson or Hammond I guess, with Rudd probably having the best claim today.
    Hammond or Rudd depending who has more support in cabinet, probably Rudd
  • Options
    WinstanleyWinstanley Posts: 434

Are you saying those attacks could have been stopped if we had more PCSOs? Don't be silly, man. No amount of Police Officers could stop a determined attack by anyone.

Corbyn has spent his whole career giving succour to our enemies, then performs an absurd u-turn 3 days before a GE, on the behest of Seamus Milne. Please.

If you didn't have a prior commitment to Theresa May being right on this, there's no way you'd come up with the idea that 'no amount of police officers could stop a determined attack by anyone'. We've had warnings from people who actually know what they're talking about on exactly this issue:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/london-terror-attack-bridge-borough-latest-firearms-officer-government-wrong-police-cuts-theresa-may-a7772506.html

http://uk.businessinsider.com/theresa-may-warned-by-manchester-police-that-cuts-risked-terror-attack-2017-5?r=UK&IR=T

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/theresa-may-police-cuts-slammed-by-jim-gamble-former-northern-ireland-counter-terror-chief_uk_5934603ee4b02478cb9cb0dd

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-34877031/police-cuts-terror-response-warning-to-theresa-may

• Options
    Email just received of May and Boris planning a rally in a surprising Labour seat tomorrow.

That won't be by accident.
  • Options

Email just received of May and Boris planning a rally in a surprising Labour seat tomorrow.

Sedgefield, Bolsover or Islington N?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    Labour ahead in Canterbury ?

I have NEVER heard so much tripe in all my life.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PolhomeEditor: Keir Starmer: The fault lies with the terrorists on this occasion and on every occasion.
  • Options
    TypoTypo Posts: 195
    Jonathan said:

Sedgefield would be eye-catching and encouraging (for Tories).
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,739
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    i wonder why they chose that poll and not the one showing Lab much closer.
    That chart should have 'Not to Scale' in large letters.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

HYUFD said:

Cyan said:

Scott_P said:

Yes Corbyn is channelling Hilton...

@PA: #Breaking Jeremy Corbyn says he backs similar calls by "very responsible people" who are "very worried" about her record

Ooh...is something about to come out?

May is probably in the lead at the moment, but she is not stable. A collapse of her support is more likely than a collapse of Labour's. The Tory attackers have already thrown everything they've got at Corbyn and he's still standing.

May's husband Philip works for Capital Group, which has a big presence in Saudi. Is that what's coming? Which clients does he manage relationships with?

Why? The Tories have consistently been over 40% for months, that will not change in 3 days, Corbyn is only up because he is squeezing the LDs and UKIP and the Greens, there is no net movement from Tory to Labour as most Tories won't touch him with a bargepole, indeed most polls show a small net movement from Labour to Tory since 2015

As for Hilton Cameron hates him.now after he backed Leave and now the rest of the Tory Party will hate him too
    Even today's ICM poll had more 2015 Con voters moving to Labour than vice versa 72 to 64 ,
    Wrong, today's ICM actually has 15% of 2015 Labour voters going Tory and only 11% of 2015 Tory voters going Labour

https://www.icmunlimited.com/polls/
  • Options
    Cyan said:

Scott_P said:
    Tories are scared of Seumas. I've never seen one call him stupid or a cretin. Why can it be? :innocentface:
    Because Tories don't use language like that. It is only the left that think of their political opponents as bad people.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,905
    Just got the final-week leaflet from our (excellent) local Lib Dem candidate. Majors on the NHS; also covers dementia tax and school funding. Not a single mention of Brexit anywhere on it.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,014

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

They are both at 300 on Betfair.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Jonathan said:

Laura Kuenssberg was serving CCHQ as usual when she sneered that the Tories would have to elect a new leader within three days. If Theresa May resigned today, she would be asked to stay on as caretaker.

