Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the day of the C4/Sky News May/Corbyn event the Mail’s Quen

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited May 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the day of the C4/Sky News May/Corbyn event the Mail’s Quentin Letts tells TMay she’s a “glum bucket”

The expression on TMay's face after Quentin Letts of the Daily Mail calls her a #glumbucket pic.twitter.com/2UTqLJt9C0

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited May 2017
    Well she is.

Oh and first.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Second like Reading.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Bit hard on glumbuckets.
  • Options
    Here's the video footage of her being called a glum bucket.

Disappointing to see the Mayites go all Corbynista on a journalist asking a fair question

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/869219323008757761
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Glumbucket? Really?

Is that a thing?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    Serious times call for serious people... And all that guff! ;)
  • Options
    Theresa May is the British Hillary.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    Surely the correct response would have been to roar with laughter?
  • Options
    May could do with a joke writer and/or chuckles consultant.

She's about as joyless as Corbyn, and that's saying something.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    GeoffM said:

Glumbucket? Really?

Is that a thing?

It is now.

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    Chris said:

Surely the correct response would have been to roar with laughter?

Precisely. She hasn't got any 'retail', door-step, press-facing skills at all. None. Zilch. Brown was worth an Oscar compared to May's skills on this front.

I bet Boris is sat in his den tonight thinking why the hell did I pull out of the leadership contest.
  • Options
    "We are not amused."
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    Jonathan said:

Bit hard on glumbuckets.

LOL
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Indeed. And the whole Tory campaign is beginning to smell a lot like the Dem attempt at the Whitehouse. Campaigning in wards/seats that are way beyond their normal bounds. Sense of entitlement. Planning new cabinets and policies that are 'difficult to sell' before the vote. Trying not to meet any press. Relying totally on data scientists who are crunching Facebook like numbers. The list goes on.

Meanwhile, an out-and-out loser goes all over the place, with no plan, spouting all sorts of nonsense and uncosted stuff that no pro would go near.
  • Options

I bet Boris is sat in his den tonight thinking why the hell did I pull out of the leadership contest.

I think there's a happy medium between the two, much as there is between a clown and an undertaker.

• Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    But perhaps voters want a glumbucket.

They've had plenty of BlairyMilliCleggyCammy style over substance types and shown their antipathy to them.

Things go in cycles - Major was derided in 1992 for his suburban greyness but received more votes than anyone before or since. By 1997 voters wanted a change.

Anyway have fun watching - I can't bear the thought of having to do so.

• Options
    BoJo on good form on Sky News.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Glumbucket? Really?

Is that a thing?

No, but it has just become word of the year in OED I predict!!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Other than Theresa May I am not entirely sure what a glumbucket is. But Quentin is correct that she is wearing her serious face too much. Cameron had the wit and humour to lighten things up a bit. She doesn't.

She needs a positive vision of what kind of UK she wants. Why is she doing this? Surely not just because she is a better manager than the alternative.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    "Every vote for me and my candidates..."

Le Partie c'est moi!
  • Options

I think there's a happy medium between the two, much as there is between a clown and an undertaker.

as long as it is not Leadsom.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Ok, so he is not in his den.
  • Options

Well she is.

Oh and first.

Whats your doorstep feedback on VI this time?

GlumBucket is much better feedback for TM than on the average Chesterfield doorstep BTW
  • Options
    Chris said:

"We are not amused."

How long before "let them eat cake"?
  • Options

Well she is.

Oh and first.

GlumBucket is much better feedback for TM than on the average Chesterfield doorstep BTW
    I've not been campaigning this time.

Hope to do a lot of campaigning in Don Valley this week.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    It may seem an obvious point, but if May is losing voters over the course of the campaign then it is likely that she is losing voters who would never have countenanced voting for most of the other leading Conservatives. Cameron got 37% of the vote. Doubt Boris could have even got that. Leaving aside we would have had a car crash of a PMship for the last 10 monts.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

tlg86 said:

Ok, so he is not in his den.
    I can see him, Gove and some others getting an airing from now on.
  • Options

Well she is.

Oh and first.

