Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If you have system like first past the post then don’t get ups

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    OUT said:

Polling, turn-out and the young in a nutshell?

https://twitter.com/bekahgracedowd/status/870973426579763202

Sacrificing your life for Jeremy Corbyn, FFS.
    Seems about 100 people are stuck outside his meeting hall (it's full) chanting some cultish rubbish or other about Jezza.

The cult-like reverence for him is absolutely ridiculous.

Trump like. Are you scared yet?
    Bed(wetting)time already.

Where has the day gone?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:
    Lawyer's note: this print is a souvenir piece of campaign material, it is in no way meant to influence the choices of the electorate, has no monetary value, is for amusement purposes only and is strictly not for re-sale. Terms and conditions to follow, postage not included.
    It's not meant to, but it will. Also photographing ballot papers is also illegal.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

Then when they get a tricky question on the exams......NO FAIRRRRRRRR all over snapchat.

My experience of dealing with undergrads (albeit not for a few years) compared to back in the day. They definitely are more dedicated to study and put in more effort, but are totally fixated on what is on the "syllabus" and believe that it is somehow totally unfair if they get a bad grade if they spent hours revising.
    They're fine, so long as they don't have to think for themselves. Having to think for yourself is definitely unfair. I am glad to be out of that game.
    I thankfully don't deal with undergrads anymore. There is definitely a huge issue with thinking for oneself though. Effort is up, but learning for interest is way down.
    If one is paying for one's education, one expects the exams to reflect what one has been told to study.
    Well, it depends what you have been told to study.

I teach UG chemistry/chemical engineering - there has to be a strong problem solving element present, so I spend a good 5 % of my teaching time telling them that there will be, that past papers are no guide to future ones etc etc

But I still get semi-complaints about "that wasn't in the lecture" and "where were all the derivations".

shrugs.
    I once had a formal complaint filed against me by a first year undergraduate because I only gave him 75% in his assignment.

His complaint was he always gets 100% for everything and his solution worked so he should get 100%. He wouldn't accept that 1) 75% is a first, 2) his solution was sub-optimal and 3) I could show him examples where it would fail and that he hadn't tested it on that.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

Then when they get a tricky question on the exams......NO FAIRRRRRRRR all over snapchat.

My experience of dealing with undergrads (albeit not for a few years) compared to back in the day. They definitely are more dedicated to study and put in more effort, but are totally fixated on what is on the "syllabus" and believe that it is somehow totally unfair if they get a bad grade if they spent hours revising.
    They're fine, so long as they don't have to think for themselves. Having to think for yourself is definitely unfair. I am glad to be out of that game.
    I thankfully don't deal with undergrads anymore. There is definitely a huge issue with thinking for oneself though. Effort is up, but learning for interest is way down.
    If one is paying for one's education, one expects the exams to reflect what one has been told to study.

I teach UG chemistry/chemical engineering - there has to be a strong problem solving element present, so I spend a good 5 % of my teaching time telling them that there will be, that past papers are no guide to future ones etc etc

But I still get semi-complaints about "that wasn't in the lecture" and "where were all the derivations".

shrugs.
    I agree with you. I'm a Mechanical Engineering graduate and my course was the same.

However we had one exam that introduced a string of concepts that we hadn't been introduced to at all. It wasn't simply a case of problem solving. You could argue that we could have taught it ourselves by 'reading around the subject' however (at the time) we were paying £3,000 a year to be TAUGHT the concepts.

The exam results were weighted to the reflect the fact everybody did awfully on that exam.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:
    Lawyer's note: this print is a souvenir piece of campaign material, it is in no way meant to influence the choices of the electorate, has no monetary value, is for amusement purposes only and is strictly not for re-sale. Terms and conditions to follow, postage not included.
    Why wouldn't people just say they'll vote, get the freebie then not?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,257

Some essential reading on a Twitter thread about 18-24 year olds:

https://twitter.com/election_data/status/871029891873067008

But aren't these kids all bunched into a set of constituencies, mainly university towns? The 65+ age group are surely more sprinkled around?
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

shrugs.
    I once had a formal complaint filed against me by a first year undergraduate because I only gave him 75% in his assignment.

