Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on GE2017 looking a bit more competitive and TMay’s “soci

Comments

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,257

chloe said:

chloe said:

Pulpstar said:

chloe said:

Do people think Corbyn is going to win the election now?

No. But remember the only poll that counts is the one on June 8th
    snip
    They were going for the strong and stable narrative: look at me, I'm different from that loony Mr Corbyn because I'm taking difficult decisions to long term problems and he's promising you the moon on a stick.

As a tactic, certainly fits into the brave or stupid category. I suspect the latter. They thought it would show a maturity and responsible attitude, but they forgot just how emotive the issue is to middle England. Yes, we all know the systems broke, yes, we all know that deep down other than funding care through general taxation there is going to have to be some utilisation of the users assets, but an Englishmans home is his castle and people get very upset about hearing anything that sounds like a death duty or raid on your property. It's in the national psyche.
    True but how do older people expect care to be paid? By working age people who cannot even get onto the housing ladder or benefit from generous pensions? There is an issue with this country about intwr-generational fairness that we need to consider. I'm not saying that the original Conservative proposal is necessarily the answer but the care users assets have to be a consideration.
    I agree with the broad thrust of what you're saying - I suspect a lot of people would.

But it's the emotional issue. People fear death taxes. A lot of people fear the concept when they actually sit below the threshold.

The NHS is another emotive subject. Most people know, deep down, the system is unsustainable but any reform is terrifying - particularly to the left -and you cannot touch it without causing a disturbance in the force.
    Part of the problem was the visceral feeling that this is about loss of control of your home.

Most people had no idea your home comes into play as an asset, before you die, when you need residential social care. Then they get told that their home is going to come into play as an asset even when they are still living in it. So the council will be setting a Charge on it as soon as the bills for home visits start rolling in.

So, you've told people about a scary thing that they didn't know about and then said it will be scarier under our new shiny system.

And then to add some salt into a gaping wound - you imply that possibly it wont be the council but private insurance companies.

Five minutes of road-testing this on PB on Wednesday evening before they pressed 'Print' would have saved them almost throwing the GE away.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    scotslass said:

ICM cross breaks would have the SNP at 53 seats - just saying!

Yougov and Survation certainly wouldn't and even ICM had the SNP down 4% to 46%
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Five minutes of road-testing this on PB on Wednesday evening before they pressed 'Print' would have saved them almost throwing the GE away.

Heck, five minutes of consulting with the Cabinet would have been enough.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Yorkcity said:

The election campaign in 1987 was generally regarded as having been won decisively by Labour. It featured slick and professional election broadcasts, such as 'Kinnock the Movie', directed by Colin Welland. The campaign was led by Bryan Gould and a young Peter Mandelson. And yet, it appears to have made f-all difference to the result.

TMay's denial today that she had made a u-turn was one of the most embarrassing performances I've ever seen from a PM (a little reminiscent to my mind of Gordon Brown's denial that the polling was what lay behind his decision not to have an election in 2007). And yet, ultimately, I don't think it'll make any difference to the fact that Labour are heading for a shattering defeat.

Very much agree.Makes you wonder why the angst from Conservatives .Surely their internal polls are telling that they are heading for 150 maj and social care will not change that.
    Tories - too much in touch with their inner bedwetters.
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308

chloe said:

chloe said:

Pulpstar said:

chloe said:

I do wonder what May was thinking of with the social care policy. It does need tacking and complete state support isn't the answer. I suppose at least it has sparked a debate about that needs to happen but in an election campaign when you have a substantial lead?
    They were going for the strong and stable narrative: look at me, I'm different from that loony Mr Corbyn because I'm taking difficult decisions to long term problems and he's promising you the moon on a stick.