If May chucked the nuclear button down and said "The hell with you all!" - or if the revelation was so bad that she had no option but to leave immediately in abject disgrace - the monarch might ask David Cameron to be short-term caretaker. Or it could be Philip Hammond.
  • Options

Bolsover?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

If it's a decapitation strategy I'd say Islington South or Hayes and Harlington, the latter having the biggest UKIP vote to eat. Gunning for Thornberry or McDonnell?
  • Options

:open_mouth:

Con gain Bootle?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

They are both at 300 on Betfair.
    Yeah I'm not tipping it, I'm discussing with Jonathan a highly unlikely what if.
  • Options

If you didn't have a prior commitment to Theresa May being right on this, there's no way you'd come up with the idea that 'no amount of police officers could stop a determined attack by anyone'. We've had warnings from people who actually know what they're talking about on exactly this issue:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/london-terror-attack-bridge-borough-latest-firearms-officer-government-wrong-police-cuts-theresa-may-a7772506.html

http://uk.businessinsider.com/theresa-may-warned-by-manchester-police-that-cuts-risked-terror-attack-2017-5?r=UK&IR=T

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/theresa-may-police-cuts-slammed-by-jim-gamble-former-northern-ireland-counter-terror-chief_uk_5934603ee4b02478cb9cb0dd

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-34877031/police-cuts-terror-response-warning-to-theresa-may

No amount of any officers, armed or unarmed, could stop every single attack, it's simply impossible. One determined person could sneak through, no matter what the circumstances.

This is the last dying, desperate effort by the Corbynistas to change the narrative via a clumsy and transparent political stunt.

Corbyn tough on terror.................mmmm, ok.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Pulpstar said:

If Blair could not win Canterbury in 1997 and 2001 there is zilch chance Corbyn will in 2017, yougov may well be the biggest loser on Friday
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@PolhomeEditor: Keir Starmer: The fault lies with the terrorists on this occasion and on every occasion.

An adult speaks.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

My neighboring seat-no way this will happen. Brazier is popular amongst the Oldies and is seen as a good constituency MP (personally i dont like him) the labour candidate is not great.

Brazier will walk this and i would not waste any money on the Lab candidate.
  • Options
    Clown_Car_HQClown_Car_HQ Posts: 169
    Jason said:

AndyJS said:

Massive WTF.

I think it's safe to say that the YouGov model is about as credible as Jeremy Corbyn saying he would be tough on terror.
    Canterbury was blessed by a visit from the bountiful Lady Nugee on Friday, accompanied by throng of faithful Islingtonians.

Perhaps she believes The Labour candidate will fare better than she did in 2001.

Personally, I wouldn't put money on it.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,929

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Rudd seems to be more in favour with TM. Which might suggest she wouldn't get it if TM is discredited?

IMO spreadsheet Phil is still a safe pair of hands and Amber Rudd is awful but who am I to guess the minds of Tory MPs?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,044
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

If Blair could not win Canterbury in 1997 and 2001 there is zilch chance Corbyn will in 2017, yougov may well be the biggest loser on Friday
    I think their reputation will be in tatters.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

FINALLY someone with a red rosette gives the correct response.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193

AndyJS said:

Massive WTF.

I see Amber Rudd is still losing Hastings too....

*titter*
  • Options

Bolsover?
    Nope.

If you're a Tory party member in the South, you've probably received the same email.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,193
    Pulpstar said:

Momentum students gaming the system much?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

FINALLY someone with a red rosette gives the correct response.
    FINALLY someone with any rosette gives the correct response.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,223
    edited June 2017

Bolsover?
    Nope.

If you're a Tory party member in the South, you've probably received the same email.
    EDIT - Hove?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

My neighboring seat-no way this will happen. Brazier is popular amongst the Oldies and is seen as a good constituency MP (personally i dont like him) the labour candidate is not great.

Brazier will walk this and i would not waste any money on the Lab candidate.
    There are also 7,000 UKIP votes from 2015 for the Tories to squeeze.

Brazier held on in 1997 so doubt he will be going this time.
  • Options

Bolsover?
    Nope.

It's Hayes and Harlington isn't It? 37% UKIP and Tory but a masssive 60% for McDonnell.
This discussion has been closed.