Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mrs May’s extraordinary ratings honeymoon ended with the manif

Comments

• Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042

So. Two weeks today. Corbyn's latest rallying speech to the comrades - from the podium in Downing Street.

It's going to happen. I just feel it in my bones. He's played a blinder in recent weeks, on any objective assessment Labour is completely owning this GE campaign. The Tories have been complacent and dull and offered nothing in a dogshit manifesto. They deserve to lose seats.

What an absolute effing disaster from the disaster of a party I have little option but to continue to support. In a thoroughly depressing week I am yet further depressed as this car crash continues to unfold.

I am no fan of Corbyn (as many here will know!!) but he has certainly completely out campaigned May, who has proved herself to be utterly inept in the crucible of a general election. Where we differ is that I still think the Tories will win big. That said, I also thought Clinton and Remain would win. In both those cases, however, I backed the opposite outcome as a value longshot. Labour now at least have come into view as a value longshot, from being completely out of the game two weeks ago.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Scott_P said:

JonathanD said:

The Leave Brexit campaigned normalised fantasy economics, protectionism, sweeties for all and even the general unimportance of economic growth when set against emotional arguments.

There is no way the Tories can now pretend to be worried about the economy given the choices they have made in the past year.

Yup, it's hard for this guy to accuse others of fantasy...

The Brexiteers also normalised the argument that its fine to make up lies about numbers - the bigger the better - since that gets people talking about your manifesto and forces the opposition to spend time disproving you.

For them to now complain about Corbyn's un-costed manifesto...
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    JonathanD said:

The Brexiteers also normalised the argument that its fine to make up lies about numbers - the bigger the better - since that gets people talking about your manifesto and forces the opposition to spend time disproving you.

For them to now complain about Corbyn's un-costed manifesto...

"But the IFS say..."

WE HAVE HAD ENOUGH OF EXPERTS!!!
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    It could be that the British are not "cucks" unlike the French who voted for Macron and will say "fuck you" to the people who have ruled over us for the past decades. Or else, the next poll will show May with a 20 point lead. On verra.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I'm not very convinced by this You Gov.

One thing that is nagging away is that Momentum asked their members a while back to sign up to survey panels. Could YouGov have been infiltrated? You'd need thousands of people to sign up but not impossible...

Will be interesting to see if phone polls show any different.

Christ. Now the Tories are borrowing the Corbynites' tin-foil-hats.

Desperate times, indeed.
    Just to point out I'm not a PB Tory. I'm looking for a reason why the numbers might not match the anecdotal evidence.
    But the numbers DO match the anecdotal evidence. Everyone hated that Manifesto and TMay made herself look like a weak & wobbly idiot. Polling shows this, canvassers report it, I'm hearing it from friends and family
    But do you really think the anecdotal evidence is enough to suggest one bad policy in an underwhelming manifesto wiped out a comfortable 15-20 point lead? The Tories aren't really moving to Labour, it's just Labour are doing well with non voters. If we did get crossover then it would just make me more certain the polls are completely wrong, and that might sound a bit tin foil hat but there is no way Corbyn will come close to outpolling May.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,871
    Corbyn doing good.

The war on Terror isn't working.

More resources to fight terror.

No wars abroad without a chance of making us safer.

The PLP is being goaded here. Will they retaliate
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,722
    Scott_P said:
    This is one of the surprises of Brexit for me. I was expecting it to increase demand for independence, when it seems to have dampened it. I guess people are cottoning on to the similarity between leaving the two unions and if one is problematic, the other is even more so.
  • Options
    Jeremy "not a pacifist"

@iainjwatson: Jeremy corbyn says soldiers will only be deployed abroad where there is a clear need and outcome is lasting peace https://twitter.com/iainjwatson/status/868049233357807616/photo/1
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I have come to the conclusion that I know fuck all about British politics. The only consolation is that no one else knows anything, either.

I cannot think of a serious commentator who predicted that we'd end up here, with Labour on 38 - 38!! - and on trend to take away the Tory majority. Only the maddest of Corbynista predicted that, and they also think the Zios organised 9/11, and reiki works.

The one thing I did get right, unfortunately, was my instant reaction to the Tory manifesto - OMFG disaster - and then my sudden temptation to vote for Corbyn. I made the same shift as millions of Brits. But I shifted back and I am utterly unsure as to whether my fellow citizens will follow me.