As a tactic, certainly fits into the brave or stupid category. I suspect the latter. They thought it would show a maturity and responsible attitude, but they forgot just how emotive the issue is to middle England. Yes, we all know the systems broke, yes, we all know that deep down other than funding care through general taxation there is going to have to be some utilisation of the users assets, but an Englishmans home is his castle and people get very upset about hearing anything that sounds like a death duty or raid on your property. It's in the national psyche.
    True but how do older people expect care to be paid? By working age people who cannot even get onto the housing ladder or benefit from generous pensions? There is an issue with this country about intwr-generational fairness that we need to consider. I'm not saying that the original Conservative proposal is necessarily the answer but the care users assets have to be a consideration.
    I agree with the broad thrust of what you're saying - I suspect a lot of people would.

But it's the emotional issue. People fear death taxes. A lot of people fear the concept when they actually sit below the threshold.

The NHS is another emotive subject. Most people know, deep down, the system is unsustainable but any reform is terrifying - particularly to the left -and you cannot touch it without causing a disturbance in the force.
    We can't avoid emotive issues though. We have to put all public services on a sustainable footing.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    Sean_F said:

justin124 said:

ab195 said:

Looking forward to the Shipman book on this election, especially the plot twist half way through when Nick Timothy has to go crawling on bended knee to Crosby and ask him to take charge.

So far this election reminds me of '87.

Conservatives in good spirits heading into campaign, but cracks begin to emerge as PM is kept away from voters and Labour score some hits. Polls tighten. People get pinned up against walls with hysterical screaming that they're losing the election. Tories unleash tsunami of 'cling to nurse' campaigning in the closing stages and romp home with comfortable majority.

But will history repeat itself for the PMs fortunes in the following parliament?
    But the panic in 1987 was just a week before polling day in response to a rogue Gallup Poll showing the Tory lead at just 4%.
    There were a number of polls in mid single figures that gave Conservatives the jitters in 1987.
    Indeed:

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/voting-intention-1983-1987

and some single figure leads in 1983 (interestingly at about the same time in the campaign as now):

http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/voting-intention-1979-1983
  • Options
    @another_richard - here's hoping for some much needed swingback! :p
  • Options
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Important news in the Midlands.

Labour have given up on Cannock Chase and clearly expect Milling to hold very easily.

Corbyn is coming here to campaign tomorrow.

By contrast Philip Hammond has been in Bolsover today and Damian Green in Don Valley:

https://twitter.com/aaron4donvalley
    https://twitter.com/helenharrisonuk?lang=en

It doesn't look like the Conservative targeting is changing.
    Time will tell if that changes.
    It would be helpful if someone kept a track of their movements.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289
    AnneJGP said:

chloe said:

chloe said:

Pulpstar said:

chloe said:

I do wonder what May was thinking of with the social care policy. It does need tacking and complete state support isn't the answer. I suppose at least it has sparked a debate about that needs to happen but in an election campaign when you have a substantial lead?

Of course they do. I find it really hard to understand why so many people are so set against using what they have managed to save to pay for their needs in later life.

There is something so self-absorbed in considering only one's own family at the expense of other young people.
    All the politicians know that tapping into the windfall wealth of property equity is going to be inevitable, given that the other solutions to funding the growing costs of health and care are all worse. The LibDems tried proposing the Mansion Tax. Then Labour with its Estate Levy. Now the Tories with care charges. Each time the proposals get savaged by the other parties. Yet sooner or later it has to happen.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    I've shifted my green on Betfair (183£) to 0-9 seats Lib Dems.

Utterly invisible. Will try and help Clegg save his seat next weekend, I think its a 3 way marginal :/
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Yorkcity said:

Very much agree.Makes you wonder why the angst from Conservatives .Surely their internal polls are telling that they are heading for 150 maj and social care will not change that.

My theory, and it echoes opinion here, is that they fear that the polls are too good to be true. We have seen polls where the Tories are reported to have twice the share of Labour, would you believe that? Funnily enough, now that Labour are gaining share the Tory share looks more believable.

So they panicked because they couldn't believe they are doing as well as the polls say.

Of course we will never know if the polls were right during the campaign, even if they do get the final result right. It will remain one of those unknowable things, was there a point where the Tories could have utterly crushed Labour?
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    RobD said:

Yes even I feel sorry that they sent out cabinet ministers out on Sunday to say there would be no change under any circumstances .You could see even under questioning from Marr he was gulping for breath sweating and nervous.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289

ydoethur said:

Labour have given up on Cannock Chase and clearly expect Milling to hold very easily.

