Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on GE2017 looking a bit more competitive and TMay’s “soci

Comments

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,007
    Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

scotslass said:

rcs1000 Posts: 18,176
    10:53PM

In fact the sitting MP in Edinburgh West has not been charged with anything. I suggest you get your post down pronto before Mike does it for you - otherwise no 18,176 might be your last.

You are correct, and I apologise.
    Mr S - Do you still have your place on L.I.? I'm off to Shelter Island sometime during next week so I'll wave as I pass!
    Are you going via the South Fork or the North?
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    If say it was a piece of electrical equipment exploding, the fear of a stampede and people getting crushed I would imagine would be very real. Looks like the concert was finished and people were leaving.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    rcs1000 said:

Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

scotslass said:

In fact the sitting MP in Edinburgh West has not been charged with anything. I suggest you get your post down pronto before Mike does it for you - otherwise no 18,176 might be your last.

Mr S - Do you still have your place on L.I.? I'm off to Shelter Island sometime during next week so I'll wave as I pass!

Go via the north, it's prettier and less pretentious - or at least used to be...
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Y0kel said:

There is no clear incident reporting on this thing at Manchester Arena so far. None, so ffs wait.

BBC World News reported the two loud bangs, described it as an incident, then went on to an extended report on how Orangutans suckle their young longer than any other mammal and what that means for family stability.

As Fox News would say, that's fair and balanced.
  • Options
    GMP Facebook page says 'a number of confirmed fatalities'. Sounding bleak.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    A number of confirmed fatalities - source still unstated - but mayor says bomb
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

GMP Facebook page says 'a number of confirmed fatalities'. Sounding bleak.

Oh God.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Bugger, this looks bad.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    jonny83 said:
    You sure that's genuine......tirelessly seems strange wording to me....sick if so.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,487

jonny83 said:
    You sure that's genuine......tirelessly seems strange wording to me....sick if so.
    Yup is genuine

https://twitter.com/gmpolice/status/866786909544230912
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    BBC News confirming a number of fatalities
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    The Manchester Evening News say Police have confirmed fatalities..
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

scotslass said:

Probably South - Outerbridge Crossing is my preferred crossing point. Getting from there to the L.I.E. is a real pain during weekdays, so I usually go the southern way.
  • Options
    Feck
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Tim_B said:

Y0kel said:

There is no clear incident reporting on this thing at Manchester Arena so far. None, so ffs wait.

BBC World News reported the two loud bangs, described it as an incident, then went on to an extended report on how Orangutans suckle their young longer than any other mammal and what that means for family stability.

The problem is that we just don't know why yet. Yes its a fair target for malicious attack, in fact its a great target but the reporting even with news of fatalities is vague.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    GMP "number of fatalities". Puts politics into perspective.
  • Options
    MTimT said:

rcs1000 said:

Tim_B said:

rcs1000 said:

scotslass said:

Go via the north, it's prettier and less pretentious - or at least used to be...
    Yes, North Fork is a prettier option - wineries and all - but you have to get to the L.I.E. Therein lies the problem. If I was coming up I-95 I'd knock on your door at midnight! :wink:
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Helen Pidd ✔ @helenpidd
    Group of lads from Sheffield say they heard a bang stage right, saw smoke coming from the @ManchesterArena entrance. Saw 5+ casualties
  • Options
    Bbc tweet saying might have been balloon setting off panic.... best to wait. Logging off.
  • Options
    Thoughts and good wishes to everyone concerned. Bloody hell...teenage kids ffs.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Tim_B said:

Y0kel said:

The problem is that we just don't know why yet. Yes its a fair target for malicious attack, in fact its a great target but the reporting even with news of fatalities is vague.
    But their Orangutan reporting was spot on.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    valleyboy said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Penddu said:

And expect Labours only gain across the UK in Gower as local voters regret their decision last time...

I reckon Byron will get back in with an increased majority. His seat has 2015 Nuneaton written all over it.
    I think Byron is helped by UKIP standing. UKIP take votes from the northern industrial part of the constituency.
    Ynys Mons Plaid; Gower Labour could happen, I'm betting against it though !
    I think you are wrong about Ynys Mon.

If the Labour vote had collapsed, then the Tories would take it -- courtesy of Labour voters who prefer to see a Tory than Plaid.

Also, the PC candidate is the former MP/AM for Ynys Mon and Former Deputy First Minister of Wales (Ieuan Wyn Jones). He’ll have a personal vote, and can call in favours.
    Hmm looking back at the Welsh Assembly votes I can't see any evidence of a personal vote for Ieuan Wyn Jones whatsoever. The majority substantially increased when Rhun ap Iorwerth ran..

Similiarly neither Alistair Carmichael nor Dennis Skinner has a personal vote when you examine the previous histories of Orkney and Bolsover.