I know nussing. I am from Barthelona.

Sean, one thing you do appear to right about is the capacity of young women to be fully paid up Corbynistas. I was out with the girls from my office last night –posh, expensively privately educated, 24-26-year-olds. I assumed they would all be Tories. Nope, blazing reds the lot of them. What is it about Corbyn and Millennials of the fairer sex??
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited May 2017
    In the end this election will come down which is more important for people -

Securing Brexit or securing their inheritances/fuel allowances etc.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Scott_P said:

@MrHarryCole: Two years ago Labour's shadow chancellor called for MI5 to be disbanded. Now Corbyn expects us to believe there will more money for them.

Still voting Lib Dem, Scott ?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Sounds like Corbyn will run foreign policy depending on which terror group kills the most people in the Uk.

Surrender monkey.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Why would Conservative supporters switch to Labour because of the manifesto Social Care policy when Labour would make inheritance tax far worse for them?
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole: Jeremy Corbyn: "The blame is with the terrorists, but..."

He really said that today.

@DPJHodges: "I do not want to make a narrow party political point" says Corbyn after spending 15 minutes blaming government policy for Manchester.
  • Options

Corbyn doing good.

Its too hot for canvassing.

Everybody is out enjoying themselves..

Only spoke to a handful of people but felt like no change Post Manchester to me.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Why would Conservative supporters switch to Labour because of the manifesto Social Care policy when Labour would make inheritance tax far worse for them?

They won’t. They might have a hissy fit like SeanT.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

rkrkrk said:

SeanT said:

I have come to the conclusion that I know fuck all about British politics. The only consolation is that no one else knows anything, either.

I cannot think of a serious commentator who predicted that we'd end up here, with Labour on 38 - 38!! - and on trend to take away the Tory majority. Only the maddest of Corbynista predicted that, and they also think the Zios organised 9/11, and reiki works.

The one thing I did get right, unfortunately, was my instant reaction to the Tory manifesto - OMFG disaster - and then my sudden temptation to vote for Corbyn. I made the same shift as millions of Brits. But I shifted back and I am utterly unsure as to whether my fellow citizens will follow me.

There was that kid who bet big on Corbyn to be PM?
    (For his sake I hope he has taken some insurance now)
    I'm with SeanT. This is beyond belief. I literally can't believe these numbers. Maybe it will prove to be very different on election night.

Relieved I have a hedge bet on Lab most seats if this continues.
    My only national bet is on a Tory majority of 200+. Tbh it could still happen.
    Lots of constituency small bets - largely on Labour seats I thought could resist the Tory tide.

But basically it all boils down to Sarah Olney after getting on at 25-1. I've hedged a bit but if she can do it I'll be very happy.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,207
    Scott_P said:

@BBCNormanS: Jeremy Corbyn will pledge to be "tough on terrorism ; tough on the causes of terrorism" #ge17 #blair

If he really does say this, doesn't it give the Tories the opening they need?

A few posters etc with Corbyn boasting about opposing anti-terror laws, Abbot's quotes about the intelligence services, McDonnell refusing to pay for intelligence, McDonnell saying that "bombers should be honoured", Corbyn calling Hamas "friends", etc.

And all of them with the strapline: "Weak on terrorism; weak on the causes of terrorism."

Is everyone in the Tory party asleep?

I don't like May and don't want a huge majority but Labour under Corbyn would IMO be a real disaster for Britain. A moral disaster above all.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Corbyn just secured a few hundred thousand more votes. This is happening.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    bobajobPB said:

RobD said:

MattyNeth said:

Martin Boon reporting on a Twitter that this weekends polls will be interesting. Make of that what you will

Bugger me, the teasers are the worst.
    Agreed. Poll rampers should be punished in a cruel and unusual fashion by being forced to attend a five hour dinner party with Lynton Crosby and Paul Dacre.
    Without booze.
  • Options

This. They definitely won't, it might have dampened a few Tories to become 'non voters' for a few days. That is until the threat of Corbyn is real and they'll become blues again on polling days.

The Labour growth is just non voters and a few more fed up kippers being turned on by the anti elite, freebie bandwagon.

If there was significant movement from Blue to Red then the Tories should worry, but polling in the 40s will mean they will win, possible comfortably.
  • Options

Maybe...

