Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on GE2017 looking a bit more competitive and TMay’s “soci

SystemSystem Posts: 11,685
edited May 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on GE2017 looking a bit more competitive and TMay’s “social care” turnaround

As well as what’s being described as a U-turn over her manifesto pledge on social care there’ve been two new polls during the day all showing LAB making progress.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2017
    Current thoughts...

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Welsh book set up against Plaid Cmyru pretty much now.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    Still think is the story of the day

https://twitter.com/theousherwood/status/866684809741037573

Just remember in 2015 that sources close to Sir Lynton NEVER EVER complained about Dave or the campaign.

So that's a yuuuuge intervention.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited May 2017

Just remember in 2015 that sources close to Sir Lynton NEVER EVER complained about Dave or the campaign.

How many such stories might make their way onto the pages of the Evening Standard, I wonder?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

How may such stories might make their way onto the pages of the Evening Standard, I wonder?
    No idea.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    Can something not be done about these multiple threads?

May was eviscerated on PM in highly entertaining style. And the Tories declined to put a spokesperson up! On PM!
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    The Neil interview tonight is a chance for her to tourniquet the wound. OTOH if she buckles the slump goes on.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Mr. Eagles, you may be right.

As an aside, the Con share hasn't changed that much, nationwide, right? It's mostly Labour surging.
  • Options
    You know what? Screw it, I'm calling it, the u turn will damage the Tories more than the original proposal. Watch it unfold and if I'm wrong I'm losing money
  • Options
    edited May 2017

As an aside, the Con share hasn't changed that much, nationwide, right? It's mostly Labour surging.

The third parties (Except the SNP) are getting squeezed like there is no tommorow. Namely Plaid, UKIP, Greens and the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Do we have today's pampers count for the PB Tory bedwetters ?

I fear a surge from 7:30pm after the Andrew Neil/Theresa May interview.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

The Neil interview tonight is a chance for her to tourniquet the wound. OTOH if she buckles the slump goes on.

she should drop all this nanny state stuff and give us some real tory red meat. A tax cut now!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited May 2017
    Scott_P said:
    The good news for Tess is that most people will be watching Emmerdale Farm and Coronation Street so hardly anyone will see it...
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

So it seems, inexplicably (if there was a response to poor Tory policies, you'd figure there'd be drop off too, of more significant size).

I see normal service resumed in Wales. Either the original polls were just wrong, the surge is wrong, or people in Wales and other areas are really spooked by a big Tory lead (which in Wales, is any Tory lead).
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    FPT:

Don't know why this site worships ICM so much when they hardly smashed the last election. It was even an ICM poll which showed Labour ahead by about 2 or so points in the last stage of the campaign.

In the EU referendum it was Survation who polled closest to the result.

Nick Timothy needs to be cancelled.

May running government around her advisors is not a strategy unique to her - Cameron and Osborne did it as well. Though I think looking at New Labour and post 2010 Conservative governments government by SpAd has been tried and tested to destruction.

The worry for May isn't that she'll lose the GE. The worry is far bigger than that, it's clear that she is has nowhere near the competence to negotiate a good Brexit deal. Neither does Corbyn. Britain's poor leaders will lead the country off a cliff.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Time to send Michael Fallon out again with his back stabbing agenda.
  • Options
    These districts are evil beinchord bastarts!

https://twitter.com/BryanDawsonUSA/status/866697189627658240

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,626
    GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    The good news for Tess is that most people will be watching Emmerdale and Coronation Street so hardly anyone will see it...
    We'll see. I think quite a few will tune in.

May will, probably, do fine. Forewarned, and all the rest of it, she'll have been briefed and prepared to the gills.
    If she blows it, then it really will tarnish the brand.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    TM is a wounded fox - will Neil show metropolitan compassion or a countryside mercy killing ?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283

Can something not be done about these multiple threads?

May was eviscerated on PM in highly entertaining style. And the Tories declined to put a spokesperson up! On PM!

The "we asked the Conservatives to put up a minister but they declined" is heard several times a day now.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249
    calum said:

TM is a wounded fox - will Neil show metropolitan compassion or a countryside mercy killing ?

