Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mrs May’s extraordinary ratings honeymoon ended with the manif

SystemSystem Posts: 11,685
edited May 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Mrs May’s extraordinary ratings honeymoon ended with the manifesto launch

One of the striking features of TMay’s period at Number 10 is how she has maintained positive leadership ratings throughput. Whether pollsters were asking about approval, favourability, satisfaction, or whether she was doing a good or bad job all the numbers were positive from the moment she became PM last July.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721
    1st
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    2nd
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249
    And if YouGov is as accurate as they were last time and in the EU referendum the Conservatives will get a majority of 60.

While it would be extremely funny to see the loathsome Corbyn utterly annihilated and demonstrated for what he is, and in the long run a good outcome for democracy, under the current circumstances that would be a far better outcome than what we all thought would happen three weeks ago.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Imagine Corbyn as Prime Minister with the full power of the British state at his control! Laughable.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    I see that Corbyn is doing his best to destroy Labours slim chance of a good showing in the GE

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/25/jeremy-corbyn-suggests-britains-wars-abroad-blame-manchester/
  • Options

Imagine Corbyn as Prime Minister with the full power of the British state at his control! Laughable.

I'd be more worried about Diane Abbott chairing Cobra.

More seriously, in the event he did win, he would surely be quickly replaced by Macdonnell, who is even worse.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    ydoethur said:

I'd be more worried about Diane Abbott chairing Cobra.

More seriously, in the event he did win, he would surely be quickly replaced by Macdonnell, who is even worse.
    You're right. Corbyn doesn't scare me half as much as McDonnell and Abbott
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Blue_rog said:

I see that Corbyn is doing his best to destroy Labours slim chance of a good showing in the GE

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/25/jeremy-corbyn-suggests-britains-wars-abroad-blame-manchester/

There is a certain amount of truth in it though. I am afraid the West is reaping what it has sowed. Read your history and learn my friend.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    The underlying figures on best PM and the economy in Yougov still point to a big Conservative win on the day, but I won't deny this is concerning.

It's possible that a poll taken on Monday might have shown no lead at all.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    murali_s said:

Blue_rog said:

There is a certain amount of truth in it though. I am afraid the West is reaping what it has sowed. Read your history and learn my friend.
    Without checking, I would say the country that has had most terrorist attacks in Europe in the last three years is France.

What foreign policy mishap caused those?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    So Corbyn has almost doubled his best leader ratings.

Is there any point at all in doing leader rating comparisons for people like Umunna or Yvette? Corbyn has had two leadership elections and two years at the helm, you'd think the public had a settled view on him by now, but no, the campaign changes things....
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Blue_rog said:

Corbyn's criticisms of cuts in police numbers may have more resonance, though.

Unless one asks what the Labour party's policy on the intelligence services is and why it is that Corbyn voted against every counter-terrorism measure passed by Parliament in recent years and what counter-terrorism measures he proposes etc.

The idea of Corbyn in charge of national security fills me with horror but I have little confidence that the Tories are up to opposing him properly and showing why his world view and long-standing political positions are the wrong answer and will likely make us less safe.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    It's a good thing I'm moving to Los Angeles. Enjoy life in Corbyn's Britain guys.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

murali_s said:

Blue_rog said:

Without checking, I would say the country that has had most terrorist attacks in Europe in the last three years is France.

We are all guilty.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,997
    ydoethur said:

murali_s said:

Blue_rog said:

Algeria?
  • Options
    Fat_SteveFat_Steve Posts: 361
    murali_s said:

Blue_rog said:

Horseshit. Isis hate us because we are kaffir. They hate us when we don't intervene and when we do. Re bit of history.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    murali_s said:

Blue_rog said:

The tin foil hat brigade are up early.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    ydoethur said:

And if YouGov is as accurate as they were last time and in the EU referendum the Conservatives will get a majority of 60.

While it would be extremely funny to see the loathsome Corbyn utterly annihilated and demonstrated for what he is, and in the long run a good outcome for democracy, under the current circumstances that would be a far better outcome than what we all thought would happen three weeks ago.

That's my feeling as to the likely outcome also, right now. An election with no winners! May buys herself two more years and a small increase in majority, but her credibility and reputation takes a big hit as we go into Brexit and it would hardly be the overwhelming endorsement the Tories were hoping for. Nevertheless another bad defeat for Labour, with no resolution in sight to their troubles, and an excuse for Corbyn to continue. No resurgence for the LibDems, a step backwards for the SNP, and nothing for UKIP.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Blue_rog said:

Except that you are wrong. The evidence in the header is that the more the British public see of Corbyn's politics, the more they like them.
  • Options

Blue_rog said:

Except that you are wrong. The evidence in the header is that the more the British public see of Corbyn's politics, the more they like them.
    Is that surprising?
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    ydoethur said:

murali_s said:

Blue_rog said:

France had colonies too, Algeria for one as mentioned.