I am in a very safe Tory Brexiteer seat, so a protest Lib Dem anti-Brexit vote is probably harmless.

And yet.
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: Corbyn warns Tories: "Let’s hv our arguments without impugning anyone’s patriotism + w/out diluting unity w/ which we stand against terror."

Yeah, right...
  • Options
    People who are scared may well think it a good idea to let the terrorists decide our foreign policy.

What happened to the bulldog spirit?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

One thing that is nagging away is that Momentum asked their members a while back to sign up to survey panels. Could YouGov have been infiltrated? You'd need thousands of people to sign up but not impossible...

Desperate times, indeed.
    Just to point out I'm not a PB Tory. I'm looking for a reason why the numbers might not match the anecdotal evidence.
    But the numbers DO match the anecdotal evidence. Everyone hated that Manifesto and TMay made herself look like a weak & wobbly idiot. Polling shows this, canvassers report it, I'm hearing it from friends and family
    Strong and Stable Corbyn backing the police and security services against Mrs Weak and Wobblys cuts .
    McDonnell's had a change of heart!
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815

camel said:

SeanT said:

It has come to this. I've voted ABL for thirty years. Yet this year they offer me (well mainly my children( a clear and unequivocal £54k bung. I simply can;t decide whether I would be a lunatic to ever vote for Corbyn, or an absolute lunatic not to.

I though BREXIT was lunacy. Yet the sun keeps coming up every morning. I thought Trump was lunacy. Yet I see no change (yet) in the world.
    I can't be alone in thinking that when the doom-mongers tell us that a paradigm shift will be disastrous, maybe they're going to be wrong again.

Still, for the first time I am genuinely a floater.

But the truth is... there is no bung.

You and your children will end up paying much more for it.

Yes but me and my children and 60 million other will all be paying a share.

Indeed, it's a bonkers policy and its absolutely counter to my beliefs. But £54k (of my kid's money) is a big saving. I think I'm been bought, yet curiously I don't feel dirty.

Either way I genuinely believe that the 18-24 voting percentages will be up on last time, significantly. I just wonder how many parents as as easily swayed as me.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    GIN1138 said:

In the end this election will come down which is more important for people -

Securing Brexit or securing their inheritances/fuel allowances etc.

The majority of people didn't vote for Brexit because of a deep philosophical agreement with national sovereignty. They voted for it because Leave promised them lots of sweeties and because it was a chance to stick it to the Establishment. Voting Corbyn offers them the same opportunity.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

I've just voted

Until this election, from my first vote in 97 I have always voted Labour, I was a member until 2015

I've voted Lib Dem all be it in Wythenshawe & Sale East where Labour weigh their votes.

I have a horrible feeling OGH could have his collar felt for publishing that information, perhaps you should anonymise the party you voted for.

How on earth can it be an offence to say how you voted??? Is that any different from asking people how they WILL vote? Should we lock up opinion pollsters then?

Actually.....
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    Corbyn equates appeasement to 'conflict resolution'. Tories, open goal here. A massive one.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Pulpstar said:

I see that after a 16 month reign in the top slot, the liberal elite is no longer public enemy number one.

It seems that the Leavers are running into what we might call the 7 minute abs problem. If you peddle a nasty reactionary fantasy to angry fearful people, there's always the risk of being successfully outcrazied by another salesman.

But didn't a certain wise owl write:

'And so the rest of the campaign is likely to be dominated by security concerns. This is an unmitigated disaster for Jeremy Corbyn, who the public strongly distrust on the subject. It is far too late for him to regain their confidence on this subject now.'
    Oh he writes nonsense most of the time. I wouldn't put any credence in his views.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Maybe...

I am in a very safe Tory Brexiteer seat, so a protest Lib Dem anti-Brexit vote is probably harmless.

And yet.
    Tempted by Corbs? :D
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,253

Tory panic may be at a high level by Sunday. Who is going to get their jacket lapels grabbed and be told 'We are f***ing losing this' this time?
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

I've just voted

Until this election, from my first vote in 97 I have always voted Labour, I was a member until 2015

I've voted Lib Dem all be it in Wythenshawe & Sale East where Labour weigh their votes.