His complaint was he always gets 100% for everything and his solution worked so he should get 100%. He wouldn't accept that 1) 75% is a first, 2) his solution was sub-optimal and 3) I could show him examples where it would fail and that he hadn't tested it on that.
    In the same situation, I'd hammer home the point on (3) - his solution manifestly hasn't worked.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873

Sacrificing your life for Jeremy Corbyn, FFS.
    Seems about 100 people are stuck outside his meeting hall (it's full) chanting some cultish rubbish or other about Jezza.

The cult-like reverence for him is absolutely ridiculous.

This is more 'Life of Brian' than a grown-up campaign for high office.
    He may be a very naughty boy but I still think its more likely he is the Messiah

Same initials and neither would press the button
  • Options

shrugs.

In the same situation, I'd hammer home the point on (3) - his solution manifestly hasn't worked.
    Well he would say yeah but you didn't say test it like that....

His complaint got dismissed, but it was the fact I spoke with him, he wouldn't listen, he spoke with the head of the department, he wouldn't listen, he then filed an official complaint.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    isam said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:
    You're required to send a picture of your ballot.
  • Options

shrugs.
    I agree with you. I'm a Mechanical Engineering graduate and my course was the same.

However we had one exam that introduced a string of concepts that we hadn't been introduced to at all. It wasn't simply a case of problem solving. You could argue that we could have taught it ourselves by 'reading around the subject' however (at the time) we were paying £3,000 a year to be TAUGHT the concepts.

The exam results were weighted to the reflect the fact everybody did awfully on that exam.
    That sounds like more like a fuck-up somewhere else - something like a change in teaching personnel at a late stage.

It might also be (and if I'm unkind, sorry in advance) that it relied on something from a previous year/module, applied slightly differently - I have found that students tend to complete a module and forget it in its entirity.

The exams I sat were based on the principle "everything in the previous years is fair game".
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    If your going to blow your personal ratings, mid-way through a general election possibly isn't the best time to do it...

• Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    edited June 2017
    JackW said:

Failing in my duty in reading over 1000 posts on the previous thread, perhaps PBers will take pity on poor JackW as his wallet has today all the numerical confidence of a Diane Abbott economic statement.

Any new polls today and what's the Tory Bedwetting Index?

Edit. Just seen OR poll

Mr Jack W seeing as we've not seen much of your ARSE this GE can you at least give us a peek and let us know your final prediction for the outcome
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    BigIan said:

There's going to be a wave of angst and downright anger from Jezza's crowd following next week's Tory win.

They'll blame it on people voting in pencil instead of pen.
    To be fair using a pen worked in the EU ref... :wink:
  • Options

shrugs.

Well he would say yeah but you didn't say test it like that....

His complaint got dismissed, but it was the fact I spoke with him, he wouldn't listen, he spoke with the head of the department, he wouldn't listen, he then filed an official complaint.
    I know that feeling.

And they have the email address of the deans and higher ranks now. We had someone just ping off an email well up the ladder.

Brilliant.
  • Options
    The Tories have had a GE campaign? Thats news to me.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,480
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

New @OpiniumResearch poll

Con 43 (-2) Lab 37 (+2) LD 6 (-1) UKIP 5 (nc)

Con lead down 13% since May called the GE

Mays's ratings also falling

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jun/03/theresa-may-approval-rating-sinks-as-tory-lead-shrinks-to-six-points

Blimey that came out early! :open_mouth:
    There's medicines you can take that sort out that problem.
    Have you "got plans" to abandon your position again tonight before all polls are released like last week?
    I'm intensely relaxed today and this evening.

I closed out my buys on the Tories for a profit.