By contrast Philip Hammond has been in Bolsover today and Damian Green in Don Valley:

They make promises and arrangements are made, both locally and HQ. It would be unrealistic to expect schedules to be changed at a day or two's notice.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

RobD said:

Yes even I feel sorry that they sent out cabinet ministers out on Sunday to say there would be no change under any circumstances .You could see even under questioning from Marr he was gulping for breath sweating and nervous.
    Yes, why in god's name didn't they start trailing the cap then? "Yes, there will be a maximum amount, and that will be consulted on in the green paper, but the fundamental principle remains to ensure social care is on a sure footing for the next X years."
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Pulpstar said:

Utterly invisible. Will try and help Clegg save his seat next weekend, I think its a 3 way marginal :/

Noooooo - think of us who are on the Blue crew at 14s or something with someone, can't remember as not expecting to collect!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Each time the proposals get savaged by the other parties. Yet sooner or later it has to happen.

I note very little attacks by the Conservatives on the Lib Dem plan to roll back the IHT changes this time round. Perhaps that is just a sleeping dogs angle but yes the system is bursting and something has to be done.
  • Options

chestnut said:

Further: Latest Results Compared to FINAL CALL YG in 2015

North Wales:....... Con 37 (+8) Lab 42 (+1) - swing to Con 3.5%
    Mid and West:..... Con 39 (+12) Lab 29 (+4) - swing to Con 4%
    SE:...................... Con 39 (+19) Lab 38 (-9) - swing to Con 14%
    Cardiff and Sth:... Con 30 (+5) Lab 53 (+16) - swing to Lab 5.5%
    SW:...................... Con 26 (+6) Lab 56 (+9) - swing to Lab 1.5%

Food for thought.

Only subsamples but you would expect Labour to be doing better in metropolitan Cardiff to the English border areas where UKIP were strong.

So those numbers make sense.
    Errr... The SE is the English border areas.

UKIP were strong in the SE and Cardiff and the South. One is swinging 14 % to the Tories, one 5.5 per cent to Labour.

The numbers clearly are just dominated by sampling noise,

The crucial thing for Labour, by the way, is what is the swing in the NE were there are the 4 most vulnerable seats.
    UKIP did significantly better in the Newport constituencies than those in Cardiff.
  • Options

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

I'm just waiting for Corbs to turn up here in Buckingham!
  • Options

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

Where he can do the least harm? :D
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

They make promises and arrangements are made, both locally and HQ. It would be unrealistic to expect schedules to be changed at a day or two's notice.
    It'd be daft too - why would the policy cause Bolsover and Don Valley to become any less likely ?
    Alot of the Con votes 'lost' here will be to DNV in the Home counties. Probably reappear on election day.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,287
    RobD said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

You mean - he can't cost Labour votes as they're not standing?

Or were you thinking he might campaign for Bercow?

More seriously, it is high time and long overdue that the Speaker was not a member for a Parliamentary constituency.
  • Options

The election campaign in 1987 was generally regarded as having been won decisively by Labour. It featured slick and professional election broadcasts, such as 'Kinnock the Movie', directed by Colin Welland. The campaign was led by Bryan Gould and a young Peter Mandelson. And yet, it appears to have made f-all difference to the result.

TMay's denial today that she had made a u-turn was one of the most embarrassing performances I've ever seen from a PM (a little reminiscent to my mind of Gordon Brown's denial that the polling was what lay behind his decision not to have an election in 2007). And yet, ultimately, I don't think it'll make any difference to the fact that Labour are heading for a shattering defeat.

I would say it did make a difference to the result as it helped Labour beat the Alliance - something which had been in doubt at the start of the election campaign.

Likewise Labour are having a much better campaign than the LibDems this year - although ironically Labour are likely to lose MPs and the LibDems to gain them.
    Which seats are the LibDems going to gain?
    Probably two or three in Scotland.
    Possibly Twickenham and Richmond Park.
    Maybe Cambridge.