Whether or not that's really at the root of it is irrelevant because we can't change the past. ISIS reference the Crusades a lot it seems, so I doubt a change now wouldd alter their world view.
    We should focus on community policing and high tech intelligence services, as well as looking at the legal framework again.
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    edited May 2017
    The YouGov poll (FPT) of Con 43%, Lab 38%, LD 10%, UKIP 4% still gives the Tories an overall majority of 20 with a net gain of 4 seats according to Electoral Calculus, so the Tories wouldn't lose. Only a few seats would change hands and Labour would also gain seats, with the parties suffering being the SNP, PC (no seats) and the LDs (a taxi would suffice for their remaining MPs).

Mrs May isn't politically savvy, but she would still be PM with a minimally increased majority, which should be sufficient for the next 4-5 years. It would serve her right for calling this unnecessary GE.

It is clear to me that overthrowing Gaddafi, fomented by the ConDem government a few years ago, has a direct bearing on the Manchester atrocity, so Corbyn is right in linking British foreign meddling to Islamist terrorism here.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning all.

I’m quite warming to the idea of the cuddly old gent being PM, it’s a communist chancellor and a buffoon as home secretary that I find somewhat disquieting. Not going to happen tho.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    murali_s said:

Blue_rog said:

Victim blaming!
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Blue_rog said:

The normal rhetoric has been toned way, way down. It is a trap for the Cons.

The main message is that the War on Terror isn't working. To attack the statement is to defend the performance of the government of defending us from terrorism shortly after a bombing.

Corbyn still has plenty of scope to go off the rails on this and I think, from a Labour strategy point of view, it is a dangerous and totally self indulgent speech to make but the actual statement is carefully anodyne.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

murali_s said:

Blue_rog said:

France has bombed Syria, Lebanon, and has ground troops in Mali.

Not that there is a particularly close relationship between the overall actions of "the West" and which countries are targeted by the Islamists.
  • Options

Blue_rog said:

Up to a point. The Conservatives still lead on most issues, often by big margins.
  • Options
    Fat_Steve said:

murali_s said:

Blue_rog said:

Horseshit. Isis hate us because we are kaffir. They hate us when we don't intervene and when we do. Re bit of history.
    Exactly. But the Left refuse to understand that ideology motivates these people and therefore refuse to take action against that ideology. That is the point the government needs to make.

When Labour people speak to segregated audiences at mosques which host hate preachers they are giving their tacit approval to the ideology which animates killers like Abedi. They are not challenging it.
    And that is one way in which that ideology spreads in this country and forms the sea in which the terrorist fish swim.

Corbyn and his ilk are the useful idiots of the terrorists.
  • Options
    Richard_HRichard_H Posts: 48
    In the latest Yougov poll Labour have a lead of 3% amongst Women voters. They might be concerned about funding for care, schools, NHS. Could we have a situation on polling day, similar to the US, where Women don't vote for a party with a Woman as leader ?

I suspect this Labour polling of 38% is a one off and that the Tory lead is double digits, with a majority of over 50 still most likely. But Tory central office must be concerned that the election campaign is not going as planned.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    ydoethur said:

They won't have any money to raise from taxes elsewhere. That is the problem. They have already pledged to sextuple government borrowing, and they have also said they will not raise taxes for most of the population (we know they're lying, but that's their claim).

Take their education policy for example. Pay for extra spending on state schools by raising taxes on private schools, including VAT on fees and business rates. Great idea in theory - until you realise the majority of private school children under those circumstances would have to go back to the state sector, and that most private schools pay business rates anyway. So what they are actually proposing is to massively increase costs, substantially increase pupil numbers and provide no additional funding whatsoever.

Just to say 'they won't let x happen, they'll pay for it somehow' is no guarantee it will happen. Look at the Chavez/Maduro government (which Corbyn and Macdonnell admire so much) which made very similar pledges to buy votes and has totally destroyed a country with far sounder economic fundamentals than we have.

I think we've had this discussion on private schools before. 20% VAT is not going to lead to most pupils dropping out of private school. Parents will pay more, schools will cut costs, parents will choose a cheaper private option, life will go on.

It seems obvious to me that it is possible for government to scrap tuition fees without bankrupting universities. Labour have proposed tax changes to pay for the policy. In government they would be able to make further tax changes or reduce spending elsewhere if the changes they had suggested would be insufficient.