Just have open sells on PC and the Lib Dems, I'll keep those open until June 8th.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    @rottenborough Apparently many 18-24s are already in Labour safe seats (I'm the exception to that rule, given I'm in Watford). Some are in university towns, but with many unis closed, some could have registered where their uni is but are voting somewhere else.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

Failing in my duty in reading over 1000 posts on the previous thread, perhaps PBers will take pity on poor JackW as his wallet has today all the numerical confidence of a Diane Abbott economic statement.

So far Opinium, Tory lead down to just 6%

Other polls tonight

ComRes at 6pm,

ICM, ORB, 2 Survation polls, one GB wide, one Scotland only, and a YouGov.
    Thank you.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Some essential reading on a Twitter thread about 18-24 year olds:

https://twitter.com/election_data/status/871029891873067008

But aren't these kids all bunched into a set of constituencies, mainly university towns? The 65+ age group are surely more sprinkled around?
    No - frighteningly there are 18-24 year-olds everywhere. Generally people only spend 3 years at university, and more than half of them don't go to at all. As for university towns, they aren't what they were. There are now 130 universities in the UK.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315
    Chris said:
    The campaign has been dreadful - and today between Fallon and May they have created confusion over tax
  • Options
    I loved the good old days when a Tory PM screwing up a general election campaign was when they forgot which football team supported.
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Speaking of gaming the odious FPTP system, it's a shame we can't start a scheme to move voter registrations from safe seats to marginals. It's technically illegal, but candidates get away with something similar, pretending they live in constituencies when they don't... (Reminds me there's been a small kerfuffle in Beeston regarding Soubry's residential status.)
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    RobD said:

isam said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:
    Verboten, no photography allowed in Polling Stations, there's a big sign saying so.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Banksy tries it on.

http://banksy.co.uk/

Wants a photo that the ballot didn't go to a Tory. What happens if the photo includes the ballot number? Asking for a friend.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Interested to see if any evidence of herding
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    I had the same feeling watching Corbyn last night and reading the reactions on here to how I felt watching Trump in the Republican primaries. His so-called fatal gaffes just won't damage him in the way people expect.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

@rottenborough Apparently many 18-24s are already in Labour safe seats (I'm the exception to that rule, given I'm in Watford). Some are in university towns, but with many unis closed, some could have registered where their uni is but are voting somewhere else.

If they are registered at Uni, I didn't think they could vote anywhere else in a General Election?
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569

Chris said:
    The campaign has been dreadful - and today between Fallon and May they have created confusion over tax
    Nah. It was all Trident, Trident, Trident this morning. At least that's what i read on here last night.
  • Options
    kjohnw said:

JackW said:

Edit. Just seen OR poll

Mr Jack W seeing as we've not seen much of your ARSE this GE can you at least give us a peek and let us know your final prediction for the outcome
    My ARSE has retired to warmer climes ....

JackW Verdict - Con Maj circa 100

• Options
    RobD said:

isam said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:
    Which is illegal. Banksy couldn't participate in an illegal enterprise. So he will never have to give away any.

The man is a genius of self-publicity.....
  • Options

If they are registered at Uni, I didn't think they could vote anywhere else in a General Election?
    Blah....my mind is somewhere else today. Yes, that's what I meant. That they could be registered where their uni is but then try to vote somewhere else.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

kjohnw said:

Scott_P said:
    offering a bribe for a vote is illegal isn't it
    Treating is the word I believe.
    Wasn't treating the plot in an episode of Minder when Arthur stood for the council?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,315

I had the same feeling watching Corbyn last night and reading the reactions on here to how I felt watching Trump in the Republican primaries. His so-called fatal gaffes just won't damage him in the way people expect.