The over/under markets are suggest a few net gains for the LibDems.

It is possible though that the LibDems lose seats overall.
  • Options
  • Options
    If anything they are buying ads to get people to read about it!
  • Options

I would say it did make a difference to the result as it helped Labour beat the Alliance - something which had been in doubt at the start of the election campaign.

Likewise Labour are having a much better campaign than the LibDems this year - although ironically Labour are likely to lose MPs and the LibDems to gain them.
    Maybe Cambridge.

If I'm honest, I can't see Cable retaking Twickenham. Cambridge looks possible.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2017
    IanB2 said:

AnneJGP said:

chloe said:

chloe said:

Pulpstar said:

chloe said:

Of course they do. I find it really hard to understand why so many people are so set against using what they have managed to save to pay for their needs in later life.

There is something so self-absorbed in considering only one's own family at the expense of other young people.
    All the politicians know that tapping into the windfall wealth of property equity is going to be inevitable, given that the other solutions to funding the growing costs of health and care are all worse. The LibDems tried proposing the Mansion Tax. Then Labour with its Estate Levy. Now the Tories with care charges. Each time the proposals get savaged by the other parties. Yet sooner or later it has to happen.
    Some kind of social care levy on inheritances/trust funds might be the least unpalatable solution. Alternatively, just treat gifts/inheritances as income & tax it.

If there was an easy/painless solution, it would have already been implemented.

Reforming social care is all about identifying what is politically possible.
  • Options
    RobD said:

yup - it's wrong on many levels.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

He might be here for a fortnight is what I'm worried about.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Maybe Cambridge.

Labour retreads didn't do too well in 2015. Not sure the LibDems will do any better.

I expect Zac to be returned as an MP, with a majority of several thousand.

And I do wonder if Scotland is going to be surprisingly little changed....
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    RobD said:

But there's still Thanet to come at some point... the timing on that could be critical to momentum (both types).
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

chestnut said:

Further: Latest Results Compared to FINAL CALL YG in 2015

North Wales:....... Con 37 (+8) Lab 42 (+1) - swing to Con 3.5%
    Mid and West:..... Con 39 (+12) Lab 29 (+4) - swing to Con 4%
    SE:...................... Con 39 (+19) Lab 38 (-9) - swing to Con 14%
    Cardiff and Sth:... Con 30 (+5) Lab 53 (+16) - swing to Lab 5.5%
    SW:...................... Con 26 (+6) Lab 56 (+9) - swing to Lab 1.5%

Food for thought.

Only subsamples but you would expect Labour to be doing better in metropolitan Cardiff to the English border areas where UKIP were strong.

So those numbers make sense.
    Errr... The SE is the English border areas.

UKIP were strong in the SE and Cardiff and the South. One is swinging 14 % to the Tories, one 5.5 per cent to Labour.

The numbers clearly are just dominated by sampling noise,

The crucial thing for Labour, by the way, is what is the swing in the NE were there are the 4 most vulnerable seats.
    UKIP did significantly better in the Newport constituencies than those in Cardiff.
    I agree with you that the key is what is happening to the UKIP vote.

Newport (or Blaenau Gwent, the largest Leave in Wales) are in the SE. According to this poll, it is swinging 14 per cent to the Tories. Big leave votes in the valleys North of Cardiff, in Caerffili and in Cynon Valley, but these must be in “Cardiff and the South” which is swinging 5 per cent to Labour. The numbers make no sense.

What we do know is Cardiff (the only Labour Remain seats in Wales) will behave differently to the rest of Wales. Cardiff Central looks safe for Labour.

Although Cardiff generally was pretty good for Labour in the locals, they lost councillors in Cardiff North, so I think the Tories will hold it.

The North Wales swing (if you believe it) will cause seats like Wrexham to fall.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    TudorRose said:

RobD said:

But there's still Thanet to come at some point... the timing on that could be critical to momentum (both types).
    That would have been the ultimate dead cat. It's due on or before June 1st, if they got the one-year extension on June 1st 2016.

Edit: If he is implicated, Timothy has to go.
  • Options

Maybe Cambridge.