Labour will not turn into Venezuela - and your suggestion that Venezuela had far sounder economic fundamentals than us is very strange.
  • Options
    Fat_SteveFat_Steve Posts: 361
    daodao said:

The YouGov poll (FPT) of Con 43%, Lab 38%, LD 10%, UKIP 4% still gives the Tories an overall majority of 20 with a net gain of 4 seats according to Electoral Calculus, so the Tories wouldn't lose. Only a few seats would change hands and Labour would also gain seats, with the parties suffering being the SNP, PC (no seats) and the LDs (a taxi would suffice for their remaining MPs).

Mrs May isn't politically savvy, but she would still be PM with a minimally increased majority, which should be sufficient for the next 4-5 years. It would serve her right for calling this unnecessary GE.

It is clear to me that overthrowing Gaddafi, fomented by the ConDem government a few years ago, has a direct bearing on the Manchester atrocity, so Corbyn is right in linking British foreign meddling to Islamist terrorism here.

No. Muslims in Britain, whether British born or not, blow up British people in Britain, just as Muslims in the Philippines or Nairobi blow people up, because to consider that non-muslims can be equal to Muslims.
  • Options
    Richard_H said:

In the latest Yougov poll Labour have a lead of 3% amongst Women voters. They might be concerned about funding for care, schools, NHS. Could we have a situation on polling day, similar to the US, where Women don't vote for a party with a Woman as leader ?

I suspect this Labour polling of 38% is a one off and that the Tory lead is double digits, with a majority of over 50 still most likely. But Tory central office must be concerned that the election campaign is not going as planned.

Welcome, Richard_H. I don't think CCHQ needed this poll to tell them that!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,682
    murali_s said:

Blue_rog said:

Tell that to the three dead Muslim policemen in Jakarta. Widen your horizons.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    I would love to know what labours private polling is telling them.

This foreign wars annoucement from corbyn seems to me to be targeted at his core vote.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    rkrkrk said:

ydoethur said:

They won't have any money to raise from taxes elsewhere. That is the problem. They have already pledged to sextuple government borrowing, and they have also said they will not raise taxes for most of the population (we know they're lying, but that's their claim).

Take their education policy for example. Pay for extra spending on state schools by raising taxes on private schools, including VAT on fees and business rates. Great idea in theory - until you realise the majority of private school children under those circumstances would have to go back to the state sector, and that most private schools pay business rates anyway. So what they are actually proposing is to massively increase costs, substantially increase pupil numbers and provide no additional funding whatsoever.

Just to say 'they won't let x happen, they'll pay for it somehow' is no guarantee it will happen. Look at the Chavez/Maduro government (which Corbyn and Macdonnell admire so much) which made very similar pledges to buy votes and has totally destroyed a country with far sounder economic fundamentals than we have.

I think we've had this discussion on private schools before. 20% VAT is not going to lead to most pupils dropping out of private school. Parents will pay more, schools will cut costs, parents will choose a cheaper private option, life will go on.

It seems obvious to me that it is possible for government to scrap tuition fees without bankrupting universities. Labour have proposed tax changes to pay for the policy. In government they would be able to make further tax changes or reduce spending elsewhere if the changes they had suggested would be insufficient.

Labour will not turn into Venezuela - and your suggestion that Venezuela had far sounder economic fundamentals than us is very strange.
    I find it worrying that most of Labours funding comes from a reversal in corporation tax. 19 bill raised? Never going to happen.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    ydoethur said:

Excuse me!

"We all thought" indeed!

I've been consistently predicting a 50-60 seat majority since the beginning...

• Options

rkrkrk said:

Theresa May is actively encouraging bankruptcy.

Rats! Rumbled!
    Okay I got a bit carried away there.
    But definitely - TM is hurting British universities with her aims to reduce foreign student numbers.

https://www.ft.com/content/a1b695da-07e7-11e7-97d1-5e720a26771b
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Morning all. Betfair has reacted to last night's poll, Con Majority now out to 1.17.
    Given what we know about the marginals and the UKIP vote, is there as high as a one in six chance the Tory seat numbers go backwards?
  • Options

ydoethur said:

murali_s said:

Blue_rog said:

Not that there is a particularly close relationship between the overall actions of "the West" and which countries are targeted by the Islamists.
    What about Belgium? Germany?

The fact that Islamists have been attacking the West since the early 90's (at least - arguably going back to the Rushdie fatwa) and long before recent interventions is conveniently ignored by those who use the Iraq war as a pretext.

