Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » If you have system like first past the post then don’t get ups

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    It is not just that the various polls are at such odds with one another it is that they are moving in opposite directions some showing the gap narrowing significantly and others showing it widening.
    I don't think that there is going to be anything like a consensus between now and polling day so best bet is to look at the raw figures and make your own adjustments (or none at all)
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

Enjoying the popcorn everyone?

I am working very hard this week. Including conference and Black Tie dinner Friday up at the Crieff Hydro. Where I intend to get blootered celebrating the "shock" Labour win

The Survation poll is saying 72% of their sample watched the QT debate. 72% of this country/electorate did not watch the debate. We know this because of the viewing figures it got.

Calm down.
    I am calm. The Tories will probably win because no poll lead that big has ever been overturned that quickly. It almost certainly won't happen. But that it could happen, and that the Labour surge is either sweeping you away or a phantom is shitting you and PB Tories up and it's funny.

This should have been a coronation. May was so strong. Jeremy shot British soldiers in Ireland or something. A landslide if there ever was to be one. That pants are being trollied shows how much of an epic fail this Tory campaign has been.
    You went from 'shock Labour win' to 'Tories will probably win' in minutes. Okay....

May isn't strong. Her and Corbyn are probably the worse people in recent British political history to contest a GE as candidates for PM.

I'm glad you find it funny. I don't find it funny that the country faces a choice between Mrs Incompetant and Mr Incompetant.

I do find the polls being rather ridiculous funny though.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    BTW, is ANYBODY going to watch Timmy and Jimmy tomorrow evening?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    glw said:

The 72% is seen or heard something about the debate. NOT 72% watched it

Well that makes more sense, but even 72% hearing about it sounds high to me.
    10% of the country prob don't even know there's an election on
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    These polls are probably the best of all worlds for the Tories. Enough of them reassuring that there is a chance of a comfortable Tory majority, but a few "maybe just maybe" polls to ensure no complacency and the voters turn out.

O/T does anyone think there's any validity in thinking that close polls are also good because they might scare "moderate" anti-Corbyn Labour voters as well. Some murmurings about this from some Labour MPs i think.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    Survation got the 2015 election almost spot on but they didn't publish their final poll because it used a different methodology and looked wrong.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    (via ORB / 31 May - 01 Jun)

OLD NEWS

Last night was a gamechanger!!!!!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Saltire said:

Alistair said:

So Sturgeon was visiting Ayrshire constituencies. I may regret not placing those long odd bets after all.

She was also in Biggar today which is in DCT...
    Yeah, the Biggar trip has thrown me for a loop but the fact is that DCT is such a grab bag disparate area that the Biggar trip might have actually been about neighbouring constituencies.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,250
    We'd all be happier with a nice cuddly father figure dictator. Then the only question would be if the government would get re-elected with 99.5% or 99.8%
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

surbiton said:

These pollsters don't know shit anymore LOL. +6, +12, +1 leads for the Conservatives.

Weren't Survation the people telling us that 82% of 18-24-year-olds say that are certain to vote, when only 66% of us are registered (that we know of?)

82% of the 66%.
    Didn't see Survation issue that caveat....
    Well Surbiton is right ofcourse, it follows in terms of logic.

But ICM had a poll that said 91% of 18-24 said they were registered when in fact only 66% were in 2015. Compared to 96% of over 65's who officially are registered. Basically the young way overestmate the how many are actually registered compared to oldies which is a much smaller gap.
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

Survation got the 2015 election almost spot on but they didn't publish their final poll because it used a different methodology and looked wrong.

Think that was the EUref.
  • Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 421
    This is a genuine question.

Ahead of the expected polling egg on more than a few pollsters faces in 6 days time, does it really matter to their long term credibility and businesses? I mean, there's a lot of conspiracy theories about the Times-reporting YouGov poll (i.e. Murdoch wanted something to scare the Tories with) but common sense would seem to suggest that pollsters *do* care about their reputation, so wouldn't road test dodgy methodologies until they got something that fit the Labour bounce that the right-wing press needed to shore up the Tory support following the manifesto grumbles.