Loss:
    Carshalton, Southport (No incumbency). (6)
    Probable Loss:
    North Norfolk (Lamb may JUST be the one MP who can benefit from the shift to care here) (5.5)

Edinburgh West,
    E Dunbartonshire maybe ? (7.5)

I'm genuinely not sure about Cambridge (0.5 of a gain) - I reckon it may well be where the Labour vote is UP. Similiarly for Bermondsey. Biggest Lib/Lab swing in Hornsey but quite likely not enough. Cardiff Central no chance on the Welsh polls, similiarly not much hope for anything in the Southwest (Brexit has killed Tim there).

Richmond Park/Twickenham - I'd have to say Tory right now to be perfectly frank. Perhaps one of the two.
    One of Hallam, Leeds NW or even Westmorland to go.

So I'd set the u/o line at 9.5, 9 or under was 3.6 which is a big price.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    edited May 2017
    TudorRose said:

RobD said:

And Nick Timothy was also entangled in the fun in South Thanet.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/16/pms-chief-of-staff-embroiled-in-south-thanet-election-spending-row

Nick Timothy the anti-Midas?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,257
    Pong said:

IanB2 said:

AnneJGP said:

chloe said:

chloe said:

Pulpstar said:

chloe said:

snip

Some kind of social care levy on inheritances/trust funds might be the least unpalatable solution. Alternatively, just treat gifts/inheritances as income & tax it.

Which is worse, 10% levy on all estates, or 100% levy (above £100K) on the estates of the unlucky? Plus the latter get to worry about their house being snatched whilst they are still alive, never mind their partner.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Pulpstar said:

0-10 is 5/4 from 7/4 at 365. If it's goes odds on I think I'll cash out. Or part cash out.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    AnneJGP said:

chloe said:

chloe said:

Pulpstar said:

chloe said:

The sad thing is that as soon as someone tries to tackle the massive issue of inter generational fairness, they have to turn back. But i'm not sure if May has actually turned back, she is adding more detail to the policy. It is very bold to spend political capital to try and address these difficult problems, she deserves more credit for it.
    Labour on the other hand are offering a manifesto where pensioners are yet another recipent of unlimited and unfunded free stuff.

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963

Which is worse, 10% levy on all estates, or 100% levy (above £100K) on the estates of the unlucky? Plus the latter get to worry about their house being snatched whilst they are still alive, never mind their partner.

Nope the latter do not. The policy is very clear that nothing changes with the estate until they and their partner are deceased. Unlike the present situation where people are forced to sell their houses when they go into a care home.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    first my barnacle comment gets used shortly after I post here and now this point I've been banging on about here is used by kipper man

https://twitter.com/oflynnmep/status/866759592793047040
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

ydoethur said:

If you were simply to add up the Con/UKIP vote share and the Lab/LibDem/Green vote share per constituency, from 2015, the right wing bloc would win about 360 seats, and the left wing bloc about 210. It makes sense for the Conservatives to target seats with big UKIP votes.
  • Options
    Interesting front page by the Express, love the juxtaposition

https://twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/866759299585978368
  • Options

But that's the change this policy is proposing. Instead of taking it while alive, it becomes chargeable after death. So your question is therefore based on a false premise and actually implies the reverse of the reality.

Probably not really a smart idea to follow the comments of fluent and not very bright liars like Corbyn and Lucas when critiquing a policy from their opponents!
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    edited May 2017
    Pong said:

IanB2 said:

AnneJGP said:

chloe said:

chloe said:

Pulpstar said:

chloe said:

All of the reform options available are both unpopular and capable of being easily rubbished by political opponents for political advantage. Softly, softly has to be the order of the day and May used a huge stick. Up to now I thought she might make a reasonable fist of Brexit negotiations, now I'm not so sure. What I am sure of is that Corbyn would be far more inept than May with brain freeze, since he doesn't appear to possess a functioning brain.
  • Options
    lets see if my fantasy powers extend further....