:lol:
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    JackW said:

Do we have today's pampers count for the PB Tory bedwetters ?

I fear a surge from 7:30pm after the Andrew Neil/Theresa May interview.

no adverts for them or incontinence pads either appearing on my personalised sidebars which is unfortunate given today's developments.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

You know what? Screw it, I'm calling it, the u turn will damage the Tories more than the original proposal. Watch it unfold and if I'm wrong I'm losing money

Nah. She's taking the hit, it's deeply embarrassing, it will impact her personal ratings, but no one wants to vote for Corbyn. She's given the people an excuse to forgive her, and vote for her, even if they now think she is a "silly woman" (like my Mum does)

But she certainly needs a flawless campaign from now on, and a relentless focus on Labour's ludicrous proposals and even more ludicrous leader.

I expect the polls to steady, and, if there are no more gaffes, perhaps a slight drifting back from Labour's recent highs.

She is still on a fairly remarkable 47 points with ICM. That would, I am sure, give her a three figure majority. If it did, we would soon forget Dementia Fuel Multifuck.
    I take your point but these things do have a habit of snowballing.
    I'm off for the evening anyway, cheerio all
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

John Major on Corbyn's clear and present danger to national security might also be played?
  • Options
    Overarching theme of all the welsh polls is a big return to two party politics in Wales.
  • Options

FPT:

Don't know why this site worships ICM so much when they hardly smashed the last election. It was even an ICM poll which showed Labour ahead by about 2 or so points in the last stage of the campaign.

In the EU referendum it was Survation who polled closest to the result.

Nick Timothy needs to be cancelled.

May running government around her advisors is not a strategy unique to her - Cameron and Osborne did it as well. Though I think looking at New Labour and post 2010 Conservative governments government by SpAd has been tried and tested to destruction.

The worry for May isn't that she'll lose the GE. The worry is far bigger than that, it's clear that she is has nowhere near the competence to negotiate a good Brexit deal. Neither does Corbyn. Britain's poor leaders will lead the country off a cliff.

I agree, it's why a very tight result will be far better than a May majority of 150. It will force the sensible to work together to defeat the loonies on right and left.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    nunu said:

she should drop all this nanny state stuff and give us some real tory red meat. A tax cut now!
    The way the Conservative campaign is progressing it would be a tax cut for IRA paedophiles.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,128
    GIN1138 said:
    In a rational world, changing your opinion isn't a bad thing; it's only natural. But my God, if you inhabit a world in which you feel compelled to tell people you're "strong and stable" twenty times a minute, a U-turn is a hell of a handicap.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288

I don't think so.

Most people don't follow politics remotely closely - they don't care about the political intrigue (eg what Crosby thinks) or ups and downs - all they care about is big picture.

They were worried about social care plans - not that worry will have been eased.

In terms of leader perception / personality, May is miles ahead of Corbyn and U-turn won't be enough to change that.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    SeanT said:

Nah. She's taking the hit, it's deeply embarrassing, it will impact her personal ratings, but no one wants to vote for Corbyn. She's given the people an excuse to forgive her, and vote for her, even if they now think she is a "silly woman" (like my Mum does)

But she certainly needs a flawless campaign from now on, and a relentless focus on Labour's ludicrous proposals and even more ludicrous leader.

I expect the polls to steady, and, if there are no more gaffes, perhaps a slight drifting back from Labour's recent highs.

She is still on a fairly remarkable 47 points with ICM. That would, I am sure, give her a three figure majority. If it did, we would soon forget Dementia Fuel Multifuck.
    We're all waiting with baited breath to hear what Mrs Thomas' take on the U-Turn is... ;)
  • Options
    I asked Ben Page when we could expect the next Ipsos MORI poll, this is his reply

'sure a poll will be along soon - i think ones later this week after dust settled on both manifestos will be most interesting'
  • Options
    JackW said:

nunu said:

The way the Conservative campaign is progressing it would be a tax cut for IRA paedophiles.
    from eton
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976
    nunu said:

She didn't rule out tax rises...so no luck there.
  • Options
    LBC special report on Wales on now...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    MikeL said:

I don't think so.