Shouldn't you be helping the Tories in winnable seats?
  • Options

May could do with a joke writer and/or chuckles consultant.

She's about as joyless as Corbyn, and that's saying something.

Corbyn can be quite witty, and has a little twinkle in his eye when talking to a crowd. He no longer harangues people, but rather demonstrates a very British civility. I recall watching him at the Labour hustings. He knows how to work an audience. One on one with a journalist less so.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Scott_P said:
    The Tories really need Boris out more. He reaches parts of the electorate that May can't get near.

There is a large part of the British electorate which recognises life is just a joke. And Boris tells it rather well.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    alex. said:

It may seem an obvious point, but if May is losing voters over the course of the campaign then it is likely that she is losing voters who would never have countenanced voting for most of the other leading Conservatives. Cameron got 37% of the vote. Doubt Boris could have even got that. Leaving aside we would have had a car crash of a PMship for the last 10 monts.

Tories are up one compared to their position before the election was called.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822

Things go in cycles - Major was derided in 1992 for his suburban greyness but received more votes than anyone before or since. By 1997 voters wanted a change.

Mrs Thatcher wasn't exactly the life and sole of the party... Although she did start getting unintentionally funny towards the end when she started getting dotty and began talking about herself in the third person...

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    FPT - In 2015 I was convinced that the Tories would win and probably with an overall majority (though confess to a momentary doubt after the poll herding on Election Day itself!) and posted here regularly to that effect. Still confident about 100 seat plus margin on June 8th but Mrs May must up her game: how she and Corbyn do tonight could indeed affect the electoral narrative.
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn signed a motion that condemned IRA violence in 1994

Perhaps he should mention that in his Paxo interview tonight rather than squirming. Outright comdemnation for IRA violence is the only thing to stop the majority of the interview being on that subject.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Mrs Thatcher wasn't exactly the life and sole of the party... Although she did start getting unintentionally funny towards the end when she started getting dotty and began talking about herself in the third person...

Good old Maggie. :D
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

"We have become a glum-bucket ..." :-)
  • Options

Perhaps he should mention that in his Paxo interview tonight rather than squirming. Outright comdemnation for IRA violence is the only thing to stop the majority of the interview being on that subject.

Ah, that makes up for all his previous actions? :p
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Disappointing to see the Mayites go all Corbynista on a journalist asking a fair question

Cameron had a sense of humour, BoJo still does, look where it got them (and us). Maggie otoh didn't. Listen to her doing the "You turn if you want to" gag; she sounds like someone reading a phonetic transcript in a language of which they do not know a single word.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    I just had the misfortune of seeing The May Party's broadcast on BBC. It appeared to be targeting 5 year olds.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Well she is.

Oh and first.

Shouldn't you be helping the Tories in winnable seats?
    Bolsover
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

But perhaps voters want a glumbucket.

They've had plenty of BlairyMilliCleggyCammy style over substance types and shown their antipathy to them.

Anyway have fun watching - I can't bear the thought of having to do so.

Problem is that May gives no impression of having any substance either. She just is.

• Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

I just had the misfortune of seeing The May Party's broadcast on BBC. It appeared to be targeting 5 year olds.

Well, she is trying to win over Labour voters.
  • Options
    The Good Lord will be giving his Papal address in a few moments on BBC 1.
  • Options
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

Good old Maggie. :D
    Maggie was Competent

TM not so much
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214
    Hello all.

A week ago children were blown to bits during a night out. May has spent time this last week being briefed by the security services about threats of similar attacks, threats that necessitated a temporary change in rating.

Anyone would be a "glum bucket" after such a week.

I am not a May fan. But, really, a sense of perspective is needed.
  • Options

Do you have a source or link for that?
  • Options

Well, she is trying to win over Labour voters.
    No, she was just wittering on about Brexit.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028

Jonathan said:

Indeed. And the whole Tory campaign is beginning to smell a lot like the Dem attempt at the Whitehouse. Campaigning in wards/seats that are way beyond their normal bounds. Sense of entitlement. Planning new cabinets and policies that are 'difficult to sell' before the vote. Trying not to meet any press. Relying totally on data scientists who are crunching Facebook like numbers. The list goes on.