'Gareth, it's time to come home, well to Wembley but only for a while and then home a year later, well it's still sort of home but it's new'......
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    TudorRose said:

RobD said:

Depending on your speech impediment, several swearing expressions can sound like "Thanet"
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,631

TudorRose said:

RobD said:

And Nick Timothy was also entangled in the fun in South Thanet.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/16/pms-chief-of-staff-embroiled-in-south-thanet-election-spending-row

Nick Timothy the anti-Midas?
    Was he also the man behind the Hinckley Point decision ?

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Top of the Telegraph unhelpful for Mrs May and The Tories, middle part, very helpful

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/866762014558998528
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Reviewing my 2017 betting position - am cashing out in a few Scottish constituencies but I'm just reviewing the SCon line

I got on > 9.5seats @ 15
    And lead off to free bet level <9.5seats @ 1.28

Will Hill have no significantly moved. The over/under is 8.5 @ 1.83 either way. I was going to lay off another £100s worth of profit but with the line moved I can no longer do it risk free :disappointed:
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

first my barnacle comment gets used shortly after I post here and now this point I've been banging on about here is used by kipper man

The man can't even fill out his tax return properly.

And he still isn't the worst member of the front bench.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    meow splat

[deleted]

bloody scottp, just once!

Mind you I got the welsh poll tweet out before him...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    Tim_B said:

TudorRose said:

RobD said:

Depending on your speech impediment, several swearing expressions can sound like "Thanet"
    On that subject, Theresa May seems to contract some words to odd effect. She kept on saying that the care system will 'claps' without intervention, and likes to talk about the 'plice' service.
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299
    Brutal brutal 10pm news for May and Tories. BBC putting the boot in
  • Options

Brutal brutal 10pm news for May and Tories. BBC putting the boot in

Just had Sir Andrew Dilnot on saying he welcomed the change, with an earlier clip of Corbyn and Prescott
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Pong said:

IanB2 said:

AnneJGP said:

chloe said:

chloe said:

Pulpstar said:

chloe said:

They were going for the strong and stable narrative: look at me, I'm different from that loony Mr Corbyn because I'm taking difficult decisions t about hearing anything that sounds like a death duty or raid on your property. It's in the national psyche.
    snip

The second point is not correct. The house would not be sold. The Council would take a legal charge.

My guess is that a 10% charge on all estates would cause a shitstorm. My preference would be to eliminate almost all reliefs and exemptions for IHT, and cut the rate to 20%. But, the losers would howl.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    chestnut said:

No absolutely, Liz Truss is godawful..
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    RobD said:

Lol. Yes. Read about the Tories' Dementia Tax at conservatives.com/dementiatax
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @jimwaterson: People say George Osborne isn't a proper journalist but here he is screwing over ex-colleagues in order to get maxi… https://twitter.com/i/web/status/866762555720704000
  • Options
    chestnut said:

If they'd had Diane Abbott do the counting he would have won convincingly.
  • Options

Maybe Cambridge.

Labour retreads didn't do too well in 2015. Not sure the LibDems will do any better.

I expect Zac to be returned as an MP, with a majority of several thousand.

And I do wonder if Scotland is going to be surprisingly little changed....
    I think you're likely to be right.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Was that the ex IRA (wo)man who is now a Tory councillor perchance?
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Alistair said:

Reviewing my 2017 betting position - am cashing out in a few Scottish constituencies but I'm just reviewing the SCon line

I got on > 9.5seats @ 15
    And lead off to free bet level <9.5seats @ 1.28

Will Hill have no significantly moved. The over/under is 8.5 @ 1.83 either way. I was going to lay off another £100s worth of profit but with the line moved I can no longer do it risk free :disappointed: </p>

Sounds like you're in good shape overall though. :)
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    Quite a brutal analysis of the Tories' failings from Peston on the ITV news just now. If May sticks with negativity and fear, the election narrative might mirror the Brexit vote.
  • Options

chestnut said:

No absolutely, Liz Truss is godawful..
    I will give you that one. :smiley:
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Was that the ex IRA (wo)man who is now a Tory councillor perchance?
    Ah you must be from the SNP then I take it?
  • Options

Yorkcity said:

Doorstep polling round here has never faltered. Excellent results again tonight. Well up on 2015.
    Well done.