Remember Corbyn opposed our interventions in Kosovo and Bosnia to help Muslims. Objectively, he was on the side of Mladic and co, on the side of those who committed Srebenica.

He opposes what the West does not because of its consequences but because it is the West doing it. That is his animating principle.

Check out the video of him blaming us for what happened on 7/7, for instance. Or him opposing any military action against IS to protect the Kurds and Yazidis.
  • Options

This foreign wars annoucement from corbyn seems to me to be targeted at his core vote.

It is far simpler than that. Jezza is just saying what he has always believed. He has a long and consistent opposition to Middle East interventions, and one that is now widely held. He is the Chauncy Gardner of Labour.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    100-124 seats majority is still favourite on betfair at around 11-2
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,980
    Cyclefree said:

Fat_Steve said:

murali_s said:

Blue_rog said:

Exactly. But the Left refuse to understand that ideology motivates these people and therefore refuse to take action against that ideology. That is the point the government needs to make.

When Labour people speak to segregated audiences at mosques which host hate preachers they are giving their tacit approval to the ideology which animates killers like Abedi. They are not challenging it.
    And that is one way in which that ideology spreads in this country and forms the sea in which the terrorist fish swim.

Unlike the Tories who happily bomb people in countries they know nothing about for spurious reasons and then wonder why people become terrorists.
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Is there any point at all in doing leader rating comparisons for people like Umunna or Yvette? Corbyn has had two leadership elections and two years at the helm, you'd think the public had a settled view on him by now, but no, the campaign changes things....

I doubt it's actually changed things.

What you are seeing is the tribal Labour voters who previously said Corbyn was a bad 'un (wasn't it almost 50% at one point?) backing "their team's guy"
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    rkrkrk said:

ydoethur said:

It seems obvious to me that you can’t set up a National Care Service with the 3 billion pounds stated in the manifesto.

300 k elderly people in residential care * 30k annual feels = 9 billion pounds. and that is without even costing the much larger number of elderly who need care in the home.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Sandpit said:

Morning all. Betfair has reacted to last night's poll, Con Majority now out to 1.17.
    Given what we know about the marginals and the UKIP vote, is there as high as a one in six chance the Tory seat numbers go backwards?

No. But I've "traded out" of next PM market. Fully intend to go back in but I've got a severe case of the weak and wobblies for the moment.
  • Options
    The possibility that Yougov may be unduly influenced by an influx of young Corbynites signing up to its online panel isn't to be discounted entirely. They are well organised and well motivated. Corroboration from another poll would be useful before moving too much money.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

It's a good thing I'm moving to Los Angeles. Enjoy life in Corbyn's Britain guys.

Enjoy the US tax net, buddy...

All those lovely ISAs and PFICs are worth nothing to you now...
  • Options
    I see the vapours are becoming a daily event for the Tory frothers as they see reality looming and their incompetent clay idols looking like they are out on their arses
  • Options
    MattyNethMattyNeth Posts: 60
    I would think Corbyn's speech will resonate with a public disgusted with recent events. Many will think (wrongly) that a change in foreign affairs will stop this happening again. That, and the reduction in police numbers which are real and under Mays watch.

Labour have seized the mantle for the young (tuition fees), the JAMS, middle classes under 80k salary and those with children about to go to uni. Crucially they have a guarantee for the elderly as well.

Its difficult to see how Cons can seize the narrative from here on out. We could see Labour 40% in the next few days, and then crossover with a week to go. I've just laid a Con overall majority accordingly quite heavily.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Freggles said:

But the question is only asking which would be the better, out of Corbyn and May? If Corbyn (whom we know) remains static and May falls backwards, then Corbyn appears to be improving.

It`s a silly question really, since it is only relative - a comparison with the alternative which I, for one, strongly dislike.
  • Options
    MattyNethMattyNeth Posts: 60
    Umm, still showing me as zero posts?!
  • Options

murali_s said:

Blue_rog said:

Tell that to the three dead Muslim policemen in Jakarta. Widen your horizons.
    CCHQ are struggling for good material for you these days. Are they too busy shredding.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    malcolmg said:

I see the vapours are becoming a daily event for the Tory frothers as they see reality looming and their incompetent clay idols looking like they are out on their arses

Can double our bet if you are feeling confident malc ?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    ydoethur said:

murali_s said:

Blue_rog said:

De Gaulle's idiotic behaviour in the Middle East during WW2. He stoked up the Arab-Israeli conflict to get at the Brits.

(Read "line in the sand" - excellent book)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Line-Sand-Britain-France-struggle-shaped-Middle/1847394574
  • Options

Morning all.