Meanwhile, an out-and-out loser goes all over the place, with no plan, spouting all sorts of nonsense and uncosted stuff that no pro would go near.
    The Tory campaign is actually relentlessly focused on Labour marginals they need to win and seats they need to hold from the LDs and that also dictates May's schedule, Corbyn's most recent visits have included Hull and Hackney, while Tory marginals he has visited include Harlow and Warwick and Leamington which Labour will almost certainly not win
  • Options
    JohnO said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-labour-party-ira-violence-1994-general-election-a7761801.html
  • Options
    JohnO said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/jeremy-corbyn-labour-party-ira-violence-1994-general-election-a7761801.html
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    JohnO said:

FPT - In 2015 I was convinced that the Tories would win and probably with an overall majority (though confess to a momentary doubt after the poll herding on Election Day itself!) and posted here regularly to that effect. Still confident about 100 seat plus margin on June 8th but Mrs May must up her game: how she and Corbyn do tonight could indeed affect the electoral narrative.

But in your confidence this time based on what you are finding or the doorstep, or your instinct about how the electorate will ultimately respond to Corbyn in the privacy of the election booth?

I think the big problem could be the BBC "leaders debate" where she's sending a replacement. Better to just boycott the thing if you don't like the idea. Might just about be helped by Sturgeon not taking part, but Rudd will be on a hiding to nothing. And Labour (as long as they don't send Abbott) can just say that Corbyn would have turned up if May had.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

JohnO said:

Oh, during the ceasefire. That explains a lot.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Cameron had a sense of humour, BoJo still does, look where it got them (and us). Maggie otoh didn't. Listen to her doing the "You turn if you want to" gag; she sounds like someone reading a phonetic transcript in a language of which they do not know a single word.
    We are going into extremely tough negotiations with the EU straight after this election is over, we do not need a comedian, we need someone extremely dry and serious
  • Options

JohnO said:

Thank you and TSE.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

https://twitter.com/h_l_thompson/status/869243614869827584
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

The Tory campaign is actually relentlessly focused on Labour marginals they need to win and seats they need to hold from the LDs and that also dictates May's schedule, Corbyn's most recent visits have included Hull and Hackney, while Tory marginals he has visited include Harlow and Warwick and Leamington which Labour will almost certainly not win
    As I say, going all over the place with no plan.

I am being flippant, but, really, this is beginning to look an "interesting" election compared to the gentle stroll to a 100+ seat majority for May we were expecting.
  • Options
    Barry Gardiner absolutely trounced Karen Bradley on #C4News, she is obviously as dim as her friend May, 6.8 pence for a bloody breakfast
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

We are going into extremely tough negotiations with the EU straight after this election is over, we do not need a comedian, we need someone extremely dry and serious
    Personally, I have always viewed having a sense of humour as a sign of a certain level of intelligence.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214

JohnO said:

In 1994 when the IRA finally called a truce.

How very impressive of him. Condemning bombing when the bombing has stopped.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

I once read that Thatcher sometimes didn't understand the jokes that were written for her, and suggested unfunny "improvements" to them.

Apparently when Callaghan had been compared to Moses, someone wrote a line about "keep taking the tablets" for her. It seems she thought "keep taking the pill" would have been better. Perhaps she'd watched too many Carry On films.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    Best part of two weeks to go, and 90% of votes are still uncast.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

As I say, going all over the place with no plan.

I am being flippant, but, really, this is beginning to look an "interesting" election compared to the gentle stroll to a 100+ seat majority for May we were expecting.
    Corbyn copying Trump again, while May does a Hillary...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Was she talking about Brexit?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

We need someone who is flexible, quick on their feet, confident, curious, smart and not terrified of negative headlines in the right wing press. We need the anti-May!

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Scott_P said:

Maybe I am not the target demographic, but that video is, to use a SeanT expression, beyond utterly shit.
  • Options
    Fiscally dry voters!!

The Tories have been the biggest borrowers over the last 70years. The documented figures are as follows: The average Tory annual borrowing in their 42 years in office was £22.9 billion compared to Labour’s annual borrowing of £17.4 billion during their 28 years in office. (Data source: The basic data on borrowing came from the House of Commons Library).
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Cyclefree said:

Hello all.