Most people don't follow politics remotely closely - they don't care about the political intrigue (eg what Crosby thinks) or ups and downs - all they care about is big picture.

They were worried about social care plans - not that worry will have been eased.

In terms of leader perception / personality, May is miles ahead of Corbyn and U-turn won't be enough to change that.
    Yes? Thank god normal voters aren't like us who hyper-analyse everything. Feeling all SeanT this morning.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Rob's graph - worth noting that LDs appear to have stabilised.

Thus swing this week looks like direct Con to Lab: Con -2, Lab +3, LD 0, UKIP -1.

So Con down 2 from previous week and approx 1.5 from earlier in the campaign.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1I8s2PaGt5Tv6jHgXBRqqZsqU1Qh28CaOdiBDok6Ty5c/edit#gid=1573382235
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    kle4 said:

So it seems, inexplicably (if there was a response to poor Tory policies, you'd figure there'd be drop off too, of more significant size).

I see normal service resumed in Wales. Either the original polls were just wrong, the surge is wrong, or people in Wales and other areas are really spooked by a big Tory lead (which in Wales, is any Tory lead).
    How far adrift is this latest Welsh poll from the local election results?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    Pulpstar said:

The third parties (Except the SNP) are getting squeezed like there is no tommorow. Namely Plaid, UKIP, Greens and the Lib Dems.
    Even the SNP are down by 5 to 10% in most polls
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT What do you think the cap will be ? I imagine Crosby will tell her not to say tonight in the Andrew Neil interview .The ball will be kicked into the long grass never to be found again.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

I don't think so.

Why would the worry have been eased? You're now voting for an unknown outcome. She hasn't ditched the policy, just said it will be modified but not how.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    MikeL said:

I don't think so.

Exactly - I'm The World's Most Anxious Tory Voter (TM - geddit?) and my anxiety levels dropped from 90% to 10% after the u-turn. A rubbish policy has been fixed - that's a great thing to be trumpeted far and wide.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

SeanT said:

SeanT What do you think the cap will be ? I imagine Crosby will tell her not to say tonight in the Andrew Neil interview .The ball will be kicked into the long grass never to be found again.
    Which would be a shame, especially if the situation is as perilous as has been described.
  • Options
    blueblue said:

MikeL said:

I don't think so.

Exactly - I'm The World's Most Anxious Tory Voter (TM - geddit?) and my anxiety levels dropped from 90% to 10% after the u-turn. A rubbish policy has been fixed - that's a great thing to be trumpeted far and wide.
    But it hasn't been fixed! Which is why she could claim it wasn't a u-turn!
  • Options
    JackW said:

nunu said:

Well as Corbyn says the IRA are brave. They deserve a tax cut......
  • Options
    Nothing has changed May is loosing it .
  • Options

MikeL said:

I don't think so.

Why would the worry have been eased? You're now voting for an unknown outcome. She hasn't ditched the policy, just said it will be modified but not how.
    Because most people aren't close to the detail.

Big picture is there will be a cap - that's all people will care about.
  • Options
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Chris said:

Jason said:

Ishmael_Z said:

The u turn was a huge mistake. She should have taken the hit and moved the headlines on

You are confident she won't u-turn on the u-turn?

"These are my principles. If you don't like them, I have others".
    Shes awful on any level. So is Jezza. And Tim. It's a paucity of talent.
    She'll probably fall over the line with the help of Brexiteers but will look like an idiot for calling the election. On the other hand, maybe the electorate will say you know what? Screw this,. And vote for something odd.

She'll win easily. And that's when her - and our - troubles will really begin.

I don't think she will. I think the games up and it's gonna be a 2001 result - little change, but a collapse in confidence in her and Brussels planning an extra 50 billion bill.
    Looks like we have not one, but two characters from Dad's Army now - Corporal Jones (Sean T), and now Private Frazer.
    Wouldn't it be more fun to identify politicians as members of the Dad's Army cast?

Theresa May as Sergeant Wilson, Nigel Farage as Private Walker, Tim Farron as the Verger (obviously) and so on? Still trying to figure out where Jeremy Corbyn fits in.
    Theresa is clearly Captain May-nwaring. As some have noticed:
    Hammond almost reminds me of Arthur le mesurier...

https://www.thedailysatire.co.uk/single-post/2017/05/22/Day-32-33-Mums-Army-Tries-Not-to-Panic?