I’m quite warming to the idea of the cuddly old gent being PM, it’s a communist chancellor and a buffoon as home secretary that I find somewhat disquieting. Not going to happen tho.

Morning Simon, still hard to see them being worse than some of the donkeys in the Tory cabinet ( Abbot excepted ). Replacing dumb and nasty with dumb and dumber.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

Fat_Steve said:

murali_s said:

Blue_rog said:

Unlike the Tories who happily bomb people in countries they know nothing about for spurious reasons and then wonder why people become terrorists.
    I have consistently said that the way to defeat bad ideas is by better ideas not through bombs. But people like Corbyn don't even accept that these people have bad ideas.

If you genuinely believed in anti- racism, equality, gay rights, democracy and liberalism, why would you consistently cosy up to people who believe in none of these things?
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

ydoethur said:

I find it worrying that most of Labours funding comes from a reversal in corporation tax. 19 bill raised? Never going to happen.
    They will just do what the Tories do then, borrow more and put budget balance back another 5 or ten years.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    Lock her up!

If Theresa May screws this election up, especially if she reduces the Tory majority or makes Corbyn PM
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

malcolmg said:

Can double our bet if you are feeling confident malc ?
    What was it again
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    I have a feeling that PB will generate more heat than light today.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Charles said:

Freggles said:

I doubt it's actually changed things.

What you are seeing is the tribal Labour voters who previously said Corbyn was a bad 'un (wasn't it almost 50% at one point?) backing "their team's guy"
    Indeed, that’s also my reading of Corbyn’s improved leadership ratings, when push comes to shove, the quiet Labour protestors returned home, as I always suspected they would.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Has anybody here had any indication from their phone-banking/canvassing that the YouGOv poll is even remotely in the ball-park of bing right? It just seems to fly in the face of everything we hear from those who do post. The only way it makes any sense is if the Labour vote is becoming extremely inefficient in terms of seats.

I suppose it's possible that there is a cohort who are in safe Tory seats who never bothered to vote before, but who are enthused enough by the old Trot to want to stick two fingers up to the system and come out to vote for the first time in yonks. They already used to vote in the marginals...
  • Options
    BromptonautBromptonaut Posts: 1,113
    Cyclefree said:

malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

Fat_Steve said:

murali_s said:

Blue_rog said:

I have consistently said that the way to defeat bad ideas is by better ideas not through bombs. But people like Corbyn don't even accept that these people have bad ideas.

If you genuinely believed in anti- racism, equality, gay rights, democracy and liberalism, why would you consistently cosy up to people who believe in none of these things?
    "Cosy up" = "stop bombing them".
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

murali_s said:

Blue_rog said:

The fact that Islamists have been attacking the West since the early 90's (at least - arguably going back to the Rushdie fatwa) and long before recent interventions is conveniently ignored by those who use the Iraq war as a pretext.

Remember Corbyn opposed our interventions in Kosovo and Bosnia to help Muslims. Objectively, he was on the side of Mladic and co, on the side of those who committed Srebenica.

He opposes what the West does not because of its consequences but because it is the West doing it. That is his animating principle.

Check out the video of him blaming us for what happened on 7/7, for instance. Or him opposing any military action against IS to protect the Kurds and Yazidis.
    My second paragraph points out that there is a poor relationship between actions and retaliation. We all get tarred with the same brush.

Islamists need very little excuse to go on a killing spree, but we did give them a lot more space to operate by removing the secular nationalist leaders who kept the lid on them.

My view is a longer one. The collapse of Communism did the most to bring about the rise of Islamism. Islamism appeals to idealistic people who dislike the crass materialism of western culture, and who have been left behind by it economically and socially. 50 years ago these people would be Communists, now they are Islamists. It is the counter-culture of our times.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

No. But I've "traded out" of next PM market. Fully intend to go back in but I've got a severe case of the weak and wobblies for the moment.
    Keep the faith Mr P
  • Options

It seems obvious to me that you can’t set up a National Care Service with the 3 billion pounds stated in the manifesto.

300 k elderly people in residential care * 30k annual feels = 9 billion pounds. and that is without even costing the much larger number of elderly who need care in the home.

I don't know much about social care. But isn't it currently delivered by local authorities?
    So my thought was the £3bn was extra money - on top of what is currently spent.

Doing it nationally makes sense to me rather than relying on councils.
  • Options
    Richard_HRichard_H Posts: 48
    Freggles said:

ydoethur said:

murali_s said:

Blue_rog said:

France had colonies too, Algeria for one as mentioned.