It all depends if it motivates UKIP to vote conservative
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Isn't it still the case that students can register both at university and at home, and can choose where to vote (though in theory they shouldn't vote in both places)?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Dadge said:

Speaking of gaming the odious FPTP system, it's a shame we can't start a scheme to move voter registrations from safe seats to marginals. It's technically illegal, but candidates get away with something similar, pretending they live in constituencies when they don't... (Reminds me there's been a small kerfuffle in Beeston regarding Soubry's residential status.)

There already is such gaming of the system . It is called holiday homes .
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Chris said:
    It is hard to understand you would think the cabinet would easily sing of the same hymn sheet over income tax.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

The problem with Corbyn as Trump or Brexit, is that Trump and Brexit won by attracting older, patriotic voters, and Corbyn is revolting to older or patriotic voters.
  • Options

RobD said:

isam said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:
    Which is illegal. Banksy couldn't participate in an illegal enterprise. So he will never have to give away any.

It seems it's not illegal to publish a "selfie" of your own ballot paper in the UK, though it's discouraged.
  • Options

RobD said:

isam said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

I remember him doing a fake bank notes PR stunt.
  • Options
    Putting Jezza front and centre in the Tory campaign has just made him more popular. That was one of many Tory mistakes. They should have ignored him (as they did Farron and Nuttall).

He is going to peak at the perfect time. Minority government, here we come...
  • Options
    maaarsh said:

The problem with Corbyn as Trump or Brexit, is that Trump and Brexit won by attracting older, patriotic voters, and Corbyn is revolting to older or patriotic voters.
    Good point.
  • Options
    GarzaGarza Posts: 45

Scott_P said:
    Is that not breaking the law? You are giving inducements to win votes.
    Bread! Bread and circuses for the plebs!
  • Options
    What news of JohnO's adventures in Sutton yesterday. Has he returned safely to Hersham via Caithness?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    maaarsh said:

Hating the Queen, not singing the anthem, supporting the IRA and not defending the country militarily is the new Patriotism
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    maaarsh said:

He is like the inverted Trump....it is energizing the young metro inhabitants. The similarity is that to them he can do no wrong, nothing. They are normally ultra sensitive to any suggest of homophobia, but his links to Iran and extremist Islamist organizations who aren't exactly gay friendly not a problem.

I have seen quite a few FB posts painting May as a massive homophobe and of course Corbyn as whiter than white.
  • Options
    @foxinsoxuk Interesting that you aren't sticking with Con maj 76.
  • Options
    JackW said:

What news of JohnO's adventures in Sutton yesterday. Has he returned safely to Hersham via Caithness?

He wrote this morning

What to make of my 90 minute foray into Kingston and Surbiton on a balmy Thursday evening? Norra lot to be honest. Loads of folk out (school hols? still at work? But twas ever thus) and we were only calling on supposedly target/uncertain voter in a (marginal?) LibDem ward. Certainly found a number of apparent 2015 Cons moving to the LibDems but also previously uncertain/uncommitted going blue. Other members of our group had more positive encounters.

The 'resident' team felt reasonably sanguine but with caution.

I'll probably be going back on Monday.

If forced to predict (but bloody stupid to do so on such a small sample), I guess I would plump for narrow Tory hold.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963

At University one is expected to think for oneself and do what was always known as 'reading around the subject'. One should not expect to be spoon fed. University is supposed to teach independent learning and critical thought not just regurgitation of what has been taught to you.
    Are you from the 19th century?
    No, the 20th, at least that is when I did my degree.

You know back when a degree actually meant something and was valued unlike today when they are an excuse to keep people off the unemployment register for an extra 3 years.