But may I ask for which party (I assume Conservatives) and in which constituency ?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

chestnut said:

We laugh at the Americans for Trump, but we have people willing to put Diane Abbott in charge of MI5.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

TudorRose said:

RobD said:

On that subject, Theresa May seems to contract some words to odd effect. She kept on saying that the care system will 'claps' without intervention, and likes to talk about the 'plice' service.
    Over here it's ardic, anardic, and nukelluh for arctic, antarctic and nuclear. Not to mention 'physical' when they mean fiscal.
  • Options
    Dadge said:

Quite a brutal analysis of the Tories' failings from Peston on the ITV news just now. If May sticks with negativity and fear, the election narrative might mirror the Brexit vote.

It is Corbyn spreading the fear on her social care plans
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,977
    Dadge said:

Height of irony if we "Took Back Control" and handed it to a genuinely left-wing government. The look on the faces of Hannan, Farage and Boris! :)
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Even Corbyn's side know what his downfall will be. Labour members may not care but the general public will

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2015/08/07/the-idea-that-jeremy-corbyn-laid-the-foundations-for-peace-in-northern-ireland-is-total-fantasy/

Surely the Tories have something lined up about this - it seems to me they are leaving it late to go big. Perhaps it will be left to Andrew Neil to hammer it home
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    RobD said:

No thanks!
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Tim_B said:

chestnut said:

We laugh at the Americans for Trump, but we have people willing to put Diane Abbott in charge of MI5.
    It would give a whole new meaning to Black Ops.......
  • Options

Even Corbyn's side know what his downfall will be. Labour members may not care but the general public will

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2015/08/07/the-idea-that-jeremy-corbyn-laid-the-foundations-for-peace-in-northern-ireland-is-total-fantasy/

Surely the Tories have something lined up about this - it seems to me they are leaving it late to go big. Perhaps it will be left to Andrew Neil to hammer it home

Corbyn was in Hull tonight, May in Wrexham today, the Tories seem to be focusing on their target seats ready before a final avalanche, Corbyn on rallying his base
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Pong said:

IanB2 said:

AnneJGP said:

chloe said:

chloe said:

Pulpstar said:

chloe said:

They were going for the strong and stable narrative: look at me, I'm different from that loony Mr Corbyn because I'm taking difficult decisions t about hearing anything that sounds like a death duty or raid on your property. It's in the national psyche.
    snip

The second point is not correct. The house would not be sold. The Council would take a legal charge.

My guess is that a 10% charge on all estates would cause a shitstorm. My preference would be to eliminate almost all reliefs and exemptions for IHT, and cut the rate to 20%. But, the losers would howl.
    Alternatively increase council tax.

I can imagine how well that would received that would be.
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    Some belated thoughts on the Welsh poll.

This one looks much more realistic than last one.. The Tory surge in last poll was probably a snap reaction to Confident Teresa calling the election when she did and Corbyns bumbling reaction.it was never going to last.

Since then the spotlight on Nanny Teresa Maybe is starting to highlight her many flaws while at the same time Carwyn Jones has successfully distanced himself and the Welsh family from his idiot cousin in London.

This poll probably boosts Labour a bit more because of the untimely death of Rhodri Morgan who epitomised the best that Welsh Labour had to offer (note the past tense).

Plaid and LD are obviously feeling the squeeze at the moment but I expect both to firm up where they are strongest and voters can see a realistic alternative. The punters piling into Labour holding Ynys Mon may regret their actions as Plaid should not only win, but Uncle Albert will be pushed into third

But possible Conservative gains are looking slim....forget Bridgend - Carwyns castle...Newport West and Wrexham more likely . Maybe Delyn...but that is about that

And expect Labours only gain across the UK in Gower as local voters regret their decision last time...

• Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    PB Tories: Why the worry? You lot are going to win, maybe even win big. Yes, your leader is totoally hapless and quite frankly a bit sh*t, but Labour's leader is even worse.