I'll be doing the same in the same Constituency - although I didn't think Mike Kane was that bad an MP.
    Agree, really rate Mike Kane as MP, however, he has the problem that is Corbyn.
  • Options

Where - Aleppo ?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631
    SeanT said:

One thing is for sure, and possibly to the Tories' advantage, everyone I know is now well aware that Labour are surging, and might even win.

I've had several close friends and family members, say, unprompted, "I'm extremely worried now" (if they are Tories). The floating voters have just been incredulous at the implosion of the Tory campaign and the stupidity of TMay.

Conclusion?

With the one minor caveat that I know absolutely nothing about British politics and have got almost everything wrong, I reckon TMay will scrape to a 50 seat majority, but she will always be damaged (If she gets less than 30, she will be out; if she loses her maj, she will be banished to Foulda)

This means Corbyn will stay on. So we will be one swing of the political pendulum from quasi-Marxist government. Great.

"So we will be one swing of the political pendulum from quasi-Marxist government."

While negotiating the rapids of Brexit...

One other point which hasn't had a lot of discussion during the current flap is the schools funding squeeze - compounded by the 'fairer funding formula'.
    One the government's own figures, average per pupil funding will fall in real terms by around three percent over the course of the next parliament. That doesn't sound massive, but when most of your costs (salaries) are rising outside of your control, it's extremely difficult. For the 'fairer funding' losers, it's going to be more than difficult.
    And it's not just teachers who are unhappy.

Again the government presentation - "we are spending a record amount" mantra - is poor, when everyone knows per-pupil funding is falling. The clearly undercosted figures for their free breakfast scheme another example.

... and I know of a couple of local primary schools (with rising pupil rolls) announcing redundancies this week.
  • Options

What's this a reference to Dyed?
  • Options
    This election is going to prove who is really top dog in affecting voter behaviour. Will it be the print newspapers with their solid backing of May come polling day or the social media frenzy where voters are being won over by comments, likes and shares.?

As betting men we should all know the papers won't support a loser, and we know who the papers are supporting don't we.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Scott_P said:

Maybe...

And yet.
    Corbyn's the centre of all media attention now. Nobody's interested in May's alternatingly idiotic or banal pronouncements.
  • Options
    MarqueeMark

Chortle.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    TGOHF said:

Where - Aleppo ?
    Much as it pains me to say it as I think he's a scumbag, he's talking directly to those who feel let down, disenfranchised and disenchanted. It's a very specific targeting.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

SeanT said:

I'm with SeanT. This is beyond belief. I literally can't believe these numbers. Maybe it will prove to be very different on election night.

Lots of constituency small bets - largely on Labour seats I thought could resist the Tory tide.

But basically it all boils down to Sarah Olney after getting on at 25-1. I've hedged a bit but if she can do it I'll be very happy.
    When did you get that bet on Sarah Olney winning at 25-1?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Back in the 1987 general election campaign there were quite a few polls with the Con lead down to between 4-7%.

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/voting-intention-1983-1987

Kinnock was generally perceived to have had a good campaign and Thatcher a poor campaign.

We know what the result was in the end though...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Scott_P said:

Maybe...

And yet.
    I thouhgt it was Edinburgh SW :p
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

@BBCNormanS: Jeremy Corbyn will pledge to be "tough on terrorism ; tough on the causes of terrorism" #ge17 #blair

A few posters etc with Corbyn boasting about opposing anti-terror laws, Abbot's quotes about the intelligence services, McDonnell refusing to pay for intelligence, McDonnell saying that "bombers should be honoured", Corbyn calling Hamas "friends", etc.

And all of them with the strapline: "Weak on terrorism; weak on the causes of terrorism."

I don't like May and don't want a huge majority but Labour under Corbyn would IMO be a real disaster for Britain. A moral disaster above all.
    Britain has already had one moral disaster in the last twelve months. But far too many of those wringing their hands this time around were oblivious to that one.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

I've just voted

I have a horrible feeling OGH could have his collar felt for publishing that information, perhaps you should anonymise the party you voted for.

How on earth can it be an offence to say how you voted??? Is that any different from asking people how they WILL vote? Should we lock up opinion pollsters then?

Actually.....
    Grey area

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/11589297/Is-it-illegal-to-tweet-how-I-vote.html
  • Options
    JWisemannJWisemann Posts: 1,082

I can see the 50 plus vote being very energised by a line something like 'imagine if we had ever said in winter 1940 that the war against Germany wasn't working' that's the sort of attack line the MSM will go with

Corbyn's argument is more as though we should stop helping the 'Nazis' taking over various countries abroad if we want to help stop them at home.