Being a cock-up rather than conspiracy kind of a guy, I'm left thinking that some of the polling companies really do road-test 'experimental' methodologies, because there are usually a whole load of caveats, and in any case by the time of the next election we'll all have forgotten the inaccuracies (and in the meantime, the more eye-catching pollsters will have plenty of business from increase brand recognition).

Does anyone thing pollsters are immune to this sort of thing? And would you agree that, for a bit of short-term stick from the twitterati, none of this really damages reputations much in the long-term.

I appreciate this leaves one with a very jaundiced view of polling as a profession, but their actions do have consequences, and I'd love to know a straw poll (no pun intended) amongst PB 'users'. Genuinely think. Thanks for any opinions.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    DanSmith said:

That was a telephone poll, this is online.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    tlg86 said:

Correction from Faisal:

sorry correction 72% "had seen or heard something about the debate". my fault

That's a huge correction.
  • Options
    wills66wills66 Posts: 103
    Barnesian said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

C'mon ICM, we need another calming Tory lead, say, 9 points?

Their numbers are "intriguing".. whatever that means.
    I think the last ICM had a Con lead of 14%. I suspect intriguing means a maintained high lead of say 12% against expectations.
    Or the "intriguing" possibility of Corbin becoming PM.

WillS
  • Options
    TravelJunkieTravelJunkie Posts: 431

Spare a thought for the poor sod who has two write the Sunday morning thread.

He likes to write said thread between 9pm and 11pm on Saturday nights

Remember comres assumes youth turnout is same as 2015 43% for Tory lead of 12.

I don't believe youth turnout will be the same as 2015.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

DanSmith said:

No it was the last election.

http://survation.com/snatching-defeat-from-the-jaws-of-victory/
  • Options

DanSmith said:

no, both.
  • Options

RobD said:

Still, that's an awfully large figure.
    It was on all the media I encountered over the last couple of days.
    Maybe Radio 3 listeners were given a let off.
    Er, it only happened last night!
  • Options
    Whilst I live in hope that last night’s debate may help burst the Corbyn bubble, I am bewildered at the total lack of questioning by the media of the credentials to govern of three long-term, serially rebellious, career politician backbenchers with no ministerial or shadow ministerial experience between them prior to Corbyn’s appointment. How can these people possibly be entrusted with running the country? What experience can they draw on? Do they have the remotest inkling of how government really works? Nor has there been anything approaching a forensic examination of their magic money tree manifesto. Lacklustre does not even begin to describe the Conservative campaign, but I find it inconceivable that 35% - 40% of the electorate can truly want this toxic trio at the helm.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

DanSmith said:

No, it was the 2015 election.
  • Options
    The_MuleThe_Mule Posts: 9
    'Aware of the debate'..

Is that aware of the QT on Friday or the debate earlier in the week? Or the other debates? Or anything else?

So the scores on the doors of 'who won?' are made up of people who didn't actually watch the debate but heard something was on and made a guess.

If only Hari Seldon had had a similar grasp of mathematics then I would have controlled the galaxy!

Magnifico Giganticus
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Who owns Survation? This poll is so bad that one wonders if its purpose is to persuade Mail on Sunday readers to go to the polling station.
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

They probably had 4 "final polls".
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481

NEW THREAD

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,725
    Survation suggests nuclear weapons haven't damaged Corbyn. Equal numbers approve and disapprove of his approach.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,129
    Scott_P said:

BTW, is ANYBODY going to watch Timmy and Jimmy tomorrow evening?