Whether or not that's really at the root of it is irrelevant because we can't change the past. ISIS reference the Crusades a lot it seems, so I doubt a change now wouldd alter their world view.
    We should focus on community policing and high tech intelligence services, as well as looking at the legal framework again.
    The latest form of 'terrorist' act is just the modern version of what has been happening over thousands of years. Humans and indeed animals have programming built in for conflict. It is how you deal with this behaviour and there is no right answer. War tends to offer what we think might be a quite solution, but actually it just fuels hostilities that can go on for a very long time.

After WW2 Europe came together and through institutions that enabled working together, we generally have had peaceful times, good ecomomic prosperity and good living standards for most people, compared to other continents. The big challenge for politicians now is not to seek isolation behind closed borders and to stop working together, as that just might make the situation a whole lot worse.

You can't bolt the stable door now, because most countries in Europe and elsewhere have residents who might at some point commit a terrorist act. All you can do is invest in sufficient security and work very closely with international colleagues. With modern technology the big terrorist networks are communicating with each other out of sight of security services. Much of the intelligence is only gathered after people have come under radar of Police/Security Services or after a committing crime or terrorist act. Given the number of people that have committed terrorist acts after already been known to Security Services, it suggests that Government have not done enough in providing resources and adequate law.
  • Options
    MattyNeth said:

I would think Corbyn's speech will resonate with a public disgusted with recent events. Many will think (wrongly) that a change in foreign affairs will stop this happening again. That, and the reduction in police numbers which are real and under Mays watch.

Labour have seized the mantle for the young (tuition fees), the JAMS, middle classes under 80k salary and those with children about to go to uni. Crucially they have a guarantee for the elderly as well.

Its difficult to see how Cons can seize the narrative from here on out. We could see Labour 40% in the next few days, and then crossover with a week to go. I've just laid a Con overall majority accordingly quite heavily.

Blimey
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

The next Ipsos MORI leader ratings should tell us a lot.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Compare and contrast a former cabinet member with the current party leader

https://twitter.com/d_g_alexander/status/867994916789657601
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    ydoethur said:

YouGov was one of 7 pollsters to get the referendum right within the margin of error.

• Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Lock her up!

If Theresa May screws this election up, especially if she reduces the Tory majority or makes Corbyn PM

Do not worry. LABOUR CANNOT WIN. CORBYN WILL NOT BE PM !!!!!!!!!!!

Just vote Labour [ or, LD or SNP ] to keep the May majority under 100.
  • Options

Has anybody here had any indication from their phone-banking/canvassing that the YouGOv poll is even remotely in the ball-park of bing right? It just seems to fly in the face of everything we hear from those who do post. The only way it makes any sense is if the Labour vote is becoming extremely inefficient in terms of seats.

I suppose it's possible that there is a cohort who are in safe Tory seats who never bothered to vote before, but who are enthused enough by the old Trot to want to stick two fingers up to the system and come out to vote for the first time in yonks. They already used to vote in the marginals...
    I think you may well be right about the increased Labour turnout in safe Tory seats.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, Nicola's brand of joyous and civic Nationalism is in full flow

https://twitter.com/stephenckerr/status/867879368563011584
  • Options
    booksellerbookseller Posts: 421

Cyclefree said:

My second paragraph points out that there is a poor relationship between actions and retaliation. We all get tarred with the same brush.

Islamists need very little excuse to go on a killing spree, but we did give them a lot more space to operate by removing the secular nationalist leaders who kept the lid on them.

My view is a longer one. The collapse of Communism did the most to bring about the rise of Islamism. Islamism appeals to idealistic people who dislike the crass materialism of western culture, and who have been left behind by it economically and socially. 50 years ago these people would be Communists, now they are Islamists. It is the counter-culture of our times.
    The Counter Culture argument is a good one - there is a powerful 'stick it to the man' zeitgeist which reared its head during Brexit and Trump. It's still there. One narrative in this election is that because Corbyn seems to be the one who winds up the establishment the most, he's the one to plump for, for maximum 'two fingers' effect. This is coming mostly from people who would have been natural LibDem voters ten years ago (anti-war) but the Tories now need to hold on to the pro-Brexit voters who were naturally Labour ten years ago.

But the other zeitgeist present (amongst the more politically engaged) is "we need grown ups in charge". That's why May swept in and appeared 'strong and stable' after the naughty schoolboys Gove and Boris smashed up all the windows. May suddenly looks weak, and Corbyn's speech on foreign wars fits suddenly looks like the grown up position. Labour are playing a blinder.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

murali_s said:

Blue_rog said:

d.