If you think a university education is just to spoon feed kids so they can pass exams then you clearly have no idea.
  • Options

maaarsh said:

He is like the inverted Trump....it is energizing the young metro inhabitants. The similarity is that to them he can do no wrong, nothing. They are normally ultra sensitive to any suggest of homophobia, but his links to Iran and extremist Islamist organizations who aren't exactly gay friendly not a problem.
    There are way more older voters than younger ones, that's the problem. According to that Election Data account, we're looking at 2.8m young voters (realistically the most that will turn out according to them) v 7.5 older voters.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

maaarsh said:

It's not the principle that matters, it's who says it
  • Options

JackW said:

He wrote this morning

What to make of my 90 minute foray into Kingston and Surbiton on a balmy Thursday evening? Norra lot to be honest. Loads of folk out (school hols? still at work? But twas ever thus) and we were only calling on supposedly target/uncertain voter in a (marginal?) LibDem ward. Certainly found a number of apparent 2015 Cons moving to the LibDems but also previously uncertain/uncommitted going blue. Other members of our group had more positive encounters.

If forced to predict (but bloody stupid to do so on such a small sample), I guess I would plump for narrow Tory hold.
    Many thanks ...
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994

Dadge said:

And overseas voters who can choose in which constituency to vote. You need some tenuous connection but I doubt it is checked. Richmond Park has hundreds of "other voters" without a UK address.
  • Options

JackW said:

He wrote this morning

So shades of Corbyn , Conservatives relying on previous non voters for them to hold this seat .
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755

RobD said:

isam said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

They
  • Options
    I am going to be fascinated to hear what Crosby and Messina have been up to for the past month.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I am sticking to 76 for the moment, I expect swingback.

Just teasing the PB Tories.

I think that we are seeing tactical voting to a large degree, and in most parts of the country that means LD to Lab, and I hope that the reverse occurs in LD target seats.

I also think that the SNP car crash of a campaign has been underestimated. Ruthie has detached SCon from the May campaign very neatly, and I think low 40's for SNP.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Monkeys said:

RobD said:

isam said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

They
    That seems to be the latest theory I believe....
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    maaarsh said:

Corbyn is no Trump. He is only attracting Vegan student sandal wearing young'uns and Trotskyites and nonvoters plus die hard loyal labourites and disaffected limpdems and greens . the old are voting tory and in the marginals the WWC are voting for the Brexit Patriotic PM not the IRA supporting Commie who won't take us out of the EU . This election is over . TM hasn't been great but against Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott ,the three stooges . she doesn't need to be . just a shame she could have destroyed him if the manifesto was better thought out . oh well, i'll take a majority now if it keeps Corbyn from number ten
  • Options
    Who thinks one of tonight's polls will have Labour in the lead? ;)
  • Options

JackW said:

He wrote this morning

So shades of Corbyn , Conservatives relying on previous non voters for them to hold this seat .
    I don't think that's what JohnO was saying

Previously uncommitted doesn't mean 2015 non voter.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    GIN1138 said:

• Options
    Barnesian said:

Dadge said:

And overseas voters who can choose in which constituency to vote. You need some tenuous connection but I doubt it is checked. Richmond Park has hundreds of "other voters" without a UK address.
    Yes what would be dubious but possibly legal behaviour would be 1,000 people clubbing together buying a property in Constituency A and registering to vote there as a property holder and/ or part time resident .
  • Options

I am going to be fascinated to hear what Crosby and Messina have been up to for the past month.

The fact that Crosby has been quoted off the record to the media a few weeks ago tells you that he's not happy how things are going.

He never briefed against Dave. If you read the 2015 book by Tim Ross, you can tell Cameron and his team listened to what Crosby said and then did it.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,081

I think that we are seeing tactical voting to a large degree, and in most parts of the country that means LD to Lab, and I hope that the reverse occurs in LD target seats.

I also think that the SNP car crash of a campaign has been underestimated. Ruthie has detached SCon from the May campaign very neatly, and I think low 40's for SNP.
    As a Lib Dem member, I'm concerned that we are positioning ourselves too close to Corbyn's Labour in this election. I don't think we should be a 'left wing' alternative, we should be a Liberal alternative.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Dan Hodges on Twitter showing he doesn't know what Poll herding is.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,703
    Barnesian said:

Dadge said:

And overseas voters who can choose in which constituency to vote.
    Isn't your vote in the last constituency you were registered to vote in as a UK resident?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,463
    GIN1138 said:

Hostage to fortune, but I don't think so*. I think we'll see herding around the 6% lead mark.