I'd cast Corbyn as Godfrey.
  • Options
    That's a bit naughty. It actually says "accessible", not "alternative".
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    I miss the good old days when a Tory PM screwing up a general election campaign was when they forgot which football team they support.
  • Options
    nunu said:

JackW said:

nunu said:

Well as Corbyn says the IRA are brave. They deserve a tax cut......
    Except that wasn't what he said..
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Chris said:

Jason said:

Ishmael_Z said:

The u turn was a huge mistake. She should have taken the hit and moved the headlines on

She'll probably fall over the line with the help of Brexiteers but will look like an idiot for calling the election. On the other hand, maybe the electorate will say you know what? Screw this,. And vote for something odd.

I don't think she will. I think the games up and it's gonna be a 2001 result - little change, but a collapse in confidence in her and Brussels planning an extra 50 billion bill.
    Looks like we have not one, but two characters from Dad's Army now - Corporal Jones (Sean T), and now Private Frazer.
    Wouldn't it be more fun to identify politicians as members of the Dad's Army cast?

Theresa May as Sergeant Wilson, Nigel Farage as Private Walker, Tim Farron as the Verger (obviously) and so on? Still trying to figure out where Jeremy Corbyn fits in.

https://www.thedailysatire.co.uk/single-post/2017/05/22/Day-32-33-Mums-Army-Tries-Not-to-Panic?

May is clearly Mainwaring... Incompetent and blustery..
  • Options

MikeL said:

I don't think so.

There will be a consultation, which will probably miraculously find that the cap needs to be £500K or some such figure which fits with the Treasury view.

There will then be a huge row, a threat of a backbench rebellion and it will be scaled back to £250K.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

nunu said:

She didn't rule out tax rises...so no luck there.
    ah but she didn't not not rule out tax cuts.....wait I've confused myself now.......
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited May 2017
    I am going to guess for example versions for people with disabilities...This is a f##king Graudian journalist, if the Tories didn't do an ones for people who struggle to read small type etc they would be doing their nut about them being disabilist.

I know where SeanT gets it from, they just go total bonkers sometimes.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Though I don't think the volatile polls will amount to much her modus operandi is a useful pointer to the pigs backside she's going to make of Brexit. The only future I can see for us is selling burkhas to the Saudis in car boot sales in Riyadh
  • Options
    UKIP has the stupidest voters - official:

...the mainstream party whose voters had the highest mean IQ was the Liberal Democrats, then the Conservatives, then Labour, and finally, bringing up the rear, Ukip. So more than ten years ago, the Labour party’s voters were not as intelligent as the Tories’, although more intelligent than Ukip’s....low intelligence was more strongly correlated with voting Labour in 2015 than it was with voting Ukip. Of the four main parties, Labour definitely attracted the least intelligent voters that year.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/05/stupid-stupid-votes/#
  • Options
    Chris said:

for the blind, large print or braille etc

but go on right ahead with this....
  • Options

I miss the good old days when a Tory PM screwing up a general election campaign was when they forgot which football team they support.

I dunno, the bit where Gordon Brown had his head in his hands in despair as he tried to answer questions in a radio station studio just after he had called a voter a bigot was up there!
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited May 2017
    Nice to see that you're more relaxed SeanT.

Remember, there is no way Labour can win with Corbyn in charge!
  • Options
    Chris said:

Suspect it was changed, the tweet was from earlier.
  • Options

I dunno, the bit where Gordon Brown had his head in his hands in despair as he tried to answer questions in a radio station studio just after he had called a voter a bigot was up there!
    Yes, the least May has not insulted any voter... yet :p
  • Options

I am going to guess for example versions for people with disabilities...This is a f##king Graudian journalist, if the Tories didn't do an ones for people who struggle to read small type etc they would be doing their nut about them being disabilist.