A week ago children were blown to bits during a night out. May has spent time this last week being briefed by the security services about threats of similar attacks, threats that necessitated a temporary change in rating.

For a number of reasons, some personal some political, I think there is an intense dislike of Theresa May on this forum, which is not shared by the public as a whole.
  • Options
    I do wonder whether Labour are wishing tonight that there was another month or so to go. The more we see of May etc etc...
  • Options
    alex. said:

JohnO said:

But in your confidence this time based on what you are finding or the doorstep, or your instinct about how the electorate will ultimately respond to Corbyn in the privacy of the election booth?

I think the big problem could be the BBC "leaders debate" where she's sending a replacement. Better to just boycott the thing if you don't like the idea. Might just about be helped by Sturgeon not taking part, but Rudd will be on a hiding to nothing. And Labour (as long as they don't send Abbott) can just say that Corbyn would have turned up if May had.
    Labour should send Thornberry or Ashworth, either is good with cameras, and Ashworth would be a good foil to the sisterhood.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

We need someone who is flexible, quick on their feet, confident, curious, smart and not terrified of negative headlines in the right wing press. We need the anti-May!

Apparently May is looking to reboot her campaign with help from walkers crisps and BA.
  • Options
    alex. said:

JohnO said:

Yes, very much instinct this time around - so far have only delivered in Kingston and Surbiton though will be knocking up there on the day. The value of the feedback from the intensive canvassing for the locals earlier this month has clearly diminished. So I have made a caveat on my general confidence in that the campaign itself can afford no more bungling in the next two weeks.
  • Options

Barry Gardiner absolutely trounced Karen Bradley on #C4News, she is obviously as dim as her friend May, 6.8 pence for a bloody breakfast

My other half impressed by Gardiner. Next Labour leader?

• Options

Fiscally dry voters!!

The Tories have been the biggest borrowers over the last 70years. The documented figures are as follows: The average Tory annual borrowing in their 42 years in office was £22.9 billion compared to Labour’s annual borrowing of £17.4 billion during their 28 years in office. (Data source: The basic data on borrowing came from the House of Commons Library).

Helped by an enormous deficit left by Labour. And doing it in cash terms over seventy years really doesn't make sense because of inflation.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Surely by now Labour HQ ought to be brave enough to send Corbyn somewhere that is actually marginal? Surely the candidates phoning HQ to ask for photos of Corby is a clue?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Personally, I have always viewed having a sense of humour as a sign of a certain level of intelligence.

Building a winning deal from a position of relative weakness will certainly need a level of personability and persuasiveness. May's humourless inflexibility is not promising on that front.

• Options
    TMA1TMA1 Posts: 225
    ''“It may just be that the terrible event in Manchester has done this but this seems to be quite a low-key campaign.
    “I don’t mean to be rude but you seem to be a bit of a glum bucket''
    to which the audience jeered she looked round and smiled at which point the clip conveniently stops.
    A bit thick of Letts to juxtapose the bombing with 'low key'.

Letts does have form (lets face it reporters are always tying to sound superior) he said of Clegg (as per Huffington) he 'had the demeanor of a “spat-out Smartie”.'
    I am not quite sure what that is meant to mean but I would put May ahead.

One thing is for sure, no surprise at the thread header. LibDems paddling like mad here.

• Options
    Chris said:

Scott_P said:

Was she talking about Brexit?
    Yes. Brexit, Brexit and more Brexit.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Fiscally dry voters!!

Helped by an enormous deficit left by Labour. And doing it in cash terms over seventy years really doesn't make sense because of inflation.
    Yet suddenly Brexit means that balancing the books is now hugely less urgent?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Fiscally dry voters!!

70 yrs FFS
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Fiscally dry voters!!

But still a priority, unlike Labour who want to add significantly to the deficit. The idea that fiscally dry voters should vote labour is ridiculous.
  • Options

RobD said:

Fiscally dry voters!!