Labour are not winning this election!! Can you f*cking relax now!
  • Options
    TWERK - to dance to popular music in a sexually provocative manner involving thrusting hip movements and a low, squatting stance.

Unless you're from Yorkshire, in which case it's where you go Monday to Friday.
  • Options
    Dixie

No idea why Corbyn & Co didn't try:

Rail, Mail, Water in public hands.
    Vote Labour and take back control.
  • Options

Yes. The IRA stuff will probably play out from Crosby in the final fortnight.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    So we've found some IRA violence that they're prepared to unequivocally condemn.
  • Options

So we've found some IRA violence that they're prepared to unequivocally condemn.
    Bravo.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Would anyone like to buy a kitchen shelving unit? It won't be so expensive that you have only £10 left in the bank. OK, if you insist, I'll discuss the option of a cap on the maximum price for the shelving unit, but only after the sale is agreed. Deal?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    - and he has refused a subpoena from a Senate committee. Apparently he plans to take the 5th on testimony. Not good.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,002

Edinburgh West (80%)
    Fife NE (50%)
    Dumbartonshire East (40%)
    Caithness, Sutherland & Easter Ross (60%)
    Argyll & Bute (33%)

Twickenham (40%)
    Bath (25%)
    Lewes (15%)
    Kingston-upon-Thames (15%)
    OxWAb (20%)

Cambridge (40%)
    Southwark (25%)
    Hornsey & Wood Green (5%)
    Vauxhall (0.1%)

Of course, there's a lot of correlation in these. Nevertheless, my money would be on them gaining two, or possibly three, seats in Scotland, plus Twickenham and Cambridge.

Against that, they'll almost certainly lose Carshalton, and Southport. North Norfolk is 50/50, and there has to be a fair chance they'll lose Sheffield Hallam. It's not implausible (15% chance) that they lose Leeds NW and even possible Westmoreland and Lonsdale.

Really, the only safe seat they have is Orkney & Shetland.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Thought I saw a headline "Prisoners to pay for their own care" !!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @TreyYingst: SCOOP: Three White House staffers have been identified for leaking classified info. POTUS will fire 'multiple people' when he returns to DC.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Scott_P said:

@TreyYingst: SCOOP: Three White House staffers have been identified for leaking classified info. POTUS will fire 'multiple people' when he returns to DC.

So Donald isn't one of the three?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,074
    Freggles said:

Scott_P said:

So Donald isn't one of the three?
    By definition he can't be. He can divulge anything to whomever he likes.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    bobajobPB said:

Dixie

No idea why Corbyn & Co didn't try:

Rail, Mail, Water in public hands.
    Vote Labour and take back control.

Because the last time they were in "the public's" hands it turned out it was more like the union's hands.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited May 2017

The only decent grass is a grass who grasses to JC - The Long Good Friday Agreement
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited May 2017
    rcs1000 said:

Edinburgh West (80%)

That's Conservative in my estimation. As in your odds, not who'll take the seat.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Edinburgh West (80%)
    Fife NE (50%)
    Dumbartonshire East (40%)
    Caithness, Sutherland & Easter Ross (60%)
    Argyll & Bute (33%)

Twickenham (40%)
    Bath (25%)
    Lewes (15%)
    Kingston-upon-Thames (15%)
    OxWAb (20%)

Cambridge (40%)
    Southwark (25%)
    Hornsey & Wood Green (5%)
    Vauxhall (0.1%)

Of course, there's a lot of correlation in these. Nevertheless, my money would be on them gaining two, or possibly three, seats in Scotland, plus Twickenham and Cambridge.

Against that, they'll almost certainly lose Carshalton, and Southport. North Norfolk is 50/50, and there has to be a fair chance they'll lose Sheffield Hallam. It's not implausible (15% chance) that they lose Leeds NW and even possible Westmoreland and Lonsdale.

Really, the only safe seat they have is Orkney & Shetland.
    Eastbourne, Cheltenham should feature on that list somewhere? Dementia tax might resonate in areas with high numbers of retirees, as I'm not sure Theresa's u-turn non u-turn has fully resolved yet.
This discussion has been closed.