I know where SeanT gets it from, they just go total bonkers sometimes.
    At least someone being reasonable...

https://twitter.com/Markfergusonuk/status/866678074863210496
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605
    I did tell you days ago that Gower was back in play. On these figures it reverts to Labour. Hope you got on at 6/1 like I did.
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    LBC radio still hammering away at this chaos. Most callers still not happy. No minister's available for comment, which is not a good look. Theresa May needs some media training and should learn to relax more. She just rushes and stumbles over her words.

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Yorkcity said:

May is even more right than she was before (and in no need of incontinence pads, as your charge of "loosing it" seems to imply).
  • Options

another of my avatars...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxJKU9mRIR8
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:
    A very good article that hits two separate nails on the head.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited May 2017
    Nice one Marf.
    I'm looking for a 'toon of Rattys leaving a sinking ship.
    Edit: But I'm not sure which ship it should be. I can think of at least three.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Chris said:

Jason said:

Ishmael_Z said:

May is clearly Mainwaring... Incompetent and blustery..
    You may be right. In suggesting Wilson I'd seen her as grey and ineffectual.

Private Godfrey perhaps= Boris Johnson thirty years on.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Yorkcity said:

SeanT said:

I expect her to park the bus, and say There will be consultations, a Green Paper, perhaps she might go as far as to say We're looking at numbers (of a reassuring kind); I hope she will say We have listened, we know this frightens people, we want to make sure everyone can hand on as much of their home as possible...

She'll need a form of words which gives the impression a total U-turn has been performed, without explicitly committing to absolute reversal. Wonder if Neil will let her get away with it...
    Just said on BBC 6 news Neil could not get an answer out of May on cap.Just further consultations.Must be prepared recorded this afternoon.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

SeanT said:

Yorkcity said:

SeanT said:

I expect her to park the bus, and say There will be consultations, a Green Paper, perhaps she might go as far as to say We're looking at numbers (of a reassuring kind); I hope she will say We have listened, we know this frightens people, we want to make sure everyone can hand on as much of their home as possible...

She'll need a form of words which gives the impression a total U-turn has been performed, without explicitly committing to absolute reversal. Wonder if Neil will let her get away with it...
    Just said on BBC 6 news Neil could not get an answer out of May on cap.Just further consultations.Must be prepared recorded this afternoon.
    The BBC will be editing it to make it as Tory friendly as possible with them having Laura and Neil on their payroll.... [predictive tweets]

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,976

LBC radio still hammering away at this chaos. Most callers still not happy. No minister's available for comment, which is not a good look. Theresa May needs some media training and should learn to relax more. She just rushes and stumbles over her words.

The lack of spokesperson is never a good look. Imagine people have other "pressing engagements", since they won't have any of the details, and the policy could change at any time. It is the drawback of a Presidential campaign.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

SeanT said:

Yorkcity said:

SeanT said:

And it rolls on...
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited May 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

Yorkcity said:

May is even more right than she was before (and in no need of incontinence pads, as your charge of "loosing it" seems to imply).
    That made me laugh!
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    The Welsh numbers feed into my scepticism about YouGov. Wobbling about all over the place. Am much more inclined to take ICM seriously - they've been very consistent up until today, and the picture they present - of the Tories holding more-or-less stable whilst the anti-Tory vote coalesces around Labour - makes considerably more sense.

Meanwhile, been watching the local news this evening. Anglia are doing a trip down the A10, stopping off at a different town each day to interview people about the election. Today they started off in Downham Market, a town in Norfolk quite a long way from London, which is neither particularly wealthy nor poor. The main subjects raised by the townsfolk were jobs and Brexit. Little sign of a rebellion over elderly care in a place where there aren't too many huge inheritances at stake.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

The lack of spokesperson is never a good look. Imagine people have other "pressing engagements", since they won't have any of the details, and the policy could change at any time. It is the drawback of a Presidential campaign.
    Failing to appear on PM just enabled Humphreys to take the piss with some American infomercial on how to perform a U-turn.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    News coming in of 4 arrests at Lancs CC County Hall Preston including 2 former Chief Executives of the council and leading Conservative councillor Geoff Driver who was due to become Leader of The Council on Thursday . It is along ongoing police investigation but I am not au fait with all the background .
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Yorkcity said:

SeanT said:

Yorkcity said:

SeanT said:

Some U turn!