And home-grown, as distinct from externally organised, terrorist attacks have become hugely more frequent since Iraq and Afghanistan, as the planners of 9/11 doubtless intended. If we believe the claims of MI5, someone now has a go at planning something every few weeks.

The 'Belgium/Sweden' argument is a nonsense. If you are a disaffected radicalised youth, you are going to act in your home environment, with which you are familiar and where you are more likely to succeed. No-one is masterminding this with a central list of targets. The fact that your own western country hasn't itself dropped any bombs doesn't detract from the proposition that western interventions in multiple Muslim countries (did not create the threat but) has fuelled the terrorist threat.
  • Options
    I wonder how all those (PB) Tories that voted for Corbyn to become leader in 2015 are feeling today ?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

Fat_Steve said:

murali_s said:

Blue_rog said:

Islamism is wrong on many things, and I think that Islam is systematically misogynistic, homophobic and has a low threshold for violence.

However, it is not as simple as that. Islamism appeals by building a social network, including education, and a subsistence level of welfare, as well as social traditions to a bring back a "golden age". In this it has a lot in common with similar reactionary populist movements in western countries, with their social conservatism and nostalgic longing for a return to social stability. Kippers and Islamists have more in common than appears on the surface.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

ydoethur said:

YouGov was one of 7 pollsters to get the referendum right within the margin of error.

Con 46 Lb 35 would still be within the margin of error on the YouGov poll. Which would still be a very bad day at the office for Labour.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

In 2010, I recall 210-215 was the spread for Labour right until the end. Labour won 258 seats.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

murali_s said:

Blue_rog said:

I disagree, Islamists don't even know what communism is. Its easy to read too much into a situation.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

In 2010, I recall 210-215 was the spread for Labour right until the end. Labour won 258 seats.
    The spreads are almost always wrong. Betting is only objective when the punters don't care (non-financially) about the outcome.
  • Options
    tim80tim80 Posts: 99

I wonder how all those (PB) Tories that voted for Corbyn to become leader in 2015 are feeling today ?

Presumably pleased.

The Tories are headed for a large majority and it's in. O small measure due to Corbyn's weakness.

Some people on here need to get a grip.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    @Foxinsox - I think your counterculture argument is too western-orientated. A more important cause for the rise of Islamism in the Middle East is the failure of pan-Arab Nationalism. Western foreign policy was hostile to pan-Arab Nationalism. Would the world be safer had pan-Arab Nationalism been successful? I don't know. It would certainly be different and not have so much Islamist terrorism, but who knows what might have happened.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031
    Foreign interventions are just an excuse for the terrorists. Islamic terrorism was on the rise well before 9/11: USS Cole and the US embassy bombings being examples that killed hundred of people on the most spurious of reasons.

They will always find excuses, whatever we do. It's sad that people aid them by blaming ourselves, rather than their sick ideology.
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299
    Crap manifesto, no vision, no optimism. Agent Timothy's dementia bomb.
    Crap campaign, totally uninspiring. TMay not living up to expectations
    Likely to win small rather than big, which defeats the pronounced object of the election and actively undermines her position in the Brexit negotiations.

All disspiritingg stuff

On the plus side its sunny and a bank holiday weekend. Happy Friday all
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,241
    What recent elections have shown us is that the public mood is fickle and can swing significantly as the campaign reaches the closing stages. In 2015 I was convinced Labour would win going off what we were hearing on the doors. Right up until the final week when "Milliband will be the SNP puppet" resonated hard. Tory voters came flooding back and surprised everyone including the Tories.

With the referendum it was a remain win on paper despite hearing a lot of leave voters on the doors. The late surge of leave caught the pollsters and bookies with their pants down.

And now we have 2017. The CORBYN CAN'T WIN election. He can't win. He won't win. Until he wins. Because if you set aside the can't win won't win mantra, it's clear that he is winning:
    1. Labour manifesto offering a positive vision for the future. A hope manifesto with free puppies for all
    2. Tory manifesto offers no vision other than mean-minded snatching of homes and the slow death of public services and civic society.
    3. Two million people added themselves to the electoral register by the deadline. They aren't Tory voters
    4. Tory campaign was Strong and Stable. And unwilling to speak to people. Has now become Incoherent and Running Scared. And unable to talk to people. A campaign that only works when Jezza can't win and won't win. But what if he can...?

I entered this campaign expecting one of two results : a Tory majority of 50 or a Tory majority of 150. But I can't deny what I can see and touch - a Labour surge that grows exponentially each day and a Tory cataclysm of a campaign that makes voting for them look increasingly like an act of self harm.