The destruction of Libya and Syria (both of which had - or still have thankfully in the latter case - autocratic secular governments implacably opposed to Islamist jihadis), for which the Tory government hold huge responsibility, is as though we helped the Nazis against the Soviet Union at the same time as trying to fight them at home.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

So why are the polls showing a big move from Conservative to Labour?
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262

Isn’t the answer that people are looking at the difference (Tory-Labour) of two statistical distributions ?

Suppose each are normals distributed with a sigma of 3. The difference has a sigma of 2^(1/2) 3 = 4.2

Suppose the gap between Tory and Labour is 10. We measure the gap is 5. This is just a 1 and a bit sigma event -- not at all unusual.

Your model assumes the distributions to be independent. If they were, then yes, z=5/4.2.
  • Options

camel said:

SeanT said:

It has come to this. I've voted ABL for thirty years. Yet this year they offer me (well mainly my children( a clear and unequivocal £54k bung. I simply can;t decide whether I would be a lunatic to ever vote for Corbyn, or an absolute lunatic not to.

I though BREXIT was lunacy. Yet the sun keeps coming up every morning. I thought Trump was lunacy. Yet I see no change (yet) in the world.
    I can't be alone in thinking that when the doom-mongers tell us that a paradigm shift will be disastrous, maybe they're going to be wrong again.

You are right - but how many will look beyond the £9000 pa cut in their fees ?
  • Options

Corbyn doing good.

If you seriously believe that Labour under Corbyn will provide more resources to fight terror, you must be absolutely deluded. Corbyn has consistently opposed all legislation aimed at fighting terror, his Shadow Chancellor has called for the intelligence services to be shut down, as has his Shadow Home Secretary. The idea that they will provide more resources or take the steps needed to deal with the terrorist threat is for the birds.

His policy is simple appeasement of the ideology behind the terrorists. It always has been. And it always will be.

If the Tories can make that simple case, they deserve to lose.

But it will be us, the British public, who will be the losers.

And at this point I feel a real rage that Britain may be on the verge of electing to government the useful and malign idiots of the Left who have done so much to side themselves with all those who excuse, explain away or justify the terrorists.

War in foreign lands may not be the answer. But refusing to recognize the evil we face for what it is and cosying up to it, as Corbyn and his pals have done for years is far worse. We can stop fighting abroad. But if we don't take steps here to defeat this poisonous ideology then not fighting wars will do nothing to make us safe. Appeasement never works.

• Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    bobajobPB said:

So. Two weeks today. Corbyn's latest rallying speech to the comrades - from the podium in Downing Street.

It's going to happen. I just feel it in my bones. He's played a blinder in recent weeks, on any objective assessment Labour is completely owning this GE campaign. The Tories have been complacent and dull and offered nothing in a dogshit manifesto. They deserve to lose seats.

What an absolute effing disaster from the disaster of a party I have little option but to continue to support. In a thoroughly depressing week I am yet further depressed as this car crash continues to unfold.

I am no fan of Corbyn (as many here will know!!) but he has certainly completely out campaigned May, who has proved herself to be utterly inept in the crucible of a general election. Where we differ is that I still think the Tories will win big. That said, I also thought Clinton and Remain would win. In both those cases, however, I backed the opposite outcome as a value longshot. Labour now at least have come into view as a value longshot, from being completely out of the game two weeks ago.
    I'd happily bet - given odds of sufficient value - that at 7.00 h on 9 June I wake up to a Tory majority greater than now. Maybe some strange seat gains and losses, admittedly, making the loss of Gower in 2015 look normal.

Under FPTP, hasn't Labour's voting efficiency been falling? It's no good piling up more Labour votes in Chester, Exeter, Bath or Cheltenham if one loses them in Darlington or Bishop Auckland and 20 seats rather like them. A gain of 15-20 Labour seats and a few from the SNP gives her a majority of around 50.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    If the Tories cannot demolish Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott over matters of security and defence, then quite simply, they do not deserve to form the next government.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

I can see the 50 plus vote being very energised by a line something like 'imagine if we had ever said in winter 1940 that the war against Germany wasn't working' that's the sort of attack line the MSM will go with

Corbyn's argument is more as though we should stop helping the 'Nazis' taking over various countries abroad if we want to help stop them at home.