Heaven only knows the cap that was previously proposed was meaningless enough. Now we have only the promise that they will consider a cap that may turn out to be even more meaningless.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

The Welsh numbers feed into my scepticism about YouGov. Wobbling about all over the place. Am much more inclined to take ICM seriously - they've been very consistent up until today, and the picture they present - of the Tories holding more-or-less stable whilst the anti-Tory vote coalesces around Labour - makes considerably more sense.

Meanwhile, been watching the local news this evening. Anglia are doing a trip down the A10, stopping off at a different town each day to interview people about the election. Today they started off in Downham Market, a town in Norfolk quite a long way from London, which is neither particularly wealthy nor poor. The main subjects raised by the townsfolk were jobs and Brexit. Little sign of a rebellion over elderly care in a place where there aren't too many huge inheritances at stake.

A "rogue poll" has always been one that a PB poster disagrees with!
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    calum said:
    That "Magic Money Forest" that Labour discovered to fund their manifesto pledges must have more trees in it than we thought....
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Yorkcity said:

Congrats on FA trophy.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Disraeli said:

calum said:
    That "Magic Money Forest" that Labour discovered to fund their manifesto pledges must have more trees in it than we thought....
    Need to plant a few more !

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/general-election/kezia-dugdale-vote-labour-to-ditch-divisive-snp-and-tories-1-4453526
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    BBC London News leading with a lack of candidates from ethnic minorities standing in London.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869
    Disraeli said:

calum said:
    And yet IFS found a £40bn black hole in Tories one

How much has that increased by he supposed U Turn?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    IanB2 said:

Pong said:

Jeez.

The conservative retired homeowners party haven't got a hope in hell of addressing intergenerational unfairness.

The baby boomers will be protected from the costs of brexit.

The young will pay.

That is a heartrending post, Pong, and one with which I can only agree, with great sadness.

Puts all this GE crap into perspective. Thanks.
    That is the one tragic thing. Public services desperately need proper funding, and there is sense in trying to tap into some of the windfall wealth of older property owners. To their credit the LibDems were the first to explore this with their Mansion Tax, Labour had a brave attempt with its estate levy - both savagely and cynically attacked by the Tories, of course - and now even the Tories are prepared to look at it. Inter-generational unfairness will be impossible to deliver if everything has to be paid for by the working age population, or the cost shunted off into the future.

Yes, the Tories have made a complete hash of handling the issue from start to finish (or middle, which is probably where we are). But let's not lose sight of the bigger picture.

It's a perfect example of why our political system is too short term and adversarial to tackle the big issues in any sort of sensible way.
    It's deeply frustrating.

There are good people in all parties (possibly barring UKIP!) who get it - and I think TM is one of them. As we've seen today, she just can't stand up to the pressure.
  • Options

Disraeli said:

calum said:
    And yet IFS found a £40bn black hole in Tories one

How much has that increased by he supposed U Turn?
    IFS analysis due out tomorrow.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

BBC London News leading with a lack of candidates from ethnic minorities standing in London.

Lib dems want to maintain their record?
  • Options
    Disraeli said:

calum said:
    When you can grow your own trees, you can have a magic money forest, I guess....

But keep these promises up and the grey vote might just decamp, then god only knows what happens.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    tlg86 said:

Yawn.
  • Options
    valleyboy said:

I did tell you days ago that Gower was back in play. On these figures it reverts to Labour. Hope you got on at 6/1 like I did.

Fair play on that one. I'm on the other side but Rhondda and Yns Mons even better Lab bets in my opinion.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Pulpstar said:

valleyboy said:

Fair play on that one. I'm on the other side but Rhondda and Yns Mons even better Lab bets in my opinion.
    Cardiff North is where it's at IMO.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    The YouGov Wales poll has 7% of the 2015 Tory vote going over to Labour. Compared to 5% of the 2015 Lab vote going the other way.

Labour also getting a respectable 29% of the Welsh Leave vote (as well as 57% of the Remain vote).
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,462

Still think is the story of the day

https://twitter.com/theousherwood/status/866684809741037573

Hugely unprofessional.
This discussion has been closed.