I'm prepared to take a gamble on Labour there at between 10 and 12 to 1 anyway.
    Ynys Mon is,fascinating. Plaid vote is a bit shaky at the moment and Labour have a habit of hanging on there. Tories must be in with a shout though. Really haven't a clue. On the other hand had a small wager on Lab in Gower.
    I used a free bet on Ynys Mon, Labour hold at 10/1. My thinking is simply that Plaid are generally a bit of a damp squib in general elections, and the Tories will struggle to surge from 3rd here with a split opposition, so will struggle to benefit from any anti-labour tactical voting. It will be the result of the night for me if Labour hold it.
  • Options
    Those poor kids. Thoughts with everyone with people in the emergency services tonight.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    Spokesman for Ariana Grande says singer is OK
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    The demographic targetted here is going to broadly be ~ 11 - 16 year old girls isn't it ?

Sick.
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    Serious question.....who on earth is Ariana Grande?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Oh fuckity fuck fuck fuck....
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Y0kel said:

Tim_B said:

Y0kel said:

But their Orangutan reporting was spot on.
    Check that with Sean Spicer, he may disagree
  • Options
    Casualties "young children"...Lord have mercy!
  • Options
    Penddu said:

not just me then.....
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    4 years to the day from Lee Rigbys death.
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    Lot's of parents waiting to pick young ones up after gig.
  • Options
    Will be a lot of teenagers at that concert. My cousin is 14 and was with her mum at the concert.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Will be a lot of teenagers at that concert. My cousin is 14 and was with her mum at the concert.

Hope they are both okay.
  • Options
    BBC say police confirmed 'a number of fatalities' in Manchester at concert.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Floater said:

Penddu said:

not just me then.....
    She's a young singer from the same mould as other ex Disney stars like Miley Cyrus - means the audience would be predominantly teenage girls, and so they were expressly targeting children.
  • Options
    RobD said:

jonny83 said:

Hope they are both okay.
    They are, got out ok. Shaken up by the noise and people screaming and rushing to get out, I think luckily they were pretty close to an exit when whatever actually happened.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Hope they ok
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Casualties "young children"...Lord have mercy!

Fuck - seriously, just fuck
  • Options
    Reading the Guardian with eyewitnesses, it does sound like a bomb in one part of the seating area

Utter scum if so given the children there inevitably...but too early for sure.
  • Options
    Ariana Grande is an anagram of Agrarian Dean
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

RobD said:

jonny83 said:

Hope they are both okay.
    They are, got out ok. Shaken up by the noise and people screaming and rushing to get out, I think luckily they were pretty close to an exit when whatever actually happened.
    Best wishes and all to them.
  • Options
    There is a really horrific picture on twitter. I don't know if it is legit, but looks like it.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

There is a really horrific picture on twitter. I don't know if it is legit, but looks like it.

It's not legit.

It's from a training exercise a few years ago.

Because they've updated the colour scheme inside the Arena since then
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

RobD said:

jonny83 said:

Hope they are both okay.
    So very glad to hear they ok
  • Options
    21 000 at the gig. Recipe for chaos. Hope things turn out better than they seem now.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214
    Thoughts and prayers with those at the Manchester concert tonight.

My son is at the Uni there but is OK - revising for exams I'm pleased to say.
  • Options

It's not legit.

Sick fuckers...
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Sickening news from Manchester. Hope it's not as bad as it looks.
  • Options

It's not legit.

Sick fuckers...
    I know the Arena very well, seen a lot of gigs there.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    Dura_Ace said:

TGOHF said:

Manchester bomb thing looks nasty.

Very handy for May. She'll get to wheel out her Servalan act.
    oh fuck off you utter cretin.
  • Options
    So many mixed reports out there. Some think a sound system blew and caused a crush. Whatever happened confirmed fatalities and likely teenagers among them considering the concert.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Dura_Ace said:

TGOHF said:

Manchester bomb thing looks nasty.

oh fuck off you utter cretin.
    Seconded
  • Options
    Owen Jones is off tweeting Manchester shall never be beaten eulogies...... ffs it's about kids and getting them reunited with their parents asap. Been taking ms. Scrap to loads of gigs and this is her mums worst nightmare whenever we've gone.....horrendous.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2017
    Tom Newton Dunn‏Verified account @tnewtondunn 1m1 minute ago

Tim Farron already commenting on Manchester explosion - "a shocking and horrific attack targeting children". No confirmation of this yet.

--

Caution advised.....

I assume tim is smart/well connected enough to know when the balance of probability has tipped though.
  • Options
    Just a thought, so far not a lot of indication of shrapnel injuries but early, fairly limited images.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Tim Farron already commenting on Manchester explosion - "a shocking and horrific attack targeting children". No confirmation of this yet.

--

Caution advised.....

I assume tim is smart/well connected enough to know when the balance of probability has tipped though.

I don't know for certain but you would presume that party leaders are informed when attacks happen?
  • Options

Pong said:

--

Caution advised.....