*if any, it'll be Yougov, which is a law unto itself.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,023

Corbyn is Sanders not Trump, he has secured his leadership by preventing a Tory landslide so ironically while he will still probably lose his better than expected campaign means Labour moderates won't be able to get rid of him and he will likely lead Labour through to 2022 too
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Only YouGov would need a sub MOE swing from Con to Labour for Labour to be ahead.

Survation and ORB would need just slightly over MOE swing for Labour to be ahead.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

The fact that Crosby has been quoted off the record to the media a few weeks ago tells you that he's not happy how things are going.

He never briefed against Dave. If you read the 2015 book by Tim Ross, you can tell Cameron and his team listened to what Crosby said and then did it.
    The thing that is confusing to me is that is is all silent since then. Not just from Crosby, but really the Tories. They haven't run a campaign, they have run a "let Jezza spout whatever he wants and we won't attack it".
  • Options

As a Lib Dem member, I'm concerned that we are positioning ourselves too close to Corbyn's Labour in this election. I don't think we should be a 'left wing' alternative, we should be a Liberal alternative.
    I feel a bit sorry for Farron. I'm surprised that the anti-Brexit message has gone down like a bucket of cold sick.

I can only think that the younger vote, flocking to Labour over the free goodies and tuition fees, still don't trust the Lib Dems after the coalition.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Hostage to fortune, but I don't think so*. I think we'll see herding around the 6% lead mark.

Anything better than 7% in any will be a bonus...
  • Options
    edited June 2017

I feel a bit sorry for Farron. I'm surprised that the anti-Brexit message has gone down like a bucket of cold sick.

I can only think that the younger vote, flocking to Labour over the free goodies and tuition fees, still don't trust the Lib Dems after the coalition.
    Putting aside his gay sinner issues...the thing is the Lib Dems have probably got the most sensible policies with the likes of 1% on tax for NHS and social care. It is neither magic money forest or confusion over losing your house.
  • Options

The thing that is confusing to me is that is is all silent since then. Not just from Crosby, but really the Tories. They haven't run a campaign, they have run a "let Jezza spout whatever he wants and we won't attack it".
    What makes this campaign by Mrs May so bad is that she had the advantage in calling the snap election, you would have thought the manifesto had been focused group/message tested.

Whilst Labour and all the other parties would have struggled.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    HYUFD said:

Corbyn is Sanders not Trump, he has secured his leadership by preventing a Tory landslide so ironically while he will still probably lose his better than expected campaign means Labour moderates won't be able to get rid of him and he will likely lead Labour through to 2022 too
    I hate the comparison with Sanders...Sanders isn't a terrorist sympathizer who has built a team of marxists, anti-semites and holocaust deniers.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289

Barnesian said:

Dadge said:

Isn't your vote in the last constituency you were registered to vote in as a UK resident?
    Indeed, you can't just pick one out!
  • Options

What makes this campaign by Mrs May so bad is that she had the advantage in calling the snap election, you would have thought the manifesto had been focused group/message tested.

I guess the tactic has been to let JC show himself up to be generally crap.

Unfortunately, he's shown hes a bit of a cunning old codger who has actually played his time in the spotlight fairly well.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I hate the comparison with Sanders...but Sanders isn't a terrorist sympathizer who has built a team of marxists, anti-semites and holocaust deniers.
    Sanders ran on the same anti corporation, anti rich platform as Corbyn and while not as pacificist as Corbyn was vocally anti the Iraq War, no surprise Sanders endorsed Corbyn today
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994
    edited June 2017

Barnesian said:

Dadge said:

You have to declare your last address in the UK. You don't have to have been registered there. You can make it up. A friend of a friend that you stayed with before you left the UK.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

This is what is just weird about the whole thing. Other than the social care stuff, which they quickly rowed back on, they haven't changed tack or attacked Labour properly at all. There hasn't really been a campaign at all.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good evening, my fellow poll-twitchers.