Despite all that, common sense still suggests a Tory win. But what if common sense isn't what the silent majority who delivered a Tory win against expectations are wanting now? After a decade of crippling austerity the promise of worse to come doesn't look as attractive as free puppies with Corbyn
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

murali_s said:

Blue_rog said:

The fact that

I disagree, Islamists don't even know what communism is. Its easy to read too much into a situation.
    Islamism and Communism are not the same (Islamism more closely resembles Facism), but both put a systematic philosophy to otherwise poorly focussed anger and grievance. Both appeal for solidarity, community, and against the corrupt secular politics of the Establishment.

The patricians sit in their gilded fortresses while the unruly plebs storm the palaces, twas ever thus.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Lock her up!

Do not worry. LABOUR CANNOT WIN. CORBYN WILL NOT BE PM !!!!!!!!!!!

Just vote Labour [ or, LD or SNP ] to keep the May majority under 100.
    Do you understand the concept of "tail risk"

Humans are not good at assessing low probability / massive impact risks.

Corbyn is one
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,629
    rkrkrk said:

ydoethur said:

'Venezuela' is clearly hyperbole, though the grandiose policies come from the same mindset.
    If Corbn were to get in, then 70s Britain is probably closer to the mark.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

murali_s said:

Blue_rog said:

The fact that

Islamism and Communism are not the same (Islamism more closely resembles Facism), but both put a systematic philosophy to otherwise poorly focussed anger and grievance. Both appeal for solidarity, community, and against the corrupt secular politics of the Establishment.

The patricians sit in their gilded fortresses while the unruly plebs storm the palaces, twas ever thus.
    There is no difference between fascism and communism
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,128
    Isn't the crucial question whether the narrowing of the Conservative lead is (1) a trend that will continue in the next few weeks, or (2) a reaction to specific past events that has run its course?

To my mind, those Corbyn "best PM" ratings make it look more like a trend.
  • Options

Foreign interventions are just an excuse for the terrorists. Islamic terrorism was on the rise well before 9/11: USS Cole and the US embassy bombings being examples that killed hundred of people on the most spurious of reasons.

They will always find excuses, whatever we do. It's sad that people aid them by blaming ourselves, rather than their sick ideology.

You should watch last nights edition of This Week, the first guest was an expert on terrorism who referenced those events I think.
  • Options

Maybe channeling their inner Hannibal Smith and saying 'I love it when a plan comes together'

• Options
    @BBCNormanS: Jeremy Corbyn will pledge to be "tough on terrorism ; tough on the causes of terrorism" #ge17 #blair
  • Options

One of the few positives of PM Corbyn is the lesson they would learn
  • Options
    Although its unlikely I'm beginning to warm to the idea of PM Corbyn, the fall out on here would dwarf that after the referendum, which was pure entertainment.
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299

What recent elections have shown us is that the public mood is fickle and can swing significantly as the campaign reaches the closing stages. In 2015 I was convinced Labour would win going off what we were hearing on the doors. Right up until the final week when "Milliband will be the SNP puppet" resonated hard. Tory voters came flooding back and surprised everyone including the Tories.

With the referendum it was a remain win on paper despite hearing a lot of leave voters on the doors. The late surge of leave caught the pollsters and bookies with their pants down.

And now we have 2017. The CORBYN CAN'T WIN election. He can't win. He won't win. Until he wins. Because if you set aside the can't win won't win mantra, it's clear that he is winning:
    1. Labour manifesto offering a positive vision for the future. A hope manifesto with free puppies for all
    2. Tory manifesto offers no vision other than mean-minded snatching of homes and the slow death of public services and civic society.
    3. Two million people added themselves to the electoral register by the deadline. They aren't Tory voters
    4. Tory campaign was Strong and Stable. And unwilling to speak to people. Has now become Incoherent and Running Scared. And unable to talk to people. A campaign that only works when Jezza can't win and won't win. But what if he can...?

I entered this campaign expecting one of two results : a Tory majority of 50 or a Tory majority of 150. But I can't deny what I can see and touch - a Labour surge that grows exponentially each day and a Tory cataclysm of a campaign that makes voting for them look increasingly like an act of self harm.

Despite all that, common sense still suggests a Tory win. But what if common sense isn't what the silent majority who delivered a Tory win against expectations are wanting now? After a decade of crippling austerity the promise of worse to come doesn't look as attractive as free puppies with Corbyn

_------;;

Rochdale P, as a Tory voter i fear your analysis is bang on the money . i am very concerned.
This discussion has been closed.