The destruction of Libya and Syria (both of which had - or still have thankfully in the latter case - autocratic secular governments implacably opposed to Islamist jihadis), for which the Tory government hold huge responsibility, is as though we helped the Nazis against the Soviet Union at the same time as trying to fight them at home.
    Didn't Cameron intervene in Libya to help the side that the Manc bomber supported ?

They seem to bomb us when we intervene, bomb us when we don't and bomb us when our young girls show their ankles.

Hey but I'm sure Jeremy can negotiate a peace deal with them - no problem.
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299

Scott_P said:

Maybe...

And yet.
    Corbyn's the centre of all media attention now. Nobody's interested in May's alternatingly idiotic or banal pronouncements.
    Unfortunately very true. CCHQ are having a shocker. Being played offthe pitch.
  • Options
    Brom said:

This election is going to prove who is really top dog in affecting voter behaviour. Will it be the print newspapers with their solid backing of May come polling day or the social media frenzy where voters are being won over by comments, likes and shares.?

As betting men we should all know the papers won't support a loser, and we know who the papers are supporting don't we.

Well, it seems in America, social media played a big part in Trump winning.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

camel said:

SeanT said:

You are right - but how many will look beyond the £9000 pa cut in their fees ?
    It is regressive, helping the middle class more than the less well off.
  • Options
    Jason said:

If the Tories cannot demolish Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott over matters of security and defence, then quite simply, they do not deserve to form the next government.

You would have thought.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Scott_P said:

Britain has already had one moral disaster in the last twelve months. But far too many of those wringing their hands this time around were oblivious to that one.
    Not everyone was oblivious. And perhaps this one - if it happens - is part or a continuation of the same event.

• Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Could it be that Manchester has actually hurt the Tories rather than helped? Not because of blame on May, but because

a) prior elections worldwide have shown almost no impact either way of terrorist attacks on voting (Spain 2004 was not because of the attack but due to the response). It's already factored in. We all know it exists and people have already taken that into consideration.

and

2a) the attack obviously derailed the news focus away from the tory cap u-turn on dementia tax. Wasn't it announced just the day before the attack? People had plenty of time to get worked up about the tax itself, but noone is talking about the cap / uturn now.

and 2b) the cap itself is a crap solution anyway. If you are worried about losing inheritance money (on giving or receiving end) then a cap is unlikely to reassure, because you are still going to lose out by voting tory. It's not enough of a u-turn, a dementia tax is a dementia tax, only now the richest pensioners keep more of their money proportionally than those poorer than them.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Surrender monkey.

Silly boy

Have policies since 2001 made us safer or less safe

That is the test if Corbyn wins.

Committing troops only where there is a proper peace plan
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Cyan said:

Isn’t the answer that people are looking at the difference (Tory-Labour) of two statistical distributions ?

Suppose each are normals distributed with a sigma of 3. The difference has a sigma of 2^(1/2) 3 = 4.2

Suppose the gap between Tory and Labour is 10. We measure the gap is 5. This is just a 1 and a bit sigma event -- not at all unusual.

Your model assumes the distributions to be independent. If they were, then yes, z=5/4.2.
    I think the distributions are likely to be both correlated and non-Gaussian, but I think both of those effects will increase the probability.
  • Options
    The re-emergence of Labour support will surely lead to a squeeze on the Lib Dem, UKIP amd Green vote.

Discuss.
  • Options
    An informed understanding of the causes of terrorism is an essential part of an effective response.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    TGOHF said:

JWisemann said:

Didn't Cameron intervene in Libya to help the side that the Manc bomber supported ?

They seem to bomb us when we intervene, bomb us when we don't and bomb us when our young girls show their ankles.

Hey but I'm sure Jeremy can negotiate a peace deal with them - no problem.
    Yes, exactly Cameron did help the jihadis in Libya. Helping anti-western terrorists abroad for narrow geopolitical advantage (to be harvested only by the super-rich establishment) without considering the obvious potential for blowback is precisely the point we are making.

Jermey Corbyn is not suggesting a peace deal. He is suggesting we stop actively assisting them and helping them abroad.
  • Options

An informed understanding of the causes of terrorism is an essential part of an effective response.