I don't know for certain but you would presume that party leaders are informed when attacks happen?
    I believe Corbyn has issued a statement too
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Why would campaigning be disrespectful to the dead? Should we all.stay home, out of mourning? None of us go into work?
  • Options

Pong said:

--

Caution advised.....

Not this quickly direct from authority no, unless via private or 3rd party contacts.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Pong said:

--

Caution advised.....

I believe Corbyn has issued a statement too
    Yup but not implying yet it's an attack
  • Options
    20 to 30 bodies in room by ticket office according to witnesses
  • Options

Lets hope that is a rumour
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569

Why would campaigning be disrespectful to the dead? Should we all.stay home, out of mourning? None of us go into work?
    Leaders will visit the scene as a show of unity and to thank emergency services for their work.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822

Seriously?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Dura_Ace said:

:(
  • Options
    Whatever happened was in foyer - so not a speaker if correct

British transport police say it was an explosion
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Seriously?
    It's what I've read from someone who wouldn't make this up
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Floater said:

NBC reporter on twitter is saying 20+ dead.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Yeah but what type.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Makes sense if detonated just as the encore ended and lights went up. Would do max harm as people leaving.
  • Options

Floater said:

Jeez, that's terrible.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Floater said:

This sounds terrible.

When I read the first report at the Mail I thought it was going to be something relatively minor...
  • Options
    RobD said:

Floater said:

Jeez, that's terrible.
    Saying now 100s injuried.
  • Options
    Tom Newton Dunn saying unconfirmed reports it was a nail bomb.
  • Options
    Hearing from friends at home that they could feel the explosion, so we need to brace ourselves, I think.
  • Options

Tom Newton Dunn saying unconfirmed reports it was a nail bomb.

Sick. at a concert full of children/teens.
  • Options
    Again, I'm going to say wait. Something that destructive looks like an deliberate explosion but in any densely packed area any large bang accidental or not is going to cause damage.

Eyewitness reports really lack any thread.
  • Options
    That's the GE off the top of the media for the rest of the week.
  • Options
    Looking at Tim Farron's statement and the language used he must know something. You can't use that sort of language otherwise.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

Again, I'm going to say wait. Something that destructive looks like an deliberate explosion but in any densely packed area any large bang accidental or not is going to cause damage.

You are right - it could be the stampede which caused the fatalities after a minor explosion. As ever, getting ahead of myself.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/22/manchester-arena-evacuated-reports-gunshots-explosion/

sound of explosion there
  • Options
    Ok, the suicide bomber(s) idea is now being floated.
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    Y0kel said:

floated by who ?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Y0kel said:

You are right - it could be the stampede which caused the fatalities after a minor explosion. As ever, getting ahead of myself.
    Sky saying "huge explosion that knocked people off their feet" (reports I should say)
  • Options
    Heartbreaking call of eyewitness on Radio Manc - bomb in the foyer.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited May 2017
    If this is an islamist attack, I'm afraid we need to implement what SeanT has been advocating. Ban cousin marriages, ban the face veil, prosecute FGM, ban foreign funding for Mosques, close down salafi/whabbist mosques etc etc. We need to push the extremists out. We do the above and they will go.

I have been very reluctant to say this, but we clearly have a much bigger problem on our hands then we ever thought we would.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    Awful news. I am really starting to feel on edge in crowded places.
  • Options
    PaulM said:

Y0kel said:

floated by who ?
    Its been floated, thats all.
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359
    There's video floating around of armed police arresting someone.
  • Options

Floater said:

Makes sense if detonated just as the encore ended and lights went up. Would do max harm as people leaving.
    Went 2 see a gig on Friday. Did (briefly) cross my mind what a bomb in the foyer could do. Lost for words right now.
  • Options
    nunu said:

If this is an islamist attack, I'm afraid we need to implement what SeanT has been advocating. Ban cousin marriages, ban the face veil, prosecute FGM, ban forein funding for Mosques, close down salafi/whabbist mosques etc etc. We need to push the extremists out. We do the above and they will go.

WAIT until we find out the facts!!!!!
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    nunu said:

If this is an islamist attack, I'm afraid we need to implement what SeanT has been advocating. Ban cousin marriages, ban the face veil, prosecute FGM, ban foreign funding for Mosques, close down salafi/whabbist mosques etc etc. We need to push the extremists out. We do the above and they will go.

I have been very reluctant to say this, but we clearly have a much bigger problem on our hands then we ever thought we would.

How exactly are any of those going to stop maniacs with nail bombs?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Y0kel said:

If you look at some of the walking wounded, no shrapnel, all lower limbs and bleeding ears so a people knocked over situation is likely. What we don't see is who is being wheeled out.

Credit to the cops they look to have made a tight cordon against media.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2017
    Rhubarb said:

There's video floating around of armed police arresting someone.

AIUI, arrests of anyone who looks even remotely suspicious is pretty much par for the course in a situation like this.
  • Options
    Please can we keep speculation to the minimum...it really doesn't help...
This discussion has been closed.