Have we caught sight of the lesser-spotted increasing Con lead?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited June 2017
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Maybe she really did just decide to have the election while up a mountain in Wales the weekend before she announced it and honestly hadn't done any preparation?

• Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    I don't follow why Tory supporters are fretting. The latest OR poll with a 6% Tory lead (same as in GE 2015) and Con 43%/Lab 37% extrapolates to approximately a 50 seat Tory majority and no increase in Lab seat numbers. Corbyn would survive, at last for a while, but it would be the end for UKIP and the LDs.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

Think that went the way of the Dodo.
  • Options

This is what is just weird about the whole thing. Other than the social care stuff, which they quickly rowed back on, they haven't changed tack or attacked Labour properly at all. There hasn't really been a campaign at all.
    Here's a theory.

Sir Lynton's crap, cf the 2005 general election campaign and Zac Goldsmith's Mayoral campaign.

Winning the 2015 GE was down purely to Dave and George.
  • Options

I agree, but I think that centering the campaign on s second referendum with an option to Remain was a mistake. Voters don't like unnecessary elections, as we see with this GE.

It should have been a campaign for EEA Soft Brexit, but mostly should have been concentrating on other areas of austerity, but tinged with a bit more financial sanity.

I am an Orange Booker LD member, but the Tories deserve for LDs to kick them in the knackers for targetting us in 2015. Jezza cannot gain the 100 seats he needs for a majority, so it is a free hit.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Maybe she really did just decide to have the election while up a mountain in Wales the weekend before the announced it and honestly hadn't done any preparation?

Then she's even crapper than I thought she was.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,703

GIN1138 said:

Who in a few days time will be the polling geniuses of GE2017 or WhoGov - never heard of them.....

Talking of MOE:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/content/dam/news/2017/06/03/0406-MATT-GALLERY-WEB-P1-large_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.png
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,124

a terrorist sympathizer who has built a team of marxists, anti-semites and holocaust deniers.

If you accept Steve 'destroy the state' Bannon's self description of Leninist, that wouldn't be too far off Team Trump.

Who won.
  • Options

Think that went the way of the Dodo.
    More like the Passenger Pigeon, once abundant, then extinct.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

May's refusal not to raise any tax, social care reforms, means testing of winter fuel tax will certainly not have won her many votes and probably lost her a few but if she wins a majority she will have far more room for manoeuvre in government and as they are manifesto commitments the Lords cannot block them. Cameron had a far more electorally appealing manifesto but he never expected to win a majority and gave to implement it all, indeed he never expected to have to implement the EU referendum commitment as he expected the coalition to continue, had it done so he would probably still be PM today
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873

GIN1138 said:

Anything better than 7% in any will be a bonus...
    I see what you did there.

ICM and COMRES should be
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I hate the comparison with Sanders...but Sanders isn't a terrorist sympathizer who has built a team of marxists, anti-semites and holocaust deniers.
    Sanders ran on the same anti corporation, anti rich platform as Corbyn and while not as pacificist as Corbyn was vocally anti the Iraq War, no surprise Sanders endorsed Corbyn today
    That is a fair point, and he promised students a load of freebies. My issue is that I see Sanders as a decent man. The Clinton machine found literally no dirt on him. I can't say the same about Corbyn.
  • Options

The anti-Brexit message might still get St. Vince back in Westminster, even if it is at the expense of getting any of the seats back in the SW.

Although getting the scheming old bugger back might be the last thing the Leader wants....
  • Options

Here's a theory.

Sir Lynton's crap, cf the 2005 general election campaign and Zac Goldsmith's Mayoral campaign.

Winning the 2015 GE was down purely to Dave and George.
    What about Boris 2008 and 2012?
This discussion has been closed.