Can we expect any other pearls of wisdom today?
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    edited May 2017
    camel said:

camel said:

SeanT said:

Yes but me and my children and 60 million other will all be paying a share.

Indeed, it's a bonkers policy and its absolutely counter to my beliefs. But £54k (of my kid's money) is a big saving. I think I'm been bought, yet curiously I don't feel dirty.

Either way I genuinely believe that the 18-24 voting percentages will be up on last time, significantly. I just wonder how many parents as as easily swayed as me.
    Interesting perhaps some of the poll movement among the 40 -50 year olds, the age group of the parents of the students and prospective students, is more driven by "the free" tuition fee bung rather than the social care "disaster"
  • Options

Yes it is. And there are plenty of people with that informed understanding, such as former terrorists or those close to them, who are saying that Corbyn's understanding is utterly faulty.

• Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Support for Corbyn BTL by many Daily Mail readers.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

bobajobPB said:

I'd happily bet - given odds of sufficient value - that at 7.00 h on 9 June I wake up to a Tory majority greater than now. Maybe some strange seat gains and losses, admittedly, making the loss of Gower in 2015 look normal.

Under FPTP, hasn't Labour's voting efficiency been falling? It's no good piling up more Labour votes in Chester, Exeter, Bath or Cheltenham if one loses them in Darlington or Bishop Auckland and 20 seats rather like them. A gain of 15-20 Labour seats and a few from the SNP gives her a majority of around 50.
    I'd have thought Labour votes in Chester would be very useful.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    camel said:

SeanT said:

Remember that borrowing is just delayed taxation - the "bung" is far from unequivocal, I'm afraid.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

TGOHF said:

Surrender monkey.

Silly boy

Jezz would NEVER commit troops anytime, anywhere, peace plan or not.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

the secular pluralistic government of Assad was an inconvenience to our establishment's money-making plans for the region.

What plans were those?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    Brom said:

Fascinating indeed.

I think the print media will win, as they always do. Their alliances have run the country since 1979.
  • Options
    So is anyone here happy to stand up and say unequivocally that turning Libya, Iraq and Syria into failed states and assisting Saudi Arabia in its quest to spread the poisonous perversions of Wahabism across the globe has made us safer?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Jason said:

It has now got to the stage that the sort of personal attacks on Corbyn et al that you want will be counter productive . To retrieve the position the Conservatives need to send out positive messages for people to vote for them but this seems beyond Mrs W and W .
  • Options

Corbyn doing good.

Gave up on the canvassing already?
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

So is anyone here happy to stand up and say unequivocally that turning Libya, Iraq and Syria into failed states and assisting Saudi Arabia in its quest to spread the poisonous perversions of Wahabism across the globe has made us safer?

I can say unequivocally that complaining about action in Libya and inaction in Syria is having your cake and eating it.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited May 2017
    Brom said:

Nobody under 60 in Britain has ever voted in a general election where the Sun hasn't backed the winner.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    TudorRose said:

bobajobPB said:

I'd have thought Labour votes in Chester would be very useful.
    They only need the existing number of votes to keep Chester Labour.
    I know they have a perilously low majority. But it's FPTP and winner takes all.
  • Options
    JWisemann said:

Jermey Corbyn is not suggesting a peace deal. He is suggesting we stop actively assisting them and helping them abroad.

So he's changed his policy since his time supporting the IRA ?
  • Options

JWisemann said:

I can say unequivocally that complaining about action in Libya and inaction in Syria is having your cake and eating it.
    That's what I thought. ;)
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456

Corbyn is a terrorist sympathiser who is a total pacifist who will not take decisive action when required to protect our way of life, who will not defend this country and will let Russia and China veto any war we ought to take part in. His free uncosted sweeties for all bribe will bankrupt the UK and make us the laughing stock of the world. He is the most dangerous politician and is a clear and present danger to the security of the UK. If he gets his hands anywhere near the levers of power we are all screwed, and the damage to the UK will be permanent. I fear for my childrens future if Labour win
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Desperate times, indeed.
    Strong and Stable Corbyn backing the police and security services against Mrs Weak and Wobblys cuts .
    I thought you were Lib Dem not a Corbynista?
  • Options

But are they? Isn't it more that Labour are hoovering up the LibDems and Greens and Commies and Don't Usually Vote, and the Tories are losing votes to Don't Knows?