70 yrs FFS
    The fairer stat would be average % of GDP.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Nutall interview now.
  • Options
    TMA1 said:

''“It may just be that the terrible event in Manchester has done this but this seems to be quite a low-key campaign.
    “I don’t mean to be rude but you seem to be a bit of a glum bucket''
    to which the audience jeered she looked round and smiled at which point the clip conveniently stops.
    A bit thick of Letts to juxtapose the bombing with 'low key'.

Letts does have form (lets face it reporters are always tying to sound superior) he said of Clegg (as per Huffington) he 'had the demeanor of a “spat-out Smartie”.'
    I am not quite sure what that is meant to mean but I would put May ahead.

One thing is for sure, no surprise at the thread header. LibDems paddling like mad here.

Letts is not really a reporter - he is a sketch-writer and humorist.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Fiscally dry voters!!

Hugely less likely more like.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Building a winning deal from a position of relative weakness will certainly need a level of personability and persuasiveness. May's humourless inflexibility is not promising on that front.

I agree on the inflexibility, but the continentals often find British style humour mid serious business rather inappropriate.

It is selling the carcrash to the British public that requires the emotional intelligence.
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

RobD said:

Fiscally dry voters!!

But still a priority, unlike Labour who want to add significantly to the deficit. The idea that fiscally dry voters should vote labour is ridiculous.
    Priority lol
  • Options
    nunu said:

Nutall interview now.

Has he mentioned his stint as a NASA astronaut yet?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Apparently May is looking to reboot her campaign with help from walkers crisps and BA.
    We is avin a laff!!

Pity the inevitable end result is still TMICIPM
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Cyclefree said:

Hello all.

For a number of reasons, some personal some political, I think there is an intense dislike of Theresa May on this forum, which is not shared by the public as a whole.
    That's absolutely right and you should join the diplomatic service.
  • Options

JohnO said:

Oh, during the ceasefire. That explains a lot.
    That this statement (or rather action) of the bleedin obvious is give such desperate prominence by The Independent tells us a lot about The Independent.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    Chris said:

Ishmael_Z said:

I once read that Thatcher sometimes didn't understand the jokes that were written for her, and suggested unfunny "improvements" to them.

Apparently when Callaghan had been compared to Moses, someone wrote a line about "keep taking the tablets" for her. It seems she thought "keep taking the pill" would have been better. Perhaps she'd watched too many Carry On films.
    Her 'dead parrot' sketch was pretty excruciating but I think her delivery of 'you turn if you want to' was just about perfect, switching into a robotic cadence for 'the lady's not for turning' that emphasised the deeper meaning.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,307

Scott_P said:

Maybe I am not the target demographic, but that video is, to use a SeanT expression, beyond utterly shit.
    Terrible facial expressions - maniacal verging on the unhinged. Reminds me of that bizarre thing Gordon did all those years ago. Theresa is rapidly turning into a figure of derision. The Tories can't allow this to continue, or Jezza will soon be boiling his jam in the kitchen of Number 10.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ie someone who will cave into the EU, we don't want that either
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

My other half impressed by Gardiner. Next Labour leader?

Yeah. He is a schmoozie. Got money out of me over the phone two weeks back.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Surely by now Labour HQ ought to be brave enough to send Corbyn somewhere that is actually marginal? Surely the candidates phoning HQ to ask for photos of Corby is a clue?
    Perhaps they might risk him in Ealing Central and Acton or Hampstead and Kilburn?
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Scott_P said:

Terrible facial expressions - maniacal verging on the unhinged. Reminds me of that bizarre thing Gordon did all those years ago. Theresa is rapidly turning into a figure of derision. The Tories can't allow this to continue, or Jezza will soon be boiling his jam in the kitchen of Number 10.
    Now what was Mr Fear just saying...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

HYUFD said:

Jonathan said:

Are the photos of him with Gerry Adams that popular?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

nunu said:

Nutall interview now.

Has he mentioned his stint as a NASA astronaut yet?
    no, just that he's planning a career as an executioner.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

This is beginning to look more like the time Coke rebranded one of their drinks. Or changed the recipe. Osborne must be drinking champagne every night of this campaign.
This discussion has been closed.