You.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    We need two concurrent threads to split the polls accordingly.. One for pb Tory bed wetters re survation and pampers pundits, the other for pb Tory complacents like me....for comres and orb.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Thread - Polls All Over Shop - Discuss
  • Options
    ab195ab195 Posts: 477
    I guess one danger for Labour is that "grown up" LibDems see a lead of one, panic, and vote Tory; but the underlying position is actually a lead of 10. The accidental landslide.
  • Options
    TravelJunkieTravelJunkie Posts: 431
    Orb are in holborn. This is where all the Tories turn up to call voters. I had staff walkout of the company because they do racist push polling.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    The_Mule said:

So the scores on the doors of 'who won?' are made up of people who didn't actually watch the debate but heard something was on and made a guess.

Fair enough in a way, I suppose, because that's how most of the electorate are influenced by these events - indirectly rather than directly.
  • Options
    wills66 said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

I think the last ICM had a Con lead of 14%. I suspect intriguing means a maintained high lead of say 12% against expectations.

WillS
    Last ICM was 12 and assumes young people are liar liars
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    So we have had 1,6,9,12

A 3 and a 15 would be nice...
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

DanSmith said:

IIRC there was a poll which showed the Leave lead exactly as it was in the results but the pollster didn't publish it, could have sworn it was Survation but ah well.
  • Options
    The_MuleThe_Mule Posts: 9
    DavidL said:

The_Mule said:

Faisal Islam‏Verified account
    @faisalislam
    Following
    More
    Same poll says Corbyn "won" the QT debate - ie among the 72% who watched, 36% said it made them more likely to vote Labour, 24% less (+12)

72% of the Survation poll watched QT...

What was it some people on here have been saying about polls polling only the politically engaged?

Magnifico Giganticus

Asimov/Foundation fan? If so an even warmer welcome.
    Thank you, however gratitude is best and most effective when it does not evaporate in empty phrases. But alas, good sir, I am but a mass of empty phrases, it would seem.
  • Options
    ab195 said:

I guess one danger for Labour is that "grown up" LibDems see a lead of one, panic, and vote Tory; but the underlying position is actually a lead of 10. The accidental landslide.

Thats KLE4 and I suspect Pulpstar for you
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191

Orb are in holborn. This is where all the Tories turn up to call voters. I had staff walkout of the company because they do racist push polling.

This is some wonderful posting. Keep it up, the swing voters will come your way.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Racist Push Polling.

"On a scale of 1 to 10 how much whiter than white does Daz get your KKK robes?"
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

So we have had 1,6,9,12

A 3 and a 15 would be nice...

LOL
  • Options

Remember comres assumes youth turnout is same as 2015 43% for Tory lead of 12.

I don't believe youth turnout will be the same as 2015.
    Fewer than 50% of young people go to university. It's easy to forget about how the other 50+% might think.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    kjohnw said:

DavidL said:

kjohnw said:

is it worth me getting my €'s for my holiday now or after June 8th?

Not that is a seriously good question. Off to Portugal first week in July.
    just how much will the pound tank if we get a shock Corbyn win?
    It is good for our exporters, or so the Brexiteers say...
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651

Here you go:

It's the Final Countdown.
    (picture of Corbyn). Call me, Maybe?
    Please, please tell me now.

• Options
    wills66 said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

SeanT said:

WillS
    That's not intriguing it's mind boggiling.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Britain Elects‏ @britainelects 19s19 seconds ago
    More
    Westminster voting intention:

CON: 40% (-6)
    LAB: 39% (+5)
    LDEM: 8% (-)
    UKIP: 5% (+2)

(via @Survation / 03 Jun)

OMG

Cui bono?

Mail on Sunday scares Tory leaning readers into voting on Thursday...
  • Options

DanSmith said:

DanSmith said:

IIRC there was a poll which showed the Leave lead exactly as it was in the results but the pollster didn't publish it, could have sworn it was Survation but ah well.
    yes u are right Survation did both what Dan is qouting above and a poll for UKIP that showed it 52-48 for LEAVE on the night of the poll. They are a good pollster normally, but not if they are doing a poll over one saturday like this one. That is just silly.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    glw said:

Well that makes more sense, but even 72% hearing about it sounds high to me.
    Maybe not if they did it very quickly. People forget very quickly if they aren't really engaged & interested.
This discussion has been closed.