There is a point (I would suggest already reached) at which Labour cannot make further progress without getting Tories to switch to them. And they will be a much harder nut to crack.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

TGOHF said:

Surrender monkey.

Silly boy

So if an ally is invaded then you will not support them?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    JWisemann said:

So are you saying that we should have intervened in Syria when we didn't, and shouldn't have intervened in Libya when we did?
  • Options

You opening fortune cookies?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Back in the 1987 general election campaign there were quite a few polls with the Con lead down to between 4-7%.

Kinnock was generally perceived to have had a good campaign and Thatcher a poor campaign.

The 2015 campaign was portrayed as a disaster at the time, too...
  • Options
    edited May 2017

camel said:

SeanT said:

Remember that borrowing is just delayed taxation - the "bung" is far from unequivocal, I'm afraid.
    No - it's also redistribution. Many might imagine themselves winners from it, even if that proves wrong.

And they only have to believe that for the next fortnight.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

TGOHF said:

Surrender monkey.

Silly boy

Jezz would NEVER commit troops anytime, anywhere, peace plan or not.
    Thats not what he said.

On the flip side May would ALWAYS commit troops anytime, anywhere, peace plan or not on the click of Trumps fingers.

You are arguing the latter keeps us safe!!

Hasnt worked to date why will it work in future?
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251

Could it be that Manchester has actually hurt the Tories rather than helped? Not because of blame on May, but because

a) prior elections worldwide have shown almost no impact either way of terrorist attacks on voting (Spain 2004 was not because of the attack but due to the response). It's already factored in. We all know it exists and people have already taken that into consideration.

and

2a) the attack obviously derailed the news focus away from the tory cap u-turn on dementia tax. Wasn't it announced just the day before the attack? People had plenty of time to get worked up about the tax itself, but noone is talking about the cap / uturn now.

and 2b) the cap itself is a crap solution anyway. If you are worried about losing inheritance money (on giving or receiving end) then a cap is unlikely to reassure, because you are still going to lose out by voting tory. It's not enough of a u-turn, a dementia tax is a dementia tax, only now the richest pensioners keep more of their money proportionally than those poorer than them.

A cap would have to be carefully legislated for - perhaps by using percentages rather than a monetary amount. How about 15% of the estate value/
  • Options
    edited May 2017

JWisemann said:

I'm not complaining about inaction in Syria. Our government has been deeply involved in sponsoring the worst kinds of jihadi militants (who fight side by side with al-Qaeda ffs) there for narrow and disastrous geopolitical 'advantage'. We have intervened there heavily, just via proxy. The worst kinds of proxy.

We are saying that our intervention in both countries has been a disaster and directly assisted global terrorism, literally in many cases arming jihadis, as well as creating the chaotic conditions in which they thrive.

In both Libya AND Syria.
  • Options

It could be just a move from Con->DK/WNV and one from DK/WNV->Lab?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503

GIN1138 said:

..but the daily drip of Bacon sandwich nonsense from the press helped to seal it for the tories.
    I don't see why it should be any different this time.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    kjohnw said:

Corbyn is a terrorist sympathiser who is a total pacifist who will not take decisive action when required to protect our way of life, who will not defend this country and will let Russia and China veto any war we ought to take part in. His free uncosted sweeties for all bribe will bankrupt the UK and make us the laughing stock of the world. He is the most dangerous politician and is a clear and present danger to the security of the UK. If he gets his hands anywhere near the levers of power we are all screwed, and the damage to the UK will be permanent. I fear for my childrens future if Labour win
    And I fear for my grand childrens future if Mrs W and W and the Conservatives win .
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

SeanT said:

When did you get that bet on Sarah Olney winning at 25-1?
    Tipped on here by someone a little while back. Betfair sportsbook.
    Long gone now.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

GIN1138 said:

And 2010. Basically all the time.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Desperate times, indeed.
    I thought you were Lib Dem not a Corbynista?
    Mark is an anti-Tory. It doesn't matter what you're for so much as what you're against. That's the problem with ending up in government as the Lib Dems did: you have no choice but to be 'for' something, and the public will then hold you to account on it, whether you try to distance yourself or not. Hence the migration of those for whom politics is a matter of protest migrating from the Lib Dems and finding homes in places as diverse as UKIP or with Corbyn.
This discussion has been closed.